Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Most were SE's, but they had 5-6 HSE's, fortunately, one became mine!
    You know, the internet forums skew things when it comes to car problems. I go to a lot of car forums and it seems like everyone that goes to these forums is looking for info, most with problems. But that doesn't mean they all have problems. For example, a guy with a problem free car isn't as motivated because he's happy with his car. Not saying the LR3 is problem free but just don't take an internet bulletin board as a scientific sampling of a car's reliability.
  • simba1simba1 Member Posts: 4
    Are these problems local to only HSEs. What about the SE models?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    There are no significant differences between HSE and SE; just 3 things (see my previous message.)

Also, I've had no problems with my LR3. But I'm not going to post about that every few days. ;-)
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    The issue is not that there may be a discrepancy between posters and problems. Sure, but less relevant. The issue here is that if there is a systematic problem, as there may for instance be in the "wet wiring loom" issue, then it will likely affect everyone eventually.

And fwiw:

- I had no problems the first few thousand miles
    - These are all minor problems if solved once and for all
    - I love the LR3
    - But anything systematic I would like addressed properly, as I am sure it will be.

Mike
  • rcdohrcdoh Member Posts: 7
    I think most rational people understand and agree with you. When I bought my last truck it was the new chevy HD and the forums looked the same as reading this one. In fact my car had serious problems but they all got worked out. So Im sure LR will address these problems.
    I'm not saying not to post problems, just not trying to scare off potential buyers, because the LR3 is a great car!

I finished up my mudflap install, the fronts were easy, just raise the LR3 all the way, then turn the wheels depending on which side you're working on. The rear is a bit tougher because you have to install a metal bracket which is hard to get at (the muffler is in the way). Just go to your friendly Sears and get a multi-angle screw driver and that'll do the trick. Looks great and highly recommend it. About an hour's work of time.

Still waiting for the stick on side molding to get here and I'll post a report on that too.
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    Ive never had a problem with a mist either and they do work, just a little TOO good! The auto-wipers never miss an opportunity to make a wipe! They do kick on in very light rain but in anything else they have a mind of there own...Going from delay to superfast to slow and back again. Enough already!
    Anyway, what I was talking about in my post was the dial on the stalk.. I have found no difference in the sensitivity in any setting.
  • simba1simba1 Member Posts: 4
    I totally agree. I would also like to add that problems that compromise safety is not minor especially if you driving your kids in an environment of -40 C such as the one we experience here at least 8 months of the year.
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    I know that NavTeq created the DVD, but who built the computer? What operating system does it use?

Also, the nav manual reads (page 5 of my manual under 'Switching On')...

"If the screen is already displaying another function (radio, phone, etc.), touch the on-screen 'Home' button to access the Home Menu."

...from the root, my nav screen only allows me to show Navigation, 4x4 Info and Settings. How do I show radio or phone on the nav screen?
    letterrep, that phone & radio reference is regarding the Range Rover (not Sport) version. Unlike the LR3 (and RR Sport), it has a single non-optional touchscreen interface for radio, phone, car info, navigation, etc.

The system is built by DENSO, one of the big players. Denso is also used by Lexus/Toyota, Jaguar, Cadillac, and others.
    My CD Player quit playing, everytime I insert a CD it says invalid CD. It was playing mp3s and regualr CDs just fine until today. Any ideas?
  • gwellandgwelland Member Posts: 23
    I'd have to agree with the other posters here - we're working through an early production run set of glitches. The problem is that these things don't show themselves until the vehicles are out in production and being used by people in all kinds of day to day situations and it's incredibly hard to find everything during product development. (I used to work for Ford R&D and saw just how much testing DOES occur yet still customers find significant problems after final release).

I would empahsise that the LR3 is a great vehicle 99.99% of the time. Once my 'glitches' are solved then I'm sure I'll be 100% happy. Unfortunately rubbishing LR and returning the vehicle as a lemon aren't really an option because the only vehicle that I'd want to replace it would be ... another LR3 (ok, maybe the RR Sport ...).

The good news, I suppose, is that all who follow behind our product refinement trailblazing will get to benefit. Great vehicle and if they gave me my money back I'd just buy another one.
  • saileastsaileast Member Posts: 16
    My HSE is now three months old, with about 5000 miles. The only problem, the CD player failed at delivery. The dealer had a new unit sent in overnight, installed it and it has been without a problem since. This LR3 has been great in every way except gas mileage, but I did not expect crude to set a new record every week when I took delivery!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would empahsise that the LR3 is a great vehicle 99.99% of the time.

I'm impressed, GW! If you've had your LR3 for 2 weeks then that works out to about 12 seconds of bad time! ;-)

Seriously, congrats on your new vehicle!

tidester, host
  • gwellandgwelland Member Posts: 23

I would empahsise that the LR3 is a great vehicle 99.99% of the time.

I'm impressed, GW! If you've had your LR3 for 2 weeks then that works out to about 12 seconds of bad time!

Well, I've had it for somewhat more than two weeks! It's got 5500 miles on it now so it's a bit more than brand new now. I worked out my unhappyness factor as the amount of time I've had it divided by the number of days that it's been with the dealer so it's actually about 97% at the moment. :P
    Ha ha. Mine's been at the dealer's for over two weeks out of 3 months, so that's about 80% happiness time!

But having said that, I too would buy the very same car again if I had to buy another car.
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    I have just passed 1000 miles on my SE7 (cold pkg, trailer pkg, light pkg). Not a single problem of note. This truck has been a comfortable pleasure to drive. It has performed well in snow and icy conditions especially in cases I would have avoided with my Durango. I will put it to the test trailering my sailboat in a few weeks.

My list of dislikes below are pretty minor. Other than those I do have a small wind whistle sound that I have been unable track down.

Dislikes:
    1. Clock is in a difficult to read position. It should be on the message screen right in front of the driver.
    2. The arm rest has to flipped up to buckle the driver seat belt. Probably the same case in the passenger seat but I am NEVER the passenger.
    3. CD changing is somewhat slow and noisy.
    4. Trying to buckle around a child booster seat is a two-handed adventure due to the fold-down buckle receiver. For adult seating this feature is a plus.
    5. Not much storage for stuff (jumper cables, tools, etc) in the back.
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    "I would empahsise that the LR3 is a great vehicle 99.99% of the time.

I'm impressed, GW! If you've had your LR3 for 2 weeks then that works out to about 12 seconds of bad time!"

Well, actually 120 seconds. :sick:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Well, actually 120 seconds.

Yikes! The infamous sneaky slippery floating decimal point strikes again! Thanks for the correction. :surprise:

tidester, host
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    I went to the NY Auto Show on Saturday and was shocked about how small the RR Sport seems compared to the LR-3, particularly aft of the rear seat. I am still trying to figure out the substantiation for the premium over LR-3 (about $56K base to $68K for supercharged version). Apparently, others felt the same way based on comments I overheard. Its handsome enough, though.
    There was a G4 LR-3 on display based on a HSE. Pretty awesome. Also, an 06 RR was on display which will shares the Jag engine with the LR-3 in place of the BMW unit.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The LR3 has an...

(from edmunds.com)

"Integrated body frame is just a fancy way of saying that the LR3's traditional ladder frame is aided in crash-worthiness by a body that has almost unibodylike strength. In most typical body-on-frame designs, the frame provides all the strength while the bolted-on body simply holds the passengers. The LR3's body, though, has extra strong sills that literally envelope its frame. So closely does it wrap around, in fact, that in the case of an accident, the body is forced into the frame rails greatly adding to its strength. Land Rover says that this significantly increases resistance during offset crashes, the common bugaboo of body-on-frame designs."

The 300 hp 4.4 V-8 used in the LR3 is based on Jaguar's 4.2 V-8 but modified for off-road duty. Jaguar's V-8 is not a Ford V-8. Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 does not have the potential timing chain tensioner or nikasil problems of the 4.0 liter V-8 from the 1997-2000 XK8.

Check this link:

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    This item on ebay seems too good to be true. Has anyone heard of it? I'm sure installing it would void the warranty. It would be nice for the gas mileage though.

The bids start at $30.00.
  • ronprxronprx Member Posts: 24
    With those of you that have the rear DVD player, how do you find the visibility when in the down position. It appears that it would block the rear view mirror? ANy other ideas on where to mount? The headrest is to small...below the headrest in the seat? Suggestions.

BTW - In SOuthern California, dealers are still saying that they will not accept x-plan on any HSE...claim to have list of folks waiting, however on my drive by the dealer...every day....they have a couple of HSEs just sitting there.
    Can we intall the DVD ourselves?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yup, I can just see the tech guys at Land Rover slapping their foreheads and crying "Doh!, if only we'd thought of that.............for a few cents in materials and labor we could have had those great mpg and power gains right from the start!!!"
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    Instead of paying $1500-$4500 for an installed DVD player, we ended up buying each of our kids a portable DVD player at Costco for $150 each.

So depending on the ages of your kids, this could be an option for you (plus they can take the player in other cars or planes, etc.)

And it looks like LR has the stalling problem fixed (yea!). New program for transmission shifting or such.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    I'm trying to get an HSE LR3 ordered too. My dealer said that LRNA is simply not accepting any new orders for them right now. They haven't been for a couple of months. Not sure if that is for a regional reason (Northern California) or what. No problem ordering a Range Rover Sport though. ;-)
    I've heard that too. It seems many have been at the mercy of Land Rover NA and haven't been able to order specific configurations for quite a while. Most have LR3 existing inventory and continue to get vehicles in... just not unsold inventory for people that want expensive "loaded" HSEs. If you want a specific configuration, you'll probably need to dig in larger markets... or less popular smaller markets. Alternatively, be less picky. :shades:
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Well that is interesting. I had an argument with my local dealer today telling him that other dealers are taking x-plan and so should they. Hope they don't read this!!! I have talked to a couple of dealers that will do it, but they just dont' have the exact fully loaded HSE that i want. They will for sure do an x-plan on an SE.

What have others been paying for the loaded HSE? Is the 52k range common or are there bigger deals happening. A car MSRP for 54 and change can come out around 52 and change. Anybody have any new wins for sales deals????
    tdo123, pricing discussions should be in the LR3 Prices Paid & Buying Experiences forum.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Grommet- you are correct. I actually forgot about that as I have not been tracking that discussion. One might think you and tidester are in cahoots!! :) with comments like that.

Here is one for THIS forum....do the number buttons on the radio work the phone with the blue tooth? Do they server any other functions. Last time I had a test drive they did not provide a function other then for the radio, I think.
    Actually the radio does function as the phone interface on the LR3 only because the NAV is optional. Otherwise the phone functions would be on the NAV screen, which would be cooler.

The LR3 radio has a phone button and the radio presets double as a keypad with * and # included. The LCD display is also alpha numeric to show phone info.
    The current LR3s are not fitted with PTI/Bluetooth... it's a forthcoming optional "factory" feature for the US and it will use the radio head unit. (No information if a retrofit kit will be offered.)

So in the cars you have seen, the buttons are indeed only for the radio. (The little Phone button does little but say it isn't available.)
    What he is asking is if the radio also functions as the controls for the phone. So yes the radio interface is the same as the phone interface. Of course the phone is not yet activated but when it does, there is no additional hardware that will be visible on the radio face itself. Which I cool, the retrofit should be plug and play.
    norbn, I thought I said that: "it will use the radio head unit" :) Though that's only what I've been told; I've never seen it in action. Anyway, about a possible "retrofit"... the current Land Rover PTI/Bluetooth dealer-install kit that some other markets have does not integrate well at all. It adds the streering wheel controls, but ignores the head unit keypad entirely. Obviously not so "plug and play."
    Has anyone heard of crash test results. I would think it would do well given how solid it feels and the construction.

Also, any rollover results. This is what gets most SUVs in trouble. I understand that there are electronics involved to brake to prevent rollovers.

Thanks in advance.
    Anyone use regular unleaded? How has your LR3 performed with it.
    They might not even test the LR3 because of the low volume nature of its sales. Its more cost effective to test only the higher volume cars because it will effect more people.
    I saw that the Discovery II got 5 stars for frontal impact. Only 2 stars for side impact.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Vote now, and don't miss the Most Significant category.

Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2005

Steve, Host
  • jerseygirl4jerseygirl4 Member Posts: 1
    I was so happy to read this! I'm tired of hearing, "why are you downgrading from a RR?" I love my 2003 Range Rover, but am ready for a new car. I hope I can get a good price & trade in value this week so I can have my LR3 soon! Can't wait! :)
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    Can someone provide info on accessing the hidden setup menu for the LCD?
    Grr: my LR3 just had yet ANOTHER suspension failure.

On this, a warm (18C) and dry Sunday, a few minutes after starting up after lunch, while driving normally (I was not doing anything, just driving steady on a straight and flat road) the car suddenly sounded a "ping" and displayed "SUSPENSION FAULT", and the yellow suspension failure lamp came on. After 10 seconds or so, it pinged again and went to "Suspension - Normal Height Selected", and the error cleared. This entire sequence now repeated *three more times* in the next few minutes, before it settled and the car performed normally.

Of course this /would/ happen on Sunday, at my second property in Mono, 100km from the nearest Land Rover dealer! I have now had, what, four random failures? All are slightly different and all involve the suspension. Budds in Oakville and Land Rover corporate have been very supportive and have spent many weeks looking at my car. Every time I get it back with the message it is OK now and should not fail again. But every time, it has.

In spite of their much appreciated efforts, I feel I can no longer trust the engineers to get my truck reliable. I love the LR3 to bits, but can not trust my particular car. Groan!
    Oh and I just started the car and it did it again.

I want a new car. Canada does not have Lemon policies but I presume LR will be reasonable.
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    Michael, one solution, clearly not a great one but not the worst one either, is to trade the car in to your dealer for a new one. How can they ethically not give you a great deal?!
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    It doesn't happen everytime, but often enough, for no particular reason, I'll hear a 'ding' and no message is displayed to the info screen. Anybody know what this is?
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    It happens to me at 39 degrees F.

Some sort of "it's cold out here" message.

;)
    That is indeed the "cold, beware of possible icing" message! Your temperature will flash when that happens (at 4 degrees C)

Michael
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    I have 5000 miles on my LR3 SE7; and I finally decided to wash and wax the truck myself. (I know, I know, I allowed others to monkey with it; I'm a very bad man.) And I found 4 very small dings thru the paint on the hood. Two look like the result of highway rocks.

But 2 are symmetrically opposed on the hood directly in front of the windshield. Specifically, the are on the edge (not top) of the hood in front of the A-pillars. Anyone have any idea how they might have gotten there? I don't believe that their location is a coincidence. So, my thoughts are: (1) pre-existing, from factory install of hood (but you'd think I would have seen them by now); (2) some material (dust, small stones, water, washer fluid) routinely is directed thru the gap between the A-pillars and the edge of the hood; (3) someone opening the hood forcefully and it banging into/scraping the A-pillars.