Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300: Accessories & Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited September 2014 in Chrysler
Talk about 300 accessories and modifications here.

Comments

• yak54yak54 Member Posts: 72
    Has anyone changed to better tires yet?
  • autoguyautoguy Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone added any wind piece (memory blank for the proper name) infront of the moonroof?

What about any other add ons to the exterior?
  • crispiegeecrispiegee Member Posts: 90
    Has anyone found a better front license plate bracket?

I'd like to find one that mounts lower, so the plate doesn't block the grill.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    can one mount it behind the grille? :)
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    Nice suggestion.

Has anyone adopted some new tires or rims? I'm not talking about the gigantic over-chromed spinners..... I'm referring to a tuner style or something more elegant.
    Hey, cops mount blue and reds behind their grilles, why can't we mount a license plate there, especially since 300C's grille is so easy to see through? :)

Actually front license plate would be a no issue for me since I am in Florida.
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    Unfortunately its not the same way up here in MN.. Although I've not had a front license plate for 5 months now and there's been no problems.

Wonder how you could mount it? Zip-ties would be kinda tacky.. Maybe if you could remove the front grill you could take a couple of stainless sheetmetal screws and drill them into the back grill (as long as the holes matched up with the bars it should be easy. Anyone know if this is legal in MN or other states?
  • dennisdennis Member Posts: 50
    "Anyone know if this is legal in MN or other states?"

This would be worse than no license plate at all in California.
    how about that idea? Flip the visor down and you have the plate.
  • lowriderlowrider Member Posts: 9
    Yak...I too am looking for better rims/tires. Go to www.tirerack.com...they have not updated their site yet for the 2005 300C but will very soon...at this site you can choose rims while looking at your car (with your color) and choose designs in a virtual world.
  • ssshemissshemi Member Posts: 14
    Here is what I did on my CTS. I have a custom bar style on the lower grill, should work on any style.
    Got a 1/3 size plate holder from Pep Boys. Put plate on by two long plastic screws on bottom tightened with plastic nuts. Put soft velcro on back of plate and holder, everywhere it would touch bumper. Then stuck the screws through the lower grill and hand tightened second pair of plastic screws. I can add or remove the holder by opening the hood.
    I'll have to wait until I get my 3ooC (on order) to see how I can do it.
    I want one I can put on and off easily because I don't like the way they look on the front of cars. I know that police issue citations at convention centers, stadiums, airports etc. for no front plate, that's when I put mine on.
  • crispiegeecrispiegee Member Posts: 90
    This may be it, guys.

The salesman at one of my local Chrysler dealer (who is fighting for my business against another Chrysler dealer - ha!) talked to the service manager about the license plate conundrum.

They said that they can employ the rubber grommets used on the front bumper of the Jeep Wrangler to mount the plate lower on the bumper.

It was based on my suggestion that there must be some kind of doughnut shaped grommet that would fit. Isn't this ingenious? I'm pretty sure it will work.

Let me know what you think.
  • analogtekanalogtek Member Posts: 4
    Is there a way around the 130 MPH limit imposed by the governor on the 300C yet?

Is there an aftermarket performance chip available for the 300C yet?
  • garnes1garnes1 Member Posts: 33
    Probably no "chips". I don't think I'd pursue that route.

However, I'd call Corsa about an exhaust system for this car. They already have a Hemi system for the trucks, and last I talked to them, they are interested in developing a system for this car. They first need to get one in their shop. If anyone lives in the Cleveland area, give them a call. Check them out at http://www.corsaperf.com Anybody that's not familiar with them should note that their system are used on a lot of the pace cars. They are the best. See what they have done for Cadillac. Wow.

I have one of their systems and all I can say is that it's the greatest and they know how to tune one of these things for a luxury sport car.

I'm sure a free breathing intake will come around too.
  • epfatboyepfatboy Member Posts: 17
    I'd like to see a chip for this car that would improve the shift points just a little AND turn off the ESP when I say turn it off. I know you can get a custom chip built to improve shift points and timing advance, I'm not sure if you can make it alter the ESP.
  • jeepjeep Member Posts: 86
    Does anyone know if there are any wheel locks available for the 300C's 18" wheels?
    I have ordered mud flaps for my 300C (Deep Lava Red). To my suprise, they can get black or have them painted to match the car color...oh yeah!
  • trashman2trashman2 Member Posts: 44
    where did you order the flaps from. was they made for the 3ooc.
  • mark_amark_a Member Posts: 22
    You can order the splash guards right from the dealer. Here's the the part numbers, 82208031 for the front and 82208032 for the rear.
    You can look them up on www.mopar.com
  • ssshemissshemi Member Posts: 14
    I don't recommend you get them painted. I had the ones on my CTS painted and the paint is now starting to peel. I was told by the guy in the body shop that it would happen, I didn't care, now I do.
    ssshemi

Thanks for your comment...curious about your conditions. Were your mud flaps hard or rubbery??? I think the 300C has both thermoplastic and thermoset (rubber) materials which give them both hard and rubber feel. Not sure the orientation???

Anyway, is your paint peeling from the back edge toward bottom or sides and then working its way in???

If you could do this over again, it sounds like you would stick with the basic black flaps????
  • epfatboyepfatboy Member Posts: 17
    Anyone heard of Chrysler actually releasing a chip and injectors for the 300C? I was reading a different site that said Chysler was putting together a chip and injector kit to boost HP 50 ponies! 0-60 times would be mid 4's and 1/4 mile in the high 12's. Chysler has stated in the past that the engine has much more potential, 390 horse would be awsome!
  • bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    Does anybody know if there is a performance air filter out there for a 300 C Hemi? I checked with K&N but they don't have one yet. I have put them in all of my cars (K&N) and every time I get 2 if not 3 miles to the gallon better mileage, and 5 to 10 hp more.

As for polish, Zaino is where it's at! I learned this in the 300M site. This is extraordinary stuff! Just don't think you need to cake it on, and you apply it in up and down motions, not a swirl! Take it off in a circular motion. I just did my Hemi Sunday wash and wax in an hour with Zaino.

Enjoy the ride!
  • cobragmikecobragmike Member Posts: 21
    The K&N number is 33-2543 just ordered one myself. Apparently, it is the same size as the Bentley K&N filter. Planned or coincidence? Who knows...
    Thanks a lot for the info, did you go directly to them on line, or did you go to a car store. etc. I really appreciate you including the order number too, thanks! Next time I see you, the drinks are on me!
  • itshemiitshemi Member Posts: 32
    What was the site you
     read?
    I ordered mine through: http://www.4filters.com/knfilters.htm

It's on it's way to me now, cost was $44 shipped. One of the members of another 300Cforum did a bunch of measuring and research and found out this nice little tid bit... I'll let you know if I find out anything else. Glad to help.
    It's now official cobragmike, you are the coolest guy goin'. Next time I see you it's drinks and dinner on me. Thanks very much for all your help, the filter has been ordered as per your instruction. We'll let everybody know how it works! Regards!
  • herminioherminio Member Posts: 11
    Yes, the OEM wheel locks part number is 82208724
    That is the part number listed, however, they don't fit. The center cover will not seat properly with these locks. Does anyone have an updated number?
  • sandbaggersandbagger Member Posts: 16
    I have a 300C with the upgraded radio with nav. but not the Sirius Radio. Is it possible to add it on after? At the dealership?
    Does anyone have Sirius and how do they work?
    P.S. I'm in Canada.
    The car I bought has the Sirius. I wasn't looking for this option, however, the car had everything else I wanted, and as you know, you take what you can at this time.

I am very impressed with Sirius. I drove round trip from Pa. to NC several weeks ago and it worked flawlessly. What was really great was not having to constantly look for my type of entertainment as you go through different areas. Nice clear reception at all times. Only a bit of negligent signal loss from the satellites near certain areas near my home. These areas are tightly wooded with abundant huge trees, which I guess block out the signal.

When the yearly free subscription is up, I will have to decide whether I will fork over the $12.95 per month to continue the subscription. Since I am retired, I don't commute as I used to, so I'm not sure whether I want the extra bill. It's like paying a cable tv bill and you hardly watch tv.
  • trashman2trashman2 Member Posts: 44
    click on sportwing.com picture of a 300 with spoiler
    I sure don't pretend to know anything more than the folks at K&N, but this "Bentley" filter is exactly the size that Daimler put in the 300C. It fits perfectly! I'll let you all know what it does for performance and mileage in about a week. Thanks again cobragmike for your kind assistance!
    My pleasure, we got ours in also. It fits just fine. However, I have heard the electronics will not adjust to the added air flow without computer tuning. New timing and fuel curve to take advantage of added airflow. Have to wait for new chip or programmer options.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    Not sure if that is correct. As you drive from one part of the country to another, gaining or losing altitude, season to season, the computer has to do some adjusting. If it can retard timing for lower octane fuel, it just about has to do something for the amount of air passing through. I can't believe that engine electronics would have taken a step backward.
  • dennisdennis Member Posts: 50
    Yuck
  • sandbaggersandbagger Member Posts: 16
    I'm overwhelmed by all the responses to my radio question. Thanks everyone for all your help. What a great web site!
    I haven't noticed as big of a boost in H.P. and added hustle as I have when I installed it in all of my other cars. I will wait and see what it does for fuel economy. I have noticed alittle burp in throttle response. Cobramike, your the committee of one to figure this techno stuff out 'cause I'm a banker and have NO apptitude for this kind of stuff! I'll get you a cheap mortgage along with dinner and drinks. Thanks in advance for your help.
    dkrhardy is correct. You get large variations in air flow due to elevation changes. Look, at sea level, atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi. At 5000 feet, it drops to 12.2 psi. That's a 17% drop in pressure and equates to a huge change in air flow. In addition, as a filter gets dirty, the change in air flow at WOT is significantly reduced. Temperature also makes a huge difference in the total amount of air flow (mass). The MAF sensor can measure all these wide ranges of variation and the computer adjusts accordingly. The difference in flow from a free flowing air filter is very small compared to environmental differences. I'm sure the car can compensate.

That said, that doesn't mean the K&N will necessarily help. If the intake is designed such that a large effective area of the filter is utilized, a paper filter may perform as well as a K&N. It just depends on the overall air requirement of the engine and the intake design.

Since the pressure drop across the filter is a function of the approach velocity squared, the importance of utilizing a large filter area is important. Furthermore, I'm sure the K&N filter media has a lower loss coefficient than paper. The bottom line is that for cars that require an air flow at WOT (top end) that translates to a high approach velocity, the K&N will help a little. For a system where the approach velocity is slower, it just won't matter much because the pressure loss number never gets big enough to be much of a factor anyway.

I've dyno tested my car with and without a K&N a bunch of different times and it did help - about 6 HP at the wheels. But it was top end only. Up to 4500 rpm or so, the gain was very small. The car - an Aurora with the 4.0 DOHC V8 that revs to 6200. GM uses the same panel filter on the 3800 V6 that revs lower too, and the panel filter for the 3100 is about the same size too. Now, the pressure loss across the filter for each of these cars is not going to be the same. As you can see, it is possible the larger, higher revving engine may indeed utilize the filter at a point where the approach velocity (V^2) starts to get big.

Sorry, butt dynos don't really mean anything.

Also - about mileage. I don't see how a K&N will help mileage. For a given rate of speed or a given rate of acceleration, a specific amount of air/fuel is required. That doesn't change assuming same conditions each time. Now, if the filter doesn't flow as freely, the throttle body simply needs to be opened up a tad more to compensate. Basically, your throttle body position is the ultimate/final control of air flow. Your car does not know if the filter is dirty and the TB is open 2% more for the required task, or the filter is clean and closed 2% more. Under WOT conditions or near WOT, then yes, the filter condition will make a difference in the amount of power that can be made.

Anybody interested to read to the end of this rambling post should also consider an exhaust system and call Corsa to encourage them to develop something for this car. Their systems are incredible and they know how to design for a luxury sports car. Believe me, I have one of their systems. It's a treat every day. See my post number 14 or 15 here.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the report. I think most of us are not too concerned with MPG, we are driving a HEMI, but a bit-o-boost at WOT is what may be the bonus. Oops, that is .... for ME! Just me! If I get 6 HP when I want/need it, that is good. If you allow easier entrance, you need to allow easier exit. I agree that a decent exhaust is needed to compliment any intake. Easy in = easy out. Too much at either "end" will cause a loss of top end or low end. I like the subdued sound of the C, I would like a bit more punch, but not at the expense of a loud/droning exhaust. :-)
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Can't wait for a cold air intake.
    I'm graduating Aug. 20 with a masters in Banking, so I admit I dont know dicky do about cars, only that I love my 300CHemi! I'm glad there are techno guys like many of you that can explain to a rube like me all the nomenclature about cars. Just assume that I I'll get it and we'll all feel better. Thanks for the complete explanation. I'll check the mileage, as i HAVE done better in other cars. I'll also take 6 more h.p. at what ever end of the rev range.
    There is no way to know if the K&N would add any power really. You would have to put the car on a dyno and test it back to back. Even that can be a little tricky. If the fluids are not fully up to temp, then the viscosity of the various engine fluids (oil, tranny fluid..) will put a drag on the engine and rob a little power.

Doing a test on the dyno is a total rush. It is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it. But since you are putting the engine through the paces, I'd wait until it is broken in and use Mobil 1 oil for the test.

Another thing to consider, for cars like the 300, it is supposed to be a luxury ride, so the intake and exhaust are usually not the most free flowing. A wide open box that utilizes a lot of filter area may resonate too much and be loud. To make sure the air box has great air flow capabilities and is also quiet would probably require a very large box - one that also lets the inflow jet of air a chance to expand it's flow path to the larger filter area. It would need to be double walled to insulate the resonations. (which I have seen done). In short, it's not a very practical design for under-hood layouts, so there is some compromise.

The exhaust - on a car like the 300, it guaranteed to be pretty restrictive with well baffled mufflers and not so large piping. Luxury quiet is more the goal. Again, large diameter piping can resonate some noise and the baffles in the mufflers kill all the exhaust sound, but also kill flow. What happens is that more power from the upstroke of the piston is actually used to push the exhaust through the restrictive system and less power gets to the crank - and thus the wheels.

Hence there is usually some nice power gains to be unlocked in the intake and exhaust of such a car.

I love the idea of a luxury ride with a very powerful engine and a sporty exhaust note. It's probably not the majority of sport/luxury buyers, but it's for me. Again, Corsa already has a HEMI system for the trucks, and they just need a 300 to build a prototype and digitize it. They put a lot of time in adjusting the exhaust note just right too.

Oh, by the way, if you saw a 6 HP gain at the wheels, that translates to about 7.5 or 8 HP at the engine - the number quoted by the manufacturer. You lose about 20 to 25% of the power through the drive line.

Typically, an exhaust upgrade will make the biggest power improvements too.
  • dstealth2dstealth2 Member Posts: 2
    hello,is there a lowering kits for the 300,ive seen a few thats been lowered but i cannot find a kit
  • 300c4me300c4me Member Posts: 4
    Eibach will have its 300/C pro-kit springs out in a month or so, which will lower the vehicle 1.5 inches all around.
  • mikemullin6mikemullin6 Member Posts: 16
    Last time I checked with my dealer, it wasn't available for the 300's. Supposedly, coming soon but no details on what it will, and will not, add to the security system. Sounds like a bare bones remote start with no bells or whistles like some aftermarket systems (Viper)
  • dstealth2dstealth2 Member Posts: 2
    thankyou for the info,if you hear of anything sooner please dont hesitate
  • pinkfloyd999pinkfloyd999 Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I have a 300C with the 6-CD changer in the dash. Any ideas whether it can be reasonably upgraded with the Nav system?
    Anyone actually done this (presumably since I already have the 6-CD unit, I won't pay the full nav unit price/upgrade from the single CD unit)...

Thanks
    Tony.
  • lcolelcole Member Posts: 8
    I have done some checking with Alpine and chrysler's sites. Everything kept coming up the full price. I'll keep checking and let you know if I find anything worth while. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.