Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    Speaking of tires, let's hope the wheel shimmy isn't a problem with this Elantra redesign. I have 2 years left on my Sonata lease, so that'll give me some time to see if it's an issue or not -- and then I might get a new Elantra as a result!
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Backy, I hope you're right. I'm really considering an Accent SE 3-Door or the new Elantra, but find myself leaning towards the Sonata since it has stability control, which I really want on my next car. Fingers crossed!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just read that Hyundai is making ESC standard on the Tiburon SE for 2007. So that makes the Accent the only model in Hyundai's lineup that doesn't have ESC either standard or available on some trim lines (in some countries anyway).

I guess if the feds have their way, all cars--including Hyundais--sold in the U.S. will have ESC in the not-too-distant future. I'd just like to see Hyundai be aggressive on this, since they are already very close to meeting the proposed regulation.
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    The Tiburon SE is a $21K+ car. For that price, it SHOULD come standard with stability control. Both the Mazda3Speed and GTI come standard with stability control, though both are FAR better cars then the ancient Tiburon.

The Accent getting stability control? LOL. Let me know when Hyundai makes ABS standard on this tin box first.
    Uh, ABS was standard for the 2006 model year. But I guess enough people complained that A/C was still an option (at least it's available, unlike the Civic DX!) so now A/C is standard, but ABS is not.
    Uh, remind me again what model year we are in now?

I was 15 pounds lighter in MY 2006, but that hardly seems relevant :)

Air conditioning: another premium feature for Hyundai.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Hyundai was on the right track to marry a full package of safety features with a relatively low purchase price. They should stick to it. Options are cheaper to all if standard on every car. They also lead to insurance discounts. Does anyone know if the very useful trip computer that I have on my 01 Elantra GT will be available on the high end 07 Elantra?
    ABS is standard on the 2007 Elantra.

The SE and Limited will have a trip computer according to HMA's press release.
    Let me know when Hyundai makes ABS standard on this tin box first.

ABS is standard on the 2007 Accent SE. As noted, it was also standard on the 2006 GLS, but for 2007 ABS is part of the package with power windows/locks/mirrors on the GLS. So at least it's easy to get.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Uh, remind me again what model year we are in now?

It is 2006. Calendar and model.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Does anyone know if the very useful trip computer that I have on my 01 Elantra GT will be available on the high end 07 Elantra?

I don't have the trip computer, so maybe I'm missing something.... but what is so "very useful" about it? I keep track of my mileage in a spreadsheet; I'm not too sure what other benefits it provides (maybe a "miles to empty" reading?)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    but what is so "very useful" about it?

Its a toy, thats what makes a ok car a super car - the amount of toys it has.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Saves calculating miles per gallon for one. Gives you a sense of how lead or light footed you are driving while you are driving for another. Let's you keep a running mpg count over the life of the car or measure mpgs for each trip for a third. Supports my screen name for a fourth. :-)
    I find the computer very useful too. There is so much variation in gas pumps that's it's hard to get accurate mpg from measuring gallons at the pump. At one station I frequently use, it's hard to get within 1-2 gallons of full. At the other station I use frequently, I can fill right to the top if I want. Also, as you said the computer can help you drive for max fuel economy by resetting it and watching the numbers. The goal is to make the overall mpg go up or at worst stay steady over time. This gets harder to do of course as the miles add up.
    Saves calculating miles per gallon for one.

But I do that anyway, since I keep track. I just write the mileage on the receipt and when I get home I enter the data in a spreadsheet that calculates mpg, cost per mile, etc.

Gives you a sense of how lead or light footed you are driving while you are driving for another.

Keeping the spreadsheet does the same thing.

Let's you keep a running mpg count over the life of the car or measure mpgs for each trip for a third.

The spreadsheet does that and keeps a permanent record so I can see trends over time, see the differences due to trips, etc.

Supports my screen name for a fourth.

Ah! Finally, a *good* use! :P
    Keeping the spreadsheet does the same thing.

