Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    hehe, take it easy. people buy things they feel like, not much you can educate...
  • jrcketjrcket Member Posts: 9
    Your LTZ was great price! 29958 with tax and license and all fees. Even without the 1500 rebate that would been heck of a deal. Tax and license alone would be about 10% of the car. How did you do it? I need some pointers to negotiate, hopefully it works here in SoCal.
  • pete6666pete6666 Member Posts: 29
    That price can't be right. I ordered the exact same car and it just got in today. Nine weeks to the day that the order was put in. 6 Cyl. LTZ with sunroof and 18" wheels,FWD. MSRP is $31535 and dealer invoice is $29,000. At the price he said he got it at with TTL included and the $1500 rebate it is $500 under cost. I retired from the dealer where I ordered the car and got it for $100 over invoice-$29,995.
  • mof22mof22 Member Posts: 5
    jrcket -
    I literally was ready to walk out of the dealership with or without a deal made and made it very clear that there were a number of other cars that I was considering. It was harder to negotiate in Houston and I did hear a number of times from salepeople that "it's just a popular vehicle" and that there really weren't any deals. Frankly, the dealer I ended up going to in Farmersville, Texas I think could negotiate more and made it really easy.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    This looksl like another standard 5% deal to me:

The claim is the guy bought an LTZ with the V6, 18" wheels, and sunroof for $29,958. Edmunds says this car has an MSRP of $31,510 and an invoice of $29,794. If you deduct the two rebates off the MSRP that he claims he got (Conquest and Satisfaction) you end up at $30,100 ($31,510 - $1500) ... which is the standard 5% deal.

I think the dealer then gave him another whopping $52 discount to arrive at the final price of $29,958. As far as the taxes go, he's either paying 6.25% of $30k or he lives out of state where there IS no sales tax...
    Prolly no sales tax. If there was, then thats a heck of a deal because 6.25% is another 1762 off the car price of 29958. In SoCal alone is running at 9.75%, Arnold is getting us good.
    You know, if people are going to post here, the least they can do is get their facts straight before doing so. The guy just bought the vehicle and he already can't remember what the MSRP was? I can remember my MSRPs from 8 and 12 years ago! He says it was "about $30,600", but that doesn't jive with the options he's listed. So he's either understated the MSRP or overstated the options. Either way, it amounts to a bogus post...
    Yeah your right. Prolly wrong msrp with options. Too bad for posts like this.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Can home-link be added as an after-market item?

I test-drove the Equinox today and really liked it. Also drove 3 Volvos: the V50, V70, and XC70. Also very, very nice, but roughly 10K more than the Equinox. The V70 was maybe $6,000 more.

I think the Equinox is a great bargain, and if you get anything off MSRP, so much the better.

My salesman offered me a $750 discount for being a member of USAA. I found out online that there is a slightly better discount, just under $1,000 for being a member of a credit union.

He said that was all he could as far as coming down on price.

Thing is there is nothing on the lot exactly like what I wanted, so our negotiations weren't real serious. I would have to order to get what I want, don't know if that makes a difference in what he's willing to do for me on price.
    I had the same problem. They don't want to give any deals on the in stock equinox because they can't get that many. I ended up ordering an LTZ on Jan. 8th. It came in March 9th. I got $1500 off sticker by ordering. As far as homelink, I clipped my sears remote to the sunvisor and don't even think about it. Tell you one thing. My wife and I love this car. It is so quiet and a dream to drive. The bluetooth is the greatest option. All my neighbors keep coming over to look at it. Good luck with your decision.
  • red57red57 Member Posts: 18
    Can any one help me? Test drove 2010 nox liked it wanted base 2LT with pwr liftgate,cargo management summit white.Had to order it,Jan 26 told 8-12 weeks acceptable. Then the lies started coming from the rep in Thousand Oaks Ca. told can not have till last week of may unacceptable and i am paying cash in full need fhone numbers to someone in GM that can help me or lose the sale to KIa Sarento chevy has taken the fun out of buying a new car. lLooking for customer satisfaction now.called the GM customer assistance number they could not help and closed the file. :sick: ">
  • justshopping2justshopping2 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are going to look at and drive the Equinox tomorrow. We'll check out the Traverse too, if a double stroller won't fit in the trunk of the Equinox. We have GM points. Anyone know how to use them or how many will be allowed? We have a lot. Also, can we use with the GM family discount? We have a trade but we aren't sure what's going to happen with it. We will be looking for a base model Equinox as a few dealers here have 1 or 2 in stock.
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    Equinox is hot. . .according to articles GM is cranking them out as quickly as possible. Previous posts have indicated the same & noted wait times. Being a cash buyer has nothing to do with when your vehicle will be built -- you are not being "shunned". Please! There are likely many people waiting in line ahead of you whose vehicles will get built first. BTW, 8-12 weeks was an "estimate" not the actual delivery date.
    Yes noxes are hot. But when u are told order will be picked up on a date built on a certain week then start changing the story when those dates arrive is not good business. Those dates came straight from the rep not the dealer. the rep is the guy who puts orders to the assembly line he was not truthful to me or dealer so i need some contact info to help with the prob. GM needs to pay attention. Kia sarento plant can kick out 300,000 units a year.The cami plant in canada where the nox is built better be able to match that cause i am seeing alot more 2011 sarento's than 2010 noxes running around here in southern Ore. less money double the warranty :mad:
    I am sorry for what appears to be some serious miscommunication. . .the first thing you should be aware of is that the "rep" does not pull orders to the assembly line. The ordering system does not work that way. BTW, no one here can help you out unless you post your order number.
    Ok my order # nvmsx6. I agreed to pay 500 over invoice now i am asking for the 1500.00 off sticker for customer satisfaction, Every one went silent. I have scheduled a test drive on sun at kia store we'll see. check this out my nox cost 26,569.00 with 2LT pwr lift gate, cargo man, 4cyl fwd / sarento 4cyl fwd Ex heated leather seats awesom 10 speaker infinity stereo with nav backup warning,camera 18' chrome wheels cargo man,all the modern gadgets for 27,360.00 in stock is that a no brainer ? With Chevys poor communiction skills. I am starting to believe they dont care, that is why I can get no help with customer assistanceall they say is they can not help. Why have a help line??????
    Hey did you get 1500.00 off invoice or msrp for ordering??? sez sticker not sure??
    http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/P- ages/news/us/en/2010/Mar/0325_Equinox

Growing Customer Demand Drives Additional Production of Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain

Oshawa, Ontario, March 26, 2010 -- In order to meet growing customer demand for hot-selling Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain models, General Motors is implementing a unique plan to add a third shift at its award-winning Oshawa Assembly Plant to support new Equinox production there.

The Equinox and Terrain are currently produced at GM’s CAMI Automotive plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. Under the plan, CAMI’s Body Shop capacity will be expanded to produce extra Chevrolet Equinox units beyond the plant’s existing capacity to paint and assemble them. These Equinox body assemblies will then be shipped to the Oshawa plant for paint and final assembly alongside the current Chevrolet Impala production. .........
    Yes thats it put candians to work all the more to cancel the order thought i was putting $$$$$ into the US economy no wonder this country is in trouble :surprise:
    Why not look at this as a positive? The ripple down is that all the component suppliers here in the US will benefit. . .as will the dealership(s) in your town.
    I ordered a 6 cyl. FWD with 18 inch wheels and sunroof. The MSRP was $31535. I paid $29995 plus tax and tags. I took delivery March 9th. (8 weeks to order).There were no rebates at all. The rebates ended in January. I had $500 on my GM credit card so I actually paid $29495 plus tax and tags. We absolutely love this car.
    yes that is a good thing but do not think much components are built here in the states tranny think is S. Korea Engine Japan not sure wish could see the list to know all for sure. stereo for sure japan steel proably China :(
    The Equinox and Terrain are currently produced at GM’s CAMI Automotive plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. Under the plan, CAMI’s Body Shop capacity will be expanded to produce extra Chevrolet Equinox units beyond the plant’s existing capacity to paint and assemble them. These Equinox body assemblies will then be shipped to the Oshawa plant for paint and final assembly alongside the current Chevrolet Impala production. The plan also enables CAMI to increase GMC Terrain volumes.

“This plan for CAMI and Oshawa allows us to meet customer demand for hot products while avoiding a potential production over-capacity situation by creatively using our assets and facilities,” said Mark Reuss, president of GM North America. “This innovative approach enables us to ramp up in a timely and cost-effective way and highlights the importance of these plants and communities in our North American plans.”

The third shift to support Equinox production in Oshawa will be added on the Consolidated Line in October and is expected to return approximately 600 employees to the plant. At CAMI, all laid off employees will soon be recalled and the additional body shop volume required to support the Equinox build in Oshawa is expected to result in the need for approximately 70 new jobs, at CAMI by August of this year.

“This is the latest in a series of very positive growth initiatives and new product mandates for our Canadian facilities,” said Kevin Williams, president of GM Canada. “By the end of this year, we expect to recall all laid-off production employees in Oshawa to support the new Equinox, Regal and Camaro convertible production planned there and, at CAMI, we will even be hiring some new workers – truly great news for the employees, dealers, suppliers and communities affected.”
  • ljh3822ljh3822 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, we ordered ours Jan 26 also and it arrived a few days ago. I have yet to pick it up since my husband is out of town. When we ordered there was a 1K incentive we qualified for (which included the 2010 Nox) and now it seems all incentives are excluding the 2010. We prolly won't pick up until Saturday (4/3) so maybe April incentives will be out by then and we will qualify for something, but i doubt it. At least we got a good price. (4 cyl 1LT with Vehicle interface package for 22,699 plus tax, tag title, etc.--this includes 750 for USAA). Speaking of which, when we locked in our price, the USAA was for about 1250 below invoice. Now it's only about 450 below invoice (when you factor in the $750)!!! Crazy!
    edited March 2010
    Wow good for you two good price Ordered jan 26 got a build date of APRIL 12 last Mon. on friday was told build date moved to APRIL 19 :mad: The stories never stop :sick: I will cancel today enough is enough :sick: Test drove loaded EX Kia Sarento 4 cyl. fwd heated leather nav,550watt 10 spkr Infinity stereo all the bells whistle except sun roof was offered from sales man 25000. with out working on them HMMMMMM :surprise: Oh yes and wait of three weeks for delivery and 2 day setup in town on top all that no help from GM :mad: 5 year 60,000 B To B also
  • reubenray1reubenray1 Member Posts: 21
    Is there a certain percentage that calculates what the GM Family First discount will be from a dealers cost? I am in the early planing stage and do not want to bug my brother (GM retiree) yet until I find what I want.
  • brueggiebrueggie Member Posts: 46
    gmfamilyfirst.com - Click on "Price Your Vehicle" and build the 'Nox the way you want and it will give you the GM Employee price.
    Just found out the Cami plant in canada that makes the equinox is only making 500 units a month with two shifts adding third shift in oct will only add 200 more units a month
    so Equinox sales are really not that hot with 6000 units a year as of now and the rival able to ramp up to 300,000 units a year what is good business
    CANADA TRUCK PRODUCTION: FEB
    CAMI CHEVROLET EQUINOX 13,775 0 13,775 26,294 0 26,294
    GMC TERRAIN 5,605 0 5,605 10,583 0 10,583
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    So you think that the Equinox invoice is a massive conspiracy??? About 4 years ago, GM decreased their sticker prices. They did NOT decrease their invoice prices. Their intention was to stop relying on incentives to sell cars. They thought if their stickers were lower, they could sell vehicles. Obviously that hasn't happened. GM is still making their money....however....dealers don't have the kind of money to throw around like we used to. Your 2002 vehicle was one that could be discounted by the amount you negotiated. I work at a small Chevy dealership where we treat customers well. The margin we sell new vehicles at is insane. Maybe you can flex your negotiating skills when you shop at Walmart. See if they'll sell you anything at a 3% profit!
    Well, say what you want about the invoice and sticker price numbers, but the bottom line is the 2010 Equinox is costing upwards of $7000 more than a brand new 2008 Equinox - and I think that's ridiculous. At the beginning of last year I negotiated two deals for 2008 Equinoxes at two dealerships. Both were LT1's - well equipped I'd say - but with the 3.4 "Chinese" engine. The prices were both right around $17,200. A similarly-equipped 2010 Equinox is running upwards of, what - $25,000?? That's pretty steep bottom-line price appreciation.

Regarding your Wal-Mart comment - funny, but I never feel like I'm getting ripped off at Wal-Mart. Buying a car at a dealership??, well .... that's another story ...
    drove that sarento out the door for 25900 as described #331 thank you GM saved me a BUNDLE$$$$$ ;)
    not an equinox owner, no intention to buy one, why keep coming to this forum to bash equinox? please verify your info about 6000/yr production of equinox before posting.
    I agree. I waited 9 weeks for my LTZ and it was worth the wait. I shopped every COMPARABLE model and although the Equinox may be a few dollars more than Toyota or Honda,for what I got it was worth it. Although a Kia Sorrento is a good value it will not keep the value that a 2010 Equinox will have in 4 years. Compare apples to apples!!
    Again, I say - we'll see about that. Kia is an up and coming car company while GM has already gone bankrupt once. Look at Hyundai today (the other Korean automaker) - their vehicles are very highly rated now. The Sonata is a top-rated family sedan in the Camry class and they even make an Avalon-class vehicle (the Genesis) that is very well-regarded. Hyundai now owns Kia, so it probably won't take Kia as long as it took Hyundai to climb the ladder.

So I wouldn't assume that GM's vehicles will have a higher resale value than Kia's in 4 years. GM could very well be out of business in 4 years. That's about when the report cards will be coming out for "New" GM's products...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Let's stay on topic..

Kia posts belong elsewhere..

thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• realtor4realtor4 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2010
    I'm thinking about buying the LTZ model with sunroof, and nav. I get the GM discount and I can only get $450. off. Has anyone gotten a better discount and if so how? :(
    why don't you feel lucky to get 08 nox for 17200, other than feel 10 nox being too expensive? it is all MARKET DRIVEN, my friend. if customers do not think it worth 25000, it will not sustain. it is that simple.

I am willing to give GM a try since I compared equinox with others, and I voted on equinox.
    Again I say - I'd love to see who is buying these 2010 Equinoxes. It HAS to be primarily GM customers (people with GM points, Employee Discount, Friend and Family people, etc.) - and if I'm right, together with the low production numbers on these vehicles, it means the prices are artificially inflated (which is what I believe).

In other words, I'm saying the prices on these 2010 Equinoxes will not survive beyond the availability of the pool of "GM club" buyers. It's all smoke and mirrors right now. And I really believe that production is being held back on purpose because GM knows this and they're hoping that if they can get enough "club" cars on the road and the feedback is good, they can then start selling to the "non-club" people. Problem is - the "non-club" people are Japanese customers that left GM a long time ago. Not only are they happy with their Japanese cars - which are now American made (by NON-union people), but they're disgusted that their tax dollars were used to bailed out GM. I believe this "hatred" is almost the equivalent of the 80-year-olds of today refusing to buy a Japanese car for the past 30+ years because of World War II !

GM might have to wait just as long no matter how good "New" GM's cars turn out to be...
    I got you. either equinox buyers are all GM club (points, employees, suppliers etc) or GM is intentionally holding back production... so that this hot selling vehicle is a fantasy

The first possibility is no way to verify, at least I can say I do not belong to that group, the second one as I posted earlier GM is making 20k/mo, 240k/annual of these vehicles before adding capacity. With increased capacity, production will top 300k/annual. Please do not put too much secondary guess into your posting.
    NO not a equinox owner, tried to buy one. had down payment on one for12 weeks, pulled order when they told me an additional 6 weeks. so i will try another brand for 5 years. What got me they could send unsold models that i wanted to dealers around the country but not to me and they were not sold cause i called the dealers and they called me to tell me when one came in. Not bashing nox BUT I WILL BASH GM for the crappy treatment and lies told to me buy our dealer rep. As for production info of nox was GM employee that told the story! he said Cami plant builds 4 different cars all with same unibody platform Suzuki,Equinox,Terrain,forgot the last one. which line can only build 1 model at a time or can they build them all at the same time?
    correct this if wrong you say they can produce 39000 noxes a month How many Terrains are coming out a month they are short on supply also?
    I only know what i was told you seem to be in the know, if they build them all at the same time would that # multiply by 3 or 4 per month to 120000 units a month?
    Hope you know the details so we all can know for sure :confuse:
    no I said 19k total (14k equinox, 5k terrin/mo), detailed production info is at one pdf file (production results by plants):

http://www.gm.com/corporate/investor_information/sales_prod/
  • reubenray1reubenray1 Member Posts: 21
    Will this engine be big enough for this vehicle?
  • texana99texana99 Member Posts: 10
    I drove a 2005 Honda CRV (bought new) until I traded it last September for a 2010 Equinox LTZ and have not regretted it a second. Sure, the Honda was bullet proof, and it remains to be seen about the reliability of the Equinox, but I will take the chance. Even the new CRV remains basically an appliance, while the Equinox has style and features found in many luxury brands and a distinctive look. I doubt if I am the rare exception that you seem to think as a "non-GM club buyer" as I know several other lucky Equinix owners who don't fall into that category. Frankly, I think the price I paid for my loaded LTZ (everything except nav) was fair. So far, with about 9,000 miles, I would make the same choice again.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I would be very hesitant buying a 185Hp engine for a vehicle that weighs this much if you live in an area with many hills or you take many trips into areas that are hilly. I have been looking at the LTZ, but would probably buy the V6 even though we live in Columbus, Ohio which is flat. We don't have to go but a half hour North, South, or East before it becomes very Hilly. We normally visit my Family and my wife's 3 to 4 times per year in Pittsburgh and try to go to Myrtle Beach every summer which takes you some pretty mountainess states such as WV and Va. Don't care how much more Mpg we would get the 4 cylinder just wouldn't hack it in my opinion.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I currently own a 2009 Fusion SEL V6 and a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury AWD V8. We purchased both vehicles new. I have never bought a new GM product in my life, I'm 54 years old. I am currently thinking about a new Equinox LTZ to replace our Mountaineer, so I think you make some pretty outrageous assumptions about who is buying GMs right now. I think you are pretty narrow minded in your Honda/Toyota Lust probably. American cars have come along way. Especially Ford. I think they make cars that are equal in reliability to what the Japanese make. And they are better looking inside and out in my opinion. I am also considering waiting until next year to buy a 2011 Hyundai Santa FE Limited or a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Either that or we will hold onto our Mountaineer for a few more years since it has been a very reliable and pleasant vehicle to drive. The only negative is the MPG issue. Also, wanted to mention that I hate the idea that our Tax dollars were used to bail out GM, Banks, people who bought houses they shouldn't have, etc. I don't like unions and am a Republican, but I believe that just because a vehicle was made in the states it doesn't mean that all the major profits aren't going overseas to the mother country. Sure paychecks and some taxes are being kept here, but the profits from the foreign Auto makers are going overseas.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    edited April 2010
    No No No. I own two American cars - both bought brand new ('97 Taurus, '02 Impala). I've never owned a Honda or Toyota in my life. My Japanese experience was with Mitsubishi (89-97). I service all my cars myself - Japanese (Mitsubishi) before I got married and American now. My experience is American, while certainly NOT bad, is just not as reliable as Japanese. Maybe it's gotten better since '02 (when I bought the Impala) - I don't know. But given my experience with GM major defects, I just cannot pay a Japanese price for a GM vehicle. I need some kind of sizeable up-front hedge against these future repair bills until GM has a proven track record that they can build cars as reliable as the Japanese do. Unfortunately, I think there are too many people out there with short memories and no real first-hand mechanical experience to draw upon, who fall in love with the way a vehicle LOOKS - and they're letting companies like GM off the hook WAY too easily. First GM gets bailed out by the US government because it's "too big to fail", and then the aforementioned buyers completely forget the reason GM GOT to that point, and storm the dealerships to buy a vehicle at sticker price because it LOOKS nice.

I think that's pathetic!

Sometimes what I think we need in this country are buyers unions - a way to protect people from themselves ...
  • texana99texana99 Member Posts: 10
    I don't know many people who are happy about the "bailout," but sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation, make the best choice available at the time, and work to make it successful. I, too, blame the management at GM for its woes, but there is an interesting interview in Motor Trend with Ron Bloom, who says, in essense: consider that if the feds had just said "too bad - you made the mess, you fix it" and GM had gone under, how many hundereds of thousands of jobs of folks who had no part in GM's demise (factory workers, suppliers, dealers, service shops) across the country would have been lost? If GM does come back, and I think it will, this will in retrospect have been a good move. According to industry figures, GM sales in general were up 20.6 percent in March, and Equinox sales were up 193.6 percent, with GM increasing production capacity to meet demand. Oh, and one more tidbit, also from Motor Trend in their review of the Equinox LTZ: "More than just good looking - it's actually good, too."
  • kcrozziekcrozzie Member Posts: 5
    Hi Colt Hero
    Don't know if you are still reading posts, but I just placed an order for a 2010 Equinox LT2. For the past 10 years I've driven a Mazda MPV van and loved that. Before that I drove two Taurus wagon. My other cars include Ford and Dodge models. I have never bought a GM product, let alone a Chevrolet. I don't have any "points' or any relatives that work at GM. After several months of research and test drives, including a Subaru Forester. I settled on the Equinox and I can't wait to get it. New to the boards here.