Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
edited April 2014 in Volvo
Welcome, bring your buying experiences here!

Comments

• windsorwindsor Member Posts: 12
    I just leased the brand new Volvo S40 2.4i (year 2004.5). My agreed upon value was 23,927.46, which gave me a 3600 dollar down payment, and a $278 monthly payment. My S40 came with the premium package, and the climate package. This was my first brand new car purchase/lease, so I'm really curious how I made out.
    I just got one on a lease. I put 3600 down, and got my payments at 278 per month! I think this is pretty good, but the verdict is still out. Mine came with the premium package, as well as the climate package. I got a black ext, with off-black interior.
    Yea, but your payments bring the credit issue into play. This is the big problem I am having, the dealership is telling me that I have a higher than originally expected monthly payment because chase has me as a tier 3 customer. This is really wierd because my credit score from the 3 bureaus is as following: 693, 667, 688. No where near tier three. What was your gross cap cost? Mine was 24,226

Matt
  • mgpark103mgpark103 Member Posts: 5
    Atlanta, GA
    Awaiting (very anxiously!) delivery of my new T5 - black on black leather, premium - audio - sport packages - automatic ...
    Leased for 48 months (I believe this one is a keeper!)
    Payments are $419 with Zero out-of-pocket (except first month's payment); cap cost of 28,500; MSRP 32,850; 40% residual.

Dyer&Dyer Volvo did it again ... I will be a little sad to see my trusty 2000 S40 go away tomorrow, but my shiny new T5 will chase those blues away the minute I step on the gas pedal!! Wahoo! ;-)
  • mgpark103mgpark103 Member Posts: 5
    Check out leaseguide.com - they have a lot of good information including (for a fee of $20) a package that will evaluate current or pending leases against certain criteria and rate the lease terms. I found it very helpful and up-to-date! And especially reassuring when you plug in your final lease terms and it comes back with a "good" or "excellent" ...
  • twilliatwillia Member Posts: 29
    I posted this question on the New S40/V50 board, but did not get a response. Now that this board is in place, I thought I would try again.

I'm looking at getting a 2004.5 (or probably ordering a 2005) Volvo S40. The MSRP is $33,750 with everything that I want in it. The invoice price is $31,386 and Edmund's TMV is $33,399. For anyone who's bought a 2004.5 Volvo S40 did you get a better deal than the TMV for your configured vehicle? Did you pay close to MSRP or close to invoice?

Thanks.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I ended up leasing instead of buying, and so I cannot help much. All of my attention was on the monthly payments and startup. If you are negotiating on a 2004.5 S40 already on the dealer's lot, I think you could negotiate a price of about $800-$1000 over invoice. You should definitely do much better than the TMV price. The '05 models should begin arriving in 3 more months, and so I doubt you'll need to stay near the MSRP on the '04.5 models. If, instead, you need to custom order, then you'll be ordering an '05 model, which will probably sell near the TMV price.

By the way, you might consider leasing instead of buying. I don't know if this is still in effect, but Volvo was recently providing a $3000 incentive towards a lease of the S40. I rarely lease my vehicles, but this incentive convinced me to do so.

I see you live in Chandler. Have you talked to anyone at Powell Volvo? I recommend that you check out their web site and look up their Fleet Sales Manager. He was able to put together a much better lease package for me than North Scottsdale Volvo.
  • waybeyondwaybeyond Member Posts: 5
    I just recently placed on order at Lawrence Volvo in Walnut Creek, California for:

2005 Volvo S40 T5 (automatic)
    Black exterior, beige interior

Premium Package
    Audio Package
    Bi-Xenon Headlamps
    DSTC

Edmunds doesn't have the premium package's invoice price but, according to Kelly Blue Book it is $1,887. Factoring that in, according to Edmunds, MSRP is $32,115, TMV is $31,909, and invoice is $29,980.

Volvo has a deal called the Overseas Delivery Program where they will give anyone two free round-trip tickets to Sweden on SAS airlines to take a tour of the Volvo factory (isn't the S40 made in Belgium?), one night's accomodations in Gothenburg, Sweden, and free auto insurance for 14 days if I want to drive around in Europe in my new Volvo.

In taking this route to purchasing this car I paid just slightly below invoice, $29,850. The only downside is I won't have the car in the US until ~September. That's a good trade off considering I'm not in a rush to get my car and I was planing on taking a vacation anyway :-)
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    Yes, the new S40 is assembled in Belgium.
  • leeandginaleeandgina Member Posts: 38
    Anyone in the Pittsburgh area i highly recommend Rahal Volvo for a car. They treated my wife and I like royalty and didnt mess around on price. We ended up buying a 2004.5 passion red S40 2.4i with audio and climate package for $480/month (inc tax @ 6%) over 5 years. They even tracked down the car that we wanted (it was at the port) and it had 7 miles on it when we picked it up :)
    Waybeyond,

Congrats on your order and trip to Sweden. I'm considering ordering a new 2005 model through Volvo's Overseas Delivery Program too. I've spoken with the sales manager who's responsible for the program and it seems like a pretty good deal. My vehicle came up to a total of $31,485 which is just $99 over the 2004.5 invoice price. When completing your deal, did you come across any hidden fees or costs over the $29,850 quoted price?

Thanks.

Tony
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Tony,

If purchasing, instead of leasing, I agree it is probably best to order an '05 model, if you can wait on it. Who (which dealer) are you working with?
    cotmc,

I'm definitely planning on purchasing a new vehicle. I drive close to 20,000 miles per year and I just can't see doing that in a leased vehicle.

Right now I'm working with the Volvo dealership in south Scottsdale. Since I was originally planning on trading in my Acura, if I end up going with the overseas delivery program, I need to save a bit more money. I want to keep the loan total I need the same regardless of whether I trade-in a car or not and go with OSD.

The OSD program seems very interesting and exciting. A good price, a free trip to Europe, tour of the factory, etc.

Tony
    Twillia (Tony),

Sorry for the delay in response...

I asked the dealer to provide an itemized quote before agreeing on anything. Aside from the price for the car I have the following:

Doc Fee $45.00
    DMV Fees $250
    Smog Fee State: $8.25
    Smog Fee Seller $50.00
    CA Tire Fee $5.00
    (and of course taxes -- which vary based on your location)

Based on my research all of these are fine as far as I can tell. The Doc Fee varies upon the state you live in and the dealer you go to -- in California I believe it is capped at $45. You could save on this if you wanted to register the car yourself at the DMV.

So far, the only "catch" I see is that I have to wait until Aug 11th to "pickup" the car and then till sometime in September until I'll have the car here in the US. Considering that the "catch" includes two free tickets to Sweden I think that's a fair trade off. :-)
  • deviltangdeviltang Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts on whether I could get a new 2004.5 T5 for $25,000? The only extra-cost option I really want is the silver metallic paint (possibly the xenon headlights and moonroof also but don't think I can keep it below 25k with those options).
  • njcar4njcar4 Member Posts: 1
    i think i got a pretty good deal here. i am financing it at 36 months for 2.9% 10k down. black exterior with off black int. sports, climate, premium, audio and convenience packages. $26,883. around 3,000 off of the TMV.
  • bpwrightwvbpwrightwv Member Posts: 17
    Overseas delivery is only available on the 05's and beyond. I looked into this when the 04.5 came out. FYI- for all interested nerely all (if not all) models produced by Volvo in Europe are available by European Delivery. More info is availabe at volvocars.us.
    How much was your purchase price, if you don't mind? It's hard to figure with only payment info. I am looking at Bill Gray, mainly becase I live south of P-burg and it's closest. Your purshase price would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • jcroganjcrogan Member Posts: 3
    I have been researching the new S40 and in case anyone is interested as of 7/1 thru 8/31/04 they are offering the premium package free, I an not sure of exactly what states but it is in the North East Region.....it is about $2000 and the finance rates vary depending on months of the loan. I have never bought a foreign car and am concerned with repairs and am not sure if I should purchase the extending warranty.
    This is what we worked out -

Sticker : $26, 350
    Invoice : $24, 837

Financed: $26, 832
    - $1500 down
    Total with tax : $27, 100

BUT we got a check for $2367.00 when we picked up the car to cover our last 3 lease payments. So we actually paid $24,465 for the car (financed minus check from dealer).
  • jcroganjcrogan Member Posts: 3
    This was a lease? How many miles were you allowed per year?
    For those who paid around $27k, did anyone consider the Acura TSX? I have tested both, the Acura seems like a better value, ie for $27K it comes fully loaded (minus navi), $27k for the S40 doesn't seem to buy much. I like the styling better on the S40, but am having a problem justifying the 'lack of value'.
    For those who feel they got a good deal on the s40, what was your starting point for negotiations?
  • acrockett149acrockett149 Member Posts: 2
    As I am looking into this program I see that they give you a free vacation and a lower MSRP. Where is the catch? Do you have to pay to have your car shipped back to the U.S.? Are there any importation fees? Why would Volvo and Saab do this? Are there any other companies that do this?

Otherwise this sounds like an amazing deal for a car like the new S40 T5. I think I will try and wait to get it in manual.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "Otherwise this sounds like an amazing deal for a car like the new S40 T5."

To me, upgrade from 2.4i to T5 for "free" is an amazing deal simply by giving up the moonroof, leather & metallic paint. But the problem is that OSD probably requires the premium package anyway, at least for now.
    Yeah, I thought the same when I learned of this incentive at the dealership: "What's the catch."

So far, the only unfortunate thing (for me at least) is that even after I go to Sweden and "sign" for the car I'll have to wait another 4 - 8 weeks until I see the car in the States. But really, that's not a big deal considering everything else.

I think you can already order the manual if you do OSD... not sure though. I do know that you get a 2005 car rather than a 2004.5.

If you want to read other people's experience who have done OSD with Volvo I've found a forum at Swedespeed (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=55) pretty helpful.
    That's correct, it's only available for 05's and beyond. However, I placed my order sometime in June and will be going for pickup in Aug. So, according to the order form it's technically an 05 model but I'm still getting it a couple months before the new year...
    No, wasnt a lease, was a purchase. Our previous car (Audi S4 Avant) was a lease though - and im really missing it :( My wife cant drive a 6speed though and she needed something for her commute so she got to pick the car this time :)
  • jminer1jminer1 Member Posts: 2
    So it seems like the only downside to OSD is waiting a month or two before you actually get your car back in the states. So let me ask this question. . .

If you currently have a car that you want to trade in, how does that work? Do you have to trade it in at the time you leave to Sweden, or do you keep it until your car arrives in the U.S.?

Basically, I can't really afford to be carless for 8 weeks.
  • czm3136czm3136 Member Posts: 10
    I've read a couple of other messages regarding the premium package being offered for free on the 2004.5 S40 for July and August.

- Can anyone confirm?
    - Is it only offered if you finance/lease through Volvo Finance or is it offered by another bank?

This may have an impact on my decision to go with the S40 instead of the TSX........
  • 005005 Member Posts: 1
    The free Premium Package (basically the Invoice price on this) is available through the end of August on the 2004.5 models only - At least that was what I was told. I just bought the 2004.5 T5 (Passion Red, prem pkg, prem audio, bi-xenon) for $100 over the Invoice price last weekend with this offer. I don't think you get any special financing deal if you take the free Premium package? I got my financing elsewhere. I bought it at the same dealership in CA that "WayBeyond" mentioned in his post last month.
  • czm3136czm3136 Member Posts: 10
    Wow, congrats on your purchase. $100 over invoice is really good....when I was first looking at the T5, I didn't think I'd be able to get one at a reasonable price. They were quoting we crazy lease numbers almost near the mid 4's and that was including paying some of the fees upfront! And Edmunds listed that people in my area were paying around $1500 over invoice, which is pretty steep.

Now with an incentive like this one and the new money factors that are currently out on the leases, the price quotes seem to be a little better. But you're right, I wonder if taking the free premium package means the financing is through a company other than Volvo (who has an attractive money factor). The reason I would like to go with Volvo Finance is because we already lease one car through them and will be eligible for another $1000 off.

They seem to get you somehow, but I'll be happy with my $1000 off and whatever other haggling I can do. Your $100 over invoice has inspired me. Thanks!
    I just got my new 2004.5 S40 with 2.4i,
    flint gray metallic, prem pkg, climate pkg
    and convenience pkg for $25k.
    Though they never mentioned it during the negotiations (all through email, and I knew this to be the case b/c of other posters here) the premium pkg was 'free' and I did sign a form acknowledging it was 'free'. I got 2.9% up to 48 months through Volvo finance. There are a lot of buttons and settings that I still need to figure out, but I'm happy with the deal I got and look forward (hopefully) to a good Volvo experience.
    Thanks to all who've posted here and the other S40 board.
  • nsd163nsd163 Member Posts: 1
    Went to Fairfax Volvo today and bought a new 2004.5 s40 T5...

Silver metallic
    Premium Package
    Climate Package
    Bi-xenon headlights

Total - 27000 (not incl tax, tags, title and destination - which came to around 28600) financed for 36 months @ 1.9

Had to spend basically the whole day and put up a fight to get the dealer to drop down to the price above.
  • volvoluvvolvoluv Member Posts: 7
    does anyone know, the free premium pkg. offer is available also with osd?
  • lrac65lrac65 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if this will help you but I bought a 2005 S40 T5 AWD for $28.000. The car is equipped with the premium package, 6 disc cd changer (not premium sound), heated seats and metallic paint. I ordered the car for delivery in europe through Volvo OSD but, I work in europe for a U.S. based company. When you check the OSD price list compared with state side MSRP you will save.
  • kenwkenw Member Posts: 1
    Volvo Orange County (CA) was good to us. Our 2004.5 T5 with sport, premium, 6-disc premium sound, about everything except navi or climate was 27,200. Dont know if I could have gotten in for less, but I was happy with the price.

I've purchased and leased before, and this time was the easiest, and as a bonus the sales guy was not creepy. And I dont work there :)
  • tranmitranmi Member Posts: 12
    Just got my new 2005 S40 T5 Monday. Yes, I got it for $25,600. Leather, heated seats and driver side memory seat. First, I ordered the 2.4i with the premium and climate packages but after I test drove the 2.4i and the T5, I changed it to the T5 for little more money. I oreded my car through the Oversea Military Sale and pick up the car in the US with no charge. Happy with the car, the price and the dealer here in the State. Financed through the credit union (3.9%)
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    OSD can not be combined with any other incentives. The price is heavily discounted already.
    There is a lot of OSD related postings here as well. This is truly amazing program.
    You can search for my postings on XC90, S40, S60 and S80 boards, and then, track the threads backward.

I am one of the OSD cheerleaders here. I've done it twice and planning for the third one in the near future.
    Honestly, in my experience, dealers do not like trade in conjunction with the OSD, period.

They do not make much with OSD, just a fixed fee, so they will offer some ridiculous price for the trade-in.

Remember, you do not buy car from that particular dealer.

But you can ask. In my case they were agreed to buy my old car out at the final hand-over (when my new Volvo will arrive and I will pick it up from them), but the offer was laughable, if not offensive.
  • mj3x3mj3x3 Member Posts: 2
    Your deal sounds great. Did you get special military pricing?
  • mj3x3mj3x3 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a S40 24i with premium package for $25.5K. Does anyone know where there invoice information available online to compare this price to actual invoice?

Thank you.
  • tranmitranmi Member Posts: 12
    Yes, but you don't have to be a member of the arm forces. However, you need to be an DOD employee working oversea. Contractors are OK I think...
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I'm not so sure (that you don't have to be a member of the arm [sic] forces to qualify for Military OSD program) of that. At the following URL, the Military OSD program is described: http://www.volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/Programs/Milit- ary.htm In particular: "To be eligible for Overseas Delivery as part of our military program, you must be a U.S. resident and an active-duty member of the armed forces who will be stationed abroad. You are also eligible if you have been stationed abroad for at least 140 days." Note the mention of active-duty member of the armed forces.... There are different I.D. documents for active duty members of the armed forces than for civilian employees of the U.S. Department of Defense.
  • beaunedocbeaunedoc Member Posts: 15
    I recently leased a 05 S40 for two years at a very atractive rate, even more attractive than a 3 year lease. Check them out! beaunedoc
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    How good? I too have been looking into leasing, but I never really gave much thought to a 24-month deal. The '05s have rolled into the local dealer and are spec'd like I like them. What did you get yours for and what are the payments? Thanks
  • beaunedocbeaunedoc Member Posts: 15
    I was able get the Ford X plan through a friend. Do you know any Ford employees or retirees that could help you out? I had the salesperson run lease offerings on three different Volvo models, although the S40 was my first choice. To my amazement the two year lease went out the door and about $1500 with payments of about $412. The three year lease was closer to $440 with a bit more up front. It is to due with residual value on the car I suspect.
         Talk to your dealer and ask them to run the numbers for you. They may well change at the end of August and it will not likely be to your benefit. I had to take delivery by the end of the month to get the deal, so my old car is going back seven days early. beaunedoc
  • balpernbalpern Member Posts: 2
    I've been offered the old version of the Volvo S40 2004 (not the T5 or the LSE).

The offer is $25K in Canadian dollars which is about $17-8K US. It's a dealer demo with only 9K kilometers---I think about 5K miles.

I believe they are able to take about a $5-6K cut into their original costs....what do you guys think about this deal?

Are there any concerns I should have surrounding the purchase of a dealer demo or precautions I should take?

Thanks!
    Brian
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    we are looking to buy our 16 year old the most basic model -- with standard shift. am wondering what pricing others have gotten. sticker shows $23k but assuming lower prices have been gotten??
  • soyyosoyyo Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an S40 2004.5 with 2.4i
    Automatic transmission, premium package, climate package, flint grey, offblack lather interior with aluminum center control panel&
    spoiler
    for $25,800.00.
    I got 1.9 financing for 3 years. I think I did OK.
    I would appreciate any comments. It's my first Volvo and I want to keep it for as long as I can.
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.