Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We had the same problem with our Mazda 3s with the rear disc brakes. The dealer changed the rear pads as per a TSB on grinding brakes...problem solved. The 3 and the 240 are pretty much the same with the frames off...same chasis and other major parts I've been told.
    Mention about a grinding noise in the rear brakes & see what they say. Worked for us...no more grinding or dirty rims.

The Sandman :):)
  • blue_s40blue_s40 Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on purchasing a 2007 S40 T5 with:
    Dynamic Trim Package
    Audio Package
    Metallic Paint (Brilliant Blue Metallic)

The MSRP is $32,450.
    Invoice is $30,309.

With these options, the car will have to be ordered.
    What would be a resonable price?

Thanks in advance.
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    Welcome to the menagerie of S40 nuts...In August of 2006 you'd be lucky to get that invoice...esp if you special order it from Ghent...why not a 2006 and get $5400 off MSRP. I asked the finance guy at the Volvo place what the diff was between my 2006 S40 2.4i and an identical 2007 model..he said "NO DEALS!" (which means no $5400 off MSRP like I got.) Do yourself a favor and save some bucks...get an 06' unless you just gotta have 07'.
    Hi suspendmix,

Earlier you said Royal dealer traded for your car...did they get it from Volvo of Pleasanton? If so I remember checking there inventory for a grey one with a 26460 msrp. It's def a higher reving engine so off the line isn't it's strong suit...,but I do enjoy open freeway driving and cornering...it's a really good handler..and for what we paid it's more car .....
  • suspendmixsuspendmix Member Posts: 43
    Yes! That was the one, its the flint grey s40 from pleasanton and ya, it drives much better on the freeway...hahhaa..definately more passing power than my previous civic =)

I'm still a bit bummed bout the off the line pick up and was looking at little tweaks for it but alas, the options I looked at would be ineffective (cold air intake - 10 HP gain at 4000 rpm) or expensive (chipping the CPU)...I think I'll get used to it but if not, I'll just wait for a s40 redesign and get a stick then!

Where did u pick up yours?
    I got mine at McKevitt in San Leandro. A silver met automatic. I had located 3 26460's in the east bay..sil , grey, bar blue. The blue one at Lawrence Volvo was a no go because they had to make at least $500 over invoice...(well they lost a sale) So I got my 1st choice (silver) which was at McKevitt.
    I really enjoy owning this car. The performance is right on par with the price and simply driving a Volvo comes with much piece of mind and even a little prestige.I personally don't feel out of place when a 3series pulls up next to me at a red light. Yes, the 3series does carry a little more clout ,but it should for the 12 grand more I would pay for one.
  • skwirlskwirl Member Posts: 32
    I've been gone for a few weeks. Enjoying my new s40 too much! :-)

So after talking to 5 dealerships around the Washington area, I ended up buying a 2006 S40 T5 FWD with the Premium and Climate packages in Barrents Blue on July 31st at 11PM.

MSRP was $32,230. We started at the invoice price of $30,429 and after the two incentives ($2750, didn't qualify for the extra $500 Volvo Finance) and some wiggling, dropped it down to $27,250 before tax, title, and licensing. So that's $4980 off MSRP. Not the best deal, but I thought it was pretty decent and the best I could find around here.
  • shlansbergshlansberg Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Did my husband and I have find a good deal on an '06 XC90 V8?

It's got the versitility pkg, climate pkg, touring pkg, navigation system, rear seat entertaiment system, moonroof, park assist, folding mirrors, heated seats, cd changer, wood steering wheel, ipod ready, leather etc -- every bell and whistle except the chrome wheels. We have a choice of silver with tan interior or peal white with black interior.

MSRP was $56 and change. Invoice was $51 and change. He offered it to us for $50,700 (plus tax and license). It seems like a good deal, but, I really am not sure.

Any thoughts? Thanks! Stephanie
    you might want t post on the xc90 forum as this is solely for s40...just type in xc90 in the search forums...nice suv btw...sat in one b4 test driving s40
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    2007 S40 T5 AWD (special order)
    silver metallic paint
    geartronic automatic transmission
    premium package
    audio package
    climate package
    bi-xenon lights
    dual booster cushions
    laminated windows
    interior air quality system
    front and rear parking assist
    front and rear mud flaps

...complete price on the purchase order $31,183.

Does that sound like a good price? :shades:
    not sure about the pricing tho checking it against carsdirect is a decent indicator...but just curious, they are offerring laminated windows again? That wasn't an option for the 06...is that factory installed option or can the dealer put it in? I'd really like to do it on my 06 s40 2.4i...ideas on cost?
    I'm looking at a special order on a 2007. The list price for laminated windows is $300.
  • blue_s40blue_s40 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a quote for everything I wanted in my previous post, plus Medea wheels.

$32,480. :)
  • buyer5buyer5 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any experiences purchasing in the Boston area?

Also seems like a lot of people are going with the T5, but can anyone share any pricing experiences on teh 2.4i? Thanks!
    I'm as much pro S40 as anyone else on this forum is but I have to be honest. If you have the funds to plunk down 31-32 grand for a volvo......look at the BMW 3series. I was barely able to pay 21060 for my 2006 2.4i and darn happy I did I might add. It kind of gets me that I here some of you waggle around and ask I 32,000 is good for a S40 T5 awd...my answer is no when that price puts you in 325xi range. I love my car and figure it's a great, great bargain considering a base 325 would go about 31 or 32 for me. I think 21000 thousand is a phenomenal price for a Swedish engineered, Belgium built sports sedan when identically equipped VW's are being built in freakin' Mexico.
    Did you guys know that the rear seat room in the s40 and xc90 is almost identical. just thought i'd throw that one out there .
    On a more serious note guys...I have a 7 yr old and a 13 mth old. Do you all think for children that age that an S40 will serve as an adeqaute FAM hauler for the next few years. I know I should post this on the ordinary S40 page , but it's too late and I don't feel like writing this over. BTW I have an CRV also
    My wife and I looked at a BMW 325xi similarly equipped as the Volvo. First, we didn't like it especially the set-up of the interior and more importantly, it was pushing $40K instead of just over $31K.
    Well okay, maybe the xi is pushing 40k. I know the base 325 is around that range...maybe not as eqipped but it's still a BMW....well in that case I know A4's are going for about 31k right now. My point is and mindset is to get the best car you can afford. The S40 is an awesome car for 21-24k, but not too awesome for 31-32k.
  • nottakennottaken Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an '06 demo T5 AWD with climate, premium, and geartronic. It had 9700 miles on it. Got it for $23,300, which I'm fairly confident was a great deal, but obviously not confident enough.
    GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! =) no need to 2nd guess
    Thanks for the reassurance. The whole process just hasn't been as smooth as I had hoped, so I keep wondering if I made a mistake. The Volvo buying part was easy, but the selling of my previous car has not been.
    What were they asking for originally for the car? It's a great deal any way you cut it , but if you haggled more off then it's really great. To basically get the top of the line model with a "few" miles on it for that price is great.
    They were originally asking $26,900++, so I haggled them down. After talking back and forth for awhile I finally said I'd do it if they could get me out the door, tax and everything, for $25,500. If I could do it again I'd try to get them to throw in tint.
  • mr_fanmr_fan Member Posts: 1
    There's two Volvo dealerships here in Sacramento. I've been dealing with one. I'm looking for a base S40 2.4i with Manual Trans (this is a must) and he offered me one for $19,995.

I refused to go in as I was showing strong interest in the body kit which I believe is $1400... no? I did a little bit of bending the truth. I told this dealership that the OTHER one is offering me the same price on one, but they're including the body kit.

He told me he'd match it but it would come unpainted.
    Does this sound like a good deal?
  • edrn867edrn867 Member Posts: 1
    I've been discussing with a dealer over an a 2006 white s40 2.4 w/ leather seats and an MSRP of $25,935.00. He said the lowest he can give it to me for is $21,860.00. Now after reading some of the posts on this board I feel it can much lower. Considering its September what is a good price for me to try and get?
    The invoice on that S40 would be about $21,500 (just leather not the premium package.) Considering that this is a 2006 already built and on the lot, I would think that you can get a little more off of that price depending on how bad the dealer wants to move it to get to the 2007 models.
    Wow! I thought I was cheap. I can't really blame you for trying to get them by the nuts, on second thought go for it! They are offering you 4075.00 off MSRP, I got 5400.00 off, that doesn't mean everyone can get it , heck I wanted 6,000 off because I read on here that someone else got it. I say keep trying for at least 5,000, but then you have to be able to see the writing on the wall and tell that he can't go any lower. Is it an auto?
    SOrry , you posted it was a manual trans...oops
  • snowcrash1snowcrash1 Member Posts: 11
    I'm thinking about purchasing S40, 2007 model costs more than 2006.
    Are there any differences ?
  • chrodchrod Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what is the best lease I can get on the 2006 S40, No money down on a 36 month. I will take the basic just want a low monthly.
    Also the same on the X90, a friend got $550 per month no money down, can I do better?
  • jay59jay59 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2206 s40 2,4I with auto, lthr,premium & climate for $5400 less than MSRP.....still wonder if I should have soent the xtra$ in the T5
    Wow, what NBA team did you sign with....2 volvos !!!(at the same time!)
  • radoncgsradoncgs Member Posts: 60
    I like the laminated windows and the dual booster cushions seats. However, I was told by my dealer that these are no longer offered for the 2007 S40 models. I am curious which dealer you are using. Thanks.
    When I contacted a stateside dealer, I was told the same thing. However, I placed a special order overseas and it is on my purchase order. I don't know where the difference is but will be sure to take a copy of my purchase order when I go to the factory in Sweden in November to pick it up to ensure that it has everything on it.
    dobrovod, are you doing the Overseas Delivery method? I having been looking into that and trying to figure out if it is worth it. If you wouldn't mind sharing, can you advise on how the pricing works with that? I'm just wondering if you found you are getting a better price by doing overseas delivery. It seems like there are a lot of people on here saying they are getting around 4-5000 off MSRP through US dealerships and the overseas program you get 8% off MSRP right? Sounds like a great experience and I was planning on being in Europe within the next few months but if I was saving a few 1000 by buying it in the US I'd probably just get it here. Do they give you any bartering room or do you basically just take the base price add all your features in and that is the price? Also, not sure if you have a trade in but I'm just wondering if they allow you to keep your car until you actually get delivery of the car (since it takes 5-6 wks, I'm in Boston) and then trade your car in when you get the Volvo?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For pricing information, go to www.flyvolvo.com - they do lots of overseas deliveries.

You get about 8% off the base MSRP and pay MSRP for your options. Volvo also throws in 2 tix to Sweden and one night's stay. You cannot negotiate a better price as the dealer gets a flat amount from Volvo for processing the order.

You typically can do better buying locally due to incentives unless you really want to take the trip to Europe. Also, you have to pay for your vehicle before you go and pick it up. So you'll be making payments on a vehicle you may not drive for a couple of months.

As for your trade, it's up to the dealer. Some might give you an amount today less an allowance for so many miles. Some might want it today. Some may not want to value it until you actually trade.

Good Luck.
    Thanks robr2. Seems like I'm probably better off getting it locally but thanks for the explaination!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Thanks robr2. Seems like I'm probably better off getting it locally but thanks for the explaination!

You're welcome.

My wife and I hope to do the Euro Delivery some day. It may not be cheaper but it's an incentive to go there.
  • samannasamanna Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in a 2007 S40 T5 and have located one with the Premium and Audio packages, Sirius radio, Bluetooth option, Sagitta wheels, and metallic paint. The MSRP is $34,160 and the dealer has given me a price of $ 29,796.00.
    Is this a good price for such a car purchased in California? This is a big investment for me and I want to be sure to get the best deal possible. I am willing to contact out of state dealers, as well. Thanks for the help!
  • carribboucarribbou Member Posts: 6
    That about 12.8% discount for '07...which is the same % off that what i was offered on a 2007 S40 2.4i in GA. Since these cars just came out, i'm not sure that you can expect any heavier discounts. Anyone else care to share?

Deeper reductions are obviously in the 2006 models. I am actually holding out for the best deal on an '07 (since it is a big investment, like you said). I used the figures from the FORD press releases to examine buying trends for the S40 this year and last. Here's what i gathered from the press releases:

Starting with Jan 2005, here are the #s of S40's sold each month:
    2089, 2126, 2166, 2111, 2215, 2185, 2061, 2287, 2239, 1872, 1479, 1424
    Now for this year:
    1952, 1821, 2356, 2100, 2027, 1988, 2054, 1912

If you compare overall sales through August, sales are "down" by 1000 cars this year. I'm not sure if this is enough to pressure dealers to move their 07 cars at lower prices. What do others think?
    If you plug these into Excel can see the trends by month, which i think is interesting. November and December were the slowest months last year. Now, will this translate into better deals then, that's my big question.
    This month there are the VOLVO--> Dealer rebates on the 2007's, so i don't know if the discounts will disappear when that rebate expires...

Do you have other dealers in your area that compete directly with the dealer you spoke with? If so, pricing other dealers in the general vicinity would be the easiest next step.
    Then mentioning the lower offer as a counter. Hope this helps. Remember, you are not the prisoner of the dealership, your feet can be your most powerful negotiating tool if you can't agree on a low price.

Anyone else shopping for an '07 S40?
  • eduardom3eduardom3 Member Posts: 1
    I got my girlfriend a Volvo S40 2.4 for $6300 under MSRP. White S40 with leather, sport and select packages. I got it from Warren Henry Volvo today, let me recommend you talk to Hank. They have 2 or 3 still left.
  • discovery218discovery218 Member Posts: 13
    I am new to this, so all comments are appreciated!! I am loooking for a 06 S40 2.4 automatic with select package in Mass. The MSRP is around $28,000 (destination charged included, only tax to be added). Can I get at least $5000 - $6000 off. Is that too greedy? :P
    At this point, you should expect at least $5500 off MSRP for an '06, that is if you can find one you want...Read what others have scored in previous posts.

Thru Oct 2nd, there were incentives for dealers ($3000) to sell remaining '06 stock, i dunno if this was extended through this month. In my dealer search., there were very few new '06s around; mostly loaner/program cars remaining.
    If i were you, i would expect at least $6000 off MSRP from an '06 and see what you can get. If you have multiple dealers, just call around!
    good luck and post what you get!
  • pook187pook187 Member Posts: 1
    Ed, I'm near Warren Henry. Would you mind sharing what you paid?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the info. Here is my first response from one dealership. They would knock off $6,000. They said they can only do that for a slightly used one. Carsdirect.com is about $4,500 off MSRP. But I think you still can bit Carsdirect for another $500 to $1,000. Does that sound right? :confuse:
    I meant they would NOT knock off $6,000!! :sick:
    Sorry, i guess my last message was misleading.
    I meant to say: "If i were you, i would call around to see what stock remains for '06s."

In my recent search, I had mixed luck getting any price quotes over the phone; it varies by dealership. Some dealerships will quote an "internet price" by email or even over the phone, but many just want to get you into the showroom for a traditional negotiation.

As far as getting $6000 off MSRP, you will have to "work" for this discount...Let me explain: I have yet to encounter a dealership that will quote a deeply discounted price to someone who's just phoning in an inquiry. There is almost no incentive for the dealer to offer the buyer a low-ball price right off the bat. VOLVO dealers aren't no-haggle dealerships.

Once you find an S40 you want at a dealership, call all the other dealers in the area and get price quotes on comparably equipped cars. Next, you'll have to visit the dealer that has the car you want and go in with a price in mind. Demand and availability are regionally based, so maybe $5500 off MSRP is a great price for your area...

But you can begin negotiations on the car's price by mentioning the offers from their competitors for a similarly equipped car. If a dealer wants your business, and thinks you are serious about buying; you can negotiate down. If they refuse to come down on price, walk out. Your feet can become your strongest negotiating ally. I have gotten lower price offers by phone after walking out of a dealer's negotiation. But i have time on my side since i'm not dying to get the car...i can wait.
  • pfizer00pfizer00 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready to purchase a S40 T5 but am not sure if I should consider the AWD. A friend drove a BMW 325 AWD and FWD and said that it was like night and day in terms of ride. Does anyone have comments about the differences in the AWD or FWD in the S40? I really want to make the right choice.

Also, these are my chosen option packags: premium; dynamic trim; climate; audio; metalic paint. If anyone has comments on these or thinks I need to consider other options, I would love the feedback on that too.

Thanks, "Almost an Owner"
  • bethhayes86bethhayes86 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everyone I am new at this so I wanted to ask for some opinions...Please Help!

I have been out test driving cars and I found the car I want
    2007 s40 T5 AWD
    Automatic
    Premium Pkg
    Climate Pkg w/ Bi-xenon
    Audio Pkg
    and Metallic Paint

The MSRP on this car is $35,917 and the invoice is $33,575 What do you guys think a good price would be?
    The prices I have been quoted seem WAY higher then everything I have read on here, like around $34,000. I dont think the dealers are taking me seriously, I am a college student..and a girl, so I think they just think I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing. And I live in Portland OR and there are only 2 Volvo dealerships in town, so I dont really have a lot of options.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.