Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    That yellow is nice, but it has a sport tune muffler that I would not want.

I have an excellent dealer for service for all the work on the Scion. Its not the same dealer where I bought mine. Funny how that works.

Here's one to throw out. Imagine Deep Purple as a special edition.
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    I think the design, specially the slab sides can carry off most colors with ease, like a big canvas. Deep purple would be good color, but even the black cherry that they have on the XA would be great.
    Black Cherry is one of the main colors on all models.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Is that TRD muffler the "buzzy" sounding one? I haven't heard one yet but if it sounds like a chainsaw I would be annoyed. I just installed my Zeta Storage armrest last night. It looks great!! It matches the interior perfectly and looks factory. The armrest installs in about 10 minutes and attaches to the seat tracks without impeding the operation of the seats. My 9 yr. old son and I installed it and it was so easy that I just gave him a few hints and then watched him do the work. It flips up out of the way if needed and does not cover the rear drink holder. This is a good product for Xb owners.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Please share that information with other owners in our regular (non-pricing) discussion about the Scion xB. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks for the info on that armrest, the car needs one and I am buying it
    Any news on that Air Intake?
  • drr2drr2 Member Posts: 2
    We had a strange experience when we tried to buy an xB earlier this week. Has any one else come across this? We wanted to order a color/transmission combination that they didn't have on the lot and to choose several add on options. We did not try to haggle over the price or accessories. Salesman said no problem, he could get us the car in 10 to 14 days max. He gave us a total price, but said he could not guarantee us that price even if we put down the deposit. He said the posted prices only apply to merchandise on the lot that day. Our final sales price might be higher--apparently depending on what the dealer desires to declare on day of delivery. He was very cagy, refusing to say or put in writing what our final sales price might be. Of course, if you decline the car at time of delivery, they keep your $500 deposit. This smelled like a scam so we walked away. I called and complained to Toyota but they said this was acceptable business practice for their dealers. I say Buyer Beware :lemon:
    You need to post the name of the dealer and city/state on this site so consumers are educated about them. They may have been talking about extra shipping fees from another part of the country. If your dealer is in California and he finds your color/trans combo in Fla., he will charge you for the transportation costs. The problem for you is that you don't know the real cost to ship the car. He might pay a dedicated hauler $300 and might charge you $750. If you limit your search and shipping to a 100 mile radius you usually won't get charged any extra $$$ I say shop at several dealers. And if that is not possible do to distance, deal over the net. Test drive the Xb at the dealer you don't trust and make a deal with the net dealer.
    It is better to widen your search and you should be able tp pick up the right car abd drive it down to where you live, dealers will invariably try to seize upon your desperation, they take advantage of the line..... dealer is free to set the actual price...I do feel they are descended from horse traders of yore.
    Yes you are correct. Widen the dealer net. As far as the intake...no I haven't done it yet. I'm still trying to get enough feedback on whether it is worth the $$$. It seems like K&N and Injen are the way to go in that dept. I'd like to do the muffler, but not one of those buzzy types.
  • timcsim7timcsim7 Member Posts: 4
    I test drove an '05 xB in November at John Elway Toyota in Centennial (Denver) CO. I was looking for a White/ 5 speed. The salesman tried to push me into a Camo/ 5 speed or a Black Cherry/ Auto. When I offered to take one of those at a lower price he informed me of the NO HAGGLE pricing. I finally decided to have them find a White/ 5 speed for me. "No problem! We'll have it in a couple days!" It was 30 days before I planned to take delivery The salesman knew two weeks in advance what day I was going to pick it up and he assured me it would be ready. "30 minutes for paperwork and you'll be out of here." On delivery day, I waited 4 hours for wheel covers, stereo and an alarm system. The 17" wheels and lowering springs still had not arrived. They wanted me to bring it back to have them installed. I live 250 miles away. They ended up paying another dealer (Dodge City Toyota) to install the springs for me and I bought my own wheels. That only happened after I got Scion Customer Service involved. Those guys were great! Elway's use of high pressure tactics will stop me from buying from them again. Next time I'll go to Dodge City. Anyone else have these kinds of problems?

