Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Does Scion offer student discount similar to the Toyota program. I'm a grad student with a part time job that wants to purchase the xB. I was wondering if they offer teh $500 discount that Toyota offers.

Also, i see very little prices quoted on this site that people have actually paid. I was looking to pay no more than $15,000 - not really interested in any funky options (maybe just a radio that takes my mp3 player). Is that reasonable?
  • johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    I now have about 7000 miles on my xB but I still only average about 28.5 mpg in mixed driving (not a lead foot). Kind of frustrating. Is there any conclusive information out there on whether the cold air intake helps gas mileage?
  • mcb74mcb74 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket roof racks? I'd like to get one for our 2005 Xb, but would like to know what others have found in terms of use and noise, etc.
  • linkraylinkray Member Posts: 1
    to heck with armrests. are the dealers giving a discount on the 2005's
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    You just get the free radio upgade with the 05's. Otherwise get the 06. There are no discounts.
  • imannieimannie Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 2001 Ford Focus ZTS but I LOVE the Scion xB. I can't decide what to do. After reading this forum for several days, I want the Scion even more, actually put in an order for a 2006 (black cherry) but have until it comes in to change my mind. HELP me. Please.
    It all comes down to money and how much you like to spend. A five year old car is not that old. However, there is nothing like the xB.

Unless the Ford was in bad shape, I would keep it.
  • jamesgangjamesgang Member Posts: 47
    This probably won't help you much, but that won't stop me from sharing my decision making process _ at least the recent ones.
    I've passed my last two 'wore out' Sables down to my boys as they turn driving age. Each with over 200,000 miles on them. Because I drive so many miles, the cars have little or no trade value anyway. :sick: So they're worth more in my driveway as 'beater' cars. That's not to say I give them cart blanch to abuse the vehicles - but I don't have the concern of the 'fender bender'. That said, my youngest is driving my Reatta quite a bit - that one I DO worry about. Anyway, with the Scion pure pricing philosophy your Focus likely has little trade in value as well. :cry: So, if it is a practicaly decision - drive the Ford into the ground. If its an emotional one (nothing wrong with that) get the Scion. I have no regrets with my purchase.
  • infinideaninfinidean Member Posts: 1
    Where in Florida did you purchase your xB? If it's not too far away from me I'll look into the dealership. thanks
  • escapeowner2escapeowner2 Member Posts: 12
    I wanted to share my recent Scion purchasing experience. We purchased a Scion xA about three weeks ago and last Monday purchased a Scion xB. We purchased both cars from Lou Fusz Toyota/Scion in Kirkwood, Missouri. We were treated very well. In each case we placed orders and in each case our orders came precisely when our salesman said they would. The pure pricing no-haggle policy was very nice. We traded in a vehicle for our xB and received a very good trade-in price for it. Financing was a snap and we were not given any sort of run-around by the financing people. We have found over the years that the best person to work with when buying and financing is the sales manager and the finance manager at the dealership. We are pleased with both of our Scions.

:D
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    What's the cargo capacity on your xBs with the rear seats folded down? I can't find this anywhere on the Scion Web site, and I'm wondering how it compares to the cargo room in my boyfriend's Saturn wagon.
  • mnikosmnikos Member Posts: 31
    There's a new forum specifically for Scion mileage which I also posted on tonight, but for those who haven't checked it out yet, I'm curious if it's realistic to expect my mileage to increase by 10 mpg after break-in? I have about 700 miles on my 06 xB so far, and the mileage has gone up with each of the 3 tanks I've pumped, but by less than 2 mpg total. I'm jealous of you 35ers out there.
    The Zeta armrest is great, by the way, and easy to install.
  • escapeowner2escapeowner2 Member Posts: 12
    You probably won't be achieving optimum mileage until your enging has 3,000 miles on it, or perhaps as many as 5,000 miles. The way in which you drive really has an impact on mileage. Turning your AC on reduces mileage by as much as 25 percent, particularly on our little engines. If you are not doing a lot of highway driving, your mileage won't be much above 31 or so. If you have to drive up hills a lot, etc. etc. So many factors go into mileage. I would say, give it a few thousand miles and then you will know. Keep your tire pressure at the right level, etc.
    Thanks, escapeowner2! Unfortunately, not much I can do about using the A/C with 100+ temps every day and commuting up the hill, but I'm loving that little car so much it doesn't really matter.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the air conditioning and how much it affects fuel economy. I have no choice but to have A/C and have heard for years that it sucks the economy out of one's fuel economy for their particular rig...I just hadn't seen a percentage figure in type or print for a long time, so that was helpful information. I was thinking along the lines of about 20% worse with your A/C on. Right in the proverbial ballpark, anyway. It's just not an option to go without it in the hot South Dakota summer sun. :P

