Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    NO! Really?

It was a joke you're suppose to laugh.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Some advantages of the 2006 over the 2007 IMO:

* Hatch is available
    * GT is available
    * Has beefy side strips to ward off dings--2007 has nothing!
    * Has two adjustments for seat height--I've had some trouble with Hyundai's single-lever height adjuster in getting a comfortable position
    * Traction control available--not available on 2007
    * Price is lower--especially in first few months that the 2007 is available.

But the 2007 has advantages over the 2006 also--including those comfy "pillows" across the windows, standard ABS, better fuel economy, larger interior, 16" wheels on SE and Limited, and more upscale interior. Also probably better ride and handling, if Hyundai's press releases are accurate.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Plus, I don't think I could buy a 2007 for $13,500 including TTL. And, I hate gated shifters.
    Did you reply to the right post? I didn't say anything about looks.
  • tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    why would you hate gated shifters there is no difference I personally like them better gives the car more style... looking at the 2006 elantra makes me want to throw up I wouldnt be CAUGHT driving in that ugly car... the 2007 is a different story alot more style the interior is alot better then the cheapy interior of the 06
    why would you hate gated shifters

Because they are stupid and annoying. On my car that has a good clean non gated shifter you just press the button on the side of the shifter and move it straight down to drive. Going from reverse to drive doesn't even require pushing the button.

Now with the gated shifter I have to move the shifter to the right then down then to the left then down again than to the left again then down again. Yes thats much better than moving it straight down.

• tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    I like them better and you hardly have to put them they get annoying sometimes because I move it to fast.
    How are they more sportier? Having to make more moves is sportier?

• doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Yeah... if you like that kind of "sportier", get a manual shift!

Gated shifters are much more about style than they are about performance. Some shifters make sense to be gated- for instance, if there is a "manual shift" option (the car won't shift up or down until you move the shifter), then it makes sense to set up a gate to prevent a driver from inadvertantly moving the handle to that mode and forgetting to shift.

But what function do they serve on the Elantra??

Besides, if you want "sporty" on an AT shifter, you can do this on the current generation of Elantra:

But not on the new version. You can't get the leather boot on! :P
    Yeah... if you like that kind of "sportier", get a manual shift!

And the Lords people said AMEN!

• jamrightjamright Member Posts: 1
    Will the new Elantra have a decent odor? I have a 2001 Elantra and it simply smells like cheap cologne.

How is Honda able to keep the same smell in the Civic? I have a 98 Civic and it smells the same as when I got it back in 1998!
    Well, stop wearing cheap cologne when driving the Elantra! ;)

I owned a '01 Elantra for 5-1/2 years and it never smelled like cheap cologne. It had the characteristic "Korean new car smell" for the first couple of weeks until the sealant they use for protection on the ocean voyage wore off. Then it just smelled like a new car for nearly two years. After that, nothing special.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    it simply smells like cheap cologne.

Dude, you gotta stop hangin with da pimps! :P
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Yep, definitely!
    The 2007 looks very much like a girly-car.
    The 2000 model was manly, yes, but girls liked them too.
    The 2001-2006 were unisex.
    These are NOT opinions, just the facts! Hahahaha.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    I was on the site, www.hyundaicanada.com, and noticed they are now reporting the 2007 Elantra is available. The display the vehicle in different poses that really reveals the unique lines of this car. Very attractive.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I notice the Canadian Elantra gets auto climate control.

What's up with that? The Canucks always get the slightly-cooler versions of small cars than we do in the USA.

*grumble*
    I'd rather have the six airbags standard that the U.S. gets instead of auto climate control.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I may have been misreading, but I thought CA gets all the bags, too. Right???
    Unfortunately, the GL gets only front airbags standard. From the link that was posted above (look at Performance & Safety):

All models come standard with dual front airbags. GL Comfort Plus, and GLS also have the added safety of standard front seat-mounted side-impact and rear roof-mounted side-curtain airbags.
  • mrohanymrohany Member Posts: 1
    I was checking the Canada hyundai site. the GLS trim(which is pretty much like limited trim in US) priced for around 23000 Can$,Will the US version price will be this high??? :confuse:
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    I looked at the prices for both and the US prices are generally around 80% of the Canadian prices. I didn't use any conversion for currency exchange, just looked and compared the prices on the website. If it holds up the limited would be around 18,500.
  • mikey24mikey24 Member Posts: 6
    I figured out the gas mileage for the 4 speed. 28 city 39 highway

The canadains get six models.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Since I originally stated that I hate gated shifters, I'll tell you why . . . they're nothing but a fad, and style over substance. I'll take substance over style any time. Other posters have also stated why as well.

I've driven many cars (all rentals) that use them, and I simply don't like them. It's my freedom to dislike or like whatever I choose. as it's yours as well.

If I wanted to manually shift an automatic tranmission, I would buy a manual gearbox (period). In fact, two of my four cars are 5-speed manuals. And, each has the original transmission after nearly 200K miles. Not too many automatics make it that far!

I will reserve judgement on the 2007 Elantra until I see one in the flesh.
    Is that in imperial gallons or U.S. gallons?

Hyundai itself said the fuel economy (U.S.) would be 28/36.
    That would be US gallons. According to that website the Elantra will use 8.4 liters per 100 kilometers city and 6 liters per 100 kilometers highway. That translates to 27.9 and 39.1 MPG.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I would not assume that the Canadian numbers can just be converted to US. The test protocol is probably different. For example, the US has "fudge factors" that arbitrarily reduce the actual measured figures.
    I am just reporting what was on the website, not making judgments on it.

