Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Is there an official future replacement for the BMW 3.0 liter inline 6 cylinder engine? BMW has done miracles with their inlines, but is a V6 in the cards?"

I'm thinking that given that there is a brand spankin' new from the ground up redesigned I6 in the E90 and E60, the suggestion that BMW might move to an inherently unbalanced V6 anytime soon (if ever) is highly, highly unlikely. True V6s can be smoothed out with the application of high speed balance shafts (a misnomer if there ever was one as "balance shafts" are themselves highly unbalanced), but at their very best they'll never be as smooth as a completely unadorned I6. Why? Simple, because the I6 engine configuration holds all mechanical inertial forces in natural balance at all times (the H6 and V12 configurations do too). All a "balanced" V6 can do is approximate a balanced condition by spinning unbalanced stuff at high speeds to try and cancel out the natural imbalance of that engine configuration. The problem here is that the balancing devices employed are installed in such a way as to balance the average of the imbalanced forces, and as such, are typically only perfectly balanced at one specific RPM.

When engines are tested for mechanical "balance", there are four different measurements typically performed (I say typical because Radial back in the WWII era were measured and balanced to as far as the sixth order), and they are as follows:

- Free forces of the first order (i.e. once per rotation)
    - Free forces of the second order
    - Free movements of the first order (i.e. twice per rotation)
    - Free movements of the second order

Naturally balance I6, H6 and V12 engines score a perfect zero in all four of the above categories, however, an even firing V6 (natural firing V6s are even worse) suffers from significant Free movement forces of both the first and second order.

Hmmm, wordy enough; suffice to say, BMW has staked its place in the automotive world as the last manufacturer of I6 engines in the world. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I go away for a couple months...and return to...familiar names and cookies on the table. Makes a man feel comfortable. Hey... Did anyone attend the Chicago Auto show? What else is new?
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    You mean as in "Pluck your magic twanger Froggie!! BOING!!BOING!! Hi ya kids, hiya hiya!!
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    A couple of things, actually. It looks as if Acura is abandoning touch screens for center stacks in the same vein as the RL's. Here's what the inside of the RDX looks like.

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/auto-show-photos.asp?imageId=20582&galleryId=- - 35

Another interesting development, and one I would definitely like to hear Mark's thoughts on is that "Audi will terminate their free maintenance on all 2007 models.", according to Autospies anyway.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    The latest on the Audi is that indeed they may do away with the free maintenance for new vehicles, but will allow return buyers to extend their free maintenance as a type of loyalty payback...
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The BMW 545 rocks with its superb 4.4 liter 325-hp 32-valve V-8 engine.
    However, after also driving the inline 6 for 12 years, I have to say when the power factor is taken out, I do prefer the inline 6- a little smoother, believe it or not.

On another note, while you were watching the AD show with its hand-puppet, Froggie,
    I was tuned into Jon Nagy's Learn To Draw show.
    "I have to say when the power factor is taken out, I do prefer the inline 6- a little smoother, believe it or not."

I believe it! Dude, you must have one seriously sensitive Butt Dyno because according to the "Internal-combustion engines" chapter of my handy-dandy Automotive Handbook, V8 engines suffer from a very small Free Movement of the First Order. I'm impressed. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Thank you. :)
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I could not have said it better myself!

The BMW i6 is a World Wonder in the automotive industry.
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    I agree about the BMW i6. You would think some of the other companies would catch on.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Premature abandonment, is the way I would characterize this.

Actually, the maintenance can be purchased as an option for $550 (so are the early reports.) Big deal? Maybe yes, maybe no -- in terms of the cost. Bigger deal is the loss of the Audi Advantage as a marketing angle. And, guess which German TLA brand (hint: begins with B and ends with W) will, temporarily at least, make marketing hay out of this?

My 2005 Audi has been to the dealer for the 5K and 15K services. I stopped in for a "free set" of wiper blades ONCE and a free car wash ONCE. I was offered and accepted a free loaner car for my two oil changes.

I had a free bottled water whilst I waited for the wiper blades and a free coffee and danish were mine during the car wash while I schmoozed and cruzed with the sales reps that I have known since the late 1970's at the Audi dealer.

This car, by Lexus standards, for all I know, may not be considered reliable. Thus far it has been a rock.

My nits with the car still have nothing to do with the Audi Advantage or the Warranty. They are issues that I can imagine I would have with any one of these $50+K cars.

