Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Trucksrme, I don't know about the limiteds having hitches. When I was at the Toyota dealer last every single Tundra they had on the lot had a tow hitch on it, including the Limiteds, go figure!

Barlitz, I keep up to tundrasolutions and most of the problems you stated aren't much of a problem. The only known problems that I know about is some vibrations and paint problems, both of which I haven't heard much about lately. Supposedly they're correcting the problem?

81Chevy, you do know that the Tundra is made in Indiana, right? And they were also designing the Tundra based on the F-150 because as we all know the F-150 is America's best selling truck, so they figured there has got to be a reason for all of these people that buy F-150's.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    My post wasn't necessarilly meant to degrade the Tundra or its owners but to let you know that all trucks aren't perfect,there seems to be just as many minor problems and some a little more than minor with the Tundra just as a Ford or Chevy but also keep in mind for every Tundra built there are 9 Fords and 8 Chevy's and probably 6 Dodges,so you are bound to have more problems with the more vehicles made.
  • cliffy2cliffy2 Member Posts: 6
    You realize that the JD Powers survey rates vehicle problems in the first 3 months of owership right? And the Tundra as a first year vehicle had the fewest problems of any full size truck. Not too shabby.
  • cliffy2cliffy2 Member Posts: 6
    I now realize how you have a hitch on your Limited. I assumed you had a 4 wheel drive. The 2 wheel drive can have a hitch, it is only the 4x4 that must yield to our beloved government. Mystery solved on that one. Enjoy it, I know I do.
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    Makes sense to me. Whatever I love this truck.
  • 81chevy81chevy Member Posts: 37
    Well first to answer the stupid yuppie with the Anti-Union thought

You may see them driving trucks because a lot of Union members are hard working Americans who have lower paying job but work 800% harder than you do, and they put a lot more miles on their car and trucks.

As far as Union people not living better, Pilots are one of the strongest Unions and they make in the upper 100,000$ year range. The people that make this country run are union.

oh and by the way, my 81' Chevy C10 has over 326,000 miles on it with no rust and it is still in good shape, and yes I have a Buy Union Buy American sticker on it.

enough about that before I blow up,

Indiana Built means jack, first in Indiana those aren't Union workers.

secondly the Tundra has a smaller % of US-Canadian component, and their transmissions (and I'm not shure about engines but probably) are made in Japan.

Chevy Silverado 91% US-Canadian Component, Engine and Tranny built in the US!

Oh and buy the way, a survey found:
    Number one on their list was Ford. The Fords most purchased by the rich were pick-up trucks and the Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle. Cadillac and Lincoln came is second and third.
    Nearly sixty percent of the millionaires surveyed purchased American-made cars
    Your comment is a good one but how many Tundras were sold in the 1st 3 months compared to Ford,Chevy or Dodge.If the #'s were equal amounts sold on all 4 trucks.100 tundras 100 F150's 100 Chevy's and 100 Rams.How do you think that survey would end up.#1 most people who buy the Tundra probably bought for different reasons than say an F150 or a Ram, not necesssarily for work but occasional light hauling or towing.I don't even think you can do any type of commercial plowing with a Tundra.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    JD Power's numbers are based on problems per 100 vehicles. Ford, Dodge and Chevy have more problems per 100 trucks than the Tundra. I was just at the Powers' site and they have not posted the actual numbers but if memory serves me, the industry average is something like 150 problems per 100 vehicles and the top rated vehicle had something like 78. This illustrates that no car is perfect and chances are good that you will experience some minor problems with anything you choose but your chances are better with a Toyota than the others.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    We use tractors for plowing down here in the South, not trucks (where is trucksrme when you need him?)
    The fact that you own an '81 illustrates what was being said about the stereotype of a pro-union type. The fact that you have not purchased a union built truck in 19 years means you are not contributing to the improvement of the domestic manufacturers or its workers.

Also, while I really don't want to engage in a political discussion here, I do want to make sure you are not confusing American made with North American made. The Domestics have gotten away with counting Mexico and Canada as "American made" for too many years so let's not perpetuate that farce.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    We got us that massey-fugerrson one now, and it be the best of them tractors now. Suppose some yuppie be statin it ba a kabota or somethin now. Them kabota ones be for the yuppie farmer now. Good luck on this one now!
  • chrietzbergchrietzberg Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Tundra LTD 4x4 loaded with one problem of importance. When I come to stop the idle rpms are normally at 500 but at times it idles at 750 then "pops", noise included, down to 500 rpm with a feeling of "give" for lack of a better word like it was being held in 2nd gear. Also, it shifts noticeably rough at times when upshifting or downshifting, auto transmission. The dealer said it was the spline in the driveshaft needed grease, a common problem, but that did not help. Feels like auto trans problem, I'll let the dealer decide. Other than that, I miss my 350 that had a little more power at the same mpg and the arm rests are too short on the captains chairs. All that aside, the Tundra is a nice ride that handles well and time will tell. I was wondering, why do the Japanese always lean small on the motors with no apparent advantage because, like I said, I am getting 14-16 mpg with less power than my Vortec 350 and finally does anybody have any suggestions about the transmission issue? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Is your a/c on or off. Compressor cycling is what I think of from your description.
    Well I was given my truck by my Grandfather a few years back. I'm a college student so I don't exactly have money coming out my ears.

