Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Gabester,
    Sounds like the diesel is probably best for you, but the dealer quoting you was exaggerating a little. Granted, he wants to sell you the most expensive options. Today's gas engines go well beyond 200,000. And diesels don't necessarily go up to 400,000. I've never seen one go that far, but I have seen an old Ford w/ 6.9 with somewhere close to 400K on it. But i've also seen Ford 302's and GM 350's go over 300K miles without a prob. And i've seen a Ford 7.3 diesel die at 250K miles.

My point...engine longevity shouldn't be an issue, especially if you are only going to put 150K on the truck in 10 years!
  • gabestergabester Member Posts: 2
    If engine longevity should not be a "major" consideration, how about diesel vs gas mileage?

Also, are there any "peculiarities" about the truck I'm buying (2001 F250 4x4 CC SB SRW Lariat Diesel) I should know about such as the passenger non-convex mirror Ford chose which limits visibility?
  • mbacowboymbacowboy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke SD Lariat in June of this year and absolutely love it. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. The engine can't be beat...I don't care what anyone says about the Cummins. The interior is much nicer than Dodge's offering also...no comparison. If anyone is lingering about buying the powerstroke vs. gas, go ahead and spend the money for the diesel. You'll get your investment back many many times. I have put about 8,500 miles on the truck in the past three months, and have averaged 17.5 MPG in mixed driving. I have friends who own the V10 gas and average 10 - 12 MPG. That's a huge difference in my opinion. You'll be disappoinyted. Not to mention mine diesel will still be running at 200K miles when theirs will probably be in the graveyard or have had a major overhaul. Don't even consider the standard V8 in a truck like this.

All I have to say is...Ford has outdone itself. This is my first Ford product, but it will NOT be my last.
    Diesel will get about 17 mpg.

V8 gas will get 15.

v10 gas will get 12 or 13.

Diesel has a lot of maintenance. Gas has practically no maintenance.

I don't own one, so don't know about the 'peculiarities' of the Ford SD.
    I don't think any of the gas engines will 'die' sooner than the diesel. I've seen gas engines 12 years old with over 300K miles on them. I've also seen diesels die before 300K.

Depends on how you take care of it.

A gas will lose some of its pep in older ages that you can't get back. Sometimes you can with a diesel, but it always cost a little.
  • marossgnvmarossgnv Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a 94 Ranger, which has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It has been through 6 clutches, 5 front brakes (pads & rotors each time), 1 completely destroyed 5 sp transmission, and overheats (since 25k) all in under 80k miles. Believe it or not I am considering an F250 Super Duty with the idea that they are really super duty. I have looked at Chevy and am not impressed with the diesel, and the Dodges just seem "flimsy". Does anyone own an "older" 250 SD that is used "sternly" that can comment? I understand the 7.3 is stout but I am concerned about the transmission (auto) being able to take the grunt of a diesel and the brakes being beefy enough to stop without turning to a potato chip.
  • marossgnvmarossgnv Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a 94 Ranger, which has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It has been through 6 clutches, 5 front brakes (pads & rotors each time), 1 completely destroyed 5 sp transmission, and overheats (since 25k) all in under 80k miles. Believe it or not I am considering an F250 Super Duty with the idea that they are really super duty. I have looked at Chevy and am not impressed with the diesel, and the Dodges just seem "flimsy". Does anyone own an "older" 250 SD that is used "sternly" that can comment? I understand the 7.3 is stout but I am concerned about the transmission (auto) being able to take the grunt of a diesel and the brakes being beefy enough to stop without turning to a potato chip.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    What Cdean has said about longevity I agree with. I know that fuel prices vary every where but here diesel is more than unleaded regular.

Did you factor in your oil changes? The diesel holds over double the oil. The filters?? Diesel filters are waaaaay more expensive plus you have a water separator . I've read here that diesels HAVE to have their coolant changed more frequently or damage may result.

Are you paying cash? That $4600 would double in 10 years at 7.2%!! Or you may be paying $90 more a month on a 60 month note.

My only suggestion is drive 'em both. You may fall in love with the diesel as many on this board have. Or you may hate the sluggish, slow revving, smelly, noisy characteristics compared to the V10.

The only time I would choose a diesel is if I were towing close to max the majority of the time and at a high altitude and putting a lot of miles on (30,000+ a year)

You should buy the one you like because the money factor can be twisted either way depending on what someone favors.

Good luck.
  • rutnbuckrutnbuck Member Posts: 3
    Two quick questions:
    1) Will a 15inch wheel work on a 2001 F-250 4x4 CC SB or must it be at least a 16inch?

2) Can I put a 35x12.50 on this truck without having to do any modifications?(lift/cutting of bumper)
  • rhwoodpeckerrhwoodpecker Member Posts: 26
    I have an F-250 XLT V-10 Crew Cab Short Bed 3.73 rear end. These are the things that jump out at me. Turning radius is not for the in town driver. You will need practice driving it. LONG and WIDE. Trailer tow mirrors do fold in but will be a pain at times. Get the darkest tinted glass you can get if you want to stay cool. I don't think the A/C is any different than the regular cab. It does not keep everybody comfortable on sunny days. I have four kids and all 6 of us can fit very comfortably on long trips. I am very happy to ride in the back. For a truck with the load and towing capabilities I think this truck drives and rides very well though it is definatly stiffer than F-150's. If gas mileage is important to you don't buy this truck. If someone short will be riding you'll want steps of some kind. The seats blow away my old Chevy seats for comfort and support. It tows like a dream. When you open the doors anything on the floor rolls out (but this makes it easy to clean). I would LOVE to see them make a rear seat that folds up ala super cabs. They did not offer limited slip with the 3.73 in '99 and that is a bummer. Questions? gglasscock@home.com
  • rrichf1rrichf1 Member Posts: 47
    tmik30,
    I had a '92 with the E4OD automatic transmission. It was rebuilt by the dealer under ESP at about 99,700 miles. (I had run through about a mile of 2 foot deep water about 3 months earlier. The truck was in for service and the dealer found metal flakes in the transmission pan.

cdean,
    I don't see much difference between the maintenance requirements of gasoline vs. diesel. Both require oil changes, oil filters, air filters and fuel filters. The filters for the diesel are slightly more expensive and the oil quantity is about double. The diesel does require anti-cavitation fluid in the radiator. (About $6 every 15K miles.)

Rich
    Rich
    Fuel filters are a little more often done on the diesels, and more difficult, i think...haven't seen any of the new ones.

I realize the duties are close to the same, but the gas is cheaper to maintain, (less of everything). No fuel additives needed anywhere with the gas.

You are probably like me, a bit of a gearhead, and don't mind doing this stuff, so its all moot!
  • skihoserskihoser Member Posts: 12
    Horseman -- not sure if you ever got a response to your question, but by all means tow with the shortbed. I have for the past 3 years and it works fine. One qualifier is, get a tilt-slide hitch. This hitch has a sliding ability and ads about 8 inches to your length to maneuver. When towing it is in the regular position, but to maneuver you place lever in slide position and the hitch tower slides to the rear about 8 inchs. Not enough to get a full 90 degree bend but close. I have had no problems so far. Reese makes a hitch and there are others. I have a 2001 short bed on order now.
  • kayakidkayakid Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of either purchasing an Excursion or an F250 SD Crew Cab Long Bed with a PSD with a 3.73 or 4.30 rear end for towing an 8000 lb Travel Trailer. Any suggestions for which vehicle or rear are better for this purpose?
  • tbrown7tbrown7 Member Posts: 2
    If you want the PSD the 3.73 rear is your only option.The V10 you could get the 4.30 rear end,either vehicle will tow your 8000 lb trailer fine.The powerstroke will give you much better milege.Good luck.
    Between the Excursion and the Crew cab with long bed you had better be sure you look hard at the difference in wheel base and total length. The long bed version of the crew cab takes a huge turning circle. Even the short bed, which I have, is longer than the Excursion.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    I have 99 F250 V10 3.73 gears. I tow a 7500 lb travel trailer, after all the gear is in it (It is actually hooked up as I type, we're going to the North Georgia mountains this afternoon). I get 9.5 mpg @ 70-75 mph.

It pulls like a dream, I know without a doubt I can pull the 10,000 lb hitch rating w/out a problem. Two weeks ago I got my Mom 00 F250 V10 4.30 gears. She is going to be full timing with a 34' loaded w/gear it's at or slightly above 10,000 lbs. It only gets 8.5 mpg @ 70 mph, because of the gears.

Both of these are just what we need. Neither one of us can stand the noise of the deisel, nor the smell. Quick thought here, make sure of your loaded weight and your actual miles towing each year. My V10 & 3.73 combo give me 16 mpg empty on the highway & 13 in the city (Atlanta).

P.S. Both truck are supercabs and 4x4.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    I read thru and see a bunch of questions about the diesel as opposed to the gas engines.If you can tolerate the noise,I would prefer the diesel easily over the gas engine.We have a fleet of Fords,Dodges and GM trucks with both,gas and diesels.We have Power Strokes that are going in excess of 300,000 miles with minor problems(glo plugs and fuel injection pumps),while the gas engines are lucky to make it to the 125,000 mile mark.Realizing that the trucks I am dealing with are severe duty,the gas engines under normal running conditions may make it further.
    Also,Ford is expected to start deliveries of the 2001 trucks by late Nov or early Dec.That is the memo we got from them,anyway.
    Quote; "We have Power Strokes that are going in
    excess of 300,000 miles with minor problems(glo
    plugs and fuel injection pumps),"

I have seen on this board that the injectors are like $400 a piece for the PS. A set of 8 would be $3200, about the price of a COMPLETE new gas motor. Factor in the noise you mentioned and the smell and the higher cost for maintenance, the higher initial cost and the sluggish off the line performance, unless you have an extreme work environment the diesel doesn't make sense. IMHO
  • rutnbuckrutnbuck Member Posts: 3
    Obviously you haven't driven a new PSD. "Sluggish", I think not. As far as all the other negatives, worth it!
    and I would also say sluggish, when compared to the options in the gas engines.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Didn't he say fuel injector pumps? Isn't that different than fuel injectors?
    I saw injection and plugs and jumped the gun. Dumass!!LOL!!

Buck, I've driven them ALL back to back to back and the diesels feel like you're stepping on a marshmellow before they spool up.

IMHO unless you're towing near the limit the majority of the time, at altitude and put on a ton of miles, the diesel is just a symbol of a wannabe trucker.(me gets flame retardant suite ready!!!)
    Actually,our trucks are hauling rock,asphalt and towing trailors most of the time,we rarely have a gas enigne Ford go more than 100,000 miles on the engine.Add into the fact that the fuel economy is considerably better,it is an economic thing.

And to add my opinion regarding the sluggishness.
    Load your truck down to it's limit and put a trailor on it,with the gas engine and try and take off from a stand still.Now load the same truck with a diesel engine the same way,then tell me they are sluggish.
    I have been working on Ford diesels since Ford introduce them into the F series trucks,along with Cummins,Detroits and CATs and while I don't own a diesel pickup,for a work(for business) truck,I would never buy gas.
    modvptnl,
    you said that the injectors are $400 each??
    I'm paying $195 each and I know they are for sale for $225.Who is paying $400 a piece for them? I could make some good money selling them for $400 each.
    The great thing is there are a lot of PSD's out there driven by people who drive for show instead of work and there will be some great used trucks to use for work in a couple of years when the new wears off. Too many selling on appearances right now. I drove a muscled up '29 Model A 25 years ago and a 911 SC Targa after that and I have had ten times the people stop me about my truck....it's a shame I have to scratch it up with lumber and concrete block. I didn't know F-250's would be such a hot ticket!
    Thanks for the correction. I read it on one of these topics a while back. Maybe it's the Ford dealer's price?

I know I can get a set of 19# gas injectors off the net for $99 when Ford wants over $100 a piece. So your prices certainly don't surprise me.
  • mlistermlister Member Posts: 6
    Just wanted to let everyone know that my F-250, CC, XLT, 2WD, SB arrived right on schedule. In fact, arrived two weeks prior to Ford's reported delivery date to the dealer. Final price, and this one was loaded with many extras was $31,100. Not bad, figure $600 over invoice.

Have seen many questions about diesel over gas, etc. Mine is diesel, and after having the truck for 2 weeks now, I no longer hear the diesel. My in town fuel mileage in first tank of fuel was about 19 mpg. Bottom line > I am getting over an additional 150 miles per tank than I was getting with my 97 expedition 5.4. To me, the diesel was well worth the expense. Yes, diesel in El Paso is same as premium unleaded, but mileage is far exceeding this factor.

Reference notes about diesel being sluggish.... their is nothing sluggish about the engine, unless you are looking to jack rabbit from the red light. This engine is responding well, and I have no complaints at all.

Bottom Line: People Stop and Look at this truck. It is worth it!
  • wisbeckwisbeck Member Posts: 10
    I can't decide if I should buy a F150 or the F250. Next year I would like to buy a 24' or 28' camper tailer and I'm not sure if the F150 would handle it. I would like to know what you think. The F150 crew cab, SB with the 5.4 V8? or the F250 Crew, SB, V8?
    Wisbeck: Based upon you saying that you will be pulling a 24' or 28' camper, my suggestion would be the 250. You can't go wrong and the extra capacity of the 250 will give you plenty of "room" to tow with. I did a side by side comparison of the 150 SuperCrew to the 250 Crew Cab, and their is no comparison! 250 gives you much, read bold italisized MUCH, more inside space. Since you will be going with 4 door version of one of these, it suggests that you still want to put folks into the crew cab. Recently drove 7 folks (including myself) in our 250 crew, and they all had more than enough room, yes... kids were in there also, but 250 can easily handle 6 full size adults with no problems. Also, 250 allows you to at least consider getting the 7.3l diesel instead of the gas engines. Although it would certainly appear to be sticker shock when putting in the diesel, the long run might prove more beneficial, especially if you will be pulling your trailer a lot, long trips, etc. Mileage is much better with the diesel, and you can't compare the towing power.

Also, if you are considering keeping this truck for a while, diesel would be your best long term investment..... engines are really broken in at 100k miles, where as gas are starting to reach their "so long" point.

Food for thought.... hope this helps. Yes, you can tell that I am a very satisfied 250 owner. And to be fair, I have had 2 F-150s in the past also. Good Luck.
  • rrichf1rrichf1 Member Posts: 47
    modvptnl,
    No Flames.....

A diesel engine in a pickup truck is just like Coors beer. There are them's that like it and them's that don't.

If you don't care for a diesel, for what ever reason, that's cool. I just hope that you don't like Coors either. (That way there's more for me.)

:)

Rich
    That's funny!!! I really don't care for beer EXCEPT a Coors Light in a FROZEN mug to where there's chunks of ice. I guess being that cold sort of kills the taste. LOL!!!!
    Thanks for the great feedback. I'd love to have the diesel but my wife already complains of the noise and I don't even own one yet.
    I have a 1993 27' Terry Resort weighing 7500 lbs loaded(including hitch weight). I had a 92 F150, sc, 4x4, 5.8L, 3.55 gears. I now have 99 F250, sc, 4x4, V10, 3.73 gears.

Here's my formula.
    Take the GCWR of the truck
    - GVWR of the truck
    - full tank of gas
    - weight of all people
    - 200 lbs per person for their stuff
    - GVWR of the camper(they it posted on
    every camper. You can usually
    find it inside the cabinets.
    - the hitch components weight

When all done I say you need about 1500 lbs of cushion leftover. In my F150 I was to the limit of the rating, and hated every minute of it. Too little power and WAY TOO LITTLE BRAKING CAPACITY AND VEHICLE STABILITY. My new truck is a dream, AND my fuel mileage is nearly the same.

You'll never be sorry you bought too much truck. Besides if you like camping as much as we do, you'll be looking at the bigger ones in a few years, and more slide outs as well.
    Good Luck.
  • jbear87jbear87 Member Posts: 13
    I noticed that a 6 speed manual transmission is one of the options on F-250 & 350s. I am under the impression that the "extra" gear is an ultra low gear that one would use taking off from a stand still with a heavy load. I have a couple of questions: 1) do you need to start off in this "low" gear when you aren't loaded down 2) is their any improved highway mileage in 6 speeds over 5 speeds? In other words, are you running at lower rpms in a 6 speed?
    Thank you.
    Wisbeck: More continuation. When my wife and I went shopping for the new truck, we both had reservations about the "noise" of the diesel. We have had the truck for 2 weeks now, and we don't hear the "noise". In fact, after about the 3d day, it was transparent to us. Driving conditions have been both city/highway. Have had a variance of windows up/down, radio on/off, etc. If you and your wife have never had a diesel before, then yes she will be "tuned" in the first time you drive one. But, if you can get her to a dealer to test drive one, take her out and drive like you would do, i.e. favorite radio station, CD, etc., with windows up, she will find that she can't hear any "noise". The final testimony now is that my wife wants to go in the truck all the time now! She loves it, no only to ride, but to drive. Hearing is believing, so try one for a good test drive. Now, for the honest part, if you are sitting at idle, radio off, windows down, you will hear the "noise" but it is not as bad as she might think. Still believe diesel might be best suited for you, and another writer confirms that.
    Good Luck!
    I saw some of the injector problems in Powerstrokes. $400-500 were prices the Ford shops were charging when they did the work.

I'm sure you could buy aftermarkets for much less. The Ford/Navistar/Cat injectors weren't great for reliability at their high price...the question is, how would the cheaper ones be?

One company I worked for had a fleet of 30 Powerstrokes at one time, '95 thru '98 year models (when I was there). Every truck with 150K miles or more had at least 2 injectors replaced on it, and 80% of the trucks with 100K miles had at least 2 injectors replaced. I never saw a truck that needed all 8 replaced, but saw as many as 6.

That injector was redesigned with the 'new' Powerstroke, so hopefully it is no longer a problem.

We had several gas engines (all GM, 350s and 454s) and they all lasted just as long as the Powerstrokes with MUCH less cost to the bottom line. you only had to change oil and filters and an occaisional distributor or water pump...they kept on going.

But no, they wouldn't pull or sound like those Powerstrokes....
    BTW

The Powerstroke does not have a fuel pump like the all the other diesels in the world. The Powerstrokes fuel pump is no more than a supply pump, like on a gasoline truck. I never heard of one failing, and doubt it would be very expensive...probably more costs in the labor to get to it.

Other diesels have high pressure gear driven pumps on the engine. The fuel pressure on a Powerstroke is developed in the injector...thus the high complexity...thus the high injector cost.
  • jbear87jbear87 Member Posts: 13
    Please see #144 above concerning the 6 speed.
    Thanks for all the good feedback, the F250 it is. now I just have to decide the big V8 or the Diesel. What kind of mileage are we looking at for both with and without towing? I noticed diesel cost more here then premium gas. I was shocked. I always thought Diesel was cheaper then 87 Octane.
    Here is what I posted (#64)

My 99 F250,sc,V10,4x4,3.73 has 21,000 miles.

12.5 to 13 mpg city (Atlanta)
    15 to 16 mpg highway (unloaded @ around 75 mph)
    9 to 10 mpg pulling 7500 lbs @ around 70 mph

Mom's 00 F250,sc,V10,4x4,4.30 has 1500 miles
    10 to 11 city
    11 to 11.5 highway
    8.5 to 9.0 pulling 9000 lbs @ 65-70 mph
    I will add a little to the mileage question. F-250 Crew Short Bed, V-10, 3.73

my city mileage is less that fordtuf's,...more like 10.5 to 11. I'm sure he has more 40 to 50 mph 'city' driving. In a smaller town with lots of 30 to 45 speed limits I get what I have stated above. A bed load of tools (several hundred pounds) does not seem to affect the in town mileage. Highway mileage is almost always 15.0 - 15.8. Towing a 4500lb. trailer at 70 mph I get between 12 and 13.
  • txbomrtxbomr Member Posts: 1
    mlister: I am considering buying an F-250 in El Paso in the next couple of months and am interested in asking you a couple of questions about your experience (dealers, salepeople, etc.). Please e-mail me at: kwajeo.removethis@hotmail.com
    Thanks
  • stagehndstagehnd Member Posts: 1
    Picking up my Beast 10/25/00. F250 V8 Black CC LB 4x4 4.10. Came in two weeks early!!! I would like to thank all of you, your info helped me to make my purchase. If I new about this sight sooner I would be driving the Beast as we speak. See you on the road.
  • leeperleeper Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where the horn is located under the hood?? I am replacing mine with a dual air horn model, but need to find the factory location of the original one first. Any help. Sounds like it's right behind the right headlight but can't see the darn thing. Help!
  • mpbowmanmpbowman Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading a while. I notice that the
    majority here own 250's. Can I get some feed back
    on why some of you decided on 250's vs 350's? Was
    it price or ride? I've also heard that more truck
    is better, 250 vs 150 and diesel vs gas. So why
    not a 350? I agree with "mo betta" that's why I
    ordered a 01' 350 PSD 4x4 CC lariat

appreciate the feedback.
  • jrmicjrmic Member Posts: 1
    I am waiting to order a 350. My salesman said they need to use up the lower rated engines on the early 01's so I have not put the order in yet. Do you know if your engine will have the higher output ratings? Also how long did they tell you it would take?
    As far as the 250, why not spend the extra a get a heavier truck.
    Ride all the way. Did not consider price. I had Chevy's answer to the 350 years ago. If you aren't loaded the ride is tough and it's actually hard to keep the wheels tracking on washboard dirt roads. My bones don't need that pounding anymore. On decent pavement it probably won't be a problem. The 250 is just right with the load I carry 99% of the time. For the other 1% I just load it 'til the tires look flat and go. So far so good.
    In #157 that should read, 'If the truck isn't loaded'. If YOU are loaded, then it's certainly hard to keep the wheels tracking....!!!
  • mpbowmanmpbowman Member Posts: 9
    a reliable salesman told me that the units built after 10/1/00 will have the new HP engines. These will be sched to arrive late Nov thru Dec. After Oct they will not build anymore till the beginning of the year. Because they have to close out the quarter. So I understood it to mean that the assy lines are empty by the end of Dec. Hence, late avaialbility.

This sort of makes sense because I've visited a few dealers and asked if they had any 01 sched to show up and the response was not till late Nov or early Dec. My order was placed in the order bank on the 3rd week of Sept and should arrive in mid Dec. My dealer is in Houston and emailed him to see if my truck would have the new HP engine. He has not reponded in 2 days. I'll keep you posted.

thank
This discussion has been closed.