Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• mcalpinetmcalpinet Member Posts: 1
    I too am considering a least on an LR3. Your "deal" seems very good. Would you share your dealer contact information? While I'm not in KC, it's close enough for a lease rate like you describe.

Thanks.
  • stevelr3stevelr3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 LR3 HSE, silver w/ black interior. Purchased 6/05. I have had issues with hazing on the interior door panels. It has seemed to go away with leather cleaner but should not have been delivered by the dealer in this condition.

Curious if anyone is having problems with side view mirror memory positions and memory seating? When the car is in reverse, and the mirrors tilt down, when the car is returned to drive the mirrors go to the factory default position . The problem continues after the mirrors have been repeatedly re-set into the memory. Perhaps an associated problem, the memory seats do not get recalled to their position from the remote they are programed to. (lazy entry is on) The first time the dealer addressed this problem, they said they reset the memory module, however the problem continues.

I also have averaged between 17 to 18 MPG at 75 MPH on interstate driving conditions.

I have read on this board that sometimes the navigation system remains on after the car has been turned off. Mine did remain on when I first got it, but has not since. The dealer said this was "normal" as the radio can be used once the car is turned off. ???

I have not heard anything about the bluetooth phone kit. Is the Land Rover kit available as an add on or aftermarket option yet? If anyone has it, does it work well and would you recommend it?

Final question: I recently had the front windows tinted at a Land Rover dealership and was told the sun roofs could not be tinted. Has anyone else been told this and were you given a reason. I am between California and Arizona and the heat can be an issue.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    You sure you are setting the mirror memory correctly? While sitting parked with the key in the ignition at position I or II (not started), adjust your seat and mirrors to your liking... then press MEM on the seat followed by 1 (or 2, or 3). This will bind your preference to the key in the ignition. Now, when opening the door with the key fob... the seat & mirrors should adjust to the specific key's setting if you have "Lazy Entry" enabled. You may also want to read the manual. :)

Search for Bluetooth or PTI... talked about numerous times.
  • stevelr3stevelr3 Member Posts: 3
    hi grommet,
    yep that is how i am setting the mirrors and seat. i even had the dealer program BOTH keys to the exact settings/memory when i left last time i was there as they thought "maybe i was using the wrong key". it is scheduled to go back in the shop in a week and a half.

one other thing i forgot to also ask in my last post, has any body had any trouble with the lumbar support on the drivers side seat? to me it feels as if it does not come out as far on the right side of the seat as it does on the left side, when it is rolled out to its max position. just curious, thanks.
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    According the the WS pdf posted on the discussion the lazy entry has nothing to do with the memory settings. I have verified this through trial and error.

When lazy entry is on for a specific key is works as follows:

"The memory settings are stored within Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) of the memory control module each time the ignition switch is cycled from position II to position I. These are the positional values that a lazy entry request uses when the remote unlock button for that particular key is next pressed. "

I think that your deal doesn't even know this.
    Yes, it's tied to the specific key... so far we've all said setting/programming the keys, and not one of the seat memory settings. :) FYI: I've always done the seat memory step (doesn't matter if it's 1, 2 or 3)... maybe it isn't necessary? But I've never had any issues.
    I was asked to post this from another forum. This is supposedly the procedure being passed around to Land Rover dealers by their technical staff to resolve confusion:

LR3 Seat Memory w/ Key Function:

• Set all preset seat positions 1, 2 and 3 (at this point do not worry about key function).
    • Turn on the Lazy Entry option using the IP’s settings menu.
    • Turn key on and select preset 1 (the one you want to program to this key), once the seat position is reached store preset 1 again. Turn key off and remove from ignition.
    • Insert same key and turn back on, press preset 2 or 3 and wait until the seat travels fully to it's preset position... then press preset 1 again and wait until the seat reaches its full travel position. Turn key off and remove from ignition.
    • Test function by pressing unlock one time.

