Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jkcars123jkcars123 Member Posts: 3
    Update 2:
    Well I went for it, we got a g off the asking price and gave me a bit under what I wanted for the trade-in (VW passat wagon 1.8Tmanual 60k miles) $5350, but they deal with wholesalers only and I didn't want the hassle of selling myself to get more. Got a good interest rate over 4 years so overall the package is pretty good. Picking up the car tomorrow and we'll go from there!
  • joel21joel21 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2008 9-3 2.0T manual (no options) a couple of weeks ago at Charles River Saab. Accounting for the exact KBB price for my trade, I paid $18,700, no owner loyalty or lease termination rebate. As the sales manager said, "that's Camry territory."
  • audiedgeaudiedge Member Posts: 3
    Just got a 2008 2.0T Convertible sticker $44500 and ended up paying $32500 plus an additional savings of $1200 for the 4 month early turn in of my Cadillac CTS lease! (Premium, Cold weather package, 17" Rims, Auto, Metallic Paint)

$4750 Red Tag & $2000 Loyalty & $2000 Dealer Cash & $3000 GM Employee pricing along with a few more dollars off the top. Got this at a Rochester Dealer - Dorschel.

I am happy since I was comparing with a BMW 3 and A4 Convertibles...much better price for new compared with similar class cars now!
  • mdenglundmdenglund Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice on a car my wife and I are looking at purchasing. It is a manual transmission 2006 9-3 Sport Combi with ~30K miles and they are asking $16.5K. It has a clean Carfax, new tires and new front breaks (rear are 80%). Based on others in the Mpls area, it looks like a competitive price ~ am I right? Also, it is only under factory warranty until 50K miles, but the dealership offers an extended bumper-to-bumper for ~$1,900 (6 yr or 100K) - based on your experience, is this worth it?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
  • hohlernrhohlernr Member Posts: 2
    In northern ohio and just got a quote for a used certified 2007 9-3 2.0t 4 dr sedan for $14,995 with 35,000 miles. Do you guys think this is a good deal or should I try to talk them down lower? Thanks
  • edbocedboc Member Posts: 5
    I'm going to look at the same car next week at Charles River Saab. Did you get this during the Red Tag Event? Did you get what you wanted for your trade?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Try to get it at $14,000, but even at $15K, it seems like a good deal to me.
  • carguycacarguyca Member Posts: 7
    What's a good price on a 9-3 2.0T MSRP 33,370? I know there is a 4000 rebate plus 1000 saab loyalty, plus additional 3000 saab loyalty. On TMV it looks like they are selling at at invoice before rebates...also theres supposed to me manufacturer to dealer cash but I cant find the numbers, anyone know?
    Also, if leasing the vehicle anyone know the lowest money factor?
    It looks like the purchase price should be around 22,800 after rebates, but need someone to confirm. Im in southern ca (LA).
    I have another question if someone can answer. A local dealer has a couple of 2007 unsold 9-3 2.0T convertible (silver for both) with heated seats and upgraded audio packages, MSRP 41430. I was wondering if there are any incentives for unsold new 2007's, I havent seen them before. What's a good price to pay for one of these? I read an article that you should start at paying at least 25% less than MSRP but sometimes a lot more. So if anyone has any info. on this that would be helpful. Thanks, again this is LA area.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    luxurymotors.com near chicago is selling 08's with about 11k-12k off msrp. they have the discounts posted so take a look. Click on the saab symbol then new cars. If you qualify for 3k loyalty? that would make for an awsome deal if it applies.
    thanks, i wonder if they included that 3000 rebate in that price or not, ill have to call them. it says they ship too, i wonder how much that costs, but it would seem to be a lot cheaper from them.
    Shipping should be about $600 -- don't pay more. Southwest airlines is running great one-way prices -- check their website. I don't think the loyalty rebate is included -- do you qualify?
    The saab website says the loyalty cash is 1k with other rebates. You can fly into chicago on southwest airlines cheap and drive it home. Shipping should be about $600. See what they quote you and insist it be no more. Didn't buy a saab but test drove one and really liked it. A bit too small for my needs right now but the price is right -- great warranty and free maintenence. Rated well by consumer reports. Let us know what the deal is.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Current loyalty is for any owner of any model G.M.Product and is as much as $3,000 on certain G.M. Models,however the maximum loyalty rebate on a 9-3 or 9-5 is $1,000.00.There is an additional $3,000.00 bonus cash on 9-7X Models for G.M.Employee pricing eligible buyers.
    this is what I found about the bonus cash on saab, it says you have to take delivery by 2/2/09

Models
    2008 INCENTIVES

SAAB 9-3 Sedan 0% APR for 60 mo.
    OR
    $4,000 Customer Cash + $1,000 Owner Loytalty
    PLUS Targeted Lessee Bonus Cash $2,000 = 2.0T & $4,000 Aero
    Total Possible Cash = $7,000 up to $9,000

SAAB 9-3 Convertible

0% APR for 60 mo.
    OR
    PLUS Targeted Lessee Bonus Cash $4,000
    Total Possible Cash = $9,000

SAAB 9-5 Sedan & Sport Combi

0% APR for 60 mo.
    OR
    PLUS Targeted Lessee Bonus Cash $4,000
    Total Possible Cash = $9,000

SAAB 9-7X

I couldn't find anything on the 9-7 for some reason though. Maybe this is unique to CA?
    the loyalty rebate is if you own a saab already I believe going back to model year 99
    I would knock off at least an additional $4,000 or so off the price of a comparable '08. The 2008 models benefited from a host of cosmetic changes that you may or may not like, but either way, the '07s will be another year older and that will be reflected when you go to sell the car again.
  • einajeinaj Member Posts: 3
    hello, i was wondering what anyone thought about prices on a 07 aero with nav, but not memory seats or heated seats. they are listing for 19600 plus 400 for doc fees for a total of 20000. I would need to ship, do you consider this in an offer and go lower?
    how many miles are on the Aero? That has a huge bearing on how much the car is worth.
    yes, that would really be helpful it has 18,000..sorry
    Luxurymotors.com has a 08 aero sedan with 1k miles -- heated seats, moonroof and all the updates that the 07 is lacking -- priced at $24995. If you can wait a few months the 08 prices will continue to drop. You can buy brand new 08 2.0T sedans for less than 25k. Check it out -- the one your interested in doesn't sound like that good of a deal.
    Hmm.. I would offer $17,500, then "bump" up to $18,000, and walk away once the negotiations circle around to $18,500. Beyond that, it's not that great of a deal.

These prices assume you will have a 6 yr/100K miles CPO warranty from Saab thrown in; if not, then, well, knock off at least another $1000 or so.

Saabs don't resale very well, so use that to your advantage. Also, as another poster has pointed out, there are still plenty of unsold 2008 models out there, so if you are willing to spend a few grand more, you probably could get into a brand new '08...

Plus, in a few months, prices will drop another round again as more '07s come off lease and are hitting the used car market; '06s are cheaper than '07s significantly on eBay for this very reason; a lot of the '06s have come back as lease returns...
  • hohlernrhohlernr Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 07 certified 9-3 2.0t with 27k miles for $16,495. It had the cold weather package, premium audio, and sunroof. Dealer also threw in new tires and break pads.

This was by far the best deal I could find. What do you guys think?
    Saved 8k over a new 08 -- pretty decent.
    $16,500 is a steal for that level of a car. (especially with all that equipment)

Did the Premium package come with the 16" wheels or the 17" ones? I remember the 17"s were a few hundred bucks more when new compared w/ the 16" wheels, and the premium package could be ordered with either wheel size.
    where did you purchase?
    Really, Dude .....do you need to constantly shill for Luxury Motors? Are you getting kickbacks?
    Greetings saablcp, I have absolutely no connection with luxury motors but an earlier post identified them as a website that actually posts discounted prices on new saabs. That would seem to be useful for shoppers whether they buy or use the info to bargain locally. I never recommended anyone buy a car there -- just check out the posted prices.Many dealerships claim they will meet or beat any price so you can at least use their price as a benchmark. For all I know luxury motors might be the last place on earth you would want to buy a car from. Never been there-don't know anyone who works there and don't plan to visit. I had an interest in a saab 3 months ago but it didn't work out. Still like them. May buy one in the future. The local dealers discount prices were about 2k higher than luxury motors so it would have been a good resource to get the best deal. Never went that far, so I can't say whether it would have helped. The selection here was dismal as well.
    And finally. Dude, your post was confrontive and hostile. Maybe you were having a bad day, so I'll cut you some slack. Been there--done that. Good thoughts your way.
    One question -- do you sell saabs?
    Yes I do in fact sell Saabs for a living,hence my resentment toward a Multi-franchise dealer who primarily sell's Luxury vehicles three times the price of the average Saab.this dealer has chosen to sell his Saab inventory at what amounts to a zero profit transaction .I know what a Saab Aero convertible costs a dealer,I know what the dealer holdback and advertising reimbursements are and I know that the prices that this dealer sells Saabs at is unrealistic and would be financially ruinous for a true stand alone Saab dealer to even try and match .It totally disrupts and unbalances the market place.Every Saab dealer in the U.S. would be better served if they just surrendered their franchise back to GM/Saab cars USA as it is obvious they have no true interest in it as a profit center.They devalue the brand and do nothing to help promote a product many of us have a true regard for.
    I would not figure one dealership would have that that much of an effect on the market outside of their home area but in response to your spirited reply, I'll never post a reference to you know who again. Best wishes -- every little bit helps.
  • pescamaaanpescamaaan Member Posts: 6
    i'm looking at a 2006 cpo 9-3 aero with 13k miles...

dealer has it listed at $18995 and says there's not much room as "they price competitively upfront"

i amthinking 17500 would be a deal...

any thoughts?

i'm having a hard time making a decision after seeing the big discounts on the 2008s though...
    $17,500 is a fair price.

Offer $17,000 flat, then bump up to $17,500, and walk away at $17,750.

You could probably get into a new one for under $30K. Might be worth a look to try for an '08 or '09, which you could get with XWD if you wanted. (2009 V6 models come standard with XWD, though)
  • crs4_00crs4_00 Member Posts: 10
    I paid $17,200 for a CPO 2006 Arc convertible three weeks ago. It does have a manual transmission and 21,500 miles.

Chris
  • nebatuganebatuga Member Posts: 9
    This was one of the more interesting back and forth threads in a car forum site I've read in a long, long time. I understand where both of you are coming from. I understand why the multi-dealer site would be such a sensitive issue for someone who works at a local dealer. I could also see how the internet age has made it possible for one mega dealership to have such an impact on markets outside the area. I see the prices advertised, and I sure would use the number as a bargaining tool. As a buyer, I certainly feel the tension between wanting the best deal (on the one hand) and supporting folks who are trying to make a living (on the other). I've seen car salespeople play on this tension before, and it irked me-- this "we're going to lose money if we sell you this car." I actually had a saleperson tell me something about buying his newborn diapers or some such. The good faith negotiating should go both ways.

I don't know what to think. If I can get a 9-3 from the place in Chicago for $26K, and the more local dealership can't go lower than $28K, what should I do? $2k is a lot of money. Not too far different from the tension some people feel about shopping at Wal-Mart. I'm no fan of the rush to the lowest common denominator (dollars in your pocket) that seems to fuel "free market" capitalism, because "externalities" are so easily removed from the picture. I don't think I want a car distribution system that relies on a few mega-dealers, but they did find a way to sell saabs at cost (as loss leaders for other higher profit cars). Again, not sure what a responsible buyer is to do, but thanks for putting the matter out there, even if done with a little edge.
    Save 2k on the same car? Easy decision for me as long as they have the model equipped the way I want it. Feel guilty? Donate the 2k to a worthy charity. Win-win.
  • casdmgcasdmg Member Posts: 11
    Premium
    Navig
    Auto

Dealer offered me 35857 before tax tags

thoughts?
    You could probably go a little bit lower: I'd say into the $34 range, although I have found ads with several dealers listing "former GM Company Cars" (typically, Aero XWD models with Navigation) in the $35-$36 neighborhood, so you might want to give that a look...
  • pescamaaanpescamaaan Member Posts: 6
    i've had my eye on a 2008 sportcombi listed at 22,900 with 3k miles (former courtesy car)

until GM and the Swedes figure out what is going to happen with Saab i'm going to sit on the sidelines.
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Local Saab dealer has a brand new '08 turbo X on the showroom floor. MSRP is a touch over $43,000. Window sticker says $37,000. Does anyone have real world prices as to what these beasts should bring?
    Judging from the ads I've seen all over eBay and Cars.com, I'd say closer to the $35K mark is realistic, assuming the car hasn't been titled as a GM company car or suffered hail damage, which I've seen some examples of both.

Maybe not exactly at $35K, but definitely closer to $35K than $37.

If you could take it home between $35,500 and $36,000, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Or.. .wait two years and buy it for $19,900?

Sorry... it's just stunning how cheap used Saabs are... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The missing part's of that" wait two years save 50% equation" are:First off ,the most obvious...two year old "anything's" cost less than a brand new "anything" doh!.A Turbo-x is a pretty high level performing vehicle....I'd be more comfortable saving on a two year old 2.0T.Much less chance of getting an abused vehicle,especially if we're talking 6 speed Man.Tranny.Secondly,You don't have the pleasure of driving this particular car for the two years your'e bidng your time.waiting for the depreciation to kick in. I bought a 42" Hitachi Plasma Screen tv in Dec.of 2002,I could have waited 6 years and bought a bigger model for less than half the $5,895.00 I paid in '02....but I would'nt been enjoying my HD tv in the interim period!
    I know....

Started on the basement in May... thought I'd be getting a 46" LCD... By the time it was finished in December, I was able to get a better 52" model for less money... :)

But, when it comes to cars, having to have the latest and greatest model is a sure way to hurt your wallet...

I'm glad there are "early adopters", though... I like picking up where they leave off...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If you want a two year old car, no need to wait. Don't know about you but if I'm in the market for a used ride waiting two years for a particular model is way beyond my patience factor.
    My local dealer has closeout pricing on 08's. 10-12 grand. Just saw the ads this weekend.
  • yv27yv27 Member Posts: 3
    do you have a link or more specifics on 08 saabs?

thanks.
    True, but with the Turbo X, it might hold its value a little bit better than a garden variety 2.0T, especially given its limited production run.

I'm not saying the Turbo X would still be worth $35K in 2 years, but it probably won't be depreciated as much percentage-wise as a 2.0T would be.

Plus, for those 2 years, you don't know what that Turbo X has been doing.
    I will admit that a used Saab is a tantalizingly good value... Especially if you can find a CPO one from a dealer... I see CPO-ed '07 sedans in the $17-$19K range...
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Car is still on the showroom floor. I told the sales dude I would pay the window sticker $36,811. Not we are trying to find agreement on my trade-in.
    It was a saab dealer in west st. louis county. You can google saab and find them. Contact the internet dept.
    Obviously, I have no idea what the actual resale will be...

But, usually, the highest-priced trim lines depreciate the most, percentage-wise, compared to the purchase price. Take a model that is selling closer to MSRP than it's dowdier siblings, and I think it's almost a sure bet.

If the Turbo-X turns out to be the most popular Saab, ever.. maybe it will be the exception.. but, that's not the way the smart money would bet.

I do agree, though... if that's the car you really want, no point in waiting on it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.