Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Basic Care & Maintenance

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    As someone who has changed his own oil for over 30 years, you've covered all the basics nicely, but left out the "fun" parts.

Like not being able to get enough leverage to remove the oil drain bolt. Or the oil filter. Or trying to fish the bolt out of your oil-filled drain basin. Or spilling oil (hot!) on the ground or all over your hands and forearms. Or even getting the car up on the ramps without overshooting it. Or backing your car off the ramps forgetting to remove the oil drain basin from underneath.

Yes, all of the above has happened to me, except for overshooting the ramps. :sick:
  • cslasorcslasor Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the comments! Well, the detailed instructions on how to change the oil wasn't necessary. I do plenty of things myself but I will not change my oil. 'Nuff said about that. :)

Anyway, I usually figure these guys may or may not know anything about cars and had already decided this particular guy was an idiot. But I did want to make sure oil changes for a Prius wouldn't cost $50. That would certainly negate some of the savings I'd expect to see from the mileage.

I'm looking forward to my Prius test drive!
  • 63pro63pro Member Posts: 15
    Recently bought a 2010 Prius and really love the car so far. Recently had my little "ding" sound alerting me that I needed to fuel up. It brought to mind a question. If I literally ran out of gas, could I continue on electric only and if so, about how long or how many miles could I go without the system going totally dead. Would never like to try and push it that far, but was curious. Thanks, Jim :confuse:
    Only a few miles; I wouldn't advise it.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Don't do it. You will be sorry. I ran out once when I should have known better. It was not a pleasant experience. I was driving on the freeway and the whole thing started SLOWING DOWN! I could only re-start the engine, not drive. Even the reverse wouldn't save me. When the warning beep sounds, make plans to stop within 50mi. My Passat gives me 100mi. The '07 Prius doesn't.
  • snowboarder4snowboarder4 Member Posts: 42
    Expect a very bad outcome after a very brief duration. :cry:

Also, I suggest carrying a spare battery charge pack that costs about $60 in automotive. When I took a group of union officials to the airport for a week-long conference, someone apparently failed to close a door or the rear hatch. Fortunately, I did not need to call for assistance when my starter battery was dead because I always carry an emergency charger. It usually has helped other drivers in hostile winter weather, but also provides power for portable air pump, lights, and other emergency equipment. :sick:
  • j345j345 Member Posts: 1
    I just did my first oil change on my wife's 2010 prius. This was different than any other car I've owned. The 2010 prius requires 0W20 oil. I was only able to find it in mobil 1 synthetic- $7.00/quart. The oil/ filter change is 4.4 qts. The oil filter is not a standard oil filter. It is a cartridge (cost me $8. at an auto parts store). I was able to get the cover off to change the cartridge but I think I might buy the right sized wrench before I do this again. You need it to tighten the cover - believe me. I haven't been able to find this wrench yet, it is an odd size. (A 65mm is close but too large.) Also - you have to drop the plastic cover that encloses the engine compartment to get at the plug and filter cartridge. This is 6 - 10mm bolts and about 10 plastic rivets. I bought an upholstery tool to do the center pins on the rivets but on another posting someone said a staple puller works also. So if a shop is estimating $50. for an oil change, they aren't that far off what it cost me to do this myself. I'm going to keep hunting for a better price on the oil but so far I haven't found it. I checked at two WalMarts, but they are always out of it.
    It sure would be a shame if you burned up your brand-new engine in your brand-new Prius while changing the oil. I do my own oil changes, but I have the tools, AND the time. I once had a client burn up his brand-new factory-rebuilt engine while changing the oil. The oil filter leaked. He had to "part out" the car to pay off his bill on his 220D crate engine. The car was rusted, but the engine was new. Except for the burned-up crankshaft. BE CAREFUL!!!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It wasn't widely publicized but the requirement is right on the filler cap and its inside the back cover of the owners manual, 0w20 oil.

