Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'm a wise guy? I'm not the one talking about "girlish, fem looking" styling. :surprise:

You love the styling of the Spectra. I think it's good looking but I prefer the looks of the Elantra. I don't think it's girlish and fem looking. I happen to like sleek lines on cars vs. the "chunky" look that seems to be popular with many people these days.

If you love the Spectra so much, why not talk about it on the Spectra discussions rather than a discussion focused on the 2007 Elantra?
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Well, I guess it all a matter of taste. Everyone has their
    own idea of what is or is not good looking.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Yep, 2007 Elantra... girly car! It may be my next new car.

And yes, many Corvette styles are definitely girly cars too. Ask some women.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    it's probably time we refocus on the subject vehicle which is the 2007 Elantra and maybe look around for discussions on vehicles that aren't the topic here.

Here's one link that I hope is helpful: Kia Spectra/Spectra5. If I can provide any other links, I am more than happy to do so, just ask!
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Also, look at elantraclub.com. They have the same opinion of the new Elantra as elantraxd.com. A lot of people do not like the looks. Probably a big reason it is selling so poorly here in southern CA market (largest car market in NA) and there are tons of 07 on dealers lot. This is quite ironic since the Elantra body was designed at the joint Hyundai-Kia Design Studio in Irvine, CA - about 5 miles from where I live.
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Sales figures support this assertion. Jan 07 only saw sales of 6361 Elantra's, lower than a year ago. Not good for a new release.

It's only a matter of time before $2000 rebates are back. Either that or it becomes a rental car fleet champ likes its brother the Sonata.
    Wow!
    And last years figures were probably low for Elantra to begin with since Sonata was the darling then and took buyers away from Elantra, which was slated to be replaced really soon by the new Elantra.
    So, two really good reasons for low Elantra sales this time last year. But this year? This should be the year for Elantra sales to shine.
    Guess the girly styling really is hurting sales. Or maybe it is the US economy in general causing the decline in sales? Inflation is WAY higher than what we are told. Consumers are finding out they can't spend what they don't have or can't easily borrow. Home equity lines have dried up and adjustable rates are going up too. Uh-oh!
    Yep, rebates coming soon, and then bigger ones will follow.
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Hyundai sales are down across the board. Sonata sales have been tanking for the past 5 months. Meanwhile, Honda and Toyota are posting record sales. Something is going wrong at Hyundai.

Hyundai just added a $500 rebate on the Elantra to encourage slow sales. It isn't long before $2K+ rebates.
    have honda and toyota been lowering prices?
    Yes, the rebates will likely increase on the Elantra. It's been typical for Hyundai to start off pricing a new design at MSRP (maybe with a loyalty rebate), then ratchet up rebates if needed. There was a large jump in out-the-door price on the Elantra from 2006 to 2007, due to an increase in the list price (albeit with some more equipment like more airbags and standard ABS) and lower rebates. I think that is what is keeping sales down. People can get a rebated Corolla for about the same money as an Elantra (with fewer features on the Corolla probably), and the Corolla has more brand equity than the Elantra plus better EPA fuel economy, which is a big deal for most buyers in this class. There's also cars like the Versa that offer almost as much interior room as the Elantra plus a Japanese brand name and a hatchback option, and a lower sticker price.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with Hyundai. Second, Hyundai sales are not down across the board.

And just to point, Honda and Toyota have increased rebates/discounts/special lease rates/fleet on many of its models.
  • priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    I am in the market for a small family sedan and have looked at the Civic, Corolla and Mazda 3 before the new Elantra was released. We drove the Elantra when they arrived at my local dealer and I was impressed. The downside for me right now is the turmoil within Hyundai Motors - Strikes, Embezlement and then an illegal strike to get huge cash bonus.
    What does all this mean for the long term stability of Hyundai Motors?
    Should we as consumers pay the cost of this mis-management?
    I would put the valuing of the local currency at the top of the list, which has been detriment to the export markets.

Regardless, I still believe the price-to-feature ratio on Hyundai products are amazing to speak of. I was impressed with the Elantra as well, by the way.

What was your impression of other cars you've tested, in comparison with the Elantra? I felt there are no wrongs in selecting any of them you have listed there. I would say it comes down to the one that would fit best your preferences and taste.

