Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
Welcome. Please post your buying experience here!

Comments

• teknogtiteknogti Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a Scion xB. However, the dealership i went to stated that there is no negotiation with the price. They stated that the MSRP is the upfront price and they have adopted the same philosophy of saturn. No price haggling. Just pay what msrp states. Had anyone else negotiated price or told the same thing i have. I dont feel like paying msrp, knowing the vehicle value will go down as soon as i drive it off the lot and know that i am upside down already. All the other vehicles i have bought I bought at or below invoice price, which the dealer still made money due to the holdback.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No negotiation on prices for Scion. Any dealers not following this policy risk losing their future allocations of vehicles.
    If you do not want to pay MSRP then your choice is to buy a used Scion or some other make.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Actually... That's not exactly true, dealers have to sell for their "posted" prices, which are not always MSRP.
    It's illegal for a manufacturer to dictate what any dealer sells their product for.

Each dealer can set their own price, which has to be posted and they won't play games.
    Scion does verify that dealers sell for the posted prices and are not negotiating.
    So, it still pays to shop around and compare dealers.
    Is there any Scion dealer that sell for less than MSRP? Other than Carmax which sells for $3 to $7 less than MSRP?
  • teknogtiteknogti Member Posts: 2
    i guess i will not be spending 16k for a echo (scion) then. What a waste. (my opinion) Thanks for the info though.
    xB is $14,165 with manual and $14,965 with auto. That is a significant difference in comparison to $16K. And what other $14,200 vehicle includes stability control, 160 watt stereo CD player w/ MP3, keyless entry, AC, antilock brakes, tilt wheel, power windows? I know of none.
    This vehicle needs no discounts to sell.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    The Elantra GT hatch with ABS, traction control, power sun roof, leather, trip computer, heated side mirrors, fog lights, 4 wheel discs, more HP, tilt wheel, driver side lumbar adjustment, MP3 6 speaker CD, cruise, power windows, mirrors and locks, variable intermittent front wipers and intermittent rear, etc., etc. With rebates you can get these in the $14 range with a 10 year warranty. And unlike the Xb, you get standard side air bags. No such option in the Xb.
    Elantra GT is a fine alternative. It does require rebates to meet the xB pricepoint though.
  • roketsciontistroketsciontist Member Posts: 5
    Maybe so, but I can't drive with two of my best friends (6'5",300 lbs & 6'6", 260 lbs)and myself (6'0", 240 lbs) in the Elantra and we can all sit comfortably in my 2005 xB!
    How much did you pay for your xB?

Payload is 920 lbs on xB. If you have one more friend in your xB they can only be 120 lbs;)
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    I'm looking to get an Xa within a month. I have visited one local dealer who also would not budge on the MSRP. I'm going to try a few others than just go with the best buy. What about the accessories such as floor mats? Can I at least get these at invoice or are these prices not negotiable either? ....What about the $400+ destination charge? Is there any room for baragin with Scion's?

Thanks for any info!!
    Accessories are available at reduced prices from many sources. www.partznet.com is one of many sites on internet. Do a search for scion accessories using a search engine.
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    Are you guys able to negotiate the BS documents fee? THe local dealers want $299 here where one dealer in Lake City, Florida under $50. Some places even charge up to $600. Any tips on fighting this fee??

