Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Renault tries to take over Jaguar. Ford says no!

Why buy Jag when Renault-Nissan has not even begun introducing Infinitis to Europe? IMO the performance/handling attributes of Infinitis are far more suitable for European tastes than Lexuses.

link title
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Simply for the big name and what it represents. What does Infiniti, or Acura, mean to Europeans? Nothing. Lexus barely has its toes in the water in Europe. Infiniti and Acura havent even taken their shoes off.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Many years ago I owned a Renault Dauphine. It had about 35hp and could barely get up hills in any gear. It was the little engine that couldn't, but while trying, the rubber hose to the carbureter would pop out, spraying fuel all over the engine compartment. It should have come with fire extinguisher standard.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    While driving at night in a rural area over 20 years ago, I crested a hill & encountered a Renault Le Car, parked by the side of the road & burning brightly. The owner was standing nearby.

I asked him if he needed any help. "No thanks", he said. "I'm OK & I rescued my favorite tapes. Everything's fine."

He seemed oddly happy.
    It should have come with fire extinguisher standard.

a Renault Le Car, parked by the side of the road & burning brightly. The owner was standing nearby.
    I asked him if he needed any help. "No thanks", he said. "I'm OK & I rescued my favorite tapes. Everything's fine."

That explains everything.
    Now I know why there were so many burning cars in the subrubs of Paris ;)
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I put a link sometime ago for an UK test report of the French Citroen C6 on another thread:
    http://212.227.48.10/downloads/testberichte/en1118397377autocar_05_2005.pdf

But it did not attract any good comment.

The problem with this car is that it is quite heavy and its 200 HP V6 is pretty strained. The Euromix mileage are comparable to that of a BMW 750i, so it is not a fuel saving car.
    It sells for about 60K USD in Europe so it would not be a success in the US

I like the look, but this car is priced too expensive and lacks a 250+ HP engine.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    Seems a fair alternative to the M5

Is it sold on the US market?

http://212.227.48.10/downloads/testberichte/en1105370122AUTOCAR_0804.pdf

"if you're contemplating buying a super-saloon next year, it's imperative you try a B5"
    This seems to be an understatement
    The problem with this car is that it is quite heavy and its 200 HP V6 is pretty strained. The Euromix mileage are comparable to that of a BMW 750i, so it is not a fuel saving car.
    It sells for about 60K USD in Europe so it would not be a success in the US

The Citroen C6 would be a disaster in North America. Overpirced underpowered gas-consuming cars have no place here.

I will clarify my prior statement about liking French cars:

I like French styling and and the same time hate their engineering!

The BMW Alpina B5 in North America? Maybe it will be a hit, but personally I would rather own a BMW 550i with a stick than a auto B5.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, interesting car...

A couple of thoughts:
    1) No manual transmission... Damn shame that.
    2) No LSD, maybe an option later. Geez, I found myself wishing for an LSD unit on my lowly 530i SP. How could Alpina miss that one?

Those two reservations aside, nice car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Very few of us who participate here, I’d wager, actually spend any significant track time behind the wheel of our very own $50,000 cars. It is probably also reasonable to assume that we rarely spend any time driving anyone’s car “at the track.”

My wife and I have been members of the “quattro club” and have been to gatherings (in the US) but never driven any car on a closed track at one of these events. We have, at our own expense, been through Audi’s driver's school in Seefeld, Austria four times and at these events we drove Audi's then current A4 manual transmission quattro's equipped with the most powerful engine du jour and a sport suspension on a closed course.

Twice we have been to all day Porsche Driving Experience events as “secret” guests of our Audi dealer. Last year we also participated in a Car & Driver event where we evaluated a pair of Cadillac’s against a BMW and a Lexus also on a closed course.

With the reach of the Internet, it is likely that some folks who participate or simply read anonymously our ramblings have also participated in some fashion in some event(s); but, I would be quite surprised to learn that many folks actually buy one of these Premium Sports Sedans and “run it at the limit” on a track or other closed course in a supervised and sanctioned event – even rarely.

