Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Sounding Exhaust System

darealpuckdarealpuck Member Posts: 6
Upon the acquisition of my new silverado, which
will be as soon as the loan is approved, I will get
a new exhaust system installed. I have been
hearing good things about the borla cat back
system, but also know from experience that the
flowmasters sound darn good. I want the exhaust
note very noticeable, but not completely deafening
inside the cab. I need some feedback on this
subject.........oh yeah, it's the 5.3L
Tagged:

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Is what I have on my '96 GMC with the 5.7L. Nice mellow rumble with good performance improvement. Stay away from the 2 1/2 inch outlets, though. They tend to get really loud under load.

Jim
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    I don't know, guys. Maybe I'm just too old, but the best sounding exhaust system is one that doesn't make any sounds at all.
    Rich
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    I like the sound of the stock exhaust. All that noise is just stupid (that's just my opinion, forgive me). I would like the performance improvement though, anyone know of a good cat-back system with minimal noise?? Thanks...
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I just installed a Gibson cat back with duals out there rear and its not to loud but you know its there, also installed K&N fipk along with superchip.My truck now shifts a lot better breathes easier and exhausts very nicely,I can even chirp the tires going from 1st to 2nd with the auto trans shifts at close to 50 mph at wot.If you would like to hear wave files on any exhaust flowmasters has them on there site so does gibson and dynomax. Good Luck.
    did you notice any loss of torque at lower RPM? Many claim this when going to a cat-back system. Also, do you think you picked up any mileage improvements?? Ordered a airaid intake (K&N doesn't have the Gen II available for the 5.3L yet, or so I'm told) and the Granitelli (sp?) MAF sensor. Have heard a lot of good about these. Probably get cat-back after I finish paying for these others. Just put 285's on it and it looks real good. Very happy with it, but have to find someone to recalibate the speedo. Hopefully the dealer can do it...
    Haven't noticed any low end tourque loss,truck does rev up quick but it also takes off.I think you'll really like the airraid setup its very similiar to the K&N you'll like the sound when you give it some gas.But before you install make sure you'll pass inspection with it that is why I went with K&N its 50 state smog legal,I'm not sure about the airraid.I'd like to change my tires too but I gotta give my credit card a breather its smoking from all the money I've been spending.Have you looked into any kind of chip That is by far the best investmant I've made as far as a mod to truck and then I would say the air intake,exhaust is basically just for sound and a little performance.You could get away with just changing your muffler if you are looking for a deep sound for a lot less than cat back.Go with the Superchip if you go with any at all.Check out www.F150 online.com .I know you have a chevy but there's a lot of good info on chips,air intakes,exhausts,all sorts of stuff.
    credit card is screaming too. Unfortuantly the dealer couldn't reprogram the speedo for my new tires. Trying to find a hypertech or something to recalibrate it myself. Airaid says it's smog legal so I'm taking there word for it. Haven't looked at a chip yet, hopefully the hypertech can do all that also, if I can ever find one...
    Well Good Luck and keep me posted as to how you make out.
    one guy said the flowmaster didn't give him any better mileage/performance. Gibson claims big increases. I know some of it's hype, but what's your experience with them? I'm having 2nd thoughts on a cat-back. I like the Gibson, but my main motivation is increased mileage and horsepower. BTW, found a hypertech after searching most of the day. It supposedly can change many of the computer functions (performance, tire sizes, top speed limiter, etc.) Take care...
  • darealpuckdarealpuck Member Posts: 6
    You guys throw some links at me so I can check those mods out. (Gibson, airraid, hypertech)
  • page62page62 Member Posts: 30
  • darealpuckdarealpuck Member Posts: 6
    I know glass packs are illegal for the street, but i'm putting duals on my Z71 and i'm using them. I love the sound of glasspacks on the 5.3L but just wonder how they improve performance. I know that mufflers in general are not going to make a big increase in power no matter what type you get, but does anyone know what type of hp gains dual glasspacks would give? I'm just cutting out the muffler (dual inlet) and running a glasspack off of each cat to the rear with chrome tips.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    I guess it may depend on where you are from. Glass packs are perfectly legal in the surrounding 4 Midwest states from Kansas.

I just didn't want that much interior resonance or I would have used them on my 99 Silverado.
  • mrpenguin20mrpenguin20 Member Posts: 13
    Could someone please enlighten me? I was wondering about the difference between normal
    hi-flow exhaust and cat-back exhaust.
    thanks-
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I'm not sure what you mean by "normal hi-flow exhaust", but the only legal way to add a performance exhaust is to add a cat-back exhaust (unless your car is old enough not to have a catalytic converter). Cat-back is short for catalytic-converter back. Meaning you replace the muffler(s) and tail pipe with freer flowing versions, but the catalytic converter(s) stay on. There are hi-flow catalytic converters that you can buy, but it's illegal to replace any catalytic converter unless it's shown to be defective.
    If you live in an area where they never inspect your car for emissions tampering you can probably get away with changing the catalytic converters to hi-flow versions. Don't just replace them with a pipe, though. Your car won't run right and your performance will drop.
    with Walker mufflers? I have a Y2K Silverado 5.3L and wanted to upgrade the exhaust, but didn't want to spend a arm and leg. Gibson, Flowmaster, Borla's are fairly expensive (as much as $600), but was wondering if these Walker mufflers are comparable...
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Dual 40 Series Flowmasters
  • mainebowtiemainebowtie Member Posts: 5
    I just installed a Borla split rear system on my y2k Silverado reg cab short bed 4x4. 5.3 engine. It was a fairly easy install and looks good, but, it's more quiet than I expected. Unless you're stepping on it with the rear slider open, it's barely noticeable. Are the Gibson and flowmaster systems comparable in sound?

Ray B
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.