Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• bavarianboybavarianboy Member Posts: 3
    I live in the Alps and had a 97 Discovery that I thought was excellent in this harsher environment. I never worried about getting stuck and it was not over the top in luxury. Gas mileage and steep mountain roads brake heating were two negatives, but I never worried about getting stuck. As it approached 110,000 I decided to sell it and am thinking about a LR 3. The only package I would get is the Cold Weather option. I am a little worried about all the new electronics and computer controls. Do you think this is the vehicle for a very tough environment? Thanks
  • knabstrknabstr Member Posts: 1
    I believe you mean Auxiliary lamps. The legal lighting pattern allows for fog lamps to be illuminated with low beams only. While auxiliary lamps can only be used with high beams. So no that doesn't seem strange. However their are ways to mod the switch they installed so you can manually select when your Aux lights are on.
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    I ordered my HSE in December and will be getting it in about 3 weeks. I am getting it under Z-plan. If I was paying full price, I would have demanded some free accessories for such a long wait. But I'm getting about $5K off, so do you think I should just be happy with that? Just looking for some opinions...
  • washparkhornwashparkhorn Member Posts: 2
    Barvarianboy - I live in Colorado and took my 97 Disco all over the back roads/4wd roads in the mountains of Colorado. I never got stuck and, like you, I never feared getting stuck with the 97 Disco. The engine was adequate, but nothing special and the truck leaked all the time (despite a lot of time in the shop).

I just bought the new LR3 for my wife and was quite impressed with it. I haven't taken it out to the back roads yet, but it seem almost as capable as the Disco was. Two things stand out - 1st, Discos had live axles; the LR3s have fully independent double wishbone suspensions. The independent suspension makes this a much better on the pavement vehicle, but will decrease some of its ability off road. 2nd - there is a lot of plastic on the body of the LR3. From an aesthetic perspective, it works. From an off road perspective, I will worry a little about its durability.

I will update after I take it out in the mountains (the snow still lingers here in Colorado). But, from a perspective of reliability, I already trust this vehicle much more than I did my old leaky 97 Disco.

As for packages/options, the cold weather is a good option to take. I would also consider the heavy duty package (full size spare tire and active locking rear differential) and the navigation system, with its 4x4 information system to tell you what is going on with the wheels (and where you are at).
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I think if you searched this forum, you would find the answer. We had a thread here recently about tires. The only good options for the LR3 rim are the Michelin Synchrones, that's it! The Wrangler HPs are great on the road, but suck in the snow, and in dry loose sand, you have to let alot of air out or you're gonna get stuck real fast.

The only option, and it's an awesome option, are the Goodyear MT/R's for the 255/55/19 wheel. These tires are used in the G4 LR3's that have been mentioned on this forum.
    You can actually buy these MTRs from a place (Bronco's 4x4) in the UK. Somebody on this forum was to do a group buy, but I never heard back from him. For some reason, you cannot buy these tires from anywhere in the USA or Canada.

Now for the bad news. Due to unwieldy size, each tire will cost you about $600 to your door. My qoute was for more than $3000 for a set of 5 tires.
  • woodman438woodman438 Member Posts: 8
    i am keen to do this too; anyone want to elaborate more on this information:

the rear of the TSD (touch screen display) has 6 sockets on it, they are:
    C2819 - which is the main connector for power, audio, etc...
    C2825 - is the MOST network in and out
    C2820 - is the Video Screen - i presume this to be as in "gnd" as its a touchscreen

There are 3 other connectors which all seem to be the same time, although they are different colours: tan, brown, green

A picture of the rear of the TSD can be seen here image

Also in other LR3 official documentation is states: "The television tuner is connected to the rest of the video system on the
    MOST bus. Audio and control signals are passed on the MOST bus while video is
    transmitted via a coaxial cable to the Touch Screen Display (TSD).
    "

These connectors could easily be coax connections, and especially as the diagonistic screen reports 3 different possible video inputs - companion cam, reversing cam and DVD/TV

Now how do you make these active? i presume you can select them from the diag screen? but its not ideal really!

Finally the diag screen refers to RSE when talking about video inputs, REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT which is a future option that provides a 10 disc DVD changer and LCD drop down monitor in the back. The RSE includes DVD, monitor, TV Tuner, and more importantly the RSE Control Module!

I presume the inclusion of this module makes the "option" on the TSD to select it active???

One final thought, VW/Audi have a module for TV and stuff but the car has to be CODED to know that the module is actually there. You can on an audi code the car to tell it there is a TV module there even when it is not - obviously you dont get TV but the option on the Nav screen does appear!! - maybe LR3 is the same, especially as the diag screen talks about coding and displays lots of binary on/off stuff

That concludes my 2 pence worth!

Does anyone know what type of connectors these are?

Woodman">
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    woodman438, the "Navigation" system core is generic for LR3, Range Rover Sport and 05+ Range Rover... for any of the markets they may be in. But options, modules, etc. are tweaked.

Regarding "RSE" -- it's not a "future option"... the '06 Range Rover Sport, for example, has factory installed dual monitors on the seats and a DVD changer, instead of the LR3's "all-in-1" DVD install. But don't expect a "TV Tuner" OEM feature from anyone in North America. (FYI: The somewhat flakey LR technical documentation will not only mention other market features... it mentions features that were dropped before production. Like Tire Pressure Monitoring.)

The 3 RCA inputs may indeed be composite video inputs that are used by the optional or non-available features, but none of my contacts ever gave me confirmation.
    I guess I shouldn't have said "3 RCA inputs"... There are three connectors, but I've haven't taken it apart myself to really check... it's not really clear they are "RCA" style connectors from any of the shots I've seen.
    grommet - thanks for the info - you are correct i was using knowledge from LR documentation! interesting though that it does contain "actual" pictures of a TV tuner in a LR3 though.... one must exist somewhere!!!

I dont think they are RCA connectors, they look like the aerial type connector that you currently see in BMW's (or similar) - this makes sense as they refer to the cable being coax.

I may be brave this weekend and take the car apart, plug a composite video signal in there and see what happens! I am pretty sure you will be able to access the picture through the diagnostic menu... which also works while driving!

I'll keep you posted (unless anyone else has already tried this of course!)
  • lr3_magiclr3_magic Member Posts: 18
    When in May are you getting your HSE? I also ordered an HSE in December and cannot get a firm delivery date from the dealership. Originally told May, but am now being told maybe July. LR told my dealership that HSE models were delayed because of problems with LCD Nav screens. Dealer did mention that he was getting in SE models with Nav so that seems strange that only some are being held back.

To the Forum readers: Why can't LR give out a vehicle build date and delivery date for orders made back in 2004? Am I getting the run around from dealership or LR? I read on the Forum about people walking into dealerships and buying fully loaded LR3 HSE models and yet I as an order holder cannot get a vehicle or an answer.

Frustrated in Houston!
    lr3_magic, it's just "how it is." There have been delays and order limitations. Not much a specific dealer can do. As I mentioned before.... LR3 (Discovery 3) just launched in other (ROW) markets, and the Range Rover Sport is coming soon. It's likely not to ease up.

Of course some dealers might have a model configuration that is close to what you want in stock... but you'd need to dig for it. If "you need it now", you may need to settle.
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    It was built a couple weeks ago, and was shipped about 3 days ago. Salesman said it takes about 3 weeks travel time from England to NJ to Buffalo. I don't have the actual date. I was originally told March/April for delivery.
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    This is just an update on our horn issue.

Land Rover came immediately to tow the car. They had it for 1.5 days. They told us upon pickup that they would not be able to get to it for 24 hours. They found a broken spring canister/cassette in the steering column, beneath the horn. It had broken (probably due to the previously mentioned pothole) and shorted, keeping the horn on, until the horn motor(s) and fuse burned out. LR replaced the spring part and a fuse and two horn motors.

Works properly now.
    there is big progress.....!!!

done some initial tests tonight and its looking very good!

its dark so, but will develop this further tomorrow!!!

W
    Cool. You are braver than I, woodman.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    lr3_magic, Sorry to hear about your (and other's) delays. HSE's are out there in small quantity. Not sure what colors/options were looking for, but I checked LR Dallas dealer web site and saw (2) HSE's in stock.

I'm one of those with lucky timing and picked up an HSE last Saturday off the lot. It was exactly how I would have ordered - all options except tow package, still wrapped from shipping. Would have preferred to wait for '06 model with factory PTI, but...

Our dealer mentioned that their next alotment had about 5 or 6 that are not yet spoken for. So, you may want to check around and might get lucky with your combination.

The NAV screen sounds like an excuse to me.
  • rcdohrcdoh Member Posts: 7
    I also ordered my HSE in Dec. First I was told March then April now it will be here May 15. Im in the Bay area. I know Encino Land Rover in So Cal has gotten several HSEs in just not the combo we wanted. The dealer you ordered through should have an order confirmation number for you if Land Rover has excepted the order and then a VIN once the car has been built. You should ask about those to make sure your not getting lip service. Keep in mind Land Rover is a very small mfg. and has been swamped with orders. Good luck
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info. But how do I modify the switch to manually select low beam? The switch is installed separately high on the dash and I am no expert in these matters.
    You'd need to rewire. Sorry, I have no auxiliary lights currently.

I do question why you wouldn't want it this way, though. I always found it quite handy to be able to switch the aux lights on/off using the steering column's high beam selector while off-road. (Having both on was never an issue.)

It would probably be smarter to add yet another switch/relay so you can have it "both ways." Ask your local custom lighting installer.
  • w6000w6000 Member Posts: 2
    There are also other choices for tires in the OEM sizes of 255 60 18. Check out TOYO Proxes, and a company called Nokian which makes an excellent snow tire. The Toyo's are much better than the Goodyear's and much less expensive, even less than the Mich. The Nokian have excellent reviews for a snow tire, but they are hard to find
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    Our new HSE had the wrong steering column installed (missing voice activation switch and wiring). March 2005 build date (SALAG VIN). Dealer mentioned that they had at least 1 other like this. Anyone else experience this goof? I caught it at delivery and it will be replaced soon. Anyone taking delivery soon (with NAV) may want to double check.
    brave yes!!! but successful too!!!

image">
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    Way to go Woodman! Which of the three connectors did you use, and what was it called in the diagnostic menu?
    Good job. You'll have to document your findings... what the connector type really is, which each input is labeled in diag/debug, etc.... and if you could do anything beyond just viewing in test mode. I'm assuming we'll be NTSC instead of PAL, though. :)

I would hope the forthcoming '06 RR and/or RRS tech documentation will eventually have better info. :P
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    Please tell me your intention is not to watch DVD's while you drive!
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    How do you access the Diag screen?
    i did take pics of every step so ill put it all together in a document and upload it somewhere

glad you all approve! :shades:
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I just saw an Washington Post advertisement for new LR3's (5 in stock) at "up to $7,000 off). Can this be right? Dealer was in Virginia.

What is the best pricing folks have gotten or heard of??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    Wa Hoo on the video!!
    How's $44,000 for an HSE with trailer tow, convenience, and climate package? That was my deal.....
    rbarco, post pricing/deals 'til you turn blue... in the pricing forum... :shades:
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    nbarco,

Please post your dealer and how you got the deal (in the price paid forum if you like).

Your deal is $3000 below INVOICE. Unbelievable!! You must share the info!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link to Land Rover LR3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.

tidester, host
    Hi Guys

So here it is, good luck - all i ask is that you let me know if you find it useful!

Woodmans LR3 Video Guide

Enjoy

Woodman438
  • alee1alee1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have this feature and if so, how is it working for you?

Thanks
    if you mean the Rosen DVD dealer system then yes i have it and its fine

the rear entertainment system as made by LR, was omitted from the Disco3 and will only be in RR 06+
    Thanks, woodman438. Too bad the odd video connectors aren't common. Now let's hope we don't have a bunch of people making this modification & driving in Navigation diag mode so they can watch movies while driving. :surprise:

I guess that settles that all the LR vehcies use direct (non-MOST) composite video connections for anything they support...

By the way, there is chance that Range Rover Sport and/or 06+ Range Rover will allow video to be watched on the front screen if the car is stopped without any mods. But nothing confirmed... RR is probably a better chance.
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    This is really nice, but it would be perfect if you could access it without
    going through the diag menu. I guess a flash mod/upgrade, or even better
    an internal switch that would put the Watch Video button on the main nav menu
    (Next to Navigatin/4x4 /settings)

BTW: Great work woodman!! :shades:

Paul
  • adrian4adrian4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm interested in ordering an LR3 (Discovery 3 here in Australia). Can anyone tell me when the Land Rover Solihull Factory closes for re-tooling. Ideally I would like the build date to be post close down. My dealer here thought it was July or August.
    Can anyone shed some light on this??

Thanks
    grommet - the MOST network only supports control and audio data signals, it doesnt support video. MOST is developed by Harman who I know quite well although in a different divison - my contacts have confirmed this.

interestingly enough there are a number of networks that run within the LR3, all do very different things at very different speeds - they are:

High speed CAN 500 kbits/s 11898
    Medium speed CAN 125 kbits/s 11898
    MOST 24 Mbs MOST Cooperation
    GVIF 1.95 Gbps Sony proprietary system
    LIN 9.6Kbs LIN consortium

The GVIF network is the only one that transmit video, this is used to get the graphical information from the Nav drive onto the touch screen.

You are correct that the RRS and RR 06+ will have the option to select video on the front screen (I have seen it), BUT as this is the standard way of selecting it, the software is programmed to disable the picture when the vehicle starts moving. This is done in the excat same why as some of the navigation buttons become greyed out whilst moving.

So although the diagnostic menu may not be the ideal menu to access the video by due to the amount of key presses it does provide video in motion!

In the words of Big Brother..... you decide!!!
  • srze2002srze2002 Member Posts: 1
    Do any of them stay on when the car is off so that the cell phone will charge?

Thanks
    woodman438, MOST can support video. It just doesn't in LR's implementation. (I know DaimlerChrysler & VW/Audi have used it.) Complex "infotainment" integration isn't LR's target market, so it's understandable... though I still wish those bozos displayed CD Text and MP3 tag info like an entry level car can now. :mad:
    Sorry, srze2002... the power ports/cigarette lighters are off when ignition is off.
  • lovelr3lovelr3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Just realized that the passenger leather seat has a small tear. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks.
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Cstaats33,

Wonder if you have the chance to find out from your friends regarding the lemon process. Unfortunately, it seems like I will need to pursue it at this time. Basically after my last update, the car went in the shop for 2 weeks (4th times/ over 30days overall repair period) for some grounding fix for which the dealer/manufacturer thought was the cause to the problem.
    After we got the car back last thursday, on Friday the same problems surface.

Acording to the LR3 booklet provided, we could contact BBB and do an arbitration. I am just wondering besides BBB, if we were to hire an attorney like I have been reading online, will the attoney fee be responsible by the manufacturer?? Somehow I feel by hiring an attorney, it will be more legit and sucessful..

Please provide your suggestions. If anyone has experience, please feel free to share. Thank you all for your help.
  • johnroverjohnrover Member Posts: 2
    before you go threw with a lawyer talk to the dealer !
    and before you do that ,the lr3 has alot of computers on it and when starting it you can send up those faults!
    1st put key in and to till the display says "system check"

wait! till check goes off! then turn key the rest of the way...........WAIT don't put it in gear till all the lights go off!......try this first,please
    might have to do it acouple times to clear the system

if that doesn't work then talkt to the dealer.....if that doesn't work just call land rover north america
  • johnroverjohnrover Member Posts: 2
    THE SYSTEM THAT IS OUT WON'T PLAY THREW THE CAR SPEAKERS!(only the wireless head phones)
    UPDATED SYSTEM WON'T BE OUT TILL MID-JUNE

IF YOU BUY IT MAKE SURE YOU BUY IT AT TIME OF SALE SO IT HAS THE SAME WARRANTY AS THE LR3 DOES!~4yr 50k~
    (and the 06+ rr will have a new system in the headrest2 screens)
    don't go after market! with the fiber optics it can get really messy
    johnrover, there are no fiber optics connecting the LR3 OEM all-in-one DVD system to the vehicle... the wiring for audio to the head unit is good ol' analog L+R. The corrected Rosen supplied unit even works at specified... ;)

After-market DVD is just fine... and you can do better on cost, features & size.
    Is there a L+R analog in the rear of the head unit designed specifically for the DVD entertainment system? Also how is fuse box access for this, or is there a pre-wired connector somewhere fof this setup?