Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pfizer00pfizer00 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just got a quote that I have not negotiated yet for the following:

$34,291 total but not including taxes, registration, conveyance fee

2007 Volvo S40 AWD
    T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Optional Equipment

-- Premium Package

-- Dynamic Trim Package

-- Audio Package

--Climate Package

--Metallic Paint

Color: Silver Metallic/Off-Black Leather

I was also quoted $31,368 for the same car but T5 only and not FWD.

Hope that helps!
    P.S. I am a woman too!
  • discovery218discovery218 Member Posts: 13
    I have no luck finding a 2006 S40 2.4i automactic, T-tec, select and climate pacakge. So I am moving on to 2007 with the same options. MSRP = $29,310. The first quote I got is $25,500 (tax and fee extra), about $4,000 of MSRP. I think that's pretty good in the New England area. Let's see if I can get them a little lower!!!!!
  • carribboucarribbou Member Posts: 6
    From reading the board, i think that $4000 off MSRP isn't bad at all for a new 2007. That's about 13% off msrp. When i was shopping for '07 2.4i AT base, i was offerred 12% off MSRP. Seems like that's the going rate with these '07's.

Do you know if the $4000 off contains a discount for using Volvo financing? And was the $4000 off a result of mentioning pricing to the "other" dealer? You may be able to get a sweeter deal by presenting the numbers to the "other" dealer. Plus, if you bring them the numbers and they say "No way!" --you know you have the best deal at the first dealership.

Best of luck. Let us all know how you fair.
  • bigdummy77bigdummy77 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at the same thing, and that seems like a good price. What does the Edmunds TMV show for your area? Seems like around here (NJ), they're going for around 500 below sticker.
    Edmunds TMV is showing around $28,300 for a 07 S40 2.4i autmatic, select and climate packages. Carsdirect is about $27,500. So the quote I got ($25,500) was really good and other dealers can't match it. The problem is they gave me really low on my trade in (2004 Honda element). The lowest I checked online is around $14,000 trade in value. They gave me $12,000 which is insulting!!! Not sure if it is because a Japanese trading at a Volvo dealership?? If I take my car to a Honda dealership, may be I'll get something closer. That's why I am starting to consider a Acura TSX. Lordy, doing it all over again :sick:!!
  • sackajackasackajacka Member Posts: 2
    We just got a black 2006 S40 T5 Auto with climate & bi-xenon headlamps and premium package with 7000 miles on it (demo) for $24,300 ($25,800 OTD) -- MSRP was $31,817, ended up paying about 76.5% of MSRP or ~$1 per mile off. I was originally looking at a 2.4 auto, no options (quoted $24,700 out the door -- $1100 less that what we ended up paying), but couldn't ignore the better engine, leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc. -- You may be able to find a demo vehicle mow if you don't mind a few miles on the car to start. Oh -- the warranty is still 4 years/50,000 miles, but the clock hasn't started yet -- still have 4 full years and ~43,000 miles -- be sure to ask about it if you look at a demo.
  • samannasamanna Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help! We went ahead and purchased the car after comparing prices with other out of state dealers. The big problem has been getting the car delivered to us via a transport company - we've been waiting over a week and still do not have the car! Needless to say, we're disappointed and ANGRY over this issue. Still hope we made the best deal on the car b/c the dealer certainly didn't come through with their choice in a transport company! Any advice on how to handle this delivery fiasco?
    I got a quote yesterday of $25,800, close to what you got but I'd still like to do better than that. Another dealer presented some 0% finance options, so I will have to weigh my options and keep looking.
    Alrighty, I almost gave up on the S40. Finally I got my S40 for $25,300 plus tax and fee today. The process went pretty smoothly. I belive it is a very good deal, $4,010 off MSRP for a 2007. Thanks everyone for their help!! I am one happy person with a car loan :confuse: ??
  • cstudentcstudent Member Posts: 3
    Are you sure about that? I also bought a demo, but they specifically told me that the clock started when it went it to service, and the Volvo warranty booklet also states that. If what you say is true, that would be huge! Did you get it writing or any way of proving that the warranty started when you bought it? I'd love to know because that would give me A LOT of peace of mind!
    Congratulations on the new wheels. Where are you located? Did you take advantage of the 0% financing Volvo is currently offering. It seems I can get the lower price (which includes $1,500 cash back) or the finance offer, but not both.
    Thanks! I think my price is too low to get the 0%. Well, when I bought it on Saturday, they didn't even mention 0% was an option. Plus I didn't see it anywhere. Did I miss something?
    It probably just depends on where you are. I think the 0% might only be for the NY, NJ and CT area. I've seen ads in the paper and on TV for it. I think it's 0% for 24 months, 1.9% for 25-36 months, 2.9% for 37-48 months, 3.9% for 49-60 months and 4.9% for 61-72 months.
  • sackajackasackajacka Member Posts: 2
    cstudent: It will depend on the particular car. Initially, the manager told me that the clock had started when the car was put into service. However, and this was after I had agreed to purchase the car, he told me that he had checked, and the warranty had not started yet, it would go into effect as of the date of my purchase. He indicated that it hadn't been reported to Volvo and used a term like "RNR?" as the step that starts the clock. If you were told that the warranty had been started, than likely it already had, but you could always call Volvo to confirm when the clock started ticking.
    Received another quote of 25,900 plus tax and fees. This includes automatic transmission, blue metallic paint, select package and climate package. This also includes 3.9% financing. Good? Or should I do better?
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    Do Volov and other Euro makes charge for the met paint because they use a better paint, ot they charge it just becuase they can???? I have a 06 S40 silver met, just wondering if it's special paint.....BTW I just had my S40 in for a oil change at the dealer and got a S60 loaner....wow now I know why I got the 40 instead..way better driver experience, sure the 60 is quicker, but handling, road feel, cockpit feel...just doesn't compare...at least to me anyway.
    go for it or waint until june when they have the real incentives on the 40's
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Do Volov and other Euro makes charge for the met paint because they use a better paint, ot they charge it just becuase they can?