BTW when my Grandfather purchased his truck he bought a new Chevy K1500.
    I was talking about American made models

some models are also made in Canada but that is because the stupid canucks made a law where American car companies have to build as many as they sell in that country.

as far as mexican made only a few small cars are made in Mexico, and Dodge produces about everything there.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    All American Chevy El Camino made in Mexico in the 80's? No.... Chevy would never do that.
    So you would have to agree that the Tundra is actually U.S. built and the "domestics" are not. Thank you.

By the way, upon graduating college, with which union will you associate yourself?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    THAT'S WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME

The FTC requires those domestic content labels on the window, so consumers are not confused by the twisted logic Cliffy if expressing.

To be domestic, you have to have at least 50% US content on the label. Last time I looked, the Silverado sticker read 85% US, 15% others. Last time I looked on the Tundra, it was 50% Japan, 50% others. Tundra = import. No big deal. Don't try and sell it as something it is not.

Just trying to clarify, not bash in the Toyota topic.

Quad
    You are falling for the exact thing the big three want you to fall for. North American content is not US content. If anybody is using twisted logic, it is Detroit, not me. All I was trying to point out is that the Tundra is assembled in the US and that can not be said of all the so-called domestic trucks.

You know what, forget about it. If you base your decisions on where a vehicle is built instead of how it is built and how it meets your needs, we have nothing to talk about. This whole domestic versus import argument never made any sense to me.
  • bigboy3bigboy3 Member Posts: 22
    Cliff, Your are so right. If half of these hypocrits would look at where 90 percent of the things they own are made, they would probably consider themselves communist. If they want to buy nothing but what is made in USA, they better chunk their TV's, VCR's,Lawnmowers, Weedeaters, Chainsaws, clothing, etc. I could go on and on. Sounds to me like the pot is calling the kettle black.
    Cliffy,
    Not falling for anything from Detroit. The FTC is in Washington D.C.

The label says U.S. content, not North American content.

Bigboy,
    I don't know if you are labeling me as a hypocrite or not. And I don't care. What I am saying, is that the information about what constitutes a U.S. made product is out there so consumers can understand. I believe you may be one of the ones who don't. If after getting the information, you still want to buy and imported product, I say that's great! And it appears Cliffy's Toyota dealership is perfectly willing to tell you whatever it is you want to hear, so you'll buy one. Your lack of understanding about it is not my problem.
  • bigboy3bigboy3 Member Posts: 22
    I understand what the mfg. are doing with their labeling.(actually I think the gov't requires it)
    And I am not saying that you are a hypocrit. You seem to be pretty level headed guy from what I gather from your posts. What I was telling Cliff was that there are certain ones on this forum that try to criticize people for buying vehicles that do not have a domestic label on them. The only ones that could be critical of import buyers would be those that will not or do not buy anything but domestically made items. I know this would be hard to accomplish. I work with people that say everyone should buy domestic vehicles, but yet they go home and use their John Deere Mowers that have Kawasaki engines on them, their Tanaka weed eaters, pressure washers with honda engines on them, and drive GM products made in Mexico. It is a fact that GM employs over 25,000 people at less than $3.00 an hour. Now, if the union workers want to be upset with someone, they need to be mad at the domestic auto makers that are giving american jobs to mexicans in other countries. This year Motor Trend will no longer give an award for import car or truck of the year, because they cannot differentiate between what is import and what is domestic anymore. I hope I did not offend you but, they are others on this and other forums that are not consistent in their facts. A lot of them drive one vehicle or another only because daddy or grandaddy always drove that particular brand and that makes them the best. Sorry this post so long. Just wanted to make myself clear.
    I know full well the distinction between DC and Detroit. I literally work in the shadow of the Washington Monument and I also know the the labeling law was pushed by lobbyists from the big 3 manufacturers and the label reads, "US/Canada parts content" This was done at the bequest of Detroit.

