Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Prices Paid

Comments

• joe_fordjoe_ford Member Posts: 2
    My advice is to buy the Tundra over the F-150. I bought a new 05 F150 Crewcab two months ago and put only 2900 miles on it. I just traded it for the Tundra after experiencing problems from the start, e.g. vibration, transmission got stuck in drive, overdrive turns on by itself, shifts hard, rear end shudder, need I go on. :lemon: I lost about $3000 in the deal, dont make the same mistake. Please go read the Problems and Solutions forum here for the F150, vibration is a huge problem.

Ok, back on topic with this board, I paid about $32,000 against an MSRP of about $33,200 for a 2005 double cab, TRD, SR5. Sounds like I could've negoiated better.
  • chuck999chuck999 Member Posts: 38
    Just purchased (last night) an Access Cab 4WD Tundra with TRD package (JBL stereo, all weather package, tow package, fogs, limited slip, captains chairs) for:

List $30,575
    My price: $25,787 - Plus TTL and $100 processing fee

over $2000 BELOW INVOICE ....

DarCars Sliver Spring. Deal was end of month special + rebate. Deal went smoothly, no "extras" - just standard $100 processing fee. Only caveat is that at this price they were not so keen to give me a good price on trade in - so I'll have to sell myself.

Also note that they only have a very small number in stock, I was VERY lucky to get the TRD I wanted ....

Very very happy with this truck and with this deal - best deal I've ever negotiated on any car I've bought ...
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    I was wondering if the rebate for $1500 off V8 Tundra DC that is supposed to end this Monday (5/4) will get extended? Do rebates usually get extended or offered again? I guess I need to know if I should pull the trigger on a deal or If I wait a few more weeks it will still be there.
  • tripptripp Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new Tundra X-SP Double Cab on saturday (4-30).
    List $32,059
    Out the Door $27,250

I had been looking all over to find a dealer that had one on the lot so I didnt have to wait a week or more.
  • idahoronidahoron Member Posts: 18
    What is a Tundra X-SP? Ron
  • fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    I noticed that there is a $2500 rebate on this model. I was wondering what sort of deal I could expect. The selection of that model was very small. It must not be to popular. Might get a better deal on the Tundra than the Tacoma.
    fred
  • tripptripp Member Posts: 3
    Its a double cab tundra with a sports package. That includes leather, chrome step boards, skid plate, chrome wheels, and X-SP badges. Its nice and sporty if you are willing to give up 4x4.
  • a10acboya10acboy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Tundra on 4/30/05. MSRP was $33,600, plus $600 for the usual song and dance wax and seal job they do. I bought it without a trade, and after rebates, incentives, etc., my pre-tax price was $27,500. Tax, title and other fees brought it back up to $29,500. I felt pretty good about this deal. This a couple of grand below Edmunds published invoice. :) :shades:
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    I am about to make a deal on a '05' Tundra Double Cab 4x2 with the following options:

All Weather Pkg
    Carpet Mats
    JBL AM/FM/Cass/CD w/8 Speakers
    TRD Off Road Package
    Overhead Console w/Compass & Outside Temp
    Power Moonroof w/Tilt & Slide
    Limited Slip Differential
    Daytime Running Lights
    Privacy Glass
    Challenger Step Boards
    Upgraded Alarm System
    Moonroof wind deflector

MSRP $30,750
    After TT&L and fees it 's right under $30K. My tax is 4%.

What do the experts think, good deal or can I do better? Thanks in advance for the info. :)
  • fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    Test Drove Today, Regular cab V8. Sticker was $20,480. Deal was $19500 minus $2500 rebate. I was hoping for better but I didn't like the color and I want to look around some more before I decide. That V8 really had some torque. I currently drive a 4 cylinder protege. Gas mileage kinds of scare's me on the v8. It was 16 city and 18 highway. Options were AC, all weather package, tilt wheel and full wheel covers. Is this a good deal? What should I expect to pay? I would appreciate some input. Thankyou
    Fred
  • veliger1veliger1 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a Tundra and hoped to buy a V6 4X4 only to find out that option isn't available unless you go back to 2003. The new 4X4 has the V8, great engine but not so great gas mileage. Anyone have experience with the 4X2 in snow or slippery conditions? Does the traction control and limited slip differential make a big difference?

Too bad the new 4.0L V6 isn't an option with 4X4...
    I guess there just aren't many people buying Toyota Tundra's out there. I've had my post up since Friday and no reply. What's the deal? :confuse:
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    You would need to tell us what the TTL + other fees are. We don't know where you live or what those fees are. If you can provide a pre-tax, etc price, then it would be much easier to gauge.
    I did a little follow up on some assumptions. The closest I could come to your MSRP price on Edmunds was 30175. I may not have priced all the features that your truck has, so that could explain why I'm off. Anyway, with an MSRP of 30175, Edmunds says the TMV is 28094. But there's a rebate of 1500, so you real price should be in the neighborhood of 28094-1500, or 26594. Then add in your taxes, etc. Since your MSRP was a 575 higher, your pre tax price should have been in the neighborhood of 26594+575, or 27169, plus TTL.

All that said, in this area (DC), I can get Tundras at MSRP of 30750 for 26100 (which includes all the rebates I assume) with little effort, but this area is so competitive. I'm sure I could easily shave another 300-500 off that and maybe even much more. Who knows?
    jhs70-
    Here are the details:

All Weather Pkg
    Carpet Mats
    TRD Off Road Package
    Overhead Console w/Compass & Outside Temp
    Power Moonroof w/Tilt & Slide
    Daytime Running Lights
    Privacy Glass
    Challenger Step Boards
    Upgraded Alarm System
    Moonroof wind deflector

Invoice cost according to NADA website the invoice cost with these options is $26,864. (not including the free security system $369)
    Dealer's best offer is $27,661 before TT&L and a ridiculous $499 doc fee. :mad:

Out the door with all TT&L and the doc fee included comes to $29,338.

Also dealer said they will install a Tundra remote security system for free. ($369)

What do yall think, is this a good/fair deal?
  • muskles33muskles33 Member Posts: 7
    Be a man and get a 4X4. People with 4x2 trucks don't make sense. They shouldn't even be made!
    Anyone here know what the finance incentives are for this month? I have been told two different things 0% and 1.9% both for 60 months. Are they differnt in different regions? Thanks.
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    People with 4x2 trucks don't make sense. They shouldn't even be made. Actually I believe that the chromosomes have to to do with how they are made. And the person doesn't have a lot of control over it.

But if you can control your birthright and see fit to get a positraction or limited slip think what you can do for the eco system in savings of greenhouse gases, in wasted fuel and pollution. Think about saving our planet. :sick:
  • newtundra809newtundra809 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2005 Tundra Limited V8 4X2 Access cab, sticker was 30,172. Out the door 24,795. About the 4x4 over 4X2, if you have no need for a 4X4, why would you buy it? I use my truck for the trips to Home Depot, Lowes, Etc.. I don't go 4wheelin, and I don't have any snow in my state ;) . So me buying a 4x4 would be a waste of 3-4 grand. My last Toyota was a 4X4, but I lived in the northeast and it did come in handy during snow storms, maybe twice a year :( .

My one gripe with my new Tundra is the radio/speakers, it's supposed to be JBL, but it sounds kinda crappy. I just had a LineX bed liner spayed in, looks great!!
  • ufgatorpaufgatorpa Member Posts: 6
    Can you provide anymore details/cost of your deal (from window sticker, ie: 20in wheels,DVD,etc)? What fees and dealer extras were in the OTD price?

Thanks,

Rob
  • damurphdamurph Member Posts: 10
    I would assume this statement was made in jest. Either that or by a person that measures his manhood by his drivetrain.

I have grown up in a mostly rural area most of my life. I've been driving for over 26 years and can only recall wanting the use of 4-wheel drive on about three occasions. Of those three I slugged through one of them anyway, got myself un-stuck in another and had to be towed out of the third. If I had had 4-wheel drive, I would have had to be towed out of the third anyway.

Most pick-up truck owners will never really need 4-wheel drive. 4X4 were really meant for poor traction situations and are best suited for unprepared driving surfaces like construction sites, farms and other off road adventures. Situations most truck owners never encounter. Tough winters may be an exception.

I'll just keep my 4X2's on the roads and enjoy the lower maintenance and fuel costs. I guess I may suffer in the resale market because of the people who think they just have to have 4X4's, but I usually drive them forever anyway.
  • damurphdamurph Member Posts: 10
    Is there anybody near Kansas City that can share their buying experience. I am shopping for a '05 Tundra Double Cab 4X2 SR5. I am considering the Titan, Sierra and Silverado extended cabs as well.

I look forward to hearing from anybody in the area that could give some feedback about dealers, dealings and deals they've encountered.

Thanks
  • thadwthadw Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any recent experience in buying in the Austin/San Antonio Area? Any thoughts on good internet sales folks?

Thad
  • thadwthadw Member Posts: 3
    All the Tundras that I'm looking at have "Port Options" installed that aren't included in the TMV calculations by Edmunds. Any one have any idea how to value these? Some seem reasonable (e.g. skid plates on a 4WD) others nutty ("extra mile package") ... thoughts?

Thad
  • tundertunder Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2005 Tundra X-cab, V8, automatic, msrp: $26,544.00 for $19,488 plus TTL at Cerritos, CA. Doc fee $45.00. I am very happy with the truck. :P
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    Purchased my Tundra recently, $500 over invoice. Invoice+TDA+$500 - $1250 rebate.
    I am surprised that there is no locking gas door. I don't really like that feature, anyone replace their gas cap with a locking one?
  • frugal1frugal1 Member Posts: 1
    Tunder-- :surprise:

If you don't mind me asking, did you have a trade-in? and what was your negotiating strategy?

Nice deal bye the way.
  • crittercanyoncrittercanyon Member Posts: 1
    I went to Champion Toyota and walked out after an hour waiting for bozo sales guy who doesn't know his product. Sales process for $30-40k sales is horrible. I am a buyer. Are there any sales people who know their product? What on earth do they do while waiting for buyers to show up? One thing they don't do is read up on their products. This happened three moths ago. I want to get rid of my 2001 GMC C3 for a Fully equipped Tundra double cab 4x4 with leather split bench plus...

Just got back tonight from Classic Toyota in Round Rock, TX. The salesguy/lot-runner was honest in saying he didn't know much about the Tundra because he had only worked there six weeks. Took me in to a smiley faced guy who was to close the deal since he had 4 years experience over the young lot-runner. I have now more questions than answers. Simple questions they do not have answers.

Who has good telephone sales nationwide of Toyotas? By "good" I mean knows the product and the different configurations. I want to know what I am buying before I buy.
    Why is the car business have such low rent sales, including Toyota

I have really the same question as you.
  • tundertunder Member Posts: 6
    No Negotiation. Cerritos of Toyota in California have an advertisement 2005 tundra with the MSRP of $26,544 for $19,488. No pressure, you can pay the whole thing or finance. I have no trade in. Out the door price was $21,375...Today is their last day due to mfr's rebate of $2,500 (May 31, 2995). :D
  • thedude007thedude007 Member Posts: 2
    sounds like your purchasing your tundra in the gulf states distributorship... let me say as a sales person... the extra mile package isn't worth all that money... it's a good thing to have, but it's invoice is probably double what the msrp is. here in southeast toyota we have something called toyoguard plus protection for 699 but the invoice is like 400. that's the thing with edmunds, they don't know everything. for example, here in the southeast region, on a limited tundra if you want the leather package from the factory, it will come with woodgrain trim and msrp is around $1800... but edmunds will tell you the msrp is around $1100... so the information is a good guide, but i wouldn't stake my life on it.
  • bbrraaapppbbrraaappp Member Posts: 1
    is dealer invoice - 1500 cash back a good deal ?
  • kdw1kdw1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a Tundra X-SP myself and wanted to ask where you purchased?

Also tried using the Edmunds site to calculate pricing etc. with the X-SP package but could not locate the X-SP package... Help anyone??
  • kdw1kdw1 Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me what dealer you got your X-SP from? Thanks!
  • motomanjdmotomanjd Member Posts: 4
    I've been looking at a 2005 Tundra V-8 Access Cab also. $26,544.00 is the sticker and best I've been able to get them to is $22,000.00 even out the door. I'm still not sure I'm going to get a Tundra yet. Still may go for something smaller. I looked at a 2005 Tacoma 4 Cyl. Auto Access cab SR-5 package 2 and it was $21,000.00 OTD. I would like to have something a little smaller and a little better on fuel but man only $1,000.00 difference between the two.
  • motomanjdmotomanjd Member Posts: 4
    Bought the Tundra listed above yesterday. E-mailed the dealer back Friday night and told him what Toyota of Cerritos was selling it for. We finally worked it out to $21,496.45 OTD. I was happy with that and not having to drive into the L.A. area to buy the truck. Overall very pleased with Toyota of Oxnard. Dealt mainly with the salesman online and they were very easy to work with. No pressure or hassles. Great info off of Edwards.com and these forums really helped out. I got the truck I wanted with more options and less money than I ever thought I would.

Thanks

Jim
  • awilks23awilks23 Member Posts: 5
    I am also looking at the Tundra X-SP. It is currently listed here at the Mall of Georgia's dealership for $32,000. Can anyone give me input on what the max I should pay? With Edmund's info, I cannot seem to get a clear view of what the invoice price would be (X-SP package). Thank you for any help you can provide!!
    I would really like to be able to go to the dealership and just order one specifically the way I want it. But I am not able to determine the specific packages offered...
  • awilks23awilks23 Member Posts: 5
    Tripp,
    When you say out the door, is that including TTL? Also, out of curiosity, what dealership did you buy from... I really want one!!!
  • dgh11dgh11 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the posts- I’ve been researching here for 6 months and finally found the deal.

2005 Tundra double cab 4 x 2 silver with charcoal

limited slip, JBL audio w 8 speakers, 17" alloy wheels, homelink, overfenders, keyless entry,mats

MSRP $28,892
    sales price $23,150 out the door $25,500

Claremont Toyota (southern California) ad car ($22,977 two only). I got there Friday around noon and drove it, told the salesman I wanted it and sat down to do the paperwork. Another salesman comes over and asks to see the keys because one of his customers wants to see it. I reluctantly agree and hand them over. They come back 5 minutes later and give me back the keys. No problem, right? Then the sales manager comes over and says they have sold the truck already to this other guy. Incredulous, I say ok, give me another one at the same price and I’ll be happy. He says no, we can't do it but I’ll sell you one for $900 more with LoJack. I don't want it and tell him I’ll be glad to pay $200 more than the ad truck to get another truck with the same package- it's a loss leader and I know I’m getting a great deal. Plus I’ve got to drive 65 miles home on a Friday afternoon in LA traffic. He says no and comes back with $25,800 out the door. I say $25,500 out the door. He won't budge. I say fine and walk.

In the parking lot I leave messages on the GM and General sales manager’s voice mail describing the incident and my disappointment in the way I was treated. I tell them they have 2 days to get back to me to resolve it or I post my experience on Edmunds and a couple of other websites that buyers check.

Not 5 minutes after I get home I get a call from the GSM apologizing for my troubles and what time would I like to come in to pick up the truck at my offer price. Stand up guy.

Picked it up on Saturday without any hitches. Everybody was courteous and professional. I got to hand it to them- they made it right and I got exactly what I wanted for what I wanted to pay.
  • diablo_dudediablo_dude Member Posts: 7
    Tundra SR5 4x4
    X-SP Sport Package 2
    All Weather Guard Package Includes:
    Overhead console with Compass, and
    Performance Dual Exhaust
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    Towing Package w/ClassIV Hitch,130 Amp
    Rear DVD Entertainment System w/2
    Sticker $38,764

For $33,608 not including tax, etc.

Is this a good deal?
    I copied and pasted the options so it didn't paste correctly so here's what the options look like

Tundra SR5 4x4
    X-SP Sport Package 2
    All Weather Guard Package
    Overhead console with Compass
    Performance Dual Exhaust
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    Towing Package w/ClassIV Hitch,130 Amp
    Rear DVD Entertainment System w/2
    Sticker $38,764

For $33,608 not including tax, etc.

Is this a good deal?
  • edwardtxedwardtx Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into getting a 05 Tundra 4x2 SR5 Texas Edition with 20" wheels. The MSRP on this truck is $29,500. I've been reading alot of posts lately on how much people are paying, seems like its around $5K less than MSRP, the thing is that I'm looking at a special lease program with Money Factor of .00001 (Basicallly 0%) for 36 months. Would $5K off MSRP be too aggressive with the special lease? Plus I'm putting $6K - $8K down.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The amount off of MSRP will vary depending on the particular truck. I would suggest that you make an offer based on invoice for the truck. If it is a reputable dealership, they should not hesitate to show you the factory invoice. Keep in mind also that with the special leases from Toyota, you do not get the rebates in addition to the special lease factor.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • edwardtxedwardtx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advise toyotaken. I'll see what they can do for me this evening, they told me that it would be around $28K plus TTL for this truck with MSRP of $29500. Sounds like I can make them do better than the $28K.
  • marie5marie5 Member Posts: 4
    I'm lucky enough to have cash at the moment, and am looking at a Tundra double cab 4x2 with a bunch of options, some of which I wanted, and some I would not pay extra for. It's white, and I'm not sure about that, but I guess it's good as any. I wonder why they chose that particular truck to show me. It's got 17" fancy wheels which I do not want, and bucket seats I would want them to trade for a bench seat. They showed me a price of $31-something. Salesman said they're the highest-volume dealer in Dallas TX.

Trade-in - I've got a '99 Chevy Suburban that another dealer offered me $6K trade-in for (was looking at a used truck).

I kinda want 4WD, but maybe I don't really need it (just don't like the feeling of getting stuck). This truck has the Limited Slip Differential.

Should I try to trade-in the Suburban, or what should I offer, and then what should I expect for a final deal? I've never bought a new car before.

:confuse:

thanks!
  • marie5marie5 Member Posts: 4
    I mean - how much better price might I expect since I'm paying cash, or does that make much difference to a dealer?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Paying Cash doesn't really affect the pricing for a vehicle. Actually, they lose some revenue from handling the financing.

Ken
    Who knows why they showed you the truck they did. Their intentions could have been honorable, and then again, maybe not. The truck they were offering may have been their first attempt to "show you" something, or it may be the truck no one wants. And since you don't know what you want, they may be thinking they could unload it on you.

SO, my first bit of advice as a new buyer, would be to figure out what is, and what isn't, important to you in a truck. (You MUST have a truck, right?) Write down what you MUST have, and then some other things you might like to have, but could do without. All of this has to fit within your budget. NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF THAT. Do not be suckered into buying more than you want or need. NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Ok, now that you have that list, research the heck out of the truck here on Edmunds, other "car" sites, and of course, Toyota.com. In fact, Toyota.com has a place on their web page where you can actually "build" your own vehicle to get an idea of what it'll cost. Add and subtract features until you land where you want to land. At that point you can either special order it with your dealer, or try to find something similar in a dealer's inventory close to you. Again, the website can help you through that.

You can always "build" the truck you want, then take it to that dealer to see whether he has it (or something close) in stock.

Pricing. You will need to get a real good idea on what the invoice is for the base truck you want, plus all the features/options you've added (or found on a truck the dealer has in stock). Research Edmunds to find out what rebates are available in your area.

OK, once you find a truck that fits YOUR needs, you're ready to make an offer. The approach you take depends on what you're comfortable with. If the market you are in seems to be pretty competitive, consider this formula: total invoice price - rebates + $300 profit. Or give them more/less profit if you like. (Invoice includes the destination charge, but does not include taxes and doc fees. Beware the doc fees. Don't pay more than a couple of hundred for those. They may like your offer or counter it. Only you can decide how much or how little you want to pay. But ALWAYS REMEMBER, you have two feet with which to walk out on if you don't fully like what you're hearing. NEVER succumb to pressure. It's YOUR money. OR you can tell them you'll take the info home, re-work the numbers and get back to them. They sure don't like to hear that, because they think you'll never return, and maybe you won't, but maybe you will. You're driving this bus, not them.

Bottom line, research, know what you want/need, you what you're willing to pay, and stick to your horses. Never succumb to pressure.

Lastly, when you hit the finance office, don't buy anything you don't want or need there as well. And that includes the finance rate. You may want to get yourself approved at your bank or credit union BEFORE you go to the dealer. That way you might save yourself time and headaches. Do not ever buy rust proofing or fabric protection or paint sealant. If they offer something you think you might want, approach it as you would any other thing -- ask for time to think about it. But again, as far as many car dealers are concerned, they want to RUSH you through the process. DO NOT let them rush you into ANYTHING.

Be respectful, and have fun. It can be fun. This has always been my approach and I've been pretty successful I must say. Above all, I am honest and respectful. If I say I'll return, I will. And I leave when I feel uncomfortable.

I hope this helps.

PS, As for the trade in, research what it's worth both as a "trade in" and as a "private party sale" (you should sell it yourself if you are willing and able -- you'll get much more for it). You can use Edmunds, Kelly blue book, and nada to name a few to get an idea of its value. The numbers between these sources will vary, but at least you will get an idea of what it's worth ballpark.
  • nebmedmannebmedman Member Posts: 3
    I "tried" to buy a tundra from riverside Toyota in tulsa in May. The lady trying to sell it, a very nice, professional, had to run back and forth visitng with the"managers " located on an elevated platform, their offer for my trade was absurd and their bargaining was nil, the so called"managers" were either ignorant, inexperienced, or ill informed,they could not do basic bargaining for me to purchase. A really sour event.
  • mreaganmreagan Member Posts: 2
    my husband and i got the Tundra double cab 4x4 today w/ about $1000 dollars worth of extra features. I felt really uncomfortable during the transaction but i wasnt doing the signing and before i knew it we paid 37,000 out the door.
    Can I ask what the sticker price was? I have been looking and with the options I wanted the sticker was almost 40k and even more if I had included everything I wanted.