Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cheeseball ads for trucks

RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
After watching some television tonight, I
witnessed two lame ads for trucks.

The first one was the firefighters in the F-150
crew cab. HUH? They could have gotten to the fire
in an Aerostar!

The second was even worse. I caught only the last
bit but I see these two morons talking about how
great their "Truck" (Silverado) is because it has
20 fence posts with the digger in the bed.
Ooohh...WOW! What's that? 400lbs? I also love the
parting shot of the Chevy bluto with the: "GOsh,
it's like they never saw a truck before".
Hmmmm...have these actors?

Any thoughts of cheesy truck ads that you would
like to share? Any ads that are actually informing
to you? Let me know...

Roc
Tagged:

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I never have understood that one. All my "rocks" sit in my yard doing nothing. AHHHHH!!! Now I get it, Just like a Chevy truck. Just kidding.
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    some high priced advertising agency got paid millions of dollars by GM to come up with that dopey "Like a Rock" jingo.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I find the Chevy print adds the stupidest (and I bought one!). Even the brochure is loaded with nonsense marketing babble... "We knew you wanted a tough truck so we built one..." and so on. Useless dribble. I'd prefer to read some hardcore information about mechanical and electrical designs and why they are better.

Maybe they should have two brochures: one for motorheads/engineers and one for fluff consumers.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    or brochures...

I buy the truck that works the best of them all..

....Chevrolet..

,......(and you know it Roc!!!)

- Tim
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Tim,

Been saving the ads and putting them on the walls, eh? LOL!

Remember the stupid Nissan ads?

"Dogs like Trucks!"

HUH? Yeah, well I was going to go Ford until my Cocker-Spaniel told me to buy Nissan. Ruff!! Hmmmm no one likes trucks but you have the approval of the canine world!!
    edd4,
    Isn't that sad though for GM? It's strating to make sense why their trucks cost more.....all of those effective ads....eh-Tim?

"The truck" didn't have a name before 99 but now that it does (Silverado), they call it just a "truck". Well, why spend money on the nameplates?
    Those "effective" ads got Roc to own a chevy for personal...(still got it too)..and he's the Ford man!

I guess all Ford would make anyone a dull boy though....

hehehehehee

- Tim
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    those dum 'one percenter' ads for (I think) GM. Now there's effective marketing - you don't want this truck unless you do more than everybody else.

Or Dodge - Different. Well no one would argue with that, but there would be a lot of arguments about whether that is a good thing.
    I do give Dodge credit for coming out with Radical Ideas.

The 94 style was the first truck that they made to actually sell in numbers. The prowler and viper are radical...as well as the new PT cruiser.

Problem is...they all have one thing that Dodge is famous for....underpowered...Like a hamster on a wheel underpowered..(except the Viper...but look what is costs).

They got the marketing down...(so it does work I guess)...now they just need to learn to make actual solid vehicles with reliable drivetrains.

....But obviously people are buying on looks alone...and I guess that's all that matters for the bean counters.....

- Tim
    Tim,

My Chevy is an 89. I mentioned that Chevy didn't need a "name" if they were going to market it as the "truck".
    Of course, back in 89, Chevy was a viable alternative to the only other real truck maker-Ford.

What am I saying? They are still the only two.....;)
    I get a kick out of the Tundra commercials. The tone gives the viewer the inpression that a half-ton with a small eight is a radically new concept.
    ...Chevy and Ford....The ONLY two that will ever matter....always been that way....always will be.

yeah..Toiletta is a joke....first they need a real full size to be anywhere near comparison..

...and even then....they never will compare....period.

Go back to what you do best Toiletta...make throw away compact cars...

- Tim
    Toyota should include their notorious history of rusting and head gaskets as in: "Have we gone to far or have others not rusted enough?"

Another dork ad: The simple fact that Dodge has that geeky actor as their spokesman. How does he add to their truck reputation?
    kinda says it all for Dodge....don't you?