That mechanic back several posts was absolutely correct on the new Prius. Your $50 charge given synthetic oil is fairly accurate. Jiffy Lube here in SE VA charges $79.95 per change. This requirement concerns not only the 2010 Prius but all 2010 Camrys and several other new vehicles with new engines.

But..............

Toyota is in the midst of changing the OCI for these vehicles. As in the past vehicles that use the less expensive 5w20 oil still need the 6 mo / 5000 mile interval. The new Toyota's that require the 0w20 oil are being changed to 12 mo / 10000 mi whichever comes first.

Not all stores have received the offical notices but some have. Patience, soon all will be notified as the regions distribute the official word.
  • socalredsocalred Member Posts: 6
    When I first bought my Prius in 2007, I ran out of gas twice. The first time, I was able to actually turn around and drive back to a gas station up the street on electric power. The car stopped in the driveway and a guy ran over and pushed me to the pump. Whew! The second time it happened, I was on the freeway. Fortunately, we have a towing company that contracts with our county and patrols the freeways looking for poor souls like me. He came to the rescue immediately with his can of gas. I was up and running quickly. I have never run out of gas again but, I have driven past that little "ding" sound many times. I am not sure if I have modified my behavior that much. But something changed.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    6 times. I always drive 'to the ding' then look for a station within the next 100 miles. However sometimes events intrude and suddenly 'Oh s*** I was supposed to stop back there...cough, sputter, cough'

Then the nice Prius lady comes on...'Hey YOU!! Didn't I warn you back a hundred miles ago to stop and get gas?? Noooo, you were too busy to listen so now I'm going to make you crawl over the side of the road and call AAA.'

I too am not sure that I've modified my behavior that much.
  • ph1972ph1972 Member Posts: 5
    Hello I own A 2006 Toyota Prius which has completed 60000 miles my mechanic at Firestone recommended me a automatic transmission fluid change The toyota recommends only inspecting and My knowledge is the The Automatic transmission fluid in Case of Prius is Sealed and cannot be opened to be changed

60000 miles recommended service from Toyota website for 2006 Prius

Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
    Rotate tires
    Replace cabin air filter
    Replace engine air filter
    Inspect the following:
    Automatic transmission fluid
    Ball joints and dust covers
    Brake lines and hoses
    Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4
    Differential oil
    Drive belts 5
    Drive shaft boots
    Engine and inverter coolant 3
    Engine valve clearance
    Exhaust pipes and mountings
    Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
    Fuel tank cap gasket
    Radiator, condenser and intercooler
    Steering gear box
    Steering linkage and boots

Please comment do I need to replace the transmission fluid

Prem1972
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    With over 112,000 miles on my '04 Prius I will only tell you that the tranny and fluid level and/or replacement there of has been totally unecessary. The car has been the epitomy of perfection and reliability. Oil changes, filter changes, wipers and tire replacements were the only items in need of attention.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    How important do you think it is to change the cabin air filter?
    edited February 2010
    It's easy to change in the Prius -- no tools needed. Check your owner's manual for the procedure.

It can get dirty rather quickly if you live in or near a large city, likewise in dusty areas like unpaved roads or deserts. I'd recommend checking it at least every 15K miles, and replacing it if it looks dirty. A dirty filter will hamper fresh air flow into the cabin.

