Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• jimjamjimjam Member Posts: 5
    Ah - not such good news then. The car is an HSE, but it's in the middle east. Apart from the Navigation, heated seats & wind screen (somewhat superfluous here) and logic 7, it has pretty much everything else. I've spoken to the dealer in Bahrain who's checking into it for me, but I had a nasty feeling it wouldn't be possible. There are other 'factory options' (much simpler things like the roof rails for example) that can be retro fitted, so I thought at a long shot it may be possible for the Navigation too. I'll wait and see what the dealer says, and if it is possible will probably choke on the quoted price (but take solace filling it up at 24c / ltr.)
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Thanks, Steve...of course Toyota dealer rep. said "We never heard of this sludge problem, it must be your fault"...then I showed him a print-out of all the known Toyota sludge problem postings including TSB's, but of course I still had to pay for the "sludge removal" myself.
  • mpzmpz Member Posts: 1
    has anyone gotten aftermarket tinting of the front side windows and/or a tint strip across the top of the windshield? I realize state laws differ, but any recommendations of tinters in the NYC or CT areas would be most welcome. Also, has anyone found roller shades that are big enough to cover most of the second row side windows?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Koesler, I'm not sure I would have bought another Toyota. What causes sludge anyway?

Both of my Mercedes are on synthetic and they get changed about every 10,000 miles. The 'on-board-computer' monitors the oil and tells me when it needs to go in for service.

I don't keep cars for 100,000 miles so I guess I will never know if they will have a sludge build up or not.

Mark :surprise:
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • roverineroverine Member Posts: 12
    I am considering taking the lr3 plunge after test driving and renting. Can anyone tell me the brand or model of the nav system and what software it runs ( I assume it's Navteq- anyone know the version no.?). Thanks
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    I have a HSE with Nav standard.
    To be honest its a tame system thats not state of the art.
    Many of its capabilities you cant use when moving, the voice commands are poorly designed, very few LR sales or tech people understand the system so all in all its CRAP! (Sorry did I say that out loud!)

Im replacing mine with a new Alpine unit that is high definition touch screen with traffic alerts.
    Thanks- does anything in the manual or on the discs say what brand it is?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    It is a Denso NAV so similar to what Jaguar uses.
    Its Denso DVD based.
    Take a look at Alpine or Pioneer. The alpine unit has a great hookup for the IPOD which allows full contril via the display screen
    The LR has to go via the aux jack in the back and control is still via the IPOD.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_192089333,00.html

There are plenty of audio speciality shops offering great installs with back-up camera etc.
    Thanks! I'll check out the Alpine- does it have any off-road capability? I was interested that the LR3 stock system advertises at least a way point and track back capability and topo maps. Has anyone tried this on a Rover system?
    I cross the wilds of Maine & Quebec regulary and it the LR is hopeless!
    Even on gravel roads consider the Delorme I mention below!
    It will show heights, rivers, full topography etc!

Both Alpine & Pioneer will show your trace or trail.

If you do a fair amount of off roading you really need to consider topographic mapping and I'd look at Delorme. You can add this to a laptop & they have both bluetooth & usb gps receivers for cheapo bucks!

http://www.delorme.com/software.htm
    I really appreciate the help. I've used a hand -held Garmin III Plus loaded with Map Source topos and it's worked OK but it's hard to read the display on its small B&W screen. I was hoping for some real improvement with a 7" touchscreen. Guess I'll check out these other units. Thanks
    Which Alpine model will you use? - I've seen pictures of a few after market installs that people have placed into the area where the LR nav system is meant to go, but they don't tend to look that tidy. If you find something that fits in there reasonably neatly I'd like to know. Is your intention to rip out the LR system you have? Is it really that crap?....and here's me wondering if it's possible to install it or not.
    I have seen an LR3 at my dealer which had an aftermarket install of a 7" monitor in the regular space LR uses. The install looked sweet- as good as the OEM job. I believe the Alpine monitor was the TME-M770 which you can see linked at the site JohnMajor linked to above.
    Looks good. But I'm not sure that I'll be able to find Middle East (where I live) mapping software to run on the NVE-N099P that would seem to work best with it. Searching the internet for Middle East mapping software hasn't brought me much more than what's offered by Garmin - though I presume there must be others out there.
    No idea, but Alpine is a global company and sells systems in Europe, and most of the mapping is acquired from 3rd party map companies like Navtek and DeLorme and Garmin anyway- so they may have something. Maybe if the demand has not been sufficient to support the R&D they won't have cities and roads down with brands of gas stations, etc. like they might where demand is higher in higher populated countries. Good Luck
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I have use the Off-road setting of the stock LR3 NAV system while offroad on US Forest Service roads in the California Sierra mountain ranges. I was pleasantly surprised to find the forest roads on the off-road map. Not always correct, but neither are the USFS paper maps themselves.

