Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
edited September 2014 in Saab
Enter your buying experience here!

Comments

• gail1gail1 Member Posts: 1
    kbb retail value on the 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible I'm interested in is $17,105 and I'm getting $13,900 from a dealer in Ca. It has 39,250 miles.Ran a carfax and everything checks out OK. Any advice on what I should look out for or is this just a good deal?
    Also, any comments/ experiences with the 99 9-3 conv. would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • ams303ams303 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP was around $33K - purchased the car for $22,800. This is a loaded ARC, non metallic paint, Auto.

Have had the car for 6 months and it's great! Wish I had purchased a Saab years ago. It

Performs exceptionally well
    Is very comfortable on long trips
    Gets excellent gas mileage 26 in town, 33-34 hwy.
    Dashboard controls are very easy to use.

Can't say enough - this is a great car. Cars I've owned in the past 10 yrs are: Volvo 850T, Lexus GS 300, BMW 530 & E320 4matic. This is the best one of all - and was the least expensive!!
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    You bought a new Arc for 22800? 10 K off of sticker? How did you manage that?
  • kouliokoulio Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I found that a little odd as well. Unless it had some crazy miles on it or was previously totalled....
  • rocharcrocharc Member Posts: 18
    I thought I had a good deal I paid invoice minus $3,000 for an Arc a year ago June, roof, winter, cd/wipers, parking assist packages and paint (basically everything but auto, and wheels) which put the car at 29,000 and change (no I don't work for GM) this was when they were really dealing but I guess there were better deals.

I am only slightly jealous I too really like the car.
  • ams303ams303 Member Posts: 2
    Know it's been sometime since my post, but the car had 2K miles on it and had been used by the new car manager. When I purchased it I actually found several others at pricing within 2K of this one.

Seems like dealers had a lot of left over cars that they purchased at the end of 2003, once the Saab deals were coming to an end.

Purchased the car in NY, on Long Island. There were others in NJ. And the closest dealer offered me an '04 Linear for a little under 25K.
  • cwpostcwpost Member Posts: 11
    That is very helpful as I beleive I want to use that same dealer in Glencove, NY. I am looking to purchase sometime in October or November. I was hoping for those end of the year rebates, but I will take a Dealer's Demo also. Have you had any excessive wear and taear problems?
  • dorbeasdorbeas Member Posts: 1
    I need an opinion. I am looking to purchase a new 2004 9-3 Aero which is black, has the cold weather package, and a sunroof. It is a 6 spped manual transmission. The MSRP is 35, 080. I work for Indiana University which is a GM Supplier and the "discount" for that is 33,712. They are offering me a $4000 cash rebate which would bring the price to $29, 712. The invoice (with the advertising, sunroof, etc added) is 33, 371. What do you guys think about this deal?

In my opinion, the GM supplier discount is not really a discount. When you think about it, anyone off the street could walk in and negotiate that price. Basically what it does is prevent the consumer from further negotiating on the car. Do you guys think 29,712 is a good price in Indiana or should I hold out and try to get more knocked off? Any opinions would be appreciated.
  • chalkpiechalkpie Member Posts: 21
    dorbeas -

Every situation is different, but I would try to get that sucker as low as possible. It never hurts to try, and you have nothing to lose, only to gain.

I just got (2 weeks ago) a *new* 2003 9-5 Aero (leftover and purchased by the dealer from Saab) loaded with everything you can think of except the venilated seats for $27,500. They originally were asking $32k+ for it. They came down to $29,900 and at that price it is still a pretty damn good bargain, but I counter-offered with a ridiculous amount of $24,500, in which they said "sorry".

I then made them an offer of $27k even and they said they would split the difference between that and the 29,900, so they offered $28,490 (approx.) I could have taken the car then but I knew I there may be still room to work with, so I talked to the manager directly and said that I was ready to buy TODAY but I will not pay more than $27,500 for the car. He said he'd get back to me, which he did in a few hours. They went for it - and I have been a happy camper ever since.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are really serious about buying that car, you should tell them that you are ready NOW but they have to meet *your* price. Tell them that you can only spend "X" amount and that is all you can afford. What should your price be? That is up to you, but I would try to get that car as close to about $28k or so as I could. Maybe you want to go lower.....that is up to you.

This approach may work or it may not, but worst case scenario is that you can still purchase the car at $29,700.