Where I am taking this is in a direction that many of you long time participants will know me well for: 2WD has, or is, as of 2005, entering a new phase, “The Beginning of the End.”

Now, I do not think the end will come quickly; and, in fact, I don’t think the end will literally be complete and total anytime soon, if ever. What I suspect will happen is that 2WD will become a “novelty” or an attribute of “economy” vehicles.

I am sure to “arouse the hackles” of folks here for saying this, I know – but save for “pure” sports cars and el cheapo cars (the first round of Chinese cars, spring to mind), 2WD’s best days are behind it. Broadly, I think this applies to its use for performance, safety, fun and yes, pragmatism. 2WD is – with the possible exception of “on the track or closed course” – not the highest performance, safest, most fun or even terribly practical, beyond its cost factor. There are numerous public domain arguments demonstrating AWD’s “winning ways,” i.e.

Here in the US, I would imagine that a BMW sedan (no offense to X3 & X5 owners) that can be equipped with X-drive, a proper Sport Package and more than 6 cylinders will be “the bellwether” of AWD’s preeminence over 2WD – even though as a long time Audi aficionado and maven it somewhat galls me to suggest this.

Yet – when BMW joins Audi and Mercedes in offering a sedan with 8 (or more) cylinders and AWD – 2WD will, shortly thereafter, become the "sold" or "special" order LPS car and ultimately AWD will be the je ne sais quoi for inclusion in, first, the Premium Class, followed shortly by the near-Premium Class and so on downstream.

Moreover, these remarks should not be perceived as being limited to German cars only. Indeed, the constant Asian incrementalism we have seen since that first Lexus came to US shores will continue unabated, and then some – it would seem to me – meaning the Japanese (and ultimately Korean and perhaps even Chinese) LPS manufacturers will simply accelerate their adoption of AWD until it becomes virtually ubiquitous.

Despite my enthusiasm and certainty with regard to AWD’s future in the LPS class – going so far as to perhaps ultimately help define the Premium Class, I do not actually predict the literal demise of FWD and RWD as drive trains, simply their relegation to special applications, making a contribution to low cost production vehicles and perhaps even an association with nostalgia for “a certain era.”

Now to those of you who do delight (as do I) in these yin and yang discussions and who will counter with “2WD (usually RWD) is superior for performance and fun,” I do understand and partially agree with the sentiment. But most of that agreement would be past tense, i.e., historical agreement rather than as a current (and apparently future) event.

Yet, I will concede there have been and probably always will be exceptions to rules or absolutes pertaining to just about everything. I so stipulate I am not suggesting there is no wiggle room; nor, am I suggesting these exceptions are or will be anomalies, folk lore and/or the improbable (Pope Joan, the only woman Pope in history, is not how I would classify the examples that will doubtless be introduced to weaken my argument.) In fact, I assume the arguments will be cogent and thoughtful.

Earlier I suggested there are, “in the public domain,” arguments supporting the notion that AWD isn’t a second class citizen even when it is employed on the track or other controlled access circumstances, including races. Indeed, despite BMW’s reputation it has on many occasions seen the posteriors of its AWD competitors.

Subaru, not always a name that leaps to the top of the list when one discusses racing, too, has found itself often leading its 2WD rivals “eating its rubber,” as it “burned some dust,” with thanks to Chevy Chase.

Time after time, when companies are not prevented from entering AWD vehicles or not required to hobble their cars in any way, the AWD vehicles dominate. In the not too distant past, 95% of touring car titles were won by AWD vehicles. Often the top two spots were Audi and BMW.

Considering Audi’s cars could be heavier due to their AWD drive trains; and, despite Audis – almost from the beginning of time – nose heaviness, it is a tribute to the primacy of AWD that they won season after season, sometimes as often as 19 of 20 events.

Pointing to the win, show and place records of AWD vehicles over the past 10+ years (and even further back and of course getting in the way back machine and going to Pike’s Peak) will, I can almost be certain, proselytize few if any “non-believers.” Yet, the erosion of RWD both in racing and retail continues. Meanwhile AWD, I would argue, quietly is becoming the de facto attribute to be seriously considered a player in the Luxury, Premium, Performance and "Practical" class cars.

“Porsche uses AWD on some Carrera models to enhance performance and traction. And, Subaru has won several world rally championships with all wheel drive.”

- part two, with feeling, follows :shades:
    Trickle Down?

If Ford Motor Company wants to rapidly reverse its fortunes, it could do much worse than offer AWD as an option across its entire line. It should not interpret the post-Katrina slow down of SUV sales wrongly – as it appears to be doing somewhat. The attribute that made SUV’s attractive was only minimally their off-road capabilities. Instead, as the LPS manufacturers have learned, the customer wants AWD first for its “go anytime” (with respect to the weather) ccapabilities but then for the performance, safety and fun factors – perhaps you will agree (perhaps not) AWD is becoming the price of entry into the LPS segment.

It’s about damn time!

:shades:
    "Considering Audi’s cars could be heavier due to their AWD drive trains; and, despite Audis – almost from the beginning of time – nose heaviness, it is a tribute to the primacy of AWD that they won season after season, sometimes as often as 19 of 20 events."

If Audi wants to elimate that problem once and for all, they simply have to stop making FWD cars. As long as they continue to adapt FWD architecture for Quattro, the cars will be nose heavy. Not as bad as cars like the 61\39 Acura TL, but not great. They need to design their new platforms for AWD from the ground up, and then they can achieve the ideal weight balance.
    Yet when a majority (of one -- me) questioned why, they went ahead and spent money, resources, engineering prowess, "co-oping", whatever to bring a 40/60 biased TorSen system to market. Probably NOT a total waste but again a majority (of one) wonders why RWD biasing of the quattro system would be nearly as relevant as improving the F/R weight balance.

The fact that they (Audi quattros) were kicking butt and taking names, often BMW's names, with the engine ahead of the front axle, simply makes me wonder how far along they would be if they had worked years ago on balance.

But then I read yet another "best ever year" article about Audi's 2005 (IN GERMANY no less), and I must conclude they are making huge strides, great progress as this best ever is the 10th in a row.

Possibly the "desirability" of balance resides in OUR little group here on edmund's.

When you're able to outdo your own best again and again and get lots of positive press -- some at the expense of your German rivals, well perhaps you feel you must be doing something right.

Imagine what a 49 51 or 51 49 Audi quattro would do, performance wise. It, on the surface anyway, would appear to be able to crush the competition (from a performance perspective, at least.)

My belief that AWD will soon be the price of entry, remains, regardless.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    the matter is that the way most vehicles are driven most of the time most of the year by most people, one-wheel drive would work. Pick the corner of your choice.

Some of us fit into the smaller percentages, which is why the market supports LPS (or wanna-be LPS) vehicles. Few are driven anywhere near their capabilities, ever, for which I suppose we should all be thankful.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I agree, I think that within maybe a decade, cars $30K and above will all be AWD, or at least have optional AWD. There really isnt a good reason for most luxury cars to be RWD, especially full-size, softly sprung cars like the LS and Q45.
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    And what good reason is there for any sedan to be AWD in a warm climate? There's no benefit apparent to me, with the disadvantage of extra weight and potential for repairs.
    Here is a new BMW 5 series feature that will be available this March:

BMW Night Vision Becomes Available in the U.S.

Munich. BMW Night Vision, the innovative driver assistance system, will be available from March 2006 in the 5 Series Sedan, 5 Series Sports Wagon as well as the 6 Series Coupe and Convertible.

Infra-red technology incorporating a thermal imaging camera for extra safety in the dark. Driver support and active partner protection in one.
    BMW Night Vision provides a new dimension of optical perception when driving at night. A thermal imaging camera detects human beings, animals and objects in front of the car before they become visible to the human eye in the headlights. The image generated by the system is transmitted to the central Control Display within the car presenting objects detected with increasing brightness as a function of the heat detected by the camera – and therefore making human beings and animals particularly conspicuous.

The thermal imaging camera covers a range of up to 300 meters or almost 1,000 feet ahead of the car. BMW Night Vision offers the customer particular benefits when driving over land, down narrow lanes, through gateways leading into courtyards, and into dark underground garages, significantly enhancing driving safety at night.

BMW opts for Far Infra-Red technology (FIR). Thermal imaging camera for enhanced detection of human beings and animals.
    Warm areas of the country still have rain, last time I checked. AWD has a huge advantage over RWD in any foul weather condition, not just snow.
    You raise a not unreasonable point/question.

And, not to simply answer a question with a question, I wonder out loud why there are so many 4WD/AWD vehicles sold in Dallas, Las Vegas, SoCal and apparently all over Atlanta and Miami and other areas as they say south of the Mason Dixon line?

Some of the most HUGE and most lavish Audi and Porsche dealerships are in Dallas and Miami and many of the Porsches on the showroom floor at any one time are AWD variants (and I am not just including Cayennes.)

Now, what I certainly lack are statistics that would suggest the number of Audis that are sold in these winterless zones and the number that are AWD (although this year all A6's were quattros and all S versions are quattros.)

All Acura RL's are AWD, as are all Volvo S60 type R's, and the number of cars that ONLY come as AWD (Subaru, e.g.) seems to be, if anything, on a tear.

What I can suggest is only personal, AWD, for me, is not of value first and foremost in/on rain, sleet, snow and ice covered highways -- although it IS very helpful under such circumstances. I believe evidence abounds that AWD is at least a significant minority "performance" attribute not just a traction on slick surfaces attribute any more.

I have never had an issue relating to repairs that was AWD related -- and this after a couple dozen such cars.

One of the folks I work with has an Olds Bravada as his beater -- it too has AWD and has never had any drive train issues.

The danger for all of us is to project our personal experiences to the broader population of owners -- we may be representative or not of the larger population, that is.

When I stated my BMW dealer -- who claims to sell the most in the state of Ohio (a letter from BMW says so!) therefore is the largest BMW dealer in the state -- is currently selling 40% of the 5 series cars he sell as AWD and that this is inventory constrained, well, it is better than "just my circle of friends, etc." but it still may not be an accurate reflection of BMW of America's experiences.

With no desire to be argumentative, impolite or impudent, I would suggest that there may be a benefit to you if you had an AWD car -- and that it is simply a matter of experience with AWD LPS cars (for instance.)

You well may remain unconvinced that "AWD isn't just for cold climates," and that would be fine with me.

You may find your opinion is not immutable, on the other hand.

I am happy to mount an effort to change your opinion, but don't want to start an argument.

I am a true believer ("do ya think?") that AWD is the best for performance, safety and fun -- and I have recently found updated information about the minimal impact of AWD systems on economy in combined driving cycles and the advantage of AWD in a highway economy cycle (that is, where average speeds remain above 40mph, due to the reduction of the drag caused by unpowered wheels.)

My belief that 2WD will be the "economy" choice within this or the next decade also is steadfast (as described in "The Price of Entry".)

Signing off believing AWD will help define what is considered an LP car, sooner rather than later.

• moxiemoxie Member Posts: 33
    I'm afraid Bond wouldn't be seen dead :sick: in any of the sedans discussed on this particular board ! They're simply not his style or exotic enough for his taste! :)
    In the Living Daylights, Bond's "getaway" car during the bit where he smuggles a presumed defecting spy from "Russia" to the west, is an Audi 200 quattro (this was, in 1987 when the movie was fresh, as I recall, the top of the Audi line, the forefather of the S6.)

Later when Bond is "under cover" his car is an Audi Avant quattro.