I paid 14100 for the xb, 945 for the springs and alarm. They paid 220 to Dodge City Toyota for installing the springs. The price seems reasonable. I've seen used '04's for the same money.

timcsim7

"05 Polar White
    5 speed
    Toyota Alarm
    18" Diable X-Calibers
    Sprint Suspension springs
    I had a Toyota alarm added to my '05 and now my doors lock automatically. Don't know if you're willing to spend $500 (dealer installed) though...
    When you get the alarm does it work with the same remote that comes with the Xb, or do they provide another remote? Also, do they give you 2 remotes with the alarm?

'05 TCM auto.
    Scion alloys
    strut tie bar
    fog lights
    floor mats
  • jamesgangjamesgang Member Posts: 47
    My buying experience was quite different. Of course I am in small town USA.
    First I had to decide if the xB was the car for me (long, long time since I drove a compact). To make this decision I needed to find an auto to test drive. The dealer in my town had now xB's or any coming in - except the 'special'. The next closest dealer did have an auto, but I struggled to get there during open hours. The third closest had none - didn't know when they would - then had one in only a couple days. That one I drove. Still wasn't sure. Spent all last Saturday doing some serious shopping xB and otherwise. Drove another auto at the 2nd dealer. Both the dealers I drove cars at did not know when they could get the 'rare' camo color for me.
    I went on line Sunday - designed my 'camo' - no big deal (nothing but auto) and listed my local dealer. They called Monday to confirm my interest. Called again Tuesday to say they found the camo. Got together Thursday to take delivery. No high pressure to add on extra warranties etc. They even met my on-line financing quote.
    Best car buying experience I've ever had.
    Oh yeah, the 2nd dealer called me Thursday morn to tell of having a camo-auto on the lot. I returned the call today while driving mine.
    Also, the dealer I bought from said it was the easiest dealer/dealer trade he ever made. Camo-autos all over the place.
    I think I'm gonna like this camo-box.
    Chris of the JamesGang
  • drr2drr2 Member Posts: 2
    Vandergriff Scion, Arlington TX. Salesman implied the price might change due to change in vehicle or option price, not delivery price. In any case, if a middle man is not able to guarantee, at time of deposit, a final sales price for product to be delivered within 2 weeks, then he is either incompetent or running a scam. I have reported to FTC and state Attorney General for what it's worth.

Thanks for suggestion re using a net dealer.
    I was even told...if I were trading, the trade allowed at the first dealership would be the allowance at ALL dealerships. Probably a vin number entered into a data base.
    ThanksMuch
    Chris of the JamesGang
    I got only two remotes. They lock/unlock the doors and at the same time turn on/off the alarm. They also have a Panic button on the back. The salesman called it a Toyota alarm, but my remotes have Scion logos on them. That help?

