Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jessreds40jessreds40 Member Posts: 21
    Test drove 2007 RED S40 2.4i yesterday with MC922 Select Package, AT5 Geartronic 5-speed automatic Trans, Black Leater Seatings, MC930 Climate Package, Sirius Sat Radio.
    Priced just over 30k. TMV states the average price others are paying @ $26,618. How can I negotiate this with the dealer? I am a first time auto buyer. My dad purchased my first car. I am female.. so I just know they will try and take advantage of me. But I intend to be very educated. I will be taking 2 paid in full autos : 2003 Chevy 3500 Express Cargo Van with high mileage (260k mi) and 1996 Cavalier with low mileage (67k mi). I need some negotiating tips! THANKS!!!!

:confuse:
  • Options
    captaincrunchcaptaincrunch Member Posts: 18
    You should be able to get this vehicle around $25 or maybe even $24k.

Read my post #620

Post if you've got specific questions. Keep it Simple!
  • Options
    Well I did not negotiate the price. Basically went to test drive (because I've wanted one for 3 years.. only now able to afford it) and ended up letting them know how much I was wanting to spend monthly (400-454). I guess I got too excited. Then he asked me about trades..
    So I guess I've flubbed this up already? :cry:
  • Options
    only if you bought it!

it's actually none of their business about what you want to spend a month. That is working the problem upside down when you indicate that information.
  • Options
    I knew I mess up. I'll just have to fix it.
    What is a dealer incentive. I researched that volvo is giving a dealer incentive of $2250. Is that their profit?
    What is the norm that a dealer makes from a sale? :confuse:
  • Options
    you have not messed up unless you bought the car.

Have you bought the car?

Have you built the car here on edmunds and gotten the invoice value? forget MSRP, your going to negotiate down from invoice.
  • Options
    Not yet. Taking trades in on Sat to "Do the deal" (their dealership moto).
    Yes I built it on edmunds: Invoice $28,199; TMV $26,618.
    The sticker is around $30,500 which I understand is MSRP.
    So when I go on Saturday I start negotiating down from invoice. I am afraid they are going to look at me like I'm stupid. I really appreciate your help on this!
    :D
  • Options
    wyattadwyattad Member Posts: 3
    You might want to check into volvo's OSD (overseas delivery program). http://new.volvocars.com/enewsletter/07/summer/m_yourvolvo.html Right now they are running some great deals. You basically get select package, metallic paint, auto trans and climate package for $23,000. Granted you do have to wait for the car to come back, about 6-8 weeks, but you do get 2 free roundtrip tickets to pick your car up and one night hotel stay. There are vacation packages you can also add. I hear University Volvo really knows what they are doing when it comes to OSD.

Just for futher information Autobahn Volvo in Fort Worth is running any S40 2.4i on the lot for $24,500.
  • Options
    I think your plan is a bad one - one that will result in a bad deal for you. I would not go to any dealership with two cars looking to close the deal. Forget that.

Build your car on volvo.com - send the built car to about 3 dealerships other than the one you are buying from. Let them respond with a price. Obtain the lowest price and take that with you on Saturday. The only issue you have is that you need an appraisal of value by a dealership for the trades. You might want to do that with an Acura or Audi dealership. It will give you a point of reference.

Armed with the true value of your trades and with a quote from another dealership or two (online) you will be prepared on Saturday to get the best possible deal. Which I believe will be a few thousand under invoice.

Ask if you've got questions, but I believe you've got some work ahead of you. Remember this is non-emotional - it's a car. You've got two - so you don't need one - you'd like one. Even if that is a bit of a fib - that's your mental position. Think - EYE OF THE TIGER! They want your money - well it's yours and you should KEEP IT.
  • Options
    Something was telling exactly what you just messaged but my overwhelming want for the car was blinding me. :shades: You are so right. I just sent a quote out to a Knoxville TN dealer and plan on sending one to a Kingsport TN dealer. The dealer I visited in is Bristol TN; it being the closest at 2 hrs away. The other two being 3hr and 4 hr away. I am willing to drive to save a few thousand. Hopefully the other two will resport asap. I may have to call them personally.
  • Options
    GOOD!

Hey here's even better news. You are not going to have to drive a few hours. If the dealer close to you has any sense. If you walk in there with a quote on a vehicle that is 3 thousand less than what he is willing to sell it to you for - why would you buy from him? Makes no sense whatsoever. You aren't asking for anything unreasonable, just true market value. Now the dealers that are 3 and 4 hours away don't know that you are using them - and don't tell them! If by chance it works out that you have to go 4 hours away to save the money, then you will. But secretly we want to do the deal with the most convenient dealer. We'll get the best of all worlds!
  • Options
    Knoxville dealer has the same car with same bells and whistles on sale for $27,107-- (a 3k savings!)..HOWEVER it's NOT red. It's Metallic Silver. How can I pass this up. But, I want the Red. I am hoping I can get this quote in writing fax to me so I can have to present Saturday at my dealer of choice. Do you think they will match the price? I think they should.. the red doesn't even have metallic paint. The Knoxville dealer has red ones but without the bells and whistles :confuse: .
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what the dealer of your choice says. You've got the quote from Knoxville. What did the third dealer say? If there isn't a third dealer simply tell your dealer on Saturday that you'd like to do business with him, you'd like the red better anyway, but that you can't in good conscience just pay more for the car. I mean anyone can see that - it's just common sense.

If you get a third dealer in the mix - you may get the price even lower before you go on Saturday. Where are you getting the money - do you have your own financing? It makes it easier if you do, but not essential. And don't forget you need quotes on the value of your trades! Get crackin'!
  • Options
    It's ****crunch**** time capt crunch! *lol*
    I printed out the Trade in values from edmonds will that do?
    I don't think I have time to get in person trade values since most major dealers are an hour away. I mentioned the trades after the 2nd dealer quoted me the 27k price. He was pleased with my 1996 Chev Cavalier having only 67k miles on it but was hesitant when I mentioned the 2003 Chevy 3500 Express Cargo Van with 262k miles on it. He felt we would do better selling it on our own but we live in such a small rural area I don't think it will happen. We really want rid of it. Therefore I am afraid what Dealer #1 will say about it. *sigh*... so stressfull. We even put it in the local bargain finder (with no calls).
  • Options
    I wonder what Volvo Credit's rates are. I emailed Dealer #1 to ask. Is the rate based on credit? I can get local bank financing but unsure of the amount needed. What do you suggest? I am to be at the dealer at noon and the bank closes at noon. WWYD?
  • Options
    Got my :) 2007 Passion Red Volvo on Saturday. Took me 3 hrs to leave the dealership. They worked with me well and gave us fair trade in for our two autos. They gave me slightly higher than what edmunds.com showed so I was pleased. I got the price down to where I wanted it. However my monthly payment was increased because I purchased extended warranty (72mo/100k miles). Overall I am please and estatic with my purchase. I love it! Just got through washing and polishing it this evening. My neighbors eyeballed it as they went by my drive!! The dealership took my picture with it while holding a Volvo For Life banner! They are suppose to email it to me! Thank you to CaptiainCrunch for all your advice and encouragement. I was focused and we done the deal!
    Hope to have bragging photos up soon.
  • Options
    Awesome!!!! What are the specs? Congratulations and enjoy! Passion Red - Fantastic!
  • Options
    Specs:
    2007 Passion Red Volov S40 2.4i
    Select Package- Black Leather Seats and Enterior; Sunroof; Prem Sound System with 6 cd disk changer (has sirus radio); 5 Cylinder Geartronic Automatic!
    Had only 70 miles when I drove it off the lot.
  • Options
    elite1elite1 Member Posts: 3
    All advice and help wanted!!

I am going to Lease a 2007 Volvo S40 here in Atlanta.

Here are the numbers I got. Are they good or bad? Are they negotiable?

Here you go:

Option 1: S40 (Auto, Leather, Pwr Driver Seat, metallic silver) sticker around $27,600:

$0 Down, $380 a month (tax included), 36 month lease/ 12,000 miles OR
    $1,000 Down, $350 a month (tax included), 36 month lease/12,000 miles

Option 2: S40 (Auto, leather, sport pkg, prem audio pkg, sunrf, blk) Sticker around $30,080

$0 Down, $385 a month (tax included), 48 month lease/ 12,000 miles

Option 3: S40 (Auto, T-Tec, sunrf, red) Sticker around $28,700

$1500 Down, $399 a month (tax included), 36 month lease/ 12,000 miles
    $0 Down, $380 a month (tax included), 48 month lease/ 12,000 miles

What has everybody else got on their lease? Thank you for your help in advance.
  • Options
    elite1elite1 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, I just noticed there was a special thread for leasing. I am sorry. Ignore the above.
  • Options
    oasispirateoasispirate Member Posts: 5
    First car buying experience where I am the negotiator. The dealer's initial quote on 2007 Volvo S40 2.4 Titanium Grey w/Beige T Tech.

Automatic Trans
    Met Paint
    Climate Package (which I don't really want, but this is the most basic model has found that can get at the moment)

The MSRP is 27,335. He is giving me a quote of 24,860 and out the door with Taxes and tags 25972.00.

I was thinking of a countering with a offer of 23000.00 and not going any higher than 23500. Is this reasonable?
  • Options
    Your thinking along the right lines - well sort of.

What are you basing your 23000 off of though? What facts do you have? What if you could really get the car for 22000? First off, try to slow down! I know you really want the car, but relax.

Look back at my previous posts in this forum and build the same car and request quotes from nearby dealers (other than this one). See what they respond with. That gives you real, live ammo!

Then you know what the market value of the car is ...

Make sense? Keep posting any questions - I will help
  • Options
    I made a offer of 23500 today out the door. The dealer said I was way off. Maybe I'll just get quotes from other dealers, ball is in his court though.

Anyone buy a similar vehicle what did you pay for?
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Well...this probably doesn't help too much since we leased and there are huge finance incentives for leases...but our cap cost on a T5 w/ Premium was about $22,000 and that included a $595 bank fee that I don't think applies for purchases.
  • Options
    Well boy did this deal just change. I got another dealer involved and told the original dealer I was going to go with the other. I genuinely was going to. They had a loaner that had a MSRP of 31,000 and 7500 miles on it. They were going to give it to me for 25800.

The other dealer just countered with a 2007 Volvo S40 2.4, Automatic, leather, Climate pkg, and Select package, etc/

So now I am getting a vehicle with a MSRP of 29 or 30k for 25200.00

I am happy with the deal, hopefully get the vehicle on monday.

My advice to everyone is to listen ot these posters, they know what they are talking about. I think it's ironic that I am right at 4k off MSRP.
  • Options
    So wow, the vehicle was suppose to get here on Mon or Tues and it never did. Now the guy is telling me he didn't offer me the Select package (which I call BS on). That was the closing aspect of the deal.

I am done with him as a dealer and maybe the S40 as well!
  • Options
    miamibrianmiamibrian Member Posts: 3
    I am being offered a new 2008 s40 2.4i, metallic silver, automatic for $21,300 + taxes.

I was told there are $4500 in factory incentives now.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Just drove home a '07 T5 FWD with premium, audio, and climate pkgs, plus xenon, sirius, and keyless. MSRP $34,812, reduced to $26,600 by leasing with US Bank for 3 years @ $460/month. Electric Silver Metallic, slightly darker than the regular silver.

-Brian
  • Options
    You guys are destroying the deals I am getting offered I think. What do you guys think I should be paying for 2007 Volvo 2.4 with Select, Climate, and Titanium Grey.

I have completely given up on this volvo dealer, the closest other dealer is a hour and a half way, so I am wondering if thats why he isn't as willing to deal it seems.

I think I might wait till I move to Raleigh next month to begin car shopping again, more competition there.
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Personally, if they are screwing with you, you would probably be better off emailing the other dealerships....even if it's 90 mins away. Just get the deal negotiated and on paper and sent to you before you go. Then you just have to get there and sign. And...like I posted earlier, you can see that we got a 2007 s40 T5 with Premium (which I think has a higher MSRP than the config you want) for $350/month (including tax) on a 36mo/15k mile lease. Upfront cost was $600ish for 1st month, registration, $45 doc fee, and tax.
  • Options
    mfwmfw Member Posts: 14
    Sorry, I don't know what is the right price. But let's start a new topic with more detail on the spec, and leave the TTL out since it is different for every state.

2007 S40 2.4i
    Base : $24,240
    styling : $1675 (leather seat)
    Select pkg : $1823
    Sport pkg : $875
    Delivery : $745
    -------------------------
    Total MSRP : 29358

What should be a reasonable price (before TTL)? $23000? $22500? I don't think it should be more than that.

Let me share a little bit of my S60 buying experience. The exact spec is a little vague now. But, it was a 2006 S60 (purchased in march 2006 in Texas) With premium package, sport package, I think MSRP was in the 35 to 36k range. Final price was $28,800 + TTL. = $31k plus change. At the time the premium package was a factor incentive, so maybe without the incentive one should expect to pay $1500 more? The point is that Volvo dealers seem to have a lot of room for haggle.
  • Options
    sky_for_funsky_for_fun Member Posts: 1
    Okay, so I'm in the market for a new 2007 S40. I went to the dealership yesterday to test drive one. I was going for a 2008 but then the dealer told me that the new 2008 S40 T5 didn't come in a manual! How stupid! So he started telling me that IF I could find a 2007 they'd give me a better price for it because they would want rid of it.
    I am wondering what I should pay for a NEW 2007 S40 T5 AWD, loaded up, I mean EVERYTHING navi and all! It seems the MSRP is around $36,000.
    Thanks for any replies!
  • Options
    Post #611

Okay - '07 S40 T5 AWD. Climate & BiXenon Headlamps Package, Premium Package, Audio Package, 17" SAGITTA Alloy Wheels, Sirius, Bluetooth and Wind Deflector (both to be installed) Black (non premium paint).

Price of vehicle: $30228.95

(I think I did well). Opinions?
  • Options
    I would think you did pretty well. What is the total MSRP? and I am assuming $30228.95 is before TTL?
    Did the sale person mention any factory rebate? Thank you.
    mfw
  • Options
    TTL - is that Tax, Tags and L?

Anyway 30228.95 is what I paid after rebates. Take my trade in, subtract that from 30228.95, and pay tax on the difference. Tags I transferred. Not sure what L is.

No additional rebates, I don't recall the MSRP - you can get that by building a similar vehicle on volvo.com if you really need to ...
  • Options
    Thanks.

TTL is tax, title and license.
    By "30228.95 is what I paid after rebates", you mean the dealer discount? I don't see any official rebates from Volvo. All the "offers" are on lease, not purchase.

mfw
  • Options
    I bought the car in April so you can't compare current offers. My price is a bottom line price - it's what I paid in April: for those options and that car I paid $30228.95
  • Options
    ross123ross123 Member Posts: 1
    Got quoted 2007 volvo s40 2.4i with
    select package
    auto transmission
    leather
    sirius radio
    climate package
    $24,900 + tax, license

MSRP is $30,300

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    Do you have any other dealer's offers to compare this to?
  • Options
    I was told by a salesman that there should be new incentives on the S40's starting October 1st. Sales of the 2008's have been dismal and he is expecting some kind of incentive. Since there are only about $500 in incentives now, he advised to wait until October 1st.
  • Options
    panxd01panxd01 Member Posts: 4
    Ok, I went to a dealer today and test drive an 07 S40. The car is good given it's the entry level of Volvo sedan. But I was hoping to get a good deal on this. However, the dealer wanted to rip me off and thought I was a dumb in car purchase.

2007 s40 2.4i w/
    select package
    auto transmission
    sport package
    body styling package
    sirius radio
    MSRP: $30,355
    Invoice: 28,870

I asked for $24000 for the car. But the dealer won't go below $26500. Did I ask for too much for the car? Anybody recently purchased a 07 s40?
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Saw a new '08 model today and really liked the tweaks they did to the front and rear facias. Bet the price has actually gone up though. Doubt that one could buy a base auto 2.4 for $21,000. Maybe a leftover '07 maybe.
    Any thoughts?

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    I snoozed on the hot deal of $21,400 as I had to travel out of the country. When I returned the incentives were no longer available. The best I have gotten now for the same specs (2008, 2.5i, automatic, metallic silver) is $23,400.

I can get a 2007, same specs for approx $22,000.
  • Options
    jon70jon70 Member Posts: 1
    The wife and I are looking at the following car and trying to determine what the fair market price is for the next 45 to 60 days, if this is possible:
    S40, T5,
    Passion Red
    Premium Package
    Climate Package
    BLISS

MSRP is 32980 (I believe)
    I have enjoyed reading the posts on edmunds and I am hoping you folks can help me.
  • Options
    lem629lem629 Member Posts: 1
    I have found a used '07 S40 2.4i at a local dealer. It has 8500 miles on it, auto transmission, sunroof, silver exterior, black cloth interior. It is a former rental. According to carfax, no problems. It's been on the dealer lot for about two months. The asking price is $19,995. This seems like an excellent price to me based on what I've seen at other lots and at carmax (maybe too good???), perhaps because it's been on the lot for two months and it's a former rental. (I don't have a problem with buying a former rental.) Thoughts? Is this as a good a deal as I think? Would it be reasonable of me to offer $17,000? Or would they consider that too low to even bother with me, considering the price is already rather low? (I'm hoping to get it for $18000.)

Thank you for any insights you care to share!
  • Options
    ndotymndotym Member Posts: 7
    I went thru the internet dept I paid out the door 24,500 with select package minus sirus... black and t tec off black.
  • Options
    fiorenzafiorenza Member Posts: 2
    For the last month or so I've been out bottom fishing for a 2007 S40 2.4i hoping to get a good deal. I wanted the leather, premium package and auto transmission. Finally made a deal last night, but looking over this forum, I'm feeling a little iffy on whether I got a good deal. :confuse:

Here are the specs:

2007 2.4i w/ auto/geartronic trans
    Ice White (non-prem) paint
    Premium Package
    Leather
    MSRP: $29,360

Part of the deal was free maintenance for 30,000 miles (this includes oil chages, alignments, etc). Supposedly this incentive was worth $822. I'm kicking myself for not having made them throw in free tint as well.

Out the door price (TTL, everything) was $25,943.

Opinions on this deal?
  • Options
    jim99000jim99000 Member Posts: 11
    fiorenza,

That seems like a pretty good deal but it's difficult to tell if you include TTL because every state is different in that regard. Could you please provide the price before TTL for comparison?

Also, did you get the sense that dealers were more willing than usual to make a deal to move some cars? The Volvo manufacturer-to-customer rebate isn't that high right now but I'm wondering if dealers have some secret Volvo cash to play with because sales reportedly are down.
  • Options
    fiorenzafiorenza Member Posts: 2
    Price before TTL, dealer fees, etc, was $23,820. Really didn't sense a whole lot of motivation to move the '07's which is surprising given that it's the end of the year. I went to a few other dealers prior to this one & they refused to do anything more than knock $2500 off invoice. I got about $3700 below invoice...

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Options
    panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I just picked up a 2006 S40 for my daughter, silver (metallic paint), automatic and leather with 30000 miles on it for $17500+++

There were four in town with about the same miles and specs, ie no roof, no premium etc. Two dealers would not take this deal and two would. We took the silver one. Asking prices ranged from $19000 to $20000. Nice car. Not an especially good deal, but fair, considering the car has over two years factory warrantee left and is absolutely spotless. I spent far too much time over the past month shopping for it. Almost went with a Saab 93, but glad I went for this one instead. I drove a few pretty loose 2-year old Saabs, but all of the Volvos were solid and drove about the same.
This discussion has been closed.