Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• suspendmixsuspendmix Member Posts: 43
    Hi there! Can anyone post prices paid for S40s in the SF bay area? I'm looking for an 06 s40 2.4i..maybe barrents blue or black...not sure if i want leather and/or auto...and if you have dealers you can refer me to, that would be great to. Thanks again!
  • cleve2cleve2 Member Posts: 4
    I highly recommend Fremont Volvo and their internet sales rep (see previous post on June 9th). A friend just bought an '06 S40 a few days ago from San Leandro, but they were not willing to offer as great a discount as Fremont or Pleasanton.
  • longhornjefflonghornjeff Member Posts: 7
    Did I just miss a huge incentive break in June? All of you guys are saying 4500-5500 off MSRP. Are deals like these still available. Please get back to me, need to decide on a car by the end of the week and getting a deal like those described above would put me in an S40, otherwise not.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    The 07's are already arriving on the lots..their going to have to knock off $4500-$5500 to move out the 06's!!

don
    Ya, I've done some calling around and it looks to be about $5000 off of MSRP right now....base models for 2.4i manual in non-metallics can easily be had for 19500 in the SF bay area....anybody find anything cheaper? i'm tempted to pick it up since i've already got financing in place but I really just want a base model with a metallic color but those seem rare...
  • stanwelksstanwelks Member Posts: 35
    I would like to go to a dealer with a price, though I am not sure how to figure out how to price these. There are many options listed on the Edmunds site, and I am not sure which of these features can be realistically selected?

My only requirements:
    - Automatic
    - navigation
    - the leather interior

Is it possible to get one with just these options? If not, if I get these options, what other options are likely to come with it?

Thanks!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Thats a VERY tough car.
    I would be really surprised if you found one.
    Nav is the issue.
    A leather car is typically going to have the Select pkg if it is a 2.4i or the Premium pkg if it is a T5.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I really just want a base model with a metallic color but those seem rare...

Yup,
    Those cars were typically built in Black, Red or White.
    Why is NAV the issue? How is the NAV that comes with it? Is it user friendly?
    I would like to keep the price of the car to $25k or less before TTL. I selected the following options based on those I am interested in, and the ones I figured would likely come with the car, and it is now at $32k invoice!

000142 Volvo Navigation System
    TMP086 Geartronic 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
    MC589 Audio Package
    000438 Bi-Xenon Headlamps

Invoice $32,565

1.) Are the dealers selling these cars with these options below invoice, or are only the baseline cars being sold for these kinds of deals?

2.) Anyone have any advice for getting one of these for around $25k? Only necessity for me is really automatic. I could go for aftermarket nav, etc.

Thanks!
    If the dealers (for an 06) aren't knocking off $5,000 from sticker don't buy from em...
    "If the dealers (for an 06) aren't knocking off $5,000 from sticker don't buy from em..."

Is the "sticker" really a good gauge of price to go off of? Don't the dealers just arbitrarilty markup the car? Shouldn't the gague be the invoice?
    "Don't the dealers just arbitrarilty markup the car?"

Not in my opinion, but i'm no expert on this....dealers do mark up cars if there's high demand and only a few are being built( the first run of the Pontiac Solstice comes to mind...

I'm looking at buying an 06 S40 2.4i with certain options, and i've found several that are exact in color and options at different dealers... and the "Sticker" is the SAME at these dealers....but one dealer is knocking off $4,000 from sticker, and another is knocking $5230 off!, for the exact same car.

I was always told the "Invoice" number can also vary!?!?
    So who knows.....

don
    Alright so I finally did it! My experience at purchasing a Volvo was great! Got mine at Royal Motors and it was the most hassle free car buying experience I've had to date. Emailed them last week for a quote on a base model s40 in non metallic 5sp - $19400...liked the metallics better and test drove an auto at another dealership and liked that...

went to royal motors and test drove the stick and told the sales person that I like the auto and asked if he could do it for a quote i got from another dealer at 20,788 (royal motors gave me much more for my trade in, $11,000 for a 2003 honda civic ex with a dent on the bumper)...sticker was 26,640 or over 5800 under MSRP. Its a base car but with metallic flint grey color and an automatic...sales guy actually traded another dealer for the car!

Great experience and little haggling involved...if they can do it, seems like they will...
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    Just purchased a 06 S40 in San Leandro Ca. It was a great and fairly easy experience....got a base silver met, auto 2.4i for 21060 plus fees. Other dealers in the area wouldn't return my calls or emails or badgered me on the phone to put a ton of money down. The dealer in San Leandro worked with me with little down and fit me in to a 48 mth lease.
  • huckleberry12huckleberry12 Member Posts: 1
    Putnam Volvo in Burlingame, CA was running an ad in Sunday's SF Chronicle Car section for a one day sale on the S40 2.4i with metallic paint, t-tech, automatic and select package for $21,998 + taxes/fees. They had 5 in stock.

Smythe Volvo in San Jose, CA had a similar ad for $22,000 + tax/fees, but they had at least 20 in stock. Sounds like a great deal if you can still get it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the deal again this weekend.
  • cutt1001cutt1001 Member Posts: 1
    All...

I purchased a 2006 Volvo S40 today (Friday July 21st, 2006). Sticker was $29085 and I paid $23116 (plus TTL). I thought with a deal like this I can't pass it up. Always thought Volvo's were out of my league. I absolutely love the Bareant Blue...Excellent Handling, Very Stylish..and a reasonable price.
  • umshbumshb Member Posts: 10
    Hi there; I've been to the Volvo dealership past couple of days (they REALLY wanted to sell one to me). I'm located in West Alabama, btw.

I liked the T5 black automatic (no more manuals :( ) w/ spoiler...would have liked premium sound, but whatever.

With MSRP and Invoice around $27 - $28, the initial offer was around $27-something...up to right under $29 after all of the "fees".

There are about five 06's left (only 2 were T5), and two new 07's. I said I wouldn't purchase it today, but they wanted to know (going back tomorrow). I said I was looking at the Accord which was around $23-$24...so what can I reasonaby expect for this, before and after fees? Can I still expect $5000 off MSRP? Maybe $6000? haha i wish.

(Sorry if it's been discussed...didn't have the urge to sort through 487 posts!)

Thanks in advance!
    you should price this using a few online sites....carsdirect.com is what I used as that gives the lowest price and have a dealer contact you...all the ones that did gave me pricing below what carsdirect.com did and they gave me below invoice pricing...then just start making offers off of that price to different dealers and see what you come up with....i guess pricing depends also on location and demand but you have a huge advantage....the 07s are in for a few places and will be in for most places within the next few months so dealers are getting rid of them...if you want 6000 off msrp then ask for 6000 off and see what they say...the worse they can say is no and you're in the same position as before the offer...if they say yes, well, you got a car at 6000 below...

Dealer I bought mine at initially offerred a Barrents Blue 2.4i withe everything on it that is 30,000 msrp at 24,000 on the phone when I askd about a base model...when i went there to test drive it and before I settled on an auto, he dropped it down to 23,000....so yes, 6000 and in this case 7000 can be had...just depends on a lot of factors...good luck!
    My Buddy just bought an 2006 s40 as well. He's a bit more of a hard negotiator...2.4i, select pkg, metallic paint, auto, booster seats....18.998..wow ;)I guess you have to be at the right place at the right time. He said the dealer stressed that no one else would do this price. They happen to have had this unit on the lot for 135 days and were aching to get rid of it. This may be an one of kind deal.
    oh my, that is an unbelievable price....about 9-10,000 below sticker...i had the dealer offer me the base model at what i thought was an awesome price of 19400...

i wonder...i mean obviously all of us in this particular forum have an affection towards the s40 but i wonder how popular is this car really? particularly if a dealer has one siting for 135 days and willing to let it go at what i would think would be a significant loss? i'm driving around SF and in the week i've had this vehicle, i've only come across 1 other s40...and i pick up carpoolers for work and i've had it metioned twice already that he/she has never seen one of these before....not that i mind...part of the attraction for this car for me is the fact it isn't as common as my old honda civic...
    Thats part of my reason as well....I've had mine for a week and a half and I've seen 2 or 3. It was between the s40 and honda accord for me and to be honest i didn't want a car that 100 people in half mile radius have as well. Volvo doesn't advertise much and most of the public view Volvos as expensive vehicles up their with Audi and BMW. I think it's a car(S40) with european pedigree, class, and engineering but without a 35-40 thousand base price(if more people knew you could haggle yourself a 27,000 car for 21,000 don't cha think they would).
    Hi there, so I'm still close to getting this S40 T5...except I drove the Altima and kinda liked it too...it's a bit more roomy and that's big, considering i'm 6'1".

But even so, I told the Volvo guys my price ($24, which i don't expect them to say yes to). Of course they pressure me into thinking it's going to not be there by next week (bull).

after incentives and such they gave me an offer of around $27...juuust under $29 with all the fees and such...or almost the same as msrp.

i figure if i can get this car with all the fees for under $26,5 it's worth it. i figure $24 or $24,5 isn't too unrealistic for these people, right? they know where i stand and i even got an e-mail from a manager saying he understands i 'changed price ranges' and would like me to come in and 'talk'.

i'm not in a rush here, but i do want this car for a low as possible...so what's the best way to get it down to what i think is comparable to others??

$28,885 with tax and fees...I'd like it to be at most $26,500...but is it realistic to get it to $26? $25? what do you think?
    I don't know if I can help but it seemed like to me that T5's are as haggleable as 2.4i'. Is the msrp around 30-32 grand?? if so 6 thousand off msrp could be the most ...but who knows 24 thousand for a T5 would be nice although hard to get.
  • jkaojkao Member Posts: 4
    Hi i thought id like to help you guys out.
    Two months ago, i bought a brand new 2006 S40 t5 with premium package for 25,000 dollars. After everything, i also bought an extended warranty and ended up paying about 29.500 OTD with a extended warranty. The 25,000 dollar price was easily had, as i negotiated to that price after about three weeks of talking to different dealers. I was almost able to get an Audio packaged along with the Premium, but they could only do that with White. The color i got was metallic silver, and the MSRP was 31,655, so i successfully lowered it about 7,000. I live close in Orange County, and i bought it from Cerritos Power Volvo if you guys know where that is at.
    interesting...how much was the extended warranty if i may ask?
    the extended warranty extended the basic warranty to 100,000 miles over 8 years. It was about 1950, we bargained even on the warranty from about 2100 but not much was saved there.
    okay, well i went by the dealership again today...sticker price is 30...$31,055 after taxes and fees.

last week their initial offer was $27,6...juuuust under $29 with taxes and fees.

their offer today (after i told them i was interested in $24):

$27,417.41....$28,600 total.

why do these people they can still try and get a profit out of it?!?!? it's been there for months and it won't sell. i mentioned how other dealerships were offering up to $5000 and $6000 off msrp and his response was 'well maybe those were loaner cars.'

unbelievable. so then i say, okay well $26. his response:

'well if you take away some options, maybe the 2.4, but you can't go that low on this model (t5).'

sooooo...what do you guys think of this? they ain't bluffin...they seriously expect this car to sell for less than $3000 under sticker.

i guess ill be lookin at other cars now, or look around at other dealerships. ugh!
    Hey, what options do you want on the T5 and what color? What location are you in?
    NO way! should you pay that much for a t5. You should be able to get a T5 with premium package for around 26. If he wont even give you any options to the car, that is an absolute rip off. Most dealers were able to match 25,000 pretty easily here in southern california. I suggest you go to a different dealership because that guy seems like he doesn't want to make money.
    these guys seem to be under the impression that they need to make a profit on these cars...sounds like they're getting them at the cost of invoice.

anyway, it's black t5 with premium package (well at least it's got the beige leather, sunroof, and power front seat). nothing else really regarding upgrades...not 17's...wired with the sirius, but not installed...no climate package, no navigation system, no premium headlights, no 6-cd changer.

pretty much a base t5 with spoiler, the power sunroof, leather, and power front seat w/ memory (premium package i assume).

oh, and i'm in alabama. since i am a college student, i wonder if they just think i don't know anything about these cars...i've already contacted dealerships around where i am in school (in florida).
    I don't think he's bluffin....some dealers don't believe in the "get the unit off our lot at any cost" mentality. When I was shopping for my 2.4i I had located 2 cars at 2 diff dealers one @23500 and one @21060(the one I eventually leased) I told the dealer with the higher price that another had offered me 21060 and she said you'd better snap that one up because we ain't doing that. Her whole message was that her dealership would rather make profit than match a volvo with a young customer who more than likely will buy more volvos as the years pass on (that's not exactly what she said ,but that's what I heard. Her actual words were "to not sell it just for the sake of gettin it off the lot". So, I ended up gettin 5400 under msrp and about 2500 under invoice and a very happy experience. You just have to find a dealer who places a higher priority on cust. service than profit( the S40's are probably loss leaders and XC90's are where there real money is. (I'm probably wrong about that, who am I? )
    mrrk47's experience seems to be similar to mine. You just have to keep shopping dealers until you find the one that is willing to take the hit. I had to go all the way to Georgia from Texas b/c a dealer there was offering me monthly payments $50 less than the lowest TX dealer. Just keep searching and you'll find it.
    umshb, try out Volvo of Athens (Georgia), they are willing to sink very low to get your business by the end of the month.
    hey thanks for the suggestion! i called them and yes, the deal was a lot better...$25799 (before tax and fees) for the same model.

of course i wasn't sure of our state sales tax, haha...for some reason i thought it was 8%...turns out it's 3.5% for autos.

so thats just a little under $27...not bad. didn't sound like he could go much lower...like when i said $25 flat, no was the answer.

hmmmm...
    Wow, just got an e-mail quote from a place near San Francisco:

Color: Black w/Beige Leather
    Equipment: Base w/Auto Trans
    Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $ 30075
    McKevitt Online discount: $ 5091
    McKevitt Internet price*: $ 24984

niiiiice
  • skwirlskwirl Member Posts: 32
    Nice price! Was that for a T5 or a T5 AWD?
    regular t5, but they also got a bunch of awd's for not much more.

it's good if you live in the california area...would be about $1500-$2000 to ship here (unless i decide to drive it back here).

i'm going to check out atlanta dealerships tomorrow.
    Ah, very cool. I'm in the market for a 2006 S40 T5 as well. I live in the Seattle area and I'm heading up to my local dealer tommorrow morning. Wonder what price he'll quote me.
    Hmmmm ..how'd you think to contact Mckevitt Volvo, that's where I got my 2.4i....I live 15 minutes fromthe dealership...try to get them to knock 6 grand off....they did 5400 for me. I bet if you tell em you'll hop an plane right away if they do 24 flat , they'll do it .
    hey you may also want to try royal motors in SF...thats where I got mine and was able to better mckevitt's quote for mine by about 1000 (500 less for volvo and 500 more for trade in). If you want my contact over there, email me...
    Hey try and get it from southern cali. I was able to get T5's with preumium package for 25 flat. Tax, license, etc. and extended warranty to 100,000 miles for 29. The MSRP was 31655, but i got it for 25000! That was a 6655 discount!
    Hey maybe he should Olympus Mons Volvo on MARS, they'll probably give him the non-oxygen discount before he dies from lack of it...haha, everybody and their dog telling this guy to go to their Volvo dealer. Question has any ffigured out why our S40's gather so much brake dust on the rear wheels???
    I just got back from a dealer in Washington State.

They had a 2006 S40 T5 automatic with Climate, Premium, Audio, and Convenience packages for $28,500. Would not go lower.

Does this sound like a good deal? MSRP originally in the $33,000s.

I've called a few other places and some mentioned that if I had a costco card, I could get $400 over the invoice price. Worth it?
    Hey guys, whats a fair price for the extended warranty to 100,000 miles???

Thanks,
    don
    i just did a carsdirect.com quote for a seattle zip code (not sure where in wash u are) and for your config it comes back 29138 as the target price and invoice is 31288...take your quote and shop it around....
    well i got a quote for $27000 out the door (tax and fees included) from a place in ATL.

probably not the bet offer, but the best in the area. plus i havent seen this particular one in person.

but i drove the same exact one here in town, but got it for $1600 less.

oh well.
    Where did all the posts go?
  • cdnstachecdnstache Member Posts: 1
    I've test driven the S40 now on four occasions (2.4 and T5 both in automatic). I want to love this car, I really do, but the pedal positioning drives me crazy. My foot keeps on catching between the gas and the break. I've tried sandals, sneakers, and dress shoes (I'm only about a size 10.5 to 11). Heck the assistant sales manager at one dealership lent me one of his dress shoes to try to persuade me my shoes are big...how's that for service. ...oh and I shudder to think if I had winter boots on...baby you're going to need that traction control! Me thinks the designer of this car had feet like goldilocks...sadly this is a show stopper for me. (here's a hint to Volvo...get your tape measure out and compare your pedal distance with the S60...much better.) I have never experienced this problem with a car before. Heck even a Honda Civic has decent pedal room...too bad guys...an otherwise enjoyable car.
    ya...i've had it for bout 3 weeks now and i've got size 9 feet and i do notice if im not paying attention somewhat that i'll catch the edge of the brake...its not too annoying for me tho but i have to admit the thought has hit me of my foot getting stuck in between when i'm trying to emergency brake...wonder if i can sue volvo if that happens and i can't stop?

hahahaa...ya, i guess everyone got thier vovlos? i wonder if people are getting better deals? i love my 2.4 but i'm kind of regretting the auto...off the line pick up definately leaves a lot to be desired...but i sit in traffic when i'm driving so i guess off the line pick up doesn't matter 90% of time?
This discussion has been closed.