'05 Polar White
    5 Speed
    18" Diable X-Calibers
    Sprint Performance Springs
    My salesman called a White/ 5 speed "rare"! I guess it's only rare if they don't have it. I will admit that I had trouble finding a 5 speed to test drive. I looked at two other dealers before Elway. The first had only autos and the second had no xB's.
    Yes, thanks for the alarm update. I'm exploring the possibility of installing one in my '05 TCM Xb.
  • klinvaklinva Member Posts: 3
    I seriously considered the xB and appreciated the comments made here, especially by crazedcommuter, who lives in my area. It's a neat car, but we decided to go with the Toyota Matrix (purchased at Leesburg Toyota, BTW), because hubby was more comfortable in it and we could get the side airbags. I will be checking Edmunds forums again next time we're in the car market.
    Klinva..Congrats on your new Matrix. I liked Leesburg Toyota/Scion better that the other area dealers. They were not rushing me to buy and explaining everything about the car as they went. The Matrix is a fine car also. I test drove it twice and was close to buying the XRS version. I believe that the seats are very similar in style and fit. Ultimately it came down to front and rear seat room for my family, and the Xb was the winner in that category.
    You made a good choice. We have a Vibe (Matrix) that we bought in Sep 04. Remarkable similarities there (incl the MPG). Enjoy the summer. Happy motoring.
  • xbdadxbdad Member Posts: 1
    We went to Toyota of Kirkland twice before buying our xB.
    Both visits were pleasant. We originally thought we wanted an automatic, but decided the manual was more fun to drive. We got the Solar Yellow 2.0. It's bright!
    But with all the rain in the Norhwest, we don't dissapear into the pea soup. The xB is totally different than our Saab wagon which has every option you can think of. But both of us find that we like taking the xB out for most everything 'cept the long trips. We were pleased with the "no haggle" pricing which Toyota did purposely to attract Gen Y buyers. Scions are hardly limited to younger buyers; in other forums I am finding that the age of xB buyers ranges from 16 to 91 (retired Eastern Airlines pilot in Florida). Admittedly, it's an odd design which is not universally liked, but there are surprising numbers of folks of all ages who like it a lot. We've never been waved at so much in any car we've ever owned!
  • chheangchheang Member Posts: 1
    just purchased a scion xb in el monte's longo scion for 15486 out the door. no floor mats, nothing extra.... just the car
    Hi xbdad, You are right about the fun factor. We bought ours in early Apr and really drove it and it quite a few waves. 4000 ,miles later it is fun when I can get my hands on it (the wife and son are early risers).You should get good mpg by 2000 miles or so, we are getting 34+ mixed driving. Have fun.
  • blainers1blainers1 Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking into the Xb myself. Thinking the blue. Id love the yellow, but i dont think thats gonna happen..Ive never even seen one in that color except for on Ebay.I was quoted 15223 for the auto trans, with floormats and the bumper protector. Also, this blue is supposed to have some design down at the bottom of it. I dont know how well I'll like that. Im going monday for a test drive and to check it all out. Wish me luck!!
  • xbdriverxbdriver Member Posts: 1
    How is you arm rest working out? I have seen two others on the web. One looks as if it is manufactured by Toyota. The other has storage capacity, i.e. a lid that opens to a compartment. How is your Zeta working for you?
    Hey XBDRIVER, How's it going? The Zeta armrest is a real jewel. It fits perfectly in the XB and is the perfect height for resting your arm while driving. The storage is just so-so, but it feels and looks great in the car. It matches the interior perfectly and everyone thinks it's a factory install. It actually looks and feels much better that the aftermarket Scion armrest that the dealers are peddling. I recommend it to all XB owners. It only took my 9 yr. old 10 minutes to install it with supervision of coarse.
    TheDaughter gave me a Scion issue xB bra for father's day. She had heard me talking of getting a bug deflector and thought the bra was what I was considering. I'm sure it will get to be royal pain having to take it off whenever the CAMOBox gets wet, BUT IT LOOKS GREAT. I'll be taking it over the road today so will let you know if it flaps about. Fits very tight so shouldn't be a problem.