If you don't want to pay for a Toyota filter, I bet the aftermarket now supplies them for the Prius.
    It is mainly a dust filter. I got mine at O'Reilly's for about $9. I changed it myself. I have worked on cars in the past. If your are "handy" and have some patience, and a flashlight, you will be able to do-it-yourself. I like to make sure that no leaves get into my blower motor where they could cause a noise. If you smoke, or haul dogs/cats, it is worth it to keep it up, but it will only cause a problem if it somehow becomes clogged. Then the efficiency of the HVAC system become impaired. Like you trying to breathe thru a straw.
    Thanks for the reply.What is the HVAC system? I do not smoke or haul cats,but I do take our dogs to the vet on occasion.
    I have managed to change the cabin filter on my Optima,so I guess I have some mechanical ability,but my Optima book has instructions in it, and I don't even know where the Prius filter is located.In the Optima I have to drop the glove box and after that it's easy.Is it anything like that?
    Same location as Optima except you also have to pull off the damper on the right side of the glove box lid (no tools); HVAC = heating, ventilating, and air conditioining system.
  • laughen59laughen59 Member Posts: 10
    I have a '09' Prius I bought new. Does anyone know if the battery ever had to be replaced how much that would cost these days? Also, are their any recalls on any Prius other than the 2010? Thanks. I really like this site, people are so knowledgable. :)
    Don't sweat the battery (I assume you're talking about the big traction battery, not the small conventional one like all cars have). Hardly any have had to be replaced, and all were in older Priuses. The cost is about the same as a conventional automatic transmission last I heard, about $3000.

Yes, there is a recall on the 2004-09 Prius. This is for the floormat/gas pedal interference. You will receive a letter. The fix will be to shorten the gas pedal and supply a new all-weather (rubber) mat if you have the latter already.
    I have very carefully inspected my floor mats and their relationship with the accelerator pedal, and come to the conclusion that the whole deal is a red herring.The mat is attached to the floor with two hooks, and is virtually impossible to move accidentally.I tried to make the two interact,and without manually unhooking the mat,it's impossible.The acceleration problem,if there is one ,is in the electronics.
    Toyota has always manufactured a superior product to GM and Ford. Since the inception of the recall efforts, I concluded that the safety issues are greatly exaggerated and much of the promotion is politically-motivated. If you want to analyze the safety hazards in a motor vehicle, begin with big contributors: cell phone and other distractions; exhaustion of the driver; inattentiveness; intoxication; lack of adequate driver training; poor response judgment of the driver; excessive speed for conditions. If you read a few of the reports of injuries from alleged unintended acceleration events, then you know that in many incidents it is likely that the driver was traveling at a high rate of speed before the situation arose. After reports began surfacing, I practiced responding to a potential unwanted acceleration issue by disengaging my transmission: corrective timespan of about one second. Similarly, when my Prius begins gaining speed on steep grades in the mountains, it only takes a moment for me to shift gears and engage the retarder. I guess that driver training should be conducted on manual transmission vehicles, so that drivers understand what makes their deadly weapons move forward. From my daily observations and near-miss accidents, many drivers need training in how to safely operate a motor vehicle. On every day with snow, I observe one accident for every two hours that I am driving. When snow has been less frequent or the storm is not heavy, the speed of travel and accident rate goes up.
    How would you explain the ones where the driver claimed that she/he put the car in neutral,yet the acceleration continued.Either it's unexplainable,or they are lying.
    Without a thorough inspection of the vehicle, it's not possible to know. When people make a claim, you're only hearing their version of what happened.

I'd get the recall done if I were you. My son will do so with his 2006 Prius, even though there's also no hint of the secured, proper mat possibly interfering with the pedal.
  • rpaleyrpaley Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 and live in suburb of Washington, DC, but did not look at the cabin filter for the first 5 years. It was still fairly clean, but I changed it anyway. I guess the frequency mostly is affected by dirty air outside and dogs and cats inside.

Fairly easy to change, mostly a nuisance.
    the 2004 (2nd generation) also had a recall because of sticking gas peddle.
    I agree...I think they came up with that to make more money for their dealers.
    Hello all. I have a 2004 with only 35,000 miles on it, with its ORIGINAL battery. Twice, on two different very cold periods (20 degrees F), and after sitting w/o starting it for 4-5 days. The following happened -- er, it would NOT START, or even try to start. Here are the details (if this was a standard car, I would surely think it was a dead or dieing battery, but this is STRANGE:

(1st time) dim dashboard and clock; could not make the transmission shift out of Park and into any gear; could not get "brake engaged" indicator to go off, even when I DID disengage the parking brake; it took a FEW tries to shut down this dim displays (e.g., it did NOT turn-off on the first insertion of the "Start" button. I cycled through the normal start and shutdown sequence to no avail. I let the car sit for a few hours while the outdoor temperature rose to the mid-30's F. Then I inserted the Start button, the car STARTED IMMEDIATELY and it acted normally during the next few days, including the dashboard lights, etc. were normal.

