Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Most Fords use that mirror attachment, some Chevy's...it may very well have been on cars you've driven (rentals, etc.), but unless you looked, you may never notice. That's the first thing I do is instead of having the shaft pointing down to lower the mirror, I pivot it up to get it as far out of the way as I can.

A few cars ago, I special ordered an Audi A6 without a sunroof...took months. It had 2.85" more headroom than an identical one with a sunroof. When it became time to replace that car, I checked with the dealer who looked and found 2 cars in the whole country without a sunroof. The way they have the options packages for many cars, some of the desireable options MUST include the sunroof (at the time, you could not get the HID lights except with a package with the sunroof).

One option I'd like to see more of is a solar panel powered ventillation system...the brighter the sun, the faster it moves the hot air out of the car. Hassle is, if it is there, the few that do offer it, put the solar cells in the sunroof, which usurps all that headroom!
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    One option I'd like to see more of is a solar panel powered ventillation system...the brighter the sun, the faster it moves the hot air out of the car. Hassle is, if it is there, the few that do offer it, put the solar cells in the sunroof, which usurps all that headroom!

I have the solar sunroof in my dark blue A6 4.2 and it is wonderful at keeping the interior cool in the summer. But it is a very rare option.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Well, this is a very specialized car, but the new M3 Coupe has a carbon fiber roof w/o a sunroof option! It is, however, available on the M3 Sedan.
    Well, if you are willing to wait, since almost nobody orders them from the factory that way, many of the cars in this category can be had without a sunroof, but then you will NOT be able to get much of any options, since it is included or mandatory with most packages. I know it is a pain, and understand the ecconomies of scale, but really liked the huge option lists and checkboxes of old -you could then pick and choose exactly what you wanted. Pushing the envelope to obtain fuel economy means lower cars with more swept back rooflines. Throw in a mandatory sunroof, and you've eliminated a fair amount of people that actually fit in them. As noted, on the last car, an Audi A6 from late last decade, the difference was 2.85". That's huge.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My A6 2005 lease is over in 30 days -- I will keep the car 6 months from a few days ago when I placed an order for a new A4 B8 -- I'll of course still hang around here and other car forums, but I will officially be moving to the NEAR-LPS neighborhood in the next few months.

All things considered, the new A4 will be way too close in size, lux and performance to the current A6 which is not due for replacement for at least another year, to justify paying more essentially for "about the same," in my circumstances (no kids, two small dogs and my wife to transport.)

I ordered the Audi drive select which ough to make this car, "interesting" in terms of performance.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Best of luck with the A4!
    - Ray
    Drooling over the R8 this AM at the auto show.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    All things considered, the new A4 will be way too close in size, lux and performance to the current A6 which is not due for replacement for at least another year, to justify paying more essentially for "about the same," in my circumstances (no kids, two small dogs and my wife to transport.)

Congrats on the new car. The new A4 is really nice, though it were me, I would've held out for whatever Audi ends up doing with either a 300hp version of the 3.2, or the 3.0T. I own my LS though, so I have the luxury of holding on to it until I'm ready to buy again.
    I don't have the luxury of time. . . . :cry:
    I don't have the luxury of time. . . .

How about a lease end buy-out and waiting for the new A6? We need to come up with a way to keep you and your contributions on the forum. You will be missed.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    What made you go with the Audi? It appears that BMW and INFINITI were close contenders in your last lease period. I'm assuming your new A4 will also be leased?
    Infiniti, last time, actually got a $1,500 deposit out of me, a sold order car and I almost left Audi -- they simply came back, from out of no where and a car that had been almost $200 per month more was reduced in price to LESS than the Infiniti.

I had NOT been happy with the fact that both BMW's 5 and Infiniti's M were "as high or higher" in content and, in the case of the Bimmer, a bigger MSRP -- but less money per month.

I was, at the time, fully ready to drive off in a new Infiniti.

This time, the CTS, the Infiniti's (again) and somewhat a new Bimmer seemed contenders -- the 2008 A6 with the only real differnce being the backup camera was aced out by the new 2009 A4 -- the wheelbase of the new A4 is about 1" less than the A6, the technology in the new A4 is the leader of the Audi family, including the A5. The A6 has at least one more year before any significant change -- and the Q5 would, too, be unavailable in time.

