Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Insight

baxmanbaxman Member Posts: 1
Hello. I have a 2000 Honda Hybrid that I take EVERYWHERE I go. It has about 120k and ALL the work that has been done is 1 tire set at 80k, oil changes at 3500 miles and a EGR valve at 85k. I get about 56-60 mpg using all types of driving styles and have switched to a larger tire for better road handling. I have a manual tranmission that is not as quick as a Auto. I do use the AC on Econ mostly, but have used it going to Tahoe up the grades. Going to Las Vegas, we rec. approx 63 mpg and when I went to Bridgeport, Ca. I got 71 coming back to Los Angeles. It is the BEST car that I have EVER owned!! Our next one will be a Civic Hybrid and we will keep the Insight. GET ONE!!!!!!!!

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Since they discontinued production of the Insight.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Or get a used one or sweetheart deal on new, anyone in the Houston area want to get rid of a Insight ? Would prefer a 5 speed but CVT is okay and the color, well surprise me ! (hope not black, did I mention Houston area) Just a couple weeks ago I e-mailed a local Honda dealer about a Insight, MSRP is 19.2 K "internet special" was 18 thousand, too rich for my blood, Honda must not want to get rid of them yet. Anyone want out of their Insight ? I'll come to your local and pay cash if the price is right.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Gillam Honda has two new 2003 Insight CVTs for sale :)They siad they are geeting a 5-sppe Insight with AC in and also could order one, but I will belive it when I see it. All other Houston areas dealeres say they can't get anymore.

#1 what tire upgrade did you do? How much did it affect your mileage.
  • derekgdwderekgdw Member Posts: 51
    If Honda is nixing the Insight line (Not too surprising unfortunatly. They're cool cars but the market for a $20k CRX isn't there . . .) Although probably not something that would happen . . .

The current Insight has the basic looks and design of the old CRX.

I think it would be cool if Honda brought a hybrid vehicle along the same design as the Del Sol as the next version of the Insight.

Obviously the convertable feature wouldn't help fuel economy much but they could instead turn it into somewhat of a hybrid performance vehicle.

Just a thought. Mainly because I like the Del Sols and I wouldn't mind buying one in the future preferrably a new one. ;-)

In any event does anyone know if Honda is canceling the Insight all together or are they just going to redesign it into something else? If anything I would see Honda designing it into another sporty type car if they kept the nameplate.
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    "In any event does anyone know if Honda is canceling the Insight all together or are they just going to redesign it into something else?"

Since Insight never returned profit unlike Prius, I don't think Honda is going to release a new redesign model.

Dennis
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Usbseawolf2000:

___Actually, it appears that the Insight will be available for the 2005 MY.

___In regards to profit on the Prius, have you seen someone state this as fact yet?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    "In regards to profit on the Prius, have you seen someone state this as fact yet?"

"Toyota Motor Corp posted on Tuesday(May 11, 2004) a double-digit rise in annual profits as it slashed costs and drove sales higher in every major market, and forecast another strong year as it rolls out one hit model after another."

"Toyota, whose stock value of $120 billion exceeds the combined worth of the U.S. "Big Three" -- General Motors, Ford and DaimlerChrysler AG"

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4951189/

With profits returning like this, would Toyota be loosing money on every Prius they sold? They plan to offer hybrid models in all line of vehicles by 2010. I only see profits just going up. Better buy Toyota stock now. LOL.

Dennis
    Hi Usbseawolf2000:

___I have been watching Toyota’s total sales and increasing profits for what seems like forever … That does not make the Prius profitable by any stretch. When I see that verified fact posted, I will post it all over the net myself!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    Xcel -

That sounds great Insight for 2005 MY. How reliable is your information? Could you please indicate or post the source?