Thanks!
  • roberta3roberta3 Member Posts: 1
    After visiting two dealerships in person, and three others via e-mail, NONE will do any negotiating on price of vehicle and options. Best we could do was one free oil change after promotional three being offered. Caution with dealers offering free "lifetime" oil changes--cost is added in when you bring in the vehicle for scheduled maintenance. Was told that failure to bring in for scheduled maintenance could void warranty! Am still checking around, but it doesn't look hopeful even though here in Southern California with a multitude of dealers to choose from.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    News Flash:
    -The whole Scion Concept is that dealers don't negotiate- at all.
    -Three free oil changes are included in all Scions
  • mydingomydingo Member Posts: 4
    First let me say, I just bought my xB last Sunday and I am really pleased with the fun factor. What you hear about the no-negotiation is not exactly true. If you look at the sticker on the car you will see that the MSRP is around $13,800 plus a $499.00 service, prep, handling charge. The dealer price is about $14,299 or so. Than you start adding the dealer prep ($699) misc items that they do to the car and the next thing you know it around $15,058. Buy the time you get out of there you're at about $16,985. The dealer may not be able to change the MSRP price but mine waived the $699.00 and threw in free tints,mats, 3 full tanks of gas and 3 details. You get the 3 oil changes for free anyway with all scions. I don't think thats a bad deal for an even $16,000 out the door. At first I was concerned about the price, but in Florida these things are selling so fast they get what they ask for. It took 3 hours of wheeling and dealing to drop the $1000 of the price. I think the time to shop is at the end of the month. You should try to find the salesman which has not met his quota for the week or the month. Remember that supply and demand will dictate whether your dealer will negotiate the OTD price. Good Luck.
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    This is great information. Thank you for sharing your experience!
    How can you compare the Elantra to the xBoxx? They are two completly different vehicles. The Elantra is a CAR and the xBoxx is a VAN. You should be making the comparison with the $20,000 Plus Honda Element. I think the xBoxx is in the family of "special" autos like the VW Beetle, Mini Coopers, and the PT Cruisers. Its not about how expensive or cheap they are, its about their "characters" as autos.

Peace.
    xBoxx? Xbox is a video game console by Microsoft.

Considering function and cost the xB is a 4 passenger 2WD economy car $13-$15K price range. It's competitors are economy cars.
    The xb is not a van, it is not a truck, it is an economy car. And as a side not I've not seen anyone driving an xB in my area that is under the age of 35. Sales manager at local dealership said xB are selling based on Toyota reputation for reliability and quality, utility (amount of space) and number #1 purchase consideration is COST. They sell them despite their looks, not due to their looks.

How much did you pay for your economy car?
    In IL an xB with automatic may be purchased for $14,995 wfreight included with only addtional fees the $53 doc fee and tax, title and license.
    The doc fees and prep fees charged in the southern states is a complete ripoff.
    Yes, I know what an XBox is, I have one. The xB (notice the small "x" and the capitalized "B") is a BOX shaped Vehicle. Hence the nick name "Boxx". I prefer to use the "x" and "xx" in xBOXX to distinguish it from the cute little game box from Microsoft. Some people hate it and some people love it. Either way its cheaper than a full blown computer but does the job (mostly) when it comes to gaming. Just like the xBoxx does when it comes to being a utility vehicle.

I disagree with you that people buy it for the price. I found cheaper Autos from Nissan, Susuki and Kia with more options for even less cash. None had the style or character of the xBoxx.

Its about the looks of the Vehicle. Do you think people buy the Aztec or the Element for the price. I wouldn't even take one as a gift. They are the ugliest cars on the road today. The owner for some reason fell in love with the style of the vehicle not the price. If it was just the price they would have gone with something more conventional. By the way my other cars are a Volvo s70 which is a very sweet ride and a BMW 325i Sedan which drives like nothing else. I am thinking about selling the BMW and keeping the xBoxx as my primary vehicle.
    I ,like many others, bought the xBoxx for it's style not it's price.

It "sounds" like you just don't like the xBoxx, and that is fine. I am happy that you know what you don't like. But why are you wasting your time here critizing a vehicle to the people who own them. (EDITED)

By the way I just moved a couch and a small frig using my xBoxx. So I guess its more a VAN than it is a CAR. I also have 2 car seats and 3 passengers in the rear seat with plenty of comfort. Lets see, thats 2 in front and 3 in rear that sounds like 5 (I believe).

In Florida the basic xBoxx is between $14000 and $16000 depending on the basic options (Manual, Auto and misc. If you get crazy with the options you can drive away in a $21,000 "MINI-MINIVAN" with about a 138 HP motor and a serious aero-package.

Either way you look at it, its a head turner, period.

Peace
    quote y dingo -It sounds like you just don't like the xBoxx, and that is fine. I am happy that you know what you don't like. But why are you wasting your time here critizing a vehicle to the people who own them. Maybe you can be more helpful in a forum where people are "thinking" about buying a vehicle.-end

My earlier comments are not "critizing" the xB. xB is a great small vehicle. Are you able to understand English?
    I got that. I misunderstood your point. You had a conflicting comment about the utilitarian use of the "xB". I still don't agree with the comparison of the "xB" to a "car".

