Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ..................and if I waited a month till November, for about $15,000 I could get a left over with a fixed tank.

Sounds like a deal to me (I wonder if he'll put that in writing?) .................put me down for two! :shades:
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Hey, it's not "72,000 defective fuel tanks" -- if you read the recall document, it's supposedly a much smaller percentage. I have a vehicle in the recall range, and have not had any problems. I haven't yet found out if I'm actually impacted... but I'm in no rush. No stalls here, even in extreme scenarios.

Yes, sign me up for the $15K LR3s... I'll also buy a pair. Never know when you'd want a few spares around...
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the info kh. My parking tag may be interferring.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    I'm in NH with 20k plus on my HSE with no problems!
    Which LR dealer are you using?
    Maine or Mass its the same LRNA for both so you should ring his bell!
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    Gwelland:

What is your source of information that dealers will begin replacing quarantined vehichles first before customers who have trucks currently? Logically I would think that this approach would only create more financial risk for LRNA.

Kevin
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    Here is some interesting reading about gas. If your using Chevron Premium, I find it hard to believe that the gas is the problem.
    http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    LRNA is supplying tanks to dealers in this order.

1st. LR3's that have already been sold and are having stalling/surging issues that are symptoms of the recall. We have taken care of the only two delivered LR3's we have had with stalling problems by sacrificing two of our non-quartined in stock cars to fix the customers cars. That brought us down to two non-quarantined LR3's to sell.

2nd. Once customers that have had issues have been taken care of dealers can use tanks to bring a few of their LR3's out of quarantine. According to the information I have read we are getting enough tanks to get 20% of our instock or service loaner LR3's back into service.

3rd. Land Rover will mail out recall notices to people and coordinate with dealers in order to set up a schedual to fix LR3's that are in the VIN range but have not had problems.
    British Rover:

I assume you are a dealer. The logic makes a lot of sense. Not replacing tanks for cars that are out on the road did not seem like a good approach.

Regards,
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    Nice to see a dealership representative acknowledging the fuel tank issue - I appreciate it!
    I recently had my first experience with LR service. While I'm trying not to jump to any judgements until I've got a few more visits under my belt, my service manager took a couple pretty big steps toward having a dissatisfied customer. I took mine in at a little over 2500 miles for installation of tow harness and a few other accessories that weren't on hand when I got the car, as well as a host of (relatively)minor problems. I had waited an extra two weeks or so to take it in because I wanted an LR3 loaner rather than a Freelander or rental car.
    While he was writing up the repairs, I mentioned that I hadn't checked my VIN for the fuel tank recall, but asked if he could let me know if mine was affected, and if so, when they would be doing the repair. Response: "Well, there's some sort of rumor going around about a recall, but I haven't seen anything about it..." I opined that it was probably more than a rumor, as it was on the NHTSA website, but didn't push it. Step one. Please don't BS me.
    Imagine my delight when the loaner they provided was a Freelander, after I had delayed specifically so I could have an LR3. Step Two. Please follow through on what you say you'll do, or if you can't at least acknowledge the fact and let me know why.
    So I asked... The reason? "Well, all our LR3s have been pulled off the road for the fuel tank recall." Step Three. I don't have the best memory in the world, but I can usually manage at least a two-minute span, especially if I've been told something that ticked me off a bit (like a recall just being a rumor).
    The icing on the cake was when they pointed me to the first loaner. I carried my kids' car seats over to strap them in, and it didn't take too long to realize that it was a customer's Freelander in for service. Would have been kind of convenient, since it was already stocked with car seats and CDs, but...

Here's hoping that my first visit was a fluke, and I'll get excellent (and rare) service in the future. Not an impossibility, I suppose - I've got a coworker with a Disco II who has been happy with the same service manager for a few years, so we'll see.
  • hellpiehellpie Member Posts: 9
    Me too! Me too! Last week during system check the low coolant message started popping up. I topped off the coolant reservoir but the message still appears. Also, after filling up the gas tank, the fuel gauge will walk down to the 3/4 mark as I begin driving and then move up closer to full as I continue driving. I will go to the dealership soon to inquire what can be done.

That being said, my overall experience with the vehicle has been fantastic! I have an '05 SE with about 6000 miles. Primarily stop and go driving with occasional distance driving, including a 1000 mile trip a few months ago.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I also experienced the low coolant warning and had it checked out at my LR dealer. The problem is a faulty sensor that has plagued a number of LR3's. The dealer was familiar with the problem. They have to replace the coolant tank where the sensor is located. Mine was replaced and corrected the problem.
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    I previously wrote that Armor All Leather Wipes appeared to pretty much fix the door panel hazing. However, coverage became spotty over time.