Not alot of detail on the offroad maps, but between the paper version, the GPS coordinates and the NAV MAP, you can get around OK in the US it seems.

I would love a far more extensive mapping dataset though.. I will look into Delorme.
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    I have had a new LR3 for a little over 2 weeks now. I love it so far. It is my first Land Rover.

I am having an "issue" with the heated front seats feature. Although the indicator lights are off, it seems like the front seats are constantly "heated". Has anyone encountered anything like this thus far?

Thanks.
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    Hello bmk007,

I got my 1st LR3 a couple weeks ago as well. It is 2006 LR3 V6 SE with 3rd seat. I liked the vehicle alot. Mine didn't have a climate package so i don't know. Didn't you ask the dealer or check your owners manual? Did you buy or lease? Hey, were you able to use that certificate?
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    When you say it still feels "heated", do you mean that the seat feels the same temp. as it does when, say the low setting is selected, or it just feels warm to the touch?
  • chintchint Member Posts: 30
    Hey Sohna99 ,

How much did you pay for the truck?
    My dealer in Birmingham called me today that there is a rebate of $3000 for 2005 models . With the rebate , the price of truck with Premium Package and Rear seat package will be around 40K .

I am sure whether I want a 2006 or 2005 .
    Hi Sohna99-

I checked with the dealer and they gave me a service # to call.

I did a 24 month lease on a 2005 LR3 V6 SE. They gave me a hard time about the certificate, but they did end up taking $500 off the price. This lease will allow me to try it out and see if I really want to buy a LR. So far, I love it.

I'm glad you finally got your LR3...I hope you are enjoying it.
    This "heating" issue has been off and on. When it has happened, the heated seats were definitely "on" despite the light not being illuminated on the dash control. I've been driving around in 75+ degree days in Cleveland, OH, so it is very easy to tell when the "heat" on the seats comes on.
    I paid $45.9K out the door. I did not want to buy 2005 when they have 2006 available. For couple thousands more why not buy 2006? There is no rebate on 2006 at all. It is 2006 SE V6 premium package and 3rd seat package. Thje cost was $42+tax+dmv fees etc. They did not want to go lower from them. The dealer wants 4.5% profit on top of invoice. I don't know if I got a good deal or not what that's what I was wanting. This is one life to live so enjoy.

Hope you will get a good deal as well.
    I would suggest you to get 2006.
    sohna99 -

what color combo did you get on your '06?
    bmk007- Exterior is tonga green and interior is alpacia beige. What color combo you got?
    i got the Bonatti Grey exterior with Black interior.
  • grumpylr3grumpylr3 Member Posts: 1
    My Patience is gone. I have had my $50k LR3 since November 2004. The first 10,000 miles were great with no problems. After that all hell broke loose with the fuel system. Started to stall when driving on the freeway, and after stops. Took it to the dealer and they said the computer needed to be updated. No fix, and back to the dealer. They then said that the "ball valve" in the tank was not working properly, and the engine was contantly flooding. They replaced the tank. Worked great for about two days, then back to the same ol' same ol'. Except now with a new twist. The fuel guage does not read properly, so twice I've run out of fuel with a reading of almost a half tank. Towed twice to the dealer and still no fix. They gave it back to me and said that they were expecting a recall on the tank, and that if the check engine light comes on again (it has been on ever since the first occurance and is on still today) that it would be ok. They also told me that I should not let it drop below a 1/4 tank of fuel because the gauge is still not working. You can imagine my confidence driving around in a vehicle that stalls when I try and enter traffic, may run out of gas at any time without notice, and may have a fuel tank that will start leaking at any time.

All in all, the vehicle has been in the shop for more than 70 days in the first 10 months of ownership. Still no fix in sight. Land Rover NA will not call me or talk to me about it. I am disgusted. If I ran my business like Land Rover NA, I would be out of business.

I have sought out legal advice on this matter, and precidence has been set to invoke the lemon law, in Oregon where I reside. I cannot trade this vehicle in on something different because of the problems, so I find myself forced to pursue the LL action. A class action is also an option if enough people are having the same issues.

Grumpy
  • chintchint Member Posts: 30
    What is the mileage ur getting in city/Freeway ? Is premium fuel recomended or required.I read in some reviews that V6 is under powered . How do you feel abt the power?.

