Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pete6666pete6666 Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2010
    Steve,
    I also researched for 2 months and the Rogue was in the running. However we liked the adjustable rear seat and the larger luggage area of the Equinox. I ordered mine Jan. 1st and it came in the middle of March. I got the LTZ with moonroof and 6cylinder. My wife and I just took a 400 mile trip and got back today. I got 24 MPG and I have a heavy foot. In 5 months we have not had a single problem. The fit and finish and the overall performance is more than I expected. I own a Cadillac DTS with 13,000 miles on it and I like driving my wife's Equinox better. We test drove the 4 cyl. and it was very noisy on heavy acceleration. The 6 cyl. was unbelievable for merging onto the busy expressways. We got the Cardinal Red with black and titanium interior and we get a lot of comments on how great it looks. Hope this helps.
    Pete (NY)
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks, Pete, for your input. I appreciate it. I haven't test drove either one yet but hope to do it soon. I do like some of the features of the Equinox versus the Rogue. Your model sounds really nice. Both the Rogue and the Equinox when fully loaded seem to be over $30,000. I think the Equinox has a few more options than the Rogue. I will let you know how I make out when I test drive both of them. Again, thanks for your help. Best of luck!

Steve
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Wallyuwl,

No offense, but your post should really spell out how you got "out the door" with a 1LT with an MSRP of $26,300 for $23,400. You're talking $3000 off MSRP on a vehicle with virtually no discounts being offered (currently).

Are you USAA? Did you buy early and waive the 60-day return policy ($500)? Do you have GM points/dollars (or are you a GM employee)? Did you have a credit union discount (worth about $1200 but which could not be combined with GM points/dollars)? Was there a trade-in? (probably not in this case since it would've had to have been an almost worthless vehicle).
    Forgot to mention - I've searched over 100+ dealers up and down the Eastern seaboard for 2010 Equinoxes with the LT1 trim level and have only been able to locate 80+ units.

For GM and this time of the year, that's a pathetic supply ... and it's why there are currently NO discounts being offered on these vehicles. Dealers want you to pay full sticker price - which is something I will not do for a GM product ("new" GM or old).
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Sticker was about $26,025 or something like that. They credited $75 on the sticker because of forgetting to put in the USB port as part of the Vehicle Interface Package (common on early 1LTs that had VIF).

I had the supplier discount for being a college student (same discount as for being a credit union member). $1000 conquest cash, honored at the dealer level (my trade was over 10 years old). Then an additional $800 or so the dealer knocked off.

For my trade I did Cash for Clunkers, so $4500 for that came off of the $23,400 or so sales price (minus TTL and a couple dealer fees). It really is a great dealer to buy a new vehicle from, they care more about volume for new vehicles than making a huge profit (they make that on used), because selling more vehicles means they get better treatment from GM. For example, when Camaros were nearly impossible to find when they first came out, this dealer could seemingly get them at will and had 10 on the lot.
    Wallyuwl,

Thanks for that clarification. So you bought early, cashed in on some of the "checklist" discounts that you qualified for, and also got an $800 dealer discount - which is the one I was most interested in hearing about. Well, $800 is better than nothing - which is what I'm hearing from dealers right now. Just can't do that. The only reason my last two new car purchases were American cars (Ford and then Chevy) was due to the considerable up-front purchase price savings. If price is equal (or virtually equal), I''m not going to buy American and HOPE it turns out to be as good as the import equivalent. I'm just going to buy the import.
    edited August 2010
    Well, my dealer was exceptional on the sales side regarding price for that point in time. You can't combine the supplier discount and conquest cash at the manufacturer level together. But since my vehicle was older than ten years old, it didn't "officially" qualify anyway. But the dealer took the hit on their side and gave it to me. Like I said, they care about volume not profit regarding new vehicles.

When we bought our vehicle last year we sought to buy the best vehicle for the money (in our price range), period. At the time, nothing came close to the Nox. The Rogue was nice, but was small, has big blind spots, isn't a great value even after the considerable markdown off MSRP, and the gas mileage isn't that good. All the others are horrible (Rav4, old Tuscon/Sorento, Escape, CRV, etc.). We drove them all and then some. The new Hyundai Tuscon and Kia Sorento are the only one's I'd look at besides the Nox. I don't know about the Tuscon, but the consumer reviews for the Sorento are not good for build quality.

I wouldn't just assume imports are currently better for quality. Ten years ago, no question. Today, not so much. IMO many imports have gone backwards (Toyota especially) or stayed the same in quality (Honda), while domestics are much better than they've been. For the most part, any new vehicle now days that isn't a lemon will last 200k miles at a minimum if maintained properly.

Even if you have to drive a couple hundred miles for a dealer that will at minimum honor the supplier discount (if you don't currently qualify just join a credit union and you're good), it is worth it to get a vehicle you want vs. paying the same for an inferior vehicle (such as the Rav4 or CRV). If you deal with the internet departments via email you're also usually better off than just talking with whatever salesman approaches you on the lot. The internet guys often don't work on commission.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    My experience is virtually identical to wallyuwl's. Same vehicle, minus the sunroof, bought at the same time and got the same discount from the same type of "great" dealership. I was able to take advantage of C4C $4500 and had about $2600 GM Cash, so there was no other choice for me (had to use the GM money), but I have no complaints after a year of ownership - still loving it. I noticed that the MSRP has gone up $920 from a year ago, comparing GM's site to my invoice, so that might be making a difference when comparing last years prices to todays.
    Wallyuwl:

Wasn't Kia offering big rebates on the Sorrento recently? I thought I saw something ridiculous like $7,000! Maybe it was a tiered rebate where the $7k only applied to the fully loaded model?

I haven't looked at the Tucson, but a co-worker recently bought the new Genesis and he loves it! He had two Avalons before that and liked them a lot, too - but the timing of the new Avalon was late for him so he went with the Genesis. When I was dating my wife back in '92 she was driving an '89 Sonata bought brand new for $10,000. Even back then, that car drove well enough, had plenty of room inside, but it DID lack refinement. I remember popping the hood one time to change the oil and having the hood release come right off the dash (it was anchored to plastic only, no metal, IIRC).

I just don't think I can bring myself to pay full MSRP for ANY GM product! One thing I was thinking of doing was shopping the Traverse at the same time. They WERE offering $2000 rebates on the Traverse, plus the dealers are willing to add in their own discounts on top of that. If the Traverse were to get within, say, $2000 - $3000 of the Equinox, I would go with the Traverse (which is a much more roomier vehicle with the same "direct injection" engine technology). Granted, the gas would probably cost about 25% more, but you're getting a V6 versus the 4-cylinder. And if it turns out the 4-cylinder Equinox needs the more expensive gas or really doesn't live up to its MPG hype, then it might almost be a wash.

Rocketent:

$920 price increase? I hadn't noticed that. I think I DID notice a 2010 price increase of around $200 (maybe less) on the MSRP during the model year, but not $920. Maybe you're talking about the new 2011's that are now starting to show up on dealer lots?
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Yea you're right, I didn't consider the destination charge.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, if you can get a Traverse for $3000 or so more than a Nox, and you need the extra room, do it. The Traverses were hard to get discounts on right when they came out, too. I'm surprised the lack of discounts on the Nox through GM and with most dealers has lasted a full year.

I'm in Lexington, KY and the dealer is Rod Hatfield if you're within even a ten hour drive. They really are great on price on new vehicles, and it sounds like you aren't getting any movement from dealers along the east coast (not sure where on the east coast you are).

I think it was the Borrego that Kia was giving huge discounts on recently. I know they had $4000 cash back on the old model 2009 Sorentos last summer, trying to make way for the new 2011 model (they skipped 2010).
    Rocketent:

I haven't looked at the pricing on the 2011's at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just jack the prices through the roof instead of offering discounts on the leftover 2010's. They've got to do one or the other, otherwise nobody will buy the leftover 2010. But like I said - 100+ dealers searched and only about 80 LT1's on dealer lots right now. That's LOW supply, so there probably won't be many (if any) leftover 2010's come next year.

Wallyuwl:

I'm in the Carolinas, but I've got immediate and extended family from New England to Florida so I could justify a road trip almost anywhere to pick up a vehicle. I've never been to Kentucky and that state is not in my search "window", but I could add it in to see if the Hatfields could make a deal with the McCoys (LOL)!

I'm probably not buying until year's end or even into the first quarter of next year. But I'm going to have to keep an eye on the inventories because with such low supply, I might have to pull the trigger sooner than I normally do...
  • zdadzdad Member Posts: 15
    I just came from the local dealer here in PA. Considering the Equinox and Santa Fe. As for prices, the 2011 1LT was actually $20 cheaper than the 2010, equipped the same way. Their off was $24600 for the 2011 1LT with the Driver convenience package. Sticker is $25,500. Not much of a discount. I believe invoice is $23,450. They did give a very good value on my trade, some $700 better thasn anyone else has offered.

I drove the Equinox and Santa Fe with in an hour of each other. From fit, finish, seat comfort, noise,......the Equinox wins hands down. The Santa Fe did have a slight edge in acceleration, but we aren't buying this to tow, we are buying it for family driving comfort.

Goinfg to try the dealer one town down, let him know I have a decent offer in hand, then see how sharp his pencil gets. It should be interesting.
    Supply should only go up as time goes on. So your chances for discounts will not get any worse, and MIGHT get better. Wait until you are serious about buying to contact any dealers (especially if going outside of your local area), and do it through their online sales dept. In general, the experience at my dealer was great on the sales side. Two things I wasn't happy about: The $400 contract fee (or whatever they call it - it was typed on the contract and non-negotiable, the financing lady said she even had to pay it with her new vehicle. I was surprised it was over $200). And they did window etching for a cost of $211 without even telling us. I guess that isn't a bad thing, because it helps if it gets stolen. But I wasn't happy we weren't given the option and they just did it. So they get some of their money back from their lowering the price. But we were still WAY better off than we'd have been at any other dealer we tried (and I contacted about 10 and "dealed" with 4).
    Do you qualify for the supplier discount (credit union member, or student)? That'd give you a better deal than what the dealer is offering. It is up to dealers whether or not they will honor the supplier discount (sometimes they do and sometimes they don't with popular models - they don't make as much profit with supplier pricing as selling for full or close to full MSRP), and it can't be used (I don't think) with GM card credits or anything like that. The supplier price will be the same at all dealers for the same vehicle. The difference will come in regarding things like title insurance, contract fees, add-ons ("paint protection", pin stripping, etc.), etc. So even if you do qualify for the supplier discount, you should still check multiple dealers so you can find the lowest "out the door" price (minus TTL).
    Yes, I do get the Suplpier discount. $24,632 is the Supplier price. I have the invoice paperwork with me. I am heading to the next dealer down the road, and I am not planning on mentioning that I can get the Supplier Price, and see what kind of deal I can get. He'll know I have a firm offer in hand. We'll see how bad he wants the deal.

I am pleased with the trade-in amount I got from dealer #1. The Hyundai dealer offered $1,000 less.

I post later today on my results.
    I highly doubt you'll do better than supplier price from another dealer just negotiating off MSRP. The reason is it is GM that takes the hit for supplier pricing, but if you are just negotiating off sticker it is the dealer who takes the hit. You could act like you don't have any discounts and see how far down they go just to cover your bases. Then say something like "are there any discounts for being a credit union member or military or anything?".

Like I said, your difference in pricing between dealers with supplier price will be with how they value your trade in, dealer fees, and any dealer add-ons.
    I pulled the trigger and got the 2011 Equinox 1LT with the convenience package. I got the Navy Metallic Blue, with the Jet Black/Titanium white premium cloth seats. They did package the car up a little different from 2010 to 2011 model, but nothing new. The convenience package added power driver seat, back up camera, Bluetooth and a couple of minor things. As noted before my sale price was the Supplier Discount of $24,632. They did give me $500 more in trade than any other dealer offered.

I went to the dealer in the next town this afternoon, and didn't mention the supplier price. They offered $25050, on and MSRP of $25,550, and $500 less in trade. Told them I appreciated their time, but they missed the other offer by ~$800. As I'm walking out they do the "Let me go back to my manager" dance. I said no thanks. When I said you had one shot, I meant it.

I do hear the infamous "ping" when I am at speed, but I only hear it when nothing ios on. This is a very quiet car, and I think because of that, you hear every little thing. With the radio on, you can't hear it.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    2 local dealers in my area (north cenrtal Pa.)

2011's:

sticker $31,505 to $30,499 ($1,006 off)

sticker $32,655 to $30,995 ($1660 off)
    Supply won't go up for the 2010's. It's ov-ah for that. The 2011's are already out in full force! You know, this whole process is so "Un-GM". Normally, the new model year vehicles are slow to hit the lots. The leftovers hang around well into next year. This year, at least with the Equinoxes - maybe because they made so FEW of them, it's just the opposite. The 2011's are out early, and the 2010's will probably be gone by Thanksgiving - not just locally .... everywhere! And GM continues to sell at or near MSRP! I really think this is a strategy. And it's a change in philosophy from the past. It's now "make fewer units, sell at higher prices, and no leftovers". All I can is - God help GM if, 4-5 years from now, it turns out the quality is really no better than what it was before - which, don't get me wrong - wasn't "terrible", but was characterized by at least one MAJOR flaw per model that was both costly and disappointing. But at least with OLD GM, you were buying at a sizeable discount up-front as a hedge against these costly repairs. Now, there's no hedge. GM will be compared to the competition on a level playing field ... and I'm not sure GM is ready for that right now...

Did that IPO ever happen? Better get that influx of cash before the bottom drops out...
    wallyuwl:

I've created my own system for purchasing vehicles whereby I never set foot in the dealership unless I'm there to pick-up (buy) the vehicle. I almost always buy leftovers at scheduled intervals for cash (at very healthy discounts), and I've never paid a "dealer fee" that I didn't already know about ahead of time. There's no end to dealer scams like "doc fees", "etching" etc. that dealers dream up simply so they can quote you one (lower) price to get you into the dealership, then change it to a higher number at the last minute. "Doc fees" don't scare me. Dealers can make them thousand of dollars if they want to. It's the overall price that matters. And if you forget to ask for these "fees" numbers up-front (a sign of an inexperienced buyer because these "fees" have been around now for AT LEAST 15 years), they gotcha. All you can do at that point is walk out (and you SHOULD), but I suspect most people don't because most people buy based on a monthly payment and the dealers know how big a "fee" they can tack on divided by X months before it'll become an issue with the buyer.

It's capitalism: One person capitalizing on another for financial gain. Your job is to be prepared for all the scams they will try to throw at you so that they don't steal your money. There's a deal that can be struck between both parties which is fair to both. But once greed enters the equation, it's every man for himself.
    Yeah, I meant in general supply will go up as time goes on. 2010s will be gone even before Thanksgiving, IMO. But one year from now, I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a couple thousand cash back, or 0% for 60, on the 2011 Noxs. I don't think this is some vast conspiracy - they simply have a new model that is very popular. They added second, and then third, shifts at the manufacturing plant as they realized demand was so high.

Yup, I am an inexpreienced buyer. This was my first new vehicle. But as a buyer if you are happy with the "out the door" (minuts TTL) price, that is all you can ask for. And I was. I ended up over $1200 better than any of the other three dealers I "dealed" with (all online), even considering the high doc fee and vin etching. And this doesn't include adding in transport costs that probably would have been associated with the other dealers, since they were working off of doing dealer trades, while this one had the car on their lot (and the dealer was two miles away, the others were 60 or more). I never bargin with monthly payment, too easy to get taken that way. But this dealer doesn't play those games anyway, unlike some other dealers around here. They have a good rep.
    It sounds like you did as well as you could've on your Equinox. It's just been a very tough vehicle to purchase. Even if you would've known about the doc fee up-front, they wouldn't have changed it or altered the overall price. It was going to sell at their price.

Who knows? Maybe I'll end up with a 2011 Equinox. I'm going to hold out until year's end or first quarter next year and hope I can pick up a discounted 2010. If not, it'll be a leftover 2010 Traversty (sure to be leftovers there) VS. 2011 Equinox. And this scenario will probably favor the Traversty with the combination of bigger Traversty discounts and higher Equinox pricing.

It's gonna be fun. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll be buying somewhere in your area (LOL)...
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    Have been searching the dealers here in NE PA for a few weeks now. Most 2010's are gone and the 2011's are what they are pushing. Locally there are zero FWD models (what I'm looking for). Most don't have many Noxes on their lots but are pricing based on incoming inventory. I found a dealer in NJ willing to go to $24500 on a 2011 LT1 FWD with drivers convenience package. MSRP is $25500. Think it's a great price given what they have been selling for. Just wish it was in a different color. May just take it, not sure yet.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    get a hyuundai santa fe
    Care to elaborate on this? A blind statement like that does no good without some sort of reasoning why the Sante Fe would be better.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    I'm not saying it's better or worse. I just read here that some folks are wringing their hands at the low supply which translates to high prices for the equinox, and perhaps the high price is well deserved. We have a 2010 santa fe that we're happy with, but I'm not here to knock the equinox at all. In fact, if the situation was reversed and the santa fe was a new model in low supply, and the equinox had been out a few years and they were discounting as normal, we'd probably have gotten the equinox.
    I hear ya for sure. Chevy has a product right now lots of people want and the supply is oddly low. I did happen to drive a Sante Fe a few weeks back. Thought it was OK and the features were comparable. It did have more cargo space (important to me) but it lacked a "wow" actor. The Nox (to me at least) is just more visually appealing. The Nox also should get a bit better gas mileage than the Sante Fe. The plus for the SF was a longer warranty and that is good since I'm a high mileage driver. Guess it all comes down to personal preference though.

Thanks for the input.
    There are NO incentives being offered right now, so that's a $1000 dealer discount - maybe. Let's hope it's a sign of more flexible pricing with the 2011's, but I'd be willing to bet the dealer will drop a hefty "doc fee" on you at the last minute, making it a measly $300-$500 dealer discount.
  • pjscottpjscott Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the Equinox and trying to decide which motor V6 vs. 4-cylinder. I will not be pulling anything. Also front wheel vs. all wheel drive? I like the gas mileage the post for the 4-cylinder, but am worried I might regret it when I need to quickly get out of the way? Anyone bought the 4-cylinder? Any comments or info would be great. Thanks!
    We have our nox for 6 months. We test drove the 4 cyl. and we did not like it at all. We drove it for a half hour and did some hard accelerating. It was very noisy on full accelerations and lacked power when merging into traffic. We ordered a 6 cyl. FWD LTZ. My wife and I have said it numerous times-we are so glad we went for the 6 cyl. Unless you always had a 4 cyl.and don't mind some sluggishness when you need power get the 6.
  • texana99texana99 Member Posts: 10
    I have had my 2010 FWD LTZ w/6 cylinder for about 11 months. I, too, drove the 4 cylinder and noticed a significant difference. The 6 has surprising power (with a little torque steer when you really mash the pedal) but for the small mileage penalty the extra "go" is worth it, especially in the kind of traffic we have around Houston. I don't tow with it, but I do use a cargo carrier with the hitch to haul coolers and assorted stuff to the beach and it easily accommodates the additional weight even with 4 people aboard.
    edited September 2010
    Finsihed a deal on a 2011 Mocha Steel FWD LT-1 four cylinder with drivers convenience package. I did not go with the deal I talked about a few posts back since that Nox was gold and I wanted the Mocha. The deal broke down this way:

MSRP: $25500 (destination included)
    Selling price: $24575
    trade credit: $7700 (Edmunds trade value was $6890 for 06 Grand Caravan)
    trade balance still owed: $4972 ($2728 trade equity)
    Tax: $922 (6% PA sales tax)
    Tag transfer: $47
    Doc fee: $123
    GM Card Points: $1500
    Total Selling Price: $21445

This was a much better deal than I expected go into the dealership. He was 70 miles from me and had it on his lot. I got this price with NO haggling. His trade credit was $700 more than what I was expecting. I was extremely pleased with both the sales person and sales manager. They held no punches or tried any B.S. Before they came back with pricing I did make them aware that I had intentions of visiting 4 dealers today to find the best deal I could (this was truthful). After their offer came to me I still wanted to visit another dealership to see what they would offer.

The second dealership had an LT-1 FWD in Mocha Steel just come off the truck this AM. It did not have the drivers convenience package like at the first dealership so was stickered at $24670. This dealer refused to drop anything off of sticker price and was $2000 less on my trade. When I told him of the offer I had just got, he gave me the typical "Don't know how he's doing that!" line. But said he was not even going to try to match it and that the 1st dealer was probably just "dangling a carrot in front of me" and that he wouldn't hold to those numbers. I got out of there as quick as I could, called the first dealer back and confirmed all the numbers. Told him I'd be back in a half hour for it. :)

The F&I went smooth as can be also. Before filling out any paperwork I stated up front that I didn't have any interest in extended warranty's, fabric protection, waxing, etc. They said no problem and skipped by all that with ease.

I couldn't be happier as of now. The drive home and to the gas station was 72.3 miles total. 25 was city/ 2lane streets and 47 was highway. Set the cruise at 68 for the highway drive. The tank took just 2.159 gallons to fill back up for a 33.48 fuel mileage average.

There are deals to be made out there, just takes a lot of searching.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Have you recently purchased, or are you now considering buying, a domestic vehicle for the first time or the first time in a long time? If so, send details to pr@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    For the past 12 years I have bought foreign cars. Now I'm considering possbily looking at GM or Ford SUV's. At this point, I'm not sure what I will end up with. I will write back in the future with my decision.
  • dynamojoedynamojoe Member Posts: 1
    wnuk, thanks for posting this info. I found it while researching my own Nox purchase and it came in handy for reference. If it helps others, I didn't do as well but I left my dealership thinking I did pretty well. I know I got the better of them on my busted-up trade.

I got FWD 1LT (cyber grey) with the driver convenience and cargo management packages. My breakdown went like this:
    1LT was an even $25,000
    Destination was $745 on top of that.
    Dealer fee I couldn't get out of was $599
    My trade (-$2000)
    GM Card points (-$1k was my max allowed)
    "Loyalty/internet bonus" (-$1577 - I got them to up it from 1200 when i griped about the dealer fee)
    tax was $1372 +$50 for the county
    tag/title $225

$23,522 was my out the door price and they included two years of scheduled maintenance (-$225)

If anyone is considering a car purchase, I did the lendingtree thing and Capital One came back with the best offer ($22k @ 2.68 for 60mo.). It's SO MUCH EASIER at the dealership when you negotiate the price without worrying about financing.

Hope this helps others. I'm happy with my new car so far!
  • a_duba_dub Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    I found this forum very helpful when I was looking up how much to pay for my Equinox so I figured I'd tell about my experience.

I think I did decent in my negotiating which took about 3 weeks, mostly over email. I wasn't able to get any of the free maintenance plans but I did negotiate in free window tint on the front windows which is minor in the grand scheme of things.

My Nox is a stock, Twilight Blue LT2. Didn't add any additional features though I probably should have pushed for the Cargo Management package cuz now I realize I want that and will have to buy aftermarket.

MSRP = 26715 (included destination fee)
    Negotiated down to = 25577
    Vehicle Inventory tax = 54.16
    Documentary Fee (couldn't get out of) = 150
    Title/Registration + misc road & inspection fees = 137.55
    Sales tax (@6.25%) = 1613.31

I did get talked into buying the Execu-Care extended warranty plan and this Zaktek package that is clear coat protection. The reason is, 1) never owned GM car and heard they have history of problems 2) plan on keeping this car for 5+ years.

I read on some forums that both of these were stupid decisions on my part BUT I was able to get the finance guy to drop the interest rate from 4.49 to 3.99 to help cover the costs.

Warranty (72 mos or 60,000 m) = 1175.00
    Zaktek = 236.00
    Total before down payment = 28943.01
    Down Payment = 3500.00
    Financed amount = 25443.02

Monthly payments = $469
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    I bought a LT2 about 3 weeks ago with the 4 cylinder and sunroof/power liftgate. It now has 2500 miles on it and is running great; average fuel economy in both eco mode and non eco mode is 23/25 mpg real world mixed driving on city streets and freeway traffic cycles.

Problems encountered so far are few; coming out of a crew cab pick up it was hard to get used to the smaller vehicle but it is very big internally and accomodates me well, also the 4 cylinder comes with electric steering and that has taken some getting used to as opposed to hydraulic assisted steering. Power is good and you do have to give it gas to merge but it is not what you might think. The engine is very responsive and I am looking forward to taking a long trip to really check out the fuel claims and eco mode.

Hope this helps you out.
  • alwaysadaylatealwaysadaylate Member Posts: 7
    what kind of deals are they offering on the 2011 equinox in lexington at therod hatfield dealership?
  • hawaii808hawaii808 Member Posts: 1
    I like this new 2011 2LT Equinox with 4 cylinder, just wondering what is a good offer on this vehicle? Im thinking $27,500 with cargo management.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    alwaysadaylate,
    Have you been into the dealer to see the current offers on the 2011 Equinox? If you would like I can assist you with pre-purchase questions and GM incentives; however, for what the dealer is specifically offering you will need to speak with the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • chevyequinoxchevyequinox Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Looking at leasing a 2011 Equinox 2LT. One dealer said there were no rebates available, but the other said there was some sort of "past GM owner loyalty" type cash which was $1,000. Does anyone know if this is true or not? The same dealer who offered me the extra cash/rebate also gave me the vehicle at employee pricing since I'm a credit union member. The other didn't do either. I made clear to both that I was leasing, not buying, so there shouldn't have been any miscommunication. HELP!
  • rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 23
    AS Canadians are too embarrassed to tell how much more we have to pay for new cars and there is not much
    activity on the Terrain forum, I thought I would post here.

I ordered a 6 cylinder Terrain SLT-2. Mocha Steel and
    Titanium interior in November. Remember in Canada
    it is nearly impossible to get Invoice Prices without
    paying $35 to a private company. Fortunately, I secured
    a copy from a dealer who lost his GM franchise.

My trade in was a 2003 Saturn Vue with 90,000 klicks
    (54,000miles). Black Book value, $4-6,000. Dealer
    didn't want the car and offered $2500. I whined and got it
    up to $3000. GM (bless their hearts) had given me a
    Saturn loyalty coupon for $1500 if I traded the Vue in for a
    new GM product so I guess I got the low end of Black Book.

The MSRP was 38,000$ Canadian (comparable US price
    in New York State, about $31,900 US) This is why Canadians don't talk about how much they pay for cars.
    Invoice was $34,824 vs $30,856 in US. Huge markup difference.

As I negotiated, I show the saleswomen the invoice price
    she brought in the sales manager, he asked what I thought a fair profit on a $40k car, I said $1000 was plenty and he said sold. I asked about the holdback and
    he said since GM reorganized, Canadian dealers no
    longer get holdbacks. I couldn't refute this but I did
    calculate that Canadian dealers got 9.1% markup over
    invoice while US dealers even with a 3% holdback, only
    got a 6.2% markup. So could be true.

So the deal was as follows:

MSRP $38000
    Admin $499
    Security registration $296
    Tire Recycle Tax $29
    Plate registration $20
    Fed and Provincial Sales tax (13% Ouch!) $4244

Total Price $43,088

Less:

Dealer discount $2176
    GM Holiday Bonus $1000
    Saturn Loyalty Coupon $1500
    Trade In $3000
    GM Visa Points $1500

Total Deductions $9176

Payable to Dealer $33912

I couldn't shake the admin and security fees and got less
    than I figured on the trade in . Since I never hear from other Canadians , I don't know how other deals stack up.
    I'm sure you guys just shake your heads at our prices and taxes, but we do have universal health.
  • mcurley99mcurley99 Member Posts: 2
    Have a sinking feeling that I may have gotten ripped off. I just purchased a 2011 Equinox LT1 with the Driver Convenience package for just under $25000. When I first got into the business manager's office I asked if there were any rebates or anything available on the Equinox. He said that they had some sort of program available for buyers with a credit score of 580 or below, and that with my obviously good credit, I wouldn't qualify. He also said that it's a shame that people with poor credit get the special deals sometime. I had seen commercials about the No payment till Spring, 0% APR, and $1500 Holiday Allowance, available to qualified buyers. But with what the manager told me, I took him at his word. I have tried to do some research about the $1500 Holiday Allowance because I am seeing it touted in all of the newspaper advertisements. The only thing that I can verify is that the auto loan financing MUST be done through ALLY (formerly GMAC) to get the $1500. I cannot find anything about it being only for buyers with a credit score of 580 or lower. I am wondering if the dealer has my $1500 Holday Allowance in his profit. I did end up financing the loan through ALLY at 3.49% for 60 months. Does anyone know anything about this 580 credit score requirement? Or about the Holiday Allowance?
    Sounds like you got taken. If you credidt score is good (usually above 720), you should have gotten the 0% through Ally. Also, you should get the $1500, and that is on top of your negotiated price off sticker. So, say sticker is $26k. You negotiate down to $24800. The $1500 would come off that, so $23300, plus TTL.

If you live in a state with at three day return policy, I'd tell the dealer you will be doing that if they don't renegotiate your deal. You could also contact GM about the dealer and see if they'll make things right.
    If the dealer keeps the rebate you would have to sign an authorization in which you consent to the dealer getting the $1500. Call Chevrolet customer service Monday thru Friday and they can explain the program. You could also call another Chevy dealer and speak to a salesman. Tell him you are considering buying an equinox and are there any restrictions on the rebate and zero percent.
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    An opportunity may exist for us to buy a 2005 Chevy Equinox if it is still available in a month or so. I've seen photos of this SUV and it LOOKS great, leather interior and from what I've read, all the bells and whistles. It is the AWD model and has a little over 103K on it. The price recently dropped from $8600 to $8250 but I would try and get it a little cheaper than that if possible. Our only experience with this vehicle is renting one back in 2006 when our Jeep was in the body shop for 3 weeks. It was a FWD model and it was summer time. The longest trip was to a wedding for our niece about 150 miles round trip. My wife and I thought the 'Nox performed very well and got reasonable gas mileage. The ride, we thought, was very good. We can't afford to buy a new one and we want to make an informed purchase if it's going to happen at all. Anything anyone can tell us about their experiences with a 2005 AWD will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas and much joy for the New Year!
  • jingles99jingles99 Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2010
    My 2003 Chev Malibu was totaled in a rear end collision, I was rear ended. Anyway, the striking drivers insurance is paying $8200 for the Malibu, which is alot more I would have gotten on a trade in. In PA, the insurer is required to pay replacement cost, not just book value. So that is one good thing that came out of this. I purchased a 2011 Gold Mist LS, from local Langhorne dealer. List was 23,730. Only option was the bluetooth package. Was able to get them down to $22,250. Went with the 0%/1500 rebate from Ally Financing. Brought the price down to 20,750. Also had $600 in GM card rebates applied, bringing the price down to 20,150. Refused to pay for the added dealer pin stripe, which was $89 bucks. They threw in the pinstripe for free, and first oil change. Would not budge on the $120 doc fee. So, with the $8200 total check, was able to get it for $11,950 before tax and tags. Must say, I am really impressed with the vehicle. Nice ride, and nice interior. I think I did ok on this deal. Any thoughts?
  • klrssklrss Member Posts: 28
    Incase someone was in the market for a new GM/Chevy product, I wanted to share some info for you to read before you buy.
    I bought a new 2010 Impala LTZ a few months ago. I have 6,000 miles on it now. I have been having this bad sulfur/rotten egg smell from the exhaust since about a week after I had it. I finally brought it into the shop and they said they found no issues, and it is probably bad fuel. I questioned the fact that I can run the same fuel in my 2011 Kia Sorento, and my 2009 Civic without the smell, so I don’t think it is the fuel. They told me there isnt anything they can do and again advised that I run a tank of quality fuel through it and see if that helps. So, I did what they said. I actually ran three tanks of Exxon through it, and one tank of shell, and the smell never went away. I called GM customer service and they asked if I was getting fuel at the same stations, or if the stations were close to each other. I told them yes, except the shell, which was across town. The gm customer service lady said " well, maybe the stations are getting the same fuel, and you might need to try other stations". I could not believe it! My car smells like rotten eggs...my two other cars run fine on the same gas, I tried higher grade gas like shell and Exxon and still no change, now they want me to drive all over town trying different fuels!!! I tried to get them to understand that I have NEVER had to worry about what fuels I use in any car that I have owned, and I have owned many GM cars in the past, and that they need to look at this Impala. So the customer service lady said to bring it back in and she would tell the dealer to look at it again. I take time out of my day, bring it in, I asked for a loaner and they didn’t provide one, which just added to the fun of it. They looked it over and called me and told me they still didn’t find anything wrong, and didn’t smell it this time at all. Wow! I can’t believe they didn’t smell it! ( or maybe it just looked better on the paperwork for them not to smell anything). I picked the car up and they gave me a TSB Bulletin that basically said that the smell is caused by high sulfur fuels and instructs the service dept not to replace parts because it is a fuel issue. I tried to get them to explain why my car smells, but other new GM cars do not, but they still said it was a fuel issue.
    So, my warning is that if you get a Gm car or truck that smells like sulfur/rotten eggs, GM will not fix this and you will have to endure the smell. I really didn’t expect to pay 25k for a car that smells horrible. I put my trust and money into GM/Chevy, and that was a mistake. Now I get to smell sulfur when I pull up to the drive-thu’s ( banks/Fast food), and have family/friends who follow me to places tell me my car stinks, and clients who I have in the car tell me " have that fixed, it is the catalytic converter"...etc.
    I would highly recommend that you go with a Kia, or Honda, or some other brand that actually can burn any fuel out there without it smelling. Gm seems to not want to disclose that their cars can not burn today’s fuel cleanly, because if they did, there would be many folks that would not buy...including me! I hope this helps someone who feels this service issue would be important to them if they purchased GM.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    So the Chevy dealer never checked the catalytic converter? The whole scenario seems odd to me.