This can all be done with the driver's door open and there is no need to lock and unlock the doors or start the engine.
    Someone posted elsewhere that their dealer is saying Sirius satellite radio will soon become a factory option for 2006 LR3... even though no documentation or press releases say it will. Land Rover customer service, at last check, says no. Anyone hear anything better than standard misinformation?
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    My LR3 is in this VIN range. So, my wife called the dealership regarding a replacement tank/loaner vehicle and they said--snippily, apparently--that we weren't supposed to know about the recall. And, they said the new part is not yet available anyway. And, they said that the recall is only for UNSOLD vehicles (they called it a "quarantine" recall) and that they weren't going to do anything--on the basis of the recall--for already sold vehicles.

Is what they say true? What am I supposed to do about it? My wife, needless to say, does not want to drive a car with a potentially exploding gas tank. I suppose I should have expected all of this from Land Rover. But griping doesn't fix things. So, does anyone know of an approach I could take to get to the bottom of this-- other than my making an unannounced visit to the dealer and making a controlled fit in front of his potential customers?
    General rule: Dealers are fairly clueless and often don't get details before you. Calling this an "exploding gas tank" issue is a bit excessive; read the full description. The document clearly says "Land Rover plans a phased notification to owners beginning the week of October 14, 2005." No need to have a fit.

Courtesy link (which may stop working): http://199.79.180.163/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2005/V/RCDNN-05V376-1657.PDF
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You probably know about this Sirius link but right now only the Range Rover and RR Sport offer it as an option.

Yahoo also said a couple of months ago that only the RR and RR Sport would get it in '06.

Hopefully the dealer was clued in and correct so you won't be limited to aftermarket.

Steve, Host
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    yeah, my gas leak occured in early Aug, but I bought my car in Mar '05. So the official LR analysis of this fault seems at odds with reality. Whatever the failure mechanism, it occured in cars that arrived here in the US in the March timeframe, ahead of the Apr/May manufacture time specified in the recall letter.
    Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the fix, in this case.
  • LandRoverOwnerLandRoverOwner Member Posts: 24
    March 2005 falls between May 2004 and April 2005. I'm pretty sure they got it right, tzo.
    grommet,

Please don't be condescending; of course I read the full description. The recall document says that it is possible that "[t]he excess fuel may be discharged onto the ground."

Such a situation is, in my opinion, not simply improper operation, but extremely unsafe. If this were to happen in the presence of a spark (cigarette, bit of metal on road, etc.), there would be catastrophic consequences (the aforementioned explosion). Even without a spark, as an engineer and a lawyer, it is my considered opinion that the forceful ejection of fuel from a gas tank during operation is a very very bad thing. And, I believe, the ejection of fuel would not just happen through the purge valve, but possibly (because of the build-up of vapor behind the liquid block) could happen through a seam in the tank (or other weak spot) (again, the aforementioned explosion).

I would be less annoyed if my dealer did not know about it. My dealer does know about it; and just isn't going to do anything until forced to. Liability-wise, this is pretty short-sighted. And, the dealer says he can't do anything about it even if he wanted to -- Land Rover has not sent him any new parts.

I am not trying to be a jerk about this; my wife and kids are in the car every day. I don't have another vehicle that accommodates them all; and I am genuinely concerned (I am not griping about overpaying; or that I have a lemon; I like my car--a lot). I was merely wondering if a call to NHTSA or LAND ROVER proper would get some results; or if the dealers do have parts and aren't doling them out, but might if I really complained. Or if there is some other approach I could take, not counting renting a mini-van for a few weeks (for which I am sure LR would not reimburse me).

BTW, I was particularly perturbed that the dealer suggested that he was ordered to retrofit the UNSOLD cars first. That bothered me.

Regards,

t
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The prospect of financial loss is great motivator. As a lawyer, I'm sure you could draft a letter to the dealership principal detailing the potential for liability, documenting his attitude to date, and noting that it will be cc'd to the appropriate persons at Land Rover corporate and the NHTSA.

Such a letter will at least document your current position, and will indicate that you're not going to be easily blown off with excuses. In all probability, you'll find that you're suddenly called in to have one of the first fixes.

Good luck.
    Thanks. I probably should just do that.

It's funny that I -- and probably others share this trait -- am probably less forward/aggressive with car dealerships/service departments than I am in my normal jobs. It's probably because, on the one hand, we all want immediate results in our favor; but on the other hand, we understand that we want a long-term relationship, where we and our cars are treated well for years.

