Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Just drove through our first big rain and the LR3 is confidnece inspiring. You feel so safe in the big brute and seeing the giant rain through the sunroofs is cool. Big puddles? No problems. Standing sheets of water? No problem. The AWD and the heavy weight makes this a comfy ride, with plenty of power too. I love this car! I was actually hoping for a flood.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    It's shared with the "AUX" input to my knowledge. http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com should have the LR3 OEM DVD installation guide pictograms if you are curious how the dealer install works. (Internet Explorer required.)
  • yamimanyamiman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

how would you rank LR3 SE with 2.7 liter V6 diesel vs. the new Mercedes ML 320 CDI ? I know that ML is not real off road car as LR3 is but mainly I'm driving on road. Which of these will be better:
    - sability in curves
    - 60-80 mph speed
    - which had less noise
    - suspension
    - comfort
    - value for money
    - reliability

Yamiman
  • rcdohrcdoh Member Posts: 7
    Your asking a group of people who are most likely bias to the LR3. Why don't you do a side by side comparison and look at both vehicles at dealers. (Then buy the LR3. J/K). You'll know what best fits your needs!
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    The UK motoring press have been testing the ML 320cdi quite a bit in recent weeks. Most appear well impressed and conclude that the vehicle is light years ahead of the old ML270cdi (which had been totally overtaken by more recent vehicles). However 4 out of 5 tests I have read conclude that they would still rather have the LR3 tdv6 as it has more style, better road manners a sweeter engine and a far more flexible and practical interior lay out (oh yes it also spanks the Merc offroad). The difference is probably fairly narrow though so it simply comes down to personal taste. Although if you want 7 seats then only the LR3 offers that, the Merc is strictly a 5 seater. If you just need 5 seats I suggest you wait to test a Range Rovers Sport before making a decision.
  • guess402guess402 Member Posts: 11
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I am over in london right now and just saw a discovery 3 with front park distance. I dont understand why they can have that over here but didnt put it in any of our cars even though we pay for it. Maybe this will be new for 2006 i know that I wish I had it
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    There is a new LR Vehicle Kit Bulletin out applicable to USA & Canada regarding the Bluetooth Accessory Personal Telephone Integration Kit.

Bulletin # VKP05-02
    Dated: May 11th, 2005

It mentions as follows:

"The system does not have any ability for controls through the radio. Also, no cradle is available for this system.
    This system is voice operated only and Bluetooth only"

P/N: VUB501151 Installation Kit = $245.00
    P/N: XVJ500121 Cell Control Assy (English) = $176.00

I guess aftermarket maybe the best way to go with something like TellPhone™ 4000 Blue
    Yes, that's the retrofit PTI/Bluetooth "kit" that was available overseas for quite a while. Limited integration. It adds 2 phone buttons to the steering wheel and voice control only. Rumor was a "2.0" version might be available that was similar to the factory PTI, but I have no confirmation on that.

You can do much better with a 3rd party kit until further notice. And those prices don't include labor, either. :P
  • awulfawulf Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, Getting my LR3 this week, I still can ask for the nav system option if I want it.
    My question is, the AUX option what does this support ie. audio input from external source.
    My thinking is use an external DVD changer + nav. system & input the audio via AUX. and install a raw monitor in the factory spot or put in a 10" on actuator to push it out of the dash and retract back in, w/manual tilt up to make it simpler. I to would love to keep it all factory, since ALPINE makes the "ICE" "MOST" system maybe they can help with this video will moving issue. :confuse:
    The actual AUX audio port for the stereo is on the rear of the center console. It's a stereo mini-jack. You can, of course, add your own bypass.

Alpine won't "help" anything. Remember, it's illegal in most locations to be able to view video while driving. (In California, a video playback screen can not even be within the driver's view while driving.) FYI: The factory Navigation is a Denso design, but as with everything... LR is untimately responsible for the implementation.
  • azchrisazazchrisaz Member Posts: 4
    I have had my LR3 in the shop for the past 5 days with a SUSPENSION FAULT . After those 5 days they say that everything is back to normal and there is no fault. 30 miles after picking up car from the dealer the SUSPENSION FAULT is displayed again. Is anyone else having this problem? Please advise, thank you.
    Enter "Suspension Fault" in the "Search This Discussion" box.
  • 3rdgin3rdgin Member Posts: 22
    grommet or anybody,

I'm still considering the LR3. One accessory that is a must is the DVD entertainment system; however, LR's is pretty darn expensive. Has anybody installed an after market system and how does it work? also, what brand fits the LR3?
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    After 3 weeks in the shop and various loaner, I got the car back. No suspension fault this week. In summary they replaced the compressor and a relay. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

The car has a slight pull to the right hopefully it just needs to be aligned (not sure why this was not done while in the shop), I have an appointment in two weeks to drop it off. I see a lot of Land Rover's on the road in St Petersburg. I hope this shop is just backed up and this is not their usual way of conducting business.

Also I inquired about getting my software update since my vehicle was on the road before all the stalling problems. They told me it's up to date. Hard to believe.
    Unlike the '06 Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, which will offer a fully integrated factory Rear Entertainment System/DVD... the LR3 DVD system, which is dealer installed only, is just an "all-in-one" unit (Rosen) that isn't much different than what you can get from a custom installer.

Talk to an installer and they can give you numerous options. Many will fit... and it'll be more affordable. It's too bad the LR3 doesn't get the RR and RRS system, which can be justified.
  • awulfawulf Member Posts: 2
    Hey guess what I found.
    (www.nav-tv.com) Six to Eight weeks out on LR3 video controled by the touch screen factory nav system. Including BMW/ROVER tv-tuner, and direct in video/audio for mutimedia, auto switching, while moving or not. And just my luck there in the South Florida area. I will post any other info as I get it. :)
    awulf, are you sure? I thought their kit only supported the (less capable) BMW head unit, as seen in the older Range Rover. (NAV-TV sells the actual BMW factory video/tuner module and a harness/cable.)

The LR3, Range Rover Sport, & 2005+ Range Rover does not use the old BMW system... so putting in a BMW video and tuner module might not be plug-and-play. :P

I've seen their very popular video screen bypass/switching systems installed in many cars... works great for backup cameras, video, etc. But those aren't really "integrated."
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    On other Disco/LR3 message boards I post links to this Edmunds board...
    If I post here a link to another message board, will you censor, err, delete it??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We don't censor. We assure we're all abiding by the Terms of Use to which we all agreed when we signed on to these forums.

You agreed not to post links to other message boards and forums. If you have further questions, please take it to email.

Also, we're not moderators. We're hosts. There's a difference!

Thank you.

tidester, host
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    I hope six to eight weeks is true.... Called them in late march and was told a few weeks. this is after two local Auto Electronics shops suggested I call them. Both spoke very highly of their products.
  • dstolidstoli Member Posts: 5
    Okay, a dealer in my area is advertising a used LR3 SE with app. 3400 miles. The asking price is $45,900. I called and the thing is loaded with nav, lighting, rear reat, almost every option, probably stickering out at about $53K new. Then he told me why: The owner had a transmission problem -- fluid in the tranny, he said. So they replaced the transmission with a new one, but the owner didn't want the car. He said they bought it back and are now selling it. Am I insane to consider buying a car with this history? Or is it a good way to save some coin? How low would anyone suggest offering on the car? Thanks for any thoughts.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .............The owner had a transmission problem -- fluid in the tranny, he said..........

Do you mean water in the transmission? If so, I think I'd like to know how it got there.
    yes, you're right. He said water in the transmission. I have no idea how it got there, but I assume from your question that you mean there may be another problem with the car that caused it in the first place.
    .......you mean there may be another problem with the car........

More likely a problem with the driver. Usual cause of water in the transmission is by driving into too deep water (or flood damage). There's no other way to get water in there that I can think of off hand. I'd be interested to hear the dealer's explanation. ;)
  • caldreamncaldreamn Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem in a different brand of car, took it to the dealer, they fixed it for free under the warranty. Turns out when installed by the factory the leather had a crease in it that I would never have noticed.

I realize my experience wasn't with Land Rover, but so long as the vehicle is under warranty it never hurts to ask.
    So if they replaced the transmission, would you think the car is good as new? Or is there a potential of this car being some kind of lemon? Just asking you opinion -- no one knows for sure, obviously.
    The answer really depends on how the water got into the transmission. What else got wet? Was it a quick splash in fresh water, or was it soaked in seawater? Ask what else has been repaired or replaced.

It's impossible for the transmission to have ingested water without the axles and two thirds of the engine compartment being submerged. Possibly water in the interior as well.

All of this points to the possibility of electrical problems down the line (as if dry LR3s didn't have enough problems of their own ;) )

My opinion (you did ask)................run in the opposite direction.
  • tliagtliag Member Posts: 2
    I just got the suspension fault message last night on my LR3. Vehicle seems to run ok otherwise but cannot change height, as if the system cannot generate enough air to perform the function. What is the latest with your situation? Thanks.
  • tliagtliag Member Posts: 2
    The vehicle does seem to ding when the temp drops below 40, perhaps a potential icing condition warning message.
    That's what happened to my vehicle. It drove okay at first but it got worse as time went on. They have replaced the relay and compressor. It seems to be working fine now. But the steering wheel in not centered when I drive. I think they just did not align it after doing the work. They'll look at it next week.

It would be great if we can fine the underline cause of a compressor blowing.
    Was it an air leak. The relay, or something else. I don't want them to replace parts and not fix the cause.

Also a leaking rear diff seal was replaced at the same time. .
    The US web site was updated with V6 SE information. All model specifications:
    http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/LR3/Specifications/Standard%20Features%20and%20- Options.htm

As mentioned before, lowest trim V6 will be unavailable until 2006 -- so it's not mentioned.
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    My LR3 is great! If there are 5 things I don't like about it, then there are 150 things I do like.

One thing that I don't like (and maybe I haven't figured it out yet) is that when I play a burned CD (150 to 175 average sized songs), there doesn't seem to be a way to choose the desired track using the keypad. Voice allows me to choose up to number 99, but if I want to get to, say, song 135 it means clicking the > 36 more times.

Am I missing something here? Is there some way to choose an MP3 with the keypad that I don't know about? I mean, why else is it there...to choose CDs 1-6?...in case someday Bluetooth gets installed? It seems a waste. (Woodsman...stop wastin' all that brain power on video...find a hack for this problem or maybe a way around the caution screen :) ).

The other four things I don't like are:

1.) No MP3 tags
    2.) Automatic turn off of the high level seat warmers
    3.) A clock needs to be a choice on the Drivers Info Screen
    4.) Caution screen - nav owners know what I mean...

Still...all in all...it's great.

If anybody has any answers, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    1) Yes, poor design. The 99 track limit for voice control is a bug that should be fixed (Audio CDs can only go to 99, but MP3 data discs can obviously got higher.) Send LR your feedback. The keypad only does disc changes (1-6) in CD mode. In radio mode, it can be used to tune in stations. And, if the car had PTI/Bluetooth outfitted from factory, it can be used as a phone keypad.

2) & 3) Send LR your feedback.
    4) Not going to happen. Thank your friendly lawyer. :P
    You can use the arrows to go from folder to folder, you should burn your mp3 disc organized in folders, a playlist if you will. You then use the arrow buttons to navigate from folder to folder.
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    Great idea...one I hadn't thought of...I burned the contents of a misc folder onto the 6 CDs I'm currently listening to...the original folder on my laptop I called 'misc' because it mostly consisted of singles, not albums...when I switch to listening to albums, I'll definately copy different artists into their own folders...thanks for the great idea.
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    6,300 miles and our first minor issue. The low oil pressure light came on this weekend. I ran to my pc and logged into this board to search for low oil pressure light. I then read about errant warning lights sometimes coming on after the truck is exposed to water. Our light lit up right after a trip to the car wash. 8 hours later (after it dried) no more light. It's scheduled to go in next week to have some drainage tube re-routed. Anyone know about this? And thanks for posting these problems before, it was great info to have.

David
    St. Louis
  • mrlithicmrlithic Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to purchase a new LR3 SE fully loaded or a demo LR3 HSE w/ 1600 miles on it that a dealer manager or owner waqs using for personal use. The price point is about the same. What do you all think about demo vehicles??
    I'd personally go with the HSE with the 1600 miles if you'd really rather have the extra options. Better resale, I bet. I bought an SE because the dealer gave me a fairly big discount on it and would not discount the price of an HSE at all, nor could they find the color I wanted. I saved about $3500 bucks that way over buying the HSE at full sticker. I don't think the 1600 miles are a big deal at all.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone know the "offset" for the stock 18x8 wheels that come on the LR3 SE? I am looking for some after market rims and want to make sure I get the right offset.

Thanks
    What tube is this?
  • td4td4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi KKONE,

The stud pattern spec for the Disco3/LR3 is 5 x 14mm x 1.5 twist studs, 5 x 120mm PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) holes, 53mm offset, 163mm mounting face diameter, Spigot bore diameter 72.63 to 72.56mm for a vehicle spigot of 72.5 to 72.47mm.

However there is a large "X" factor on this rim. I understand "X" factor is a measure of the distance from the rim face to the inside of the spokes. What this means is 18" Range Rover 2004 rims are the same stud pattern as 18" D3/LR3 rims but the spokes on the RR rim catch on the brake callipers on a D3/LR3. I tried my RR rims on a V8 and my TDV6, even though the disc rotor size is smaller on the diesel, the front callipers protrude 15-17mm past the hub mounting face, on the rear its only around 5mm.

Whatever rim you come up with, be sure its weight rated to suit the car, so as to keep your insurance cover.

Thers is an Australian Manufacturer of rims (Mullins) that will make strong alloy rims to suit the D3/LR3 though the offset is close at 48mm and the weight rating is better than Land Rover spec. I think the wheelnuts are standard Toyota Landcruiser 14mm x 1.5 twist. Cost is around AU$400 from memory.

Hope this helps,

TD4
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    C/D TV schedule lists the LR3 on their show this weekend (SpikeTV). Oddly, the link from their website states LR3, but points to the RR Sport review from last month.
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    I ordered my fully loaded HSE7 Black/Black back in December and just got it today. I was really disappointed with the lack of one option that I ordered--the cooler box. My salesman told me that they stopped putting them in and only did it for a very short time. He thought I was still going to get it because we ordered it so long ago, but it wasn't there. Anybody else have this happen to them? I was really looking forward to having a fridge in my car...
    Otherwise the truck is awesome. I love talking to my Nav guy. My salesman at Land Rover Amherst was great. He had the "Have love, will travel" song playing when I started it up. :)
    Does anyone know where I can order the 5 spoke 18" wheels that come on the Discovery 3 SE in the United Kingdom?
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    Lots of those wheels on ebay all the time.
    I tried looking on E-Bay. There are a lots of USA spec OEM wheels. No OEM spec for UK wheels. I was hoping to find a UK website that sells OEM LR3 wheels that will ship overseas and is cheaper than buying from the Land Rover dealership in the USA. I saw a website a few week ago that sold them, but never bookmarked it and now cannot find it again.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You could try Craigslist in London (or one of the other UK cities). There's a set of Range Rover wheels on there right now.

Steve, Host
  • amusze1amusze1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a loaner from the dealer while my discovery's in the shop... what do i need to work my ipod in the lr3 and where's the aux?
    The AUX in Land Rover's wisdom, is behind the center console facing the rear seats, there is a trap door to access it along with the accessory power socket.
    My LR3 was at the dealer for 3 weeks...I got it back with bird dropings on it. It took me a week to clean the car. Once I cleaned it I noticed the paint has been eaten away passed the clear coat. . Is this just my fault for not having it cleaned as soon as I got it back from the dealer?

Note: My wife was with me when we picked the car up. And wanted to tell that you need to get the dropping off the car. But It was Friday and we wanted to get home. So she did not.