Only if the spreadsheet can track your fuel economy instantaneously, while you are driving. If your spreadsheet can do that, I gotta get me one of those! :)
    Since I have a friend whose trip computer was once telling him he was getting almost 60 MPG and another whose trip computer was saying he had almost 70 miles till empty as he ran out of gas I take what a trip computer says with a grain of salt.

I do, however, trust my math skills.

Sorry your friend doesn't have a good trip computer as on the Elantra. I've verified the accuracy of mine in both fuel economy and MTE.
    How did you verify MTE? Did you run out of gas once? ;)

Again I will trust my math skills before the trip computer.

• w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Re. jpryba's post on September 15 . . .

I have a 2006 Elantra GLS sedan purchased in December 2005, and we've never experienced any wheel shimmy. Proper torque of the wheel nuts/lugs are extremely important to keep from warping the hub and brake assy. Never, never let anyone get close to your car's wheels (regardless of make or model) with an impact wrench!
    I have a 2006 Elantra GLS sedan purchased in December 2006,

Ok I'll bite how did you happen to purchase a car in December of 2006? :P

Nice catch Snake . . . it's since been edited. Freudian slip I guess with 2006 on the brain!
    Well I didn't catch it at first, I read it and knew something was wrong with it but didn't know what it was.

Only if the spreadsheet can track your fuel economy instantaneously, while you are driving. If your spreadsheet can do that, I gotta get me one of those!

Instantaneous means nothing to me. It's just a pretty disply to me. The real bottom line is how much overall fuel economy I'm getting.
    That's true. I find the computer helps remind me to use a light foot on the gas in addition to tracking overall fuel economy. Whatever works for you.
    I find that the tach helps remind me to use a light foot.

Go back and read my earlier post on this. It's not about math skills. It's about the difficulty in consistently filling the gas tank, given the variations in gas pumps. As I explained earlier, for the two stations I use most often, there can be a 1-2 gallon difference when the pump clicks off the first time. And it is impossible to fill the tank all the way up (also messy, unsafe, and environmentally unfriendly) with one of those stations, as well as with many others I have used. So that is one big reason I prefer the computer. It can give me good numbers whether or not the tank is filled to the same level each time.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    One of the benefits of living in and having most of the import manufactures located in the Los Angeles area. This last weekend I saw a new 2007 Elantra SE (white with tan interior) parked on the street in West LA. Other than the manufacture plates, this car looked like it had just come off of the local Hyundai lot. I’m not a big fan of white but, this is one sharp car both in and out. Time to give the 2001 to my daughter.
    Go back and read my earlier post on this. It's not about math skills. It's about the difficulty in consistently filling the gas tank, given the variations in gas pumps.

You know I have never had that problem, every gas pump I have used has filled it up to the top. FWIW if there is a problem the problem I have is that it fills up to much.

As I explained earlier, for the two stations I use most often, there can be a 1-2 gallon difference when the pump clicks off the first time.

I cannot recall a time when I could get more than a few more ounces in when the the pump clicks off. Usually I squeeze the handle once and it clicks off immediately, then I squeeze the handle once more it clicks off immediately again usually with some gas spiriting out. I am confident that when it clicks off it is 100% full.

I am glad you have not had that problem. I do. I think it has to do with higher line pressure at some stations--makes it hard if not impossible to put that last 1-2 gallons in without tripping the auto shutoff. This happens in all my cars, not just my Elantra. The trip computer helps me mitigate the problem.
    There's some variability, but it all averages out in the end. I tend to look for large swings in mileage and keep track of my 10-tank average. +/- half a mile per gallon or is not significant to me. I look at the longer trends.
    Tell that to myself and the thousands of others on this site and countless other boards with wheel shimmys that came from the factory. There is even a class action suit in progress.
    Thousands on this site with wheel shimmy? On the Elantra? I don't think so.

I've driven about a dozen 2001-2006 Elantras over the years. There was a slight wheel shimmy on one of them--an Elantra on which I had just mounted new tires. I took the car back to the tire shop and had the tires re-balanced, and no more shimmy.

The 2007 Elantra will have different tires (Kumho vs. Michelin) and different wheels (for sure on SEs and Limiteds, with 16" alloys) than the 2001-2006 Elantras. Whether or not those will eliminate wheel shimmy from the Elantra, we'll have to see. But I doubt it, because...

Do you have any idea how common a problem wheel shimmy is? Try this: go to your favorite search engine (e.g. the one that starts with a G) and search on "wheel shimmy" plus some car model or brand. I tried it with Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, BMW, and a few car models. Lots of cars with wheel shimmy out there! Most are easily correctable with proper wheel balancing and/or alignment.
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    "Germancarfan1" Let me personally say that you need to get a life elsewhere. Time and time I see you posting all negative remarks and not one single positive comment here. I'm sure that I am not the only one in the Hyundai Forum noticing your continous tirade about Hyundai brand. If thats the case, go and drop your Elantra which you currently own and [non-permissible content removed] about and buy a Rabbit that your so raving about and stay out of this room. I am amazed that "Backy" have such tremendous patience to deal with your tirade, considering your inadequate infos are constantly being corrected by him.
    As our good moderator has given you an opportunity to express your views, mod also explain that you include all aspect of the vehicle's brand. This is not a forum of bashing, but a forum to improve our understand of the vehicle. Remember That!
    Thousands on this site with wheel shimmy? On the Elantra? I don't think so.

To be honest I don't think there are thousands that post on this site. But then Deutscher Autoventilator isn't the most unbiased about Hyundai either.

But you are right wheel shimmy is a very common problem that is more caused by the tire than anything else.

Try this: go to your favorite search engine (e.g. the one that starts with a G)

Yahoo starts with a "G"?

I was at my local dealer this week. They have a row of Elantras at the front of their lot, but they are not running any special year-end incentives as of yet. The service writer said that without knowing for sure when the HDs are due in, the dealer doesn't feel the need to deplete the supply of Elantras on the lot. Current information at that dealer is HDs coming in sometime in the November-January timeframe.
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Does anyone here yet know if the 2007 Limited version will
    come with the silly, cheap looking wood colored plastic on
    dash and doors?
    I was going to purchase a 2006 Limited, but I just couldnt
    with that fake wood plastic. Who does Hyundai think they
    are kidding?? ITS PLASITC!! not wood!
    Hyundai's hardly unique in using that stuff. I kind of like the look of the aftermarket dash kits that use real wood, but I just don't think it would look quite right in my Elantra.
    Yeah, I don't keep up here as much as most of you do, but aren't dealerships running out of Elantras? There's an ad in the Chicago Tribune for a local dealer that keeps revising how many 2006 Elantras they have left. They're down to only 6 -- aren't all dealerships gonna run out by the end of the month?
    May I ask which dealer?

Our local dealer (south on I-57 from Chicagoland to Champaign-Urbana) has between 12 and 20 Elantras in stock.
    I checked a few online inventories of Hyundai dealers around Chicago and they seem to have between 12 and 15 each.

• tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    why would you guys even consider buying a 06 elantra just look at the differences:
    2007:
    and here is the old one 2006:
    Three things.

1.) get rid off all those big pillows, they just take up to much space.

2.) Get rid of the gated gear shift its just plain stupid.

3.) Make it available as a wagon.

What are you talking about big pillows?
    Nope, look at the second picture will all those big pillows.

I personally prefer the outgoing body style, especially the hatch version. I think it's a great looking car. I'm not so much a change for change's sake kind of guy. The outgoing Elantra is a nice balance of comfort, function, style and economy. I hope the incoming Elantras maintain that balance.

And yeah, I'm not crazy about gated shifters. Except that they are somehow considered "sporty", I'm not sure what the advantage of having one is.
    Yes the hatch is a sharp looking car. I am sure that the new Elantra will be maintaining that balance.

I have a second gen Elantra which I really like, my daughter has a third gen one which is a noticeable improvement. If they make this one as much nicer it will be a big hit.

those are AIRBAGS my friend showing the safety features if the elantra gets in a accident not pillows lol
This discussion has been closed.