Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• forgeforge Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it seems that "tulipmania" has engulfed California with regards to the hybrids. In the Midwest (Kansas City) you need to pre-order the HCH, but you can get them for under list price. $400 under list is the best you can do from what I can tell.

If I were in CA, I would wait. The tax credit should be good for HCH until mid next year. If you give it a little time, supply should catch up to demand. (Of course, I am not waiting either. I am going to get my Mag Pearl in mid-July, so I don't follow that advice either.)
  • vlado1vlado1 Member Posts: 4
    I went to purchase my "new" 2006 Civic Hybrid today at Salinas, CA Honda. To my dismay the sticker was removed from the window and was resting on the rear seat, in addition there was no price listed on the sticker, it only had "cva" written instead of the actual $22,700 sticker price.

I have asked a few other dealers about this and received less than adequate explanations, the majority mentioned this was a car intended to be a demo unit. All of them told me not to buy this car and I followed their recommendations.

Any thoughts on this one, sounds like a scam and that this dealer could actually be fined for this.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    How many miles did it have on it? I was under the impression that the window sticker must be left on until the car is sold, to be considered new. I would offer them $20k and tell them you will not have them investigated for selling a used car as new.
  • vlado1vlado1 Member Posts: 4
    The car had only 24 miles on it which is what is strange. They want $23,700 for this one, $1K over what I believe is the MSRP of the car. Personally I would rather not even do business with these jokers, but unfortunately they will dupe someone who is desperate for a HCH. Currently in the Bay Area dealers are charging $2k-$3k over MSRP.

Thanks for the reply
  • jentkbjentkb Member Posts: 2
    I was ready to put down a deposit for a Galaxy Gray w/ Nav on Friday. The dealer said they were slated to receive one that would be built around the end of July / beginning of Aug, but they could not take a deposit until the car was built & they had the VIN. He couldn't give me a reason (a new guy said they've had problems with people changing their minds on colors(?!)). My first thought is that it will be an '07 & they don't know what the MSRP will be. Anyone know what's really going on?
  • myepiphanymyepiphany Member Posts: 2
    I just put a $1000 deposit down on a Galaxy Grey w/o Nav that will arrive later this week (I was given a VIN number). Paid $22700, or MSRP + standard delivery charge. Bought from Lute Riley Honda in Dallas, TX. I called arouond 20 dealers in the central and north Texas area. 2 dealers had a GG on the lot, but these were going for around $24000 due to xtra crap the dealers put on the vehicle (e.g. pin stripe, tinting, etc.). 3 dealers had one that was due to arrive in the next 10 days. One dealer was willing to give it to me for $22400, but I wanted a day to think it over, and when I called the next day the car had been sold. This particular dealer was willing to sell me a Magnetic Pearl that had just arrived on the lot for $22200. I called several dealers to see if they would match, but they all said that no one in their right mind would discount. So I got a little panicky and went with the dealer who had it coming in soonest. I made him promise in writing that there would be no markups above MSRP and then put down the deposit.

FYI during my marathon calls to dealers, I found 5 dealers that had silver models on the lot, but as my wife hates the blue interior, this was not an option. At least 2 of the dealers seemed ready to discount, so I'm thinking that you can maybe get a good deal on this particular color.
  • pmzpmz Member Posts: 26
    My dealer in CO took a deposit before the serial number was issued - it was also a Navi. That was in late April. The car is now in Denver, and should be at the dealer late this week.
  • jentkbjentkb Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the metroplex & have been emailing a bunch; most offered MSRP, and one offered free dealer tint or like accessory. McDavid-Frisco is the one that wouldn't take my deposit. Did any of the ones you spoke with have or soon expect a GG w/ Nav?
  • myepiphanymyepiphany Member Posts: 2
    There was one dealer, but I confess I can't remember which. David McDavid Iriving is the one who said they'd give me $300 off MSRP. They also said they would discount $500 off MSRP if the car is on the lot. For what it's worth, Lute Riley said DM Iriving has a pretty bad rep in the area . . .
    After ordering a Metallic Pearl Navi, on 5/3/06, it is at the dealer today! Paid invoice with no dealer doc fee in CO.

Hooray!
  • ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    I've decided to buy a 2006 Civic EX/LX, sedan, auto, no navi. Please suggest a good dealer around Colorado Springs CO.

What's a good price for the 2 trims? The local Honda dealer is quoting way more than the MSRP. Can I get a good deal in Denver or Centennial or Littleton? I can travel a bit to get a good price.

Thanks.
  • othervoicesothervoices Member Posts: 3
    We're picking up our Magnetic Pearl, HCH w/Navi on Monday. Paid $23,400 plus other options, registration & sales tax (no delivery charges or hidden advertising fees, etc.). I think we got a pretty good deal.

We put down our deposit on July 8th on a car that was already on order, so it will only be a little more than 3 weeks from deposit to delivery. We would have preferred a model without navi, but that would have been a 3-4 month wait from order until delivery.

We haven't decided whether or not we're going to purchase an extended warranty, but haven't been pressured into anything.

The car came in already, and was having the options put on the other day. We got to take a look at it (having never seen the magnetic pearl color) and were very happy with it!
  • mulder2mulder2 Member Posts: 3
    Did you buy one yet? I'm in the bay area and got one a month ago.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Honda's Destination fee just went from $550 to $595, as of 8/1/06
  • neb568bceneb568bce Member Posts: 3
    So, after a lot of comparison and anxious thought, I'm finally ready to chuck my '94 Toyota Camry and buy a Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm not really digging the ivory-colored interior, so I'm trying to find a Magnetic Pearl HCH which would be fitted with the snazzy blue interior.

Anyhow, one dealer in the Dallas (TX) metroplex has told me that they can order the particular color that I want, but their next purchase order for a hybrid would be placed this month...for a 2007 model. His caution to me is that there would be a price-difference.

I'm wondering whether anybody has any reliable information about the price difference between the 2006 and the 2007 HCH. I've asked the dealer to provide me with that information, but I don't trust him to be completely honest with me. (He's hoping that I'll buy the Alabaster Silver Metallic HCH that they've already ordered and will be getting at the end of August.)

I'd greatly appreciate any info or insight that any of you can offer.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Honda doesn't custom-build vehicles. Therefore I am sceptical of your dealer's suggestion that they can order a non-standard interior, on ANY Honda vehicle.

The only way that they could sell you one would be for them to have a local upholstery shop do a custom job with aftermarket materials. That would be very costly.
  • neb568bceneb568bce Member Posts: 3
    Oh, there would be no customization at all. Blue is the standard color of the interior for the Magnesium Pearl exterior. The dealer was telling me that if he ordered the car in Magnesium Pearl for me, the car that he'd be ordering would be a 2007 model, and so the price would be higher.

I know that I could also get the blue interior if I bought the car in Alabaster Silver Metallic, but then I'd be buying a car with a silver exterior, and an interior of blue (the cloth pieces), charcoal (the upper dash and carpeting), and ivory (the lower dash and hard plastic pieces)--too many different colors I think. (Although I test-drove such a car, and it wasn't so bad.)
  • markinmdmarkinmd Member Posts: 2
    Just brought home a 2006 Magnetic Pearl with Nav for $24,299 (excluding MD sales tax) from Heritage Honda in Westminster, MD. Price was MSRP + destination ($550) + Dealer Processing fee ($99). Placed a deposit 4 weeks ago on the car and it came in a few days ago. First time I've ever paid MSRP on a car but overall it was a smooth transaction and there was no "required" options installed or any sales pressure for options or extended warranties. Just hope the car lives up to our expectations.
  • cleojazzcleojazz Member Posts: 1
    I'm dumping my ancient Ford Probe and I've been looking up fuel efficient compacts. I can't afford a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid , but maybe a 2004. Are there members who can share what they paid for their vehicle in Canada? Also, (pardon my ignorance) do these vehicles run on an alternate fuel as well as gasoline? Thanks. :)
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Is that the light, light blue color? If it is, I wish I could have gotten it in the LX.
  • mistaxaznmistaxazn Member Posts: 1
    i bought the hch today from stockton honda...

everwhere i called they said not negotiable on price.

modesto said 1k over sticker, bay area dealers said 2k over sticker and stockton let me have it for.. 500 over sticker.. but i somehow managed to get it to only 400 over sticker.

whatever.. its the lesser of all the evils in HCH haggeling in northern california. i bought the basic model hybrid no navi for total cost of 25,200 including tax and fees... final quoted price of the car was 23,1xx.
  • 05hchalex05hchalex Member Posts: 1
    Bought my HCH last march just before prices for gas began to rise. Paid $18,500 and financed through Honda at 0.9%

Now have 40K miles on it and am averaging 52-53mpg.

As for the extra cost for the vehicle, I don't think most buy it to save money, I think it's about the reduction in fossil fuel burning. I put 93 octane in mine every trip. :P
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    They actually let you test drive a hybred? I didn't think they would until you were ready to sign on the dotted line. I tried to test drive an Accord years ago and the stupid dealer said only after I signed the papers. Needless to say he didn't get my business. Real jerk.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    You got a hybred for $18.5 in March? Was that an 05 or 06? Lucky you if an 06. Someone said something earlier about getting an 04 cheaper. There seem to be a lot of used ones out there. Wonder why.
  • daleb2daleb2 Member Posts: 8
    Just signed for a 06 HCH alabaster silver without the NAVI got it for $22.3. The sticker was $22.7 including Destination or $400 under sticker. Last of the 06's It should be coming off the truck early next week. Even got to drive one he had on the lot color on that one was magnetic pearl. another salesman was working on selling that one while I was there.
    I can get an extended warranty 7yr/100k miles $0 deductible for $1045 thinking about taking it any comments?
  • sketchersketcher Member Posts: 8
    Why are you saying miller honda in santa monica is bad deal? I am so close to buying and they are the closest dealer.

anxiously await your reply....
    Just signed for a 06 HCH alabaster silver without the NAVI got it for $22.3. The sticker was $22.7 including Destination or $400 under sticker. [snip]

what city / state?
    Got it in Amherst NY , took some time back and forth with the salesman/sales manager. That was the last one of the 06's. He told me he wouldn't be getting in any 07 Hybrid's until Mid/Late October.
    How much "Dealer Doc" fee did they hit you up for. Out here in CO, the dealer wanted $299 for the doc fee - I refused, so he knocked $299 off sticker and charged me the $299 doc fee.

So all fees include, I paid sticker...
    The Doc fee is $45.00 here in NY think it's a standard fee that all dealers charge. Did you get the extended warranty? I'm thinking about getting it here.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    daleb2,

Nope! There is no standard documentation fee in New York. If you are asked to pay one, it's just what a particular dealer thinks that they can get away with.
    Extendo Warranty.

Bought it - these guys have the best price...

http://hondawarrantyinfo.com/benefits.php
    After saving for downpayment (1 year) and researching online about what to buy, where to buy, and what to look for (2 months), yesterday I drove my new Magnetic Pearl 2006 HCH w/o Navi (no accessories) away from Barber Honda in Bakersfield. Sold exactly at MSRP (22,150 + 595 delivery = $22,725). I feel good about the price ... today, edmunds.com lists the true market value nationwide at $23,320. And hybridcars.com lists it at approx 21,850.... Of course, that's average - I'm sure CA dealers are the ones who push the average above MSRP...

I live in Los Angeles, checked with a few dealers and ALL said you couldn't find an HCH at MSRP in SoCal. They're going for $2000 - $5000 (!!) over MSRP. Day before yesterday, I saw the MP w/o Navi, no accessories, in Santa Monica showroom (a cancelled sale) (best price they could sell it to me for was $24,745 - and salesman said Magnetic Pearl was a color that's hard to get. (huh?)) Delivery was quoted to be anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks (from all dealers)

I called a dealer in Thousand Oaks who said, "Yes, we sell only at MSRP - Um, let's see. It's around 22,400 or something like that." (You don't know what MSRP is for this car?) They had none on the lot, but 4 cars would be arriving 9/5. He didn't know colors or trim (w/ navi or not) He'll put me on the list, but no guarantee of the MP in the shipment. And... all salesmen have an independent list and they don't take deposits. In the end, he said "Trust me."

Based entirely on the two positive reviews in this forum, I called Barber Honda. Magically (magnetically?) they had the car I wanted on the lot. They'd received $100 CC deposit on it which was cancelled just before I called. Salesman gave me the MSRP price with ttl and guaranteed that price. 10 min later, he called saying the buyer had changed his mind, came to the dealership and was filling out papers with another salesman. I put a CC deposit of $100 for a car coming at the end of September.

10 minutes later he calls and says buyer cancelled *again*, (financing wasn't sorted out). I bought it on the phone. Picked it up next day (yesterday) and it was the most pleasant, un-anxiety producing car purchase I've ever made. I drove it home - 100 miles - and it was fabulous. Well worth the trip. I couldn't be more pleased. Now.. off to get that 8-year extended warranty from myhondawarranty.com...

Thanks for all the useful info posted here! :shades:
  • rputtaguntarputtagunta Member Posts: 20
    Same exact thing is happening to me. Anyway, did you buy your car there? I am curious because I walked away and they wouldn't even give 750 off the price of those extras(Paying MSRP for the car anyway). They would do 500 off ( which they do anyway). Please let me know, since I am gonna hear from the dealer anytime today.

Mine is a Regular EX Civic Sedan w/ Navi.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Sketcher, congrats on your new HCH. I also shopped for HCH in LA area, and every dealer in town wanted $3K+. Their rationale is always "Prius is more expensive", which is true. :mad: I have only gone as far out as Riverside/SB county. Perhaps I should go as far as you did to find MSRP deal.
  • hankygirlhankygirl Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up our 06 Magnetic Pearl no Navi this morning at $100 under MSRP.

About a week ago, I emailed +/- 20 dealers within a 100 mile radius, asking how close to Invoice they could come (of course telling them what Invoice was).

I got various replies, ranging from a terribly rude "GOOD LUCK" from Grace Honda in San Bruno to various offers for MSRP on vehicles that were en route. Others told me that the best they could do was $1000 or more over MSRP. Roseville told me that they had the vehicle on the lot, but that the MSRP offer was only good on the Sat./Sun. of Labor Day Weekend. I said, "Sorry. That kind of pressure doesn't motivate me to work with your dealership," and didn't hear back.

On Wednesday I heard from Lodi Honda that they thought they could work a trade with another dealership for the color I wanted, and quoted me the price. Thursday the saleperson called to say he'd done the deal, and Friday he called to say that he had it on his lot. This morning (Saturday) we picked it up. The experience couldn't have been better. There was no smoke and mirrors, no snakiness, no bs...I told the manager that I'd found the warranty he was offering me for $1795 for $800-something online (thanks to some posts here). He reduced his price to $895. I told him I'd see what I could do online and let him know if I wanted it from him. No further pressure from him!

We'll be in the market for an Odyssey within a year, and I'll definitely give Lodi Honda the first stab at my business. They're not local for me (60 miles away), but for a painless buying experience, it's worth the drive.

As for the car, I'm not so sure it's the most comfortable car I'll ever own, the interior door handles feel a bit cheap, and I don't like not being able to see the front end of the car, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE putting my money where my mouth is. On the way home--town and highway--I averaged 46 MPG. I'm one happy HCH owner!!!
    It's worth the trip. Not only was the transaction smooth and the drive nice, but the dealer has been available to answer questions and help me out a couple of weeks after purchase - including expediting my application for HOV sticker. (the salesman himself called the DMV, got the plate #s before they were mailed out and called me with the numbers so I could mail the app that day) Plus, the out the door price he quoted on the phone was to the penny, no surprises, no attempt to sell extended warranty, accessories, etc. Nice and smooooth (in a good way :) ).

(Don't know where you are in LA area, but I left with a friend about 1:30 pm, stopped and had lunch halfway there, and got home about 6:00-ish. It's about an hour and a half drive - and worth $3,000!)
    congratulations! you have the same exact color / model as I do. I also am a little annoyed about not being able to see the front of the car and it's taking awhile to get used to, but boy oh boy do Ilove this car..... so far I've got 324 miles on it and averge 46 mpg - that's city and highway and breakin period.
  • califdudecalifdude Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 06 HCH Magnetic Pearl with navigation from stevens creek honda in San Jose for $26,200 including all taxes and fees.

I am not sure if I overpaid..

Also how do I go about getting the carpool sticker and tax credit?
    Also how do I go about getting the carpool sticker and tax credit?

Your tax credit will be automatic - your accountant will take care of on your tax return ($2100)

But the stickers you got to get moving ASAP. Gov Arnie signed the bill to allow an extension of allotment of stickers from 75,000 to 85,000. But they are going very, very fast. I was tracking the number going out by other people and their sticker numbers (mine is 77,3XX issued 9/21) by calculations of average distribution, they'll be gone my mid-November.

go to http://www.greenhybrid.com/ and see the thread about stickers there. also they have a "real" database about gas mileage - just sign your car up, log every time you fill up / number of miles and there you go.

TIP on stickers: Send a money order for the fee ($8.00) and write a handwritten note asking them to expedite. That's what I did and I got my stickers in 2 weeks. (others have waited 6). Also you MUST have the license plate number on your app, or they will return it. sometimes they ask for registration, too Your dealer can help -- Tell them you need the plate number to expedite your sticker application. Dealers generally have a contact at the DMV... (I got mine over the phone same day a week after purchase).

Good luck! I'm out the door (literally) on my second road trip. Bought my magnetic pearl w/o navi Aug 27th (pd 24K out the door) and am I loving this car!! Getting 49 mph city and higway after 1,000 miles. so far...

(ps I am not affiliated with greenhybrid.com :)
  • califdudecalifdude Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply

Seems like they are stickers are moving a lot faster than I thought.. My dealer told me it would take a month to get the license plates.. ( all crap..)..

I initially thought since I bought my hybrid withing the time frame, I would get a sticker no matter what.. guess I am terribly wrong..
  • orientexpressorientexpress Member Posts: 8
    I just picked up my wife's 2007 Civic Navi Hybrid from Parker JohnStone Honda in Wilsonville OR. We ordered it in August, but it came in this November. The deal we got was about $100 under 2006 MSRP plus mud flaps and all weather floor mats. The actual price was $24200. We live in the bay area in California, and it was worth the trip up to Oregon to get the car (The one-way airline fare was $130 for the 2 of us). One of the modifications that we have done is to replace the pie pan 15" wheels with 16" Civic wheels. They are about the same outside diameter, weight only 4 pounds more, and gas mileage has not been affected. Needless to say we are very pleased.

• doctyphoondoctyphoon Member Posts: 25
    That looks sharp! Out of curiosity,where did you purchase the wheels & tires and at what cost?
    wow! congratulations!! that's a great deal - I understand that XM Radio comes standard on the 2007 (even more savings)... I'm wondering - why would you replace the tires? just curious.
  • orientexpressorientexpress Member Posts: 8
    I bought these wheel and tires from someone that took them off of their car when it was new. The tires have about 800 miles on them. I found them on CraigsList for $400.

I replaced the stock pie pan wheels because they don't compliment the style or shape of the car. These 16" tires are about the same outside diameter of the 15" pie pan wheels, and the gas mileage has stayed at about 44.5 mpg. This wheel and tire combination are 5lbs/wheel heavier. This will give me the inspiration I need to lose 20 pounds!

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The wheels are worth over $400. Don't ya just love Craigslist?
  • danielrdanielr Member Posts: 8
    I had been keeping my eye on the hybrids for a while. I almost bought the HAH a year ago, but decided against it. Last week I was stopping by the local Austin dealer to see what the lead time for ordering was as my daughter was considering a HCH (though strongly leaning to the Camry Hybrid). Magically, they had a hybrid on the lot that had been ordered but turned down due to color. I got to drive it and fell in love. I bought it for myself. Paid MSRP. Nothing else.

I picked it up on Friday and just love it. I think it is one of the better cars I ever owned - independent of the fact that it is a hybrid. I love the solid feel, the looks interior and exterior. I am averaging 40mpg over the weekend. That's about what I expect since I live in a neighborhood with multiple very steep hills.
  • brydgebrydge Member Posts: 6
    Lucky for me, it appears dealers on the east coast are much more willing to deal than those out west. I faxed 34 dealers in Virginia & Maryland with the exact 07 HCH I was planning to purchase for my wife (Magnetic Pearl, No Navigation, add Auto Day/Night Mirror) and asked for their best price. I got 19 responses within 3 days. Prices on the vehicle ranged from $20,690 - $22,420 (including destination, excluding D/N mirror, taxes, tags, etc.) and the mirror installed ranged from $242 - $530. The best price I received ended up being out the door for $22,004 including all fees, taxes, etc. It was also the easiest car buying experience I've ever been a part of. It took organization and leg work upfront to get the dealer info, but once I collected the bids and arranged for pick-up, I wasn't at the dealership for more than 30 minutes.

I used a similar method a few years ago to purchase a Mazda RX-8 and it worked similarly well.
  • suchham1suchham1 Member Posts: 2
    Picked mine up Dec 18 @Raines Honda in S.Charleston, WV. Paid MSRP but got a VERY nice trade ($9k) on my 2000 Accord EX V6-L, leaving me w/ about 15k to pay after all taxes/fees. Kinda hated to say bye to the Accord-it was trouble free-but the time had come to move on. The time involved with the dealer was minimal and no hassle at all. They swapped another dealer for the color I wanted and didn't try to pressure me in any way to buy any add-ons.
    So far, after about 320 miles, the gauge is showing 39+mpg, which I don't think is bad, considering how many hills are in this area. Pearl still has more than half a tank left in her, so I'm guessing I'll get about 700 miles or more on the first tank.
    All in all, this seems like a typical Honda in that it's built well and performs just like it should.
  • charlieohcharlieoh Member Posts: 1
    Picked my 07 hybrid w/navi up 3 weeks ago from honda of concord, ca. I paid 25,900 out the door including taxes and everything else....I dont know if the dealer was lying or what but he said he never sold a hybrid that low before, especially with navigation. I picked mine up with 40 miles on it and on the full tank of gas it came with, my gas lamp turned on at around 550 miles. I commute about 41 miles each way during traffic hours and yet i have to fill up once a week. A total gas saver.