Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• icechuuicechuu Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys, howdy? I am looking into buying a 2007 SCION -XB, I am located in Pasadena., Southern California. Recently has got a quote as follows:

Base price $15,410
    Fog light kit $ 350
    Spoiler $ 385
    Tail light $ 275
    Pumper/protect $ 58
    Auto Trans.
    Black Color
    ----------------------------
    $ 16,478.00
    Tax/Lic/fees + $ 1,598.72
    ----------------------------

Out the door
    PRICE : $18,076.72
    -----------

Is this out the door price in Southern California for a Scion XB (Black) with auto transmission is a decent quote or is it way too high? Do any one know any decent dealership in Southern California around Pasadena. that will have competitive prices for the little Scion I am looking for? Any suggestion or opinion will be greatly appreciated.
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    Icechuu, there isn't a 2007 Scion xB model. All the remaining inventory is from the 2006 year, as this particular model has gone out of production in anticipation of the redesigned 2008 version out later this year.

Thus far, no official designs for the new xB have been released. As far as the quote you received, it seems fair but only if you want those extra features. If you hunt around, you might find a base model without them for around $15G. Good luck.
  • icechuuicechuu Member Posts: 10
    Hey brucepadgett, thanks for all the info. I found one and only one with the color : Show Mica
    at a dealer ship. With the options that I want:

Rear Spoiler
    Tail Lights
    Fog Light Kit
    Floor carpet

The out the door price with tax/license/fee : $18,143.84 was quoted. They were very frank and admit they have to make about $883.00 on this deal. You think this is still a fair deal? Any comments will be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    Icechuu, I believe that $883 is what they CHOOSE to make, that's why they included all those options. The important question is: do you think they're worth the extra cost to obtain that particular xB? IOW could you get one with your desired color anywhere else w/o the options?

I would recommend you keep calling local dealers. Try contacting the internet sales manager for each one as they may offer you lower prices than the floor salesmen. Link via the Scion website--your messages should route directly
    to the dealers' internet staff. Good luck.
  • girlbuffalo1girlbuffalo1 Member Posts: 16
    Purchase my 2008 auto black on black xB this past weekend. 17,180 just as on the sticker--$600 tax and $100 dealer fee I believe--great trade in amount on my old 02 Suzuki Vitara. The experience (for the most part) was great. The only thing lacking was that apparently they put the upgraded stereo in it and didn't include that on the sticker (the one with the graphics plate) and when I came back in the next day to finish getting detailed they tried to tell me to either pay the $600 for the stereo or take the general pioneer back--sorry dude but I already have signed off on all of the paperword for a set price for THAT car.

I called their bluff and asked "well what would I have to do to return it" and after a talk with the manager the stereo was mine at no extra cost. That in my opinion--was a bit ridiculous--their mistake not mine.
  • goodmfgoodmf Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy 2008 xB (white or teal mica) with the following options

-TRD supercharger (boost to 200 hp)
    -TRD 19' alloy wheels
    -spoiler
    -navigation system

I am located in chicago.
    Am I expecting to pay build price (scion website) ?
    Any suggestions ?
  • natatacnatatac Member Posts: 17
    Any one tried the Costco/credit union buying service for a Scion yet? They have you set up an appointment with a specific fleet manager and give you a no haggle, fixed amount over dealer invoice. I have seen listings for Saturn in the listings so I would assume Scion would be a player also.
  • georgiamangeorgiaman Member Posts: 16
    It is not clear from the Scion website if the following features are standard or optional on the new 2008 Xb:

1. Cargo Cover
    2. Tinted Windows (Deep or Light?)
    3. Fog Lights

Can any of the owners comment? If they are optional, how much extra do you pay for them?

Thanks
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    We have 180,000 miles on a 2001 Sienna that we like a lot, due in part to a good Scion/Toyota/Lexus dealership. But it's a bit pricey to drive the van as much as she does, so I'm always on the look out for something cheaper when it comes time to replace it. Previously I'd brought home a 4 cylinder/FWD RAV4 which she liked well enough to replace the Sienna. As it would be about $4000 cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, better mileage, and probably better during our snowy winters, I was very pleased.