(2nd time) similar dim dashboard, including the warning light (big triangle with !! enclosed; seatbelt and shift location, gasolene level were all blinking; and brake engaged symbol would not disengage, even when I DID let the emergency brake off. When I cycled the car on and off about 3-4 times, and the above repeated. Then I pressed the Start button AGAIN (of course pressing the brake pedal this time AND each of the above times), and the dashboard lights came on brightly, and the car started and acted totally normally.

A month or so ago, I checked the battery's strength and it was pretty good. I followed the instructions on this board

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Robbie
  • atef54joatef54jo Member Posts: 1
    hi . hru , i use my car r400h but now appear on screen maint reqd , alrady i changed oil and filter but ats still on and written . and i programmed oil and filter setting but still written . how can i solve please . thanks
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Is it possible to fit three forward facing child car seats in the back row. I have the narrower car seats that are 17" wide so am wondering if there is at least 51" between the doors?
    The best bet is to take your 3 seats to the dealer and see if you can buckle all 3 in the back seat.
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    Can someone tell me when I should do an oil change on a new car? I have 5000 miles at this point. Thanks,
  • shahanshahan Member Posts: 2
    my 2006 Prius has a 'maintenence required' light that comes on every 5000 miles. I use it for oil changes and tire rotations.
    edited March 2010
    It is is your maintenance booklet, or online at Toyota.com, then at the bottom of the page see "owner". Then go to "service maintenance guide", and download. Every 6mos or 5,000mi. when using "regular" oil. 0w-20 SYNTHETIC oil change intervals are doubled to 10K mi, 12mos. as per Toyota maintenance booklet ( "service maintenance guide" page 56)
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    What's the deal with taking a Prius thru the carwash? I have a 2010 and haven't had a problem with doing this... thanks.
    There is nothing at all to worry about. Drive on!
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    Does the new 2010 Prius now use 0W - 20 SYNTHETIC ?? My 2007 uses 5W - 30 synthetic oil !!
    I was replying to a question about a model year 2010 Prius. Yours, you say, is an '07, as is mine. On the engine oil cap, as well as in the owner's manual, the recommendation for 5w-30 oil is made.
  • justlooking9justlooking9 Member Posts: 21
    Toyota sent me a new maintenance book and letter explaining that the '10 Prius was certified for 10K miles between oil changes if using 0W-20 synthetic oil. I've now exceeded 5K miles since my last oil change and the maintenance banner is on every time I start the car. I don't intend on taking my car in for another 5K miles, is there a way to clear the banner or ask my dealer to reconfigure it for every 10K instead of 5K?
    So, did you have an "old" maintenance book that spelled out 5K mi oil change intervals? Was you car one of the early '10s sold soon after the May '09 introduction? The Toyota website reads 10K oil change intervals when using 0w-20
    oil. The car can use "regular" oil, but still have the "used-to" 5K mi change interval.
    I suppose the 10K mi interval can be selected, or programmed into the reminder system either thru your input, or the reprogramming by the dealer service personnel. The service advisor does mine on my '07. ( I change my own oil. )
  • justlooking9justlooking9 Member Posts: 21
    I bought my Prius in early August '09, the original manual did say 5K for oil and it did not come with the USB/iPod interface. I don't recall seeing anywhere in my docs that you can use regular oil.
    2007 Prius, 30,000 mile service - dealer informed me that my starter battery was fine and had a 75% charge, despite several recent incidents where I needed to jump-start my vehicle. Dealer service technician told me that the starter battery is made from gel, rather than lead acid, due to proximity of the battery to the passenger compartment and toxicity of a lead acid battery. Cost of a replacement battery is $300, compared to standard off-the-shelf batteries at one-sixth the cost. Despite passing the dealership test, two days later, I had to jump-start my starter battery again.

In past vehicles, I always replaced my lead-acid starter batteries every three years. I operate my vehicles at night and under cold weather conditions. I also always carry a back-up battery to jump start my vehicles.

What is the lifespan of the Prius starter battery?

What is the composition of the battery that makes it cost so much to replace?

When should the starter battery be replaced?

Why are service technicians unable to detect a weak battery?
    Possibly your car has a current draw. This would bleed down the batt and cause a no-start condition. It is really just a small batt the size of a riding lawn mower, or motorcycle batt. As for $300, well that sounds a bit high, but I have no experience with replacing mine yet. Anyway, if they say the batt tests "good" but you still have to jump start, and you are sure the lights are off/doors closed, etc. then the batt MUST be at least weak to give you the no-start situation. Replace the batt as they recommend, and then let them "splain" it when the car fails to start like it did BEFORE you had the batt replaced. I'll bet you get a whopper of a story. ( sunspots, ghosts, oil spills ) HA! ;)
    Since moving to day shift a few weeks ago, I have no starter battery problems. Also, I have installed an electric inverter into my cigarette lighter that charges my emergency jump-start battery while I drive. Therefore, even if my starter battery fails to respond, my jumper is fully-charged. Without night drain with headlights operating and heater often required, the starter battery does not seem to fail. Furthermore, I am driving more in summer to reach trailheads for hikes up the 14,000 foot peaks in our area. I hiked 15 during the past 6 weeks, with a few more in the plan for this week. More frequent driving seems to improve the charge on the starter battery. During most of the year, I let the Prius sit in the garage and commute 16 miles a day by bicycle. With the savings, I can afford to pay $300 every few years for a new starter battery. :shades:
  • laughen59laughen59 Member Posts: 10
    I see that you said driving with the lights on, running the air or the heater drains the battery. I thought it charged everytime you brake? Also, I run with my lights on every day because I want to make sure I am seen. Should I not do that? Mine is a 2008 and I can't imagine paying 300.00 for the battery not to mention what I will be charged for the dealer to put it in. Scary! How long is the battery supposed to last?

Thank you.
  • car_neevorecar_neevore Member Posts: 1
    I've been having starter battery problems myself and discovered that the power related to the lighting and cigarette lighter ports as well as the CLA port in the console are directly tied to the starter battery. this battery charges like a traditional 12v battery not tied to the braking or other mechanisms used to charge the NiMH batteries used by the engine.
    Word of wisdom, dont charge multiple devices out of the CLA's or even leave your chargers plugged in as they draw amps at all times from the 12v. it costs $300 from the dealer to replace the 12v too as its special
    Point of order: Good advise as to removal of battery charging cords. I find that the little 12V battery is, pound for pound, an amazing battery with likewise amazing longevity. 8yrs and going strong. What a powerhouse battery. F.Y.I... I suggest checking around for this special battery. It does cost more than a usual std battery but I found it at my local dealer for $179.00 approx. My '04 Prius has over 135,000 miles and one heck of a reliable hybrid. Winters here in N.W. Indiana are extreem and the Prius has proven to be worthy of the challange.
  • lineflyer9lineflyer9 Member Posts: 1
    DO NOT leave your key hidden in your Prius car. It will continue to talk to your computer back and forth and drain your battery.
    This must be pertaining only to the "Smart Key" fob cuzz my standard key fob is going on 8 1/2 yrs (original batterys) with no problems. I leave it in every night (in the garage of course) 136 K miles and lovin it!!