Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mannyfreshmannyfresh Member Posts: 10
    It's a good deal, but you could do a little better. I could've gotten the same deal with black, beige premium, auto, sagitta,xenons, no climate for $ 25,500 before taxes, and could've brought it down by few hundred more!
  • greggorgreggor Member Posts: 11
    You got a great deal, I have the same base car as you do, my options are a bit different: 2005 silver T5 AWD 6spd, Select Package, 17" Sculptor, and DTP for nearly the same price you paid. 28400 + TAX + REG + Doc FEE = 30910.
  • mugglywumpmugglywump Member Posts: 2
    About to purchase my first Volvo! Could not find my top choices in colour, interior, convenience package, bi-xenon headlights w/o child boosters (I think it changes the comfort of the rear seats - I will never use the boosters). 1st choice of what remains is a new 2005 V50 2.4i, Flint Gray, w/ black leather interior, premium, audio, & climate packages, & boosters. Best price was $26,472. Dealer insists he is only making a $250 profit & has never sold a car for less profit. Have a hard time believing this. How did I do?
    Interesting way to look at things, CM3.
    Has anyone purchased or thought of purchasing an EVOLVE aerdoynamic kit for their s40. If so, any thoughts on that????
    I think you got a pretty good deal, considering you got all the bells and whistles.
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    Does anyone know if there will be anything better than the 500 incentive currently available for August in Sept? We would like to lease a S40 T5 with auto and premium pkg. In the Atlanta area if that helps. Thanks...
    never mind the incentives, we got an 06 T5 w/auto and premium pkg Saturday from Volvo @ Gwinnett Place in Duluth, GA. OTD was 27800. Dealership was great, no hassles, no tricks, no pressure. Just a fair price on the Volvo and a fair price on our trade (thanks to Terry on this one). Love the car! Color looks great and man is it fast. Can't wait to get in broken in and really let it stretch it's legs. Thanks to everyone whos posts here. It really helped to have some real world benchmarks when we went to the dealership.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The S40 and the Mazda 3 are the same car underneath actually. The wife chose the 3 over the S40 because of the rediculously high headrests. The 3's are a bit smaller, so she bought it. The S40 was a bit more expensive also. She paid about $16.8 for the 3 S sedan and the cheapest Volvo with just automatic was $20,995 before t, t & l.
    Did see a white S40 on the drive home tonight and it was a really sharp looking car. We're just cousins with the S40...and I think we're both part of the Ford family i think.

The Sandman :)
  • frankb3frankb3 Member Posts: 1
    Looking into getting a 06 S40 2.4i / select / sports / leather / auto. Has anyone had any experience in current OTD price this this configuration? Dealer is taling ~$100 over invoice. Comments? Suggestions?
  • benjaminsbenjamins Member Posts: 56
    Did you drive both the Mazda 3 and Volvo s40? The s40 really isn't crossed shopped with the Mazda and although they share underpinnings, they feel quite different. The Mazda handles sharper but feels considerably lighter, rides differently, doesn't have the 4 grades of steel as the Volvo, doesn't have the whiplash protection, and numerous other aspects that make Volvos Volvos, not to mention different engines and brakes. The Mazda is a fine value, and a fun to drive car for sure, but it really is quite a different car than the Volvo outside of general size and some shared components.
  • cllawcllaw Member Posts: 32
    Hi all

I'm a newbies here so please forgive me if I put down something funny.

I got a quote from my dealer with S40i with option listed below
    1: Select Packages
    2: Climate Packages
    3: Metallic paint
    4: Automatic transmission.

The MSRP is $28,750 and the dealer quote to me is $26,480. The dealer is located in Brooklyn, New York City. There are only 3 Volvo dealers in the town and one of them give me a crazy price so I won't go back there.

I'm looking into enter a 2 years lease with 10,000 miles per year. Do you think any dealer willing to do a 2 years lease? I check around and most of the dealer out there offer 3 years lease only? I will appreciate if any one can give me a hand on it.

Regards

Alex the rookie :)
  • batman702batman702 Member Posts: 12
    I was listening to the radio here in las vegas, and a volvo commercial comes on. It has something to do with the new pricing on the volvos, there is a $3000 incentive right now? and they will double it on the remaining 05's. Has anyone heard of this? is it regional? I can't find anything about it online or on the dealers website. Any info would be good, thanks.

Ready to buy a s40 t5 in vegas.
  • corkylou26corkylou26 Member Posts: 1
    is there any complaints about the s40? Any problems? :P I think it's a sharp looking car. I'm debating over a saab9-3 or a S40 :P
    We've had a T5, auto with premium pkg for about a month now and love it. The car is quite powerful with the turbo. Very comfortable as well. Only "complaint" I have is that the space between the brake and gas pedals is tight for me. Does not bother my wife however, which works as this is her car. Read the other posts in the forum and make you decision. I did not see anything that scared me off the car. We also considered the 9-3 (scared of reliability), CTS (too expensive) and TSX (too common). One of the things we like best about the car is that it is not too common, at least in our area. BMW's, Lexi, Infiniti and Acura at almost every intersection, but not many S40's. Same could be said for the Saab, but again reliability and resale scared me. We'll see how the Volvo fares.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    My opinion on that was that in 2005, the 9-3 was better at the low end, more power, AWD, leather, stability control all in the base car, but the volvo was better at the high end when equipped with the t5, awd, etc.

dave
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    You were probably thinking of 9-2 vs. S40, not 9-3 vs. S40. 9-3 is a lot more luxurious than 9-2, but no AWD, yet.
    Ugh. I was meaning to compare the 9-3 to s40. The AWD in the above was a brain hiccup i get for cutting and pasting too much. I meant to say "but no AWD available."

You're right the 9-3 is much more luxurious then the 9-2. I wouldn't compare the 9-2 to the 9-3 to s40.

My previous look see was in '05. Both cars have changed somewhat. Here's the '06 comparison:

9-3 (210hp2.0L turbo 4) $26,620
    s40i (168hp 2.4L i-5) + leather and DSTC $26,345

The saab's just a few bucks more and wins on engine big-time. On the other hand, you can delete leather on the volvo for the arguably superior gore-tex and save significant $$.

However, on the high end:
    s40+awd+t5+dstc+xenons+premium(sunroof)+winter = 33,087
    9-3+winter package(rest is standard) = 33,720

The price was much more on the saab last year--in this case the volvo offers AWD, but the saab offers the 258hp turbo v6 vs the 218hp i-5. Depends on what you like.

Tough call in either case.
  • schoupschoup Member Posts: 22
    You can't really compare the S40i to the 9-3 2.0T you need to compare the S40 T5 (218hp) to the 9-3 2.0T (210 hp). Also realize that on the 9-3 you need to get the premium pkg because the Std audio system is horrible. The 9-3+premium+moonroof is comparable to theS40 T5+premium(includes moonroof)+audio. The The MSRP's are close but Volvo has much better resale value and reliability. Also Saab is offering nothing for incentives right now while Volvo is.
    Fair enough. I have more thoughts, but i'll be quiet as this is not a comparison board. ;)
  • stax369stax369 Member Posts: 4
    I am curious as to what fellow board members think of the offers I was proposed by 2 dealerships in Colorado.
    1st offer: '06 S40 T5 Auto MSRP 30,335, offered it at a lease price of $26624.

2nd offer at another dealer: '06S40 T5 fully loaded MSRP of $34500 offered it to me at a cap cost of 28800.

What does anyone think??? Problem is, I've got 2 trades to figure in the equation '03 Explorer, and an '01 Mustang that I owe a combined 23k on. Dealer 1 said they'de give me 20k for both and dealer 2 said he'd pay them off but I'd have to come up with 3k down for the advertised monthly lease pymt of $399 pr mo.

Can anyone tell me if these are good deals or if there is room for more negotiation..
    I would be very grateful for any wise words of wisdom Thanks!
  • disney2disney2 Member Posts: 25
    What incentives is Volvo offering now? Thanks. Does anyone know what the money factor and residual value of a 36 month lease would be for the S40? Thanks.
  • bivouac1bivouac1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at the S4 and there is a beautiful one at my local dealer. I can't figure out what a good deal for the 2005 vs the 2006 online. I think there is a 2500 'marketing' incentive for the dealership. Any idea on what a good deal, perhaps from invoice, would be for this S40?

My guess would be invoice minus the $2500, plus about $500.00.

I hope to get the deal made tomorrow. Thanks!
    Volvo does have a manufacturer to dealer incentive of $1000 right now, probably available to most dealers that they can pass on to the customer. Dealer told me yesterday the m.f. is about .00196, another dealer told me the residual is about 50%.
    Ok... narrowed it down to this:

I'm in the Twin Cities area and
    plan on making an offer tomorrow for:

2006 VOLVO S40 2.4i with:

Blue Metallic Paint
    MC577 Select Package
    TMP086 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
    MC578 Sport Package
    MC580 Climate Package

------------------------------
    MRSP 29,498
    INVOICE 27,568
    -----------------------------

I'm thinking of offering 26,500 as I know there are about $1500.00 in dealer incentives.
    Am I screwing myself?!??
    I didn't get it for $26,500.

Finally settled for $27,218 - $350.00 under invoice. I was happy with that. I've only driven it about 10 miles, but so far so good!
  • jimsa1252jimsa1252 Member Posts: 3
    Yes the S40 is a nice car. but you're in debt. Keep the cars, or sell one (yourself, not a trade) and pay down your loan before you even thing of buying a new car. FYI, stay away from leases. If you can't afford to buy an new car don't do it. Besides, you end up with nothing at the end and pay more in the long run.
    Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Also, I too, realized that leasing is not the way to go for me... I drove an S40 T5 this weekend and man I love that car, but, I'm also thinking about waiting until some of the used ones hit the lot, that body style started in 2004.5 so I figure some used ones should start to hit the lots in the next 6 months or so. THANKS!
    Congrats on your new car purchase! That brilliant blue IS Gorgeous!!
  • genericonegenericone Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and am seriously cosidering an S40 T5 purchase. It's down to the Subaru WRX Limited (pretty much loaded w/leather) or the Volvo S40. The final decision will be made based on cost of the car. The Subaru will cost me about $27,500 OTD but if I wanted a similarly packaged Volvo, I think I'll be paying much more. What would a good deal on an S40 T5 auto/premium/sport/xenon equipped be OTD (tax here is 4.167%)? Any and all opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. eric
  • waverlywaverly Member Posts: 3
    I've been offered the following:

'05 T5 AWD
    Silver/black
    Heated/leather seats
    Sunroof
    Audio Pckg

But most important its a dealer demo with 3,900 miles

$26,990

Unsure if this is a good offer or not. Thanks.
    waverly--
    We paid about 900 more than that for an 06 T5 w/ premium pkg. Brand new, so I think the dealer could do better.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    For another data point....

My local dealer is advertising '05 T5 AWD for $28,313.. They say they have five of them left.... brand new..

What is the MSRP on the demo that you are considering?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

First thanks to both of kyfdx and au94 for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Now to kyfdx's question about MSRP. Its a little unclear. The dealer mentioned only those specific features that I listed in my post as being options included in the car, but did not answer my direct question about whether the car has only those features as one off's or as part of the premium and cllimat packages. Therefore I think the MSRP is around the $32 to $33.3 price range.
    Yeah.. I think that info is germane to the discussion...

$26,900 on a $33,500 car is a better deal than $26,900 on a $32,000 car...

In my experience, demos usually don't come with enough of a discount over a brand-new unit, to merit buying them.. Although, occasionally, you'll run into a good deal...

I'd have a hard time dropping $26,900 on a car with 4K miles, when there are brand new models to be had for just $1400 more... But, that is just me..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Update on the Demo T5 AWD. We ended up buying the car. To recap:

Metallic Silver
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium
    Climate
    Audio
    MSRP = 33,325

Car was a demo, ended up having 5500 miles on it instead of 3900 as we were originally told (shady).

Final price -25,700.

I know some don't care for the cars with miles on it, but I think we got a good deal. Any thoughts?

By the way, a huge thank you to Edmunds in general and this forum in particular for sharing your collective knowledge. Having the informational knowledge this forum provides was absolutely crucial and comforting.
    If you're happy with it, thats the most important thing. Thats a pretty good discount on a car that can still be titled as new. I would have asked for a warranty extension to cover what has already been consumed.

Enjoy the car, they are a blast to drive.
    That seems like a pretty good deal...

Congratulations on the new car!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 1sttimebuyer1sttimebuyer Member Posts: 4
    I am seriosly considering purchasing an S40 in the next week. The dealership I went to offered me a 2.4i with an automatic transmission and leather seating (no select package - very basic other than those two options) for $25,692, which I was told was the invoice price. What would you counteroffer with? What should I pay for the car? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    I got mine for $350.00 UNDER invoice. There is $1000.00 back going to the dealership right now. Took all day, but they finally sold it to me under invoice (and rubber floor mats - You GOTTA get the rubber mats). I LOVE my S40 - Good Luck!
  • 06_s40_owner06_s40_owner Member Posts: 1
    I found this message board helpful when I was looking for an S40 so I thought I would post my deal for the next person's reference. I just bought an '06 S40 T5 with Premium, Sport, Climate and Automatic from a dealer in Dallas. I got a good deal on my destroyed, hail damaged, dented '97 850 as a trade and I leased for 36 months. I don't know the money factor and residual I was given but I had a sales price of $28,575 and a monthly payment of $492. I probably could have haggled another $30 or $40/month out of them if I had been a bigger jerk but I am fine with this price and hope others find this helpful. :shades:
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    I just got a quote on a flint gray '05 S40 T5 AWD with Auto and stability control for 27.9k in Bakersfield, California. Needless to say, we are speaking more.
  • nim13nim13 Member Posts: 2
    I'm just beginning to shop around for an S40. I'm going into my last semester of college and I saw that they offer an incentive for graduates. Does anyone know what that actually is?

thanks so much!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I believe it's $500 but call a dealer to confirm.
  • bjl_mlsbjl_mls Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking at buying an S40. I was interested in a 2.4i stick with select package. The dealer has a car he refers to as an "oops." The customer purchased the car and drove it 600 mikes in 1 week. According to the salesperson, she had a hard time with the visibility and decided she needed the v50. The dealership took the car back and is now selling it. The car is a T5 with auto transmission and the Climate and Premium Packages. The MSRP is 31380 and the invoice is 29415. They have a sale sticker in the window for 29900. Today the salesperson called to offer it to me at 28700 and they would toss in floormats.

This is more car than I was looking to purchase, but could be a good deal. It's also a white care and I was looking for Red or Blue.

Given the situation, and the fact it's Thanksgiving week, a traditionally slow car buying week, how much would be a good offer for the oops?

Thanks
    Brian
    First, make sure the car can be titled as "new", if that's important to you.

As for your offer, in August we purchased an 06 T5 with auto and premium pkg for 28700. So if its a 06 it probably a pretty good deal IMHO. If its an of, there is a lot more room, about 1k I'd say.
    Thanks,

Despite it being a good deal I couldn't see myself in a white car. I passed on the Opps, but thanks for the response and advise.

As it turns out, they had a Red S40 2.4i with climate, select package and auto trans come in today. The MSRP is 28275 and they are offering to me at 26300 (Invoice is 26,517). Looks like it will work out well.

I think I might be a new car owner. :D
    Well, I had an interesting Thanksgiving Eve.

Last night I used the edmonds.com site to go over the offer I had from the dealer. By all accounts it seemed like an excellent deal, I hit the button on the TMV page to get price quotes from other dealers. I received two calls today. The first one confirmed that i was getting a great deal and told me he couldn't beat it. The second call was from a another dealer owned by the same organization. They had an identical car in stock to the one I wanted (Passion Red 2.4i, Auto, Climate, Select) and would sell it under the first quote. I asked about a trade in and they had me bring the car. (This is 7:00 on thanksgiving eve.) I drove to the dealer, they dropped the price of the car again, and gave me a good deal on my 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe (with under 28K and in excellent shape.) At 9:45 I drove off in my new Passion Red S40 a very happy camper.

MSRP was 28,275
    Invoice was 26767
    Sales price was 25933

:):D;)
    I always like a story with a happy ending!! Congratulations.. I've seen the S40 in RED, and it looks great..

Be sure to check out the other Volvo S40 forums...

Volvo S40

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sahanasahana Member Posts: 1
    Well...I read your post and thought that I should tell you about the price I got on my 2006 2.4i since I bought basically the same car, but for 1,600 less. Through an internet salesperson in San Antonio I bought a Passion Red 2.4i with auto, climate, select and leather seating for $24,300. The invoice on this car was $27,549 and the MSRP was $29,475. The dealer even transported it in from Dallas for me at no charge.
This discussion has been closed.