Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's just you. ;)
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Ok Backy thanks........I guess the reason I ask is because
    in central new jersey, the vast majority of individuals who
    drive Elantra GLS's are middle-aged women! And they seem to
    treat it as a disposable, throw away car.
    I always thought New Jersey was a weird state. ;)

Maybe with the new Elantra going upscale in size, features, and price, fewer people will think of it and treat it like a disposable, throw-away car. They aren't $10k basic transportation anymore.

Just wondering... how do you know that all these middle-aged women are treating their Elantras as disposable, throw-away cars? You're not a stalker of middle-aged women, are you??? :surprise:
    Funny Backy...........It wasnt my intention to offend all
    male GLS owners. Im sorry, but im just stating here what
    I observe here. Their GLS's appear to be rather beatup looking, even the 04-05s. Worn down tires and scraped up
    hubcaps and a lot of scrathes on body. Many women in my
    very nice condo community drive GLS's, so I see them all
    the time.
    There is nothing wrong with NJ...its a wonderful state! No,
    I im not a stalker! I have better things to do with me time
    here at The Institute for Advanced Study in beautiful Princeton.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    There is nothing wrong with NJ...its a wonderful state!

There isn't? Could have fooled me. Spent time near NYC (have relative in the oranges) not much to speak of there. And spent two months of misery in Cape May.

There are other states I would rather be in. :shades:

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Its certainly not very polite to disparage where folks live here.
    Just funning with ya. Anyway ask anyone who spent 2 months at Cape May and see what they say. :shades:

I don't see the Elantras in such a condition around the Twin Cities in general. Nor do they seem to be driven mostly by middle-aged women. So maybe it's something specific to where you live. Do you see a big difference between how Elantras are driven/treated and other low-cost sedans? That is, is it an Elantra thing or just how people where you live treat low-end cars in general?

Anyway, I drive a GT, which is obviously a car for macho men!!! :D Oh wait... my middle-aged wife drove it before I did. :blush:
    Anyway, I drive a GT, which is obviously a car for macho men!!!

My niece drives a GT.

The best Elantra is a station wagon!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats true Backy...I guess it depends where one live in the
    country. It seems women who drive Corolla's treat them
    better than their Elantras. There seems to be a general
    consensus in my area by mechanics that Elantras are throw
    up cars.
    My mechanic tells me that the auto trans in the Corollas
    are much more refined and reliable than the Elantras.
    And you or someone else has taken a survey on how women around the country treat their Corollas vs. Elantras? :confuse:

What is it exactly that causes your mechanic to "throw up" over the Elantra?

Anyway, on the tranny subject (trying to get back on topic)... I read where the auto tranny on the '07 Elantra has been updated.
    Backy...I never said that.
    Im specifically stating what I have observed in my
    area only!
    Obviously, I intended to type "throw-way", not "throw up."
    I think you knew that.
    I had no idea what you intended to type. I only know what you typed.

Did you want to talk some more about the 2007 Elantra? I guess we'll have to wait awhile to see if they are magnets for middle-aged women, as you were musing.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    My wife and I were at our local Hyundai dealer this last weekend looking at Azera's for her. (For those of you in the LA area, it's the "HUGE" dealer). I asked the sales manager when they would be getting the 07 Elantra's as I'm thinking of stepping up from my 01 GLS. He told me that "they're on the way" and will be at the dealership by mid October. We shall see.
    My dealer in Trenton NJ said what I believe Backy had
    mentioned in an early post...something about a strike
    and they may not see delivery of the 2007 Elantra until
    Dec or Jan!
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    He told me that "they're on the way" and will be at the dealership by mid October.