Fighting for the honor of Last Place every month here as the report card for the previous month's sales are displayed for all to see, puts Audi NOT in the position to take away a "perceived" safety net or sales objection.

Especially one that they think they can sell for a list price of $550. Ummm, gee, would I change my mind if this cost were buried into the MSRP a la Audi (pre 2007) and BMW at least for a year or two beyond Audi? Nope. Would I otherwise NOT get an Audi that made service/maintenance intervals a paid for option. Probably not.

I am not the guy they need to be concerned about -- obviously. The name of the game is new customers and simultaneously keeping current and attracting back former customers. Audi has been on a tear -- in the US, however, it still lags BMW by 2/3.

Too soon is my main theme.

LPS cars other than Audi and BMW do not have this "feature" -- Audi needs to keep it at least through the C6 A6 refresh and maybe even the first year of a C7.

At least two more years in any case, however, would seem to be prudent just to demonstrate that the new Audi's reliability rumors have some staying power.

Audi is too new to the Legitimate LPS inner-circle to do this now.

But, typically, they didn't ask me.

BMW's 530xi 6speed manual if competitively priced with the A6 AND if BMW gets its head out of its nose and offers a REAL sport package (MLine?) would be on my short list of three TODAY: Audi, BMW, Infiniti -- the 6speed manual and a NOT "are you kidding" price might just push me over to the dark side (just kidding, my wife thinks BMW is "the Force".)

2007 MY 2008 could be an exciting time to be back in der market. :shades:

P.S., Hopefully, Audi will rethink its AA offering or at least offer it as a "bridge" to us long time customers -- but, in all fairness, my current Audi has, thus far, got to be the most reliable EVER.

~ 20+ months to go for me.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well others caught on years ago, but they felt that the I6 had reached the end of its development life so they all switched. Volvo is coming out with a new I6, but its turned the wrong way. Mercedes stood by the I6 since the beginning of time, but dropped in 1998. Lexus used one briefly as did Jaguar.

M
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    are wonderfully smooth engines and belong in LPS vehicles. However, note what is going in the M car's (M3, M5, M6) - a V configuration (V8 for M3 and V10 for M5/M6).

The V8 does have an intoxicating exhaust note though. :)

The Audi's 3.2 V6 is pretty nice, as is the BMW's inline. Choosing between the two, the BMW seems happy at all different RPM's. Audi's feels a bit different - not bad - just different.

-Paul
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I have a convertible with AWD- an Audi of course. The S4, as I've stated many times.

I believe that it doesn't diminish the performance in the least. The car handles perfectly on dry pavement, and I've dusted many an M3. ;)

Furthermore, the sedan is only 0.6 seconds quicker to 0-60. If the Cabriolet didn't have quattro and the sedan did, I don't think it would make it quicker than the sedan anyway, because it's a heavier structure.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Well, it's been a long time since I took my vibrations classes in my ME course, so I'm quite willing to take your analysis at face value.

However, I've heard that a 60-degree V6 was properly balanced, as opposed to a 90-degree V6, which most assuredly is not. The earliest V6's were chopped V8's & shook (GM in particular). To this day, Mercedes offers a 90-deg V6, but it does have balance shafts. What say you concerning the comparison of 60 & 90 degree V6's vs. the I6?

I put most of a quarter of a million miles on a '73 240Z, so am certainly a fan of the I6. The top of my current list is a BMW 3, and the straight 6 is a factor.

That it has a manual is a more significant one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    This is not directly related to your post, but I just had to say it.

I saw my 3rd M5 today in silver- looked to be just washed. Best-looking 5 Series I've ever seen (not the M5 in general, just the one I saw today).

Also, the deep yet electric blue of the M6 at the auto show was gorgeous. The 6 Series is the best looking BMW in my eyes.

Completely off the topic, I also saw my 3rd S550 today. It looks good in black, which was both at the auto show and the one I saw today was black, but its overall design is unimpressive. Doesn't have as much presence as the old one, and not nearly as much as the CLS- but it looks good in black.

;)
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Merc...I assume you made it to the Chicago show...anything turn your head?
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I've noticed that recently, more than ever, I seem to need to take a look at the model badge on the back of the Bimmers, just to make sure which model I'm looking at.

What's going on? Well, I think it adds up to all the recent changes and a WHOPPING 22 different sedans and coupes . . . 23 when the M6 counts.

Maybe I've mis-counted, but excluding SUV's (SAV's), and wagons, and the roadster, I think that leaves 22 (+1)variations . . . 8 3-series, 5 5-series, 2 6-series, 4 7-series, 3 M-models (+ 1 M6).

I'm not counting MINI.

No wonder I've got to check the badges. That is a lot of sedans and coupes from one manufacturer for the U.S. market.

I haven't checked Toyota/Lexus. Is there a Lexican volunteer?

With so many models to choose from, there's a BMW for everyone.

TagMan
    There are still relatively few Lexus vehicles when compared to the Germans.. well BMW and Mercedes anyway. Audi currently doesnt have a big lineup, but they've got a huge product assault on the horizon.

For 2007, there will be 3 variants of the LS, 4 GS, 1 ES, 4 IS, 1 SC, 1 LX and GX, and 4 RX, making 19 models. By the end of the decade, there will be a hybrid ES, an IS convertible, and a new SUV to slot below the RX350, based on the HPX concept. The SC will also be replaced, and probably offer at least two engine choices, so Lexus will have at least 22 versions of its cars and trucks as well, but that does include their SUVs.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    good work, lexusguy.

The Mercedes variations are quite numerous. If you count the wagons, roadsters, SUV's, as well as the sedans and coupes, it gets large. Add the 4matic AWD and I believe the number would get into the 30's. I'll have to look closer when I get the chance.
    "However, I've heard that a 60-degree V6 was properly balanced, as opposed to a 90-degree V6, which most assuredly is not. The earliest V6's were chopped V8's & shook (GM in particular). To this day, Mercedes offers a 90-deg V6, but it does have balance shafts. What say you concerning the comparison of 60 & 90 degree V6's vs. the I6?"

Referring to the Internal-combustion engines chapter in my Bosch Automotive Handbook I see references to the following three different V6 configurations:

1) 90 degree V6 with a 0 degree offset 3 throw crank yielding a repetitive 150/90/150/90 degree firing interval
    2) 90 degree V6 with a 30 degree offset 3 throw crank yielding an even 120 degree firing interval
    3) 60 degree V6 with an even firing 6 throw crank

Below is the best representation I can create given the limitations of the TownHall posting medium of the First and Second Order Free Movement formulas for the above three engine types (Note: a = the distance between common bank side bore centers):

1) 90 Degree V6 - Uneven firing:
    - - First Order Free Movement (F1): 3^0.5 * F1 * a^2
    - - Second Order Free Movement (F2): 6^0.5 * F2 * a

2) 90 Degree V6 - Even firing:
    - - First Order Free Movement (F1): 0.4438 * F1 * a
    - - Second Order Free Movement (F2): (0.966+-0.256) * 3^0.5 * F2 * a

3) 60 Degree V6 - Even firing:
    - - First Order Free Movement (F1): 3 * F1 * a/2
    - - Second Order Free Movement (F2): 3 * F2 * a/2

Relative to the I6 (which scores a perfect zero in all catagories), all of those engines (in their unbalanced state) are "Shaky Jakes".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    BMW Unveils New Biturbo Petrol Straight Six Engine.

-The hugely-powerful all-aluminum 3.0-litre six has the
    efficiency and flexibility of acclaimed BMW VALVETRONIC and double-VANOS technology, the new engine is able to produce an immense 225 kW of power and 400 Nm of torque. It is armed with a Table Mountain-like torque profile that defies the term curve. Peak torque of 400 Nm is delivered between 1,500 rpm and 5,800 rpm and the engine boasts a 7,000 rpm red line.

-High-precision direct petrol injection cuts fuel use by 10 percent

-Turbo lag banished by intelligent biturbo technology

link title
    I read the entire article and although I do KNOW what cars the 3.0 will fit in, there actually was no mention of which car will enjoy this engine?

Being a long-time fan of Audi's turbos, especially my 1995 S6 I5 20V and my 2003 V6 30V bi-turbo, I have long wondered why all the goodness of the I6 Bimmer engines have thus far gone sans turbo.

My goodness, in terms of actual cost for BMW, the gross profit of a 530xi with this turbo 3.0 I6 would have to shoot up.