As far as what I will tell people to sell them a truck, give me a try and see. You may not like all the answers I give but they are truthful to the best of my abilities. Now, if you are not interested in Toyota trucks, what are you doing posting on this topic?
    Bigboy,
    That was well said.

Cliffy,
    You work in one of my favorite cities. But you clearly have an ax to grind against what the FTC requires in the way of labeling. When the label on the Tundra reads 51% US/Can, 49% others, I think you'll feel much better about telling people where trucks are made.
    I'll just have to take your word for that. I feel pretty good about what I do anyway. As for the FTC and other arms of our beloved federal government, no sir, I don't trust them and don't think they always have our best interests at heart. If that is axe grinding, so be it.
    Them limited ones be forien. Just cuz they be "assembled" in US dont make em American. First they be callin em "full size" and now they tryin to say them be American? Them tundras be pint sized forien ones for sure, fact is the fact on this one. And how bout them limited ones and that hitch? This sure be the mystery now. Good luck on this one now!
    You have a great ally in trucksrme. You've got to be happy about that right? :)
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    I agree 100% barlitz
    My A/C has caused some of this as I have noticed that I can turn the A/C off when it is at 750 rpm and it will give a little and fall to 500 rpm but not to the degree that it happens when it does it's thing to the hilt. I wish you could experience it personally. It will actually startle you with noise and energy release. My dealer called and wants to replace the driveshaft first thing. I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the response. Marc
    That be called the truth for them not used too hearin on it. Them forein ones be blowin the smoke, gettin in folks eyes, blindin em from the truth. The fact is the fact on this one here. Kinda like them hitchs on them limited ones, nobody really knows the truth on that one for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    Hello. I am a union worker in Texas and grew up in a union family as a child, Union Pacific railroad. I have also worked in a non-union shop and know the difference between the two. I ordered a 1999 Chevy Tahoe loaded to the hilt about 18 months ago. The GM strike hit shortly after that and I waited 4 months for my vehicle to be built. When the strike ended, my vehicle was built and the engine was assembled in Lansing, Michigan. They were still pissed off, justifyably so, and left all of the lifter keepers off my engine which caused the roller lifters to spin and ground metal was sent all through the motor. They replaced all the lifters, the camshaft, and flushed the motor and refused to replace it even up to arbitration. My mains saw all of that hard metal, if you understand the implication to the bearings. I was a Chevy man hard core until that. The vehicle was assembled in Mexico and I had 18 warranty repairs in 12 months, none of which were Mexican assembly related, I hate to admit. I sold the vehicle and bought a Tundra. It is assembled in Indiana with Japanese parts. I would much rather have this truck than any Chevy. NAFTA has made it very easy for American companies to exploit foriegn countries for their personal gain. I work for Trane/American Standard in Tyler, Texas and we just lost 1000 jobs to Monterey, Mexico because they have no OSHA, EPA, or labor laws which makes assembly there cheap and more profitable for Trane. I am a union steward and avid union member and NAFTA is the worst thing that our government ever allowed to happen to us. Who will be around to buy these $35,000 cars when all of the high paying hourly jobs are gone to foreign countries?Regarding American cars, there is no new vehicle, to my knowledge, that has all American parts with all American assembly. Isuzu is in partnership with Chevy. The Isuzu Hombre comes off the same assembly line that the S-10 does. Mercedes is in bed with Chrysler. Many Chevy 350's were made in Mexico. There is no such thing as an "American car" like there used to be anymore because the world's economy has gone global. If there was, I would buy one. Anyone who is looking to buy "American" is under a false delusion that the option even still exists. Chevy has plants in 30 countries that makes all kinds of parts for Chevy. Ford is the closest thing to American one can get. I bought the Tahoe because of my strong union position, waited through the strike, and learned a valuable lesson. It won't happen again. I have been in manufacturing for 20 years and all companies are looking at one thing now, profit period. All integrity in business is gone and it saddens me greatly as if anyone would buy "american", it would be me. In today's economy, go with quality, not old, outdated ideas and perhaps a misguided loyalty to something that no longer exists. You seem to know little about the "American flag" but I am not going to your level with words like "rat".
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    81 chevy... do i know you? you described someone i know to a tee when talkin to yourself, so im just wonderin, is your chevy a dark blue crew cab?
    Well First,

Tundra, less made here, less % of the truck with American parts.

Now, the majority of Chevy and Fords are made in this country, Chevy makes some in Canada (no model is exlusively made in Canada so it is easy to check on the window sticker and buy the one made in America) now, the reason Chevy makes trucks in Canada is because our jerk neighbors to the north decided to make a law where you have to make as many vehicles as you sell in the country.

As far as labels, Car Manfufactures are required to post U.S/Candaian component, and when I went a drove a Silverado it had 91%, this label also tells you origin of Engine and Transmission: both United States on the Silverado.

Now, as far as my clothes are concerned, I only buy American, my shirts my underwear my pants, my sock, are all made in America, and it isn't hard to find them trust me. Yes there are some things I own that were built in other countries, but that is because I couldn't find it.

And as far as El Camino's a majority of them were made in the same plant my truck was, Fremont California.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    you must be trucksrme's wife the way be u'
    taulkin' an' all. you both be the most ignorant
    postin' hillbillies this board has ever seen.
    grow up and get a John Deere. nuttin' u' all say
    means diddly to anyone here. oh yeah, if hitches
    and limited ones are all you've got against the
    tundra, then you really have'nt a clue. the
    tundra will pull the acorns outta' your massey
    furg. anyday. you're not foolin' anyone by the
    way, anyone that can turn on a computer and go
    online can't possibly be as stupid as you act.
    you're just some bored bozo that has'nt anything
    better to do but annoy people. personally i find
    you hillarious especially when you forget to
    misspell the same words twice.
    Very well said. Thank you for the reasoned posting, we don't see enough of that here.
  • present4upresent4u Member Posts: 52
    Okay, I'll stop, but you may want to re-read my post; I think we're on the same side. :)

.. And for all the anti-Tundra folks, I have to admit that I own a restored 1968 Chevelle SS396 convertible -- factory matching numbers, no modern add-ons, and will soon be perfect to the point where even the factory hose clamps will be in the correct 'o-clock' positions.

I could trade it for a loaded new Silverado at any tim, but that would be an atrociously ignorant thing to do.