A local dealer told me the same just the other day....not sure if I believe it, but I hope so, as the car on paper has at least this self proclaimed Corolla-guy intrigued.
    Its does kind of resemble a Corolla, particularly the front
    grill, I think. However, I also think the new body is a bit
    effeminate. Backy strongly disagrees though, but everyone
    has there own perception I guess.
    By the way, my fellow employees at work laughed at me when
    I purchased my 2005 GLS in Dec of 2005. They said.."thats
    an old ladies car...why did you buy an old ladies car??"
    Oh well, that just the preception they have in jersey I
    guess.
    Maybe I just like clean, flowing lines vs. the "chunky" look (cf. Dodge Caliber) that is supposed to be "masculine". I really don't care if women find the new Elantra particularly appealing. I buy cars because I like them and they suit my needs, not based on what others think.
    I will, however, state here that I love the new interior
    design of the 2007 Elantra. Its got a very smooth, easy
    on the eye, comfortable feel about it. A huge improvement
    over the current 04-05 interior, although I dont dislike
    my 05 interior.
    Have you seen the interior of the 2007 Nissan Sentra? Thats
    ugly! Very cold looking and chunky. I think we may agree about
    this Backy.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Same here, my fellow employees also laughed when I got my 2001 GLS. They're not laughing now. In fact, six of those employees have bought Hyundai's since I got mine. Most trouble free car I have ever owned, and I've owned quite a few.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    By the way, my fellow employees at work laughed at me when
    I purchased my 2005 GLS in Dec of 2005. They said.."thats
    an old ladies car...why did you buy an old ladies car??"

So skip the Elantra and step up to the plate with those other Advanced Studies Folk: prove your Machismo by getting an Hummer H2, let at least a gallon of gas spill down the side when you fill the tank, and crush the Hyundai a la (note my subversive French influence, evil New York Liberal that I am?!) MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS!!!

Seriously.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    If more people bought cars "they" liked rather than worrying about other people's perceptions or the perceived image of the car, we'd all be better off. I could care less what people think of what I drive when I buy a car.
  • no1insoflno1insofl Member Posts: 1
    It's good to see all the positive comments about the current & upcoming 07 Elantra!

Just wanted to say that at this point pricing hasn't been released to the dealers, but is expected soon - also as mentioned above, there have been a few price increases in the '06 Elantra one about 500 & a more recent 200 one - so hopefully the 06 vs 07 pricing with the new safety features standard won't make quite such a glaring increase. As for availability, talking with a regional rep from Hyundai, in early August, he was saying Oct - Nov...but with the late arrivals of the 06 Accent & Azera, I'm thinking a few may start to trickle into the dealerships the end of Nov but more likely Dec before having any selection to choose from. If I hear any definite information, I'll keep ya updated.

Chuck
  • line3line3 Member Posts: 9
    looking to get a new ride this fall, latest by end of year. my sister has the 06 sonata and it is one nice ride. so i dont know if i should look for a good deal on 06 sonatas while they last or wait for the 07 elantra. styling wise they are both nice. car size, i'm indifferent. price - aiming for $15-16k before TTL. any thoughts?
    You will get a lot more car for your money with the Sonata, if you can find a GL or even GLS at a closeout price. I think rebates and big discounts will be hard to get on the new Elantra right off the bat. Elantra will have better fuel economy (estimated 28/36, vs. 24/33). Sonata also has stability control and traction control standard--nice safety features. If you like the styling of both and don't mind the extra size and space in the Sonata, and the lower fuel economy, why not go for the Sonata, if you can find a good deal?
    Backy,

Don't forget that Sonata cannot be had with a 5-speed any longer, though.

If ya like to row thu the gears, you have to get the Elantra as all US Spec Sonatas are now autos ( :mad: ).
    Why then does the HMA web site allow you to configure a 2007 Sonata GLS with a stick shift?

Also, every Sonata SE and Limited has a 5-speed, and lets you row through the gears if you wish. :)
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Sonatabean is correct about the '07 Sonata transmissions.

In a surprising move, Hyundai will not offer a manual transmission on any trim level of Sonata in '07 model year.