As she works out of town I end up taking it in for service, but we happened to be nearby the dealer yesterday. So I pulled in to show her the new xB. She liked it! She was OK to give up room and the third seat! She even wanted to get it with a manual transmission! This would save another $5000 over the RAV4. :shades:

The only down side is that I was thinking of getting it for myself (before we replace the Sienna) and don't want two of the same car. :confuse:
  • johndintexasjohndintexas Member Posts: 18
    In regards to picking one dealer over another, I have a few questions on buying a new 2008 Scion XB that maybe some owners/buyers could answer?

I know that "pure pricing" means you pay the MSRP on the sticker. However, when you add the accessories, do you have to pay the MSRP on those, or are they negotiable?

I've checked all the Scion dealers around where I live, and they all charge the exact same for the accessories (their prices are listed on their dealer websites and in the showrooms). So if they all charge the exact same, what's the benefit of one dealer over another? Or can you negotiate price on the accessories?

Also, all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?

And one last question: most dealers around here only have a few 2008 XBs in stock on their lot, but they list upwards of 50 available on their website. Do you have to pay any fee (besides the one built into the MSRP) to get one that they list as available? You don't have to pay any type of relocation fee, do you?

Any and all advice would be great. How did any of you owners/buyers out there handle these things? Thanks!
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    10 or so bids from dealers in a radius around you last week of the month for a vehicle equipped as you want. Prices including all taxes, dealer fees,,... OTD. Work the lowest 2-3 against each other. Lowest wins. Only way to know what the lowest price is is to find out what the lowest price is.

Good Luck
    --jjf

In regards to picking one dealer over another, I have a few questions on buying a new 2008 Scion XB that maybe some owners/buyers could answer?

I know that "pure pricing" means you pay the MSRP on the sticker. However, when you add the accessories, do you have to pay the MSRP on those, or are they negotiable?

I've checked all the Scion dealers around where I live, and they all charge the exact same for the accessories (their prices are listed on their dealer websites and in the showrooms). So if they all charge the exact same, what's the benefit of one dealer over another? Or can you negotiate price on the accessories?

Also, all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?

And one last question: most dealers around here only have a few 2008 XBs in stock on their lot, but they list upwards of 50 available on their website. Do you have to pay any fee (besides the one built into the MSRP) to get one that they list as available? You don't have to pay any type of relocation fee, do you?

Any and all advice would be great. How did any of you owners/buyers out there handle these things? Thanks!
  • johndintexasjohndintexas Member Posts: 18
    Are you saying the "pure price" is negotiable? I thought that it wasn't, but I thought that maybe the dealer fees and prices for accessories might be?
    There you go. One may also give you a much better price for your trade if you have one. Get 10 bids end of month.

Good luck
    --jjf

Are you saying the "pure price" is negotiable? I thought that it wasn't, but I thought that maybe the dealer fees and prices for accessories might be?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

With pure pricing the Scion Xb is providing Toyota with approximately a $900.00 profit which seems high to me for a inexpensive car.

To make matters worse here in Florida the dealers charge an addtional markup fee of $699.00.

So Scion is making an average profit here in Florida of $1600.00 on a economy car not including any accessories sold.

Volkswagon for example has a very thin profit on the Rabbit.

Does anyone else feel that this pure pricing is too expensive???
    Don't put too much stock into published invoice figures. You really don't know what exactly they are making on a vehicle. As is true everywhere from wal-mart to the jewelry store.

Yes the Xb seems expensive with the price boost compared to what others can be obtained for. Their marketing must be working and inventory control and manufacturing such that they can hold close to this price. Only the method suggested in my previous post will tell.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

With pure pricing the Scion Xb is providing Toyota with approximately a $900.00 profit which seems high to me for a inexpensive car.

To make matters worse here in Florida the dealers charge an addtional markup fee of $699.00.

So Scion is making an average profit here in Florida of $1600.00 on a economy car not including any accessories sold.

Volkswagon for example has a very thin profit on the Rabbit.

