Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Delivery was today. There were very few Silver or Gray cars that met my exact specs, and turns out they had a very hard time getting a dealer to let one go. But in the end I've got the exact car I wanted, in my first color choice (Ingot Silver) for the agreed upon price. Also, they were able to beat my credit union's 2.49% / 60 month term rate - got me 2.39% / 60 months through Chase. Will take me a bit of time to learn the Sync system, as I'm use to fairly simple Subaru radios as of late. Everything went as-promised. Dealer was Haldeman Ford in Allentown, PA. Feels good to be back in a Ford...
  • Options
    rlc001rlc001 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    We just picked up our new 2012 Focus Titanium HB in Sonic Blue with Sport Shift, Winter, Roof, Navi, Parking, and Remote Start. MSRP is $27595. As a Costco member, we did not need to negotiate except for the remote start which I really did not want but it came with it on the only sonic blue car they had (and now even more, I would recommend Not getting it!). I was able to get the dealer to take an additional $200 off for the remote start ($445 MSRP). All in all, the total discount from the dealer was $3056. Ford currently (until July 2nd) has $1500 rebate, and I also received $500 rebate for college student (had to add my daughter in as the 1st owner and also on the loan). So the total discount including the rebates was $5056, for a purchase price of $22559 + tax and lic. I am happy with the deal. The sonic blue color is amazing! This car was built on 5/27/12 so it has all the latest fixes on the DCT and the MFT and is part of the Job#2 built which included the 4-way head rest and the flex fuel badging, in addition to the fixes on DCT and MFT. So far the car runs great! On 1 highway trip from south Denver to CU Boulder, the car computer registered that 45 mile trip to have a 54.5 MPG!!! Gotta love that if it is a true figure. Car is still too new to tell if that MPG is way over estimated by the car computer. Car still only has ~350 miles on it. So far so good and we are loving the car! The car purchase experience was also great with no surprises or game playing by the dealer to pressure us into adding any extras, i.e., car protection packages or extended warranty, etc.
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Awesome! I like the sonic blue too. Keep us posted on how things unfold. I'm especially curious about people's experience with mytouch.
  • Options
    venusjxvenusjx Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE. I asked the dealer about the OTD price. The OTD prices are around 19,200 to 19,250. What price should I actually pay when I buy the car? Can I get a cheaper price. By the way, I am in Mississippi. Thanks.
  • Options
    rlc001rlc001 Member Posts: 9
    The OTD price will vary depending on your locations because of the sales taxes and lic fees, as well as the dealer doc fees (which is all profit but I was told that is non-negotiable from several local dealers. That fee varies from $499 to $649 unless you are on the X-plan which Ford limits the dealer fee to under $100) so I prefer to work with the discount from the car MSRP for comparison, and then you can add in those other fees to get the OTD price.

The first thing you should do is to use edmunds to configure the car you are interested in with the options on the car so you can get the invoice price of the car. I found the invoice price from edmunds to be exact except it did not include the Ford's Sync discount of $395. It also did not have the advertising fees and 1 tank of gas which all dealers have to pay and these 2 items totaled to ~$350 on my car.

For me as Costco member, the price was $825 under the invoice price with no negotiations needed. But my dealer required a $649 dealer fee.

Since my car purchase price was $3056 from the MSRP of $27595, the discount would represent approximately 11% off from MSRP so you can use that as a guide to gage if you are getting a good deal or not. That price is before the Ford rebates. So in my case, I have $1500 Ford rebate + $500 college rebate, so I got another $2000 off from that price, so my price was $22559 + $649 (dealer fee) + tax + lic.

Good luck in your dealing!
  • Options
    venusjxvenusjx Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much! I may buy this car in Collins from Mississippi or Meridian from Mississippi.
  • Options
    k1ngkev1n1k1ngkev1n1 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased my ford focus SEL black, black interior leather, NAV, ford sync, backup sensors, 17 inch alloy wheels. MSRP price of 23,300, I got it down to 19,600 with a tank of gas. The OTD price was 21900 exactly. I feel like it was a good deal tax sucks here in CA anyways, but i feel like i got a good deal basically negotiated as close to invoice as we could roughly i think within 100 then took off 2500 worth of rebates 2000 as the deal they had and 500 for having a competitor lease. Will buy a extended warranty just heard it was better to go online to get prices.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I never know what to think when comparing with other shoppers. It sounds like you and I got similar deals though I hope we are comparing apples to apples. A few days ago, I just picked up a 2012 SEL hatchback with premium package, moonroof, and winter package. MSRP was $24,950 (that includes the destination fee). My "price," as far as I can figure, was approximately invoice. After $2,500 rebates as well, my OTD was $22,330. Taxes in my neck of the woods are 6% of price prior to rebates.

