Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pickups that women can drive

graphixchicgraphixchic Member Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Pickups are all hard plastic and seats way up high
so you can't even reach the pedals and sitting on
them makes your butt feel 'like a rock'. The radios
look like 'Lost in Space' rejects and they have so
many useless buttons and features it would take me
36k/36mo just to read the manual. The colors are
just plain old puke ugly and you have to get a
crane to get in the new ones.Why can't they make
one for us gal's instead of just for you cowpokes,
oilers and rustlers?????

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    them Dodge trucks...Ever checked out a Tundra? or Silverado LT? Not too bad.
  • page62page62 Member Posts: 30
    You must have been looking at a Chevy or a Tundra. The Ford F150 has a much cleaner layout, the seats are softer, and the color is great (chestnut and gold). Just ask my wife. I hardly ever get a chance to drive it.

Oh, and buy some step rails for your new Ford pickup. It'll allow you to make a graceful entry and exit while wearing a skirt.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    the Plymouth Howler - V8 pick-up version of the Prowler (no I am not kidding).

Might still fail the puke colour scheme test but otherwise that is surely a 'chickmobile'.

Of course it will probably attract all of us cowpokes, oilers and rustlers - nut hey, you can't have everything.
  • chevyck1chevyck1 Member Posts: 37
    I'm a guy, and I even get tired driving my truck around. I hardly ever use it, but once every six months I'll drive it on my 30mile one way commute to work and I get home just exhausted, not in my car though. It's a 99 Chevy 4x4 ext-cab. Funny thing is, it has a very comfortable ride, maybe it's just that it gets me sleepy? If you really need a truck, do you need 4x4? A 4x2 would be much lower, therefore, easier to get in. Think about getting a truck real hard, especially with gas gettin closer to 2 bucks a gallon, my truck only gets 15mpg! I'm lucky if I even start it up once a month or so.
  • jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    I've seen many women driving a smaller pickup without any problems. These include the S-10, Ranger, Toyota, and Nissan. The compact pickups usually have smaller areas around the driver so everything should be easier to reach.

The new F-150 also has pedals that adjust to make it easier for a smaller person to reach the pedals without eating the steering wheel (and the airbag).

I disagree about the complicated controls on pickups. From what I've seen, most pickups have simpler controls than cars. The reason given is that the controls in pickups are designed to be used while wearing work gloves. In any case, most pickups don't have lots of tiny buttons or other complicated controls.

Also, most trucks are available at several trim levels (just like cars). The interior of most of the upscale trimlines is quite nice - my 2000 Silverado LT is a very pleasant. I like the color, the controls are easy to reach and understand, and the seats are VERY comfortable.
  • edharri3edharri3 Member Posts: 35
    why don't they offer more pickups in shades of pink, with built in makeup tables and maybe color coordinated oputfits and handbags...
    these are functional vehicles built for people who use them for their intended purpose. How about you go check out something cute, like a beetle, neon, RAV4, cars that cater to people who fuss about such frivolities as interior color and cushy seats.
    Pickups sit high because they must carry heavy loads and some were designed to go offroad. Trucks are not built for men. They are built for function.
  • graphixchicgraphixchic Member Posts: 15
    obyone-havent checked,Yes liked it, No
    page62-Those F-150's are BIG
    andy_jordan-I sure would like to see one
    chevyck1-If they made one for my size 7 frame
    jerobbins-Oooh,a F-150 has adjustable pedals?
    edharri3-I never thought a man would hanker for a pink shade pickup
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    My beautiful bride of 41 years is a size six with little size seven shoes (she is 5'7"). She can drive anything. Her secret, just drive and don't whine. She currently drives a 5 speed, and if she had to double clutch, she would learn how as well. That's why I'm such a lucky guy. All vehicles cannot please all people. Find one that is comfortable and meets your individual needs. Then drive it without whining.

Bookitty
    Funny I always seem to be telling men the same thing, they need to "drive without whining".
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    In full size trucks all the time....even ones with lift kits...and they all look pretty damn happy.
    My wife - 5 foot tall...loves my 2500 LT Chevy...she always finds some reason to take it instead of the stang.