• mikey24mikey24 Member Posts: 6
    I checked the mileage for the canadain civic 5 speed auto it has a lower mileage rating then the american one.
  • gregdepgregdep Member Posts: 1
    If they are available in Canada now... any idea on when the US will get them? I see the rumor that there may be a hold up in manufacturing but in the past how long after a release in CA do they release in the US? ... and are they only going to be selling the limited first?

Thanks!
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    23000 CAD for an Elantra? Considering a 2006 Honda Civic EX (pretty much loaded) AUTO starts at 23,600 CAD, that's an awful price.
    A better comparo for the Civic EX is the Elantra GL Sport, since the Elantra GLS (comparable to the Limited in the U.S.) has a leather interior and auto climate control which the Civic EX doesn't have. The Civic EX MT is $23,655 CAN including delivery charge. The Elantra GL Sport MT is $21,940 with delivery charge. And that is for a much roomier car than the Civic. Actually, Hyundai's Accent has about as much room as the Civic. The Accent costs a lot less than the Civic.
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Does anyone here yet have the new exterior color options pictures for the 2007 Elantra?
    The Canadian web site link above has a "build your own" feature that lets you see the car in different colors. Not as good as in-person, but gives you some idea.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The Canadian web site link above has a "build your own" feature that lets you see the car in different colors. Not as good as in-person, but gives you some idea.

Have you actually tried the build your own function? Yesterday and today it was not working.
    I was able to select the colors of the cars, yes. But it didn't let me go all the way to price the car.
    Have you actually tried the build your own function? Yesterday and today it was not working.

I tied the other day and it gave me a price of 0.00. I am going to Canada to buy my car :blush:

It's pretty easy to compare the wrong trims of cars, since they offer different levels of equipment. For instance, it wouldn't be fair to compare the price of the Civic EX with Nav to the Elantra w/o Nav. And I don't think many people realize that the Civic and Accent have about the same interior room. It does up the value equation for the Elantra vs. the Civic though, at least for me.
  • conroyconroy Member Posts: 1
    I called a dealership in NJ and they said January.
  • groulixgroulix Member Posts: 1
    ..I live in Canada and bought the new 2007 Elantra GL Comfort Auto model...and all i can say is wow, love the overall look, very clean. Interior is amazingly flashy, and has good handling, great on gas. Only thing i've noticed is that you can hear the engine moreso than when driving the 2007 Mazda3, or even the 2007 Civics. But those cars did not compare to the overall look, and comfort that the '07 Elantra offered. Very pleased with my purchase and only cost me $22,000 CAD with taxes included.
    Congratulations! Could you compare the handling for us to other cars, e.g. the Mazda3, Civic, or even the previous-gen Elantra? What kind of numbers are you getting on fuel economy so far (keeping in mind the Beta engine's fuel economy improves quite a bit as it ages)? Is the engine noise louder than the other cars at cruise, or when accelerating (typical growl of the Beta engine), or both? How do you find the ride comfort compared to other cars you drove? Thanks.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    GLS manual 13,395
    GLS auto 14,395
    SE manual 15,695
    SE auto 16,695
    Limited manual 16,695
    Limited auto 17,695

GLS options
    air conditioning 900
    Preferred package: air, 172 watt audio, fog lights, cruise

SE options
    Premium package: sunroof, heated seats

Limited options
    sun and sound package : sunroof, 6 disc cd/mp3 220 watt stereo 1,300

Floor mats 85
    Mud guards 75
    Sunroof wind deflector 85
    rear cargo tray 70

Colors:
    Captiva White
    Black Pearl(not the pirate ship)
    Regatta Blue
    Seattle Blue(gray as in cloudy)
    Carbon Gray
    Quicksilver
    Purple Rain(Prince's favorite color)
    Redfire Pearl
    Laguna Sand
    Thanks, Dan! Do these prices include destination charge?

As predicted, a loaded Limited will top $19k. If destination charge was not included in the prices above, it will be close to $20k. But a loaded SE MT with sunroof is only about $17k--significantly less than a comparably-equipped Civic EX for example.
    Oops, freight is $600 on top of those prices.
    Dan, can you please clarify something in your post? You mentioned the GLS Preferred package has A/C, stereo, fog lamps, and cruise. But HMA's press release about the Elantra said the GLS Preferred package would have only A/C and stereo, and the GLS Premium package would have those plus power heated mirrors and locks, remote keyless entry with trunk release, panic alert and alarm, windshield shade band, fog lights, rear center armrest with cupholders, cruise control and an auxiliary jack. So is it the Preferred package that's $1500, or the Premium package? And if it's the Preferred package that's $1500, how much is the Premium package (which has several features I'd want on the Elantra)? Thanks.
    the heated mirrors, power windows and locks and alarm system are all standard. I left out the windshield shade band, illuminated vanity mirrors and sunvisor extensions because I had a deal coming in and was trying to type fast.
    Oh cool, so Hyundai added more standard content since the press release! Kind of odd though, don't you think, that A/C is optional and power windows/locks/heated mirrors are standard? I mean, A/C is standard even on low-end cars like the Accent GLS, Yaris, and Fit.

Have you heard anything official as to when the new Elantras will start showing up at your store?
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Maybe a lot of people do not need AC in Canada.
    Niels
    No, maybe not. But I was talking about the Elantra features offered in the U.S. The Canadian trim levels are different. Hyundai could make A/C optional there and standard in the U.S. It's been standard on the Elantra in the U.S. for at least the last six years. And as I noted, it's even standard in the U.S. on Hyundai's lower-priced Accent sedan. I suppose it's a good thing though for the people in the U.S. who don't want A/C in their car. Maybe some folks in International Falls, MN. ;)
    No release date has been announced yet. I don't understand the A/C issue. My district rep says that he won't be ordering any, so its unlikely that you will see many of them out there.
This discussion has been closed.