Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Accessories & Modifications

1234568»

Comments

• maxwell_maxwell_ Member Posts: 2
    I saw an ad for pulse plugs (made by Pulstar) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these things. They're suppose to improve fuel efficiency, but they're pretty expensive.

The only discussion I've seen on the internet about them was on muscle car enthusiast forums. They were more concerned about hp gains, hardly mentioned gpm at all.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    I think it was Phineas. T. Barnum who said, "a sucker is born every minute".
    Which goes hand-in-hand with the old proverb, " a fool and his money are soon parted".
    Spark plugs are most probably the least important component in the ignition system. That is, you could use almost ANY brand of spark plug and get almost the same result. Some plugs are different in that they offer resistance to radio interference, or platinum tips for long life.
    But a basic spark plug in the correct heat range will work just as well as a "super duper" spark plug costing X times MORE than a basic OEM plug.
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!
  • maxwell_maxwell_ Member Posts: 2
    6 days and only one snarky remark.

I think I'm taking this question somewhere else.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Yea they are great plugs and I think you should buy them. You will get at least another 5 mpg by using them. There are you happy that you heard what you want. :P
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Hey Max, if you WANT to buy 'em, then BUY THEM!
    Just don't expect them to take out the garbage, and fold your clothes.
    They are JUST spark plugs!
    If you are trying to get better mileage then make SURE the tires are properly inflated ( NOT 55psi ), and you by-pass drive thu windows.
    Also, wear your tiny right foot for the accelerator.
    I am not one who thinks everything can be "cured" by taking a "pill". Life is more challenging.
    Sorry for the "snarkyness". As Jack Webb used to say, "just the facts ma'am".
  • shawnswifieshawnswifie Member Posts: 2
    This just happened this week I can use my key if I place it into the spot in the car to start it, but if I pull it out or try to start it with it being in my purse(as I usually do) it wont start??i can unlock if i use the unlock botton but i can not lock from just pushing the dot onthe doot handle. anyone know what to do? Does it need to be reprogramed or something??very frustrating!! thanks!!
    cheryl
  • sthogesthoge Member Posts: 28
    Check the disable switch under the steering column. It's possible the switch got bumped or something and turned off. This disables the sensors for when you aren't going to be using the vehicle for a long time to prevent running the battery down.
  • eric60eric60 Member Posts: 1
    Have you either found an answer for this, or have found out how to open it yourself? I have a similar problem, although slightly more embarrassing. My panic button is stuck down, and constantly causes my car to enter panic mode. I've also disassembled my key to the point of taking out the battery, but can't figure out how to get any farther than that.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide!

Eric
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I had a recent problem with my FOB for my 2004 Prius. I live in the Rockies at 8,000 ft. elevation. When driving to Chicago (sea level) the FOB buttons stayed down. I was ready to order a replacement but a day after driving back to Aspen the FOB was again working perfectly.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Thats funny as I had a problem with my HHR we tow behind our motorhome in Estes Park, Co. Push button to lock door and the lock button on the inside of the door wouldn't go down about half the time all though the door did lock, it worked all the time in Mi. Got back home to Mi. and no more problems. And a year later still going strong.
  • darklordlarrydarklordlarry Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem -- a button stuck down. (It's the one that unlocks the doors, so every time I walk within 15 feet of the car, the doors unlock).

I am unwilling to pay the Toyota stealership $400 for a new FOB and programming charge ... but the lady at the desk said to open up the FOB and try manually unsticking the button once inside.

But how do you open it? I am at the same place ... battery compartment open, but no apparent way to get into the guts of it to get near the button. Did you ever figure this out?
  • lam216lam216 Member Posts: 1
    We also had the same non-working button issue. However we received 2 fobs when we bought the car. So I figured the non-working one was going to be the sacrificial lamb:
    After removing the spare metal key, then figuring out how to open the outer cover to the battery compartment (not exactly user friendly!) I removed the battery cover & battery. From this point the fob is not designed to be opened in a way to be easily reclosed after opening. I inserted a screwdriver into the spare key slot & whacked it good. The two halved split apart with some forcing effort. These two halves are glued together! Toyota doesn't want you in here- they want your $400 bucks instead! The circuit board can then be pried out with a fine screwdriver or knife. After cleaning the buttons & compartment pretty well, we were lucky - the button was no longer stuck. On a less complicated fob for my Explorer I was able to unsolder a good unused switch (trunk option) and replace the broken old switch & it worked like a charm. However the switches on the Prius fob are really tiny with really tiny tabs soldered to one side of the circuit board only and look very hard to try that switcheroo. I'm glad I didn't have to try that unsolder/resolder task! Now it should just take some good superglue & rubber band clamping to glue it back together. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.