Of course one of the most memorable Bond machines ever was a BMW 750 (Tomorrow Never Dies?) that talked to Bond as he drove the car, sometimes crouched down in the back seat controlling the car with his improbable phone.

In Golden Eye Bond drove what was, at the time, a pretty wimpy BMW Z4 (borrowed from his CIA buddy, correct?)

Get in the Wayback Machine and recall when American Motors cars were featured and a particularly cool jump and twirl off of a bridge were featured -- I think that one was The Man with the Golden Gun.

Bond drove a Z8, too, one that was buzz sawed in half lengthwise -- can't remember that movies title.

So, yes he does not typically drive our LPS cars, but in at least a couple of instances he has driven their grandparents.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    Isn't that a Z3 in Goldeneye?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Picky picky picky -- I think you are correct, thanks!

What is the movie's name with the AMC cars in it?

I may have to google this if someone doesn't tell me.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    Dag!!.. Yeah.. they have Matadors... shoot.. can't remember.. Roger Moore, though, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Roger that!
    In the Ian Fleming books, James drove a 1933 Bentley Mark IV convertible.

As for the movies, without a doubt, no car is more memorable than the legendary Aston Martin DB5. Other notable Astons were some special racing editons such as the DB MKIII, and DBS. More recently there was a V8 Vantage Volante in The Living Daylights, and of course the V12 Vanquish in the most recent film.

Bond movies also featured a few classic Mustangs, Lotus Espirt Turbos, plenty of Rolls Royces, a Citroën 2CV, the Audi 200 Quatrro and 100 Avant you mentioned, a Mercedes 250SE, and the only Toyota 2000GT convertible ever built.

The AMC Hornet and Matador were both in The Man With the Golden Gun.

In the John Gardner Bond novels, he drives rather pedestrian Saab 900 and 9000CD Turbos.
  • s54s54 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone had any experience dealing with Infiniti Corporate or Consumer Affairs? If so, I would appreciate any comments on the following:

Since purchasing my car in July I have had it in to the dealer seven times to fix things such as two broken seat belt adjusters, door panel replacement and DVD/Moonroof/back seat/dashboard rattles. Except for the dashboard, they have not fixed the other rattles in four tries.

Perhaps I should have contacted Consumer Affairs sooner, but they are now involved and want to have a "technician" come and look at it.

This is my fourth Infiniti, dating back to 1993, and we have had no issues so I am at a loss as to what to do. I have had the car into the shop for a total of 14 days and I just want out.

Thanks in advance. If anyone has direct contact info for Infiniti execs pls advise, as they may want to hear about a soon-to-be-former loyal customer having to take a car in eight times for repair.

Jim
  • himikohimiko Member Posts: 1
    The idle on my 1988 260 E Mercedes Benz bounces up and down (between 650 and 1500) for no apparent reason. My mechanic has been looking at the problem for 2 weeks and can't solve it. He has replaced an air flow valve and the main computer, but to no avail. Anyone familiar with this problem please help.
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Mark: Thanks for the response. However, I still don't understand how AWD is helpful other than in slick conditions (and that would NOT include mere rain, as wet acceleration traction is rarely an issue--the problem is braking and we all have all wheel braking). If AWD truly improves performance in general, why do FI/Indy/Nascar/etc. cars not have it?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Bond drove a BMW Z8 in The World is Not Enough as he drove through the oil fields and as he visited his Russian 'friend' at the caviar plant.

:)

-Paul
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I have the opportunity to get an '04 E500 "demo" car. It has over 8K miles on it. Sticker is $60,925. Only options I see are sunroof and sound system. The car has never been titled (still has the MSRP sticker on the window). The FULL warranty will kick in once purchased. Being that it's an '04, the free maintenance will come with it. Navigation and satellite radio are mandatory for me and this car doesn't have either one. The dealer says they can add both.

The salesman claims I can get it for probably the upper $40K range. I told them to be prepared to "throw in" the nav and satellite radio (meaning for free) if they really want me to buy it.