Oh yeah...... I do understand english, thanks for checking.

Peace
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Let's try to get back to Prices Paid and Buying Experiences. This is not the place for debates, comparisons, or fighting. We want to hear about Prices Paid. Thanks,
  • miemaniemiemanie Member Posts: 1
    I'm just wondering any one in this forum know about the crash test for XB. People in this forum talk about all the goodies about XB, and some say about it is not giving the gas mileage that was promised which is 30/35. I'm not sure how well it will handle on the crash test with out a side air bag. When I went for the test drive to the dealer I found out the exterior the Metal part didn't impress me at all I felt like it is not a strong metal flexes very easily for the new car. If it is not for the cheap metal I would buy this car closing my eyes off.......Any help from any of the forum members or Edmunds's Team will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for you time and Help.
  • santafedudesantafedude Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a new Scion xB at Beaver Toyota in Santa Fe. The buying experience at this dealer was very pleasant. It has been by far the best car-buying experience in my life! I chose the options I wanted, put down a $500 deposit, and had it ordered direct from Japan. The salesman updated me regularly with a call when it came into the port of entry (L.A.) and called me again when it arrived in Albuquerque, NM. I waited about 4 weeks total before it arrived at the dealership. I spent less than an hour and a half at the dealership signing paperwork and getting everything squared away - no aftermarket sales demos, etc.
    As for price, it seems that they have a no-bargaining policy. I, for one, find the vehicle to have great value; so, I paid what the same price I calculated while adding options on the scion.com web page. No vehicle can compare to this one - styling, economy, and standard features for the price. Although a bit underpowered, my little "toaster on wheels" is roomy, different and fun to drive.
  • 2goldens2goldens Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2005 scion xb last Thursday, and we love it. No negotiations on pricing, didn't add any extras. We have a 5spd manual, so with dealer fees the total was 14,195, plus tax and tags. I have 2 golden retreivers, so I need the space - I just got rid of my 96 taurus sw, which had all the gadgets and whistles available at the time. There are a few things I miss-like the doors locking automatically, and the side view mirrors defrosting with the rear window defroster on. By the way, if anyone reads the manual for the 2005 Scion xB, I'm told it is a misprint that it states that the side view mirrors defrost with the rear window defogger. I loved the salesperson- just right, not pushy, and everyone at the dealership was very nice-,we got our Scion from Sloane Toyota in Glenside, Pa
  • alexaalexa Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a new XB hopefully w/ leather seats and an car alarm as my extra options. Is it true that the msrp is set by scion? Any tips on what I can negotiate for would be really appreciated. And a realistic price of what I would pay "out the door".
    I have a new baby + we need a bigger car to commute to the babysitter/work. Thanks in advance! I'm in San Francisco, if that matters.
  • carguy516carguy516 Member Posts: 2
    I work at a big Toyota dealer in Dayton, New Jersey. Now that getting a different price is not an option where you buy your Scion is easier. You should take some things into consideration when it is time to buy. First you have to feel comfortable with your salesperson, did he or she answer all your questions and are they concerned with your needs. Too often I find future customers brushed aside due to stereo typing of age or dress. Scion is a great reliable and affordable vehicle. As a salesperson I assume everyone who comes in to inquire about a Scion is a serious buyer. I find the Scion buyer to be more knowledgeable than most customers who are looking for a vehicle. I get many customers who come in to my dealership after they had a bad experience at other places. Bad for other places, good for me.
  • cgreenecgreene Member Posts: 2
    Ditto this buying experience! (except for the ordering from Japan). I bought mine in Illinois; $14,195 base price for a manual transmission, just under $1,500 in accessories, $1,500 down payment. No haggling on anything, no pressure to add items, less than an hour and a half doing the closing paperwork. After tax title etc total was around $17,000. A very pleasant car buying experience. I've had the xB for 2 and a half months and I love it. Many comments, questions, and looks. I bought it for the looks, price, practicality in that order. Undoubtedly one of the best buys for the money on the current auto market.
  • dwildhirtdwildhirt Member Posts: 1
    You may not be able to negotiate on the sticker price, but you can still haggle if you bring a trade-in. It goes without saying that you have to shop smart. If a dealer is trying to screw you over with "documentation fees" or other BS, find another dealer. The fixed-price concept means you can go to any Scion store and get the same base MSRP.

I live in Colorado, but bought our xB in Oregon to avoid paying about $800 in sales tax. Of course, you need to have a legitmate Oregon address to register the car (my folks live there). If I'm not mistaken, New Hampshire is the only other state with no sales tax.

I had an excellent buying experience with Ron Tonkin Toyota Scion in Portland. They had the color I wanted, and I was able to do most of the deal via e-mail and fax. When arrived to pick up the car, there were no surprises, no bogus doc fees or other markups, and no pressure to finance through the dealer when I already had a loan through Lending Tree. Oh, there were the usual offers for extended warranty and such, but no hard sell. I got out the door for $14,641 including registration and a few accessories.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in speaking with anyone who has recently purchased any of the following vehicles: Chrysler 300, Mazda 3, Scion xB, Audi A6, Land Rover LR3 or the Honda Odyssey. He would like to discuss which other vehicles you considered, why you bought the vehicle you bought, likes/dislikes, etc. If you are interested in speaking with this reporter, please forward your name, the vehicle you purchased and your daytime contact information to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com no later than end of day Tuesday, Dec. 14. Thank you

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is hoping to speak with a Scion xB owner - particularly anyone who was attracted by the spare, Japanese-type styling.

Please send your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 10, 2005.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon

PR Director

Edmunds.com
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I' curious...did anyone ever talk to the reporter concerning the Xb purchase?
    Crazedcommuter
  • jj_accordjj_accord Member Posts: 8
    Since it's a Toyota, can you get the extended warranty (platinum?) when you buy a new xB?
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    When purchasing the xB we knew about the no hagel pricing on the base price and the options but hoped to get them to deal on the interest rate and the extended warranty. We got the one we wanted with $100 down and 4.7% interest rate for 60 months. They would not negotiate the warranty and we payed $875 for a 7 year 75,000 mile platnuim warranty with 0 deductable. Last year I was able to get the same warranty on my wife's RAV4 for $550. The manager said Scion does audits to make sure they are charging what they should.
    I think that $875 is pretty steep for an extended warranty. I looked at 2 used Xb's the other day. Each one had less that 5k miles and were probably demos. But each Xb was certified to 100k miles and the prices were $15800. They each had a few optios like mats, the alloy wheels, and the 6 disc system. That might be a viable alternative to the $875 warranty, and one that I'm exploring now.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My car was 15,933 new.
  • top1top1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a vehicle to carry a wheel chair (HoverAround).
    The Scion xB appears to be my answer. I am a disabled vet and may have safety concerns of the xB. After looking at one of the news reports of the "new" safety test it appears that side air bags are the way to go. However, Scion xB do not have this option.
    I bought my Scion XB from Leesburg Scion in Leesburg, Va. Great treatment, friendly sales staff, that take the time to explain the entire car buying process. This is the 9th new car I have purchased and it was one of the best sales experiences. They gave a very fair price for my trade and had the options installed when promised. I shopped at Hagerstown Scion before Leesburg, but the trade-in values stunk at Hagerstown, hence my trip to Leesburg. I will definitely shop Leesburg Scion again.
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    I bought mine from Tyson,s Corner, VA yesterday. No options, 0 down, 4.8 %, 279 p.m. 60 months. Only sore point, took 4 hours to install the wheel covers and stereo. No haggling but i should have tried to bring down the dealer processing fees etc. Good thing was that I got to test drive an Xa and an Xb in yesterday's s :) tormy weather. Both came out on top (both 5 spd MT). The Xb won because of space and more unconventional looks. We have a Vibe AWD which replaced my wife's 92 Corolla in 2004. I know my next car will be an Xa and I am 49 years of age. Possibly the series 1.0, can any one share their experience of these limited series?
    Congrats on the Xb purchase. It's a great car for the DC commute. 4 hrs. for wheel covers and a stereo? That's just poor delivery. Tysons Toyota/Scion is a huge dealership.. 4 hr delivery time is unacceptable. I won't shop there again after the poor sales help I received there last Sept. Tysons Salesman wore dirty sneakers, dirty pants and jacket, and had 1 crumpled business card in his front pants pocket that he flicked to me. He couldn't drive a stick and stalled it twice out on Rt. 7. He didn't know any details of the car and said he was too busy to learn about every car on the lot. The 2 finance people at Leesburg Scion came from Tysons. They said that they were very glad to get away from that dealership because the whole thing is too big and out of control. I'm glad that you did ok there. My wife seems to have taken a liking to the Xb. We're both in our 40's. She's now finding excuses to run errands alot more now that she can take the Box. I see another Scion in our future if initial quality for the Xb holds out.
    JD Powers will be sending you something in about a month. I sent mind out last week.

The fog lights is the best accessory, but that strut bar is getting more fun as time goes on.

Geekay:

If you did not get any options, why did they change the radio? Didn't you even get the floor mats? I like your rate though. I got 5.25%.

I did drive a xA 1.0, and I really liked it. It was a sharp car. However, thexB was my choice because of all the addtional room. The xB and the xA 1.0 are about the same price. I really enjoyed the moonroof. The xA 2.0 will be out soon in blue.
    I don't believe I have done this;

Blue Onyx Pearl - Manual

Accessories

Fog Lights
    Strut Bar
    Door Sill Enhancements
    Rear Bumper Applique
    Cargo Mat
    Floor Mats

Also bought Titanium Shifter, but have not used. Prefer OEM.

Paid 15,933. Put 500 down. Financed 15,433. 5.25%. 60 months. $293.?? a month. Figured out $464 a month will pay it off in three years which I intend to do.

Also own 95 Corolla DX and 02 Tundra SR5 V8 thats pulls my camper.
    Dear Tundradude, All scions in that lot were with just a paper cover on the radio cavity and no wheel covers. I was so fed up of waiting there that i decided not to buy anything from them except the car as the weather was very bad on Saturday and there were very few 5 speeds in our area that day. The next one was at Laurel and I had already had one credit check run that morning, in addition to one that my dealer in Southern MD ran a couple of days earlier but failed to get me one. I picked up a good set of mats at Target on Sunday for 23.99 (grey/black with carpeted heel area). I do intend to get fog lights at ebay as also a cold or short ram intake. Thanks
    Yeah...the cardboard radio was a real turnoff when I shopped at Younger in Hagerstown. All the Xb's on their lot had it in place of a real stereo. 5 speeds seem to be on the rare side in the DC area. I know that Darcars Scion in Frederick had 2 on their lot last week. I'm pretty happy so far with the Xb. My wife who is usually nonchalant about my vehicle buys, made it a point to drive the Xb on every errand last weekend while I tore the dining room apart.

'05 XB--Thundercloud Metallic
    Fog Lights
    Strut Tie Bar
    Floor Mats
    EM 7 Rims
    Cargo Net

97 Chevy Astro All Wheel Drive
    95 S-10 blazer 2 door
    I have a set of 17 inch performance wheels that my son uses some times on his Honda CRX.. They will do just fine. The car is doing great, more so on our country roads. Only problem, he/she who gets out of the house first in the morning takes it. I think my kids will finally start rising early. One more thing, I talked to my local scion dealer and he says he and some other dealers are attending some kind of orientation training on 18th of this month, it will be Scion products in general and the limited series XA coming out later this year.
    Good way to get your kids up, but then you'll never get to use it.. My 16 yr old wants to drive it all the time, but my 18 yr old only wants to drive our old blazer. I'm amazed how smooth the XB handles on our country roads. It hugs the curves and cruises over the bumps and ruts just fine. I think it's a good thing with the Scion orientation. They might update the sales teams on new options for the XB. What color did you get?
    Mine is also Thunder Cloud, there was a yellow special edition on the lot at Tyson's but I did not want it. Are you planning to take it back to the dealer at 5,000 miles for the free oil change? I am getting about 28-29 mpg but I think it will improve.
    Yes, I will take it back to the dealer for oil changes. You get 3 free oil changes with new Scion purchases. I'll get the oil changed at about 3000 miles on the 1st change, then 4500-5000 on the subsequent ones. I just finished my 2nd tank and I avg. 33.4 mpg, of course that was at 60mph and under. You should get better mileage after a few thousand miles. I also looked at the yellow special edition but I like the Thundercloud better. I think a special edition black with the CAI, TRD exhaust, chrome rims, and a spoiler would look good.