Thanks,

MidCow
    Hi Midnightcowboy:

___It was first seen here: http://www.topgear.com/content/news/cars_coming_soon/03/ with rolling commentary from the Insighter’s over at Insightcentral dot net afterwards …

___There is at least one dealer saying the same but until one arrives … many are actually hoping it’s the Insight II w/ even lower weight, higher performance, and even better fuel economy but Honda as usual is very tight lipped.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Don't you think that is kind of misleading? GM has at least 13 different stocks on the NYSE. The last figures I saw for 2003 is that Toyota was slightly ahead of Ford selling a total of 4.9 million vehicles. Far behind GM that sold 6.9 million vehicles. I know that Toyota shows a profit more than the other majors. That could mean they are ripping us off. I agree that their stock may be the one to have as they have led the way on hybrid technology.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is the Honda Isight board so why are you posting last year's Prius articles? Initially neither Toyota's offering Prius or Honda's offering were profitable. Bascially they were a step beyond prototype limited availabiltiy to the public as a "loss-leader". The concept was accepted by the public and both Honda and Toyota have moved on. However, there are strong rumors of a Insight II in late 2005. The 2004 Prius the beta of the Toyta HSD system will die a quiet but heroic death!.
    Because one of the posters here asked to see some verification that the Prius is profitable, so he could post it all over the Internet. So far over 1/3 of the posts here deal either with the Prius or Toyota. So why pick on me for trying to respond to someone else's post?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    It was full of mis information.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview owners of hybrid vehicles who live in the midwest. Bonus points awarded to Michiganders who drive hybrids and respond to this query. Please send daytime contact info and a line about your vehicle choice to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, May 21, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is interested in hearing from hybrid drivers in New England. If you are willing to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, June 10, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    This is in the UK, not a bad deal, now if they did this in the US xcel would be one happy camper - snip - Honda Hunts High-Mileage Insights - Honda has started to look for the driver who has done the highest mileage in its original petrol/electric hybrid model, the Insight coupé. It will present the owner of the best-presented 100,000 miles-plus Insight with one of its current Civic IMA cars as a free replacement. http://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2004_august/05/3980.asp
    But what if the Insight owner doesn't want to replace his/her Insight with a HCH--which returns far lower fuel economy than does the Insight? Does this indicate Insights won't be sold in the UK in the future?
    Hi Rfruth:

___There is a guy out of Washington state (an Internet friend of mine) that cleans the bottom of his Insight including waxing behind the rims every 3 or so weeks! His Insight is so clean you could eat off the bottom, top, side, and interior ;-) In actuality, he takes it to car shows almost weekly so that is why its so meticulously maintained.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    I don't blame the guy for choosing the Insight over the HCH. If he is a commuter that is looking for the best mileage the Insight is still KING of the Road. If you don't haul 3 or more people 20% of the time it is a waste to have a 5 passenger car that only gets 45-50 mpg. You can rent a bigger car on the occasion you need more room.
    Insight (5-speed with /AC) is still on my short list. Does anyone have an specifics of the 2005 model. Any changes?

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- Oh to give up power for mileage!
    The Insight is on your short list? What happened to the S2000? What happened to the HAH? What happened to that "need for speed"? Finding that 0-60 isn't everything, eh? ;-)
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I saw the crash test results (4 stars) front and side crashes. Problem is there is NO side airbag option. I wonder why?
  • billmchalebillmchale Member Posts: 107
    Well side airbags were not very common when the insight was first introduced; the car is a small seller for Honda so they are not going to invest alot of money updating. Heck there are cars with side airbags that don't get a 4 star side rating.

I think now that Honda has mainstreamed hybrid technology into the civic and soon the Accord, that they should look at turning insight platform into a replacement CRX; imagine what that car could do with the 1.6 and 1.7 liter engines honda has produced in the last few years.
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    Well, looks like Honda has announced that Insight WILL be built for 2005. But, the problem is, they said there will be NO changes from the 2004 model.

Problems with this:

1. They will not be including any advances in hybrid technology (batteries, motors, wiring, etc.) that they've learned. So, should one buy a Civic or Accord hybrid instead? Are/Will they be significantly "better" because they are "newer" technology?

2. I can't believe there was no room for any improvement. Can you say that "everything" in the 2004 is "perfect"? That there was nothing learned from warranty repairs, etc. that could have been corrected/adjusted for 2005?

3. Would have been really nice to get a different color interior.... I really have a problem with that brown/tan they use! I can't understand why they didn't choose grey, which would have gone beautifully with the three available external colors.