ThanksMuch
    Chris of the JamesGang
    Now that is a great Father's day gift. I was considering one for my TCM Box. I also checked ebay for the 3m clear stick-on bra and I might go that route. There are a lot of sellers on Ebay for the clear bra for about the same price as the clip-on bra. Let us know how your's performs because I do like the way the black bras look on the XB.
  • yellotoaster49yellotoaster49 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Solar Yellow 2.0 xB in March. I saw an ad for it in a magazine and immediately called the saleman that we were working with and he was able to get one of the first ones released. I have #49 or 2500. It was a great buying experiance and have had no problems with the car at all. The no haggling price is also a great feature. With the Release Series package and some other added in features that I wanted, the total came close to 18,000$ which wasn't that bad. I got the automatic with added the extra $800 or so in and the package and few more minor options. I love this car and have nothing bad to say about it.
    I've put the bra off and on numerous times (a very simple process I might add) - for rain and/or car washes. It seems to retain its original integrety. That is, it hasn't become loose at all. It absolutely does not flutter at highway speeds. The bunji type hold downs are still very tight. All in all I have to rate this as a very good product. I don't know who makes it for Scion, but it is the actual xB bra _ I kindof like that as well.
    Crooked Chris Camo
  • jimk4jimk4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I drove an xB and loved it except it sits so low to the road. Would 17's improve road clearance? And how would 17's affect gas mileage?

Thanks, Jim
    The xB has a ground clearance of 6.1"
    I don't know how this compares to comparable vehicles. I do know I had to modify my ramps for oil changes :)
    Upsizing the wheels will likely not gain you significant ground clearance. You end up with less tire sidewall. So, will not gain in the total outside diameter of the tire. You will get a better look with the larger wheels (subjective of course), and the ride quality will suffer. But then, cornering will improve.
    TheWife had 16s on her cougar (now 15s). There is a significant difference in the ride. 17s would make the xB ride and handle like a go-cart :D
    ThanksMuch
    Crooked Chris Camo
  • sheila_917sheila_917 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a 50 some yr old woman and will be buying a XB within the week. I live in So Calif (desert-not alot of traffic for So Cal). I can't decide if I should get it with automatic or stick. Thought the small engine would need a stick to give it some "ump", but test drove the auto and it seemed to have quiet alot of pick up. Haven't had the chance yet to drive a stick, dealer seems to have all automatics. Any thoughts on this?
    I personally have a stick and its a wonderful shifter. Its also cheaper to get a stick. The automatic will give you slighlty better gas mileage though, because it is not geared as low. However, the differences are not to lose sleep over; 1mpg.

I drove an automatic and it has plently of power, but the manual (in my opinion) is more fun. It would be fun in the middle of the desert(no congestion), too.

By the way, don't forget to get the front strut tie bar. Its worth every bit of $225.
    OK, going to show my ignorance....... What's a front strut tie bar? Do they keep the car more stable? I thought all cars built had them....(things that make ya go "hummmm")... Thanks for the info..
    Its a tie bar that goes across the top of the engine. It makes the vehicle handle very well. Thank of it as a big saftey device. Plus it makes the car more fun.
    Ok, well, I'm off tomorrow to purchase one (with the tie bar! Hey, I"m all for a little more fun in life!), if I can find the green or blue in a stick. Thank you so much for all of your help, it's appreciated. :)
  • fosman77fosman77 Member Posts: 13
    I'm a fifty some year old male. I just purchased a new xb with automatic. I am very happy with it, it has enough power for me, but I tend to drive the speed limit. I am using it to for a work car, about 35 miles each way and it does well on the freeway. I filled up today and got 30mpg. It only has 260 miles on it, so maybe better mileage after break in.
  • mnikosmnikos Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a 2006 xB, my fifth or sixth Toyota (first was a 1974 Celica; most recent was the 25th Anniversary Celica GT convertible in 1997). In between, I've mostly driven Buicks, and I love both. I got the Black Cherry Pearl, which I had read was discontinued for 2006 but it was the first 2006 my dealer (Toyota of the Desert, Cathedral City, California) received; I called to see if they had any 06's and this one was just getting detailed. Drove out with it start-to-finish in a couple of hours. I LOVE the no-hassle 'pure pricing'. First time I've bought a car from a dealer without stomach cramps. I paid about $17000 including tax, license, 6-year 100,000 extended warranty, floor mats, arm rest and new radio option that accepts iPod. I used a 97 Buick Regal GS as trade-in. When I first checked at this dealership last week (before they got the 2006) I was offered between $750-1000 for trade-in. When I went in Monday and bought this car, a different salesman brought back $1200 as the trade-in, so trade-in is subjective even at the same dealership. Minor complaints: steering column is a little too short; a telescoping column would make it more comfortable for me. Haven't had it long enough to note much of anything else, except that it feels like I'm driving a sports car for the first time in my life. I commute into the mountains above Palm Desert on a steep winding highway, and this little guy takes it like a scalded rabbit. I love my xB, and am amazed at the value for the price. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Forgot to mention mine is an automatic. I also noted that mileage on the window sticker dropped for the 2006 by one mpg for both highway and town driving, from the 2005 stickers on the same lot, same transmission. Anyone know why?
    Maybe they geared it lower for that drop in 5hp between the two years.