And as for the long term stability, I don't believe there are anything to worry, they are here to stay. I have been surprised (in a good way) how fast Hyundai has improved on its brand., and the results show, from the portfolio of vehicles, awards and being the #6 automaker worldwide. Kudos!!
    Mis-management? Did you happen to notice how much money Ford lost last year (recall they control Mazda)? Is that a sign of good management? Did you notice the turmoil in the past year at Toyota over their declining product quality and increasing recalls?

Why not focus on which car you like best and what it costs you to buy it and own it, rather than agonizing over things like whether one of the largest--and fastest growing--automobile companies in the world will survive until you are ready to sell your car?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    are going great guns right now. They are great cars, cost less and offer the best Warranty in the business.

Am I missing something here? Watch them take #5 worldwide automaker in the next year or two. Who's currently #5, DCX?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    Yes, all responses list very valid points.
    My curiosity in the Elantra started due to the great success of Hyundai. And also, as I see it, the lack of any of the big three US auto makers to recognize the need for fuel efficient vehicles. It does look like Ford is in rough shape, and currently they offer a $2500 rebate on the Focus. Looking at several reviews, including Consumer reports, they all seem to recommend the Focus. Even though the reviews don't seem as positive as those on the Elantra, intersting.
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    I don't think Hyundai is #6 right now unless you combine Hyundai and KIA.

car makers by 2006 global production

1. GM
    2. Toyota
    3. Ford
    4. VW
    5. DaimlerChrysler (Honda is either #5 or 6)
    6. Honda
    7. Nissan
    8. Hyundai
    Well duh, if General Motors is one, then Hyundai/Kia should also be one.
    Re the Focus, something to think about if safety matters: are side curtains even available on the Focus? Last time I checked, they weren't. They are standard on newer compacts like the Elantra and are important for head protection in a side crash. If crash safety is important and you are thinking about an Elantra, you might wait a bit to see what the IIHS side and rear crash test ratings are.
  • henrobhenrob Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed on Carsdirect that it is listing the 2007 Elantra as discontinued. Are they changing the car midway thru the model year? If so, what is different?
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    Are they making XM standard like they did with the Sonata? If so the new Elantra would have a new model number, discontinuing the old one.
    Yes, XM is available on the Elantra now, but the pricing with XM has been out for some time, so it seems odd that Carsdirect would not have pricing on the XM-equipped Elantras.
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    Is it optional now? If so, would they move to make it standard?
    It's optional on the GLS (which doesn't have any kind of radio standard), and standard on the SE and Limited.
    06 figures have not been released but here is the official tally as of 2005:

1 General Motors 8,381,805
    2 Toyota Motor Corp. 8,120,000
    3 Ford Motor Co. 6,208,700
    4 Volkswagen AG 5,242,793
    5 DaimlerChrysler AG 4,854,700
    6 Hyundai-Kia Group 3,715,095
    7 Nissan Motor Co. 3,597,748
    8 PSA/Peugeot-Citroen SA 3,390,000
    9 Honda Motor Co. 3,365,000
    10 Renault SA 2,533,428
    Most car makers have released 2006 figures. Just google them.

For example.
    GM 9.18 millions
    toyota 9.02 million
    Honda 3.6
    Nissan 3.3
    Hyundai 2.5
    Those are production numbers. Market share rankings are determined by volume (units sold) - see 05 figures I posted.

I hope Hyundai/Kia will maintain its 6th position (largest automaker) in the world, behind GM, Toyota, Ford, VW, and DCX. Hyundai and Kia are combined since Hyundai owns Kia.
    the number I posted are 2006 global production (million vehicles produced worldwide). Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Hyundai and kia are two seperate companies (unlike, say, ford/mercury). The connection is that Hyundai chairman is the father of KIA chairman.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Chung Mong Koo was found guilty! Currently the Hyundai and Kia have felt some impact here in the US but this will mos likely make things worse.

Feb. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Chung Mong Koo, the chairman of Hyundai Motor Co. and South Korea's wealthiest man, was found guilty of embezzlement and breach of trust.

Chung, worth more than $2.2 billion, is guilty of embezzling company funds and breach of fiduciary duty, the Seoul Central District Court said. Chung, 68, said during his trial he was aware funds were diverted. He denied knowledge of how they were used.