What would LPS buyers do? WWLPSBD! :P
    We may have pushed this topic as it relates to LPS cars about to its limits, here.

I think I can address one broad and one more narrow reason for the racing car questions.

Broadly (and this is an assumption, I have not vetted it by digging into information that details all of the particulars), the cars you wondered about (in a racing situation) are constrained by the "rules of the game."

In the more specific case of Nascar, I would assume (assume, not fact checked) that if there are no rules prohibiting the number of driven wheels, that there are rules stating the car at least has to be a derivative of a car that someone could actually buy. Indeed, it is my understanding that despite tons of decals, wild paint, etc, that Ford's try to be recognized as Ford's and Chevrolet's ditto -- the cars that are "raced" (and they win) on Sunday can be sold on Monday, i.e.

Let's assume that there are no regulation prohibiting number of driven wheels -- it would seem to me that there may be rules/regs that the base street car has at least some resemblence (both in look and some DNA in what is unseen, that is) between what is on the track and street; and, if the Dodge or Ford or Chevy, etc are not AWD street cars they are not likely to be raced with AWD (again even if NASCAR permitted this.)

The "winning ways" of AWD where there were no rules against it, then there were rules, then the rules were relaxed (rinse lather repeat) present a telling story.

In other racing, however, AWD has proven to be so compelling that companies cried foul and labled AWD (quattro initially) as "The Unfair Advantage":

In an effort to allow AWD but simultaneously in an attempt to make it NOT the so-called "unfair advantage" rules were changed that required the AWD car's to add what was essentially ballast (extra weight for the sake of extra weight.)

In some instances, virtually NO MATTER WHAT was done in this regard, AWD remained in the win, show, place category, more often than not "win."

The reasons for this are almost (read the word "not quite") like the argument for AWB (all-wheel-brakes) and fully independant suspensions and so on.

Unconstrained by drive train "rules" pertaining to the number of driven wheels, there is about 25 years worth of "racing news" you can "google" or "dogpile" that demonstrates AWD vehicles almost total dominance.

Pike's Peak, too, is another area where AWD proved its point. Subaru can be also pointed to as another success story for AWD's prowess on the road and track.

In an effort, an on going effort, to determine at least some data points, I have asked our local Infiniti dealer to quantify the M's sales. I don't know if he didn't want to share any numbers or percentages with me, but yesterday (approaching year two of the new M's) the dealer told me that the "majority" of M's sold are M35X's and that the "X" model remains his highest inventoried version.

Unlike the BMW dealer who actually said "40%" of the 5's since July '05 are AWD, I have no other numbers.

It would be a bit of a fib to also add that 100% of the Acura RL's and Audi A6's were sold w/AWD since they ONLY are offered w/AWD(or were in 2005 and in Audi's case remain the de facto standard in 2006 despite the Front Track A6 coming to the US.)

Not that mfg's don't pull some boneheaded plays, but the observations, anecdotes and statistics do underscore if nothing else the popularity of AWD. The racing lore of the past decade or two only strengthens the performance case (which was almost unknown to some heretofore -- pre 2005 for instance.)

A fruit used to be thought of one way, then "It's not just for breakfast anymore" became the tag line -- now it it something like "AWD, it's not just for winter anymore."

BMW does a nice job of playing up the safety aspects of AWD and SH-AWD from Acura is being shown as a handling innovation not just a "get me over the river and through the woods" kind of technology.

I assume there are places this can be discussed at length and I know there are places where information abounds pertaining to the primacy of AWD for control, performance, safety and fun.

Hope this whets your appitite -- perhaps makes you curious and if the final outcome is your conversion (or not) that will be hunky dory too!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    interesting.

how many miles on this E500?

Certainly a sweet car.