Soo, yes the new one will be leased. I ordered the 19" sport package, Premium Plus, Audi drive select, backup camera, nav, etc etc etc --Phantom black with beige sport seats, bla bla bla.

I also really went out on a limb -- I ordered the new 2.0TFSI since at 258 pound feet of torque it seemed the V6 with 243 (at a higher rpm) was out-gunned. I assume this one will be no more than $46K (about 7K less than my A6.)

Hey, maybe I'll hate it -- or maybe it will make we lust for the replacement A6 which will certainly have all this new tech PLUS MORE in it when it finally comes to market in, what 2010 or 2011?

Chris Collinsworth's R8 was at the dealer today -- RED! What a sweet car.

Now, for my $100K+, I'd go for a fully tricked out S8.

In the mean time, perhaps this will be my slightly smaller, higher performing, A6 3.2 -- the new A4 that is.

No reason I can't participate here, despite my taking, as some would say, a step back or down in "segment."

This will not be my last car, by far -- it probably won't be my last Audi.

I simply like the Audi family -- my 2005 A6 has been darn near flawless and always fun to drive. Best one yet in terms of fit, finish and quality.

Looking forward to more in the 2009 Audi A4 quattro.

I'll keep you all posted.
  • renssilsrenssils Member Posts: 24
    My memory is fuzzy, but a GM engineer recently told me that the current Cadillac satnav is made either by Alpine or by Pioneer.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Mark

This is like `old times`, and I look forward to your review of the new car.....I use to think at one time that `say` a bmw 3 was a step down fron say a bmw 5, but over they years I have concluded they are just different cars --both good--but for different needs....I think the Audi is in the same boat, and knowing your depth of knowledge with Audi, what`s this number 20+ , ? , your choice is well researched....Congradulations, and good luck Tony
    Gas prices go up and nobody even talks about the LPS market. It has been 6 weeks since anyone has posted. Has everyone sold their V8s? Am I the only one left? Even at $4.65 a gallon, I still enjoy my German V8.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    You're not the only one. I'm still enjoying mine, too. Admittedly, I don't do nearly as many leisure drives as I used to. I think things fell off in here partly because a lot of the guys have family/household financial obligations and having an LPS to begin with was already stretching the budget. I guess the gas prices finally tipped them over the edge. Probably why the hybrid talk is so rampant amongst the people you'd least expect to worry about it, the HELC, Luxury Lounge, LPS posters. :(
    Has everyone sold their V8s? Am I the only one left? Even at $4.65 a gallon, I still enjoy my German V8.

Actually, I just moved up from a V8 to a new German V10 :) This is the LPS board, and the segment is midway into the model cycle. There isn't a lot of "news" happening. I expect things will pick up when there's a new 5 or M.
    ... There isn't a lot of "news" happening. ...

What about the buzz over the new F10 5-series, upcoming A6 redesign, GS-F, (scheduled) new E-class, the recently released XF, etc.? There's plenty of "news" out there. Where is everyone hiding? :confuse:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    "Where is everyone hiding?"

Maybe the question is not "where," but "from whom...!" ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

We need something new to talk about. The new A6's super charged engine is interesting, but it isn't here yet and there is little buzz anywhere about this -- in the Audi world the buzz, right now, is about the upcoming A4.
    Mark it is great to hear from you. Are you still in the A6 or have you taken delivery on the A4? If so, what is the report on the A4? I agree that the lack of buzz on the 2009 facelifted A6 is kind of strange. But then again Audi has never quite figured out the US PR game.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    are being hush hush about it for sure.
    Never thought I say this, month 38 of the 2005 A6 -- it is as tight as it was new, or it sure seems to be. The interior shows no signs of wear either.

I am hopeful the new '09 A4 is the next step up!
    I am 40 months, and 47,000 miles, into my 05 4.2 and it feels as tight as it did day one. Once I got over the elctrical/MMI gremlins, the car has also been pretty much trouble free.

