Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Hybrid Pickup

2»

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    seem's pretty hybridized to me.

Here's a question:

Does any "non-hybrid" car or truck have regen braking and energy storage modules?

Seems not......
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I can see a market for someone that needs AC on the job. I wonder what kind of EPA rating it gets if they have to give the 8 yr 100k mile warranty.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles sold in the United States, in addition to the Bumper-To-Bumper Coverage described in the Warranty Booklet, General Motors will warrant certain Hybrid components for each 2005 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid (hereafter referred to as Hybrid) for 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers), whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, against warrantable repairs to the specific Hybrid components of the vehicle.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    GM should have done this right after the Arab Oil Embargo of the 70s but I need to give credit where credit is due, who else offers a hybrid option in a P/U, oh & it's not just for fleet customers anymore. Here is a review from thecarconnection.com - snip - General Motors is a little bit behind in the hybrid race. But they're starting to catch up. Although more advanced hybrid models from GM are on the way over the next two years, for now the company is offering a "mild hybrid" version of its big Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups, keeping the same V-8 powertrain but claiming a fuel economy improvement of 10 to 13 percent.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8254
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    "Releasing your foot from the dash causes a sudden start of the engine but no serious surge forward."

Haha! I hope you're flexible. Exactly where is the brake pedal on this truck?! ;-D

-Wes-
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    The truck uses regenerative braking.

But none of that electrical energy goes to the wheels. So, what's the point? Why recycle energy if it can't be used to drive the wheels?

troy
    quote ETroy:Why recycle energy if it can't be used to drive the wheels?"-end quote

Same reason your favorite car the Lupo shuts down at stop lights....The Chevy Hybrid uses that energy "in part" to achieve it's higher MPG rating by keeping all the truck's functions running while the gas engine is shut off.
    Well Volkswagen says Lupo is NOT a hybrid. Doesn't sound like this pickup is a hybrid either?

troy
    I don't see much difference from the IMA used by Honda, other than the AC outlets...

Auto engine start and stop at speeds lower than 13 mph
    Normal and continuous modes for onboard generator use
    Energy storage module
    Regenerative braking

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/hybrid/

seem's pretty hybridized to me.

Here's a question:

Does any "non-hybrid" car or truck have regen braking and energy storage modules?

Seems not......

these trucks aren't actually propelled by the electricity they generate. Instead, an electric generator nestled in their transmission cases enable GM's hybrids to shut down their otherwise conventional gasoline engines while coasting or sitting at a stoplight."

So it CAN MOVE without using the gas engine and without the driver taking any action to shut the engine down (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have an ISG (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have two 20-amp integrated power sources in the rear (unlike a gas-only truck.) :)
    "I don't see much difference from the IMA used by Honda... Auto engine start and stop at speeds lower than 13 mph / Normal and continuous modes for onboard generator use / Energy storage module /Regenerative braking"

Yes, but the IMA does one extra thing that makes Honda a hybrid, and Chevy NOT:

- uses the stored electricity to push the car down the road (+14hp)

Having two sources of power to drive the wheels is the very definition of "hybrid power". The Chevy Pickup only has ONE power driving the wheels.

troy
    Here's a question:

Does any "non-hybrid" car or truck on this planet have both regen braking and energy storage modules?

If the Chevy Silverado is not a Hybrid, how would it be "labeled?"
    "A normal car with regen capabilities". The Chevy pickup doesn't do anything a normal car can not do (shut off at stops, provide plugs to power TVs/radios). Even the regen braking can be done with a normal car, via using the starter motor.

But definitely NOT a hybrid. A hybrid dumps the electrical power to the wheels.

Troy
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    No, your definition of a hybrid "dumps electrical power to the wheels."
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Doesn't the Chevy keep the heat/AC and other ancilliary systems running while the engine is turned off? That's not something any other vehicle can do, even if you manually shut it down. Plus all electrical systems will reboot everytime you turn the key back on. More importantly, you can't turn your vehicle off while it's coasting because you would lose brake/steering assist.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stick to the topics and not fall into the trap of talking about each other!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Sweet!
    The world's only hybrid offering:

1. Towing ability.
    2. ANY off pavement ability.
    3. Emergency generator capabilities.
    4. A pickup bed.
    5. No waiting lines or "market adjustments!"
    6. No compromise engine performance.