Does anyone else feel that this pure pricing is too expensive???
  • toronado455toronado455 Member Posts: 83
    Purchase my 2008 auto black on black xB this past weekend. 17,180 just as on the sticker--$600 tax and $100 dealer fee I believe

Where do you pay only $600 sales tax on a $17,180 car?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    In Orlando I have only seen two Xbs in the last two months and the inventory seems to be rising. It the Xb off to a slow start?
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    So whats the mark up on the rabbit and how much is holdback
    and does it have vehicle stabililty contol and traction control?
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?"

Are you sure all the dealers got together and set the same fee? Pretty smart collusion.

When I bought my '06, the three dealers here had fees of $400, $500 and $900. I only found out about the big fees when I was at the $900 dealer and it showed up on the purchase order I was supposed to sign. It was not negotiable, and when I refused, that dealer invited me to check other dealers. So I did and bought from a dealer with a lower fee.
  • timberlofttimberloft Member Posts: 1
    Just got our Nautical Blue automatic XB 3 days ago at the pure price without any dealer fees. I researched many dealers in Ga. and found dealer fees ranging from $249 to $750. The dealer that I wanted to purchase our XB from had a dealer fee of $399. Our daughter lives in Asheville, NC, and on a recent trip I visited the Asheville dealer and found out that they did not add a dealer fee to any of their vehicles. The Asheville dealer is 2 hours away from home, so I preferred to buy the XB from the Ga. dealer that is only 30 minutes away. When I called the Ga. dealer and told them that they could waive the dealer fee or I would purchase the vehicle in Asheville, they agreed to remove the fee. In reality, they left the dealer fee and reduced the sales price by $399. They explained that they could not get rid of the dealer fee or they would set themselves up for a class action suit by everyone that had paid the fee.

We wanted the dark blue color with automatic and no other options, and the dealer did not have one on the lot. They ended up doing a dealer trade, and ironically our XB came out of North Carolina. The drive-out price of $18573.17 came about this way:
    $16,600 list + $715 Del'y - $399 discount + $399 Admin fee + $22.54(?)+ $1213.63 tax + $22 title fee = $18,573.17.

As I mentioned, the dealers did a trade to get the vehicle that we wanted to Ga. When I went through the glove box, I found the trade information that the driver had failed to turn in to the dealer. It showed that the Ga. dealer paid the NC dealer $16,569.41 for our XB. The NC dealer paid the Ga. dealer $25,830.41 for the trade vehicle, but I can't tell from the paperwork exactly what that vehicle was. It was an '07 Model 8216, whatever that is.

The dealer also threw in floor mats at no charge. I am not sure if this was intentional, or they failed to put them on the invoice.

We love the XB so far. I would definitely recommend it. I hope that the above info will help others that are considering taking the plunge.
  • stlxbstlxb Member Posts: 2
    Just got a new 08 Blue xB automatic. Ackerman Toyota is offering $500 off the MSRP and another dealer in town is offering $400 off MSRP. I saw just about every color except teal.

Price was 16825 + $92 dealer fee. I have to pay the TTL this weekend at the DMV. I hope this helps.
  • bobby350zbobby350z Member Posts: 7
    Looking to buy one with automatic, no other options. What you guys paying for the out of the door price in the bay area?
  • rdelucchirdelucchi Member Posts: 6
    Is the "no haggle" pricing for XM supposed to be $449 plus installation charge, or $449 including installation charge?
    Go to sams club, costco or wallmart and buy the xm sportster with home and car kit/antennas and remote for $40. Use the windshield suction cup or ac vent auto mount and throw the magnetic antenna outside (door/frame molding) or on the dash in 10 minutes. Evaluate the programming before you put $650 into an xm radio with no remote and no ability to bring your $150/yr account inside for ball games etc. (return policies are usually 90 days)

If you like it have the cheap kit professionally installed for $150 or do it yourself. Some more expensive kits have units that quick switch from car to boom boxes etc and good monthly use intro offers. Anything is better than the rape jobs for these single use auto manufacturer kits.

good luck
    --jjf

Is the "no haggle" pricing for XM supposed to be $449 plus installation charge, or $449 including installation charge?
  • macljsmacljs Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I want to buy an 08' XB in portland recently. I only need the auto transit option. Did anyone buy it there recently? How much should I paid for it right now?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The prices of new Scions is "fixed" for no haggle sales. About the only difference you will see is the amount of dealer "doc" or "prep" fee each dealer tacks on to the top of the price. Sales are really slow due to the higher price and lack of interest of the new xB's design, so some dealers are offering free accessories when you buy the car. Still the same high price, but you might get $500 or so of free add-ons to try to entice you to take the deal.