When do you take delivery of the A4? What engine are you getting?
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Mark-

Somewhat surprised you opted for the '09 A4 instead of the new BMW "blue" diesels coming out about the same time. Isn't clean diesel the wave of the future?
    After owning 4,768 straight Audis, ok the number is more like 25, I don't think Mark is genetically capable of buying anything else. I have seen Mark at the meetings for AA -- Audi Anonymous -- and he always stands up and says "Hi, my name is Mark and and I am an Audiholic". I am suprised that he was able to quit the A6 and go with the A4. I am guessing that his sponsor does not want him going cold turkey and thought that a transition would be easier. ;)
    is the current Audi poster child. They should use him in a national TV add or something.

I agree with the reason he went with the A4. It's a more logical choice at this time.
    My wife has her second, in a row, BMW X3 -- a 2008 fully decked, this time, GASP, with an auto trans.

As a side note, she has the new uprated i6 engine -- now at 5,000 miles, this is one very nice engine. Perhaps, I dare say, nicer than the Audi 3.2. Say it ain't so.

In any case. . .

I can, from time to time, get my non-Audi fix -- I remain, therefore a proud member of AA.

It's been 38 months since my last new Audi -- I'm due.

The current A6 vs the soon to be A4 -- just didn't seem much of a contest -- at least perhaps until the A6 gets the workover and the new supercharged engine. Then there's that pesky issue of $5, $6 or higher gasoline.

Yep the diesel would've been sweet -- but just now coming on line: readily available diesel. We're getting better, but just not there yet. Besides, the new 2.0TFSI has more HP and more torque over the sweet spot of RPM's (under 4,500) that most of us can -- practically speaking -- use.

I may like less frequent fill ups.

BTW, I did test the CTS several times, but it just seemed to be a step backwards from the 2005 A6 (and the STS was even moreso.)

Drove a car, on test, that I liked, a lot: BMW X6, but for $70K it seemed a "why bother" when compared with the X5 for less money right beside it. If the price would drop -- I think the BMW X6 might just be -- "temporarily" (until the next one comes along from somebody) -- the new Batmobile.

See you at the AA meetings.
    Audi fan myself [but I sell BMW'S] I just got a 335 sedan with manual. FUN CAR!
    Drove a car, on test, that I liked, a lot: BMW X6, but for $70K it seemed a "why bother" when compared with the X5 for less money right beside it. If the price would drop -- I think the BMW X6 might just be -- "temporarily" (until the next one comes along from somebody) -- the new Batmobile.

Maybe its just me, but I don't understand the X6 at all. It's like a 335xi coupe with monster truck tires. The proportions are all wrong, and of course the pricing is ridiculous. How's that automatic in your new X3? Any issues?
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    "Drove a car, on test, that I liked, a lot: BMW X6, but for $70K it seemed a "why bother" when compared with the X5 for less money right beside it. If the price would drop -- I think the BMW X6 might just be -- "temporarily" (until the next one comes along from somebody) -- the new Batmobile."

I share your passion for Audi's... albeit directed a bit more toward the blue & white Roundel! Audi is rapidly climbing my interest ladder (open admirer of the S5, but supply not aligned with demand right now and the wait for an '09 S5 is Dec/Jan delivery!).

I found the X6 an equally intriguing ride and fits my personal profile... but the pricing is through the roof! I think this statement is key - "fits my profile"... seems that the X6 is the product of a Marketing mindset looking for further market segmentation. Unsure if this will work in their favor, but it is a quality piece.

Believe the TTV8 model can hit $80K - $25K more than the excellent 535SP! More than the 550 as well, in which case both 5-Series cars provide the superior driving experience IMO.

My '03 530SP can still get down the road "real nice" as we say here in the South! Can get from my Atlanta home to my Mom's Orlando home on 1 tank of gas! One of the many reasons I'd have a tough time moving to a new ride at this time... although that TT6 in the 535 is an incredible mill.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Maybe its just me, but I don't understand the X6 at all. It's like a 335xi coupe with monster truck tires. The proportions are all wrong, and of course the pricing is ridiculous.

