Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Need some input, I want to make sure I do this right :)

06 S40 2.4i

Sticker is $28,750...
    $350.00 below invoice is $26,575...
    I have a trade, so I just subtract my tradein from the $26,575 correct...????? Thanks for any input!!!
    don
  • bamafamilybamafamily Member Posts: 12
    '06 Volvo S40 2.4i
    Barents Blue

Auto Transmission
    Select Package
    Climate package

price - $26,852.50
    TTL - $755
    OTD - $27607.50

plus I get an extra $500 back in 8 weeks for being a corporate credit union member via Volvo.

so my actual OTD price is $27107.50

This look ok?? thx
    Mark
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    Hi Mark,

We got an 06 T5, w/auto and premium pkg for about 700 more in August so I think the dealer could do better.
  • bamafamilybamafamily Member Posts: 12
    thx for the info..
    My wife decided that a Civic EX gave her what she wanted for about 8K less...thx again
  • mjv4998mjv4998 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a silver metallic S40 2.4i
    Automatic
    Select package
    Sport package
    Msrp: $28,823
    Invoice: $26,988

Paid: $25,000 + tax title

good luck all
  • rayleiwurayleiwu Member Posts: 18
    Got a good price on S40 (1k below invoice) and I almost came to sign the sales contract until a colleague suggested me to give a shot on 06 passat. Here is my comparison.

Pre-conditions:
    a) i was looking for a car for day-to-day commute and for family.
    b) I'm not a fan of sport car
    c) the car should fit with my age range - 30s, not 20s or 40s
    d) I want basic configration, a car with mininum options, only required option is automatic trans
    e)the car should have good value
    d)we never owned or drove both of them before

comparisons:

Volvo S40 vs Passat 2.0T

1) Final price : S40: 23.5K (invoice - 500) + tax + lis; 7 to 8% financing rate for 60 months
    2.0T: 23.8K (invoice - 300) + tax + lis; 4.9% for 60 months - this guy wins!

2) Exterior design: give my vote to S40 but my wife likes 2.0T more - according to her, the square blue logo with a long line crossed over realy screwed the design. So 2.0T wins (... or my wife wins ...)

3) Interior: S40 - Cloth; out-of-date green/dark screens; less functional components; plastic feel finish; unacceptable audio system
    2.0T - Leatherette; contemporary and very detail design everywhere; well built; roomier; better sounds from audio system

4) Performance: "T" realy makes difference, response and drive fast with 2.0T
    Engine & road noise came from 2.0T is much less than S40; 2.0T has quieter and smoother ride

5) Safety: Volvo has better historic reputation but not sure about it at present. My understanding is newer design means safer car, the world getting better because people are learning from past and making it better for future.

6) Other matters: 2.0T is built in Germany while the other one Belgium
    Volvo is a better brandname but it's owned by Ford anyway...
    More negative news have been coming out from Ford ...

Conclusion: the new designed passat is worth to give a try, lots of detailed practical new features will catch you such as self-drain unbralle holder on the side of driver's door, electic park braking, hill-hold assistant and the best designed remote control, of which provide you unique way to turn on/off your car by inserting and pushing it like a button.
    Volvo does have a good exterior design but it appears they didn't pay too much attention on interior, all the componments still keep the same as my old 2001 Chevellet...
  • sbvolvosbvolvo Member Posts: 7
    We have been looking for a S40 T5 and looked into leasing a 2006 but in the process found a 2005 S40 T5 AWD, Prem Pkg. 6spd manual which is exactly what my husband wanted. My question is what should we offer on a 2005 now that it is Jan 06? the MSRP is $31,250. I feel like if we could get a good enough price on an 05 it might be better to buy than to lease an 06. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • mustangmommustangmom Member Posts: 3
    hmmm.. i was shopping for an 05 or 06 S40T last week. dealership would not deal at all. sticker price or nothing. so guess what, i bought a 2006 mustang GT and got it for invoice. go figure. good luck to all. seems like there are deals to be had on volvos, just not where i live.
  • s40reds40red Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone!
    I just got a 06' S40 2.4I automatic, with leather seating, Select Pkg. & Sport Packg. for $27,477.00 I got it at Bozzani Volvo in Covina, CA. I higly recommend this dealer. :):):):)
  • davidp158davidp158 Member Posts: 16
    A local dealer has an '05 S40 for $30,000 with these features:

AWD
    Premium package
    Dynamic trim pkg
    Auto
    Climate / Bixeon pkg
    metallic paint

Invoice = $33,676
    MSRP = $36,122
    selling at $30,000

As this is a 2005 model, I'm trying to determine what a fair price is for the car. I offered $29,000 but the dealer said they have no room to budge. Also they have it priced below their invoice, does Volvo provide any incentives to their dealers to sell previous year cars, after the turn of the new year? We like the car, but we would probably buy one without AWD, and definetly not the Dynamic Trim package, if we bought a 2006.

We are also looking at the Audi A3 hatchback. Its more fun to drive, better gas mileage, but to stay around $30,000 we'd have to limit our options to turbo, automatic and sunroof. The '05 S40 has more features for the same price, but I'm just not sure $30,000 is the right price.

Dave
  • davidp158davidp158 Member Posts: 16
    I'm not sure if this question is too broad, but is there a consensus on how much off one should expect to pay for a new, 2005 car, purchased in 2006? I don't expect an exact dollar amount, but wonder how the depreciated value of a newly purchased, last year (2005) car should be calclated. Any thoughts on this?

Dave
  • makavellismakavellis Member Posts: 1
    I've talked my local dealer down to 18,150 before taxes on a 2005 s40 2.4i with nearly no options other than my dealer add ons. The car has 8 miles on it. What do you guys think?
  • smartxtaismartxtai Member Posts: 2
    I'm so excited. I just bought a brand new 2006 Volvo 2.4i and I got a great deal on it.

I got the car for $20k and after tax and fees, it still came out to less than $22k.
  • gregory3gregory3 Member Posts: 7
    That sounds great!! Congratulations on your new car. Hey, what kind of options do you have on it? I am currenlty looking to buy this car and would like to here more info. (i.e how much off MSRP? What area did you buy it? etc...
    What was sticker, and how much did they knock off sticker?...the closest volvo dealer to me is knocking $3,000 off sticker.

don
  • smartxtaismartxtai Member Posts: 2
    I didn't get any options. Just the basic S40 2.4i. It is a black on black manual S40. The MSRP price for the car was $24,735.00 and the invoice for that car was $23,578.00. I bought the car from Royal Volvo in San Francisco. The car was brand new with only 29mi on it with no problems whatsoever. I don't know how the dealer was able to offer me the car for only $20k, but it is an insane deal. No other dealers could even come close to that price.
    I'd be happy with $4,700 off sticker....I think you did just fine.

don
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Saw some killer deals here in South Florida last year for a 240 with an auto tranny for $20.000. The wife hated the high head rests and ended up with a Mazda3, which has the exact same body underneath. I preferred the Volvo, but those darn head rests were the deal breaker. Don't get me wrong, the 3 is a fun car to drive, but I liked the looks of the Volvo much better. Maybe when it's my turn in 2008, I'll relook at the 240 again.

The Sandman :)
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    I'm getting $3800 to $4000 off msrp on various quotes I've received for a couple of different s40s. And these are just the first offers. I haven't even had the opportunity to counter the offers yet so I know I can get a better price. ;) I notice there is dealer cash on other models but not on the s40. They must be using this dealer cash to move the s40s as well, it's just that we are privy to that.

Anyone else getting great deals on the S40s?? I'm in the NoVA area. Thanks.
    Yeah, I'm seeing about that in the NE area.
    I might go with the lease for MSRP of $28810. Lease for $249 a month with $1,000 down for 27 months. (for the 2.4i with sunroof, automatic, Select and Climate Package).

Sound like a good deal?
    buy out at end of lease is around $18k.
    I don't know anything about leasing but just doing the simple math tells me you are spending 249x27=6723+1000down=7723. Then paying 18k at the end would put the cost at 25723. Assuming no mileage penalties, and then adding in TTL, this seems a rather expensive proposition. A straight "buy" would be cheaper. But I guess that's the price you pay to walk away after 27 months, right?
    Don't blast me, I'm just trying to understand....
    You make a valid Point.

A. Still need TTL if you purchase correct?

B. If we apply the same down ($1000) and I negotiate purchase price of 24500 ($4,000 off MSRP), I will still need to finance 23500. I think the finance charges of the first 2 years to be over $2000 alone. Also I calculate the monthly payments at $470 (4.9% 60 months).

If I lease and then buy (using the offer mentioned earlier with no additional negotiating), I'm looking at a total 25500 (1000 down also includes first month). (1000 more than if I purchase from the get go, but with finance charges it is actually less. (yeah, we will need to finance 18k or so if we buy it, but we also have the option of turning it (assuming we are not over milage etc...)..

So in the end, to me it doesn't look like leasing is any more than buying, (in fact possibly less)..

Does this make sense? Is my logic correct? I haven't leased before so this would be my first time.
    I think I can answer your first question -- yes, TTL apply. There are ALWAYS taxes, titling, and tag fees.

I cannot answer or comment on your other issues -- I simply don't know enough about it. There are leasing forums in Edmunds. Perhaps you should take the question there if you want to get some opinions.

In the end, if you have an accountant, or someone who can advise you things financial, you should ask him/her (I'm not rich enough to have one of those).

Good luck.

dave
    Folks, just a general question about the seat comfort. I had a bad truck accident last year and my neck and back were effected and I'm looking to buy a car which is back & neck friendly and where I can manipulate the driving position depending on the pain level. I've heard from friends that the cloth seating surfaces in the S40 are quite comfortable and the seats are very back friendly. Is this true?
    Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. We already have a Mazda3, which is the same body as the S40 and I prefer that size. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Might want to buy as early as this coming August with the end of year models.

The Sandman :sick:
    I went to the dealer and basically said that you can get the car for $22,000 (MSRP of 30k (which I really think is 28k but somehow the dealer was showing my how it calculated to 30k), but this deal is only good for a lease and not available to buy the car for that price (which sounds a little fishy to me).
    Anyway, that's all... Thanks again for your response.

Greg
  • michelles40michelles40 Member Posts: 1
    Don't do it. It's to small for a man I THINK. It should have been made just for women. :)
    Funny, our Mazda 3 is the same body as the S40 and we all fit fine in there. The seats are very hard for me, but I hardly ever drive the wife's ride since my accident. But if the S40 seats are as good as I've heard, that might just be the way to go for me. And I know it'll fit on my side of the garage. I only drive about 9k miles a year, and that's with the kids also using the car, so it'll take me at least 5 years to even get up to 50k miles.
    What kind of warranty does the S40 have now? Hopefully it's longer than the 3/36 on most brands. Our 3 has a 4/50 but Mazda went back to the 3/36 for 2007 I've heard in the Mazda 3 Forum.

The Sandman :)
  • moo1moo1 Member Posts: 7
    I was just at a Volvo dealer looking at S40s. The salesman said that Volvo is no longer shipping 06s thus the only units he could offer were on the lot or could be traded from other dealers. He said 07s would come out in the fall, like Sep. This is the first I have heard this. Is there truth to this or is this some kind of sales tactic?

By the way, does anyone have a manual that is unhappy with foot space? Seemed like not much space to maneuver your feet around when I first got in but was okay when I drove it.
  • deepthinkerdeepthinker Member Posts: 13
    I've had an S40 T5 for about 3 months now. It has a manual transmission, and I have noticed that foot space is tight. I'm very average-5'10, size 10 shoes, and with certain shoes, it's annoying trying to negotiate the pedals. I have wondered what people with big feet and big shoes would do. It would not be a deal breaker for me, but I would make a point of putting on some wide shoes and going through the motions of using the pedals. You may find that it would be too annoying. If you drive very aggressively, it may be downright dangerous.
  • john_dohjohn_doh Member Posts: 2
    moo1 - i don't think it's a sales tactic. i went to one dealer here in the sf bay area and wanted specific options on a s40 t5, and they couldn't locate one and said they couldn't order one, as it is the end of the build year. i went to another dealership and first was told they couldn't do it either. after they made a call to the regional manager, who has access to special order vehicles remaining region wide, he was able to locate 2 still being held for a los angeles dealership with 3 days left to use them. this was on 3/28. i was able to place a specific order for one of the last 06 models and it is en route, due to arrive during the first week of june.
  • coast2coastcoast2coast Member Posts: 13
    First I'd like to say how awesome Edmunds and this forum is. Now that I'm done buttering you up.

Can someone give me the actual A1 Credit Money Factor (I think there is a special offer right now) and Residual on a 36 month, 15k miles a year lease;

1) 2006 S40 T5 (fwd not awd)

2) 2006 S40 2.4I (Select, Sport Packages if that matters)

3) Can you residualize the spoiler/body cladding? (Since its a dealer add on?)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! :)

Support Edmunds and Click on all those lil banners!!!!
  • iloveiriloveir Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I was quoted $25,743 on a brand new '06 S40 2.4i Automatic, Barents Blue with Select and Climate packages. I need to close this deal quickly...Is this a reasonable offer or should we try to get it lower? Thanks!
  • amerincaicaamerincaica Member Posts: 4
    I got the same offer....I'm also wondering if I should close the deal...
  • mdidmdid Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 S40 T5 manual awd. A lot of people on this forum have complained about the foot room in the car, and I have my own issues with it, but in a way that seems to be different from the other complaints. I'm 6'1" with size 10.5 feet. I don't have any problems with the pedals being too close to each other, even while wearing boots. The issue I have is that if my foot is too upright when I go from the gas to the brake, I will occasionally catch my toe on the underside of the dashboard. It is very disconcerting when it happens, but I've learned to adjust my positioning so it hardly ever occurs. It is the only complaint I have about the car -- otherwise I'm very happy with it.
  • bivouac1bivouac1 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like a GREAT deal. I have the same car, worked like a MADMAN to get it for 27,000 last September.
  • shinzwaishinzwai Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I just wanted to share the deal I just got with everyone for your information. I just leased a 2006 Volvo 2.4i with leather, the Select package and an automatic transmission for a total of $584 down and $353 per month including tax and gap insurance. This took place in West Palm Beach.

The down payment was basically the first month's payment and the security deposit.

Good luck to you all,

Chris
  • cleve2cleve2 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

Just wanted to share my great purchasing experience and deal made at Fremont Volvo (SF Bay Area).

We just purchased a new '06 S40 2.4i, flint gray, automatic, select package, sport package, and leather seats for $24K (MSRP $30K). We had two dealers offer us $6K off MSRP, but this dealership made the entire deal over the internet/phone AND gave me a great deal on my trade. Also, their internet sales person was very professional and a true pleasure to deal with.

Thanks to everyone for the information being shared here.
  • artin76artin76 Member Posts: 2
    hi chris could u give me this palm beach web address or phone number please,thank you
  • artin76artin76 Member Posts: 2
    hi i want a lease volvo S40 automatic, does any one know from where i can get good deal i live in los angeles,ca thank you.
  • apm4apm4 Member Posts: 4
    Ok...I have spoken with the Volvo dealer and gotten some numbers. I would very much appreciate it if I could have some feedback.

I am turning in a 2003 Saturn L200 and hope to get roughly $8000 dollars. The buyout is 10,000 so this leaves me 2000 dollars in the negative. The dealer told me Volvo switched the incentive this week and that it is no longer 4,000 dollars through a private bank but only 3,000 dollars and through the volvo financial......

So I will be up only 1,000 dollars because of the trade in taking away from the incentive. I plan on putting another 1000 dollars down.....SO these are the numbers:

36-month lease. Market Value of car is 24,735. I will be given a 1000 dollar incentive and putting 1000 dollars down therefore the car will have a cap cost of 22735 roughly. The money factor given was .00091 and the Residual Factor was 53. The monthly payment offered is 363.00 dollars.

Can somebody please tell me if this a good deal, makes sense, or if I should be negotiating more. I am new at this lease game and have tried the calculations out. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS...I am from NY and the sales tax is 8.75 if that also makes a difference...thanks again.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    Reminder...

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

OK....new 06 S40 2.4i sticker is $29,498 how much should i try to get the dealer to knock off sticker? I'm in North central Pa!
    When do the 07's start arriving on the lots, might be able to do better when the 07's start shipping...

don
  • amerincaicaamerincaica Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to haggling, how'd you get all the way down there!? Did you make the offer, etc?
  • cleve2cleve2 Member Posts: 4
    There was very little haggling.

We found that every dealer was offering a different Volvo incentive. One dealership was $4K off, then another at$5K off. We left the $5K dealership to discuss further and they called us the next morning and said the incentives just changed and now the car was $6K off (6/7/06). But, they wanted me to roll over $2K on my trade so we shopped the same price via email to the internet manager at another dealership. He responded quickly and made the deal without seeing the trade or us.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • _elle__elle_ Member Posts: 6
    I just bought my brand new 2006 s40 2.4i with a 5-speed manual tranny on Memorial Day. Got a great deal on it, $19,989, at Dick Dyer Mercedes-Benz/Volvo in Columbia, South Carolina. The salespeople were very friendly and so far, I've been very pleased with my purchase. When I was shopping around for the best price, my dad called up a dealership in Georgia where he had purchased 2 Volvos in the past and the best they could offer him was $22,000.
    Since Memorial Day, my little Swede has made it through the daily commute and a 1,000 mile road trip with no problems!
    :)
    _elle_ what was sticker????

I'm looking at a S40, sticker is $29.498...besides the $3,000 rebate, how much more can i expect to have the dealer knock off???

don
  • _elle__elle_ Member Posts: 6
    Don,

Mine was an absolute base model and the sticker was $24,450.00. So I'm not sure how much you could get your dealer to take off the S40 you are wanting to buy. Have you checked the TMV of the S40 you are looking at on edmunds.com?

Hope this helps!
    elle
    Thanks elle,
    Been looking around, i'm seeing $4800 off right now which sounds pretty good, going to wait till late july, and see if it gets any better. :)
  • marksnarkmarksnark Member Posts: 2
    Any feedback on buying a New 2005 VS New 2006? Any problems with a 2005 that it should be avoided?

Bellingham WA area dealer has a New (125 miles) 2005 S40 T5 AWD as follows-
    Audio package-S
    Climate Package
    Convenience Package
    Bi-Xenon Headlights
    Power Glass Sunroof
    Automatic T-tec upholstery - not leather

It is passion red with Quartz beige interior.

MSRP=$33,745
    Dealer Invoice $31,574

Dealer is Asking for $27,950. Have not had any further negotiating.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Marksnark...lousy deal in my opinion....

darcars in Rockville,md are knocking $5,230.00 off all their new 06 S40's regardless of sticker. Your deal is only $500 more for an 05!! not good enough in my opinion.

In my opinion, an 05 should be several thousand dollars more off.
This discussion has been closed.