Dealer I worked with acted as if I was holding the place up, although it seems like others got better deals.

Edit: I mispoke: MSRP including $395 sync discount was $24,360.
  • Options
    rahul8rahul8 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2013 Ford Focus SE Sedan with 200A (no charge sync), Auto Transmission, Sirrus radio, Super fuel economy package - RED for $16500 + TTL

Leif Johnson Ford -Austin

Example - http://www.leifjohnsonford.com/details/New+2013+Ford+Focus+SE+1FADP3F22DL115491+- Austin
  • Options
    wheelman01940wheelman01940 Member Posts: 2
    Simply WOW ... the best I did on an 2012 SE with A/T and 201A package (sedan) was 3,580 off MSRP .. that was rebates and discounts .. new car

BTW - sign up on the FORD website a good 6 weeks before you want to buy and they send out a 500 to 750 off coupon as well ... mine came two weeks after I bought ... Dhoa!!
  • Options
    wheelman01940wheelman01940 Member Posts: 2
    Saw the same deal in MA for a 2013 SE w Automatic and Sync .. unlike the 2012, the 2013 comes wth Alloy wheel, side morror turn signal indicator, Sync, two 12v outlets and a USB port ... not sure about Cruise ... Does not have the fog lights ...

All in all an impressive deal for the car
  • Options
    brucelandbruceland Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, your message sounds awesome! Would you please tell me where can I find the deal at MA? Also, I didn't find the ford coupon so far, is it in the official website, if it's, I might did not recognize it.

Thanks a lot if you can let me know more about it! :)
  • Options
    ellellelleellellelle Member Posts: 1
    If you're in the Houston area, I would check out Mac Haik. Got a manual se hatchback for 14,633 before ttl. Great price, very happy with it too. The process was a little longer than I had hoped, but they didn't try to pull a fast one on me so I would still recommend them.
  • Options
    ifontaineifontaine Member Posts: 24
    Hello all....

I'm relatively new to the world of the art of Car Buying. In the past, we always bought Ford/Mercury because of the ease of the A Plan.
    Is anyone here familiar enough with A/Z plan pricing to know if I can do better with a little work on my own, or just settle for the no hassle A/Z plan pricing?

We are looking at '13 Titanium, not sure if we'll do 4 door or HB. I would publish the price, but I would think that violates some sort of terms of service for my plan sponsor.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jcfialajcfiala Member Posts: 3
    2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback - SE appearance pkg, winter pkg, auto
    MSRP $24,225
    Invoice (according to edmunds) $22,378
    X plan pricing
    Ford Rebates: $2,895
    Total Car cost after rebates: $20,050
  • Options
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. What was your final OTD, including taxes, title, etc.?
  • Options
    ddavid1101ddavid1101 Member Posts: 10
    Getting quotes in DFW of 16,500 + TTL. Good deal? I really dont need a car till March/April. Is it best to buy now or should I wait?
  • Options
    coolgdeltacoolgdelta Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I have an offer for 13998 plus ttl after all rebates ford focus se with mysync automatic
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It was $21200 with TTL. (201A+winter, 5 door)
  • Options
    Wow. Thats a crazy good offer. Where is this at?

I picked up a 2013 Focus HB SE in Ruby/black. Got that for 16000 + TTL. So you are a good 1Kish below(accounting for HB price difference of 1K).
  • Options
    Agree with David. Sounds like a great price. Were there any other features? Also was this 2012 or 2013? Did that price include destination fee? Also, just to be clear, that price doesn't factor in trade-in, right?

Sorry for all the questions. I've found that price comparing can be very misleading without all the details.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I just bought a 2013 ford focus se auto music with super fuel package for 13900 plus tax title license. price includes destination they couldn't get the color I want so gave me this for 13900 everyone buy ur cars today
    Msrp 20185

No trade in guys having these deals California Bay Area
  • Options
    Thats the best deal EVER! You are about 1K lower than I did and much lower than anyone on this board. Also, you beat most 2012/13 used Focus SE with a good amount of milage on along with carmax.com.