How is the Scion armrest?

I got an 05 Blue Onyx Pearl xB before the armrest option was available. Crazedcommuter has the aftermarket armrest from zeta products and I heard it was great. Just curious.
    Just got a call from Scion that the armrest I ordered was in. I think it was $120 or so, and I assume that includes installation, but didn't ask. But after going to the Zeta website and seeing pictures of their armrest with storage, I'm going to tell Scion to keep theirs, and order the Zeta. It's about $170. I also ordered the radio upgrade that accepts iPod. Now I guess I have to buy an iPod...
    My wife keeps bugging about that armrest, I need to get that Zeta one.
    Tundradude, you've been promising to get her an armrest for months now (I just read the entire thread last night, so all of your empty promises are fresh in my mind). Just go online to their website, order it and install it for her. I'd bet there's a homemade apple pie in it for you... I ordered mine this afternoon. $184.99 including shipping, for the Zeta with storage. If you want some kind of cup holder that hangs on the back that's $10 more, but it didn't sound like it would add to it. I like the idea of storage, and it looks more like a real console cover, whereas the Scion armrest they took out of the box to show me today looked kind of like a piece of foam with black velvet wrapped over it, and none too neatly.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Check eBay- there are about 5 different kinds of xB armrests there.
    One is big and has a flip up lid with storage for $99 with free shipping
    My wife enjoyed that.
  • dogwriterdogwriter Member Posts: 1
    I am in my late 40s and just signed the papers for a 2006 BOP xB and I am pretty excited.I pick it up in the next week - I had to go all the way down to Madison, WI, to find a dealership. The salesperson was nice and it was nice not to have to haggle, but then in stepped the finance person, who I will call Cruelle DeVille.... I am financing on my own and not getting an extended warranty,so she was not able to talk me out of any more money,so she was pretty nasty to me. And when I DARED to look over the contract she looked at her watch several times..... Man, she made the experience stink.

The good news is that I live in the woods and have a 32 mile commute to work and I have been driving my Ford Explorer for the past 6 years. I am keeping the Exp for our nasty winters,but the xB should save me significant gas dollars! Plus it looks cool,LOL!

Babe,the Blue OxB
    Hey Tundradude,

You really need that armrest. I am enjoying the heck out of mine. I've looked at all the other armrests out there and the Zeta still is the best. I just turned 12,000 on my XB and avg. 34 mpg. The last experiment with the car was to fill it up to the neck and just drive as far as I could before filling up. When I finally pulled in for gas I had logged 368.3 miles and re-filled 11.1 gal. of gas. I left that whole .8 gal in the tank as a safety net. This shows up to 33.1 mpg cruising around the Wash., DC area at 75 mph with the A/C on to combat the 95 degree heat. I laugh at my co-workers that complain about their Tahoe's and Explorers 11 mpg and the $80 price tag to fill them up. I've performed all of my own oil changes with Castrol 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filters. The 1 gripe that I do have is that the Scion floor mat on the driver's side has worn out. Right under the gas pedal it just wore out. I suspect cheap carpet process and will try to get Leesburg Scion to ante up for a new mat. Other that that I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the Box.