And, I can't find any statement as to how many they expect to build for 2005. Will they purposely keep the number small so that dealers won't need to discount? Or will there be plenty available once they start rolling in? I know at the end of the 2004 model year dealers here were discounting left-over Civic hybrids.
    No changes for 2005 doesn't mean a car is perfect. It probably means that the sales volume doesn't justify changes, such as a new interior.
    Is it true that the Insight is not a "full hybrid"? In other words, when starting from a stop, it always starts the gas engine, correct? And, for most around-town driving, both the electric motor and gas engine run, correct?
    (If both of the above statements are true, then it is not a full hybrid, since a full hybrid will use only the electric motor for starting and most around-town driving, unless the batteries are low or if the driver demands more power.)

However, this may be a moot point, since the Insight's fuel economy is so high as it is...
    I think the interior color was a design mistake to begin with. The exterior colors are fine; but a grey or charcoal interior color would have gone much better with all of them.

Not asking for a "new" interior; just to manufacture all existing parts in a different color... don't even have to offer two colors!
    Any manufacturing changes cost money. When you consider how much money Honda makes per Insight plus the low sales volume, even minor changes can be hard to justify business-wise.
    Hi All:

___The Insight will be available in 2005 w/ no changes. It will be available to those that order one as of this writing. If you order one through your Honda dealership, you can expect to pay close to or at MSRP. You might find a dealership to order one for a grand or so over Invoice if you place a non-refundable large percentage of MSRP down payment possibly? MSRP or anything close to that price for any Hybrid is ridiculous imho. 2004 MY Insight’s production was halted in early summer IIRC and the same can be expected for 2005 if history repeats itself.

___Given the Insight’s low volume and unprofitable status per vehicle built, Honda is not going to improve upon there current capabilities or attributes at this point in time. Maybe if gasoline climbed to $6.00/gallon or more and people finally got serious about fuel economy and purchased boatloads of Insight’s, Honda might invest in improvements or an Insight II. As it stands, Honda still has the highest fuel economy capable automobile in the Insight available anywhere including the POS Lupo available in Europe.

___As for the mild/full hybrid discussion. I don’t know of any automobile available to us anywhere that has hit > 95 mpg in the city or > 115 mpg out on the highway. With that, the Insight 5-speed is your best choice for maximum fuel economy available anywhere. An Insight also forces one to sacrifice in areas one may not wish too. Some of these sacrifices include performance, ride, and handling and are inherent sacrifices to all hybrids available to date in one form or another. All of this doesn’t really matter of course because if you want greater fuel economy; you can achieve it from the vehicle you currently drive … if you so desire. Unfortunately, the practical fuel economy limits of all other automobiles can not come close to the fuel economy capabilities of an Insight 5-speed no matter how much we all wish our present automobiles (Hybrid’s, Diesel’s, or std. ICE’s) fuel economy to improve …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    ___2000 Honda Insight 5-speed #203 - 92.5 lmpg
    Thanks for the "insight".... especially on the pricing aspects. It would be difficult to place a large and/or non-refunable deposit having never even sat in one, let alone test driving one. Wonder why they'd only order one for you under those circumstances... if they are in demand, would seem they'd leap at (any) opportunity to order one. Then if you back out, they've got another to sell.

How much lower MPG do you think there would be for the CVT? Your mileage is MUCH above the EPA estimates. Wonder if the continuously-variable transmission model could also be expected to beat the estimates?

Have you ever experienced problems with the gas engine restarting so often (sounds like it will cycle on and off at every stop in city driving... quite an exercise for a starter)?
    rcc442,

The problem is that they are not in demand.

Honda keeps making them because they can have the bragging rights for the highest mpg vehicle. This gets a lot of free publicity for Honda.

XCEL is a pretty phenomenal driver for getting high mileage. I don't think many people can come close to what he can do. However, I think you can reasonably expect to get the EPA estimates and maybe a little better if you follow guidelines for getting maximum mileage.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • sholcombesholcombe Member Posts: 1
    From my experience(around 35k miles), you can expect around 56 mpg in mixed driving from the cvt. I am not sure how that relates to the epa estimates. the 5-speed has a few advantages (more control of auto-stop, lean burn, etc) that result in greater potential impact on mpg by driving style.

As for the starter, the insight does not use a conventional starter (except as a backup). The electric motor part of the drivetrain is used to start the gas engine.
    Wayne (Excel) ,

You have a 5-speed Insight. How well does the Insight AC coll down on hot (above 90 degreess0 days?

I had a 1995 Acura Integra GSR and it colled very slow, maybe 5 minutes before you had real cold air. After I put in a cold air intake ( clear up a lot of the space take up by the factory air filter) it cooled much faster, taking only 1 minute.

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- If I could ever find a car dealer that had a 5-speed Insight in stock that I could test drive, I might buy one. I am just not sure if I could handle the perfomance. However, I have test driven a Jetta TDI 5-speed twice and was pleased with the performance.

P.S.S. -Wayne thanks for all of your insight and comments on the Hybrid forums. I for one really appreciate your knowledge and your point of view. Most of the time I fully agree with you!
  • billy5billy5 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings; On both of my Insights the AC has cooled the interior down very quickly, even on 103 degree days. Concerning the earlier post: Yes, Wayne is probably the best at getting high mpg. But really, any driver who WANTS to can do nearly the same thing, by re-thinking things in terms of: high tire pressure, slowing down, highway driving only, momentum, keeping OFF the brake pedal, very gradual acceleration, lean burn, watching the instant mpg graph. Billy....
    Every car I've ever owned or ridden in that had a properly functioning A/C had/has cold air within seconds. I must say my current '00 Civic hatch requires a higher fan setting than most to stay comfortable but it does the job & there's cold air from the get-go.

Xcel is a master at squeezing everything possible from a gallon of gas but I agree anyone who wants better MPG from whatever they drive can do so with some simple steps http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org/ - Astros in 7 !
    On my way home from work, I usually drive with the fast work flow far left lane. But guess what there was a silver Insight I bascially had trouble keeping up with :) I guess he was in the correct lane at the right time. He seemed to do okay at 70-80 mph!

My question about the air conditioning was because I agree with Rob , almost all cars I have driven except for one : 1995 Acura Integra GSR, had more than adequate cooling.

Billy, Thanks for your answers.

YMMV,
    MidCow

P.S- Just put new tires, brakes, radiator flush on my commuter car. So I guess it will last a little longer.
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    Why do people automatically assume the Insight is slow and/or the air conditioning doesn't work?

Seriously, I'd like to know.

I own an Insight and it always amazes me when people come up to me and say, "How slow is it?" (shaking head) I wish people would stop making assumptions.

Anyway, the Insight has a top speed of ~120 mph, and 10.5 second 0-60 acceleration. It's not slow. And the A/C gets so cold I need a winter jacket.

The Insight is just like any other <100 hp car (Focus, Echo, Beetle, et cetera).
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    is near the "slow" end of the range offered by modern vehicles and is the most optimistic that I've seen among Insight test reports. Don't misunderstand, I admire the Insight's technology and consider it the best of the Hybrids thus far (in 5 spd form), but it is slow among modern cars and has modest handling and braking capabilities to boot.
  • shewithshewith Member Posts: 3
    I don't know much about cars, but I would like to buy an Insight to get high mpg (saving money is helpful) and to produce low greenhouse gas emissions (I work at being as green as I can afford).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm has info on mpg and emissions. I selected the year, Honda, and Insight and it gave me info (and had links to other info) about various versions of an Insight. It seems I should be looking for an SULEV version in automatic because that's the only version that does both high mpg and low greenhouse gas emissions.

I have several questions:

(1) The other day I looked under the hood of a 2002 Insight at a used-car dealer near me and neither the salesperson nor I could see the version (SULEV, ULEV, ...) listed anywhere. Is there a foolproof way to find out the version?

(2) Is it correct that if I want high mpg AND low greenhouse gas emissions, I need to find an SULEV+automatic? It seems that some of the versions have not very good emissions, but maybe I'm not interpreting that correctly.