I think that all I really want to know now is: (a) how bad is the problem (every car in that VIN range? will I notice stalling/hesitation first? etc.) and (b) Are there really new parts available to dealers now to install or will they be available only after October 14. No use getting all agitated if the problem is not that bad/extensive and/or if there is no fix available now.

Again, thanks. My wife really loves the car, she just wants to know she'll be ok in it.
    I understand your concerns, but based on the current information... the failure is pretty rare and there have been no report of fires or injuries so far. And, unless I translated incorrectly, only 20% of the vehicles that are in the recall range are possibly impacted. I'm not sweating it.

It's a safe bet Land Rover does not have enough parts now. That's a lot of fuel tanks the supplier has to produce. I have a friend that has a failing fuel pump and the fuel tank is backordered. October 14th is only the 'start' of the process; it'll take longer.
  • jbmjrjbmjr Member Posts: 8
    After doing more careful research than any other car we have purchased in 16 years, my wife and kids fell in love with the LR3 and we picked it up on August 12. This site proved very helpful in our decision. We picked up a V8 SE, fairly loaded up.

Got a call from dealer on day of pickup that rear climate control was not working. Claimed that installation of DVD system may have caused it. We wanted new vehicle for trip starting next day, so I think dealership was nervous we would kill the deal if the car was not ready the day we wanted (which we made clear to dealer ahead of time). So we took delivery with non-functional rear climate system with assurances they would repair it when we got back.

On our trip, we realized that the base climate control system would not blow any warm or hot air. The higher we set the temp, the colder and harder it blew...

Then, SRS warning light has come on two separate times. Nothing like consulting the owner's manual and having it tell you to urgently go to dealer for problem.

Vehicle is now going on 2nd day at dealer service. No luck fixing it yesterday. Had to set a special date for service so some "tech director" could be there...

Picked up LR3 loaner. Had suspension default warning light all day yesterday.

Now reading of fuel tank issues on this site, after consulting for climate control issues. Wow (no pun intended).

Cadillac dealer told me to buy 2 LR3s - so I had one when the other broke down. My family (a bunch of silly car nuts) razzed me to follow my wife when she drives it to be sure I am there to pick her up when it breaks down. I did not have the *@lls to tell them about climate control issues out of the gate.

We all love the vehicle, but this is a fairly inauspicious beginning. $3.60 gallon for premium changes situation a little, too. It seems like such an impressive job on the surface re investment in Solihull modern plant and re-engineered Disco... Proof is in the pudding, I guess.

If anyone has had rear climate control issues like this, your comments/insight are most welcome.
  • emolsemols Member Posts: 15
    hey- I can sympathize- my lr3 purchased in Nov 2004 in atlanta has been stalling intermittingly during my 9000 mile period. Finally stalled out in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic- got it to dealer and he precedes to tell me about this gas tank issue. He calle today and said the part is in and he said to bear with him as this is a new issue. He said my car was in the .7% of 1% of vehicles with this problem. They are super nice (THANKFULLY) and they did put me in a ford 500 until problem is fixed. No loaners, and they say they have grounded all lr3's until problems are resolved. My husband has had it and is having the owner of our dealer who is a friend look for a lexus- I love my lr3 problems and all but it has been driving extremely rough for about 3 months now- lots of jerking upon acceleration and no pickup at all- and I too have two small kids and 2 dogs that go everywhere with us and need reliability. I am sorry for your problem too and all I can say is that Atlanta dealer seems to have all the info on this problem. Good luck
  • travelinmantravelinman Member Posts: 28
    I bought a fully loaded V8 LR3 SE in January. Silver with tan interior. I love(d) that vehicle, and in fact drove it 19,000 miles in 7 months (obviously I drive it a lot). I gave it up last week and moved into an Audi A3. The primary motivation? Gas mileage. As gas rides towards $3.50 per gallon (premium) and who knows where beyond that, I was having incredible difficulty swallowing the $65 per fill-up (twice a week, at least).

As I said, the LR3 is a fantastic vehicle (I had zero problems in 19,000 miles). But the gas mileage around town with stoplights is WAY worse than the 14 mpg listed on the sticker (think more like 11 mpg). Highway mileage is obviously better, but a mix of city/highway at 15-16 mpg was too difficult to take.