I have an 06 xB and it is a lot of car for what *I* paid for it and the new design has many improvements, but I don't care as much for the styling and the $17,220 price is pretty high. A Civic LX sedan with auto has an INVOICE price of $16,984 so you should be able to buy one for as cheap or cheaper than the new xB. A Honda Fit Sport with auto has an MSRP for $16,705. So paying $17,220 for a new xB just does not make much sense to me.

Dennis
    An 08 scion tc base has a msrp of about 18500. However its used 07 counterpart barely wholesales for $12500. Youch! Saturn tried to make the no haggle thing work for a few years, and I figure Scion would also with the trendy and stylish bit, but it is probably over. Buying a Tc,and probably a xb (look up an 07 on kbb.com or nada.com) at dealer list is financial hari-kari. Add a bit on the xb as the design this year is a bit better.

If the dealers are somehow prevented from selling too much below list, they may highball your trade, or throw in $2000+ or more of their (inflated) dealer priced add-ons. You want at least a true 3000 worth of stuff, dealer discount and extra trade allowance on the Tc, as the economy is flat and there are too many good deals out there.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for your reply and information. I like the civic also. It speeds up smoother than the XB and the look of XB is a little odd. However the 08' XB has a bigger engine(2.4L) than the civic and it has much more pace in the car. That why I choose the XB. Do you know what is the resell value of the XB? Can it be sold easily be cause it is not so popular in US.
    The resale of the prior model xB is (was?) real good, but since the new 08 can't see knew I would doubt the resale value will be very strong. The Civic always has strong resale value, for sure if you buy near invoice you will not lose as much money down the road when it is time to sell.

Dennis
    Thanks JJF. It seems it is impossible to cut the price off since everyone said the MSRP is fit in scion. But $3000 worth stuff is not so important to me because the XB's standard trim is good enough to me.
  • firehouse46firehouse46 Member Posts: 19
    Well, I have been to weasel lot lizard dealers, surfed the net. Was looking at various cars and finally had an inspiration. I toned down the amount of money I was going to lay out and found the Scion xB seemed to do the trick. It is a Toyota and configured with the do-dads I wanted comes in at $20,090. This is the bigger Scion. Very roomy. Tx, licens in addition to price.

I will have to order it but nice car and plenty of room to haul hunting stuff. Clincher was MPG and lower price. I'll post a picture when I get delivery.

As long as things go smoothly at dealer I'll be happy. I'll give you an update. Looking to get the deal done this Saturday. :shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large national newspaper is interested in talking with new owners of the Scion xB. If you recently purchased this vehicle, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, May 12.
    I would try to look at the pontiac Vibe (15000-16000 street price 08 if any left in your area), Toyota matrix (same) possibly Hyundia tuscon, santa fe, Ford escape, etc. For hunting and such Scion has a rather low ground clearance and is overpriced. At least get 5 bids and try to get some overallowance on a trade or $2000 or so of their (overpriced) list price options thrown in. I guess this would depend on popularity in your area.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    We picked up our Blackberry xB today. Got it for $15,497 (plus TTL, sales tax, and processing) for the manual tranny version. Have to put in a good word for Fitzgerald Scion in Gaithersburg, MD. Their Pure Price was $800 lower the the dealers in my neck of the woods in VA, and MD dealers can't charge the outrageous processing fees the dealers here want. The xB has everything we wanted, and is almost $4-5k cheaper than a comparably equipped Matrix.
  • hbgti1hbgti1 Member Posts: 16
    Congratulations, that's a great price. I got the exact same xB (5spd blackberry) last October for $16270 w/o any add'l fees other than ttl (but I also paid cash, so I don't know if that's why they waived the other fees).