Well put. My feelings about this, um, thing are similar. It's the answer to a question that no one has asked.
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    I must be missing something ;)
    The spec sheet for the new Audi A4 says there's 40" of front headroom. Has anyone sat in one - is it really that much? My guess is that that value is without the sunroof, but, all of the trim levels INCLUDE the sunroof, so you could never get one without in the US, anyways. Way back when, I ordered an A6 without because it had nearly 3" more headroom and fit me fine. Couldn't get the wanted options in the current version if ordered without a sunroof, so I bought something else with more headroom. Might think about it, but wondered if anyone knows...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large local newspaper would like to speak with consumers who currently owns or owned an Acura. The reporter wants to discuss why you stayed with Acura or decided on another luxury brand as your next vehicle. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than September 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

. . .must be passe, based on activity level here on this board.

Well, what the heck, I, too am no longer in the LPS life or lane, I am, er, in the NEAR LPS crowd, now that I have my, er, $49,000 "entry level" LPS Audi A4 (and the thing has a 4 cylinder in it to top it off.)

I must say, however, that I have sacrificed little. My outgoing A6 (2005) was about an inch longer in wheel base and perhaps 5 inches longer in overall length. Audi wisely widened the new A4 too, so even tho it isn't quite as wide as the outgoing A6, I don't miss it one bit.

Now, I am in a lighter, better balanced and more powerful car (258 pound feet of torque at sub 1,900 rpm vs 243 at over 3,200.) Of course the new ride is lighter, has RWD biased AWD, 19" wheels full sport everything and Bang & Olufsen 550watt sound system and "four golden rings," couldn't resist considering the upcoming season. The engine sips gas and with all the stuff at this price point, I even get the Audi Drive Select system and Blind Spot warning, backup camerat and an automatic power rear window sunshade.

Sport seats, sport suspension, sport this that and the other thing -- great great great sound system and paddle shifters, bi-xenons, full voice command and a much improved map system for the DVD nav (next guy will get the hard drive and new MMI). The CD player is an in dash changer which is a nice step up from the outgoing A6.

In any case, I dropped from a $53K+ car to a $49K car as equipped. I have made a major step forward in engine, handling, transmission, sound system and overall comfort.

I did not get a heated steering wheel, rear heated seats or a power actuated steering column (all of which I would expect for this much money.) I also had to buy my own tail pipe tips to round out the upscale look of a brilliant white paint job with 5 spoke 19" wheels with 255 wide tires on a 35 series shoulder.

This thing is seriously fast and quick -- and the smoothness defies and belies that it is a four cylinder powerplant. If fours can be made this smooth and this powerful and this frugal, who needs a six? (Well, the new supercharged V6 would probably change my mind in about 4.5 seconds, eh?)

This is the quietest car I have ever had -- and remember I have had an A8.

In full on dynamic mode, this thing is painfully capable of making you think "sports sedan." I keep it dialed down ONE notch from full on dynamic mode. I keep all the other modes, however, at full tilt boogie.

One dollar more per month on the lease than the outgoing A6. I had had the C6 A6 for 60,000 miles and it still felt new to me. I hope the same can and will be said about the new A4 which I leased for 50,000 miles (up 5K from the outgoing A6.)

I was considering the Infiniti G35X (which seemed cramped) and a 3 series BMW (ditto), an outgoing A6 was offered at a super sweet deal, but this 2009 A4 beats even my patriotic CTS choice -- by far.

So, I bid you all, as it were, a fare thee well and will be checking back from time to time to see if there is any activity here in LPS land.

Drive it like you live.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Congrats, and if that thing is not an LPS I don't know what is.

My LS 430 and LX 470 really don't qualify but I really like reading the posts here so I hope it livens back up. Keep us posted on how the two of you are getting along. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

This thing is seriously fast and quick -- and the smoothness defies and belies that it is a four cylinder powerplant. If fours can be made this smooth and this powerful and this frugal, who needs a six? (Well, the new supercharged V6 would probably change my mind in about 4.5 seconds, eh?)

That's what makes me wonder what Audi will do with the A4 3.2. Will they replace it with the 3.0T, and then have the S4 with the same engine and not that much more power? Or will they leave it with the 3.2 V6 and be at a competitive disadvantage with Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, etc. who are all offering 300+hp V6s for the same money as the 3.2?
    My last car was an A6 that I special ordered without a sunroof to the extra (2.85") of headroom over the readily available units with one. I fit handily in that car, but since that year, you couldn't get many of the nice bits unless it had a sunroof, so I went elsewhere for a new car. The spec sheet for the 2009 A4 shows more front seat headroom by a couple inches than before. I was wondering if they measured one without a sunroof. Any clue how much there is in reality?
    Mark,

It is great to hear from you. Enjoy the new ride.

Kevin
    I read that the S4 (upcoming) will be at the price point of the 335xi sedan. My car, all equipped as it is, is priced content wise a tiny bit less than a 328xi (and the Audi has a lot more content than is offered in the 328xi, so the A4 actually seems quite a bit more car for the $.) The RS4 will be the M3 rival and as for the 3.2, I'll bet they'll be awfully difficult to move if the prospective customer has a chance to test drive the 2.0TFSI back to back with the 3.2FSI variant.

The only thing the 3.2 has on the 2.0 is a bit sweeter sound -- but the A4 is so quiet it is really hard to make that argument worth $3,000 -- especially since the 2.0T gets better mileage and is quicker due to its greater and more instantaneous torque.

There has been an argument put forth that demonstrates a 328xi equipped EXACTLY like an A4 3.2 are even close enough in price to not get the 3.2 to be put up against the 335xi.

I am pleased -- but I really liked the A6; and it was the most reliable car ever as far as I am concerned. 60,000 miles and it felt "like new."
    Hey, it's markcincinatti! :) I was just asking if you were still alive a few days ago. I haven't seen one of your dissertations around here in months. Where've you been?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    The car sounds awesome. Keep us apprised of your experience with it and the best of luck with it.
  • ExoticRallyistExoticRallyist Member Posts: 1
    Hello to everyone, I am new to the forum and looking forward to the future!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    this here or directly in the Jag section, but the knowledge here may be broader...

One of my potential purchases in the future is a 2007 Jag XJ8...

Are they only repaired at Jag dealers, of which there are few, or can any Ford dealer fix them as they were a division of Ford until bought by Tata...

It may be a choice between a 2007 DTS or 2007 XJ8...both cars have great luxury and good performance and mpg, and they both started out new at $50-60 grand and can be had, I believe, for under $30K at the 2-3 year old point...

So, it comes down to dealer service...and if only Jag dealers can fix Jags, we only have 2 in Atlanta, and, since I drive thru Alabama on my way to Mississippi, where there may be fewer Caddy or Jag dealers, the thought that maybe Ford dealers can fix the Jag would mean it would be easier, since every town has a Ford dealer...

Thanks for any thoughts...
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    can any Ford dealer fix them as they were a division of Ford until bought by Tata...

I doubt that mechanics that service the Taurus and Focus are trained to work on a Jaguar; I would say NO.
    Are they only repaired at Jag dealers, of which there are few, or can any Ford dealer fix them as they were a division of Ford until bought by Tata...

For minor things like oil changes, any decent independent shop should be able to do the job. For warranty work or any kind of major service, take it to a Jag dealer. As for the DTS vs. the XJ, it's not even a contest. The DTS is a FWD relic with an ancient 4-speed automatic and and equally old engine and platform. The XJ has proper RWD a state of the art aluminum body, and one of the best 6-speed automatics in the world. Despite the bargain basement price, it commands just as much respect as an S-class or 7 series.
  • desert_ratdesert_rat Member Posts: 23
    I don't think the two cars would compare well, more like a bear vs. a Jaguar.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I am not sure how you arrived at those two choices but....IMO neither is a good choice. Take a look at a good Certified Pre Owned Lexus LS, something in the 2004-06 range. They can be had in that same price range plus you get a great warranty. Just drive one and you will understand.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Take a look at a good Certified Pre Owned Lexus LS, something in the 2004-06 range.

I second the LS recommendation if long term dependability is a top concern. Also, I know from experience that Toyota dealers will be able to service an LS.