In many ways I miss my LR3, and I still recommend it if you don't need to drive it huge distances every day, but beware the gas mileage.
    What mileage does the A3 get?

I am thinking of that or a Prius as second vehicle to mitigate my guilt ($250 per month to Exxon/Mobil and who knows how much of that to Saudi Arabia, Venezuela or others) and to compensate for premium at $3.45+ per gallon in my neck of the woods. They say it is going to come down now.... Right.
  • oleole Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 LR3 HSE two weeks ago. On mile 270, I received a suspension fault warning. When my wife sits in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag off light comes on.

Did you have any luck getting your suspension issue resolved? I just dropped my land rover off this morning - they seemed shocked to hear of such a thing...
    The Audi A3 T2.0 (which a friend's daughter owns) gets ~25 MPG mixed, vs. LR3's EPA 14/18 MPG (~15 MPG mixed). I guess you'd save ~$1800 a year if you drove 20K mostly mixed miles a year and fuel stays at $3.50 or so.

travelinman, that's one impressive switch... I do question why you bought the LR3 in the first place if you obviously didn't need any of it's capabilities. I don't think the A3 is in the same utility class. :)
  • travelinmantravelinman Member Posts: 28
    travelinman, that's one impressive switch... I do question why you bought the LR3 in the first place if you obviously didn't need any of it's capabilities. I don't think the A3 is in the same utility class.

Absolutely true. I got sucked in by the looks and the capabilities (which I did use on ocassion -- the mountains above Death Valley are out of reach of anything except a fairly capable 4x4.) Did I need the LR3? No. And after a lot of soul-searching (and gazing at the cash flow to gas stations), I decided to jump off. I took a (big) hit. But live and learn. When I bought it premium was $2.30 or so. I didn't quite expect gas to go up like it has. Of course, if I had expected it, I would have bought oil futures. Or stock in Chevron. Or something.

And again, the LR3 was wonderful in almost every sense of the word. A great fit for my needs? no. But.... I'm definitely glad I had 7 months with it!
    I stand corrected as I thought I read only past Mar 2005 dates of manufacture. If indeed as you say, then I feel better that they have got it right. Thanks for the correction.
    I was similarly perturbed by my fuel leak experience, especially since the fuel was dripping down and splasing into the hot exhaust muffler!!! OK, the temp on that metal wasn't at flash point, but what if someone ahead of me thru out a cigarette and I went over it in slow traffic. You don't know you're leaking gas if you don't have the windows open.

Well, my dealer is quite responsive... the parts/tank are indeed back ordered, he can't tell me when they are coming, but he told me I am first in line to get the repair. Sounds like I am the only one in that dealership, so far, to bring in a car for this issue. And furthermore they are putting the existing cards ahead of the unsold cars, which of course is the obvious thing to do.
  • roverdocroverdoc Member Posts: 3
    Hey, since Land Rover will not sell the remaining 2005's until the gas tank problem is fixed, those of us who have been sitting on the incline of the Confidence Course waiting to plunk down our thousands may get a wee better deal in a month or two. The recall combined with low 2006 LR3 inventory is going to make for slim sales in the near future; they'll need to make up for lost time and money and will be keen to get the '05's sold once they are released. At least I can dream....
    Update - Day 3 in shop. No word whatsoever on status or prospects. Driving silver LR3 loaner.
  • gbugggbugg Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my lr3 June 28,2005 was suppose to take possession 7/5/05 went to
    get the car they said in detailing they noticed acid on the front bumper so they took one off another lr3 , finally recd mine on 7/11/05 had the car for 3 days we had
    a week of rain and I needed to wear a rain suit inside my car after weeks of calling
    my husband finally got me a New lr3, after receiving the second lr3 and driving for
    4 days, the suspension fault warning light comes on, I call they send a tow truck
    and I'm driving a KIA for 1 week. I have this car for about 2 more weeks and then
    the car seems to have trouble taking off. Thinking what else could be wrong I have
    2 other people drive the car and they also experience the slow take off. They picked the car up 8/20/05 and I am still driving a loaner . They said they can't
    duplicate the problem after almost 3 weeks. They are bringing my car back tomorrow. This has been a nightmare of an experience...
    My sympathies gbugg. What is worrying me is that I read this forum very carefully before purchase (mid Aug 05 - my borther steered me to it) and spotted some posts complaining of different problems, but not many and not recent or up to date. I chalked it it up to the fact that I was sure LR couldn't have changed or fixed its entire reputation overnight and there had to be a few problems or bugs out there. But generally, posters were effusive about their new LR3. I drove mine for 3 weeks and loved it. But now... SRS warning lights, suspension faults, no heat, rear climate shot...and this fuel tank thing that I just learned about when I returned to this forum to check on climate control issues! I am afraid that the Land Rover reputation is now bubbling back to the surface of reality. It appears the LR3 may have more Disco genes than we all feared... What a shame. Any one thinking of buying one and coming to this forum to research - BEWARE. I closed my eyes to LR's history and what people told me and went for it and now there is major egg on that beautiful LR3 grille.... $50K for this truck and these problems? Wow...
    Grommet - you have been on this board since the beginning, it appears. I am not a "troll" either. And I am most disappointed in the early problems and now the many others apparently experiencing the same. I guess when you really like a vehicle and then encounter problems like this, you turn somewhere to vent. And given LR's history, one with some middling of auto knowledge and interest might feel like one made a foolish mistake and turns to others in the same boat for comfort....and an exchange of issues to be sure one can handle it appropriately with dealer, customer care or lemon law authorities. Knowledge is power. 50 minutes from end of day 3 of LR3 in service and still now word on fix, issues, prospects. That stinks. Thoughts?

JBMJR
  • xtreme90xtreme90 Member Posts: 6
    It is time for some good LR3 news. I have posted here before. All negative. Out of the 90 or so days I have owned my LR3 it was been in the shop for 30 days. Most of which were days waiting for the gas tank fix. Now for the good news. I finally had the opportunity to take my LR3 camping over the labor day weekend. Hooked up the trailer and went the the Californa coast just north of San Francisco. (Dillions Beach). My trailer fully loaded is about 5500 lbs. The LR3 pulled the trailer like it was only 500 lbs. BTW, the height control is awesome when connecting a trailer. Moving the hitch up and down with the height adjustment saves a lot of time and effort. Anyway now for the good part. upon arriving at Dillon Beach the first thing I did was get stuck in the sand when pulling into my camping spot. Not just stuck but extremely stuck with the trailer connected. Screaming kids in the back seat had me distracted... :-) . I disconnected the trailer and in my frustration, I forgot all about the terrain response system and just tried to muscle my way out which just dug me in deeper. Before I realized it, I had sand up to the bottom of my doors. By this time a crowd was begining to form to smirk and see what this yuppy with screaming kids would do. To make matters worse I was blocking the main road with my trailer which caused another big Ford truck to try to go around and ended up getting stuck as well. After getting out to survey the situation, I finally remembered the terrain response system. I went back in to give it a try. I was in normal suspension height so first thing I did was switch to off road height. This lifted the LR3 just enough to get the underside out of the sand. Next I switched to the sand mode and low range. At first try I made no progress. Tires spun and I began to sink again. About half way thru the engine began to back off and the terrain response computer kicked in and I could feel power switching from wheel to wheel and then locking and unlocking the diffs. Once the computer was satisfied with the the power distribution the engine kicked back in and I was off. The LR3 climed out of the sand like it was on snow shoes. Feeling much better now. I took a bow for the crowd, backed around to the rear of my trailer, thru a rope around the axel and the LR3 hitch and pulled the trailer out as well. The great part was that the Ford truck that got stuck had to be pushed out.

Hope you enjoy the story. When all is said and done the LR3 is a great SUV despite the 1st year issues. I also own a Defender 90 and I think that the LR3 will out manuever in situations like this one. Can't wait to give it a try in the snow this year.

Have fun!
    Great story!

And, just for the record, my only complaint has been about LR's unresponsiveness to my queries re: the recall. And, people on this board have rightly reminded me that 1) I don't have any symptoms, and only 1/5 of the recalled cars actually have a problem and 2) the recall doesn't officially start until October.

The vehicle itself has been great for myself and my family. My wife and kids love it. And, other than door hazing (anyone figure that out yet?), not even a hint of a problem. The truck worked great last winter in the snow for me; glad to hear it works as well in the sand.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Out of the hundred or so LR3's that we have sold only three so far have reported any problems related to the gas tank and only one of those has the fuel spill out of the tank.

The other two have just been random stalling and hessitation.

As for the door hazing next week I am going to get a couple of different cleaners and go out to one of the LR3's and experiment. I already have mequiars NXT cleaner and i am going to get some mother back to black if anyone else has suggestions for other types please tell me. I will clean one door panel of an LR3 with each chemical and see what works the best then report back over the next couple of weeks.
  • xtreme90xtreme90 Member Posts: 6
    My dealer recommened that I use a product made for leather. I used Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leater Wipes. Hazing problem is gone. The wipes are great and leave a low sheen.
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    Have you have issues with inside edge tire wear. If you check around you'll see quite a few people with that problem. People tend to notice it at around 12k. I had my tires replaced. The new tires: I've upped my tire pressure about 5psi over recommended in hopes it would improve tire wear. I've read that an SUV this heavy should have the pressure at about 45psi. But have not gotten any confirmation. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    It is not something I have heard about but I will check around some. As long as you do not excede the maximum tire pressure for your tires you are fine so just don't go above 50 PSI for the stock tires. Manufacturers recomend the lowest possible PSI for improved ride but it is not always the best for tire wear.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I used the standard ArmorAll wipes about a month ago and my door panels still look fine.

Also FYI - I just passed 6 months and 6K miles with no problems at all (knock on wood) with my black on black SE 7.
  • saileastsaileast Member Posts: 16
    It is my understanding that LR now has a fix for the hazing problem. Dealer told me it is a matter of cleaning the doors twice with some "stuff" the factory has told them will fix the problem.They have ordered new panels for my HSE but will try the cleaning "stuff " first, if it fails to work they will replace the panels.
    I used the Sonus cleaner to no avail, but the aerospace 303 protectant did the trick.
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    Hello

I am by no means knowledgeable when it comes to car parts and internal repairs, but I am trying to buy a new LR3 V6 model. I found the color combo that I wanted in an '05 V6 model that is 'waiting' for the recall.

Based on my interest in the car, the dealer said he would swap out a good fuel tank from an '06 HSE model that he has on the lot and put that tank on the '05 V6 that I am interested in.

Do you think this would work? I will take the dealer's word for it, but is there a change between the fuel tank parts between '05 and '06 V6 and V8 models? Could there be any safety concerns or is this a simple part switch?

Thanks in advance.
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    Anyone bought this with 3rd seat?
    How much did you pay out the door?
    It's completely fine for them to do that. That is what Land Rover told the dealers to do.
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    I sincerely hope that's the case. I would hate to think that my wife's LR3 is going to have to make another 300 mile trip back to the dealer to have another fuel tank put in if the one they took off another LR3 isn't the revised version.
    I am starting to notice that the LR3 produces execsive amounts of Brake dust especially in the front. I sealed my rims when I bought the Truck with Klause all-in-one, but still have a build up problem. I have had similar problems in the past with Germany cars.
    Since I have only had the Truck a month, my questions is does the amount of brake dust generated go down with time?
    Nope. Brake dust is going to stay the same. It's the same way on any BMW, Mercedes, etc... Usually good brakes = brake dust
    I'm not so sure there is any "revised" version of the tank. The problem is that a part in certain tanks was not manufactured correctly by the supplier. As long as the supplier started manufacturing the part correctly, the tank is fine. So, while they won't be able to guarantee that the 2006 tank won't be defective, since it's way past the cutoff for the failure, it should only be a tiny chance that it would be defective (whatever the "normal" failure rate is).
    Brake dust decreases just before you need to replace the brake pads. :P
  • david10635david10635 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this message board and I am OVER my new LR3. I am long time Land Rover patron. I am currently in Range Rover #4. With the exception of a 1998 RR, I haven't had ANY trouble with the Range Rover. I am driving a 2004 RR, and its a dream machine. My wife decided this summer she wanted boot the Mercedes S sedan out of the family fleet and get a SUV for herself. Of course I went to the British motors here and we both fell for the LR3 perfect size for her, 3rd row seats for the kids - awesome design - beautiful SUV. Noticed the "dust" on the panels of the doors....but thought hey...they will detail this puppy up and that will be that. Test drive was great....so we got rid of the 78K Mercedes for 48K...I slapped another 7 down....and off we went with His & Her LR's. About 2 weeks into ownership, my wife started telling me something didn't seem right with the LR3....she would barely be going 10 miles per hour, but the rpms were raging up over 4, yet the car would not respond. She said the MPG was unthinkable and I had to drive it. She put premium in it thinking that would help. She called our dealer of 7 years and made an appointment. The service agent, said it sounded like a "fuel tank" issue and that if so, it would be in the shop for 4 to 6 weeks, as some part had to come from England. Hmmph ! I drove it this weekend. The engine did not sound right. The idle did seem just right on it. I drove, and yes in fact, you'd push the petal, the engine would rev and race, but the cars response wasn't relative. I am not mechanically inclined, but to me, that sounded more like transmission than engine. My wife took the car to the shop this morning 8 a.m. Yet another technician said, well this sounds like the engine - calibration of some sort and that the car would have to be in the shop for at least 2 weeks. He said, this was a documented problem, and that the engine would have to be re calibrated by some machine that goes from dealer to dealer, and they would have to located one - but emphatically the LR3 MUST had to stay there. My wife told me the "in house" car rental agent told her "off the record" "This "LR3s are coming in by the droves, and they are pulling the fuel tanks out left and right." Needless to say, this was NOT pleasant news to me. Moreover, it was completely unacceptable news to me. The car had only 498 miles on it ! ! I don't care if they can fix it, whether is documented or not. I am not going to sit still for paying 55,000.00 for a car and have it in the shop for 2/4/6 weeks with less than 500 miles on it. I am very upset over this, but the salt in the wounds came when I called the dealership and spoke with the man I have been dealing with for years and years. He didn't sell me this LR3 as he has moved into management, but still I felt like my relationship was with him. I kept my cool, I was not ugly, I gave him the scenario and told him that this wasn't acceptable to me and that I was upset about it. Well I shocked when he immediately told me, he didn't know anything about it, he had just gotten back from vacation, and that if I was that upset about it - call Land Rover. Well I am a business owner myself, If I ship something "broken" to my customer - they return it to me, I don't tell them to call the manufacturer. Then his "smart--- said "Well David, things happen - they aren't made in HEAVEN !" Can you EVEN believe this man said that too me? He gave me the number to Land Rover and told me I needed to call them, but he would go back and see whats going on and call me. Well its been almost 4 hours I've heard nothing. I have at random read much of what you all have posted here in the forum. Could someone fill me in on whats up with the fuel tanks you've been speaking of? Any one heard anything about calibration of the engine? Anyone experience "pick-up" performance issues? Any idling problems? And certainly the door panels, which of course, ours again, look like they have had turtle wax put on them and left in the sun for days. Has this happened to any of you, so soon after purchasing your vehicle? If this is ANY indication of what is before me in the life of this vehicle, then, I don't want the car. With less than 500 miles on it, you'd think they'd take it back. And also "This is a documented problem"? I was told. Well heck, why didn't they check the dadgum vehicle before they allowed me to drive it off the lot. The clock of depreciation has no mercy when you leave the dealers property. Like I said, I am OVER it ! Any info you may have, would be appreciated. Thanks ! David
    Day 7 in shop. Not one call from dealer. I called and was told that they are waiting for a part for the passenger airbag. "Wouldn't want that to not work..." No really...

Asked about climate control. "As far as I know it is fixed...."

I know this relates more to dealer issues, but reading this board and experiencing these issues with a brand new $50K vehicle is awfully disappointing. Still no word from dealer about fuel tank issues and reading all of these posts about that problem have me dreading the return of the vehicle. I am afraid that my electric/software issues will keep on ticking and then find out I have one of the 05's with the fuel tank issue. David's post today is scary! With all of these rants, where is the MFR with some sort of owner communication????