It's a great ride and I've been more than happy with the mpg. If you don't drive much over 70mph and avoid jackrabbit starts it really returns great mpg. I get 33mpg on my normal commute to work which takes me 40 mins (22 miles one way); roughly 30%city/70%hwy. Oddly enough I got 32mpg on a cross country hwy trip, but traveling 70-75mph most of the way cuts into the gas. The xB's sweet spot is right around 50mph, so if you drive alot of rural back roads you should get great mpg.

The only things I plan to do in the near future is to:
    1) Install the TRD short shift kit. I've heard nothing but great reviews by other users regarding improving the smoothness and reducing the throw by a good 30% - 40%. My take on the stock shifter is that it's adequate, but gets notchy when rushed.
    2) Begin using synthetic oil when I get to 15000 miles on the odo.
  • retzer66retzer66 Member Posts: 3
    Gotta love the Fitz Way! $16,400 for our blackberry '08 xB with automatic, plus $21 for a 60-day temp Maryland tag. Took a $59 overnight Greyhound ride from Illinois to pick it up. Drove it real easy on the way back, averaging 49 mph. After expenses, we saved $1000-$1200 over buying local.
  • michgunmichgun Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Just need your opinion about how much I should pay for 2009 Scion XB 5-speed. By the way, I am located in San Gabriel Valley. I am planning to go to Longo Toyota. I don't know if you all are familiar with the dealer. Anyway, they gave me a quote of $18181.73. That price including the process & handling fee of $620. I added a quick shifter costing $266.50. The car comes with the carpet as well. I really need your opinion so badly. How much do you think I can push down the price? And I am planning to trade-in my car as well. The thing is I lost my title for my current car. I have to wait 10 business day for it. Is there any way that I can sell the car without the title? or can dealer check to DMV regarding the ownership of the car? Thank you so much for all your input.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    niether the civic or the fit come withtraction control or vehicle stabilty control. you would have to add that to the price f bot to comaper apple to applles. Xb is just a lot more car than either the civic or fit. Edmunds compares the fit to the xd and
    rate the xd as better.
    Stability control on a FWD car is about pointless - no matter what you do on most you can't get them tail to come around at all. Traction control on a little 4 banger is similarly not really needed - you hit the gas too much, just lift :D .

On my 06 xB I find that neither is ever needed or used, but on my RWD cars with more power then both can be lifesavers. My daughter's Civic is a much nicer car than the xB, but mine was a LOT cheaper. The trouble with the new xB is the price just takes it too close to the territory where other cars are better (to me) options.

Dennis
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    If the XB is selling so good why don't we see more prices paid action on this page. I under stand that most people pay sticker but in different states add different BS fee;s
    Sales are up - nearly 41% for May 08 VS May 07 and nearly 57% for YTD 2008 VS YTD 2007.

Scion xB
    Current Month
    - 2008: 5,351
    - 2007: 3,658
    - Chg: 40.9%
    Calendar YTD
    - 2008: 21,241
    - 2007: 13,331
    - Chg: 56.9%

But not much point in posting "prices paid" for a car that has a fixed selling price - and only $800 or so of markup from invoice to MSRP. Most dealers will not even budge on accessory prices, but I suppose if you are buying enough stuff you might be able to get a lower price.

Dennis
  • wncxbwncxb Member Posts: 1
    In NC, just purchased new '08 blackberry Xb automatic stickered $17,735 with upgraded stereo and mats for $15,775, after getting an inflated trade in value.

Compared to another local Toyota dealership offer, I got free stereo upgrade and mats and a few dollars off.

The "dealing" was basically in trade in value. While the dealer valued my trade as the same as other dealers, paperwork reflected inflated trade value.
    A BIG trade difference.......Last year, I actually had my Ford Explorer trade valued at $500 dollars equity over balance owed...signed papers on new Xb with a trade equity of $2,436 over balance owed. Glad to unload the F-bomb, with it's check engine light on, a bad power window, no cruise control..etc etc etc........

I'm loving the Xb....and I think I got a great deal considering the trade.
  • tomasastomasas Member Posts: 1
    I just put a deposit on a new 2008 Xb stock for 15000$. Sight unseen. Will take a trip to take a look at it in the middle of next week. Will add some options while i'm there and hoping to bring it home a couple of days after.

