Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hutch79hutch79 Member Posts: 5
    Howard, wanted to add also look into Pentagon Federal Credit Union (if you are not a government employee, or don't know anyone who is it is about $20 donation to join). They have a current 4.25% financing for new car loans you choose your term (up to 72 months). Obviously it is probably more leg work on your end, but the whole process went very smoothly.
  • cpa_howardcpa_howard Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for those valuable information.
    I'll try to apply PFCU, the rate is good. There're only 3 dealers around me (LA area), I just used edmund's quotation. Hope they'll apply soon. By the way, where do you live? You really got a good deal.
  • hutch79hutch79 Member Posts: 5
    My husband and I live in the NY/NJ Metro area. Glad I could help. We drove our new car the whole weekend and absolutely love it (and I am not even a car person).
  • rob136rob136 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the Saab board and have recently started talking to dealers regarding both the 9.3 2.0T and the 9.3 Aero.I am looking for a new model to lease for 2 years(10k miles/year) which includes winter package,metallic paint,sunroof,and manual transmission.So far I am getting price quotes of approximately 31k for the 2.0 which the dealer states is "..even lower than the invoice price".The lease with zero down works out to more than 500/month.I would appreciate any leads where I can find a price of approximately $28k as posted previously.In addition do you recommend a 2.0T or an Aero?AWD or FWD on the Aero?I live in NE Ohio.One final note.One dealer was advertising a 2.0 T with essentially no options for $299/month and zero down which ended on Memorial Day.I am a regular customer of the dealership(also a Porsche dealer) and they will not offer this deal any longer.I would appreciate any thoughts regarding this matter.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Even lower than the invoice price, thats beautiful. No opitons for $7,2000 for two years, priceless, your getting ripped.
    This was my sixth Saab, never pay near sticker, be ready for large depreciations, always have, seem to remain the same since my first in 86.
    Go to Zack @ Downers Grove Saab in Chicago, 43 Saabs online and on lot, with MSRP and their price listed, no talking, offers, go to Luxury Motors.com then Saab Downers Grove, pay as marked, 43 Saab 9-3's in stock! I flew Southwest one way to Midway Airport, a cab to pick up the car ($200) from St. Louis. St. Louis long time dealer would give me my $1000 Saab loyality after two hours of negotiation at the dealer. Downers Grove, did the deal on the phone with mastercard in 10 minutes. They have about 70 08 Saabs in Stock part of Luxury Motors, best price in United States. I emailed twenty Saab dealers with what I wanted, said I would buy in 24 hours. Be ready for emails and calls like your a stock trader on the floor. Some with good offers, but nothing near this dealer. Bought, brand new sticker $37,885.00 2008 9-3 Aero, 6 miles. Remember, all Aero options (which is a loaded base) come with the 6 (I preferred a 4 cyl, but that is show biz) plus seats you can't get on a base (Aero, wrap around buckets, better leather, the leather that used to be standard on all saabs, xenon headlights, sunroof, 17" wheels, Bose Centerpoint, dual power front seats. Add, cold weather, which gives you the heated seats, which used to also be standard and Saab invented. Auto transmission with shifting paddels on steering wheel (not sure I will ever use that), Fussion Blue Mettallic (preferred Ice Blue, but they did not have, had too many silvers and blacks in my Saab past). Price, out the door and on the highway home in 20 minutes after arriving at dealer $30,410 (which also included my $1000.00 saab loyal bucks) and documentation and license fees of $200. No loaner, no flood car (as other dealers would try to tell me) 6 miles, full tank of gas. Get a base 9-3 black with stick for $23,900. Biggest Saab dealer I ever saw. In this economy, be careful, many salesmen and dealers will try to stick you for 5K in a heartbeat or 6K at my dealer in St. Louis area. These guys are straight up, so ask Zac about the guy from St. Louis, told him I would post to fellow lookers. Good luck. They have been taking in 3-4 SUVs a day in trades.
    Also, $2197 less than TMV for my Zip in St. Louis which I went out of, post 422
    My dealers would not come near TMV pricing. TMW was Too Many Villans in my zip code range. Give them a price, if Chicago is too far, give a what it would cost to get there on top of it, if the don't take it, run, Forest, run.
    Don't negotiate, one offer, you will not win and wast hours and ruin your day.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Perhaps you can explain how you can achieve that kind of price.I sell Saabs for a living....heres the true info:(based on a dealer invoice for an"08 Aero with MSRP of $37,865) gms price(gm employee price,invoice minus 4%, minus all market advertising charges...the best possible price available to the consumer,if eligible) is @$35,080.65.Dealer cash $2,500,June purchase bonus cash $1,000.00,Saab owner loyalty $1,000.00. Net price before taxes and tags @$30,580.85. You claim you took delivery at a price $170.00 below dealers net/net cost (net/net being invoice price minus market advertising charges,dealer holdback,and all available dealer and customer incentives)???? Why would a dealer sell any car at an absolute total ZERO sum profit.In light of the fact that it was in stock I assume he paid some bank floor plan interest on the car! At your claimed purchase price the dealer would have been better off never taking the car into inventory! If you are in fact eligible to buy the car under the GM Employee purchase program you do anyone reading your post a disservice by not stating that fact ...if you are not,then your story is just that... a story!
    I have explained in the the posting, I buy them for driving.
    Downers Grove Saab, view Luxury motors dot , then go to Downers grove Saab.
    I said the same thing, called and asked is this a mistake. You want a copy of the paperwork? I don't claim it, I did it. I am eligible for the GM supplier discount, but they would not accept it, for the price was below. Why won't you take the truth? You need a invoice copy sent to you? You needs my email? I gave you the name of the dealer, the listings on line, how the MSRP is listed, then their price, no crap with all the numbers, heres the price, write a check, what else do you want? Its a good deal, I shared it, don't call me a liar. As I said, there was 43 just 9-3's on the lot? How many you got? My dealer in west county in St. Louis had about 10, but would even walk with me or look up the inventory on their files to see which one had what options, told me to go look myself (in the rain) while he sat in the break room and had lunch. Offered me 9K and 1k Saab Loyalty, after goig in there since 1986, that is not going to work anymore. The old days of going to the back room are over son. Sometimes you salesmen don't know all, you don't know all the incentives a very large dealer gets? I have sold (with an MBA for 20 years and still learn). Don't accuse the buyer, don't blast another dealer, it makes you look bad. I got screwed on Saabs and dealers by paying several grand more in the past, those days are over. Will give you a posting from the site on the next post. If you can't buy the car there at that price and I listed everything on the post above, then reading the post is your problem. The figures are right from my invoice. 5K on MC to hold, then another 5K for max on Mastercard for a total of 10K for airline points. Then the rest by check. 6 miles, brand new, you almost got to feel guilty selling all those Saabs at those prices your did, don't you? Luxury Motors is the largest buyer in the nation, volume works. Why would I want to make this crap up and post it, I don't have time for that. All the truth, nothing but the truth, I swear to GOD. I made an error, listed the salesmans name, and the website, cant you visit it and then tell us what you see?? Call the dealer and tell us what you hear? Or keep giving people the shaft. Heck, the offered me coffee, a coke, let me use and office for a webcast meeting, treated me like gold.
    My dealer (front end) treats me like crap, service is good, but its a new salesperson everymonth that does not know a damn thing about how the car is engineered or why. Next post will give you the clues since you didn't get it from the last post. Do a carfax on my VIN and see when it was sold? VIN YS3F H41U 8113 1763. Then look on Ebay, 2002 9-5 Aero's sold in the last week, and see my 9-5 sold with 38K for 13 grand even. Contact the seller there (ME) if you still have doubts, notice where the owner lives (same town).
    Go to Luxury Motors dot something (not web address)
    Hit the Saab Logo

Look at the cars: Here is a cut and paste:
    2008 SAAB 9-3
    9-3 AERO
    Exterior: Silver
    Interior: BLACK-PARCHMENT
    Original MSRP: $39,305
    Luxury Sale Price: $32,495

Now, since you sell for a living, EXPLAIN?
    008 SAAB 9-3 Convertible
    9-3 AERO CAB
    Exterior: White
    Interior: BLACK-PARCHMENT
    Original MSRP: $51,325
    Luxury Sale Price: $41,995 Stock #: 1300
    Mileage: 8 miles
    SAAB Downers Grove
    Luxury Motors

Thats 20% quick round math, 20%, no negotiation needed, can you beat it Saabicp? Or because you can't you revert to the name calling of the consumer?

Above, highest MSRP for any Saab they have in stock, this is a cut and paste anyone that can find this site can find this car? Go to Luxury.something, then click on the Saab logo. It's like buying a Saturn, but easier, the price is right on the Internet, so no running to the back room to talk to mystery man,or woman making me waste half my day. Playing all the numbers games and percents, like your post. Thats the TRUTH my friend, NOW lets see if you can be a good salesman and admit it? :surprise:

Sometimes somebody changes the was business is done (Apple, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.) and many can't understand, you call me a liar, say it is just a "story" (why would I want to do that)? It's because you don't take the time to do your homework and just verify the price, the dealer, etc.

Look at the brands this Luxury dealership carries, Saab is the lowest end car and they are the only Saab dealership connected with Luxurydot, add it all up, then you can understand with margins on the other lines how it can be done and make money. I don't know, I see the price, the car is new, its a Saab dealership, why not buy it with 50K/4year warranty? Tell me?
    The funniest thing in your inarticulate,grammatically comical rant is your claim of holding an MBA! I simply stated the facts of what the costs are on a car such as the one you posted,minus all real and potential profit and any and all dealer and consumer rebates.That price was higher than you claimed to have paid.Your response is a tirade against dealers selling $40k products at a reasonable profit.Did you not attend the classes dealing with the structure of a free market economy?Do you feel the same way about the merchants who sell you the other goods you use in your day to day life? The only logical thread I can glean from your post is this dealer apparently makes large enough margins on their other car lines to be essentially a clearing house zero profit source for Saab customers.What would be the point?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Regardless... you can check out the website.. They are showing big, big discounts on brand-new Saabs..

As a buyer, I don't really care why or how.. just where..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

First, readers who want a Saab at a good price go to luxury motors on the net, click on the Saab symbol, look at MSRP and their price at Downers Grove Saab in Chicago. I bought one last week, they are great, largest Saab dealer I ever saw.
    I am 50 plus years of age, this is my fifth Saab and a so called Saab salesman attacks me and calls me a liar and that I made up a story. Please tell me if I am lying and making this up, maybe it was all a dream, but for some reason, there is an 2008 Saab Aero in my garage now for my wife an daughter to use at the price I posted. Now I would skip the below if your looking for information on prices paid and experience, this is the experience you will encounter at this Saab salesman's place of employment.

Now if you want to change the board to, "Saab Salesmen teach buyers how to post grammatically correct, let me indulge you.

“Perhaps you can explain how you can achieve that kind of price?
    I sell Saabs for a living.... (Finish the sentence, multiple periods will cost you your "A" grade) here’s the true info (information, lets not abbreviate a word in a formal grammar correct setting, also please do not do this on your resume. You have a overuse of parenthesis, remove them and read the sentance without them, see if your sentence still is viable, does it have a noun and verb?

(Based on a dealer invoice for an"08 Aero with MSRP of $37,865) GM's (your manufacturer and Mr. Wright your CEO of General Motors and Saab's parent, would prefer when their corporate name is used, use the trademarked version, not small letters for once the largest company in the entire world.

price (GM's employee pricing, invoice minus 4%, minus all market advertising charges... Multiple periods are just not grammatically correct, your down to a "B" at best now.

the best possible price available to the consumer, if eligible) is $35,080.65.Dealer cash $2,500, (your not putting a space after a comma, now your down to a "C", once I could take, but you do it with both comma's and periods.

June purchase bonus cash $1,000.00,Saab owner loyalty $1,000.00. Net price before taxes and tags $30,580.85. You claim you took delivery at a price $170.00 below dealers net/net cost (net/net being invoice price minus market advertising charges, dealer holdback, and all available dealer and customer incentives)????

Don’t use four questions marks in a row, now your down to a "D", you have a 1.0 GPA now.

I claimed that I purchased the car for the stated price in my post, then I put the dealers name, the link to the site, but you will not do the work, you added all the math. Then you called me a liar and this is only a "story".

Consumer's do not care about about these things, they want the price, pay it and go on with life. The price paid out the door is what the consumer wants Mr. Saab sales for a living.

Why would a dealer sell any car at an absolute total ZERO (does zero need to be all caps when you are the one worried about a proper linguistic correct posting?)
    Got to flunk you here Mr. I do this for a living, you get a F.

In light of the fact that it was in stock I assume he paid some bank floor plan interest on the car! (Two spaces after ending a sentence junior, we can't go lower on the grading scale).

At your claimed purchase price the dealer would have been better off never taking the car into inventory! If you are in fact eligible to buy the car under the GM Employee purchase program you do anyone reading your post a disservice by not stating that fact ... (again, now that you turned a topic around price and buying experience into an attack on my degree and posting, gosh, I hope you text message also in all perfect grammar also), again what would be the purpose of me lying and making up a “story” ?

I am just letting others know about a good price and buying experience, you turned it in to a personal attack and even had the brains to say you’re a Saab salesman, nice image you give yourself and the company and your dealer.

If you are not, then your story is just that... a story! (Again, it’s the truth, now my family and I are going to enjoy a movie for we saved a ton of money on our new Saab, or fifth, probably more than you will sell with the way you attach others).

I suggest you read the following Saab 9-5 by Anders Tunberg, this will give you insight into your product. Then read Mr. Saab by Page One publishing, on the tale of Erik Carlsson "on the roof", this will also help you learn about your product. Then read Iaccocca An Autobiography, it will show you that safety does not sell cars (Chrysler was the first to put seat belts in all cars).

Be honest, tell others the 2008 9-3 fell in safety rankings, it did not obtain as high of scores as previous years of 2007 and 2006.

Now I have had an 86 900 spg, a 92 9000 Griffen (one of only 350 made at 42KMSRP, this one put off retirement by 3 years with all the repairs). Then a 99 9-5 SE, with a 6 cyl, perfect car, not one problem. Then a 2002 Saab Aero wagon, recently sold on Ebay last week, one can email me through there if they can not find this deal above still. Now a 08 9-3 Aero (we like the seats), I bought five, how many have you bought? These are only one car in three we have in the family, but enough, if you have not got the message, you never will and I have given you too much of my time as probably most of your customers do. Try to improve, not criticize others, when you have never met them. Try not to call them a liar, and that they made up a story, you just lower your credibility and the organization your represent in sales. Take it from someone who has sold for 29 years and is getting ready to retire, what your doing is only hurting you and your product. ;)
    im crushed.........!!!!!!!! lol :P
    I concede the fact that this Saab dealer in question is in fact advertising '08 Saabs at prices which defy economic logic.What I mean by that I attempted to explain by documenting the costs to a dealer on a representative car thereby showing that the advertised price by the dealer was virtually,and on some cars..literally,an absolute zero profit proposition for the dealer.In SMU's case they weren't even creating a potential service customer.The point I would like to make is that this dealership is doing tremendous harm to the Saab brand by selling below any price which would be viable for the stand alone Saab franchise to compete with.It destabilizes the market .Yes,it's a BIG win for the consumer!If customers like SMU really have a sense of brand loyalty,then they should consider patronizing the dealers who are commited to trying to keep Saab viable in the North American marketplace.My apologies for making him the focus of a frustration more reasonably directed at Saab of Downers Mills.Quite frankly,I strongly suspect that they could care less if Saab
    is still selling cars in the U.S. five years from now,something which I care greatly about.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    To be fair, the dealer selling at that price hurts only other dealers, not saab. Saab sells more cars, and more parts in the future, etc...

Those are some amazing prices. A 9-3 for 24K? I mean, wow. An accord EX-L is about the same on carsdirect.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If you check out the website, you can see that they also have over 40 units of '07 Saab 9-3s...

My guess is that there was a major incentive from GM to take all of that old inventory....

Either way... Chicago is a cut-throat high-line car market.. I bought an almost new BMW there a few years back.. Well worth the $109 plane ticket and using up a Saturday to save $1500...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    that Chicagoland is a cutthroat car market- both high line and regular line; I remember the '07 Accord clearance last year, several Chicagoland Honda dealers had Accords at prices at least $3000 below what my local Nashville dealers were quoting me.

So many dealers, so many cars, and yet so few buyers.. Hmm.. Shall we apply a bit of supply and demand?

Downers Grove still has all those '07 Saabs? If only I hadn't already bought the Altima... :P
  • joeslackerjoeslacker Member Posts: 10
    Don't people do some research before they even think about Saab?
    1. A 3 yr-old 93 convertible with MSRP $40k+ is worth now $15k in the market.
    2. It's a US car with a not-even-luxuy-closed sweden logo and unreliable junk.
    The comparison is clear, a 2006 bmw 325 is still worth $25k plus, a 2006 saab 93 sedan is around $15k. Maybe there is no comparison at all, a truly luxury and sporty brand versus a junk.
    If you have the budget and look for a luxuy and sporty car, bmw or MB is your choice. Or just buy a GM or honda. Believe it or not, a 3 yr-old civic worths more than your Saab.
    It's funny that GM put a Saab logo on chevy trailblazer and expect people to pay extra $10k. A '05 trailblazer is selling for $10 or 11 grants, how much do you think a Saab 9-7 could worth, 500 bucks more?
    Go figure.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    To be fair, almost no one pays anywhere near MSRP on a new Saab, while almost everyone pays very close to sticker on a new BMW.
    That garbage you posted is not worthy of a response.
    Yes, no one 'would' pay a MSRP for a car like Saab because GM gives a luxury price tag for a non-luxury unreliable car.
    Anyway used car market data says it all, look at the depreciate rate. If you were a 05 Saab owner, ask yourself how much is your car worth in the market now? Emunds, craigslist have all the data to prove it. Wake up folks.
    And you're bothering to waste your time posting on a Saab thread?

Go ahead and buy your BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. It's a free country- buy whatever European luxury car you want.
    You got that right,jchan2!!!1This guy takes the time to sign on to the Saab forum just so he can piss on our shoes? Based on the grammar and spelling in his posts I don't think he could afford the car he's dissing!
    Well, i didn't mean to raise the heat like this. Just some realistic data for
    the buyers to stay away unreliable car, that's what emunds for.
    And here comes another big american, yes, I am not american and I don't need
    to speak native tongue to afford a bmw or mb. My US company is paying me
    well here as a 'business analyst' because my ivy mba. I'm sitting here, have
    my donuts and coffee, run some numbers, then here comes the monthly paycheck
    that is enough to buy a brand new civic, plus the bonus at the end of the
    year. I wouldn't call it a wealthy life yet but enough to cover my luxury needs.
    He's a troll. Just ignore him, the moderators will kick him off eventually.
    How's the dealing on '08 9-3s these days? Should we be looking for a Saab Clearance anytime soon, like last year? Sales seem to be waaay down across the board this year for everybody...
  • themaitthemait Member Posts: 2
    Hi all---just joined because of this thread....

I am looking into purchasing a 2008 Saab. Test drove one the other night and it seemed like a great car. Unfortunately the Blazer that I am driving..the transmission is going and I am not sure how much longer I can hold out---or if it is likely that I will see greater deals later in the year. Anyway, I am looking at the 9-3, either the normal or the Aero. From the dealerships around the Detroit Metro area, they are currently offering incentives of 3500 off, I think they mentioned a 500 dollar gas card...and talked about getting financing for 5 years around 5%. I also am planning on using the family and friends GM discount.

Obviously the dealers aren't going to tell me...but is this a typical incentive package...or does history demonstrate that they will only get better with time closer to the end of the year? I also asked and was told that the 09's were probably not coming in until late fall. Not sure if I can hold out that long---but if I can-am I likely to see a huge price drop and big savings packages? First real car purchase that I am making myself, doing the research, etc...would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    I seriously doubt the discounts will be as good as last year, when there was $4000 in customer cash, combined w/ $2000 in dealer cash, so essentially you got $6000 off without too much haggling...

I'm guessing the incentives might go up another round; although if you intend to finance the car through the 2.9% APR program, the 9-3 hasn't had anything below 5.9% on it lately, so I'd pounce. (okay, the GM 72 hour sale was an exception, but the 0% APR only applied to cabrios)

I'd start at invoice minus holdback-ish and subtract all those incentives, then work my way up, although if you're using GM Family & Friends, the price is pre-negotiated so you shouldn't have a problem.
  • themaitthemait Member Posts: 2
    I glanced at this Luxury Motors dealership over near Chicago---I guess I need to do more research into them...but with them being about 2-4K less than local dealers in the Detroit area...does anyone know if they also go along with Saab incentives...like the 3K or the financing rates?

Thanks for the info jchan
    I bought a 9-3 aero May 29th that had a MSRP of $37,865, it was a model listed on their website, $30,660 their price, I called, used a MC , put down a deposit and bought it, deal done. Southwest Air to Chicago $80, HM limo $100 to dealer with tip, but at about 3-4K less after I sat there and played the haggle game for 2 hours and this is the dealer I used for service for 12 years, I'm sorry, 3-4K is too much to blow to have a good "relationship" with my dealer.
    It was just too easy. 5 hour drive, I am home, deal done.
    All follow up from Downers Grove (Luxury Motors) has been great, follow up from Saab great, invitation to Aero Academy, etc. No problems. New car, 6 miles, also put a full tank of gas it, had me look it over several times for any little scratches. Gave a full in service on all the functions, etc. Largest Saab dealership I have ever seen. Believe me, fine, if not, I really don't care, they sell it what they advertise it with, other dealers can't handle it, maybe its a better way for a consumer to buy a car that may catch on?
    Their advertised price may have already had all the incentives factored in; I know when I tried to get a price quote from my local Saab dealer last year they said they would discount $4000, but basically they just applied the $4000 cash back on the 2007 models I was looking at.

I would take invoice price, subtract everything, and then work my way up from there; the dealing should be pretty good on Saabs (or for that matter, pretty much anything larger than a Honda Civic) whether you're buying or leasing; the whole market is down as a whole, and from reading TrollhattanSaab, Saab's had a bad year this year.
  • barney888barney888 Member Posts: 1
    I'm picking up this car in San Francisco on Saturday. It has: Bose audio, 17" wheels, Cold Weather Package, moonroof, auto trans. The dealer quoted $27,709. As near as I can figure, the MSRP is about $34K. I'm getting a good deal on my trade-in, too. Buying it at Ellis Brooks Auto Center.
  • alfaraceralfaracer Member Posts: 9
    Any information or experience on current pricing of 08 Aeros? Saab site shows $5500 off MSRP. Are dealers going well below that? The 09s are starting to hit the lots, I would think pricing on 08s would start to get agressive. Thanks!
  • bhggnbthmbhggnbthm Member Posts: 9
    I was haggling with one the other day trying to get him to budge off more than that number. It didn't seem like he was willing to negotiate too much less than the $5,500. And with that they're quoting a pretty agressive rate if you're looking to finance through GM......he had it at 6% + for 60 months from what I could gather. Funny thing was he had about 40 some 2008's (Combined Aero and Sport) on the lot. Dealer just 30 minutes up the road from him had another 25. I would assume they'll start getting a little more agresive at the end of this month?

Let me know what you hear though. I'm hoping to do something in the next 30 days.
  • alfaraceralfaracer Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the information. Suppose it depends on if some of the 5500 is coming out of the dealer's profit margin.

I did just drive an 08 Aero XWD, MSRP $40,050. Minus the $5500 would be $34,550. Dealer quoted $32,275 by email the day after my drive, I am in the Philadelphia area.

I also hope to do something in 30-45 days. Seems like the time is right if you want a Saab. I'll post my experiences when I try to purchase. Good luck with yours!

BTW, the XWD was a blast to drive!
    a lot of dealers haven't seen the volume they'd like to see, so they're trying to squeeze all the margin they can out of each vehicle.

I think you should be able to get the car for invoice, before the $5500/cash back easy; there seems to be a glut of the 2008 models sitting around.
  • crs4_00crs4_00 Member Posts: 10
    Hi All,

I am interested in buying my first Saab and have a couple questions. First, the dealer with the car of interest is not in my area so I have not seen the car in person but he keeps telling me it is a 2006 ARC convertible. My research on Edmunds indicates that a 2006 should be a 2.0T or Aero. I am also told it has a 6sp manual, weren't they 5sp in 2006. The car in question has the 2.0 engine. So ,were any 2006 Saab convertibles sold as ARCs?

Given the state of car sales, any idea on a fair price? They are asking $20 with no haggling at all. The car is manual with no other options as far as I can tell but I guess that would depend if it is an ARC or 2.0T? Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Lastly, is there anything I should watch for or check out in a used 2006 convertible? This is a CPO car.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • elvis2kelvis2k Member Posts: 4
    Chris,

If there's any question about the car's specs, have them send you the car's VIN, and then carfax it--so you know exactly what you'll be buying.

Have them send you pics too. That could make identification easier.

I have no idea about price...depends on mileage and condition of course.

Saab Central is a good site to get opinions from actual owners:
    http://www.saabcentral.com/forums
  • crs4_00crs4_00 Member Posts: 10
    The free CARFAX offered by the dealer indicates it is a 2006 which should mean it is a 2.0T and not an ARC from all I have read. The car has always been in Florida but was purchased at auction in mid September by the dealer and they certified it for the CPO program. Anyone have an idea of price to offer? Dealer offered it at $19,900.

Chris
  • combiluvcombiluv Member Posts: 1
    I'm posting to share that there is a Pepper Green/Parchment 08 9-3 SportCombi at the dealership in Austin with 3k miles, selling for $21,500 (including a $1,000 Saab loyalty discount for current owners). I know this because I almost bought it before settling on another SC loaner with a few more miles for $20k.

The cars were eligible for new car financing so I feel like I literally stole the farm on this deal. I went in looking for a used 06' and walked out a very happy guy.

Awesome car!
    A lot of people refer to the 2006 2.0T model as the "Arc", as the Arc models of 2003-2005 had the same 2.0T 210 hp. engine, while the Linear had a smaller 2.0t (175 hp) engine... So the terms Arc and 2.0T can be used interchangeably.

I'd offer $18,500, see where they counter, and settle on $19K, before taxes. A lot of the '07s and '08s are going at fire sale prices too... It's a Saab.. the depreciation is going to be tremendous...
    Is it a stick by any chance?
  • jkcars123jkcars123 Member Posts: 3
    Hi -- Thinking about purchasing my first Saab, 2006 9-3 with 25k files plus 3 1/2 years left on bumper-to-bumper warrantee. They’re asking 19,900, which seems a bit higher than what I’ve seen on various sites for retail value. I have a 2003 GLS Passat wagon with 60k miles in good/fair condition (few scratches) that I’ll trade in. Trade in value is around 6k. If I try and bring down the Saab price, I’m afraid they’ll low-ball me on the trade in. Any ideas how best to transact this?
  • bluffsbluffs Member Posts: 8
    $19000 for Saab'06 is way too much, offer $12-13000.
    Here in Boston area you can buy brand new '08 9-3 for this money.
    Dealers are overloaded with '08 and struggle for sales.
    Local dealer offered me brand new base '08Saab 9-3 manual(sticker $28k) for $16495.
    Saab residual(36mon./12K) thruogh an independent bank is horrible - %40.
  • bhggnbthmbhggnbthm Member Posts: 9
    $16,495? Was that a demo vehicle, or brand new? Do you have the name of the dealer that's offering that model for that price? I live in Baltimore and would honestly consider flying up and driving back down for that deal.

I looked at a new 2008 2.0T (not a demo) a couple of weeks ago and with an MSRP of $35 and change, was offered $27,500. I'm hoping to get another $2-$3 at a minimum off for the car in the next month if it's not sold. Thinking that with the large inventory, they're going to have to start cutting prices to move them.

If you don't mind passing along the name of that dealer I would be interested in contacting them for another model that's automatic and has some other features. Thanks.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    There is a saab dealer in downers grove,illinois [near chicago] that is part of Luxury Motors dot com that has cars listed for 10-12 off msrp. Check them out --- you can negotiate over the phone or online and go pick it up or have it shipped to you. There are several in the low to mid 20's. Brand new.
    No he did not offer you a new '08 for $16495. If it were true and you didn't by it immediately you would have to be an economic idiot.
    No he did not offer you a new '08 for $16495. If it were true and you didn't by it immediately you would have to be an economic idiot.
  • jkcars123jkcars123 Member Posts: 3
    Update:
    OK I think I know where you got those prices from. I called Herb Chambers in Boston and asked about 4 9-3's that ranged from 13k-16.9k which was much lower than prices here in CT. He informed me that these were not Certified Pre-Owned and you would be left with only 2yrs warrantee or 50k miles. For CPO, the price can be about 3k more. The one I’m looking at has 3.5 years left and up to 100k miles (which I’ll never reach in that time). Hence, my 19.9 number is not that far off. That said, no one is buying cars so I may try and bring the price down to around 19ish. Stay tuned, the dealer is letting me bring the car home overnight.
This discussion has been closed.