Thanks
    I have less than 400 miles so far. Its hard to tell but I think, around 14-16 in city and around 20 on highway. To me it looks fine, its not under powered. Its an excellent vehicle. I have done test drive twice. This vehicle is very quiet as well. The more you do the research the harder to buy the vehicle. I have researched other vehicles, all have some kind of problems, e.g 2005 lr3 had fuel tank problem. That was the main reason I bought 2006. I read your post that you are getting for 40k, 3k rebate. Is 40k out the door?

Good luck.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    I have a LR3 SE that how not had any major problems yet except for the fuel gauage does not work properly anymore and the low coolant light comes on during "System Check" even though the coolant is full. They said the the fix for the fuel gauage will come with the tanke repalcement. When I fill up the truck, it reads 3/4 and when I have about 3/4 left it reads closer to full. Go figure. Anyways, I drive using my odometer now so I do not run out of gas.

I recently drove a V6 LR3 loaner. It felt like the V6 had to work very hard to move the heavy truck. Passing on the freeway was a little harder. I have a V8 and love the low end tourque and smoothness. The V6 is not all that bad but not for me.
  • orefrustratedorefrustrated Member Posts: 1
    To (grumpylr3) Your problems echo ours . . . we thought we wrote your letter! We bought our '05 LR3 SE in December, 04 and have, so far, made six trips to the dealership. Initially stalled and drove dangerously on road. Stalling "fixed" on third visit but then have had runability problems caused by that fix ever since. After six trips car still stumbles and shifts poorly and we can not get the Check Engine light to go out. Dangerous handling has been reduced with the six visits, (a total of 6 in 9 months!!!!) six new tires, multiple alignments, including one where they told me they would put it "out of specification" so it would drive better. In August I was given a brand new '06 LR3 (34 miles) to drive while mine was in shop for 10 days, and it stalled like ours did initially! Guess they still haven't fixed problem!

After six trips,I applied for the Lemon Law, which was a bad move! That only upsets Land Rover - don't wake up the sleeping bear! They not only denied my claim but now won't allow us to dealership without zone rep, who must fly in once a month. All I want to do is get "Check Engine" light out so I can dump this thing, but I now have to wait for the Zone Rep!

A recent call from Land Rover claims the light is on because of poor gas in Oregon, so how is this vehicle supposed to go through deserts of Africa when it can't run on premium Chevron in Portland, Oregon? Now they say I need to add an additive to tank and switch to medium grade fuel every time I fill up. Does not make sense to pay $54,000 for a vehicle when I need to add something to fuel. Gas runs fine on my other vehicles!

So how do I dispose of this piece of trouble?
  • gwellandgwelland Member Posts: 23
    Grumplr3/orefrustrated,

So you've been given the poor gas story by LR of Portland too? I thought it was just me they were BS'ing. I've got a silver HSE5 with 18k on it now that is awaiting a new tank for recall and has had the power loss, poor start and constant check engine light for the last two months. (plus other electrical faults) The check engine light due to poor fuel seems a joke to me - the leaky tank problem sounds more credible to me. I ONLY use Chevron/Shell etc and I've still had the problem. My last service they cleaned the injectors and recommended adding cleaner occasionally. As I told the service folks it seems strange that a vehicle is so sensitive when its designed to be used in the wilds of africa on junk gas - heck, I used to have a Ferrari 355 F1GTS that never complained with Oregon gas in the years that I owned it and I figured that if any car would be sensitive it would be that one, NOT an LR3.

What's annoying to me is that even if I dumped the vehicle the only replacement I'd want would be another LR3! (or maybe RRS).

:lemon:
  • 2lr3ornot2lr32lr3ornot2lr3 Member Posts: 1
    I was in love with the LR3. Had my wife and a couple of friends along and after about 30 minutes I was convinced that this was the car for me. But my wife, who was on the 2nd row seat told me that the ride from the 2nd, while good, was less comfy than the XC90 or the LX470.

We do a lot of long distance driving ( 1200 miles round trips ) and with a baby coming the wife would probably sit in the 2nd row seat quite a bit. Although she said that it was less comfy, it was not uncomfortable, and is not a show stopper.

To those here who have done long distance, and sat in the back, can I have your opinions please ?

Thanks
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    The two big seating advantages of the LR3 are the wide 2d row and the sizeable 3rd row.

Your question, I believe is just wrt the 2d row. It is significantly wider and more comfortable than the 2d row of the XC90. For example, I have two car seats in my LR3 2d row and my wife or I sit there fine. Impossible in the XC90. The 3rd row of the XC90, incidentally, takes Olympic skill to enter.

I did not compare the LR3 2d row to the LX. Rather, I thought the GX was more comparable price-wise. The LR3 has a much bigger, more roomy 2d row than the GX (although, if your sense of comfort depends more from the softness of the leather than roominess, the GX has it).
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    FYI: The Land Rover USA site was finally updated with '06 LR3 V8 information a week or so ago. There are still a few errors, but it's still better than seeing the old '05 V8 info.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone else experienced the problem of the Navigation system not having most "stores" in their area? We tried finding directions to Costco and Walgreen's, and the only ones that came up were from 40+ miles to over 300 miles away. There are many Costco's and Walgreens within a 15 miles radius. Took it to the dealer who replaced the DVD (same problem) and they checked it on a Land Rover on their lot - it had the same problem. Anyone know if LR is fixing this obvious flaw? My Lexus navigation has almost all local places in it's DVD.
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    I am searching for used 2005 LR3 Seven Seat with the Heavy Duty Option. In general when asked over the phone or by e-mail, non-Land Rover dealers are unable to tell me if the LR3 in question came with the Heavy Duty option (even some Land Rover dealerships). What can I tell them to look for so they can give me a quick answer? Help!
  • saileastsaileast Member Posts: 16
    I think the full size spare only comes with the HD package. That would be a quick check. Good luck!
    To my knowledge, the map & location information the Denso sourced Navigation system uses is supplied by NAVTEQ. I guess you can only hope that the next updated version of the DVD disc is more complete for your area.
    Looking at the window sticker is pretty easy, too. :P
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    My lights are remaining on during the daytime. Anyone else had this? Where is the sensor. I'm wondering did it get obstructed or damaged.

Thanks in advance.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    Would a used LR3 have a detailed sticker with all options? I'm not sure. The dealers are just being lazy.
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    The sensor for the headlights is on the backside of the rearview mirror mount. If you look at the mount through the windshield from the outside in, you'll see what looks like a small rectangular panel in the center of the mount approx. 2"x1". That's the sensor.
  • guess402guess402 Member Posts: 11
    Last night i got out of my car to the chime of a transmission fault. Turned the car off and then back on again and it was fine. Got in the car this morning and when i turned it on i got HDC fault Suspension fault Brake fault and a transmission fault. The parking break automatically engaged and i couldn't go anywhere. I turned the car off and let it sit for a while. I then went back and turned it back on and all the faults were gone. However it still made some loud noises when i put it into gear. I drove it straight to the dealer they gave me a Ford Taurus as a loaner. I got a call later that day that everything was fixed and the car was ready to go. I picked it up and it seems to be getting better gas millage and everything is fine. Does this seem like just the beginning of some major problems or has anyone else run into this and had it fixed on the first try? :confuse:
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    Grommet, Most used LR3's dont have the original window sticker. :shades:
    I have that Heavy Duty option package and it definetly has a full size alloy spare wheel as "saileast" mentioned.

I cant imagine a used dealer not having access to the original window sticker though!

Must be a lazy nitwit who cant take the time to check the glovebox!
  • iragoodiragood Member Posts: 12
    I placed another request to Land Rover regarding when we can expect Sirius radio to become an available option. The response back was that they are still working on having the Sirius radio as an option for the LR3. Unfortunately, they do not have information as to when it will be available. I was advised to continue to check with my retailer for updated information.

The new issue of Consumer Reports includes a comparison of the LR3 to other mid-size SUVs. While a noted improvement over the Discovery, they still claim that product reliability is still an issue. :cry:
    The story hasn't changed with my source... Unofficially still MY2007 for Sirius on LR3, with a slight chance of it appearing as an option in very late MY2006. It will not be retrofitable to existing vehicles; must be factory ordered. (Just like RRS/RR.) I guess for people that must have it "now", they can buy a Range Rover Sport. :confuse:
  • hassler1hassler1 Member Posts: 6
    I have the stalling problem since I got the car. I live in New hampshire and it stalled in winter, spring and summer, so it has nothing to do with heat. The cars gas tanks have been recalled, but they do not have enough tanks to replace them all, and are trying to replace the dealers new inventory of quarantined calls first. So, basically the 72,000 people who bought defective LR3 with faulty gas tanks are stuck. No one in my family will drive this car, after 18,000 miles the dealer told my loaded $54,000 was only worth $25,000 as a trade, and if I waited a month till November, for about $15,000 I could get a left over with a fixed tank. Wow!!!!!

If I ran my business like this, I would have no customers! I have to go legal and a class action suit is deserved. This is happening all over and Land Rover North America is doing nothing. :lemon: