Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pjorensteinpjorenstein Member Posts: 1
    I'm being offered a 2004.5 S40i for $24,600
    silver/off-black, Automatic transmission, premium package. This includes destination and all other dealer's fees except tax and licensing. Does that sound like a reasonable deal? Should I be able to do better? I live in Northern California.

I also found a 2005 similarly equipped for $25,200, but I think I'd rather save the $600 now and get the older model. I drive them into the ground, so I'm not so worried about resale.

Thanks for any help.
  • gilligangilligan Member Posts: 2
    Can some help me to determine if the below is a good deal? Thanks

2004.5 T5 with:
    Premium Pkg
    Audio Pkg
    Climate Pkg
    Automatic Trans
    Price=$27.5K
  • ajangajang Member Posts: 1
    recently got a 2005 S40 2.4i equipped with premium, climate, and geartronic transmission. sticker was 28,515, but after incentives it was 24,500. also got 1.9% financing.
  • curtislcurtisl Member Posts: 1
    Lot of good deals being had out there! Here is where I shook out in the Chicago market. The 2004.5s are flying off the lot given the free premium pack upgrade. My dealer found a 2004.5 S40 (black w/beige leather) 2.4i for me out of state, so I had to pay a little more for delivery. Could have gotten a white or red with ease, but wanted flint or black exterior. That said:
    - premium pack
    - climate pack
    - convenience pack (but wanted audio)
    - geartronic automatic
    $25,400
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    How is this done? Are leases available on OSD cars?
    Are the finance and lease rates/programs the same as buying a car in stock?

I know you can finance or lease BMWs purchased through their Euro Delivery program, but I think Saab offers no financing so you have to pay cash or use a home equity loan.
    What's Volvo's situation with cars purchased through Overseas Delivery?
    I am already planning to go to Europe during a specific time frame next summer whether or not I buy a new car.
    Can you specify the date you need to have the car ready (i.e. tell them you need to pick up the car on July 1 2005 etc.) or do you have to plan your trip around the date they tell you the car is ready for pickup?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Go to www.flyvolvo.com. They are a dealer that handles many Volvo OSD's. Many answers there.
    I've been to the site, but it doesn't answer my questions.
    There are people here that have used the OSD program and have first hand experience.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Yes,
    You can specify the exact day for the delivery if you order early enough. The usual lead time is about 12 weeks, so if you order 4-5 month in advance you can reserve your delivery date. Please check for the local holidays. For instance, Volvo factory is closed in July for entire month. Other delivery locations can be closed due to the national holidays and extended summer vacations too.

Just a safety precaution, I will not buy plane tickets, until I will get an order confirmation from VCNA. It usually takes about a week. Though, VCNA was very prompt with my orders.

I have two time "first hand" experience - March 2000 - S80 and June 2004 - XC90, both from the factory in Sweden.
    You can lease and finance with Volvo the same way as when you buy a car from stock. The only caveat is that you have to sign a promissory note (contract) at least one month prior to the delivery date. Volvo OSD should have your money one 30 days in advance.

There are some banks and credit unions that will finance the purchase order. You might want to shop around, because Volvo rates and money factors are not always the best.

Though, in both cases I have paid cash.
    That's interesting to know. I have always heard that the manufacturer's captive finance company is the only place to get financing for a European delivery program because outside banks and credit unions will not finance a vehicle so far in advance of it being shipped to the US plus they don't know how to deal with you picking it up, driving and insuring it in Europe while under their finance.
    Unless there is a prepayment penalty, I could finance through Volvo and then refinance at a local credit union it once it is delivered in the US.
    It would be much more simple if it could be directly financed with a credit union auto loan from the get go.
    Don't they usually have a promotion offering one or two free round trip plane tickets?
    If you use the free tickets, you probably wouldn't be able to obtain the tickets until you are contracted to purchase the vehicle.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    We financed our first Mercedes delivered in Zurich in 1968 through a local bank in SF; the UAL credit union wouldn't do it because of the advance purchase requirement, but it took just a couple of phone calls to find a bank who would - and that was 36 years ago. Can't imagine it's not easier now [no Internet, no easy faxing, all snail mail in those days]....
    Yes they do offer two free round trip tickets. But sometimes, you make the amendments to the order, that can effect the delivery day, while you already have an order number and can work with the travel agency.
    Travel agency needs just an order number and do not care about the delivery date, it's between you and Volvo. So, you would want to "seal" the order and then purchase the tickets. Though, if do not make any changes, your order confirmation has a guaranteed delivery day on it, and you can start working with the travel agency right then.
    When I have discussed the issue with my credit union they had offered the following:
    - a bridge unsecured loan at 5.9% until car will arrive, which will be converted to their promotional 2.9% auto loan, once I can transfer the title to them at the registration.

I did not go for that, because I make just 2% on my saving account, so I have financed myself. I am dutifully "pay" my loan back to myself every month (I plan to save that amount in 2-3 years) loosing 2% interest on my savings, but "gaining" 2.9% to 5.9% of unpaid interest on a loan.

But if I would not have enough money on my saving I would definitely go with the proposal from the credit union.
  • kbryant888kbryant888 Member Posts: 6
    I will be graduating from college in december and already have a fulltime job lined up, starting January. I want a fully loaded Volvo s40. My local dealership wants me to come by and take a look. What can I expect? What questions should I ask?
    Go Overseas!!!
    Volvo runs their Winter Travel promotion again

http://www.volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/AddedIncentive- s/WinterTravelOffer.htm

What a great way to get a new car and celebrate your graduation abroad with your significant other or with a friend...

And nice, no hassle, discount of about $2K too.

I am a big fan of the Overseas delivery program and have done it twice. It's fun.
    Can you send me a link or discussion on this more?
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    still require the premium package that costs about $2k? I'll pass it, since I want the T-tech fabric & the extra headroom from the moonroof-less car.
    No. it does not. 2.4 manual starts from $21.6K. Check it out. OSD always provides more options a la cart than the domestic delivery.
    http://www.volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/CarsInProgram/- S40.htm

And you do not need any discussions. The OSD is exactly what it is said at volvocars.com. No gimmicks, no hidden cost, just pure fun and excitement for people who like to travel and, accidently, want to buy a Volvo.
  • scooterzscooterz Member Posts: 20
    Actually it requires the Premium or Select Package. Even following the link above and clicking through, it states that in bold on the top. However, there are not hidden costs and you do not have to even pay the delivery charge. FYI, I just purchased my S40 T5 6M AWD through their Expat program which is a little less than the OSD prices since I am currently in Denmark. Fantastic car at a fantastic price.
    This seems like it will be more expensive.... I dont know if its a good idea.
    More expensive than what?
    But it is totally up to you...
    then just buying it at a local dealership
    I do not think so, but it just me
    Yes, you are right. I did not see the "elephant" - that big disclaimer on a top of the price sheet.
    No problem, that's why we all contribute.
    If you are going with a fully loaded S40, the least expensive by far is through OSD. In fact they even give you airfare. All you need is time to go pick it up in Sweden and wait for it to arrive in 4-6 weeks after you drop it off in Europe. Noone in the US can compare in pricing, not yet anyway. You can also customize it a little more this way.

For the basic versions, it's better through the dealer since OSD is not avaialable without the expensive options.
    Just out of curiosity. Can you really get a basic S40 2.4i with a manual transmission today?
    What percentage of low end cars is typically ordered by the dealers?

From my observations at two large dealerships in LA - it is close to none.

Am I wrong?
    Actually- you can pick it up pretty much anywhere in Europe, and Volvo has really good winter promotional Barselona/London packages till the end of April 2005.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    A local reputable dealer advertised a base S40 model last weekend for a price between $21.7 and $21.8K.

This same dealer had 3 or 4 base '04.5 models (with auto, of course, but no options) back in May. I'm guessing they won't be stocking that many stripped '05 models with stick. Seems that the introduction of geartronic (sportronic, tiptronic, or whatever you want to call it!) transmissions have further diminished the demand for sticks within sport sedans.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "Seems that the introduction of geartronic (sportronic, tiptronic, or whatever you want to call it!) transmissions have further diminished the demand for sticks within sport sedans."

Yah right, who are they trying to fool? It's still a slipping slush box w/ high possibility delay shifting. Only CVT w/ simulated gears or the VW/Audi DSG can provide you smooth & non-slip performance w/o the 3rd the pedal.

The DSG will eventually be adopted by the Focus family -- stay tuned.

I have a tendency to shift my stick into neutral frequently, I wonder if DSG allows that easily. I assume the CVT w/ simulated gears can do that simply by shifting into CVT mode. So far, only the Focus II 1.6 diesel has this kind of CVT tranny.
  • an99an99 Member Posts: 8
    Volvo S40 2005 2.4i Silver Metallic with (1) Automatic (2) Premium Package (3) Climate Package for $26,000.

The invoice for this is about $26,600. The dealer said he has some incentives. Do you know what the incentives are right now? How is this for a price?
  • hellixhellix Member Posts: 3
    Got the following Volvo S40
    -2005 S40 2.4i
    -Silver Color
    -Premium Package
    -Sport Package
    -Convence Package
    -Climate Package
    -Extras...Waste Bin, Touch-up Paint, First-Aid Kit, Eye Glass holder, Mud Flaps

I paid $24580
    Had to really fight for the price but edmunds TMV is way too high.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    if you paid 24580, what was the sticker?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    TMV is the average price paid in your area, so major congrats on doing better than most people! TMV is a "C" grade, and it sounds like you earned an "A."

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• creshandocreshando Member Posts: 7
    Its hard for me to believe that you paid $2000 under invoice on a 2005. Do you work for Volvo?
    No I do not work for Volvo. There is about 5 dealerships in my area. I got the car so low by playing dealerships off each other. I would get the best price from one dealership and bring it to the second and so on. The only problem I have had in getting my S40 is it has to be specially ordered from Sweden because there was not a car with the options I wanted in the US.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ....... All do respect Hellix, but a dealer isn't going to take a $2,000 beating even if he had to order it from the 13th Galaxy and get's a Christmas invitation from the Pope .. I have a funny feeling if you went over your figures you missed a number here and there .. especially Volvo's, they're not distressed merchandise ................. :)

Terry.
    hehe, you guys are making me feel like I got the deal of the century. I am not lying to you. Thats the price of the car. Minus Sales Tax in my area and Destination fee. Also don't forget I ordered a 2.4i manual, not a T5 Manual.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    7,000 miles - leather, moonroof for $20,000 (could save another $1000 by not taking a two year warranty extension beyond the 4 1/2 years mfg warranty available). A good deal? {previous female owner got pregnat and switched to a wagon).
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Sounds good to me, especially if the price includes the extended warranty.
  • RicksterRickster Member Posts: 40
    I'm thinking of leasing a T5. Does anyone know how Volvo's leases are looking these days?
    Was offered the following today:

-2005 S40 T5
    -Automatic Transmission
    -Black
    -Premium Package
    -Audio Pacakge
    -Climate Package

for $27,700.

Any thoughts on how that stacks up? Thanks much!
    <sound of crickets>
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Hi Rickster - looks like we don't have many S40 shoppers. You might have a look for a good discussion on our Smart Shopper board - i see you found the lease questions discussion, but there are several others that might be appropriate.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Wow, that was fast. Thanks.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    I'm considering an S40 along with the Saab 9-3 Linear or 9-2X.

But I'd need to keep a 2.4i pretty stripped to make it 'affordable'. Manual tranny, maybe sport package or Xenons, that's about it.

Great looking car though, and I'd feel comfortable with my family in a Volvo.

Is $500 over invoice reasonable on a new S40/V50 right now, or will deals get better toward summer '05?
  • dbeischerdbeischer Member Posts: 1
    Is $500 over invoice reasonable on a new S40/V50 right now, or will deals get better toward summer '05?

I believe that you can do better- I have a standing offer from a local dealer for $2050 under invoice for a S40 2.5T. Volvo incentive for Dec. was $1850. I think the regular S40 is $1500 for December.

I just bought a 2004.5 S40 2.5T with premium, audio, sport, climate, Tcontrol- for $26K not including 6.5% sales tax, title and doc fee.
This discussion has been closed.