(3) To find an SULEV, would I need to get a car from California? Or do cars that meet the SULEV standard get sold elsewhere, even when new? Or are all Insights for the US market manufactured to meet the California standards (SULEV?), as my mechanic guesses?

(4) If a Insight isn't an SULEV, can it be tuned by an everyday mechanic to have as low greenhouse gas emissions as an SULEV? (My mechanic says he doesn't have any information on variations in tuning Insights.)

(5) Is there a way to get an analog reading of mph and mpg while driving? (An Insight I drove earlier this year--a 2000--had a always-changing digital reading of mph or mpg or both (I forget which), and I could see it might give me a headache in time.)

(6) An Insight is pretty small. Does that make it less crashworthy? I do a lot of commuting on an interstate.

(7) Is there year an Insight year that's especially reliable?

(8) I don't see any online listings of Insights for sale that lists what version (SULEV, etc.) the car is. Is there a listing that does?

(9) Am I going way overboard with this, in the sense that every Insight has such good emissions that going to great lengths to get the best emissions is foolish? I can't tell how much difference the difference makes.

Thank you for your help. I'm not very car savvy, and yet I'd like to do this if I have a reasonable amount of confidence that I know what I'm doing.
    I don't see any online listings of Insights for sale that lists what version (SULEV, etc.) the car is. Is there a listing that does?

It is all confusing. I can tell you the SULEV rated Insight was produced for CA and the other CARB states. Also the CVT Insight gets about 9 mpg less than the Manual. The manual transmission Insight will put out less GHG than the CVT model. I would look for the best used Insight you can find. Preferably with some warranty left on it. No matter which version you get it will be very Clean and Green compared to most cars on the road. And best of all you are saving a lot of money on gas.
    (10) I've had Honda's before. They all seem to do poorly at heating the passenger compartment in the winter. In the Insight the same? Or did they make the heater work better in the Insight?
    Hi Shewith:

___Hopefully the following will help?

(1) The other day I looked under the hood of a 2002 Insight at a used-car dealer near me and neither the salesperson nor I could see the version (SULEV, ULEV, ...) listed anywhere. Is there a foolproof way to find out the version?

___On my 5-speed, there is a sticker on both the back rear window and underneath the hood (look up, not down). The one on the rear window states &#147;ULEV&#148; (it is if run on low sulfur fuel) and the other under the hood shows Federal NLEV and California LEV compliance.

(2) Is it correct that if I want high mpg AND low greenhouse gas emissions, I need to find an SULEV + automatic? It seems that some of the versions have not very good emissions, but maybe I'm not interpreting that correctly.

___No. GHG and high fuel economy are directly related. The Insight CVT&#146;s (not the manual) are offered in SULEV format (SMOG forming emissions are great but its GHG emissions are just good). The CVT&#146;s lack Lean burn and thus their actual and possible Fuel Economy is pathetic by comparison. I have read of 2 or 3 CVT&#146;s receiving into the low 70&#146;s for a segment distance whereas the 5-speeds (ULEV rated on low sulfur fuel) have easily surpassed 100 + mpg on both segments and whole tanks. This is where the GHG savings are actually achieved. SULEV is great for reducing SMOG forming emissions but it won&#146;t reduce GHG emissions in comparison to the 5-speed and it will not save you money at the pump much more if any then a std. Prius II will. I see too many mid 40 to low 50 mpg Insight CVT&#146;s around unfortunately.

(3) To find an SULEV, would I need to get a car from California? Or do cars that meet the SULEV standard get sold elsewhere, even when new? Or are all Insights for the US market manufactured to meet the California standards (SULEV?), as my mechanic guesses?

___You might not find an Insight at all because they are now special order only and that window is closing up fast. If you find a new CVT on a lot, it will be SULEV-II rated.

(4) If a Insight isn't an SULEV, can it be tuned by an everyday mechanic to have as low greenhouse gas emissions as an SULEV? (My mechanic says he doesn't have any information on variations in tuning Insights.)

___Again. GHG&#146;s are directly related to your Fuel Economy. A CVT has far less capability for reducing GHG emissions then a 5-Speed. Having a mechanic tune anything is asking for trouble in regards to emissions but there are hundreds of things you can do to achieve higher Fuel Economy with the Insight 5-speed being the top of the list as far as right off the lot.

