Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xA Prices Paid & Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
edited March 2014 in Scion
Welcome, Post your ScionxA experiences here.

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter wants to interview Scion drivers who live outside of California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information by 5pm Eastern on tuesday, June 1, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • sawyermlsawyerml Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

I am currently looking to buy an 2005 ECHO or XA- but I am torn! I am looking for owners' pearls of wisdom, likes, dislikes, pleasant surprises and disappointments with both cars. The ECHO seems sensible, good for zipping around town, and has great cargo room (I am a teacher). The XA appeals to my 25 y/o sense of "stylishness" (the whole Gen. Y thing, I suppose) and safety (ABS and airbags)- it is also less expensive.

All that said, my practical side still tugs me toward the ECHO. Can you help? ECHO owners: what has your experience been driving the ECHO. Has anyone made any 400+ mile trips in either (I like to take impromptu, "travel-light" road trips). XA owners: do you find you have enough cargo room and passenger room? What has the resale experiences been like.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    I don't own either, but have researched both fairly extensively.

The xA certainly comes with more std features, but it gives up some fuel economy. If you're trying to compare the xA to a 4 door automatic ECHO the price difference is substantial.
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I bought an xA 2 weeks ago and I love it. My experience with an Echo is limited to a rental car I drove around Minneapolis for a week. I really like the hatchback configuration because I can put very large things back there that would never fit in a car with a trunk (even with a pass-through). Also: very nice seats with side bolstering; very good handling for an inexpensive car; excellent sound system. The gas mileage difference is negligible: use synthetic oil, put a few extra lbs. of air in the tires and drive carefully and you will make up the difference.
    I don't see anything about the Echo that makes it more practical. With the xA you get more useable space, better handling, better looks (in my opinion) and a whole lot of extra equipment for a lot LESS money. Can you say "NO BRAINER" ???
  • jmascarojmascaro Member Posts: 2
  • jmascarojmascaro Member Posts: 2
    I purchased 2005 Certified Used Scion. 7/31/05. from dealer in Ocala Florida. Confident I could trust and rely on Scion's slogan "TRUE PRICING - NO NEGOTIATION". Scion N.A. regional office said indiviaully owned dealers can charge whatever they want.
    I learned a hard lesson - paid $1,000.00 above 2006 new Scion because I believed what was written.

Have no recourse - am stuck. I love the car but sure hope KARMA gets sales group big time. Would like to know if anyone else got taken besides me.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    "TRUE PRICING - NO NEGOTIATION".

You bought a used Scion. I believe the true pricing only applies to new Scions.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    You bought a used car without first turning your head to look at the window sticker of a new one parked a few feet away?

Don't blame them.
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    Exactly. Why wouldn't you do the research before dropping over $10k on something? The used ones everywhere right now price the same as the retail ones.

I bought mine for $15k in April new on the lot, had priced them both... even went to carmax first to see what I could get for my Honda instead of using it as a trade because dealerships always lowball your trade value.

This was totally your own(original used car poster) oversight. :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I got a price for an 2006 xA with XM radio, cargo mats, cargo tote, armrest, carpet mats, Indigo Blue with manual trans for out the door (includes 7.75 sales tax and all license fees) of $15, 255.
  • tonytonytonytony Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy one right now 2006 xA AUTO with no extra. How much would i pay? 14100?
  • cars_emcars_em Member Posts: 1
    I recently went to a Toyota dealership and test-drove the new 2006 Scion xA, AUTO. Without any extra options which I believe there are enough standard options to satisfy, the price turned out to be around 15,000 plus taxes and such. I was very surprised to find out that the scion's slogan is No Negotiations (:confuse:) . Hope this is a general price for other Toyota/Scion dealerships around.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and test drove a 2006 Polar White Scion xA with a manual transmission. The price was $14,195, before tax and license. It did include some extras, like fog lights and i-Pod and Sirius-ready radio, etc.

I was impressed with the car in the test drive and wouldn't rule out a possible purchase later. I'm not sure that Polar White is my favorite color of xA, but it looked good.

One thing the salesman offered was to get wheels at a nearby Tire and Wheel store and add them up in the total financed. I hadn't heard of this one yet. The usual plan is that they are supposed to sell you Scion's fancy wheels, such as the EP-10's, and they are kind of pricey. This plan of getting them elsewhere(they're located right down the street from the Scion dealer)would save me some money. I was impressed by that, too.

I'm gonna keep them in mind. I asked them when the next xA shipment comes in and he said about 45 days from then(that was about a week ago).

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• wishingwishing Member Posts: 1
    I have both seen and driven the Toyota XA...and I absolutly (LOVE) this vehicle. My head has rarely been turned by a new automobile made by anyone...this one is exceptional. I now secretly dream of ownership. Mybe one of theses days, I will be able to afford one. Now I am back in college at the age of 39...and will just have to drool over everyone else driving one. What a wonderful car. Horray.....TOYOTA :)
  • madmunckinmadmunckin Member Posts: 1
    Scion North Hollywood promised me they had the Scion XA I wanted in stock, and told me to come on over. They even offered to give me a call, promising to alert me if they situation changed. I drove from Santa Monica to the Valley in Memorial day traffic to get my car, only to be told that it was sold hours before I even called the first time. Then they tried to sell me another Scion which was not the one I came for. This bait and switch will be reported to the Better Business Bureau. There are plenty other dealerships, I recommend any other than Toyota North Hollywood.
  • js34js34 Member Posts: 4
    Put a white xA manual on order last week. Said it would take a week. Came in as said. Checked it over and told them to finish it up for delivery this week. $13320 then add 6.25 tax and plates and out the door she goes.

I think the whole process is pretty much set to work with as little to do as possible. Its the dealer and salesperson you work with that can mesh or grind with you.

My Toyota/Scion dealer is a BMW dealer as well.. Good place. People all but on a show face.

But proof's in the pudding I say. Been spot-on so far. But I also know I chose a base radio that has a 6/05 mfg date and I may be looking at a scanning radio problem. We'll see how they do IF that problem surfaces...

Otherwise I feel they will grease the wheels as much as I to keep problems from becoming problems. ;)
  • scieduc8torscieduc8tor Member Posts: 6
    My soon to be husband and I are torn between getting a 2006 Aveo and a 2006 Toyota Scion XA. We have researched both and know that we get more bang for our buck on the Aveo but the Scion did slightly better in gas while the Aveo did better in the crash test ratings. If anyone wants to let us know your opinions, experiences, or thoughts, please do!! We need the help!! :shades:
  • mrcheap666mrcheap666 Member Posts: 7
    I was looking to lease an xA and wanted to find out if anyone had any recent lease info, like residuals, money factors, etc...I'm looking to lease a 2006 xA automatic for 24 mths or 36 mths with 15K miles per year.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Scion xA. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • xyglyxxyglyx Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

What are the residual and money factor for 24- and 36-month leases of the 2006 and 2007 xAs? Do you know if the 2006 model is widely available still?

Thanks,
    Chul
  • elwoodhelwoodh Member Posts: 6
    So I'm eyeing an 04 xA with 58k miles, manual trans., and the 6-disc CD changer. It's also certified.

The dealership is asking for 9,997. I think I can get it down to about 9k. Is it me, or does this deal almost seem too good to be true?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Isn't a new 06 with 0 mi with full 3/36 and 6/60 warranty 13600? I don't think $10000 is to good to be true.

Given that many would pay $1500 for just the warranty alone maybe you should try to scrape up some more change for a new one. Especially if the used market is that inelastic.

--jjf
    Doesn't sound like that good a deal. You can buy a used 2005/2006 for maybe $11,500 with 10,000 miles on it + a warranty, so do the math.
    Hi Chul. Toyota is not currently providing any sort of lease support on Scions. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services you would have to use its standard lease program. TFS buy rate standard lease money factor varies by region, but it should be near .00300 or so. Its current 24 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the 2006 xA is 58%. Its 36 month, 15k residual value for this car is 52%. I don't believe that Toyota has published a lease program for the 2007 xA yet. I suspect that availability of 2006 xAs is still decent, but I don't know for certain.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • elwoodhelwoodh Member Posts: 6
    They went down to 9100k and I walked away. We'll see if they contact me again.
    If they let you out the door, and didn't contact you same day or next, they probably won't go lower.

Good move, taking a walk. No one can negotiate who is not prepared to leave the table.
  • fitrnfitrn Member Posts: 47
    I test drove a 2006 Scion xA 3dr Hatchback Automatic today. I liked the way it handled though I felt the inside was a bit cheap feeling. Th sticker price for the 2006 included dealer add on package of cargo mat etc bringing the cost of the car to $14,865 I believe. I asked to see the dealer invoice and got a very rude response as the following "You got a dealer license? Its law you dont see the the invoice I mean cmon." I told him to take a hike and left the dealership simply for his poor manners. Is it usual for dealership to refuse to show the invoice??
    That is rather unusual nowadays. Most of the SCION dealers try to stay at sticker in any case. If the 2007's are out you may want to look at those. For most makes invoice and MSRP are rather artificial anyway.

Try to get 4-5 bids at the end of the month on your car and see if they will go below. This may be easier if you have a trade and one will work you a better deal. Not sure if its SCION rules (like saturn no haggle prices)or an informal arrangement with other dealers but if cars need to move prices will have to drop. If they are selling you will have to buy at their price.

--jjf

I test drove a 2006 Scion xA 3dr Hatchback Automatic today. I liked the way it handled though I felt the inside was a bit cheap feeling. Th sticker price for the 2006 included dealer add on package of cargo mat etc bringing the cost of the car to $14,865 I believe. I asked to see the dealer invoice and got a very rude response as the following "You got a dealer license? Its law you dont see the the invoice I mean cmon." I told him to take a hike and left the dealership simply for his poor manners. Is it usual for dealership to refuse to show the invoice??
  • fitrnfitrn Member Posts: 47
    Thanks jjf I appreciate your insight... Im going to continue my search but will definately use another dealership. :)
  • radtech2radtech2 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, how reliable is Edmunds TMV? Edmunds and Scion.com show MSRP at $15,170, that includes freight charge. Adding tax, tags and doc fees should only add around $700, so this car should easily be under $16,000, but these crooks are trying to quote me $16,800. They also keep including $554 of options(upgraded stereo, etc) that I tell them I don't want. BTW, this is for the Manual model. They are saying that the MSRP is $15,3 and then they add on $714 delivery, proc&hand. Are they trying to screw me? I'm really getting upset and am almost willing to go back to the Fit, but it's only a couple of hundred dollars less, but it also has less options than the Scion XD and the XD is sharper in looks. What is everyone else paying for they're XD Manual?
  • sad_chairsad_chair Member Posts: 13
    From Edmunds, I'm seeing $15,350 MSRP plus freight of $620 for a total of $15,970 before taxes and TTL. Very, very few dealerships will come off that price; it's what 99.5% of the Xd owners are paying. Scion sells itself as no-hassle and no pressure, so if someone is trying to push options on you that is not cool.
    Edmunds TMV is notoroiously high. But in the special case of scion they like to (are greatly discouraged from the factory from selling under list) Some may sell under msrp . Get 10 bids last week of the month via email detailing your trade and asking for kbb or nada fair condition (give them some leeway there sight unseen) have them compete on the difference owed, and financing (compared to that your can secure yourself)

If you have a trade or specify their (overpriced) options they may overallow your trade (factory can't really specify that) or toss in a number of items for free or 2/3 s off. Obviously the dealer you talked with upon receiving your bid request may ingnore it or give the same mediocre deals as they may be having a great month. Only the responses to the bid requests will fish someone out.

Technically I would want 400-1000 off a xA, 2000+ off a TC (it depreciates fairly quick). If they give you 1000 for a junker not worth $100 then they've discounted 1000 without the factory the wiser. 1.9 precent for 36 months may be worth 1500. I've seen some ads below list too, so I don't know how reigned in dealers are in certain areas.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • jayhopjayhop Member Posts: 4
    I don't know where you are located at but I just bout a XD in the Central Texas area. I paid 15,997.74 otd. That included the $715 delevery charge and a $50 doc charge. The salesman/manger were pretty good about the whole deal, just asked what I wanted and didn't try to sell me anything else. Even fore warned me about the finance guy. He said if you don't want any of the extended warrenties or other stuff just tell him that. The dealer was pretty good. They had to order what I wanted but since they were bringing in some more XD's at the time, they still gave me a $400 in stock discount. It was a base manul with no options. All scion's come with a full tank of gas and the first two service's are free too. Atleast that's what it says in the manual.
  • radtech2radtech2 Member Posts: 2
    okay, I feel a little better knowing what others have paid. I don't have a trade in. I just got an email from the guy I've been dealing with and he said that he would give it to me for 16,100 OTD. The "option" that he was trying to include apparently gets put on all 2008 xd scions. This aggravated me because it shouldn't be listed as an option if it's automatically put on. I told him I wanted him to order me one without the upgraded stereo. I don't need a $400 upgraded stereo. Well when he emailed me with the lower price, he then called me and said that it would be that price for one that had the upgraded stereo and that he would get the car on Monday. I'm nervous that when I get there, it will be a different story or they will try to screw me on the financing. We'll see. I'll walk out the door and he knows it. Can anyone tell that I have a grand opinion of car salesmen? Thanks for the info everyone. I'll post what happens.
  • jayhopjayhop Member Posts: 4
    I just have the basic radio/single cd player in the XD. I ordered carpets, spoiler and swaybar off a scion part store on the net. Much cheaper that way and it takes 10-15 mintues at most to put them on. Carpets take less time of coarse.
This discussion has been closed.