"Row your own" fans will have look elsewhere. :cry:
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Oops - Looks like I had some misinformation. :surprise: Backy's links show the base GLS with a 4 banger can still be had with a stick.
    To get back on track - I still prefer what I see with the new Elantra. I hope Hyundai updates their website soon so we can "Build & Price". I'm hoping a loaded Limited model comes in around $18K with a stick.
    Oops - Looks like I had some misinformation. Backy's links show the base GLS with a 4 banger can still be had with a stick.

Actually, I have to confess the same.

It seems that the website was not fully updated for 2007. I went to check out the 07, wanting to row thu gears WITH a clutch . . . only to discover that was not possible.

Somewhere, in the next 18 mos, a new car is in my future. After having a auto Sonata since 2000, I want something a bit sportier as the auto makes me feel more like a member of the "Buick" crowd.

In short, "ooops - was not updated properly: sorry!"
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I seriously doubt that even a loaded Elantra will approach 18K,as a Limited or GT 2006 model lists under 16K.I expect it to max out under 17K.
    A GLS is hardly a "base",maybe you meant one with a 4 cyl engine. :surprise:
    The 2006 Elantra GT with automatic and the ABS/moonroof package lists at just over $18k including destination. The 2007 Limited will have more feature content, including 16" alloys, heated seats, side curtain airbags, telescopic wheel, and an optional high-powered CD changer system. So I think it's near certain that a loaded 2007 Limited will list at over $18k.

So is that too much? Consider that a 2007 Honda Civic LX with automatic is $18,355 and has nowhere close to the equipment (or room) of a loaded Elantra Limited. If a loaded Elantra can be close to the price of a Civic LX even before rebates and discounts, that's a very good value IMO.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    With the Civic, you will save alot of money gas vs an Elantra and you will get much more of your up front cost back at trade-in time.
    There's about a 10% difference in estimated fuel economy between the Civic sedan automatic and the 2007 Elantra--35 overall vs. 32. I suppose that can be significant if you drive a lot of miles. I drive less than 10k miles a year in each of my cars, so that's less than $80/year with $3/gallon gas. With the 5 years of free roadside assistance on the Elantra, saving me $60/year on a AAA membership, it's a wash.

I will be keeping my next new car in the family for at least 10 years. So I won't be getting much back when I sell it whether it's an Elantra or something else. On my first Elantra, a 2001 GLS, I lost just under $6000 in depreciation after 5-1/2 years when I sold it a few months ago. My '04 Elantra GT has lost a little over $3000 in value (per TMV) in 2-1/2 years. So I'm not really worried about resale value with the Elantra. But then, if I buy an 2007 Elantra, I won't be doing it when they first come out, when there will be few if any rebates and minimal discounts. ;)
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    With the Civic, you will save alot of money gas vs an Elantra and you will get much more of your up front cost back at trade-in time.

First off, my friend has an 06 Civic and they are very nice cars. However, is it worth 18K+? Personally I dont think so. I could step up into a bigger/more upscale car for 18K (Fusion or Sonata to name two).

Jaxs1 I was interested to see what the difference in gas and resale value between a Civic and a Elantra would indeed be after 5 years. Taking the above mentioned examples of Civic and Elantra and according to kelly blue book the Civic would have a residual of $8270 vs $5090 for the Elantra (similarly equiped). However, im sure it won't take long for Hyundai to put a $500 to $1000 dollar rebate. So pure dollars to dollars you could come out ahead by roughly $2000. Civic looks pretty good, but wait. My Elantra would have heated leather seats, a moonroof and a more powerful radio.

And just how much money would you save with the more economical Civic? I belive they consider the national average miles driven per year to be 12-15K. So a Civic driven 15K highway miles (hwy 40) would have an annual fuel cost of $1125.00 (at 3 dollar a gallon). A Elantra driven 15K highway miles (hwy 32)would have an annual fuel cost of $1406.25. So an annual gas cost savings of $93.75 or a mere $7.81 a month. You could save alot more money on gas by moving closer to work. So by driving the Elantra I eat out one less time a month. To me that is a virtually negligible difference for driving a better equiped car. Plus from what ive read the EPA highway on the new Elantra should be better than 32, but I have'nt heard how much better.