Edmunds says a Certified Pre-owned with 20k miles should run you around $44k. But, trade-in is less than $37k. Since Edmunds is typically high, off the top of my head, I would guess this is a $39k car retail. You MAY prefer one that has not been titled, like you are looking at, but how much is that really worth? In my opinion, nothing. The next owner you try to sell it to won't care if you bought it pre-owned or demo, that's for sure, and it won't change the value of the car.

oh, and as far as adding Nav, I'd double-check that the salesman isn't blowing smoke. I have yet to hear of a vehicle where adding factory nav after the fact was a feasible option. Its just tied into too many systems. There may be exceptions out there, I don't know. Maybe all Benzes are prewired for the factory nav.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks, qbrozen. The car has a bit over 8K miles. The fact that it has never been titled is, sadly, of little consolation to me. It was a demo and has over 8K miles. That's still USED in my book. :cry: Plus it's about to be 3 model years old with a new model right around the corner.

I'm sure nav can be added. I added factory nav to my 300M Special. It was no big deal at all. It was a plug-n-play swap. Just needed to install the GPS antenna under a dash panel which, literally, was a snap. No tools required for that part. Actually the only tool required for the entire install was a Phillips head screwdriver. Now, when I added factory satellite radio, I had to drill a hole in my roof! Talk about nerve racking!

Anyway, it sounds like a good deal, but it's missing a lot of features that I would like to have, i.e. Keyless Go, ventilated seats, nav, satellite radio, HID headlights, etc. Now that I think about it, the only requirements that it meets is that it is V8 and RWD (and a luxury car). :( I'm just wondering if I'd be crazy to pass on the chance to have a "new" E500 for $40Ks. :confuse:

More opinions are certainly welcome, guys.
    he did say high-40s, right?
    So I'd say that's at least $5-$7k too high compared to a certified pre-owned.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Actually, he only said "the 40s." I'm assuming he meant the high 40s. And everybody knows what happens when you assume. ;)
    The relationship of the Ford Taurus (now Fusion) Nascar to the one in showrooms goes as far as the painted on headlights and grill, thats it. These are carbureted, V8 powered RWD race cars. The win on Sunday, sell on Monday thing really doesnt apply at all. It certainly isnt like the racing versions of Porsche 911s and BMW M3s, or the rally versions of Subies and Mitsus, where you really can buy something pretty close to the race car in the showroom. Does anyone even care at this point which manufacturer wins a Nascar race?

I really dont think that AWD would particularly benefit Nascar's brand of parking lot "racing". In any type of rally racing though, show up with AWD, or go home.

What would be very interesting to see, is Audi build a car like the Lotus Exige, but with Quattro in it, just to really show what their AWD system can do.
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    I hate to interupt the AWD/Bond discussions, but I have a question. I am looking at the M35 and RL. Anyone have a source or comment on the quality/reliability of Acura v. Infiniti? I'm not interested in a Euro sedan and I already have a Lexus.

Len
    ah, ok.
    well, let me know how you make out.

• rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Honestly, I would say that the "dealer demo" tag is probably a lie. Dealers always call used cars with very low miles on them dealer demos. I traded in a 330xi with 13K on it, and I'd be willing to bet they sold it as a dealer demo. Although, maybe the sticker on the window means it really is a demo car. Can you look up the car on carfax.com? For some reason they feel that this makes a used car less "used" sounding. Bottom line is, whether it was driven by an individual, several individuals on test drives or a salesman at the dealership for those 8K miles, it's still just used as you said. It is probably even worse if it's a dealer demo actually because if it belonged to an individual it would probably be more likely to be in better shape than a car that many people have driven. Anyway, still sounds like a good deal for a used car regardless of how they label it. The fact that the warranty still has all of it's original time on it is great. If they throw in SAT and NAV it would be really good.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I don't know anything about quality comparison between Acura and Infiniti. However, I sat in an M35 this week at the Washington Auto Show. I thought the positioning of all the controls, AC, etc., was the worst I'd ever seen in a car. They were up on the dash and almost horizontal. They were hard to see or read. Just my immediate reaction. I would have thought part of it might have been my RL bias, but a coworker was with me and he disliked it even more than I did.