What's the problem here??

- Tim
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You wry temptress!
  • edharri3edharri3 Member Posts: 35
    hanker for pink. im kinda makin fun of you but never mind,
    mgdvhman, how does she reach the pedals I can't even get the seat close enough except if I sit on the edge. Whats her secret?
    she sits all the way back in the seat...seat all the way up almost....never really looked to see if her feet are flat or tippee toes on pedals??

I sit all the way back and feet crooked.....2 position memory at it's best is used here..
    ahhhhhh

- Tim
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    6 way power seats should put that seat anywhere you want. Steering wheels are adjustable. They make fine looking entry bars or steps. My 5'2" daughter drives my dodge 4X4. At 17 years old she has a little difficulty judging the the corners for parking and backing into the garage but that is an experience thing. As far as the dash goes, you just get used to it like any car. Make sure you try the power seat insead of the standard one that just slides back and forth. Getting comfortable at your size- it can be done. Your salesperson sure must not be busting thier chops trying.
    Since most are leather I never ask for a model with power seats, I like that better than pedals that move, that sounds scary if it starts moving or something while your driving.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    I seen probably the best looking truck I ever laid my eyes on the other day. 2000 Ram 4x4, Quad Cab Sport. The owner had lifted it (as if it needed it), put 35 inch mudders on it. It was decked with lots of cool aftermarkets. I have swayed my own decision about buying a Dodge, but still think they are a really good looking truck.

I am interested to see what goes under the hood as far as DC's new engine lineup they are talking about in 2002.
  • jescopjescop Member Posts: 33
    My wife is only 5'1" and she loves her astrovan.
    She can see over traffic with it. She always wanted a RX7, but after seeing my truck she mentioned maybe she should drive it to keep it nice!(I work construction)
    In short, she no longer wants a car...Only like bigger trucks. Astrovan isn't as big as my truck,
    but its close.
    My sugestion..... Silverado!!
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    But now she has eyes on my new F250 Crew Cab 4x4, we parked next to a Chevy Suburban, and it looked like a VW Beetle. If you think an F150 is huge, then an F250 would seem like a Semi. You difinately need to try a truck with a power seat. I see women driving trucks everyday, but I'll tell you one thing once you go to a truck you will never be happy with a car again....Happy Truckin.....
  • page62page62 Member Posts: 30
    Don't you get it? Big is the whole point!

I'm not sure where you live (Toyotaville?) but down here in South Texas, the F150 is your basic transportation. And I see lots of 5'0" women driving Lincoln Navigators 'round these parts.

So buy yourself an F150 SuperCrew with adjustable pedals and power seats . . . and get on with it! Don't worry, the Americans make a decent vehicle nowadays (and I've owned a Toyota and a Datsun, so I know what I'm talking about.)

If you're going to worry about the pedals moving on your own, may I suggest public transportation.
    I've had several 4X4 trucks that short gals tried to drive. The problem is, that they strike their heads on the nerf bars and become disoriented. A friend of mine was married to a lovely Chinese girl. She left him, and he too became disoriented.

Bookitty
    They come out of the clubs, weaving and wobbling and they strike their little tiny heads on the nerf bars and become disoriented. :-)
    If you are posting @ 04:42 AM, you must have been coming out of a club, or staying awake trying to think of a appropriate resonse.

Bookitty
    If you are posting @ 04:42 AM, you must have been
    coming out of a club, or staying awake trying to
    think of a appropriate response.

Bookitty
    Wouldn't want those wobbling guys driving in that condition...best thing that could happen at that time is to let them sleep it off under there rig. Probably the biggest thrill of the night for their girlfriends.....they get to drive the big beast home...without his whinning.
    .....Women can drive??...I didn't know that..

Ever since we let them out of the house...gave them shoes,the right to vote,and a drivers license....this world just ain't been the same..

geeeezz

LOL

hehehheeeehehehehehehe

- Tim
    Hey guys and girls, how about helping out a student working on a doctoral dissertation by participating in a painless survey. Go to topic 1693. Thanks.