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jamesgangjamesgang Member Posts: 47
    A ten % loss with A/C on is closer to what I experience - actually it isn't even that much. Without A/C 38-39mpg. With A/C 35-37. It is hard to say exactly as I do turn the A/C off whenever comfortably possible.
    With my other cars - 6 cylinders - there was no noticable difference with or without the A/C. But these little engines are seriously affected.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Gawd, that's so ordinary...
  • bkbuibkbui Member Posts: 2
    Okay,

I am writing this to see if anyone else has had this experience trying to purchase an xB recently.

First of all I ordered the xB 2005 back in July for around 15K total. I filled out all the forms, gave my deposit and my car was saposed to arrive 4 weeks later. It never arrived and I never even got a call from the dealer (they still had my desposit). I called the dealership and they told me that the 2005 is no longer available and that we can only get the 2006 now.

Problem is, they won't sell it now without the "optional" Toyota Total Care plan ($700 I think) and they are charging me an additional "dealer fee" of $599. What the heck?!

My total cost for all fees and taxes is now $16,500, that's 1,500 more than before.

I called other dealers in my area and they are also charging an additional "dealer fee" even though they didn't do it before with the 2005 model.

My point is, Scion is saposed to have a no price haggling policy but this is not just price haggling, this is out right price hiking!

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • bkbuibkbui Member Posts: 2
    Okay,

I am writing this to see if anyone else has had this experience trying to purchase an xB recently. I live in South East Florida.

First of all I ordered the xB 2005 back in July for around 15K total. I filled out all the forms, gave my deposit and my car was saposed to arrive 4 weeks later. It never arrived and I never even got a call from the dealer (they still had my desposit). I called the dealership and they told me that the 2005 is no longer available and that we can only get the 2006 now.

Problem is, they won't sell it now without the "optional" Toyota Total Care plan ($700 I think) and they are charging me an additional "dealer fee" of $599. What the heck?!

My total cost for all fees and taxes is now $16,500, that's 1,500 more than before.

I called other dealers in my area and they are also charging an additional "dealer fee" even though they didn't do it before with the 2005 model.

My point is, Scion is saposed to have a no price haggling policy but this is not just price haggling, this is out right price hiking!

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • cocteau3cocteau3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I"ve had trouble accessing the Scion website for info on options, pricing, etc. since i don't have the latest bells and whistles computer system . . . long story short, I've been shopping for an xB.

I agree with all the positive aspects mentioned on this wonderful forum. I'm 6'2" and have long been uncomfortable in normal sedan cars. The xB is immediately spacious and safe (good visibility). My experience shopping has been that there is a no haggle price policy. However, when I recently stopped at a dealer in Charlottesville, VA to test a 2004 used xB with 13K miles, their sticker was upwards of 15, 688 and mentioned "cruise control". First, the dealer said the price was a starting point. I remined him I could go and buy a 2006 for less. Second, is cruise control an option on the automatic drive xB?

I test drove a 2005 xB with 35 miles on it at the same dealer, and it seemed to have a resonation or vibration in the engine/transmission at around 3500 rpms. Has anyone else noticed/experienced this? The 2004 I drove did not have it.

Also, I heard a recommended option is an "additional" stabilizer bar for the front end? I thought the xB comes already with torsion/stabilizer bars both front and rear . . .

Do the seats remove in the xB? Or do they just fold down for more cargo? I'm replacing my Ford E-150 van with a Scion, aware that there will be only so much room, but the xB can haul some large objects.

Concerning prices, I ran a Consumer Reports actual dealer cost report on the 2006 xB. It says the Invoice Price is the same as Wholesale Price. On the automatic, for example, MSRP is 15,195, Invoice/Wholesale is 14,460. So they have about $735.00 to "play with", yet I suspect no dealer will split the difference. Destination charge is $515 and included in the above pricing. I will walk from any dealer who adds additional delivery, or processing fees.

Anyone have a roof rack on their xB? I thought that was an option too.

Thanks for the help!!! ;)
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    First of all,
    I'm 6'2" also and after 3 months of research and test drives, I bought the '05 XB. The ride , handling, and visibility are fantastic. I avg. 33-35 mpg and drive 110 miles daily in my commute. I took delivery on April 2 and now have 16000 miles. No vibrations on mine--maybe tires need balancing. The XB comes std. with traction control and skid control though. The strut tie bar for the front does inprove handling and it's $225 installed at the dealer. I have one and am glad I bought it.
    No, the XB does not come with torsion and sway bars, but you can by these as aftermarket items. No cruise is standard on the XB--all are aftermarket items and the dealers will rape you on the cost of those($350-$600). You can buy the same unit for $79 on the web and have a garage install or do it yourself. Roof racks are also a dealer ordered item and they will overcharge you for those also. Thule makes a rack for the XB and it's cheaper on the web or your local rack dealer.
    I've never pulled my rear seat out, but you can take them out. I have read about removal on several message boards. Good luck with your shopping
  • dragonfishdragonfish Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone purchased a 2006 xB in the Bay Area recently? I'd like to find out how long I would have to wait for delivery if I wanted to purchase one in the next month or so. Thanks!
  • yb5yb5 Member Posts: 13
    We, that is my wife, purchased #1643 in April 05 Automatic, had sunroof installed (it is SoCal after all) $20,177 out the door. 30+ mpg all day long, you cant beat it. Only problem is everytime she see's another one, got to go ask what number it is! By the way, we are both in our late 40's.
  • nachonacho Member Posts: 5
    have read the standard features on Edmunds, but want to know a couple of things. Is keyless entry standard for the xB? I doubt if floor mats are standard, but did anyone get them tossed in for free. Is the upgraded security system worth getting or is Lojack a better avenue or nothing at all? Did anyone get a deal on tint through their Scion dealer or did anyone get tinting for free?

Finally, I have a '98 A4 that I want to trade in. It is in excellent shape with low mile except for a short in the gauge cliuster ($1K to fix according to the Audi dealership) and a cracked gas tank ($2K to replace). I've never traded a car in....is it better to sell to a private party as is or to sell to a dealership and are the dealerships anal when giving you a trade in value? Thank you
    have read the standard features on Edmunds, but want to know a couple of things. Is keyless entry standard for the xB? I doubt if floor mats are standard, but did anyone get them tossed in for free. Is the upgraded security system worth getting or is Lojack a better avenue or nothing at all? Did anyone get a deal on tint through their Scion dealer or did anyone get tinting for free?

Keyless Entry is free. Floor mats are not. Make sure you also get the cargo mat. No security on mine. The xB is tinted like a minivan meaning the back windows are more tinted than the front ones from the factory.

Finally, I have a '98 A4 that I want to trade in. It is in excellent shape with low mile except for a short in the gauge cliuster ($1K to fix according to the Audi dealership) and a cracked gas tank ($2K to replace). I've never traded a car in....is it better to sell to a private party as is or to sell to a dealership and are the dealerships anal when giving you a trade in value? Thank you

If you need $3000 worth of work, it may be more beneficial to trade it in. You just have to do your HW and compute what its worth with repairs, without repairs, and what the dealership will give you for it. Choose what is better for you. However, its going to be hard to sell it private with a cracked gas tank.
  • nachonacho Member Posts: 5
    Thanks tundradude-

I appreciate your feedback. I am interested in the tC, xB and '06 Civic Coupe and am doing my homework. Yeah-who'd have believed that their gas tank would crack. I have never heard of a plastic one cracking...bad luck I guess, but no more European cars-EVER!!
    I bought my 2006 xB at the beginning of August; the dealer included mats, including the cargo mat. I only paid extra for the upgrade Pioneer radio that accepts iPod (about $225 extra, but definitely worth it).
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    is the window sticker the final price like on saturns or can one haggle like on toyotas. kbb.com shows msrp and invoice for scions. if the cars are only sold at msrp, whats the point of knowing the invoice price?

thanks
  • mourfmourf Member Posts: 1
    In North Texas the sticker price is the price you pay. Of course, here there are no cars on any lots. You order it all and you pay the price listed. Period. I've been given wait times from 3-10 weeks. I found a dealer who said they could get it to me in 3-4 so thats who I went with.

For $18,075 (No TTL) I orderd a black automatic and have the following addons:
    fog lights
    rear spoiler
    rear bumper appplique
    stainless steel exhaust tip
    cruise control
    alarm system
    floort/cargo mats
    armrest
    blue LED internal lights
    8' Bazoka subwoofer
    Upgraded Pioneer 6CD/iPod Compatible Stereo
    How much of that was taxes?
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    i am going to go buy an xb in the next two weeks. i too was thinking of purchasing from Toyota of the desert. does anyone know if they are friendly, what is their dimeanor in regards to pricing and do they throw in anything to make you happy about spending your money with them. i'm hoping to get a good deal since i will be paying with cash. if anyone has any info about an xb purchase from them please let me know....
    Mine came with floor mats and cargo mat; I think maybe they include those for everyone. Toyota of the Desert was good to buy from, I'd go back. I don't know how I-10 Toyota is, they might be good too. I financed mine, but the impression I've gotten is the Scion pricing is truly firm regardless of financing terms. They do a 2-week thing where you set up to finance it through them but they don't submit the loan for two weeks; if you find other financing, they void the loan. They actually called me after two weeks to confirm I wanted them to proceed. It gives you an opportunity to be an 'impulse buyer' for the car and then shop for financing later.
    that's good to know......
    i am not considering I-10 toyota due to the fact that their lot is so tiny. i have been at Toyota of desert before (their lot is huge), i bought a toyota there in 1991. however i seem to be having trouble getting them to respond to my emails. i'm suppose to go and buy in about 9 days, it will be the first (and possibly the last) time that i can pay in cash. i hope they have some dark blue ones with auto and i'll have to spring for a armrest too. by the way, Americas Tire co has some really nice alloy wheels for @ $80 each= $320+tax. way cheaper than scions alloys which are $665!
    thanks, any further info would be appreciated. oh, and there's several distributors on ebay who have billet grilles for @ $70 (shipping included) i think i'll order one! :shades:
    I have one of those dark blue ones. Its pretty when its clean, but it scratches easily.
    i have a blue nissan work truck....same problem. i guess they go cheap on paint these days. mine gets scratched just by the rivets on my jeans touching it when i get in or out. one day i even grabbed the door with the keys in my hand and that scratched too. i'm thinking that you might have to go white these days to coverup or hide those stupid scratches! :confuse:
    Don't get the Scion armrest, it's very cheap looking and has no storage. There's one called Zeta (made especially for Scions) that has a leather-look flip-up top with enough storage for a cell phone, iPod etc. (not CDs). It's adjustable height-wise, and the whole thing ratchets up out of the way if you need it to. It doesn't get in the way of anything, it's really easy to install, and it's not much more than the Scion model (I think it was about $180). Just type 'zeta armrest' into your browser. I learned about it on this forum from one of the other great members (sorry, can't remember but I think it was tundradude).
    that's good to know
    thanks,
    They have a couple of salesmen who are 'authorized' to sell Scions. I'm very happy with my salesman's service and followup. I'm surprised they aren't responding to you. When I first went to look at an xB, they had about six 2005s on the lot. I bought the first 2006 they got; when I went back a few weeks later to get my radio installed, they had sold out, and only had a 2004 for sale (which was priced at about the same as a new one).

Give careful thought to your color choice. All the darker ones show dirt very badly, and I see a lot of posts that the paint scratches easily. Mine is black cherry, which I thought was discontinued for 06 but obviously isn't. It's gorgeous when it's washed, but any dirt really shows up.

Thanks for the tip about the wheels, that's a great price if they look good. The ones that come standard on the car (you choose from three styles, which all look about the same) are cheap PLASTIC; don't know how long they'll hold up.

I also recommend getting the decal that goes across the top of the rear bumper. My dogs jumped into the back the first time I opened the rear door, and they scratched the bumper with their nails. The bumper decal Scion sells is about $65 I think, and looks pretty cheap, but it's better than nothing. Has anyone found anything better for the top of the rear bumper?

P.S. What is a 'billet grille'?
    i have seen a couple of those rear bumper pads on ebay for @ $45 to $50, check it out even if it is the same cheap quality you can save a few bucks. the "billet" grille is a custom made polished aluminum grille that replaces the plastic one that on your front end. gives it a cool custom look and removes the front emblem which leaves people wondering........what is it?
    there are about three different styles on there right now. stainless steel mesh, black powder coat mesh, and finally billet polished aluminum. billet is usually the most popular( it kind of looks like chrome). "billet" usually stands for "polished aluminum".
    just go to ebay and do a search for "xb grille" and you will see all of them under vehicle accessories. i also saw a guy on there who sales a custom chrome (bezel) ring for your speedometer, though i am not sure if it is worth $50 or not (do search for "xb speedometer" to find that)
    oh...and since the paint colors are such an issue, i think i will buy a white one! hope this info is helpful:shades:
    also, my daughter (a teenager) thinks this is a cool little car!
    these days it is hard to keep kids interested in mom or dads activities.if buying a car that looks like a "hotwheel" or a toy will help keep her interested in what i'm doing and want to ride in it with me............well i see that as a big bonus! :)
    at least it will help to bridge the gap of our age difference and give us something in common to both enjoy and be able to talk about.........
    with all the mods coming out, i think it does look like a cool little toy. it's different and that's what i want no more (as others have said) dull cookie cutter mobiles!
    also, i beleive it is one of the very few cars left that still offers a real ashtray..........can be a positive or negative, your choice ....but a detail that i noticed :shades:
    Ashtrays are good are coins.

