Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• akollerakoller Member Posts: 15
    Wow, you WERE pushing it for sure. I plan to tow a boat with motor and trailer totaling about 700 pounds tops, including al the gear. When I do that, I won't be pushing for any speed and will keep a close eye on how it handles. Worst case, I guess I'd have to add some kind of second vehicle just to pull a small boat around, and I really don't want to do that, but I also don't want to ruin what I consider one of the best cars I've ever owned.

It helped to have your input; so thanks for making time to reply.

Al Koller
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    An old rule of thumb my grand-pappy once told me was....never pull more than 1/4 to 1/3 the weight of your vehicle. Unfortunitly Toyota does not recommend any towing with the Prius. I personaly think my grand-pappy made sense.
  • muttlovermuttlover Member Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase a Prius. Either a 2007 or
    perhaps a 2008. Anyway, I want to find out who has
    installed a pet/dog barrier that actually works with a
    Prius and not hard to install.

Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • greycat64greycat64 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Prius with navi. I want to take advantage of the Bluetooth but I only do prepay phones. The pickings are slim for prepay. Is anyone working under the same conditions? My research has provided me with these choices.
    AT&T - Motorola Razr V3, Pantech c3b or Nokia 6201i
    T-Mobile - Motorola V195 or Nokia 6103
  • tsmith3139tsmith3139 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Prius and would like to know if anyone knows where I can buy a hood cover (bra) for it? Apparently Toyota doesn't offer one nor did my dealer in Tempe, AZ. Thanks!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I use a Virgin Mobile Nokia 6275i. It works just fine with the Prius Bluetooth.
    Thanks for the info. I have Virgin Mobile currently. However in the USA, they do not offer any bluetooth phones such as the Nokia 6275i. Don't know why the offerings are so different.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Does the Nokia 6275i load the phone book as well as make calls?
    I have a Sony T-608 that does both quite well.
    Which carrier uses that phone?
    It is an older Sprint phone (limited edition) that I was able to convert to Verizon. The only problem is that it occasionally fails on making the first call of the day. Re dialing always solves that problem until the next time you start the car.
    Hmmm. How does that conversion process work? I won't use the Verizon pre-paid service because it is too expensive for my needs.
  • jana6jana6 Member Posts: 17
    Since I do have the navigation system in my Prius (Touring 2007), any comments or suggestions about tinting my windows? I live in NV and would love to better protect the inside but was told I need to be careful about tinting the windows-something about the tint not having metal in it (or something like that).

Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Metallic tints can interfere with signal reception. Want to be sure you're not going to kill your nav.
  • toddravtoddrav Member Posts: 1
    I'd seperate the phone from the plan. Find a used bluetooth phone that you like, then pop in the SIM card for your prepaid service. If you ask around, I bet a friend has a last generation phone that will meet your needs. If the phone is not from the same carrier, you can get it unlocked to work with any carrier.
    From other owners postings, the Nav doesn't seem to be affected much by window tinting. If you are worried, and want good tinting as well, go for the "Huber Optik" tint. It's supposed to be a ceramic tint, not metal.
    Or just buy an unlocked phone to start with. Most are GSM units, so that would be AT&T and a few other service providers. Celluloco and others sell lots of different models. Just search on the internet. The Toyota site has a section that advises which are suitable for use with the Prius.
  • miltjwmiltjw Member Posts: 1
    I've been hearing about configuring the Prius so that it can supply about 3kw of 120v power to household appliances in the event of a storm outage.

Any takers?
  • kooshiakooshia Member Posts: 3
    Are you for real? The beeping is much more likely to cause distraction. The back up camera is another issue, it works. You can't really be that unable to think. Social workers....
  • 02priusdallas02priusdallas Member Posts: 2
    OK, you don't buy a prius for creature comforts, but in the 02, the cup holders and center console storage configuration aren't that great. You don't want to take a corner too fast with a hot cup of coffee in either of the cupholders, and the center storage is one big bin, which means you really can't sort anything, it's all in a vertical pile, and then where do you hang the plastic bag you use for trash and put the kleenex box??? Did I say we were a little high maintenance?
    We went to the local parts store looking for one of those aftermarket console things you set in the middle and put stuff in. None of them fit very well.

Has anyone found a good brand? It would be nice not to have stuff on the floor.
  • mfruinmfruin Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 prius and want to gat a mat/liner that will fit the entire rear with back seats folded down. You see I have 2 german shepherds who like to ride and want to keep my car nice. Can anyone help me with this. My dealer said they were available but couldn't tell me where. Michael
  • edmajredmajr Member Posts: 1
    Coastal Tech has a number of options to access additional features of the installed options.

This link is for the XM radio option.

http://coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm

Its pricy, but it does work with the factory display, and the antenna installs inside the car.
    I'm waiting for my order to arrive. Wiii update with additional info if can help.

Ed
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    I have a brand new 2008 Prius with Package #5 w Nav...

I want to get the kit so that the head unit controls the iPod. I don't want the Dice unit!!

My question is I was told I only need a cable that connects to the Head unit rear AUX port to the glove box which has the iPod connector?

I have called 4 dealers, which all seem clueless, I even called Toyota corp and asked what do I need to connect an iPod to the Head unit. They responded with the port on the front of the radio? What port? I know about the mini din jack in the center console, but that won't charge or control the iPod from the head unit.

So does anyone have any information? I search the net and they say Toyota has a kit for the new 2008 cars, yet no one knows anything about it.

Thanks for any help

Dil
  • carz89carz89 Member Posts: 16
    I parked my Prius this morning along the waterfront in Point Loma, San Diego, but could not lock my doors in the typical fashion (by pushing the square black button on the door handle). I tried the secondary method of locking the doors with the remote. Nothing working. I had to lock the car with the tertiary method of the door lock switch inside the door. Just then, I turned around and noticed an aircraft carrier returning to port about 1/2 mile away, with it's surface search, air search and navigational radars operating. To confirm my suspicions, I asked a coworker who drives a Prius to come out and try to unlock his car remotely. His keyfob didn't work either, nor did the "touch sensors" on his door handles.

After the ship passed well out of view, we tried our remotes and "touch sensor" methods again, and this time they worked. I think my theory is confirmed that powerful ship radars will interfere with the frequencies used by the remote keyfob. I'm sure there are other sources of electromagnetic energy besides ship radars that could result in the same interference.

Anyone know what exact frequency the keyfobs operate in? Knowing that, we might be able to narrow it down to the exact radar causing the problem.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    I got some rubber floor mats today from Costco - they are not custom, but will work great for the wet winter ahead. 4 mats, $18!! and they are pretty decent quality - the rubber is nice. I cut my drivers side mat a little, maybe 1" on each side, near the front, to fit better.

I will also be looking for other things, l like you guys.

sc
  • rscharfrscharf Member Posts: 1
    Neo Ion makes an iPod connection kit that's worked great on my last two Honda Pilots. I just traded my 2005 Pilot in and got a 2008 Prius (Package 6) but on the Neo Ion site, it says that the 2008 version is NOT available yet.

I did find this site which says it IS available:
    http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=3337

I'm contacting both companies to see which is correct.
  • catringoscatringos Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add stability control to a Prius aftermarket? If it is possible, I'd appreciate any advice on how to do so.

I am also considering adding a sunroof and cruise control aftermarket. Is there any reason why anyone would recommend not adding these options aftermarket? Does anyone know if these additions would affect the warranty?

Thank you,

Bob
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You cannot add stability control in the aftermarket. I wouldn't let anyone cut a hole in my roof either (other than the factory), although I suppose someone could do it (might be a little problematic with the Prius' "double bubble" roof). Cruise control should be doable. I would think the warranty would be unaffected unless the aftermarket installation causes a factory-installed item to go bad.
    My nephew Bruce, added leather seats and a sunroof to his Prius in CA, 2-3 years ago.
    He would be glad to answer any questions.
  • cleblanccleblanc Member Posts: 45
    This may be a little late but i highly recommend the one made by VAISTECH. I have the SLI unit in my 2007 Lexus ES350. They make them for Lexus and Toyota. They are a great company and it's a great product.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Any problem adding aftermarket electronics to a hybrid like a Prius? I want to be able to use the Prius for family trips but fact is my kids like to watch tv on long trips and that makes the trip better for all of us! Any problem adding electric drains like a video player/TV? I assume not but thought I would check.
  • tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    A friend of mine gave me the site for coastal etech because he thought I might be interested in a computer chip they sell for 45 bucks. Supposedly it increases the mph from 20 to about 34 before the gas engine kicks in. Sounds great but I have a feeling that it would void the warranty. I assume I am correct?
    Got the car yesterday...simply amazing.
    Tom
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Run, don't walk, away from that!
    The "E" (electric only) chip comes pre-installed in Japan and England. The purpose is to keep the gasoline engine from coming on thereby allowing more use of the battery/electric motor. If the battery is fully charged AND I'm on level ground AND I don't go more than 32 mph AND I don't suddenly step on the gas, the car will run all electric until any one of those conditions fails. The furthest I could go was about 1/2 mile so the accessory is useless except to give all electric demos. I installed it in 2005 and haven't even turned it on in over three years. The next generation will have that and Li-Ion batteries that will enable a few miles of gasoline free driving with a plug in charger to fully charge the batteries the night before. Great if you drive 5 miles round trip per day on flat roads. Skip it for now.
  • tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    Yeah, I thought it would be a waste. Thank for the input everybody.
  • simihillssimihills Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to cancel the Reset if it is accidentally touched? I would have prefered something requiring a more deliberate action for resetting my mileage calculation. I accidentally hit several times when switching between the Climate Control and Consumption screen (the temp buttons are located in the same general area).

AJH
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Sorry but that's a bit of an aggrivation I've experienced also and there's nadda to do. Guess its just the quirks of this tech age we've come to deal with. Getting used to the screen is abit frustrating and irritating. The Prius is so different that it takes some time to get used to. My wife refuses to use the steering wheel adjustments .....she says they're to distracting. I, on the other hand, use them all the time. I just wish there were a fan control on it.
  • bc14bc14 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know of a tint shop around Chicago that uses Formula One Pinnacle?
  • cindyb2cindyb2 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought our Prius and love it. We want to install XM radio. Any suggestions?
    I'd like to do this also.. waiting for the posts on this.

sc
  • momsageekmomsageek Member Posts: 8
    Is your prius radio set up for the factory satellite radio?
    Don't think the radio is set up - but maybe if I remove it, I'd just like to plug into the AUX port.

sc
  • maverick15maverick15 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up an 08 Prius here in Anchorage, AK two weeks back and I love it. However, we have a bit of gravel on the roads from recent snow and its kicking up on the front outside fenders as I drive.
    Anyone have any experience/problems with adding mud flaps and side moldings to the Prius? Toyota doesn't offer either, but I have seen third party products. [Don't know if the mud flaps and/or moldings would cause much change to the gas mileage so that Toyota doesn't offer them.

Thank you for any assistance.
    I got them for my 2004 in early 2005. You can get them from a Toyota dealer in Canada or from http://coastaletech.com/mudflaps.htm
    They fit fine but some easy drilling was required.
  • cindyb2cindyb2 Member Posts: 2
    I don't think it is?? Someone recommended a $295 kit that will interface with the touch screen. It is ordered from the DC area.
  • m2mazda6m2mazda6 Member Posts: 20
    When I test drove a Prius and talked to the salesman he said you really need to add the rear bumper protecter on it, does anybody have this? He said it cost $100. I think I could get one myself and put on for a lot less
  • djkrs2djkrs2 Member Posts: 7
    I have one on mine. It's basically a protective decal that keeps the top of the bumper from getting scratched up. I think it looks pretty good on my white care. Mine was part of the package 3 when I got it, or they added it but I didn't really have a choice. If you slide things out of the back it could help from scratching up the bumper. You probably could put it on yourself.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    I just bought a 2008 Touring Prius (PKG 6) and as I was driving from work the other day, a small rock hit my windshield (glass window) and it needs to be replaced. Toyota wants over $1,000.00 to replace it. The guy around the corner will replace it, but it will not be the original for about $285.00. Should I buy the original or settle for the regular glass? I read somewhere that we should stick with the original parts. However, this is a lot of money for a windshield glass window. I am planning to keep this car until it dies on me.

If anyone wants to give me your advice you are more than welcome. And if you had this experience with a new car let me know, too.
    Thanks in advance.
    PRUSA cry:
    Tell Toyota to shove it. $300 is about right and it will be the equivalent of what it came with. Make sure the top is tinted if your original was. If you show Toyota the estimate, they will correct their mistake and do it for $400. They probably send it out to be done, sometimes to the same guy.
This discussion has been closed.