Bookitty
  • icemaniceman Member Posts: 21
    I'm 5'11" and over 200 lbs. Around here, 90% of the women are taller and heavier than myself. They need to drive pickups just to handle the load.
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    You must be from the "Vikingland" where men are men and women are bigger..........:0)
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Uh oh! You done did it now....:)!
    Wuh??
    Wuh??

Lil' Old me??

- Tim
  • chered1chered1 Member Posts: 1
    The lady down the road just bought a new F-350 CREW cab to pull her 25ft horse trailer. And she'll probably drive it better than a lot of men.
    And most of the women are very cap....... Never mind. That quwstion must have been a jike and I bit....darn
    Ed
    Or did you hit your tiny little horn toad heads on the nerf bars again and knock yourselves out and woke up underneath your trucks again all muddy and wet. Your gonna get a awful spanking when you get home with your clothes all stained up and your boots all scruffy. No wonder you dont think women can drive you are not awake when they go pick up yourselves and toss you in the beds to take home. :-)
    ...But Edmunds wouldn't like it.

GRRRRR

- Tim
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    This could get darn kinky with the spanking and tossing guys in the bed and all.
    graphixchic is a fraud!!!

In another place in Edmunds she was expounding the merits of the new beetle, now pick ups. Now if that group isn't mutually exclusive I don't know what is.

So come on graphixchic, which is it, the beetle or a manly truck?

:-)
    Maybe she needs a Pickupum Truck to haul that little beetle around in. But then again maybe she likes boys that are only knee high to a grasshopper that drives there Daddy's Trucks. Either way we need a more constructive veiw from her if she wants help with a pickup, if the 4x4 are too high, she should try the Southwest, maybe find a lowrider.......
  • soundtrackersoundtracker Member Posts: 2
    There are a lot of models coming out that have individual adjustable bucketseats, why not try that for the smaller sex?
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Andy,

Good point! Now answer me one question.......:

What were YOU doing in the Beetle topic?

LOL!! Are you a fraud as well? LOL! Are the engines still in the back? I'm sure you could tell us!! HAHAHAH
    section AND the beetle section??

I don't know ace.....we are putting you under watch for 48 hours....

- Tim
    Andy to help you out of your jam (and it does look like you are in a pickle), when I was a little girl I always wished for a lady bug beetle and even though I never got one it always stayed with me. Now can you say the same thing to explain your behavior?? :-)

I guess I like the Ford 4 door pickup the best but none of the dealers seem to have them in stock, they must be selling very good. Does anyone know about them I really would like to get more information on them.

And as for the spanking and throwing in the bed, you all ought to take a time out for such bad thoughts going through your nerf bar banged up heads. I know if I say anything more it'll hurt something awful so I'll just quit now before that happens.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Just go to http://www.carpoint.com

You can research all the trucks there, including pictures, road tests, safety info, capacities, dimensions, price etc.

Someone said you can adjust the pedals on the F150. That's cool if true. Do you need this much truck?

What uses do you have in mind for it? Choosing a bigger truck is either done for sake of vanity, or because you need the capacity. Either reason is valid. What is it for you?

All of todays trucks are very good. The different sizes and configurations make them specialized. Some better suited than others for a particular task. Need a back seat? Adults? Or kids? Need to carry plywood? Dry wall? Towing a boat? Trailer? Camper?
    the beetle comment was made by graphixchic in the "Perfect sportscar for this woman" topic (graphixchic isn't the woman in question). I feel qualified to attend the sportscar topic because of my ownership of an XJ-S.

If anyone is really interested graphixchic's comment was that she liked Jaguars and beetles - my response was that she wasn't coming anywhere near my Jag if she liked beetles - am I forgiven boys?
    Andy, in my book, you are always forgiven, trespasses or otherwise. It works like the "get out of jail" card in game of Monopoly.

Bookitty
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Tim just likes putting guys on watch. You're lucky it's only for 48 hours.
    That's it.

- Tim
    Now I can sleep again at nights.
    Yes Andy, but always alone.

Bookitty
    want a room for some privacy??

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.