The case disrupted Hyundai Motor and affiliate Kia Motors Corp. The companies said they delayed construction of factories in the Czech Republic and the U.S. because Chung's travel was restricted during the trial. The won's 8.6 percent rise against the dollar last year and strikes in Korea help reduce the carmakers earnings and caused their shares to plunge.

Hyundai Motor's profit slumped 34 percent last year to 1.53 trillion won as a stronger won against the dollar eroded profits from exports and it sold fewer vehicles, including Sonata sedans. Profit at Kia Motors plunged 94 percent to 39.3 billion won. Over the last 12 months, Hyundai Motor shares have declined 19 percent and Kia shares have dropped 47 percent. In contrast, the benchmark Kospi index has risen 2.8 percent.

Kia Motors and Hyundai Motor suffered $2.4 billion in lost production last year because of strikes. The delay of factories in the Czech Republic and the U.S. state of Georgia derailed Chung's plan to transform the two companies into the world's fifth-largest carmaking group by 2010.

Chung's Testimony

During his trial, Chung testified that he knew funds were being diverted without proper accounting.

``I feel an overall responsibility for the creation and the use of the fund,'' Chung said on June 15 in his second court hearing. ``When I was told that the funds needed to be created, I told our employees to take care of it. However, upon deep reflection, all this is my responsibility as the chief executive.''

Hyundai Motor officials have testified that the funds were used where they couldn't get official receipts. In Korea, senior managers of a company sometimes give cash to employees for a wedding or funeral without asking for a receipt, Hyundai Motor officials testified. Prosecutors said the money was set aside for illegal use, without specifying the alleged purpose.

Korea's Economy

Hyundai and Kia made up 72 percent of South Korea's 2.65 million vehicle exports last year, according to the Korea Automobile Manufacturers Association. Automobiles account for about 10 percent of exports from Asia's third- largest economy. The combined sales of the two companies are equal to about 6.1 percent of South Korea's $788 billion economy.

Chung lives in Hannam-dong, a hillside residential area in Seoul. The area is also home to Lee Kun Hee, the chairman of Samsung Group, the official residence of South Korea's foreign minister and the embassies of Spain, Mexico and India. Private security guards restrict access to his neighborhood.

If sentenced to prison, he may serve his term in a 6.6 square meter solitary room, according to the Korean Institute of Criminal Justice Policy.

Last month, seven people were found guilty of taking bribes from Hyundai Motor Group to help one of the company's units write off debt and an eighth person was convicted of giving bribes on behalf of the carmaker. The court suspended the sentences while the verdicts are appealed. Former South Korean finance ministry official Byeon Yang Ho was acquitted of receiving bribes from Hyundai.

Chung and his son Chung Eui Sun, co-chief executive of Kia Motors, in April said they would donate 1 trillion won including their 60 percent stake in car-shipping unit Glovis Co. to charity. The donation hasn't been made yet.

Update:

A South Korean court has sentenced the head of the Hyundai Motor Group to three years in jail, sweeping aside widely-held expectations of a suspended sentence.

The ruling, which should rekindle concerns over a management vacuum at the world's No.6 auto maker, is another blow for a company contending with a rising won and restive labour unions.

Officials at Hyundai Motor declined to comment, while share market analysts anticipated hefty consequences from the ruling.

"This could have a big impact on Hyundai Motor," said Kim Hyun-tae, fund manager at Landmark Investment Management.

"The impact on the Korean economy could be huge. There will likely be an appeal, so this process could take longer."
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the best place to discuss this is on our Automotive News & Views board. This discussion is actually about the Elantra itself.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Hyundai and kia are two seperate companies (unlike, say, ford/mercury)

Nope, Hyundai owns Kia and has since around late 1998. Here's a link to an old article about that.

Hyundai buys Kia
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    5-door model or hatchback is to be out in Korea around June or July so expect it to come in United States around October or November.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Do you think the forthcoming liftback will have electronic stability control, or at least traction control, as an option? I'm surprised Hyundai doesn't offer these features on its new Elantra. Hyundai is working on including these improvements sometime in future, but there's been no word as to when. :confuse:

Cheers...

Peace! :shades:
    A prediction: Hyundai will make ESC (with traction control) an option on the Elantra in the U.S. (it's already available in some other countries) if it achieves Good ratings on the IIHS side and rear tests, because then it would get the IIHS' "Gold" award.

Consider that no other cars in the Elantra's class (moderately-priced compacts) offer ESC standard, and few offer it as an option. So Hyundai could stand out in the crowd by adding it to the options list.
    I just noticed HMA increased the general rebate on the '07 Elantra to $1000, with the $500 loyalty rebate still in place. If someone is lucky enough to live near a city with an auto show that gives out the $500 rebate coupons (e.g. Minneapolis, Chicago, and NYC have done this in the past), it would be pretty easy for a current Hyundai owner to get $3000 off a new Elantra. Just think, a nicely-equipped Elantra SE for around $13.5k + T&L... not a bad deal for that kind of car IMO.
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Backy, just out of curiosity, how do you come up with 3000.00
    off? Should that be 1500.00 off?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Its new math.

Now how did you come up with $1,500? A general rebate of $1,000 a loyalty rebate of $500 and a $500 rebate coupon from the car show adds up to $2,000.

Math classes start at 5 PM. :P

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    the rebates add up to $2k, then get the dealer to knock off $1k, and there is your $3k off.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    I hope you're right in your prediction, backy...
    I really like the new Elantra, and I look forward to the liftback model when it makes it debut in the U.S..I just hope Hyundai wakes up to the fact that if it does get to feature ESC (with traction control) with both sedan and liftback it WILL set itself apart from the rest of the pack, as U said. ;)

Cheers...

Peace! :shades:
  • landrewlandrew Member Posts: 5
    I am interested in purchasing the Elantra but I feel TCS/ESP is a requirement. Why would Hyundai choose to take out the TCS/ESP feature on the US builds? :confuse:

Looking at their International site, they feature the TCS/ESP with an animation sequence. Is is a cost issue (getting near Sonata pricing) or something else?
    Yes, you are absolutely right. The markup over invoice on the Elantra SE is about $1000, so a Hyundai owner buying a '07 Elantra SE around invoice could save about $3000, including one of the $500 auto show rebate coupons.

For those with the wisecracks about math... if you want to buy your Elantras at full MSRP less rebates, go right ahead.
    I think it is a comparative price/cost issue vs. Sonata. The Elantra is a very large car for many foreign markets, and people there may have no problem paying for features like ESC, auto climate control, and navigation since it might be their only car. But in the USA the Elantra is considered an "economy car". FWIW, a local dealer advertised no-money-down leases on the Sonata GLS at $199/mo. this weekend, and the Elantra GLS at $209/mo. (!). That would be a no-brainer for the Sonata to me.

Also consider no other cars in the Elantra's class have both TCS and ESC/ESP standard, and almost none offer ESC as a readily-available option. You can get it fairly easily as on option on the Rabbit and Jetta, although those cars in 4-door form will cost quite a bit more than the Elantra. VSC is available on the Corolla, at least in theory, but when I've gone to toyota.com to spec one with VSC, only the top-trim, fully-loaded LE model was available with VSC. And you have to get one of the upper-trim Mazda3's to get ESC on that. ESC isn't even available on the Civic, Sentra, Focus, or Cobalt. I think it may be available on the Caliber.

What other cars are you looking at that have TSC and ESC readily available?
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    I enjoy Edmunds vehicle comparison feature, but I am a bit confused when doing a comparison of some small cars:

Edmunds "cons" for the Mazda 3 S say it has "tight rear legroom" with 36.3 in. rear-legroom spec., but under "pros" for the Hyundai Elantra SE they say that the Elantra, with only 35 in. rear-legroom spec, has an "adult-friendly backseat"

Furthermore, the Honda Civic LX is listed with only 34.6 rear-legroom, less than either other car, but Edmunds doesn’t fault it for "tight rear legroom"...

Are the interior specs wrong? How is this rated? Who measures this stuff? How should all this conflicting data be interpreted?
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I assume that different people rated them.I guess they didnt check the actual specs.I was going to buy the Elantra Ltd,but when I couldn't find one,I got impatient and bought a KIA Optima.Boy,am I sorry :sick:
    "FWIW, a local dealer advertised no-money-down leases on the Sonata GLS at $199/mo. this weekend, and the Elantra GLS at $209/mo. (!). That would be a no-brainer for the Sonata to me. "

the 199 sonata lease is a national hyundai special, and it is with $999 due at signing.
    "Edmunds "cons" for the Mazda 3 S say it has "tight rear legroom" with 36.3 in. rear-legroom spec., but under "pros" for the Hyundai Elantra SE they say that the Elantra, with only 35 in. rear-legroom spec, has an "adult-friendly backseat" "

my only quess is that edmunds is looking at hip, shoulder, and head room in addition to the rear leg room for the elantra.
    The HMA lease program on the Sonata is with money down, but that doesn't stop individual dealers from offering better terms, e.g. the no-money-down deal I saw advertised. A correction on the Elantra GLS lease deal I mentioned above: it was actually $219/month with no money down, or $20 more than the Sonata GLS! Obviously the Sonata lease is subsidized more by Hyundai than the Elantra lease.
    Inches don't tell the whole story. Other things like the height and angle of the seat cushion and the amount of toe space are important also. Go sit in a Civic, Elantra, and Mazda3 back-to-back-to-back (like at an auto show) and you'll find that the Mazda3 does feel the tightest in back compared to the other two, and the Civic feels like it has more legroom than it should have based on the numbers. And the Elantra feels the roomiest of all, probably because it has a high cushion and good toe space under the front seats. Also the Elantra's cabin is pretty wide for a compact car.
  • landrewlandrew Member Posts: 5
    Actually, I am looking at the Elantra vs Sonata. I now live downtown (city life) and currently have a 2005 Impala. I would like to downsize to a smaller (small midsize) car. I like the Elantra for all the reasons discussed on this forum. I am not looking for an econo-box and my wife wants the Limited, so who am I to disagree. My problem is that I want to be as safe as possible given the current state of the industry. The Sonata has TCS/ESP and now that I know that the Elantra 'could' have it, if I get it I will feel that I 'cheated' myself everytime I get behind the wheel.

I would purchase the Tucson but for the fuel economy. I want to average over 30 Mpg.

Backy, I guess I am just venting :cry: as I feel that the Elantra is a perfect fit and I would get one if it had the TCS/ESP. I can keep my Impala unitl next year and absorb some more depreciation in the hopes that the Elantra will be offered with TCS/ESP in 2008. The Sonata is larger than I need and I do not care for the dash materials and layout. I am concerned that 'external' events may cause gas prices to go up and I want to have a fuel efficient vehicle while keeping comfort features. If the 2008 Elantra has the 'world' engine and TCS/ESP along with 40mpg, I will be a genius for waiting. ;)
    My problem is that I want to be as safe as possible given the current state of the industry.

What about passive safety also (crash safety)?. I don't think there is a car today that costs under $20k that meets your requirements, if you include crash safety. The Rabbit/Jetta come closest (ESC available, very good crash test scores) but you won't average 30 mpg in those unless you wait for the diesel version. The Corolla can be had with VSC but it's rare, and the IIHS side impact crash score with optional side bags is mediocre. The Sonata has only a mediocre score on the IIHS side impact crash test also, and I doubt you will average 30 mpg in that either unless you get an I4 and run it on the open road all the time. The Tucson does not have very good crash safety either. Other mid-sized cars like the Accord and Camry are pricey with ESC, e.g. the Accord comes with ESC only in V6 trim. One car that would meet all your requirements is the Camry Hybrid, but that starts around $25k. The Sonata is reported to be getting a new dash for 2008, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai addressed its side crash test scores. Another option to look at if you haven't already is the Optima--it has ESC available, but the IIHS side impact crash test score hasn't been reported yet (same as for the Elantra). But the Optima's fuel economy won't be much different than the Sonata's (maybe a little better with the 5-speed automatic on the I4).

Life is full of compromises!

It sounds like you don't have to buy a car right now. If did, you could buy a used car that holds its value well, maybe a Civic or Accord, and then sell it in a year or two when your "perfect" car appears. With ESC becoming more common on cars, you should have more choices in a year or two--and maybe the Elantra! :)
This discussion has been closed.