Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    In my area, there is a local used car dealer with one (not anniversary, I don't think), with leather/sunroof, etc.. more miles (35K)... asking price is $15,900.

At your quoted price, it would have to be CPO for me... the extra equipment and lower miles makes up for some extra... but, not $5K extra..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Yes. All 2009 Aeros have XWD standard.

I think Bluetooth has become standard, although I'm unsure. I do know that on the V6 XWD models, you get the limited slip differential (eLSD) that used to be exclusive to the Turbo X. The '08 Aero XWD models didn't have the eLSD...

The new for 2009 2.0T XWD model doesn't have the limited slip differential either...

For 2009 I think trim lines got shuffled around a bit, and instead of just having 2 models and option packages (2.0T and Aero) now there's a bunch of different "trims" with names like Comfort, Sport, Touring, etc.
    Still only 1 Aero model though...
  • deanr2009deanr2009 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at 2004 9-3 Aero with 40k miles, how much are people paying for 5 year old Saabs these days?
  • gfisher85gfisher85 Member Posts: 2
    Test drove a bunch of convertibles and liked the Saab the best. The sales person offered me 34,000 for a brand new 2008 9-3 convertible 2.0T (MSRP 42,385). I left the dealer with him down to 32,000. We talked again 2 weeks later and he moved it down to 29,000. Now we are at $27,700 and I'm feeling good about it. Any suggestions on whether to take this?
  • esobelesobel Member Posts: 6
    That seems like a decent deal (almost $15,000 off MSRP), but considering how quickly the dealer dropped the price down, you could try holding off to go lower. Of course you'll then run the risk of someone else buying the car. Here are a few of examples of heavily discounted 2008 Convertibles from dealers near me:

http://www.saabofmilford.com/VehicleDetails/1096404554 ($16,355 off MSRP)
    http://www.saabofmilford.com/VehicleDetails/1096405574 ($16,735 off MSRP)
    http://www.longcadillac.com/AdWizardAd/2745833 ($15,500 off MSRP)

These all have higher MSRPs though, so that'll affect the discount a little bit.

Either way, it seems like you have a good thing going, so good luck with your purchase.
  • gfisher85gfisher85 Member Posts: 2
    I really appreciate you doing that for me. Those are some good deals you found. I've seen people on the forum saying they got a 2008 as low as 24k which is hard to believe, but anything is believable in this economy. I live in Florida and the market for a convertible is much stronger it seems. I actually searched a 700 mile radius with my dealer and we didn't find much of anything available. If i found a good deal up north, it would probably cost me 1,000 or more to just get the car down to Florida, not to mention the added miles to the vehicle. Kelly blue book says a new 2008 conv Saab is worth $27,500, so I think anyone who pays around this amount is doing fairly well.
  • pas914pas914 Member Posts: 14
    If you are looking at buying NEW, you can negotiate the deal from a distance and have the car shipped to you for a reasonable amount (that way there are no unnecessary miles put on the new car). Why limit yourself to just the cars within a few states? I looked all over the country and the going rate for shipping was generally around $600-$700. You can also use it as a negotiating point - try to get the dealer to split the shipping cost with you.

Of coarse, this only works with a new car .. I would be hesitant to buy a pre-owned car without seeing it first hand. Best of luck ..
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You would be advised to pay for an independent inspection of your new car prior to purchase and shipping. About $100.
    An inspection for a new car? If it is new (no miles) and purchased from a Saab dealership, an inspection would be a waste of money IMHO. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to do some homework/research on the dealership - some have better reputations than others. But at the end of the day, the (NEW) car will be in perfect condition upon delivery or you will have legal recourse (not to mention Saab/GM support to remedy any issues).

Now a preowned (CPO or not) or a Corporate/Demo is another story - a THOROUGH inspection would certainly be warranted (and advisable).

To each his own - whatever makes you comfortable with a purchase of this size ..
  • scaredtobuy1scaredtobuy1 Member Posts: 1
    Help. After reading numerous messages regarding 9-3 Saabs, I am still in limbo regarding purchasing a Saab. I read numerous messages, and have found the most concerns with the cupholders, rear brakes, radio, and seats. I can work with these issues. I live in Atlanta, so traffic is always hectic. I found a 2007 Saab for $17,000 w// 29,000. Good Deal? I am tempted to purchase the car, but I am concerned about Saab and GM. I have a Honda with over 230,000 miles, but I wonder if I will be able to keep the Saab for several years and thousands of miles. I understand that longevity and regular maintanence are related. I do not know about longevity with Saabs, esp since I do not see many on the road. After numerous suggestions to purchase a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, I still keep looking at the Saab in the window. Any suggestions? :confuse: :confuse:
    Visit a dealership and check out the new cars. Scratches, scuffs, misaligned trim etc.Not all in perfect condition. When I take delivery of a new car- I always take at least 30 minutes to check every inch, switch tuck and roll. It gets fixed before I take delivery not after. It pays to have someone independently check it out.But no big deal -- your car your money. Once it arrives with a problem-- the shipper blames the dealer -- the dealer blames the shipper. Roll the dice. Mechanicals probably not as critical since the car is new.
  • hgershmanhgershman Member Posts: 15
    My 2006 93 lease set to expire. Dealer desperate to sell me similar 2009 93. Willing to go as low as 22,500 on $31 MSRP or so and eat my last three payments. I know it makes mathematical sense. The resid value on the lease car is 17,500 or so.

Still comes down to "Should I buy a Saab?"

Any insights?
    Thanks.
    Do you really like the new saab? Is the 4 year service/warranty still in effect? Make sure warranty work is available. CR recommends them. There are independent shops that can handle service. If you keep it 8-9 years it won't matter much re depreciation -- donate it to a worthy charity. If you buy you won't be able to resell or trade without taking a severe beating. If you really like the car ask for another 1500 off and settle for a grand. You could also offer 12k for your lease -- see what happens.
  • hgershmanhgershman Member Posts: 15
    Actually didn't even look at the new Saab. This was a purely hypothetical discussion. You think GMAC would cave on their "no dickering" on lease residual rule? Worth a try , I guess. Thanks.
    absolutely worth a try. Pretty cool that your dealer is giving you that price and you haven't even been buy to kick a tire. Subaru has some nice deals on legacy's and outbacks. Changing them in 2010 so deals are pretty good --awd is nice.Wholesale on an 06 9-3 linear is from 10300-13000 according edmunds. I would think those prices may be dropping as you read this. Offer low wholesale if you really like the car. Just be glad you didn't buy back in 06 -- you did quite well.
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Test drive the most expensive Nissan Sentra.....the Spec-V.

Nissan has the Sentra reborn as a much larger car with a very good interior, light years better than previous Sentras of even five years ago.

Current Sentra is almost identical in exterior size and interior dimensions as the Saab 9-3.

Sentras with the 170 and 200HP engines are faster than the Saab 9-3. Also consider these advantages:

* much more mechanically reliable

* much, much better resale

* better real world fuel mileage

* no stress on you. Nissan will be around in the years ahead, Saab may not be and even if Saab stays in business it could leave the American market as Peugeot and Renault (twice) has done. My local Saab dealer dropped Saab to concentrate on Mitsubishi. Yes.....Mistsubishi.

Saab's can never live down their richly deserved reputation of the worst resale value possible and constant mechanical problems.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    My wife's 2005 9-3 Convertible has 55k miles and has cost us 5.5 cents per mile to maintain, including a set of PS2s and 3 new wheels. We have had no issues at all and the only warranty work was replacing 2 radio speakers. I believe people who have repair issues do not properly maintain their vehicles.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd offer $22,000 even on the 2009 and see if the dealer takes it.

For $22K, it's hard to beat... You can't even buy a 4 cylinder Accord with leather at that price point...
  • ssmithssmith Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the 9-3 also. If I could find one at 22,500 I would pull the trigger. What dealership are you working with? Hope it's in TX. Thanks.
  • esobelesobel Member Posts: 6
    New Nissan Sentras are ugly as sin.

I never realized how awesome 2008-09 9-3's headlights look in the dark: http://hyperleggera.com/wp-content/images/Inline/2008_11_14_Saab_Turbo_X_15.jpg (pic doesn't do it justice, but it's the best I could find). I saw one on the road last night (had never seen one in the dark). Makes me want to buy one even more for the unique headlights. I'd say they trump the Audi R8 which I saw last night too.
  • drmoore24drmoore24 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently test driven a Saab which previously wasn't on my short list. I am moving on from a Volvo and did not really want to get back into another luxury car due to the maintenance costs. But as much as I try, I am having a hard time not liking this car. I am concerned about a couple of things after reading several posts in the forum. What will the car be worth in five years relative to what is going on with GMC? Also, what are some prices for routine maintenance? It seems that brake service is pretty pricey.

In terms of the cost of the vehicle, it is a 2006 9-3 Convertible with approx. 26,000 miles. The dealer is asking $21,900. Any advice on what I should offer would be appreciated. I would like to get as far under $20,000 as I can. Thanks.
    check the online auction/buy sites to see what their asking.
    Just as a data point.. local dealer nearby is advertising an '07 convertible with 26Kmiles for $23,900...

So.. wouldn't be surprised if you can get to that $20K number... plus tax, etc...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mavrick83mavrick83 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I was just at a dealers and was looking at the following car:
    Link to Sticker Information

the price on the sticker is $35475, it has Auto/ColdPackage/MoonRoof.
    I was able to get him down to $30000 with 0.0%, but if i chose to not take the 0% and get regular financing then the price is $27500.

i said i would have to think about it (i didn't plan on buying it today anyways) and left. he wanted a $100 refundable deposit but i didn't put any and i think i can still go back and get the same price/car.

what do you guys think? good deal?

another question, he said the dealership was losing money, why would he sell a car if he was "losing" money? what does that exactly mean?

Thanks in advance.
    Don't worry about the dealer losing money.. If he is, then it's only because that is all he can get for the car, and it's better to cut his losses.. That's a doubtful scenario, but so much the better for you...

My local dealer is selling service loaner/demos that have similar stickers for $10K off MSRP.. That's about $2K less than your brand-new example... so, I'd say you are in the right ballpark..

Keep in mind.... even at $8K off MSRP, a Saab 9-3 will still depreciate fairly quickly... I see 2007 models with miles in the 20s, with asking prices of $17K-$18K.. So, if you fall out of love quickly, the Saab might not be for you..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ummagummaummagumma Member Posts: 1
    With current deals, what's a good price to negotiate on a 09 9-3 Combi, with auto as an only option ? I think the MSRP is around $36K, but I know the Saabs are often heavily discounted.
  • yuyundyuyund Member Posts: 2
    2005 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan. 48, 000 miles. The factory warranty will expire in the end of Aug 2009.

The dealer is offering bumper to bumper extended warranty:

$1,680 for 2 year or 24,000 miles, plus $200 deductible each visit, or
    $2,125 for 3 years or 36000 miles, +$200 deductible each visit.

I have owned this car for less than 1 year and have been to dealership 4-5 times for little mechanical or electronic problems here and there, including window won't come up, check engine light was on, lights burn out, door rattling noise, radio problem, AC vent broken, taillight losening, antanna crack, taillight falling, etc.

I like the driving experience this SAAB has brought to me. But the little problems are annoying. Has anybody experienced any more severe/expensive problems for a 7-8 years old 9-3? Should I buy the extended warranty? Or should I just sell this car and get a more reliable car?

Any thought will be welcomed! Thanks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large newspaper reporter is looking to speak to consumers who went from owning a luxury car (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, etc.) to a premium non-luxury vehicle recently. If you purchased the vehicle using the Cash for Clunkers program, please let me know as well. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, August 5.
    Find out what the exclusions are on the policy and see if the problems you've had are covered.I bet the problems you listed aren't covered or can be fixed for less than $200. Then factor in the $200 deductable. Have your car checked by a reliable independent import mechanic and see if he recommends an extended warranty. Figure 5 visits for work in 3 years. Add the 1k to the $2150 for 3150 which you now have to spend on service and repairs before you break even.
  • keitho8keitho8 Member Posts: 13
    Hi carman, Hi kyfdx,
    Need some advice please. I've been looking at a CPO 2006 Silver Saab 9-3 with 35144 miles on it. It has sunroof and premium audio package. The dealer's
    advertised price is $16995 + tax, fees, and registration. I'm trying to get the price down. He's saying he can't go down lower than $17100 all in, out the door price. Is this a good deal?
    That's a horrible deal for an '06 with 30k+ miles .. do some searching around and look at 2007/2008 models with less miles -- most will be in the same price range.

Best of luck ..
    I have looked around and there seems to be only a few CPO Saabs here in Miami. (35144 miles on the car) I forgot to mention this car has a sunroof and the premium audio package? Edmunds values the car at $15244 plus tax, fees etc
    His price is $17100 including tax and fees with the CPO warranty. What would you say is a good price for this car? Your help is much appreciated.
    Between the CPO and the tax, you are probably looking at $2000.... Even $15K seems a little pricy..

I see '07 models at asking prices of $17K... They wouldn't be CPO, but with a little negotiation, you could probably get out the door for the same amount as your '06...

Since an '07 is a year newer, you get more use out of the original warranty, offsetting some of the value of the CPO warranty on the '06..

I'd expand your search to include non-CPO cars, and use that as a measuring stick against your deal... that will also open up a lot more choices...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks. I was under the impression that a CPO of 2006 would be a better buy.. The warranty is for 6years or 100k miles?
    I'd say that point is up for debate...

I'd rather have the non-CPO '07 at the same price (assuming it can be done), but that's just one opinion..

I guess my main point... is that if you entertain that alternative, it's going to quadruple the number of cars that you can consider... giving you a better chance to get a better deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx. I have suggested to him $16800 all in, out the door price, CPO.

If he accepts that price for this model and year, would I be doing good or bad please?
    According to Edmunds pricing I'm not sure. Here is the link for Edmunds with the info for this.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/saab/93/100610531/options.html?tmvaction=vdpres- ult

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan
    Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
    National Base Price $9,326 $10,628 $11,611
    Optional Equipment $1,647 $1,837 $2,200
    Wood Center Console Trim $42 $47 $56
    Remote Window Operation $52 $58 $70
    Front Fog/Driving Lights $63 $70 $84
    CD Changer Audio System $88 $98 $117
    5-Speed Shiftable Automatic Transmission $446 $498 $596
    Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlights $210 $234 $280
    Wood Dash Trim $49 $54 $65
    Wood Door Trim $38 $43 $51
    Navigation System $659 $735 $881
    Color Adjustment
    Silver $29 $33 $36
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 33160 $28 $32 $35
    Mileage Adjustment
    36,141 miles $300 $300 $300
    Condition Adjustment
    Clean $0 $0 $0
    Total $11,330 $12,830 $14,182

Certified Used Vehicle $15,508

Price Another Vehicle

Thanks.
    Hepl please. :) I am buying my first car used car. Is this a good price? How much would you say is a starting point?

Advertised for $19,995

Mileage: 18,044 Body Style: Sedan Exterior Color: Ice Blue Metallic Interior Color: : 60th ANNIVERSARY 9-3 SPORT SEDAN - OFFICIAL ICE BLUE METALLIC, 17" ALLOYS, REAR SPOILER, DUAL POWER 2-TONE LEATHER SPORT SEATS, PREMIUM AUDIO.

Edmunds price:
    Certified Used Vehicle $17,399
    You've obviously taken a liking to this car and now you WANT it to be a good deal. The truth is, its not. Do a search and look around. Use all of the major used car sites - v e h i x, a u t o t r a d e r, etc (search within ANY mile radius to get a good idea of what the cars are going for) .. you can get a car with SIGNIFICANTLY less miles and at least a year newer (less miles, newer model yr = more factory warranty remaining) for the same or less money.

Do yourself a favor and look around. I'd offer $14k for the car you are looking at - maybe a few bucks more if it was an Aero, but for a 2.0T??? No way I'd go over $14k for a 30k+ mi '06 4cyl 9-3 .. SHOP AROUND!
    Thanks for the reply. Is it good to look at various websites, like Edmunds for prices? I'm going off by Edmunds.
    I posted the price aswell. Now he's saying $1700, I'm thinking about $16800, CPO one owner. How much would you say for this also; up for $1995 CPO 18044 miles, 60th anniversary edition automatic.I appreciate your advice.

I don't have a lot of others to compare the pricing to as for some reason here in Miami, there's not a lot of these.
  • posauneposaune Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I am about to make my first purchase from a dealer and I luckily stumbled upon this thread. I am looking at a CPO '06 Sprotcombi 2.0T with about 30k on it with a listed price of $17995. My question is the following: would it be totally out of line for me to offer $15k (or less) for the car? If it *is* out of line, what is a realistic price to shoot for? It has been on the lot for about two months.

thanks!
  • samuel17samuel17 Member Posts: 9
    I have the opportunity of buying a new '09 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan, automatic, metallic paint, cold weather package, and moonroof. MSRP is about $34,500 my purchase price is $26,995, which seems to me to be an attractive offer

I love the car. My only hesitance is that, having leased my cars for about 20 years, and rarely keeping one more than 3 years, I have not purchased a car in a while(Saab is not leasing for this vehicle) So I am a bit concerned about purchasing this one in regards to reliability issues and resale value. I am prepared to keep the car a bit longer than I normally do, and I am thinking that some of my concerns about resale value would be negated by the favorable discount price of the car, so perhaps this would help even out the poor resale value of Saabs. Thanks for any thoughts on this
    Is anyone there?
    !0k off msrp is the price you should pay. Keep it for 7-8 years or don't buy a Saab.
    Consumer reports does recommend it. Nice car but depreciation will be high.
    $0 off msrp?
    10k off msrp. Typo mistake.
    Hi all,

Help! How much would be a good buy for this car? It is a CPO located in Connecticut, I live in Miami. I'm thinking about offering $17,300 out the door.

2007 Saab 9-3 4dr Sdn Aero
    Our Price: $21,995
    Stock Number: SP3164
    VIN: YS3FH41UX71009183
    Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic
    Mileage: 19,216
    Oh, I was wondering. :)
    Let's say he splits the difference. After all is said and done you will be paying 19k. A brand new 9-3 2.0 sedan can be had for 23k. It makes no sense to buy used in my opinion. Tires/brakes etc just around the corner. Add another 1.5k to your price. Saab brakes are pricey and they seem to wear before 30k miles.
    Splits the difference? $19k?
    You offer 17300 =2500=19800. Maybe you squeeze another 800 off. You are very unlikely to get that car for 17300 out the door. Especially cpo.Look new- unless you are paying cash -- another 2 years of payments but it will be your car -- maintained by you. You need to keep it at least 7 years or depreciation will be murder. The drivetrain is good for 200k miles if you care for it. Who knows what the used one lived through. You need to keep it 7 years as well. Just my thought on the used car overpricing environment industry wide.
This discussion has been closed.