Looking forward to the impressive new Dual hybrid system on the 2007 Tahoe. Will be interesting to see this on the next generation GM pickups.

PS Any guesses who will make the next competing truck? :confuse:
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Ford get itno the game with an F-150 hybrid perhaps
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    After Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid was launched which has similar size and engine.

The next hybrid from Ford should be the Mazda Tribute which also shares the size / engine.

By mass producing a particular system, they can bring down their cost.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    "hybrid" about 1-2 mpg? Hardly any savings to justify the cost.
    Being an owner of sister Sierra I would say you are correct. It is nice having auto stop and a very refined starter. Plus I have used the 120 VAC a couple times to trim trees a ways from any AC outlets. Nice truck and you don't have to have the CA smog tests at $50 a whack. Of course you get the best truck in it's class and the prices this summer were great. To me the mileage was way down the list of wants and of little importance.
  • hybrid04priushybrid04prius Member Posts: 4
    The add'l cost is worth it because you get a tax deduction and a nice generator to boot. True the mileage gains are minimal but GM should really not call it a hybrid. They were better off just putting a diesel engine in it.
    They were better off just putting a diesel engine in it.

I would have to agree with that. I don't know if hybrid PU trucks will be practical at all. I seriously doubt the HSD system that Toyota uses will be well suited for a work truck. It lends itself more to cars like the Prius and I imagine the Camry. The two SUVs Toyota is building are hardly worth the huge premium. More disgruntled owners of the RH & HH than happy campers. Toyota should have realized by now that they are not very good as 4X4 vehicles and they are not saving much gas.

Did GM screw up with their wannabe hybrid? I'll let you know in 5 or so years.
  • thereisnospoonthereisnospoon Member Posts: 12
    It is VERY pointless because, trust me, when you replace the hybrid cell (which, since it's a Chevy, it's probably not going to last as long as it says), you're going to spend so much on that cell that you will probably end up LOSING money on it.

There's no reason to buy a Chevrolet to begin with, but IF you bought this Silverado hybrid, just about the only thing that would be good is that you could claim it on your taxes and get a bigger refund (or have to pay less).
    you're going to spend so much on that cell that you will probably end up LOSING money on it.

What cell might that be? The battery is a $200 42 volt lead acid. The starter generator is very large and starts the engine instantly when you remove your foot from the brake. A DC/AC invertor is provided for 120volt AC power 20 amp service. Very handy for compressors and saws when away from commercial power. All that was $1000 extra. With no degradation to towing power or off-road ability. And GM still builds the best PU trucks available.
  • shj54321shj54321 Member Posts: 2
    My Hybrid truck has electrical problems. My Dad's has mechanical problems.
  • shj54321shj54321 Member Posts: 2
    My GMC Sierra Hybrid has not had a problem in 15 months. I don't get the mileage I had hoped for. It is about 1 MPG higher than my 1999 Suburban around town driving. Maybe 2 MPG better on the highway. Not great for a lighter, tinnier plastic truck.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    ...with new versions due in about 18 months.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2688

Bob
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A freelancer aims to talk with owners of the following hybrid models: Accord, Altima, Camry, all Lexus hybrids and all pick-up truck hybrids.

Please respond to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2007 with your daytime contact information and the hybrid model you own.
    A Forbes.com article on the least efficient hybrids and the dreaded "hybrid premium" are the subject of today's Alternate Route entry, Boon or Bane?
  • rgould22rgould22 Member Posts: 21
    Well the new two mode Chevy PU are supposed to be hitting the lots any day now. Has anybody actually seen any of the new trucks yet?
  • lmichelettolmicheletto Member Posts: 1
    1st 20 miles the brake brain went out, 25000 miles we lost the hybrid starting system, 29000 the heater went out, 32000, the heater went out again, 53000 the hybrid starting system went out, 56000 had to replace 4 batteries, 75000 the hybrid starting system went out again, 77000 the electrical outlets in the bed stopped working, 92000 miles no hybrid starting system, 109000 the hybrid starting system started on fire and melted the engine and hood. this is a 2006 we aren't getting a new hybrid.
This discussion has been closed.