It's about 2K below sticker price. I know it's 08, but i'm planning of driving it for a long time so it doesn't matter.
  • hulkeduphulkedup Member Posts: 14
    I've been researching new cars for the last month and settled on the Scion xB. I've been comparing it to about 10 different cars and nothing really offers the value for the money. The cars that come closest (to me) are the Corolla/Matrix and Honda Fit. But with those you still have to pay extra to get many things that are standard on the xB.

I've found it frustrating to negotiate the sale of an xB, because frankly there is no negotiation. I thought that in this economy with even Toyota's sales down 30-40% and having a losing sales quarter (the first since 1938) that the "pure pricing" model would go out the window in favor of moving some cars. No deal.

I emailed about 8 dealerships and each told me the same thing. They do not negotiate on price. Some dealers were offering to throw in extras, like free tires for life or a free lifetime warranty after the factory one expires. (These dealers were the furthest from me, so I did not take these offers too seriously - I'd read the fine print first.)

The big sticking point has been the "documentation" charges each dealer has. In the offers I've gotten they vary from $300-600. I understand these fees are mostly pure profit so naturally I am trying to negotiate these away. Most dealers refuse. You would think that selling a car for sticker price in this economy would be enough of a profit, but I guess the dealers around here (Massachusetts) aren't hurthing that bad yet. If I can't get a dealer to eliminate or sharply reduce this fee I'll probably wait a month or so to see how the car market is. I don't mind giving the dealers a profit, but MSRP is enough (even at sticker tough the xB is a good deal).

The best offer I've gotten so far was:

MSRP: $16420
    state tax: $821 (5%)
    doc.: $299
    title: $50
    plate: $36
    inspection sticker: $29

The only room the dealer has to play is with the documentation fee. Anyone had any luck in getting this reduced or waived?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Have you checked with Fitzmall, they have dealerships in both MD and PA and prices seem to be running close to invoice.
    Thanks for that information; I had no idea they existed. Their prices are about $1000 below MSRP. The problem is they are about 430 miles from my house. I also couldn't find much information online from people who have completed a long distance purchase from them. Lots of people saying, "check them out," but very few who talked about actually doing it.
  • hdfanatichdfanatic Member Posts: 4
    Stopped by dealership in Lawton, OK (Fiesta Toyota/Scion). They had 2 xB's. 1 was an automatic with spoiler and a protectant package. They wanted $18500 and they would not budge. I walked. This dealership does offer a lifetime warranty on all new car purchases, but that didn't interest me much because i have never had to use a warranty on a toyota.
    I think I've ended my quest for an xB, at least for now. The best offer I got was to pay MSRP, plus a $249 documentation fee. The same dealer also offered me an 08 at MSRP with no documentation fee. I do not feel either deal is reasonable in this market so I walked.

About six other dealers had much higher doc. fees (up to $600) and all of them refused to lower or eliminate the fee. I think I'm going to check out the Matix. It's a compatible vehicle, but you have to pay extra for cruise, stability control and some other convenience features. The Matix gets better gas mileage though.
    I do agree with you that the xB is still a great value for MSRP (though it took me a while and a lot of comparisons to similar models to reach this conclusion).

Where I disagree is that there is a variance in the price people are paying for Scions from dealer to dealer. The difference is in the documentation fee that dealers tack on to "process paperwork." In Massachusetts and Connecticut I surveyed eight dealers about the xB. The MSRP's were all the same, true. But there was a wide variance to the doc. fees: from $299 to $600. One dealer told me that the profit on Scions was "miniscule" at MSRP. The thinking seems to be that these dealers need the documentation fees to make more profit. In New York (a neighboring state) the doc. fees are capped at $45, so where is the fairness?

In my negotiation with dealers, all told me they couldn't sell an xB lower than MSRP or risk losing their franchise. While that may be true, I wish Scion would be just as vigorous in enforcing that dealers do not sell their Scions for over MSRP.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I think where there may be some confusion is that all dealerships don't sell the same vehicle at the same price nationwide. My understanding is that as long as the dealership sells the same vehicle to everyone at the same price and that doesn't have to be at MSRP.