(5) Is there a way to get an analog reading of mph and mpg while driving? (An Insight I drove earlier this year--a 2000--had a always-changing digital reading of mph or mpg or both (I forget which), and I could see it might give me a headache in time.)

___You can turn off both the Instantaneous and the indicated fuel economy over the distance but if you want to reduce GHG&#146;s, maximum fuel economy is achieved by a study of the gauges over what ever terrain/temperature, weather conditions you are currently traversing. I wouldn&#146;t turn off these indications as they are a godsend for those of us that push the Insight to its extremes in terms of hypermile fuel economy and reducing GHG&#146;s.

(6) An Insight is pretty small. Does that make it less crashworthy? I do a lot of commuting on an interstate.

___The smaller the vehicle, the higher the probability of injury in a collision with a larger vehicle. This is true no matter what size the car. As it stands, the Insight actually does pretty well for a vehicle in its class. The Honda Insight is rated by the NHTSA with 4 Stars out of 5 for frontal driver, frontal passenger, side impact - front seat, and Rollover.

(7) Is there year an Insight year that's especially reliable?

___The Insight has changed very little from the 2000 MY to the 2005&#146;s so reliability will probably be ~ equal.

(8) I don't see any online listings of Insights for sale that lists what version (SULEV, etc.) the car is. Is there a listing that does?

___Honda.com --> Automobiles --> Honda --> Insight --> Specifications. This will tell you most of what you need to know.

(9) Am I going way overboard with this, in the sense that every Insight has such good emissions that going to great lengths to get the best emissions is foolish? I can't tell how much difference the difference makes.

___Not really. If you are purchasing an Insight to reduce GHG&#146;s and save the planet, the 5-speed is what you want although on high sulfur fuel it is only LEV rated. If you want to reduce SMOG related emissions, the CVT is cleaner but its Fuel Economy and performance are abysmal by comparison. I would consider an HCH or Prius II if you really want a CVT based automatic.

Thank you for your help. I'm not very car savvy, and yet I'd like to do this if I have a reasonable amount of confidence that I know what I'm doing.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___2000 Honda Insight 5-speed lmpg (lifetime miles per gallon) = 92.5 mpg

http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/details.php?cid=54
    Hi Shewith:

(10) I've had Honda's before. They all seem to do poorly at heating the passenger compartment in the winter. In the Insight the same? Or did they make the heater work better in the Insight?

___No, there is not a problem with heat as the Auto-climate in the Insight works great indeed. With that being said, the more heat you use in the winter, the cooler the coolant temperature and the lower your Fuel Economy. The same in summer heat with heavy A/C use. A/C will knock a 5-speed&#146;s lean burn capability to 0 so you are back to maybe 55 mpg type numbers with A/C in use while out on the highway. The Hybrid&#146;s ICE&#146;s aren&#146;t big hulking 5.0 L V8&#146;s so they don&#146;t have the spare capacity to achieve both outrageous fuel economy while supplying you with absolute comfort in all climates. They will supply you with whatever temperature you need but at the expense of quite a bit of fuel economy. Oh, and in the heat of summer, the A/C when idling maybe not keep up with your own demands. Out on the highway or while tooling around town it will be fine but at idle, you might find it to be lacking a bit.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    I have much more confidence going ahead with getting one. I appreciate your help in making things make sense.

P.S. If the Insight is discontinued, is Honda likely to keep supplying parts?
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Looks like 2004 is the last year for Honda-Insight.

I dont see the 2005 model in Honda's website itself

while it is available for all other models.

Honda must have designed it as a 4-Seater vehicle

using its hatchback design. After all smaller

Mini seats 4.

Sad indeed.
    Hi Yerth10:

___They are tough to get and will be discontinued early in the year just like the 04&#146;s if they have not been discontinued already but there is a shipment of 05&#146;s heading to the West Coast as we speak. A friend of mine actually has a delivery date for one into the Seattle area in just a few days. He has owned 2 previous and is actually hoping his latest to be the last available anywhere for not only its very unique attributes but its last of a kind status as well ;-)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes