Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• keitho8keitho8 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your response and advice, much appreciated. :) So if I understand correctly, go to max, $19800 but $19000 would be a good deal. I'm just trying for a good price while GM are in financial trouble and before Saab goes to another owner. I looked at getting a new one but the price is a bit high, the payments etc. Besides I think you need a high credit score to buy new now adays? Sorry to ask but 17300=2500? What is the 2500 please?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Splitting the difference between the asking price and your lowball offer. Paying 19k for a used saab is not a good idea.They are not cheap to maintain and repair. Look at subaru sedans, ford fusion, chev malibu,hyundai sonata, nissan altima/sentra, toyota camry/corolla, if you don't need leather than you can get in a brand new car for less than 18k. VW golf and Jetta are great deals if you like euro brands.They have ads for jettas at 15k with a stick. The best thing you can do re your credit is to go to a credit union and see what you can get pre-approved for in a loan. The dealers will kill you in interest if you are not careful.
  • keitho8keitho8 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you. Don't mean to go off topic but, my employer doesn't have a credit union. I thought dealers work out a good interest rate? So I figured instead of me getting pre approved and lowering my score a bit, it would be best for them to apply first. I'm looking at Saabs because of their 6yr warranty.
    If you like the 6 year warranty you'll love hyundai's 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year power train. Test drive the sonata. Great deals. Good luck.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    You are comparing a Sonata with a 9-3? I may be ok or as "good" as an Accord but I don't want to keep it for more than a month. People who are looking for a Saab is not looking for daily commute. It is a fun car to drive.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    You can find independent shop specialized in Saab/Volvo repairs (much cheaper than what the dealers charge).

I bought my first Saab new in 2001 but I kept buying CPO Saab after that. My CPO Saabs were more reliable than my "new" Saab (esp the 9-5 Aero). You can save a lot by buying a used Saab but you really need a warranty (its CPO is a $0 deductible one, not like Audi or BMW).
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    My 06 93 sportcombi lease is up next month and GMAC want 18K for it (with 39K miles on the clock). I've seen 07's cheaper than this and with less mileage so has anyone had any success in getting GMAC to lower their end-of-lease price and if so, how did you do it?
  • sigamysigamy Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a used 2006 9-3 with around 30k miles. I see these listed for around $16k. What is the best deal I can expect to get?

I'm thinking of offering $13,500 OTD. Is that doable?

I like the 2007 with updated interior but may be out of my price range. Any other reasons to go up to 2007 from an '05-'06?
    There is supposed to be extra sound proofing as well but I couldn't really notice the difference.
  • tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    I gave 500 deposit for 2007 saab 9-3 final otd cost $15,500 in Austin TX. Black with tan leather interior. $14,400 base price 190 total fees 6.25% tax. 34,450 miles 6 speed manual transmission one owned per carfax. Standard equipment with sunroof. Original purchase date april 2007. I called local saab dealer and they told me I do not have to do anything to transfer warranty. My understanding is the car has a balance of up to 4 years or 50k miles bumper to bumper and 100000 miles or 5 years powertrain warranty. Can anyone be so nice and confirm my warranty?
    That's correct. How many miles are on it?
  • tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    After bringing the car home from Austin it has 34,800 miles. I like it; it gobbles highwy miles with ease. At 65MPH rpm is barely over 2000. I did not measure exact gas mileage but it had to be 30 or better with average spped close to 80MPH. My wife noticed it remided her of volkswagen she drove long time ago. Now let's hope it will hold up mechanically.
  • comcicomcacomcicomca Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a CPO 07 saab 2.0t from Connecticut dealer. The car has premium package with 32K miles. Settled with 17.5K+dealer fee and tax. It hard to negotiate the price with them, really hard. I had thought the price can drop to 16K, but seems no way. Maybe I am not good at fighting with dealers.
  • phuckheadphuckhead Member Posts: 9
    With 27800 miles for $18918 ($17000+1666 sales tax+$252 licensing fees. Got to love King County and Washington State). Car has all options except for the navigation system. Dealer also had to fix minor body damage to rear wheel well and a ding on passenger door. Brake pads were replaced by dealer in June. Factory warranty good until December of 2010. Love the car, my first Saab. Always feel screwed after leaving a dealership, but think I did ok on this one. Car had been on the lot since June, so they wanted it to go I think. Talked to the former owner (local trade) and seemed like a decent person, just needed a bigger car for the family and traded Saab in for a Honda van from the dealer I purchased from (Cadillac of Bellevue).
    Anybody?
    So any recent 9-3 purchases?
  • jfm224jfm224 Member Posts: 1
    i've been looking at several demo 2009 9-3 2.0s w/ comfort. All have b/w 2-6k miles and are going b/w $24k and $25k depending on paint and mileage. Also saw a 2008 CPO 2.0 Touring w/ 8k for $21k. Was leaning towards the 2009 b/c I wanted the sunroof that comes along w/ the comfort. Thoughts? Has anyone else been quoted on a 2009 demo?
  • dedatkimdedatkim Member Posts: 2
    I am currently leasing a Saab 9-3 2.0T limited edition 60th Anniversary 2007. The lease is up in one month. I love love love the car this is my second Saab. I went to dealer to lease another. However, currently they are not leasing cars. They wanted to know if I wanted to finance. The car is in gret condition I am the sole driver it has 21,500 miles. They offered the car to me for $19,997 to purchase and finance. The loan and interest rate was ridicolous. I thought this seemed a lot. Way too much. I enjoy the car but feel to walk away from car and get a 2010 Subaru Legacy.

Any thoughts????
    Subaru is a great choice. If you like the eurocar feel -- check out the passat comfort or cc. Jetta is nice but smaller. Check the postings for leases on these cars. Acura tsx and honda accord should also be on your list.
    The dealer probably doesn't want your car back, they just want to squeeze some more $$ out of your pocket. Saab has a low market share and is in a weak postion market wise now, depite trying to tout themsleves as a prieum brand like BMW or Audi they just can't command the kind of $ those cars do. Check out the Edmunds TMV on the car and offer to buy it for the trade in-value. Depending on your original lease terms I'm sure they'll still be making some money, and they don't have to worry about re-conditioning they car for resale. Also check finance terms through multiple lenders, I just got a 72 month loan from my credit union for 3.99%, the dealers was 6.99%. I plan on paying it off early, but the flexibility of low payments is a +.
  • dedatkimdedatkim Member Posts: 2
    Thanks that is what I thought. I have been looking at the 2010 Subaru Legacy. Test drove it yesterday. It was a smooth ride. I am going to let me lease run out and get the Subaru. i enjoy the Saab a lot. However, I feel they are ripping me off. For that price I can have a 2010. Thanks for confirming for how I already felt. Great forum!!!
  • kfish2kfish2 Member Posts: 7
    We've decided to get a convertible and are down to a 2006 or 07 Solara SLE (reliable but a bit boring) or a 2007 9-3 2.0T.

I'm looking at two nice 9-3's, both have similar options:
    - white, with 17K miles, 16'' wheels - dealer asking $21,000
    - metallic gray, with 40K miles, 17'' wheels - dealer asking $16,900

both are in outstanding shape - interiors appear like new, good tires, drive fine, clean carfax. Both were lease returns.

Opinions on the local Saab dealer (MAG) are mixed. But we have several very good local independent shops. A comparable Toyo would be 20-25k.

What do you think?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I think the Solara is a fat, ugly pig.... I'd get the Saab, even if it cost more.. :)

There seems to be a decent selection of '07/'08 Saabs.. Don't restrict yourself to Columbus, if looking for a used car... I know the L-M dealer in Cincinnati always seems to have a couple for sale..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

21k is a decent price for a very nice convertible with 17k miles. Where is it located? :shades:
    The white with 17K miles is at Lambert GMC in Cuyahoga falls.
    Saw the photos don't know why you wouldn't be there tommorrow with a check. Great looking car.
    True - it looks great in the photo's. I am tempted to make the 90 min drive - although I've never dealt with Lambert before. I made a 2 hr trip once to look at a "mint" car and arrived to find it ridden hard and put away wet.

Is 40K miles on a 2007 too many - the metallic gray one was in outstanding condition - the manual still had the original pre delivery inspection report? This would not be a daily driver (I have a '01 Toyo Highlander that is paid for to take the daily commute abuse).
    I'd rather have the low-mileage one with more warranty left... better tires, etc, etc..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The lower miles one is 3-4k more so that is a consideration. You could negotiate hard on the car -- november isn't convertible month in ohio. If you don't put too many miles per year, keep the car maintained/clean -- 3-4 years from now you could fetch a decent return in trade if you do it in june. Otherwise keep it for 100k plus. Saab's have a rep for some electrical stuff but the drive trains are solid. Bottom line -- if the extra $ is not going to stretch you financially -- go for the low miles one. If you have any concerns in that regard -- you might wait til dec 31st and see what kind of deal will work for either of them. ;)
    Agreed... don't get too caught up in asking prices... If one price seems out of whack, then it's possible that dealer may be willing to cut price more quickly...

Find the car you really want.. then bargain hard for that one!

(Solara: It's really an old-fashioned chop-top job... separate boot to put on.... looks cheesy, and a squeak machine waiting to happen).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• johcha1johcha1 Member Posts: 1
    Herb Chambers Saab in Boston just had an awesome two day "sale" this past weekend. $10K off every new Saab. I bought a 9-3 2.0T XWD 6speed manual with a MSRP of $37,170 for $27,170 including destination (+$450 dealer prep, reg and 6.25% MA state tax). There is no AWD car in this class that can be had at that price, period!

Absolutely LOVE the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear. No turbo lag at all. Handling is nimble, precise and no oversteer at all. Bring on winter!
  • smileymtbsmileymtb Member Posts: 1
    I found a new 09 9-3 SportCombi Aero AWD on a dealers lot over the weekend. The vehicles MSRP is around $46,000. What can I expect to pay and what would be a good starting point for what I should offer?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • hh1799hh1799 Member Posts: 8
    Got an unsolicited e-mail from Schumacher Saab; "$10,000 up to $13,000 off MSRP.". Gave an example of a 9-3 for $19K and change, Sounds good so I write to ask of they have any manual transmissions in stock; Answer oh yes, red, blue black white green with parchment interior; Come up and see so and so.
    OK. I take a ride to the dealer. 1st lie: Only color in stock is black. 2nd lie; Rebate is $9k. Gave me a low number for my trade. Told the salesman I wasn't interested. Tried to hold me hostage by keeping the keys to my car in the manager's office, and challanging me why a $9k rebate wasn't good enough. AVOID Schumacher in West Palm Beach, FL.
    With the current state of Saab I think you can get an 09 for way less than invoice. I wouldn't think that you'd be paying more than $34,000 for a new one with the $46,000 MSRP before taxes. I believe the $9000 manufactures rebate is still in effect on new purchases. Let us know what the dealer says if you make an offer.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    several Cadillac-Saab dealers who are offering $15K off of MSRP on new Saabs. Would it be reasonable to expect another dealer that say, had a specific 9-3 design/color/packaging I wanted to match the $15K off MSRP offer that some Cadillac-Saab dealers are doing?
    I think the only chance of getting that amount would only be on a high-MSRP car ($45K+).. Also, there is a good chance that the $15K off car is a loaner or demo..

The rebate is only $9K

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• saabnewbysaabnewby Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new base model 9-3 for $18,500. There is an $11,000 rebate on all 09 Saabs and an additional $1000 for GM loyalty. The sticker price was $33,050 and after the rebates and my GM discount (you can get the discount if you own a non-GM vehicle also, but then you would not get the extra $1000 off) I was able to get the vehicle for the 18,500. I could have bought a 9-5 for about 25,000. I have never owned a Saab nor really cared too but for a semi-luxury car for the price of a lower model chevy, I couldn't pass it up. They are moving FAST. By the time my paperwork was complete, the 6 cars that they had when I first arrived were all sold. These cars were all new (not demos) with less than 30 miles on them.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    no it wasn't a demo. I actually test drove one; it was a black 2.0T Comfort the dealer had marked down to $20,xxx and change.

It's probably sold by now... The deals are moving...
  • donovankddonovankd Member Posts: 6
    I actually just purchased a 9-3 Saab Aero with an MSRP of $44,930 for essentially $15K off. If you have a GM family member and a non-GM product, you can get GMS pricing (through the end of the year) which was $41775. On top of that, there are $12K in cash incentives which brings the car just under $30K before taxes. This is my third and (unfortunately) final Saab. There are still a few of these on the dealer's lots and if I had the money, would have bought 2. I was also considering a loaded Malibu which I could have gotten 0% for 72 months on with pull-ahead but that car is not even close to the kind of car the Saab is. The Malibu would of course have been cheaper but that car is in a completely different class. The XWD is phenomenal. I spent the weekend driving over snow-covered roads in northern Michigan and it drives across the slipperiest surfaces with barely a hiccup. Additionally, the car drives like a dream..........Of course, it will still lose a couple thousand in resale when you drive it off the lot but a comparable car would probably run you at least $40K so now is a great time to buy this car!
  • bruceb01bruceb01 Member Posts: 2
    Where was that $18,500 dealer? I went to 2 dealers today and they wouldn't move below $21,500K for base 9-3s with a sticker of $31,800 to $32,500. They said their max discount was $10,000.
    Bruce
    My local dealer has this exact car... still on the lot.. One of only two 9-3s that they have left..

That's a great deal.. Does the 15 mpg city rating bother you? I was surprised it was that low..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• chase168chase168 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I am stumbled into a Saab dealer yesterday and could not believed the kind of deals that are available at this point. I noticed a 93 2.0T AWD and very interested. They are asking for $28k for the car and I am wondering what's the bottomline price I can possibly get. Thanks.
  • donovankddonovankd Member Posts: 6
    The gas mileage is a trade off but it stems from the powerful engine and the amount of work the XWD system does. I've averaged 21-22 mpgs with mixed driving. The gas mileage will be low if you drive aggressively but the fuel economy is reasonable if you don't do that all the time. Because of the XWD it's totally worth it as this is the car I wanted and now I have exactly what I wanted. Only thing I'd change are the wheels but that's cosmetic and an expensive change so I remain happy.
  • jxp293jxp293 Member Posts: 1
    The sales prices are very good on these Saabs now. I picked up a silver 93 Comfort for 22.4K; off the showroom floor.
  • 93aeroxwdowner93aeroxwdowner Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the last new 2009 aero sedan available in Houston for $25.9K! Sticker is $44.9K. I've always liked Saabs but the high MSRP scared me off. I wish it would snow here!
  • tstrayertstrayer Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a brand new 2009 for 19,900 in the Northeast. We were led to believe that this is about 1,00 below factory invoice on this car. It is black exterior with parchment interior, no other options. Sticker was about 32,000 haggled down to 28,900 then there was the 9,000 GM rebate. We are extremely happy with this deal and were completely willing to give up a car with the moonroof and heated seated for a deal like this.

Good luck to all of you! There are quite a few more base models out there.
  • saab93buyersaab93buyer Member Posts: 1
    Hi tstrayer, I am also in northeast, would you please tell me which dealer do you choose? Thank you very much
  • moniczka777moniczka777 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    New to the board and interested in a newer Saab, looking at 3 different 9-3s. What do you think of these models and listed dealer prices? Thanks..

1. 08' 9-3 2.0 33,470 miles listed for $18.249 w/Cold weather package
    2. 08 9-3 covertible, NAV, heated seats, 22,407 miles listed for $20,880..BALANCE OF FACTORY WARRANTY GOOD UNTIL 317/2012 OR 50,000 MILES
    3. 08 9-3 convertible, 8,797 mileage, listed for $22500, 4. 07 9-5 2.3T, 18686 miles, listed for $16,551

All help greatly appreciated.
  • saabguy914saabguy914 Member Posts: 64
    $12,500 with 30k miles. What do you think?
  • seapalseapal Member Posts: 6
    just bought a new 09 9-3 after the 9k rebate and additional 1k GM loyalty rebate, got additional 2.4k discount to get the last 9-3 wagon off the dealer lot on Jan 30. then saab/GM lowers the 9k rebate to 5k feb 1. but most new 09s are gone. love the car. thanks to all the posters.
  • robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2010
    I have two 2008 9-3 aero sedans that I am looking at. It may seem like a no brainer, but I just wanted to bounce off you well informed guys.

One has 13k miles and warranty expires 11/2012. Problem is I cannot see it before purchasing as it is 500 miles away. I can get an inspection company, but not sure I want the car carrier hassle, etc.

The other has 30k miles and a year shorter warranty(expires 11/2011), but it has the touring package and is only 2 hours away so I can look at it and drive it before purchasing.

I only drive about $8k/year and only need to get about 2 years out of the vehicle.

What would you guys do. I am a bit anal about exterior and interior condition.

Thanks at ton!
This discussion has been closed.