Why bother with the no replacement for displacement axiom when you can live with the "except for volumetric efficiency" that a modern zero-lag bi-turbo can offer.

The 5 series would be, hmmm, "unbeatable" especially for moi if they kept the 6speed manual and allowed you to order this engine in an otherwise pedestrian 530txi, yea "txi" kinda has a nice ring to it, eh?

Kinda like to bounce this TLA off my wife, uhhhh, Morgan Fairchild, yea, that's it, that's the ticket.

Now let's see Audi bi-turbo their already fine 3.2V6 FSI and go from fuel straight injection to full "fuel stratified injection" which is where they wanted to be in the US all along.

Woo Woo.

When, when? With respect to the new BMW I6 bi-turbo in a 5 series, anyone? Anyone at all? Beuhler?

:shades:
    It appears the Japanese love their MBs, Audis and BMWs more than the Japanese version of luxury in the guise of a Lexus.

Toyota is disappointed with the cool reception Lexus is receiving in the Japanese market. In fact the biggest benefactor to the introduction of Lexuses is BMW:

But with a little help from Lexus, attitudes are changing. BMW estimates that the number of visitors to its showrooms is up 20% since the rival's launch, and as many Japanese consider foreign brands for the first time. Customers realize that if you spend $45,000 or more, "you can afford an imported car," Suzuki says

link title
    All-Aluminum???

Errr, wait a minute, I thought the new I6 engines in the E60 and E90 cars was a magnesium bore arrangement with a shrink fit aluminum outer block surrounding it. Did BMW revert to the older all aluminum (with steel bore sleeves) for the Bi-Turbo?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The 5 series would be, hmmm, "unbeatable" especially for moi if they kept the 6speed manual and allowed you to order this engine in an otherwise pedestrian 530txi, yea "txi" kinda has a nice ring to it, eh?

My definition of happiness:
    A 330ti /530ti in Touring form in alpine white and please hold the SMG/Automatic tranny(just serve it with a a stick)
    Good question. I dont know the answer? Would there be issues with using a Bitburbo version of a magensium-aluminum engine?
    Merc...I assume you made it to the Chicago show...anything turn your head?

Why yes of course. Well after Detroit I usually just go to Chicago just to see the new debuts. A lot of people were naturally gawking at the Camaro, Imperial, etc, but me been there done that...lol.

As far as luxury cars, hmmm.... One thing I remember how truly unnatractive this new ES350 is. It continues to get worse looking with each re-design. I finally got to sit in the new S-Class. Totally outdoes the outgoing model in build/material quality. Look for this new S to be a big hit, IME. In looking at the full lines from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, Acura, Cadillac and Infiniti I came to the conclusion that Audi has the most stylish group of cars under one brand. Not a questionable looking vehicle in the bunch to me. All I can remember at the moment, will most more thoughts in HELM thread and pics in the News and View thread about autoshow pics.

M
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    In post #6304, merc1 mentioned "One thing I remember how truly unnatractive this new ES350 is. It continues to get worse looking with each re-design."

I haven't seen the ES350 in person myself, but whether or not anyone likes its looks, I have always been confused and disappointed with the middle of the Lexus sedan line. Why do you have a GS300 in the same showroom as an ES330 (soon to be ES350)? And the new ES350 is actually said to do 0-60 in the same 6.8 seconds as the GS300. Spacewise, to call the GS a 5-seater is subjecting Lexus to a claim of false advertising.

Given the success of the LS, why not scrap the ES and GS and come up with a "baby" LS, standard V6, RWD with an AWD option. Compete with the MB E, the BMW 5, and the Audi A6, and get out of the "gussied up Camry" and the "sports sedan" that is neither sporty nor a practical sedan.

The Infiniti M series shows the way, although it did so well with the rear seat room that it seems to have left little "shelf space" for a new Q to fill.

I want a mid-sized sedan for my wife that is neither performance-oriented nor a poor-handling FWD. With all the cars in its showroom, Lexus doesn't really offer anything.

I know I am limiting the importance of the "P" in "LPS", which may be unpopular in this group, but anyone care to share their thoughts on this?
    OK the ES is not an LPS contender (and NOT because of the number of cars under the edmunds LPS banner, I would presume.)

The ES, though, may be a big seller because it carries the Lexus name (which does belong on an LPS discussion forum of some kind.)

The fact that some (many?) may think of it as a "tarted up" Camry may not be a widespread perception.

Further if it is a big seller -- for whatever reason -- why cut it? I, personally, do not think the ES and GS would appeal to the same prospective customer. Besides, who cares, if "I" go into the Lexus dealer thinking GS and determine it is too pricey? I still have a "Lexus" that I can afford that is, no matter its more humble underwear, wearing a very nice suite of clothes indeed.

Win for Lexus, methinks.

Based on what y'all are telling me, you wouldn't dream of an FWD premium or near premium car even -- but, for those that don't mind, the ES300 or 350 or whatever it morphs into over time is another way to NOT lose a customer.

For the record, I used to feel the same way about the Passat (née Quantum) vs the Audi A4 (née 4000.)

I did buy a Quantum once operating under the delusion that it was "identical to an Audi for a lot less money."

I was wrong. :surprise:
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    I would love to have the car you described. I don't really want a "sport" car. I spent 17 years in a '65 Vette, 4-speed, 350 hp. I could run over a dime and tell you heads or tails.

I drove a 2004 ES until January when I traded it for an RX for my wife. Now I have her car ('99 Aurora) and am looking for my car. I drove the GS and it was too small. I had a crowded feeling. I like the M35 and RL. I am more interested in the L of LPS. I want all the toys (voice recognition, intelligent cruise control, push button start, backup camera, etc.) I would love a baby LS because I don't really want to spend $60-$70 on a car. I was hoping to love the new ES, even if 0-60 was 7.5 sec. My '04 was smooth and quiet, it just didn't have enough toys.

Len
    An Infiniti M may be just the ticket!
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    "why not scrap the ES and GS and come up with a "baby" LS"

I think that's what the ES350 was meant to be. A baby LS. The GS is for people who want something sportier both in ride and looks.

I saw the ES350 and the new LS460 at the chicago auto show. I think Lexus failed in their endeavor. It does has a lot of worthy technology, but IMO, Lexus failed to make it feel like a smaller LS. The inside didn't look as plush and the styling was too bold. Presenting it in a hot red color sure didn't help either.

Although I wouldn't buy it, I suspect Lexus will sell a lot of them. It has a lot to offer for the money.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    In this week's "Automotive News," Acura pretty much admitted that the RL is way overstuffed and overpriced which has led to its poor sales. They intend to bring out a less loaded, de-contented version of the RL in the fall that may list for $7,000-$10,000 less. Not a moment too soon. Or, alternatively, they could just drop the sticker price of the current model by that amount, and it might be competitive at that price point.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Lexusguy: how do you figure 4 GS's in the fall? The hybrid is added, but don't you think they will drop the 300 when they introduce the 350? And they will drop the 430 when they bring out the 460, no? Or something.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I drove today what seemed to be an idea for your next car [me to for that matter} A 2003 cpo'd M5. 34,000 miles, loaded with nav, and a REAL manual. All for a low low price of $49,500. {negotiable I'm sure} Boy was this car a blast....Dan
    I jus'won't do it w/o AWD.

But I am confident it was a blast.

Perhaps the B8 S4 will be ummmmm, "adequate."
    . . .washed today. I sure hope car colors are within the purview of this erudite forum. . . So here goes:

Just wondering what the standard, normal, most frequent (three?) colors we LPS types select might be?

Apparently BMW's only come in two colors, Black and Silver . . . not that there is anything wrong with these colors, but here in River City if you had a black BMW you could lose it at a Reds or Bengals home game -- uh, say when Pittsburgh (baseball or football team) was in town for the weekend. My wife, fond as she is of Black cars has decided, for whatever reason that her next BMW -- and she swears it will be a Bimmer -- will be dark green metallic du jour.

Even the Infinitis all seem to be silver. Only the Mercedes seem to come in other colors -- although I have seen a couple other NON black or silver A6's, but -- not many of this model either.

Is this a lemming like behavior or is it simply "the current style?"

Anywho -- anyone NOT have black or a silver derivative and willing to admit it? I must've been nutz to get green, heck Infiniti doesn't even offer it.

Thank god I'm leasing, the resale must be really poor.

:confuse:
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Down here in the sunny south, black is non-starter for me. At 5:00 on a July afternoon, getting into a black car is a WW2 Japanese prisoner experience. Metallic silver, on the other hand, does a great job of reflecting the heat and, as a bonus, hides dirt marvelously.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Around these parts you can get a Mercedes in any color as long as it's silver.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    That's what I want, a money green colored car. None of those silver coin colored cars.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    on BMW's.

We have the Oxford Green with natural brown leather on our 325xi.

-Paul
    In my opinion, the GS's failures are entirely the fault of the GS. The fact that it ultimately failed in its mission to be a serious BMW 5 fighter is not the fault of the ES.

Here's the problem with the RWD\AWD, V6 powered "baby LS" you are proposing - no Toyotas are built that way. Without a Toyota platform to utilize, you can factor in a $10K price increase, in otherwords, GS300 money. The ES isnt supposed to compete with the A6, E, and 5. Its supposed to come in around $35K, and dominate its competition, cars like the Lucerne, and Lincoln "MKZ". You'll notice that Acura shied away from trying to compete directly with ES, and Infiniti gave up entirely. There's no reason to mess with a product that works. What needs work, are the GS300 and 430.
    Simple. GS300, GS300 AWD, GS430, GS450h. The bigger engines shouldnt change the number of models.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Here's the problem with the RWD\AWD, V6 powered "baby LS" you are proposing - no Toyotas are built that way.

Now it's coming back to me. This came up about a month ago in the HELM forum, and you were the one who mentioned the Japanese Toyota called the Crown Majesta and posted some interesting pics of it. You even said it came in 6 and 8 cyl models, and at least the 8 had AWD. For those LPSers who are interested in that car, start here and read through the next 8 messages.

Crown Majesta discussion

Anyway, I agree with you that the GS needs work.
    I just don't think the typical Lexus buyer is looking for sport when shopping for a car, especially one the size of the GS, mid-size. A loaded GS430 has always been to close to a base LS430 imo. When a buyer walks in a sees the tight/cramped GS and then drives it finds that it really isn't that sporty like say a M45 or 550i, I can see them saying "may as well get the LS430". Now this may change once the LS460 goes on sale especially if the move the base price over 60K. This is why I think the GS300 has always outsold the GS430 by like 2 or 3 to one over the years. I think if they price the LS460 where a flagship should be priced (over 60K) the GS and particularly the upcoming GS460 will have some breathing room. Then they need to make it sportier for buyers to deal with the cramped demisions and smallish trunk. IMO.

The middle level segment already has a luxury leader in the E-Class and a sporty leader in the form of the 5-Series with the A6 and M chasing them respectively. The RL,GS and S-Type are the odd ones out to me.

M
    . . .perhaps if one is seeking a bit more sport, a price that while hardly low probably represents "bang for the buck," and, like an increasing number of folks, one wants the added performance and confidence of AWD, dare I suggest a nice long test drive of an A6 4.2 V8 S-Line?

In S-Line clad, at least at one of our two Audi franchises here in River City, it is pretty easy to locate this car with the 3.2 FSI V6, a bit more rare -- but not impossible -- to find with the throaty (at full cry) 4.2 V8.

Moreover, if you are, indeed, looking for a bit larger car (larger than the GS, i.e.) the A6 has both a real back seat and a real trunk.

I test drove the A6 4.2 with sport package (it was a 2005, pre S-Line i.e.) and, I assume, the suspension and the sportiness. of the S-Line are probably for all intents and purposes identical. Hard to imagine a car this big being "nimble," but it was.

Even if you just can't see yourself in a German car, let alone an Audi, I can promise you that a test drive of a 2006 A6 4.2 S-Line will be very entertaining and fun.

Just a thought. :shades:
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... They intend to bring out a less loaded, de-contented version of the RL in the fall that may list for $7,000-$10,000 less. ...

I think they should keep the current standard equipment list and just drop the price to just a few grand ($3K - $5K?) more than a maxed-out TL.
    I like the Cambridge Green. However, there are no Audi dealers within 200 miles. I wish the RL or M had that choice. I also like the Carbon Grey Pearl that Acura offers on the RL.

Len
    I think they should keep the current standard equipment list and just drop the price to just a few grand ($3K - $5K?) more than a maxed-out TL.

I agree. The RL with the Tech package starts at $53K while an M with Journey and Tech is only $49K.

However, for my zip Edmunds shows TMV of $47K so people around me are buying them. Last weekend my closest Acura dealer only had two on the lot. The salesman said they are moving quickly.

Len