I say the latter. VW does not charge for metallic paint.
  • volvo4lifevolvo4life Member Posts: 5
    My understanding is that there are two ways that dealers put demos "in service." It depends on which way they put it in service whether or not the warranty starts at that time. I have seen both. So you are probably both right. The Dealer would have explained it.
  • trchentrchen Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new 2006 S40 for my wife. It comes with select package, leather and auto transmission. Color is blue. Final price is $22300+tax+fee which is about $7310 off the MSRP price. Got it from Mckevitt volvo at San Leandro CA. Is it a good deal? :) :shades:
    This is a trick question , right?? We're you hoping for 7311.00 off msrp...that is a phenomenal deal....the best I've seen all year, I thought I was dealin' with my measly 5400.00 off msrp, my final price was 21060(I passed on the heated seats).I too bought at Mckevitt in July, guess they weren't this desparate yet..
    Wow, they must really be givin; them away now....I have a pal in SoCal who bought 06 S40 same package, leather , etc....10788 off msrp...he beat you buddy!
  • rana3rana3 Member Posts: 3
    i got an offer for a 2006 S40 volvo with select and climate package for $23,000 Any ideas if it's a good deal? Any dealership recommendations in the philadelphia or D.C area? thank you
  • cmingcming Member Posts: 7
    Hi, there. I was recently involved in an auto accident, and now I want to buy a car with high safety standard. I plan to buy a Volov S40 2.4i.

Anybody here recently bought 2007 S40 around Washington, DC area (esp. northern VA area). Which dealership is the best, and what price I can get. I sent out an online request to 3 dealerships (Don Byer in Fulls Church, Dulles, and Fairfax Volov), the response is lukewarm. Thanks very much.
  • fm8dcifm8dci Member Posts: 6
    I got a quote today from a dealer in the Philly suburbs for an S40i, automatic, no other options. He quoted $24.1K, do folks think this is a fair deal, any deals in the area they would reccomend?
    I got my 2007 S40 2.4 with auto., select and climate packages for around $4,300 off MSRP, but it's in New England area. I think you can find a better deal. Good luck!
    Thanks to all who post, good information. I freely admit made huge mistakes first car, better on the 2nd, hoping for even better results on 3rd. Based on posts, I am prepared to go in on the S40i (auto) with an offer of $22,200, which is about $4,000 off of MSRP, or 85% of MSRP. I am figuring this is not outrageously greedy from the posts. Any confirmation by folks is appreciated that I am being reasonable.
    One dealer in MD mentioned to me that there are two rebate programs: -Cash Back Rebates of $1,500 also incentives for
    college grads and first time buyers.
    -0% financing is available to well qualified buyers.
    Does your quote ($22,200) factored these incentives ?
    Thanks CMING for the reply. Yes, I didn't have a formula in mind including the cash back, but that was in my number. I haven't gotten a quote at this price, that is what I am preapred to offer $22.2K, plus tax, all in including the cash of $1,500. I had seen on Edmunds $500M cash for my area; but another dealer outside Philly gave me a quote including $1,500 of cash incentives. Deal or No Deal?
  • carribboucarribbou Member Posts: 6
    For reference, i just purchased a 2007 S40 2.4i AUTO, no options/frills for $23K (i live in Atlanta). When i was doing research on this forum last year, i found that ~12% off MSRP was pretty standard. I have found that pricing is dependent on a number of factors (region, time of year, inventory, week in month...).

My advice: Take the lowest offer you've received and "shop it around" with other dealers in the area. Give names/details when you quote the figure.
    You must have patience with this strategy, but in the end you'll know how low the cars are leaving the lots. I had two different dealers tell me that the low offer from their direct competitor was "an amazing deal" that i should take advantage of it. That made me confident that i had a pretty sweet deal for my market.

Good luck and have patience.
    I also purchased my volvo during the weekend. Here is the information: 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i Auto plus Metalic, price: $22900 + TTL. I think I get a pretty good deal, though not as good as fm8dci's 22200. :-) It is from the NoVA's largest dealer. Thanks Guys.
  • 6months6months Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase an automatic s40 with the select package+sirius & t-tec seating. The MSRP is 28,262. What would be a reasonable price to pay after negotiating? I've heard several people on here say that they were paying 12% below MSRP (that would be 24,800 or so). Is 12% a good range? What is the best time of the year/month to purchase also?
  • ndotymndotym Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my s40 black on black t-tec seathing, with select package from West side Volvo CA. off internet purchase, 3000 down total 23,500- 425. month and this is a keeper love the car..
  • ampipe21ampipe21 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at an s40 2.4 automatic with metallic paint, select package and leather in Florida. Any ideas what kind of price range I should be looking at? According to KBB, the msrp is 29.8K, what kind of purchase price (all taxes and fees included) should I expect?

Ampipe2
  • wyattadwyattad Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new 2005 S40 T5 with a six speed manual, premium package, and premium sound off the showroom floor of Paul Moak Volvo in Jackson, MS for $21,000.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    Recently? They still had '05 models left?

Was it used?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wyattadwyattad Member Posts: 3
    No, it was brand new with only 180 miles on it.
  • likalika Member Posts: 2
    What is the good price for 2006 Volvo S40 with 30000-35000 km milage? They all around $27.500-30.000 CAD. Is it a good price? How much gas this car will use per 50 km on the street(not highway) Does anyone know which dealler I should go in Toronto? Sorry for all those questions, I am new to this country, I dont know where to begin. Please someone help!
  • meiramielmeiramiel Member Posts: 3
    Just got an intial internet quote from a dealer in the bay area

2.4i,
    Titanium Grey with Beige/Quartz leather interior
    Select pkg,
    Automatic w/geartronic,
    Sirius satellite radio

$25,757.00 ($28,310.30 with tax, license, all fee's)

What do you guys think, how much lower will they go?
  • captaincrunchcaptaincrunch Member Posts: 18
    Okay - '07 S40 T5 AWD. Climate & BiXenon Headlamps Package, Premium Package, Audio Package, 17" SAGITTA Alloy Wheels, Sirius, Bluetooth and Wind Deflector (both to be installed) Black (non premium paint).

Price of vehicle: $30228.95

(I think I did well). Opinions?
  • radoncgsradoncgs Member Posts: 60
    Agree. Just wondering where are you buying this from?
    In Pa - what is a good price for a vehicle similarly equipped?
  • stephie1stephie1 Member Posts: 15
    Can you tell me what dealership you worked with to get this vehicle at your price? Seems like you got a great deal to me, I am pricing something very similar on Edmunds and it looks like the TMV was coming in at about $36k, maybe I am doing something differently and haven't caught it. Did you get an automatic? The only things I am adding which I didn't see listed on your summary is the Dynamic Trim Package. Anyway I'd love to know where you went so I can negotiate a similar deal...I am in upstate NY, so PA isn't far away and less chance of initial rust beginning underneath if I go to another state for my new vehicle I am thinking!
    I bought the manual, but that is nearly irrevelant.

Have you actually gone into a dealer and test drove an S40?
    Have you actually asked for a price from the dealer?
    Do you have a trade and have they test drove it and given you an estimate?

If you can answer yes to those questions, and you have not bought the S40, I can help you.

I'd rather not say the dealership where I bought the car - they stated that it was a bad deal for them. Let me say though that I did nothing out of the ordinary, just followed the techniques for purchasing a car. I can be of more help, but what's in it for me?
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have driven the S40 at a local dealer, and yes, I have asked for a price, they quoted me $37,245 and it didn't have all the features I wanted. I know this is WAY high, and it is a turn off for me to want to deal with them.

So did YOU have a trade in? Because that might be why you got such a great price, they low balled you on your trade in to build in their profit margin?

What do you mean, what's in it for you??? Seriously? I thought the purpose of this a site where people help each other and discuss things openly and freely? Seems like asking for the dealership is totally within the purpose of this forum thread... and that being helpful to others is something you would be interested in doing, but I guess not.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I'd say that the 'ole Captain is kidding with that remark. What would be the purpose of posting in here if not to help others while getting informative & humerous responses.

The Sandman :)
    'ole Captain is kidding.

I too was turned off by the first dealer I went to ... Long story, but the salesman wouldn't even show me the price of the car, and from his first quote, he at first jumped the price of my trade by $500 then when I told him what I had expected to pay a month, he quickly said, "If you can write me a check for $1000 today, I can match that." I was appalled, this guy just dropped $30 a month for 60 months in like 20 seconds. That's $1800 + interest!!!!! At the end of my negotiation, I completely smoked his offer though, and I have more options than I planned.

This is not rocket science how I approach this. After seeing him, I had an idea that I wanted the car and the exact options that I wanted. I also had an offer for my car. See, kbb and edmunds can give you a number, but you need to have a dealer pay that for the trade. So, I had a good idea what I could get for my car - if you don't have a trade - all the better! You only have to work one angle. I got what I wanted for my car though.

Anyway, go onto volvousa.com build your car exactly how you want it and get bids back. Go to several local dealers, keeping in mind the one you really want to do business with ... I had one guy tell me he'd beat any other offer by $500! The dealer I bought from made a mistake, they forgot to price in a $300 option (blue tooth). So, the first guy who tries to beat their offer gives me a price that's $500 better than the original dealers mistake. I take his offer, my original back to the dealer who made a mistake - said take it or leave it. On the Saturday before the last day of April. I am prepared to leave without a deal - or I can go back to the $500 guy.

In other words, I did some legwork. In the end, I got what I wanted for my trade, and you saw the price of the vehicle with the options.

You must be willing to get up and leave.
    Thanks guys! I'm glad he was kidding..I'm so stressed out with this car thing. I wish we could just buy cars from the manufacturers with no middle man to take such advantage. It seems criminal that the government allows these car dealerships to be so secretive and get to steal thousands from customers with no regulation. I would love to blow the whole thing open and finally put a lid on the corruption of it all.

Anyway, that said (haa) I am wondering, is it best to first negotiate a decent price on a new car and only then mention that I have a trade in? Otherwise, wouldn't they be apt to quote me a lower new car price, but screw me on my trade in quote? (I have a 1999 Lexus RX300 with 50k miles)
    It is two separate negotiations really.

1) The price of the car you are buying.
    2) The amount of money they will give you for your trade.

I prefer to work on the price of the car I am buying. I ask them to assume we will work out my trade. It's two confusing if you combine the two.

So after I get the price of the car as low as I possibly think I can, I work on the trade. Going in, I typically have an idea (via Edmunds and kbb) on what I can get for my trade. Another good way is to go get it appraised by a dealer who you are not really negotiating with - you can perhaps can a more realistic appraisal. When you walk into a dealership and you present a hardline on price of the car - watch how quickly the value of the trade drops! It's amazing. Don't be surprised by it though and just let them know you have already been offered x amount for your car - why would you accept thousands less?

This deal on my volvo came down to $500 on my trade. I would have walked for that $500 - it's all that separated us. Stand Tall! Go at the end of the month - they are more desperate - show up on the 29th - ready to buy by the 31st.
  • srn3srn3 Member Posts: 20
    I started shopping around for a 2007 2.4i Ice White with no frills.. the MSRP on www.volvocars.us is 24,935. I am located in the tristate region (NY,NJ,CT).. the dealer said he can match the $400 cash to customer rebate which would mean $800 off MSRP... I found that pretty lame... To top that off the dealer (Palisades Volvo in Rockland County) was low balling my trade in.. offering me 2k less than what my trade was worth on KBB... does anybody know what I should expect as an offer for a 2.4i Ice White with no frills..i noticed the the norm is usually 12% of MSRP which would make 22k a reasonable offer. Does anybody know of any good dealers here in the tristate area?

Thanks a lot for the help..
This discussion has been closed.