Good job. Where was this dealer/location?
  • Options
    I got it from livermore ford, but any of the dealerships such as tracy and san leandro were all willing to negotiate. its just being willing to settle for different color and being at the end of the year.
  • Options
    fordfocus574fordfocus574 Member Posts: 4
    Nice deal man

I need some help though. I am first time buyer with okay credit. The financier was telling me if I did not buy the extended warranty, my interest rate would be 12 percent but If I bought it, it would be 5 percent. Is that a scam. Do I have to purchase warranty to get that interest rate? I ended up buying it only after he told me I cancel it after I refinance. I should not have to refinance right? I should be able to cancel the warranty no matter what and get a refund on it and still keep the apr right? Thanks you guys.
  • Options
    mojothedogmojothedog Member Posts: 1
    Bought the car on 12/31/12 in Orlando, FL. List price $20,183, they knocked off $5,000 in discounts add back $699 dealer fee = about $15,900 +TTL financed over 60 months at 2.9% for a payment of $258/mo. Hope this helps - seem like some much better deals going on in CA! Well done.
  • Options
    They can structure the terms of a loan however they want. However, I'm not sure if Ford lending practices are supposed to be standard across all dealers.

Regardless, those rates sound like a **** deal, especially with the market's current rates. I would expect rates to be between 0-5% in the current economy.
  • Options
    fomenterfomenter Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2013 Focus SE SFE package with sync for $14,260 +ttl=$15,449 otd.. MSRP WAS $20,185
  • Options
    lanpingdlanpingd Member Posts: 3
    Congrat. Is it also in bay area, CA? can you share the dealer info? i am also in the market for a new focus.
  • Options
    eriknyceriknyc Member Posts: 1
    Hi coolgdelta-

I live in the same area as you and I can't find a deal anywhere close to what you got... the best I've seen is MSRP of 21090 and getting quotes of 16,995 which include 2500 in rebates from Ford. any contacts you have at the dealership would be great. you can reach me at erikt1029@gmail.com
  • Options
    jet1bluejet1blue Member Posts: 1
    2/1/13......Today I purchased a 2013 Focus for $15,400 ($3000.00 in rebates) +TTL and doc fees... for a total of $16,857.44 OTD. The sticker price was $20,085. This was the best deal I could get in Southeast Texas.
    I'm happy with my deal however, I've been "wheeling and dealing" with different dealerships for about 3 weeks.
    Thanks to you all for your input.... all the info was very helpful!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    If I ever did get a Focus, I'd go with the SEL hatch at this point. I like the looks of the hatch way better than the sedan and it's great looking in red...yes red, it just looks right in that color on the hatch. It's a really handsome hatch with proper proportions all the way around. I drove a hatch last week for a few miles and liked everything except the weird tranny. I'm hoping to drive one at my new job and really get some seat time in one. I drove from Lauderdale to Tampa yesterday in a 2013 Elantra and was super impressed with it and it's smoothness. I'm hoping the Focus will be just as good because the hatch in red is a real looker and is on my short list for my next ride in a few years. Since I keep cars for about 10 or so years, I have to choose wisely. I now have the perfect opportunity to test drive all kinds of cars and suv's so I can make the best decision possible for me. And right now, the Focus is in the top few of that list...well done Ford...and this is coming from an import lover!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Well the SEL was discontinued for '13 so you'll have to go with the SE Appearance Package or buy used. But as a Focus owner, and having rented the Elantra before, I'll take the focus anyway (and I did!). The DCT is quirky but it has its advantages too.
  • Options
    And that's what makes America so great...we all get to choose our favorite vehicles...and purchase them, within reason of course. I still need some extended seat time in a Focus to give a well thought out reason as to which I think is better. There haven't been many Foci on my recent trips to even get one. So I'll defer judgement here but the Elantra was very very good on yesterdays jaunt across southern Florida. Going to Ft. Myers tomorrow and hoping to see a Focus in the group this time.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    queenrqueenr Member Posts: 1
    Hello car_man & kyfdx,
    I am looking to buy my first car sooner than later. I really have my heart set on a Focus in Ruby Red. I currently have a dealer that I have been working with in Georgia at the Hardy Family Ford Dealership. I also was blessed with someone who is allowing me to use thier X-Plan incentive. My questions are, 1. What would be the best price for a SE sedan model, possibly considering the Hatchback, (after reading the other posts and relooking at the model.) The current price I have been quoted is 19,632 x-plan- 2,500 rebates= 17,132. Is that a good price or should I go to another dealership (one suggested on this site)? 2. What would be the ideal amount to put down on the car also, and does it matter? 3. What are the stipulaions to using X-Plan, does it work at any Ford Dealership? Could I use it at the site's suggested locations? Thank you for all of your assistance.
  • Options
    woodstockguywoodstockguy Member Posts: 18
    How was that car optioned? Was that the sedan or HB. Sounds like a decent deal. Best price I have been able to find in the metro Atlanta area is $15.5k + TTL on the SE, auto trans w/synch.

Thanks!-CB
  • Options
    equinoxgequinoxg Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I am currently in market shopping for focus SE in GA. Will you be able to tell me the dealer name for that 15.5k before ttl? Thanks.
  • Options
    woodstockguywoodstockguy Member Posts: 18
    check out Wade in Smyrna. advertising 15995(4k off msrp)-probably get it lower..15-15.5 if you qualify for any other incentives.
  • Options
    intownatlintownatl Member Posts: 1
    Also shopping focus SE in Atlanta area. Currently looking at Focus SE Hatch with 201a option package. MSRP 22.6K. Current price 17.3K +ttt and fees = $19.5 total.
  • Options
    squallteosquallteo Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I just bought a 2013 Focus SE HB, 200a option, auto trans, MSRP $21090, paid $17800 OTD (after $3000 rebate). I am in NC. I feel it could cost less b/c the manager didn't look mad when I made my offer.
  • Options
    windsurferkwindsurferk Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone point me to the residuals and money factors on the 2013 FFE for a both 24 and 36 month leases with 15K/miles/year?
  • Options
    Fiction.
    cash back is a rebate from the manufacturer to the customer. It does not affect the dealer prices. "Employee pricing" might be from the dealership though. Still you should be able to negotiate down further.

So it sounds like they are doing MSRP-1500$(dealer)-2500 (FMC).
    FMC could care less what the dealer sells it for. FMC sold the car to the dealership and the dealership can sell if at a loss or a massive gain, FMC doesn't care, they already got their money.
  • Options
    equinoxgequinoxg Member Posts: 16
    I bought it at MOGF yesterday and drive out price is 16555. MSRP 20090, no trade in. 2% apr for five years. Leaned a lot from here. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    What model? Hatch or sedan? Personally prefer the hatch now in red, gorgeous color, with the nicer alloys. Since all they have now is the SE and no more SEL, it's a bit confusing. I did see the perfect SEL with stone leather in a seafoam green color...stunning looking vehicle but it was pretty optioned up and the price was around $25k! Comfortable seats though and it sold soon after I saw it on the floor. Now that is a Ford I would've bought had the timing been right. Since driving a number of these at work, new ones mostly, I've come to really like this vehicle. It scoots nicely and that cockpit feeling I get once I settle into the drivers seat is unlike most cars out there now. Just wish they could do something with the colors of the information readouts to a cooler color. And the sound systems/MySync is still too complicated...wish they could simplify it so a child could work it. Whenever I get one now, I just throw a cd in...so much simpler actually!

If I were in the market to replace my Civic right now, this car would definitely be on the short list...something I would never say 6 months ago!

• Options
    fourfourtwofourfourtwo Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a 2013 Focus after doing a couple of weeks research. The forum was very helpful, so thanks to all the people who participate - much appreciated.

I bought an SE HB manual with moonroof and floor mat packacge, for $16,500 plus $250 doc, tags $50, and tax on that. Ended up with $3,250 in rebates and was able to get invoice for an OTD price of $18,090.

Hope that helps the next buyers - good luck.
  • Options
    dc76dc76 Member Posts: 3
    Did you get a $500 rebate for manual transmission?
  • Options
    tipotatipota Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 2013 Focus SE, Hatchback, Auto with 201A. Any recommendations on good dealerships to deal with in the LA/OC area?

Also, what would be a good price to get after all rebates?

All help is very appreciated...thanks!
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We need your input to improve our Forums!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums
  • Options
    tigeotigeo Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Purchased last week. '13 Focus SE HB, manual, 201a, Winter pkg, moonroof. MSRP $24,025. Got it for $19,485 with incentives. OTD price $20,805 (taxes, DMV, $100 proc fee). The OTD price also includes $450 worth of accessories..splash guards, keyless entry pad, cargo area protector, and window tint (I thought their prices were v. reasonable for these items..about what I could buy them for online). I was given $2,750 in incentives, but it looks like now there is another $500-750 available. Bummer...should have waited (but don't you always say that when you buy a car?). I am happy with the car and the deal I got. I put about a third down and financed the balance for 3 years at 1.49% through my bank (Navy Federal CU).

Buying cars now days is easy...test drive cars and pick what you want, go online and get your price worked out, deal with multiple dealers via email to get the best price (I always go to the one that I test drove the car with to give them the first shot at matching prices unless they weren't nice), arrange financing through your bank, and finally...say no to the F&I guy add-ons (ext. warranty, paint/upholstery protection, etc.) when you go back to the F&I office to sign your loan check over...they won't let you out of there without trying to talk you into it!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Did you recently purchase a car from the Detroit 3 (GM, Ford or Chrysler) after avoiding these domestic vehicles in the past? What made you change your mind? A reporter would like to ask about your experience. If you can help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Friday April 26th 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews