Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

18910111214»

Comments

• macdianmacdian Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

So, I think I have a deal on my hands that I should do, regardless of whether or not my wife really wants the car - a 2005 S40 2.4i, base model, no options but "replica" 2.5T wheels...black, 37,000 miles (60,000kms) for $13K Cdn (about the same in USD right now).

It's a friend's lease buyout - they take immaculate care of their cars, but want a benz now.

Anyone concur?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If your wife doesn't want the car, it won't be a good deal, even if they give it to you... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• macdianmacdian Member Posts: 3
    That's so true...ironically, she wants a Mazda3...which of course shares the same platform. I'm pretty sure I can wear her down...if not, we'll just sell it, likely for more than we paid :)
  • amrivlinamrivlin Member Posts: 1
    April 07 S40 2.4i, 8100 Miles. Base Model with these upgrades: 17" Alloy Wheels, Moon Roof, Premium Audio. Metalic Silver with Black Tec interior. Was their Loaner last year. MSRP $27630

Listed at $21250, I offered $18500, got worn out and
    Closed Deal at $19900 (Total 21518)

MAJOR OMISSIONS: Trip Computer (I am hoping to have this installed, I found the parts for 100, but wonder what Volvo will charge to program the computer)

Minor Omission: Power Seats

Anyone have thoughts?
  • fogarty19fogarty19 Member Posts: 7
    Carman, or whoever may be able to help,
    I'm looking to lease a car and i'm thinking about leasing a 2008 volvo s40 T5. I was wondering if anyone knows the current incentives/rebates that Volvo is offering. Also does anyone know what the current residual rate/money factor would be for a 24 month lease at 12,000 miles? The MSRP on the model i want is $33,900. Edmunds.com says i should pay around $31, 052 for that. Does that include any rebates volvo will offer, or is that the number i should aim to get them down to prior to including any rebates on top?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • jim99000jim99000 Member Posts: 11
    fogarty,

You should get them to sell/lease you the car at the invoice price minus the incentives, give or take a couple of hundred. I just negotiated an "invoice minus incentives" lease deal on a T5 - the dealer readily agreed. My T5 had no options and the capitalized cost was less than $22k after incentives.

Use Edmunds's invoice number for the specific model and options you want. Then subtract the current incentives of $1500 if you're buying it or $6000 if you're leasing it ($7,000 if its an AWD version). The incentives are given to the dealer but should be passed along to you. These specific incentives were from the program in effect a couple of weeks ago - the program is expiring soon (if it hasn't already) but it undoubtedly will be renewed or go up a little bit. Ask your dealer to tell you the current numbers - it shouldn't be a secret.

The Edmunds true market value price is just a general guide as to what some people are paying - I'm not sure whether it's an average including people who blindly pay sticker price or not, but in any event it usually is overstated except on cars that are in very high demand. Use invoice price as your guide, and then subtract the incentives.
    thanks for the advice. I talked with the dealer and got him down a little. The MSRP is 33,000. They dropped it to 31,000 (invoice is 30,800). Then they took off the $6000 incentive so it comes down to 25,000 (but you have to have $995 in volvo/bank fees so the Net Cap is 25995). As for a net cap i think that is a very good deal. However, to get the $6000 off i have to go through volvo's outside lender who screws me with the residual and the money factor. the residual rate is 43% and the money factor is .00202 (or 4.92%). when you calculate it out, at $0 down, it comes to about $408 a month pre-tax and 429 with 5% sales tax (MA) for a 36 month lease at 12,000 miles.

MSRP- 33,014 x .43= 14196
    25995 - 14196= 11, 798
    11, 798/36= 327.95
    25995 + 14196= 40191 x .00202= 81

327 + 81= 408

408 x .05 = 20 in tax a month

408 + 20= 429 a month with tax with $0 money down

this seems like a decent deal to me, any opinions?
    fogarty,

Why do you think the outside lender screwed you on the residual value and money factor? I never asked about Volvo's residual/money factor compared to outside banks - do you know what the Volvo numbers were?

Your deal is similar to mine. I would have insisted on an invoice deal but the extra couple of hundred bucks is minimal. My cap cost was less b/c I took less options ($21958). My money factor was .00168 and residual was .44 on a 36 month lease with 12K miles a year, so I guess the money factor was the only real semi-significant difference.

I'm paying $305/mo with payment of bank fees and state sales tax upfront in my state.
    according to the guy who runs this forum (car man ) volvo Finance's current lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2008 S40 T5 AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00099 and 52%. That's why i was saying they screwed me on the residual, but if you go through Volvo finance then you dont get the $6,000 off. so in the end it pretty much comes out the same either way.
  • jb911jb911 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the current lease deals or incentives available for 2007 s40? My local Volvo dealership has 9 in stock and I'm sure they are very willing to get rid of them. My ideal lease would be 36 months at 12,000 miles per year. What would be the money factor and residual? Are there any manufacturer incentives available?

Thanks,

Jeff
  • mooleymooley Member Posts: 2
    I was looking at buying a used 2000,2001 s40. Can anybody tell me if they are reliable cars. any pro or cons. Thanks for your input.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Wife would've bought the S40, but the rear head rests were to high and compromised the rear view out the rear window, so she got the exact same car with the Mazda 3...same body just with a larger engine, different front and rear facia and more safety features for mucho $.
    I did recently price one out here in South Florida for me actually and I could get an auto base unit for close to $23k. Still mulling this over but with the ever rising gas prices and the fact that my beloved Civic gets excellent mileage plus that my oldest is in the market for a car, I've put this idea on hold for the forseeable future.
    One day perhaps!

The Sandman :)
    jb911,

2007? My area's 2007 S40's were gone by August of last year. I'm surprised your dealer has any left, much less 9.

If a 2008, not sure on the money factor and residual but the current manufacturer-to-dealer incentives for both a lease and a buy are $1500. As of 4/1/08, Volvo greatly reduced the $5000 and $6000 lease incentives that it had been offering.
  • s60leasers60leaser Member Posts: 61
    Hello there Carman and everyone
    Any numbers for the S40 in the CT-NY-NJ tri state area for an S40? The S40 seems to be a great compromise from the higher priced S80(an excellent car!) without sacrificing safety.
    May lease or buy, depending on the numbers.
    Likely 3 yr/36-45 miles very few options,2.4i unless the incentives etc make the AWD model a better deal. No leather, no climate...
    Happy 4th of July to all!
  • franbofranbo Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I am currently shopping for a car (no rush). I am pretty set into a certified pre-owned car to avoid the initial depreciation hit. I have looked at Acura, BMW and Audi. Recently I took the chance to look into Volvo S40 and I was surprised to see that my closest dealer has a few certified pre-owned 2006 models in the 30000 mile range that they are mark as 20000 $ give or take. This prices look relatively cheap to me so I was wondering if 2006 was a bad year or there is any advice you could give to someone like me that it is not that versed in cars.

Thanks!
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    I own a 2006 S40 T5 AWD and I am very satisfied after 43,000 miles. Highway milage is 30+ and town around 20. No problems with rattles etc or repairs. Did have a problem with the passenger side power windows and door loocks not operating but it seems to have been fixed under warrantee.
    All the models you are considering will cost more than average for service and repairs IMO.
  • dac321xmdac321xm Member Posts: 1
    I actually wrote a review on a used S40 which had high mileage. Check it out if anyone is trying to decide if they want an 01-02 version. link title
  • vernorvernor Member Posts: 2
    First time used car buyer looking at a 2007 S40 2.4 with about 15,000 miles. Dealer has it listed at about $21.5k and I was wondering what kind of deal I can make with them. Do these used cars usually sell for close to asking price, or is there some wiggle room to negotiate on this? Thanks
    Check out Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds used info on pricing..I've never been very successful negotiating "good" deals with used purchases. They usually have more room than on new cars but are much less willing to reduce their markup...there is some room for them to recondition etc but when you compare their profit margin with new sales ????
    Good luck and don't forget to compare your actual cost with a 2008 similar model with a full warantee. :)
    Charlie
  • vernorvernor Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response snead_c. The price is within reason of KBB and Edmunds for used dealer retail. Since I have never purchased from a dealer, I'm not sure how much room there is to deal with them. Sounds like I will try to work it a little and see what I can do. Thanks again
  • carmalitagungacarmalitagunga Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to trade in my 2005 S40 T5. It has 60k miles, fully loaded. It's in good condition, and runs GREAT!. (normal wear) I purchased it about a year ago, and my family has grown...so I need to get at least a 7 passenger vehicle. I owe 21k. The dealers are offering me so much lower for my trade in than what the TMV shows on edmunds. TMV states at the very worst condition it would be 13k, I figured that I would get at least 14k. Automax Ford offered me $8500...when just a month ago the same dealership offered me $14,500. What's the deal? How can I get the most for my trade? Does anyone know what my vehicle is selling for at auction? UGH! I'm so frustrated. I'm willing to carry some negative equity onto a new car, since there are such great rebates. I feel like I'm stuck. Does anyone have any advice.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Does anyone know what my vehicle is selling for at auction?

Try posting a description here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I just traded my 2000 jetta for a 2009 Prius. After lots of shopping I visited a friend who sells used cars and he told me that NADA is used by most dealers around here and KBB / Edmunds are too high...I know, my Jetta took a $1300 hit...the site is at the following link.
    http://www.nadaguides.com/
    Unless you have a like new late model consider your car at the low end of values, subtract from the wholesale value of the car you're considering, check on incentives (hold back is almost always off the table), decide what "profit" you'll pay which must consider the current demand for your new purchase and the current market conditions. Remember the dealer must make a profit to stay in business.
    Three percent over invoice is my goal.
    Good luck.
  • swts8996swts8996 Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking a purchasing a 2009 2.4i with leather and climate package...dealer is quoting $27,968 (MSRP $31,775). Does anyone know if I can bring down that price and by how much? There are only two left in the area that I live in with leather. I've heard not so great things about the T-tec. Anyone have T-tec and like it? I heard it water spots and attracts dog fur like crazy (and I have a dog).

Also, anyone know when the 2010s come out?
  • pingbradypingbrady Member Posts: 5
    I don't own a volvo, but went car shopping last weekend. My wife and I LOVED the T-tec fabric. Kinda wish they offered it in the R lineup.
  • swts8996swts8996 Member Posts: 14
    when I first went to check out the s40, i was intrigued by the T-Tec since the salesman said it was durable and easy to clean and great for pets and kids. I read on some forums that it water spots really easily. I live in the NW where it rains a good amount and so water spots would be a big problem. Also read that it attracts dog fur and my dog sheds a lot and I don't want to be vaccumming every time my dog gets in the car. Hence why I decided to go leather. But good to know that some people do prefer it.
This discussion has been closed.