Bottom line is that every $1000 you save = a huge difference in your monthly car payment. I was seriously considering the '04 TL which is not to be had for under $30k, and the difference I saved by getting the Aero makes a huge difference in my monthly payments. Plus, I am happier than a pig in s*** with my new Saab! I don't regret not buying the TL for one moment.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • carlycarly Member Posts: 7
    Have never purchased a used car before and my head is spinning. KBB for the car is $20,730. Edmunds is $18,287 for this area. Dealer is asking $21,500. The car is "certified"--not sure what that means ---dealer claims I need to add $1,500 to any price I see. Car has 40,500 miles on it. I'm thinking I should look for a newer car. Also hear a funny sound when turning the steering wheel--dealer claims it is covered under the certified warranty--although sticker on car says "As Is".....looking to buy in next 48 hours. Any help appreciated.
  • cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    Don't Do it!!!!

If the car already has 40+K miles, that means it is almost out of the original warranty. The extended warranty, offered on certified Saabs, you have to review the fine print, to see what it really covers.

I have a '98 Saab 900s. I'm at the dealer nearly every other week, or month with problems, after it ran out the warranty.

I bought an extended warranty for $2000, and let me tell you that it hardly covers anything.

Any wear and tear items are not covered under the extension. So, now a light came on, and the dealer claims that I need a new catalytic converter for $2000. Warranty people refused the claim, saying it doesn't cover exhaust. Major service is $600.

If you hear something, as you test drive, then find another car. If you really, really want the car, trying insisting to the saleperson to have them fix it before putting down a dime, or dollar down. Ask him for a CarFax report too.

Keep in mind, they will probably give you the run-around. That happened to me when I was considering a 2003 4matic Mercedes wagon as a replacement. I heard some problems in the test drive, and discovered pre-owned cars weren't being fixed at this dealership before sale. I asked the salesperson if he would repair it.

No, he said. Only if there was a deposit, would he have it serviced He called me several times to follow up, and ask about my interest in it, but still refused to have any servicing done on it, until I put money down. Given that I don't need any more aggravation with a car, I wasn't about to tempt fate.

No repair before purchase, move on!

The Saabs can have multiple problems, and for the price of that car, you can get a new 9-2x, a Mazda, etc. There's many cars in that price range, new!

If you're dying for a Saab, call other dealers to see what other used cars that they have in stock. You can also run searches for pre-owned through Edmunds.com.

Sounds like you need to run from this deal. I've found Saab service to be usually pretty crummy. The dealer does almost anything to welch out of warranty repairs, blame the owner so you pay the costs directly, or make you wait for days to get into service. This goes for the extended warranty people, too.

After the original warranty expires, I really don't know if you will get the roadside assistance.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
  • carlycarly Member Posts: 7
    Thanks a lot!!! I took your advice and "ran" from the purchase of the used Saab. Sharing your experience convinced me. Will check out the Mazda and the new 9-2x. You were a lot help! Thanks again.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    9-2X ? I am still thinking a WRX makes more sense.
    If I were you, I would buy a Certified Saab (it is worth). One thing to keep in mind: Once you own a Saab, it is quiet difficult to get out from it unless your car has a lot problems...People who test drive a Saab usually buy one...I can't get out from it. The driving experience is quiet good and unique (not racing, just enjoy driving the car). I want to sit in my car all the time.
  • expressosaab1expressosaab1 Member Posts: 1
    If you have not already done so, DO IT, considering the DSO of the product line (Saab is nearly 100 days) the dealer would and probably has given you the best deal.

In evaluating the model you hope to purchase, this price seems good
  • jenreb1jenreb1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am looking to purchase a used saab 9 3 convert. a 1999 or 2000, I have driven a couple and one I heard noises in the front end (no thanks!) and the other they were literally asking me to GIVE them my trade-in (laughed and walked out)...

I am going again today to look at another 1999 saab with 57,000 miles on it and all the options I would like - anything I should keep an eye out for ? They have it priced in the 13,000 range which I don't think is unreasonable, but my trade in (according to NADA.com)is worth 11,000, even if they gave me 10,000 or 9500 I would talk but so far they have come up with 8000 ... any ideas or help would be appreaciated !

Thanks,
    Jenn
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    Make sure the car was maintained properly with the right kind of oil, that's important for the longevity of the motor as well as the turbo.
    Check to see if the car doesn't smoke when accelerating, a sign the turbo is on its way out.
    Check to for any clunking noise when shifting in/out of reverse or 1st gear: it could be a bad motor mount (they are expensive to replace).
    If you get a 9-3, make sure you use a high quality full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 and have the spark plugs replaced at 20K at most
    Saabs have a patented knock detection through spark plugs, only the right specs NGK spark plugs gapped correctly need to be used (check the owner manual for more info)
  • kenm08817kenm08817 Member Posts: 3
    Paid MSRP-$5,300 at Paul Miller SAAB, NJ. for 2004 Saab 9-3 linear.
  • insureusinsureus Member Posts: 10
    Please provide me with the details of your deal. What options? MSRP? what did you actually pay? Im looking to purchase a linear or arc in central nj. Thanks
    Base+Auto+Sun Roof+Paint=30070 MSRP
    - 5300(off)= $24,770
  • insureusinsureus Member Posts: 10
    Thats a great deal. Was it a demo or new? Can you refer me to the salepersons name, I want to stop by and see about a similar deal
    thanks
    The deal was a new car.
    It was not a pleasant transaction which was closed at the end of September. I do think you can get a simlar or better deal, even the manager and the salesman said they couldn't do it better than that. BTW, the salesman wasn't happy at all, and I don't think he would like his name posted.
    Good Luck.
  • ephemereephemere Member Posts: 4
    2004 Saab 9-3 Arc + metallic paint + automatic + sunroof + touring + xenon + cold. MSRP = $36,175.

Purchased new off the lot in September for MSRP - $6,485 = $29,690. Fairly relaxed negotiation. SF bay area.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    We don't allow salespeople's names to be posted here anyway - just dealership names/city/state.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    That is a good price!

I bought a black '04 9-3 linear in February of 2004 for about $23K. It's a stick and has the winter package and the nicer wheels.

I really love the car. Very solid and less trouble that the Audi A4 I owned before. The bummer is that I have to sell it now because my family is growing so we have to buy a minivan....I wonder how easy it'll be to sell.
  • jbaerjbaer Member Posts: 45
    I am in the market for leasing a 2005 9-3 linear and have been told that Saab is giving $2500 leash cash. Does anyone know of this deal? Does this mean you get $2500 off whatever price you negotiate? Also what are people getting a base 2005 linear without any extras for these days? I saw one post for 23k which is about $3k off invoice. Is this the norm? Thanks in advance !
  • hhwhhw Member Posts: 1
    I can't decide between the new 2005 Acura TSX and a 2004 9-3 with low mileage. I'd buy a 2004 TSX but I can't find one in my area.

I've always loved Saabs, but everyone I know who's owned one has told me to go with the TSX. Is buying the 9-3 a gamble? Also, since GM purchased Saab, are the maintence costs lower? My sister has a '95 Saab and every time she brings it in to get something fixed it costs her $500+.

Any feedback?

Thank you!
    I have a 9-3 Arc and am very happy with it. A few minor problems, but with a free loaner when you take in for service, it's not a big deal, Mine is also an early 03 and many of the issues have been ironed out. Very fun car and great highway power. And the safety can't be beat. The TSX is a nice car, but it needs to be kept at high RPM's to make it's power. And I have heard the automatic is a bit sluggish (3300+ lb car, 166 max torque).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    With all due respect to mrblonde.. He hasn't owned his car out of warranty or the free service yet.. Or, had to deal with the massive depreciation upon resale...

If you are interested in leasing, the Saab is a nice car, and relatively inexpensive... for the first three years, I would even recommend it..

But, if you want to own the car, I'd buy a new TSX... the '04s that I have seen for sale, don't come with a big enough discount to make them worth buying.. Plus, some '04s will be two years old in April, cutting down on the remaining warranty..

Just my $0.02,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I paid $28900 for my car almost 2 years ago ($34K sticker). Decently high miles (35K). Private party sale price is currently listed around $20K, depending on the source. Not so bad. Remember, the actual depreciation is the difference in what YOU PAY and what you sell it for. Although every stated resource computes it as a % of sticker. If I compared it to sticker, my car is worth 59% of it's original value. Compared to what I paid, though, that figure is 69%. And in the case of the Saab, you are always getting a lot off sticker. Not so w/ Acura

To the original poster, I would suggest a back to back test drive of both cars. Each has plusses and minuses. Buy what makes you happy
    mrblonde... that is good advice..

I didn't meant to rag on your car.. I think actual value will be less and actual depreciation will be greater than you estimate... but, that is only my opinion..

As you say, if it makes you happy, that is what counts...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    is about Prices Paid & Buying Experiences of a Saab 9-3. If you would like to talk comparisons of which vehicle to purchase, please use the pulldown menus to locate discussions about the vehicles you are considering and asking your comparison questions there.

Thanks!
  • niikiiniikii Member Posts: 3
    for $27,750.
    Base (Manual Trans.)+ Paint+ Sunroof+ Heated Seats. at Parkfield Motors in Bergenfield, NJ.
    The buying experience was okay, no complaints.

The car is great!!
  • shmaltzshmaltz Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

Can anybody relate new lease experiences? I have always bought used in the past. I'd like to know about your experiences with negotiated prices, money factor, residual, etc.

Thanks,

Shmaltz
  • saabdriver9saabdriver9 Member Posts: 2
    I got my 9-3 Aero this year for $37,890. It's Flame Red Metallic with a Parchment interior. I am purchasing it, but I think a lease would be good, too. I just loved the car so I boght it.
  • go8go8 Member Posts: 58
    Yesterday, I leased a new 9-3 linear premium package/heated seats/chili pepper red. The money factor is low (.00011). The residual for 36 months is 48% with 10k miles. The deal I got was invoice minus 1000 gm cash minus 2700 lease incentive. I think the total lease incentive was 3500 so dealer kept 800. I was pleased. Money factor and residual can't be negotiated. Mileage will impact residual. More miles lower residual. I also asked dealer to roll tax and bank fee into lease because I wanted to minimize up front cash. It seemed to make sense since interest rate was about 0.26%.

Hope this helps.

Go8
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    How about telling us what your payment is instead of having us run the numbers ourselves? Thanks!
    $349.50 for 36mths. Includes 6% NJ sales tax and $695 bank fee. Let me know if you see better. Thanks.

Go8
    I think that is a pretty good deal. I am actually looking to lease a 9-3 linear as well and was hoping to be in the $300 ballpark. Was it fairly easy to get them to go to invoice? I heard the lease cash incentive on the 9-3 linear was $2500 and $3000 on the 9-5. I like the chili red too...didn't think I would like it until I saw it. Enjoy your car !
    That is a great deal...

For those that need 15K/year, add on about $30/mo..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The dealer pretty much started at invoice. He then took off 1000 GM cash and 2700 Saab incentive. There must be some hidden dealer benefits that I don't know about because if the forums are right he gave me everything and more.

Go8
    The saab dealer holdback is 2.2% of MSRP. So basically if they gave you EVERYTHING....the 1000 cash bonus and the entire lease cash incentive, the dealer is still making around $600 (29K x 2.2%). Which is fine by me. They have to make a living too. I just hope they continue the lease cash and cash bonus until May when I am planning on buying one. How do you like it so far? Is the stereo as bad as people say it is?
    Thanks for the info. Now I feel better. I didn't even notice the stereo. I guess I am getting too old.

Go8
    No problem. I think you got a great deal...I hope to do as well in May. As for the stereo I'm sure its fine. Anything will sound better then my 1994 Mazda protege ;-)
    Anyone hear what the March Madness deals look like for Saab? I saw GM was kicking off a new campaign giving $1000 for each car that has been on the dealer's lot since Oct '04. I didn't know if they offered any more rebates. Tough time to sell cars.

Go8
  • benalbrightbenalbright Member Posts: 2
    Saab has reportedly been offering $3000 for purchase for several months, plus an additional $1000 that ended yesterday. I was ready to put a downpayment on an Aero last night but the dealer told me to expect even better deals next week. Hope he's right or we may be getting a TL.
  • madmax252madmax252 Member Posts: 12
    Sounds like you got yourself an honest dealer. I bought my Arc (automatic trans, heated seats, sunroof, metallic paint) on the last week of December 2004. After taxes and the $3K rebate, the final OTD price came to $31,900. Funny to see how much the prices have gone down in the past few months. I should have waited a month or two for better deals but I just had to have it!
    Shoulda coulda woulda. You can't beat yourself up that prices changed after you bought your car. As long as your happy with what you got at the time you bought it, you did OK.

Go8
  • jq31jq31 Member Posts: 5
    Saab has an offer right now - $250/mo lease on the '05 linear. I thought I was going to walk in there, plop-down my $3K inception and sign on the line for $250 monthly payments. Am I being naiive? Do I need to crunch numbers and try to wrangle a better deal? I've never leased before . . .
    I saw that deal for 24 months. It also assumes an msrp of $27,570 (10k per year), which is pretty much a stripped down model that they probably have very few if any in stock. I would suggest contacting the dealer and finding their money factor and residual and crunch the numbers yourself. See how much you have to subtract from the msrp to get to the advertized lease expense. That will give you and idea of how much the dealer is making and if there is room to do better. Also, try running the numbers assuming a different msrp (auto/prem package/heated seats) and see what happens. When I did a deal Mar 9th the money factor was .00011 which is about 0.26%.

Good luck.

Go8
  • novice1novice1 Member Posts: 1
    Been on the fence for buying a new car for sometime (dislike my 4 cylinder Camry). Hate car payments and whole car buying experience. Anyway I live in SF Bay Area. Been offered the following. Is this a good deal? Has anyone else done better? Going back to dealer tomorrow. Deal good thru 3/31.

2005 Arc, Driver Package $29,995
    2005 Arc, No Drivers Package $28,500

0% Financing for 2 years.
    Was told that this was $4K of MSRP.
    Forgot to ask if this comes with sunroof.
This discussion has been closed.