Besides, my Tundra hawls it just fine.
    It is impossible to buy a 100% american made vehicle I think the Saturn is the closest you'll ever get about 96%.I'm not saying everything american but as much as possible help everyone out.Toyota does have 2 vehicles that are UAW made the Tacoma and Corolla but to me thats not good enough.Japan's economy right now is struggling if it wasn't for the american market they'd be in even tougher shape.As americans you do have the right to anything you want practically its your choice as fas as your purchases.But it doesn't hurt to think about what your buying think about who made it wether its clothing or auto's.It could be a factory in your town with 100's of employees that gets shut down because of an every day purchase that we as americans sometimes take for granted take a second and look at the label.
    Thank you for your response. I think about my purchases all the time but with autos, it's getting difficult to make a positive contribution to the USA in this global environment. As I mentioned, Chevy is now partners with Isuzu, Chrysler is partners with Daimler/Mercedes, Dodge is now partners with Mitsubishi making the Intrepid and Stealth. The Tundra purchase supported hundreds, maybe thousands, of people in Indiana, our heartland. Of course, it also supported a corporate office in Japan. I don't like this any more than you. Did you know that our government ships entire trees, less the tops, on freighters by the thousands to Japan everyday because they refuse to buy our processed lumber yet they do not have the necessary lumber for construction? The trade imbalance with Japan and many other countries exists like you said and the people responsible are our own government. We closed down many, many electronics factories like Curtis Mathis, RCA, and others to buy our electronics from Japan because they are cheaper. Now they have all the market on these products and have us by the balls because if you want a TV, VCR, camera, or any other piece of electronics, you will be buying Japanese or some other country. It's our own fault and it all boils down to one thing, greed. Remember after WWII when no one would dare buy anything from the Japanese? That would suit me just fine to buy only American products. It doesn't make sense to be attacked by Japan at Pearl Harbor, go blow the hell out them, then rebuild their country only to equip them with the necessary technology to bomb us with electronics. Once again, thanks.
    Hello. I have noticed that you keep mentioning a hitch issue related to a limited. I have a 4x4 limited access cab Tundra equipped with a hitch and harness but I haven't used it much. Did you know that you can't buy a Tundra without an engine oil cooler or transmission cooler standard? Every one of them has it standard. The tow package consists of only the hitch and wiring harness. Would you enlighten me as to what the problem is with the hitch? Thanks.
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    There's no problem with getting a hitch on a Limited or a Limited's ability to tow over 7000 lbs. You can't order a hitch on a Limited from the factory because the Limited weighs slightly more than an SR5 and the EPA only lets Toyota put a certain % of hitches on the Tundra without changing the Tundra's weight classification/mandatory corporate fuel economy. I couldn't get a Class IV hitch on an F150 either from the factory. Do like I did. Take delivery, walk over to the parts counter and order a Class IV hitch, walk over to service and make an appointment to have it installed. Get your salesman to get you a discount. Worked for me.
    As far as purchasing only American, my uncle was captured at the start of WWII, went through the Bataan Death March and was slave labor for 4 years for the Japanese. Earned two bronze stars and a purple heart, among other medals. He doesn't have a problem buying Japanese products. Why should you? That was 1945, this is the year 2000. All the auto manufacturers and oil companies are INTERNATIONAL CONGLOMERATES. Get over it. My hard earned $ go to the best product. That way the poorer quality products either cease production or are forced to raise their standards.
    Them few extra pounds be breakin some EPA standard now? Aint seen one, not one fact too back that one up now. And cliffy, who be sellin them limited ones be sayin they wont put no hitch on them limiteds period! Edmunds be statin you cant get no hitch on them limited ones too. It aint got nothin to do with no EPA now. It got somethin too do with that haul, and gettin sued for it quick. This be a good one now, buy ya a limited and ya cant do the haul with it. This should pose no troubles for them yuppies, who aint haulin nothin but yuppie fluff stuff about anyways. Next time ya put the blame on that EPA, how bout backin it with some facts. Good luck on this one now!
    Your comments are correct that was then this is now,but our point is to try and buy american because it keeps people like you and me working, nothing personal against Japan and truthfully the american products have gotten a lot better because of the competition.I respect all of chreitzberg comments, being a union steward he probably understands the mentallity of the buy american keep america working attitude a lot of union workers have,Now seeing that the Tundra is made in America in all honesty what makes all you Tundra owners think that your trucks will be more reliable than any of the domestics in the long run.
    Your uncle is a hero. Because of him and many others we are able to live a free life. In my opinion, WWII was the single most important event to our freedom since our independence in 1776. He is lucky to have survived the Death March. I also understand about buying the best product which is why I bought a Tundra. I also buy Japanese electronics all the time. This is a very complex issue, the trade imbalance with Japan, and probably should be discussed in another forum as it detracts from the Tundra topic somewhat so I will not mention it again in the future. However, my last comment is this. When your own government sells you out, NAFTA, to exploit a poor country, Mexico, and the place you work closes it's doors to move to Mexico or Canada for higher profit margins and they are paying their CEO's 5 million dollar annual bonuses, things tend to get a little personal. You really have to experience it for yourself before it hits home. Sure, we can all get other jobs and you are right about the best product but I have seen corporate greed at it's most blatant and heartless and it is a sad thing. Just how much money does a company have to make? I think you would feel different if you were one of the thousand fathers and mothers who were handed pink slips at my plant in Tyler, Texas. I am still there but I have seen many people literally in tears begging me for help, seen them lose everything, seen suicides over this, marriages break up, drug abuse and alcoholism at it's lowest level. I have "gotten over it", but I go to funerals all the time of former union members who never did get over it; all over another 2 or 3% in the profit margin. I will now get off my soapbox but the public needs to know the truth. Thanks.
    Ya best be savin that soapbox for them ones at that tundra plant, ya know them ones without that contract. Nope, no UAW there for sure. Hmmmmm be wonderin why now. Maybe cuz they be payin em half what them UAW ones be gettin paided now? Dont worry bout them ones, just be happy with that tundra ya got ya now. Keep sendin that money overseas, back to that island. Me, I be supportin that UAW for sure, God bless em. Good luck on this one now!
    Sorry you can't handle the truth on the hitches but would rather put out misinformation. I have a Class IV on my Limited 4x4, as I've told you before under your other name. My Tundra hauls my 4700 lb. boat fine, plus 4 people and all my gear.
    Off the subject a bit but what makes you think the Tundra is the best product,An honest answer would be good you seem to speak the truth in your comments.And what exactly do you use your truck for?Its probably a decent truck for putting around town and occasional hauling but if you put it to the test of hard work would it hold up?I've read from actual tundra owners that it has its share of problems like any other vehicle so its way to early to say if its the best.Also another fact that would be interesting to find out was the T100 motor trends or jd powers truck of the year because that meant absolutely nothing as a matter of fact it was a complete flop.
    Got this off of Edmunds:

DH Towing Receiver Hitch (All Except Limited)

Even cliffy who be sellin em be statin you cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones. Claimin it be the EPA or somethin, but the truth be gettin out on it. This be fact on that. Best argue with Edmunds or cliffy on this one. So much for that haul in them limited ones now. Good new be that them yuppies dont do the haul with em, they just be chasin the fad now. Good luck on this one now!
  • mikey30mikey30 Member Posts: 1
    Gentleman,

I'm think about buying a Tundra. As far as I can tell, a limited slip differential is not available on the 4X4. The dealer told me that Toyota uses some other system that makes a limited slip differential unnecessary. Is that true?
This discussion has been closed.