Those of you who own M35s, do you get used to the positioning or is it actually as bad as it appeared to me?
    So far, the M35 has done much better than the RL in terms of IQ. The RL isnt bad, but the '05s have had electrical teething problems (and I've heard some scattered reports of more serious SH-AWD based mechanical issues).

In contrast, the M35 scores aces across the board. It has CR's highest rating for predicted reliability (RL scores just average in that area) and is their top overall rated luxury sedan. In terms of interior space and comfort, power, and handling, it trouces the RL. As for the controls on the dash, I'll leave that one up to you.
    Thanks for the info. I don't remember much about the layout of the dash on the M35. I just remember that I left with a feeling of too much orange. But, I only looked at the car on the floor because it started raining and neither the salesman nor I wanted to wander through the lot.

I do like the blue in the RL instruments better than the M's orange, but my first conern in initial and LT quality.

Len
    It would be nice if Infiniti offered adjustable gauge colors like the Mustang. Their use of orange is definitely not my favorite.
    I have been reading the M35 Owners/Problems forum. There are some irrate people over there! Given their problems, the RL problems, and the bad feelings toward MB and BMW, I'm at a loss which way to go.

I think I should be interviewing the service managers at the Infiniti and Acura dealers instead of the salesmen.
    "...and the bad feelings toward MB and BMW, I'm at a loss which way to go."

Whose bad feelings? Yours or somebody else's?

If nothing else, your local dealership (and the cars that they sell) should be evaluated in the very least.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "...and the bad feelings toward MB and BMW, I'm at a loss which way to go."

Bad feelings by ex-owners. I have never owned either. My Lexus is my first venture in the $30K+ land.

I wonder if there is a company (Acura or Infiniti) or independent site that rates dealerships and service departments.

I will definitely lease the next car. At least 36 months and I'm out. Or, I can buy if the car is OK.
    "Bad feelings by ex-owners."

Hmmm, I think that if you were to spend some time in the 5-Series and 3-Series discussions you'd hear a much different tune. I've had two different BMWs (a 328i and a 530i, picked up in Munich no less) and for both I had nothing but exemplary service from the three different dealerships that I worked with (two selling dealers as well as a new dealer after I moved to another state). In the seven years that I had the cars, I was only required to visit the dealership once beyond the normal scheduled maintenance, and that trip was for a software upgrade.

The sad truth of the matter is that many folks love to talk trash about German cars in general and BMWs in particular, however, the vast majority of the folks that I know and/or communicate with are very happy with their decision to drive a BMW.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • usmc0369usmc0369 Member Posts: 8
    Warthog. AWD would lose to much power in the racing styles you listed. Due to the fact HP ratings are lower at the rear wheels then at the crank shaft because you lose power to friction ect. With AWD you would lose more. But these styles are on perfect surfaces. Since most of us drive on all kinds of roads (I camp and go off road alot, why I bought an outback) AWD is better handling because you may lose traction on one corner or end of the vehicle and AWD will compensate. AWD has its place, depending where you drive. I really don't need in SoCal except a few times a year I go to the mountains.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I noticed all the irate postings by owners of the Infiniti M on their thread and said, 'what's up with that?' only to be shot down.

There was one poster right here who vented quite a bit about his M lemon.
    See post # 5946.

I wouldn't give too much credence to current CR reliability ratings of the M as they are always several years behind reality using their statisticaly flawed formula, and there could be possible overlap in their ratings.
    I wouldn't be surprised if future CR reliability ratings begin reflecting the negative anecdotal reports I have been reading concerning the M.

Personally I would stay away from the M even though it is a fun car to drive.

I found the Lexus GS300 satisfying to drive and reliability has been fine.

At last count, there have been 321 posters on the Infiniti M "Problems & Solutions" thread vs. only 69 for the Lexus GS "Problems & Solutions" thread.
    Speaks volumes.