Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comsumer Reports Negativity about the 2000 Dakota?

skmorrisskmorris Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Dodge
The April CR, New Cars edition, has a very
negative report about the Dakota. I ordered mine
12/27/99?!?!?!?! Still don't have it. Been sitting
in Warren, MI for some reason and was supposed to
have finally been here last week. I got the CR
yesterday and before taking possession of the 2000
Club Cab, 4 wheel drive, 4.7 L V-8, 4 speed auto
and most of the bells and whistles available, if it
ever comes, I need some input please. CR sez.
"Reliability has fallen below average of late, and
we no longer recommend it." "The ride is jarring,
transmission does not always shift promptly."
Average or below average in reliability,
satisfaction and depreciation.
I am having concerns about taking delivery after
reading this article. PLEASE let me know your
opinions about the 2000 Dakota.

Comments

• themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Maybe it'll drop the 'holier than thou attitude of the dealers' and knock some off the sticker price for a change. As far as the truck, read the quad Topics here, take the constructive criticisms with a grain of salt and then pick up your Dakota and have a good time for about 200k miles. If you want any further info just e:mail me or anyone else on that posts to Dakota and / or Dakota Quad Topics. We'll be happy to share our normal daily driving impressions vs. CR 'opinions.'
    our (Dakota buyers) MAIN complaint to date is that D/C can't get em to us fast enough! Does supply and (serious) demand mean anything to you?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    with themacguy. I don't want this to become (yet another) CR bashing topic, but there is a lot of caution among many people here about the validity of some of CR's opinions. These reservations seem to come from supporters of all makes and models, with the exception of the models that CR is fond of at that particular time.

There are a lot of topics on here about the Dakota and you will find a lot more useful comments, good and bad from the people in these forums.
  • ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    skmorris I too had some reservations about the Dakota even though I put little stock in Consumer Reports. My experiences with DC constructed Jeep Cherokee and good customer service with my Dodge Dealership helped to make me decide to take the plunge. The Dakota Quad is a wonderful truck! I hope some of the people at DC realize that this truck along with the new PT Cruiser will give Daimler Chysler a chance at luring GM, Toyota, Nissan, and other buyers into their fold. Someone in the corporate office, I would hope, is surely following these posts and needs to understand that if these new buyers are unhappy, they will return to former brands as quick as they switched. The main complaints I hear are about the auto tranny and the fact that they can't seem to build them fast enough. After 550 miles of Quad driving, I would order another in a heartbeat. I have the 4x4, and if I could afford it I would order a 2wd for a second vehicle(different handling qualities-both, good). As others have suggested, spend some time reading the other Dakota topics. Lots of good information from a variety of viewpoints.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    well i am on my second dodge dakota and i love them, i have the dakota quad, 4.7, auto, 4x2, 3.92 and loaded, i now have over 9000 miles on it and about 2000 miles of it is towing 5000lbs and 1200 miles towing about 2000lbs and it is incredible, now the thing i find funny about CR is that the same engine and tranny are in the jeep grand cherokee, and CR liked it. now granted the jeep has some drivetrain problems totally unrelated to the new engine and tranny itself, but its all rearend and driveshaft problems, and thats the only thing negative that CR really talks about. as for the dakota, ITS THE BEST!!!!! now go get it!!!!!!

robert
    or there won't be any left!
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    good truck. Damn near bought one myself (but got a Silverado). Salesman begged me to take it for $500 over invoice (4X4 Quad), but got the Silverado for just a little more. Took it for a long ride though and it's a very nice truck. I really liked the size vs. the Silverado and as for quality it comes with a 3/36 warranty, so what's to worry about? Wouldn't be suprised to see the big 3 up their warranties to something similar to Isuzu's 10/120. Competition is a wonderful thing. If I had to do it again, I may just buy that Quad, good luck with yours...
  • skmorrisskmorris Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the input you have given me on the 2000 Club Cab, 4 wheel drive, 4.7 L V-8, 4 speed auto that I ordered 12/27/99. But where is it? I feel like bookitty, but then I don't know how long he has waited. I called again yesterday and they told me the same thing they did last week. It's still sitting in Warren. MI ... he thinks, we're in Ohio. (I told him I think they lost it, he just laughed.;-( ) Last week and the week before he said he put a "hot" on it, whatever that means. Seems to me that there sure should be some compensation for waiting this long; like not having to pay the destination charges, which he sez all those extra charges HAVE to be in the bill. Don't know how you guys get by getting out of paying them. All of the dealers around here say they have to be on the invoice. Didn't work to pit one dealer against the other either. But thanks again.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Thanks guys for your heartfelt support. Unfortunately, stupidity is not a crime. Were it so, most of the dealerships would suffer an extreme shortage of sales people. Stupid is defined as taking an order, having the order manager misinterpet the meaning of "restriction", then not informing the customer of the change. I realize it is extremely difficult to gather together enough inept people to perform thus, but Reedman Dodge is steep with this type of talent. They did offer extended warranty, and I don't think I would want them changing out components of or whole differentials. The level of trust is just not there. I have reordered, and I allegedly have been awarded a high priority profile, but it is difficult to believe some of these people. I truly appreciate your concern for my situation. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, then I consider myself lucky. Thanks again, I'll keep you "posted."

Bookitty
    most people appreciate honesty, why can't these dealers get it through there head. Good luck...
  • stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    But they look at a vehicles entire line not just one model. I believe if they looked only at the new Quad witha 4.7 it would be alot different. I would never have bought the Quad if the new 4.7 and Auto tranny werent offered. I cant imagine driving thier V-6, or the 360 V-8 as the Gas tank size would need to be increased at least 50%.
  • willywillwillywill Member Posts: 18
    This waiting problem seems to be only on the quads.... I ordered my club cad slt plus on Feb. 8th and recieved it on the 20th of Feb. soory that it is taking so long for yours. I would be very angry if I had to wait twomonths just too get a truck
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    I took notice of your earlier response. With 9000+ miles on your QC (4.7L, 4x2, auto), can you estimate your mileage in city and on hiway for me. I would appreciate it. That sounds very close to what I believe I wnt to buy.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Oh look! They have their pencils in pocket protectors. Oh God! They're Nerds. Help us!!!

Bookitty
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    finishing my earlier post for the milage its about 14 city and 17 hwy. and when im towing i get about 10 out of overdrive.

goodluck,

robert
    my 96 Dakota 2wd ext. cab with the 318 only got about 12 city. Man was it a pig. Silverado gets about 15 and it's a 4X4 ext. cab. Any of you guys know if the hemi motor (that's been rumored) is going to make it in the Dakota???
    pretty close to a hemi design. I take it by 'hemi' you mean the 354 cid version? It's rumored to appear in the 300 in early to mid 2001 (calendar year) as a 2002 - BUT maybe sooner. The following year, or mid 2002 for a 2003 designation, with the new Maxxcab variant replacement for the Dakota - whatever it is exactly --the 354 cid will replace the 360 cid-- looks angular & weird to me; otherwise neat features. One of the major reasons I didn't buy the Sport-trac was it's weird detached looking plastic bed, and odd interior. I hope the Maxxcab looks more integrated than that.
  • skmorrisskmorris Member Posts: 3
    Since I began this thread, and appreciate the input from all of you, I thought I'd let you know my truck finally got here this morning after three months! There's hope yet for you bookitty. But you're wrong willywill. This one is a 2000 Club Cab SLT, 4 wheel drive, 4.7 L V-8, 4 speed auto that I ordered 12/27/99, not a Quad. Don't see how you got yours so soon. Lucky you. And we live eighty miles from Warren, MI. They kept passing the buck as to why it didn't get here sooner. Today's excuse was the trucking company held it up! Come on, gimme a break. Oh well it's finally sitting out here in my garage at last so I'm happy.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    The PICKUPS Conference has gotten WAY too big....

it is unwieldy to manage, and difficult to use for "newbies". There is entirely TOO much topic duplication, so I will be doing some SERIOUS topic consolidation in the next few weeks, getting us down to not more than 2-3 topics per vehicle type, and ultimately down to 200 topics or less.

THIS weeks consolidation candidates are: F-150's, Silverado's, Dakota's, and Dakota Crew/Quad cabs.

In that vein, please consolidate this Dakota topic to Dodge Dakota - III and continue these discussions there.

Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.