- Tim
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    think about the ads that aren't necessarily cheesball, but are misleading? What am I talking about? How about the Toyota commercial that claimed their truck could out-tow any of the Big3. But the small print said something like, vs. Ford 4.6 w/3.23 gears and vs. Chevy 4.7 w/3.23 gears, when Toy's come with 3.93's (not to mention that Ford and Chevy have the 5.4 and 5.3, respectively, that will eat the Toy and get just as good MPG if not better). I don't want to get off on a rant here, but they try to make some bold, powerful statements that are on the edge of being true and are not really fair comparisons.

How about Chevy's commercial. "The most powerful V-8". Small print: based on available 3/4 ton 4X4 hp. Yeah, but both Ford and Dodge's big gas engines are V-10's, so again, not apples to apples.

Hopefully most people are smart enough to look past such advertising and don't choose a truck based on crap like that. BUT, I doubt it.
    consumer only watches the commercial or listens to a salesman....not read the fine print.

Gimmicks are how everything is sold now days it seems.

- Tim
    bigsnag,
    Most people aren't smart enough....
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I don't think that any company should be able to quote flywheel horsepower and torque. It's misleading. Sure, Chevy/GMC's 5.3 has more horsepower than Ford's 5.4 and Dodges 5.9, but it also loses more getting it to the rear wheels.

Tim:
    I'm not sure what you mean by Dodges being underpowered, I've been impressed with every Dodge I've driven (at least powerwise). The Neon, the Intrepid, the Ram, and the Dakota... Gas mileage wise, I see your point. The PT Cruiser is reported to be underpowered (only a 4 cylinder offered), but other than that...
    But a 5.9 has less than a 5.3......so who cares if a 360 can come in a Dakota when a 326 has more power??

Ya know?

Aside from rare engines like the Wedge and Hemi...Dodge never really did have the right handle on power....

They tried...

- Tim
    powerisfun,
    How else can they get a standard? Dyno testing? But which company would submit that?
    so Dodge will trail Ford and Chevy....as it's always been....

- Tim
  • icemaniceman Member Posts: 21
    Those Ford truck ads with the obnoxious cartoon gophers are cheesy and annoying as hell.
    gophers? Never saw that one....
    I've never seen that one either. In Vegas the Ford ads have that goofy '70's song, Freak Out only they sing, "Break Out". It's embarrassing.
    never seen that one either goober..

- Tim
    modvptnl,

Oh yeah--they have that stupid jingle here in the Philly area as well. Did you have the edition where the guy is filling his bed with water to convert it to a pool? LOL! Er...BREAKOUT!
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    About those 2 guys in a chevy truck pulling the ford (early 80's wrecker) out of a snow bank, which in turn has a small chevy blazer in tow....You think they are saying, there new sliver is only good enough to pull an old ford out....and then again I doubt if that truck could pull that combo out of a snow bank, while itself was setting in a foot of snow......this rates right up there with fire dept & the super crew one.
  • tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    The Dodge guy is probably good for selling minivans and Neons, but not much else. The Ford guy, the generation x'er that pushes all their vehicles, especially the "outfitter" models, makes me wanna puke. In fact, the whole outfitter thing is just a Madison Avenue gimmick, to sell an image to soccer moms and wanna be outdoors types.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    First of all the tow truck is pulling a ford bronco.

The lamest tv ad is the new ford crew cab spot. What a joke, who would take a chance driving a ford like that in rough terrain? Wow, I wonder how many ford's they used doing that t.v. spot???
    No...That Chevy ad is still the biggest joke. Sure, that Ford may have been stuck but everyone knows that Chevys stay in the garage on a day as such.
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    Folks... You're right about the ads!... Crank hp has nothing to do with rear-wheel hp... Nor does hp have to do with most truck-owners' needs (unless you're hauling a heavy load at high speed over wild gradients)...

For what it's worth, I've been doing competitive comparison training for over 15 year for all of the "big three." The fact is, cars are cars and trucks are trucks! It's all what you feel you need and prefer in a vehicle that counts! All have their upsides and their downsides!

Anecdotal, but perhaps illustrative:

In doing competitive comparison sales training materials for Ford a couple of years ago, the client was AGONIZING the fact that the Chevy engine produced 5 lb-ft more torque than the client's Ford.

So... I came home... Attached a grip to the lid of a pickle jar... Attached a torque wrench to the grip... Damned if it didn't take 5 lb-ft of torque to open that pickle jar!!!

The moral?

Chevy could open one more pickle jar than Ford that year! Phew! Awesome, huh!!!???
    Pickle jar ad!! Sounds like another bowtie ad coming up!!

It's not that far-fetched. They ran those bozo ads with the Tas Devil for the Monte Carlo....
  • bluetazbluetaz Member Posts: 9
    Hey, be careful here! Don't be picking on my buddy taz. I love those commercials. What does it have to do with the Monte Carlo? I don't have a clue. I'm sure not going to run out and buy a Monte Carlo because of the Taz add. Although, My wife was interested in the Chevy Venture because of the Warner Brother's package. That was an awful expensive WB badge on the tailgate.
    Oh brother.........What's next? Tweety Bird in Tundra ads?? And what's up with the fascination with the "Tas devil" character? When I was in the Corps, a fair amount of bozos would have that tattoo on their body. The damn thing doesn't even speak!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    it doesn't speak either....just fast!!
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    Don't know about y'all, but serious truck buyers probably view the Pickup Ads more as entertainment than anything else. Granted, there are those who might find a country singer's praise for a truck compelling... But I would guess that they're not very serious about what the freaking truck will actually do for them!

Interestingly, it seems that the SUV has dimmed the distinction between what is a "truck" and what is a "car." I was with one of my automotive clients recently... He said that he had some source materials I'd need in his "truck," and asked me to help him carry them in.

So... We walked out to his "truck" (a Lincoln Navigator)... JEEZ! It wasn't a "truck"! It was a freaking Lincoln with added ground clearance!!!

Ahh well... Hopefully those of us who appreciate mundane specs such as GVWR, GCWR and axle ratings will still be able to get the straight story from a select few salespeople. In the meantime, I myself will watch the "parade" of so-called "trucks" whimsically!
    I don't own a suv but a Licoln Navigator is more truck than car.
  • gtt1gtt1 Member Posts: 63
    how about the Chevy ad where the Tahoe? is hanging offthe side of a ship in place of a lifeboat? Then it says "Like a Rock" sounds like a good start!:)
    Haven't seen that one......are they using it as an anchor? Best usuage for it! LOL!
    Just saw the "professional" truck ad from GMC. Professional as compared to what? A Chevy??
    Hey, I saw a new chevy blazer add last night competing for the "pointless" award. It was on top of a lighthouse and using the headlights as the spot. I miss the point.

Another stupid add is the women in a foreign SUV wannabe, she step out and says something about"I guess trucks aren't just for guys" What makes that thing a truck. She'd look pretty silly next to my wife in our new super duty.
    This one made no sense, new chevy burb on top of deep snowy mountain with a couple thousand foot drop offs on each side, who's going to take a 50,000 dollar vehicle up there, heck I doubt most see any snow at all....but then again, a burb looks the size of a VW from my SuperDuty.
    www.PictureTrail.com/bowhuntwi
    A new winner in my book for pointless.

A guy standing in the airport as all flights are cancelled. Announcer, "Don't you wish everything was as reliable as your Chevy Truck" Unless chevy is adding wings as an option for '01, what's the point?

Not a truck add, but this one has to be the stupidest, and most tasteless add on television. The brain surgeon that falls asleep during a surgery and patient dies, should have had a POWERBAR. I now wouldn't eat one if given to me free.
    And there's Companies that pays big bucks for stupid commercials. MMMMmm, I wonder what ya need to have for qualifications to write that stuff, better yet........is the person that says thats a wrap.........
    Powerbar? Oh man--didn't see that one....sounds brutal...
    I must be watching too much tv, last night I saw one for the Dodge Durango. With robotic animals sitting, kicking, walking, & running on the durango. I guess it's probably a little better than the chevy ones, but all recent adds are making the Super Crew and the firemen look less and less pointless.
    but I thought it was cool as heck. Playing polo, using Nissan Pathfinders instead of horses on a bluff with sheer cliffs, overlooking the ocean with the Who's Baba O'reily blasting in the background.
    Mod,

You're right--it was dumb but alas....it was hard to get my head to stop humming with the Who!
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.