So in conclusion, having not driven the 07 Elantra, I would choose the Hyundai over the Civic. Plus I would have the longer warranty and FREE roadside assistance for 5 years. Hey, ya never know when you will flatten two tires running over a handfull of nails.
    FYI, the highway mpg for the '07 Elantra is an estimated 36 (28 in city)--up 4 mpg from the '06 Elantra.
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    And just how much money would you save with the more economical Civic? I belive they consider the national average miles driven per year to be 12-15K. So a Civic driven 15K highway miles (hwy 40) would have an annual fuel cost of $1125.00 (at 3 dollar a gallon). A Elantra driven 15K highway miles (hwy 32)would have an annual fuel cost of $1406.25. So an annual gas cost savings of $93.75 or a mere $7.81 a month. You could save alot more money on gas by moving closer to work. So by driving the Elantra I eat out one less time a month. To me that is a virtually negligible difference for driving a better equiped car. Plus from what ive read the EPA highway on the new Elantra should be better than 32, but I have'nt heard how much better.

Oops, I used a wrong number. Actual annual fuel cost for Civic is $1125 vs $1406.25 for Elantra. For a savings of $281.25 or $23.43 a month.

However, with a estimated 36 EPA hwy for the new 07 Elantra (thanks for that) the annual comparison comes out a bit closer to my erred figures. Civics $1125 vs Elantras $1250 for a total annual savings of $125 or $10.41 per month.
    The Civic costs a bit more,so you have to :) consider that in the comparison.The 100K warranty is also a big plus for Elantra. :)
    Backy,

Has this 4MPG increase now been confirmed in print from
    Hyundai, or is this still just speculation??
    If so, where can I find this evidence in print?

Thanks!
    Are those EPA figures? I don't see the '07 Elantra on the EPA website.

• beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Thanks for the link. That's the first time I've seen this list.

Love the head, hip and shoulder room. Blows the competition away based off the hard numbers. Seems a tad bit short on rear legroom, though....but no biggie, still smack dab in the middle of the competition there.

Hopefully the real world mileage will be close to those figures.

If this car is as good in person and on the road as it appears on paper, hyundai may have itself a convert.
    Don't know. If the 2007 Elantra is coming as early as October as some people have said, the EPA figures should be published very soon.
    Thanks Backy!

Interesting...I see Hyundai went down a speed rating on
    GLS tires to a T rated! So, it certainly looks like they
    will not be using the Michelin MXV4 plus tires after all!

Im anxious to see just what tire they will use...
    FWIW (not much!), I predict HMA will announce that electronic stability control will be standard on the Elantra and probably all Hyundais sold in the U.S. no later than the end of next year.

This would put Hyundai in a leadership position with respect to the proposed government regulation requiring all new cars to have ESC standard. They are in an excellent position to move quickly on this. All their vehicles sold in the U.S. already have stability control standard except for the Accent, the Tiburon (due to be replaced soon), and the Elantra. But we know the 2007 Elantra will have ESC in other markets, so it's easy to add to U.S. Elantras. Adding ESC to the new Tibby and the Accent would give them full coverage. ABS is already available on the old Tibby and on the Accent, so adding ESC should not be a big deal.
    You're right.I swear I saw the limited sticker with a price of 15,995 on the window,but maybe I missed something.Still even at 18K plus,its a lot less than a Sonata Ltd,for basically very similiar equipment.
    I wonder if the compass and outside temp. features of the Sonata will be available.I considered the Sonata,but the MPG is too low with the 6 cyl.
    The sales person at my dealer tells me the 2007 Elantra
    will have the Kumho Solus KH16 tires...which would be
    wonderful improvement for the Michelins!
    Why are they better?Have you managed some price quotes while you were there?
    My salesman told me they dont expect the Elantras any sooner than after Thanksgiving. :cry:
This discussion has been closed.