I got the rear bumper applique on mind, and its worth the $58.

I already lost one of my wheel covers since I got it, but I bought an extra set for $30. Now I have spares. Someday I'm going to discount tire and get some wheels. I agree thats the cheaper way.

The interesting thing is the tires, its a weird size and not many people make it. I hope before time replacement comes up, more tire companies will make the size.

7600 miles and going
    Thanks for the info on the grilles, sounds like that's a nice way to customize mine without going for the paint decals or other options.
    Re color, there seem to be very few white xBs out there, and the few I've seen look really sharp. Plus you can touch up white paint really easily (even use WhiteOut in a pinch)
    The xB does come with an ashtray, but it's too small to even store the car lighter in. If you smoke, you're probably better off getting one of those mug-looking things that fits in your cup holder and has a funnel-shaped hole in the top (get it at any car wash). They're easy to hit with ashes and butts, and they actually seem to contain a lot of the odor.
    I went ahead and bought the bumper protector today. Toyota of the Desert had one in stock and discounted it to $38 plus tax. It comes with four pages of directions, but it went on really easily...just clean the bumper, spray soapy water on it (so you can slide the decal around before you finalize it), peel off the backing and stick it on. They say to use a squeegie, but I just used a clean dry cloth.
    As far as your daughter liking to ride in it with you, kudos! It might be that the damn thing is so much fun to drive that you just exude happiness, and she feels it too.
    3000 miles on mine, but driving to SF Friday so will be just about due for my FIRST FREE OIL CHANGE when I get back!
    i ordered that custom grille like two days ago and it came UPS today, it is VERY nice!
    well worth every penny. also ordered a custom velour dash cover last night for $43.70 shipping included. now i just need to go get the xb middle of next week (just waiting for my deposit to clear the bank). i'll buy it, then off to tire shop for those cool wheels for @ $80 each (silver alloys by Konig), then home to apply new grille and dash cover. within one day it will already look a lot different and custom
    within a week of that i will order the bumper mat, armrest, and pick up a windshield tint strip for Pep boys.;)
    p.s. there appears to only be like two very accessible mounting tabs on top of grille which makes it simple to install (no mods needed) even comes with the hardware!
    i got an email today from an ebay member who had bought one of those chrome bezel rings for the xb speedometer. he says that it really looks good and quality is fine but he thought that it wasn't worth $50......
    that was my concern.
    just thought you might like to know.........
    bought my new 2006 xb tonight at toyota of the desert. it was the only one they had on the lot. all dealers in my area were sold out. i got real lucky!
    got a silver one with auto, remote locks,side spoilers, and xb carpet mats.
    it had just come off the truck and was still waiting for them to put on the rear bumper and stereo. it only had two miles on it...........
    i drove it, looked at it, then bought it on the spot!
    $15,300 before tax and license.
    sales guy made it a very smooth transaction.
    they have to finish it and will deliver it to me tomorrow so they gave a camry as a loaner for the night. ;)
    THANKS TOYOTA OF THE DESERT!!!! :shades:
    Welcome to the club!
    this thing is wierd, it's kind of like driving a big "hotwheel"!
    it just reminds me of a big toy.
    oh, dealership also threw in a full tank of gas and a scion keychain with chrome license plate frame :shades:
  • snugglebunny1snugglebunny1 Member Posts: 3
    Im located in central Florida and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best dealer to do business with.
  • tomb3tomb3 Member Posts: 2
    I "ordered" my Scion Xb about 4 weeks ago (Continental Scion, Countryside, Illinois). I ordered a few options worth about 1.5K.

I knew about the "no haggle" price... but yesterday I asked the dealer if they could at least do first 3-4 oil changes for free (I know it's important to use the right oil especially when the car is new). They said "no" -- so I didn't buy the car.

It seems I wasted 4 weeks for nothing... I think I"m going to go to another dealer tomorrow.

Is it normal that the dealer doesn't give you anything "for free"? Maybe someone could recommend a better dealer in the Chicago area? Thanks,

tom
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Why would you let 3-4 oil changes keep you from buying a $15,000 car? Why would they give you something for free when they have somebody right behind you that will be happy to buy it? IIRC, even selling it for MSRP they make about $700.

Don't sweat the small stuff.