I have since used Meguiars M4016 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditnr. And, after 4 weeks with no re-application, it looks great.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks grommet. You've been a source of good info on this board. I called LR, who gave me the NAVTEQ 800 number. I called them, and they claim they do not supply the data for the LR3, but they do for the Freelander and Discovery. I sent LR CR a note asking for new data. They claim no new data is available. Oh well. Unless I know the exact address of where I want to go, the Nav won't be very good for me to find stores or restaurants (even the LR dealer is not in the system).
  • roverineroverine Member Posts: 12
    I'm wondering also how the Pledge furniture wax is working. My panels were hazing when I bought my '05 SE about a week ago. The saleman told me the door panels would likely be recalled someday. The dealer polished mine up before delivery to me and after 1 week they look good still.
  • rovernut3rovernut3 Member Posts: 11
    What a minute! I was thinking "Did I already post my message?" This is the exact same situation that happened to me.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Just a thought, but I was wondering if you have the correct area selected for navigation data within your area?

You may want to check!

My LR dealer couldn't figure why addresses were not being found out either & eventually I discovered the problem.
  • hassler1hassler1 Member Posts: 6
    Land Rover of Bedford, NH. You are a lucky one, all we wanted was a car that worked! :lemon:
    The $15,000. is with my trade in of a loaded 2005 LR3 that does not work and has never worked since i bought it. You want to trade in your new car plus $15,000 on the same exact car that might or might not work?
    It also says it happens in hot weather climate and I do not think New Hampshire is very hot in December and January, and that is when I got the car and started having problems. It really is not fun driving down the South East Expressway in Boston with a baby in car and losing power. There is no breakdown and you are stuck for no reason. You'll know if it happens.
    Good Luck! :lemon:
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I just went on a 600 mile trip to Dallas and have never had a more pleasant drive in my life..What a great road vehicle!! Mileage was 19.3 with the AC on and going 75. The NAV system was a miracle tool taking me exactly where I needed - and I used to think they were just a gimmick.

I also got the steering wheel creaking fixed - they popped off the airbag, took off the nut, and removed the wheel then trimmed the plastic housing a hair with a dremel tool - fixed...took all of 10 minutes. NO other issues, yet...at 5000 miles.
    Unfortunately, the area is correct (CA and NV). For some reason, the Nav system seems to like to point out stores and points of interest that are far away from the SF Bay area (LA, NV). It finds many places 300 miles away but not so much in the Bay area. Perhaps the providers of the data have a thing against SF.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the dealer verified that a brand new 06 Range Rover had the same problem, and they did replace my DVD (no improvement).
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    I use a product that I bought at our local Canadian Tire; I think it's called Mother's somethingorother... a white liquid. It has taken away the hazing - it's been two months now since I applied it. So this is a non-issue once you have the right product.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Has anyone been driving the new 2006 V8? The dealer in my area tells me that there won't be a shortage of HSE's like last year, but that the V8's are still not arriving very quickly.
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    at 7700 miles..how quickly it flies by. LR3 was recently given the 4 country shakedown and made it from Mid-Deutschland to Prague then south through Brenner Pass in Austria, East in Venezia, down to Rome and back again to Germany...Last car i did that drive in was my 91 CRXsi.
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    Is there anywhere for a front license plate to go on the LR3's? I know the need for a front license plate varies by state. In Ohio, we are supposed to have one, but it seems like the front end wasnt designed to accomodate a plate.

Thanks.
    Yes. A bracket comes with the LR3 and can be installed by the dealer if your state requires a front plate. They end up screwing it into the bumper (similar to other makes).
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    05 LR3 now is 6 months old has 9000 miles with zero problems. No warning lights, faults, fuel leakage or anything......Rides great the gas mileage is appropriate for size, weight, and drive system.

Here are suggestions for LR accessories: Have an optional hard plastic tailgate in place of the carpeted version....Would be of great help for camping, dogs etc...I am not happy with coverage afforded by the black rubber optional floor mats..It's still too easy to get mud on the carpeting.
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    ARB had a bumber available for the LR3....Check it out....very nice :D
    Very Nice! I checked out the brochure on ARB's website, and I have a couple of concerns. It doesn't mention being able to integrate the headlight washer's and the photo shows the black wheel arch ending where the Bull Bar ends. This is much higher up than where they currently end.
    Has anyone recevied their recall notice yet for the fuel tanks? As we all know the notice indicated Oct 15, 2005 owners will be notified.
  • wannabelr3wannabelr3 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I am thinking of buying an 06 LR3, but a good freind of mine is miserable with his 05. Says it is in the shop A LOT. He has a long hesitation on acceleration and fuel guage problems amongst other things. My other option would be to buy a used 04 with low mileage. Any thoughts?
    Well my wife has an '05 LR3 HSE that she bought in February that now has over 21K miles on it. So far she has had 2 issues. The suspension had problems due to a faulty connector and the fuel tank leaked. As far as I know both these issues are not present on the '06 models. She seems to love it. I don't know anything about the acceleration issues. The couple of times I've driven it, it seemed to accelerate just fine. But then again I drive a truck with a turbo diesel so I expect a moment of lag before the turbo kicks in.
  • 05lr3se05lr3se Member Posts: 1
    My parents purchased an 05 LR3 back in December 2004. We began to experience the check enging light, hesitation in acceleration and stalling problem back in September. Needles to say, the dealership has tried three times already to fix the problem. The third time, they replaced the fuel tank but the check engine light is still on and at slow speeds, the car has some hesitation and stalls again. Now my parents want to pursue a :lemon: complaint here in California but this is the first out of five cars that we've actually owned to ever resort to using the Lemon Law. If any one has any advice whatsoever in getting the process completed properly and quickly, much help will be appreciated. This car has been great and its just sad to see that we have to resort to the Lemon Law to get this resolved because the dealer is just giving us the runaround. Also, I've seen a lot of similar experiences among other LR3 owners across this forum, could you please keep us updated as to what has happened to your LR3s? Thanks in advance.
    :lemon: Words cannot express my dissatisfaction with my LR3 and the problems I have had since I got which are all unresolved. When you purchase a $ 54,000 car you would expect it to work, at least a little! Stay away until Land Rover North America treats their customers as customers not idiots! Just read here about others experiences! :lemon:
    Do not do it! :lemon: Land Rover North America does not care about their customers or people who pay $ 50,000 for car that does not work. My 2005 Lr3 has had numerous problems and has been in the shop since the day I got it. I never a new car ould seriously have this many problems, but mine does and we refuse to drive it. It stalls, peices fall off, the seat belt fell off in our hands. The quality of our car is absuletly the worst! You do not wannabee an owner of this peice of junk! :lemon:
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    The black plastic is fading and looking horrible.

Solution: A container of "Mothers Preserves Protectant" from Canadian Tire. It says it offers 30 day protection: well.

Applying this with a cloth and wiping off made all the plastic black again and so far that's lasted almost 90 days. Problem solved, it appeaers.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Just did another rather long trip in the LR3 and have the same great review as before - an absolute joy to drive with never a problem of any type. And who cares if the road ends or goes to hell, you just drive on, and up and over, or through it - this thing is as good off-road as on.

Reading some of these posts makes one want to dump the LR3 as fast as possible, or never buy one, but my vehicle and dealer have been the absolute best all round. And only 2 owners out of 50 have reported problems to the dealer One is a gas tank, the other a suspension fault - that's it....(are they lying to me?). I don't think so..

Want an LR3 ? Buy it and enjoy..
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    I'm just a few weeks from my "1 year" anniversary... no problems with our LR3 HSE so far. :) I figure it'll explode about 1 day after the warranty ends, though. ;)
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    I am only at 4 months trouble free on my 2005 HSE, but I asked my wife yesterday if she wanted to trade in her Infinity on a new convertible BMW or the new Volvo since she has been bugging me about getting one ever since I got rid of my old Cabrio. Her response was "Get what ever you want and I will take the Truck"
    This of course is after she was dead set against me buying it in the first place.

I feel for those that have problems, but I know people that have had lemons from BMW, Infiniti, etc. The more complicate a car is the more that can go wrong.

I would recommend this truck to anyone.
    If there are any other Land Rover Sales Guides on this board could you drop me an email. I have a couple of questions about our last order call. I would like to see if what we had to work was similar across the board. My email is in my profile just send away.
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    No problems in Prague with the vehicle? Did you park at the embassy? How many miles total was your trip and how did it do on gas?

Nolan
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    That's a funny story....My wife wanted a Volvo XC90 and when we went to the dealership they had a brand new green LR3. She would not even entertain it, until she sat in it and drove it. Now it is her truck and she is extremely happy with it. We have not had any major issues with the truck and it has about 11000 miles on it.
  • joshua1joshua1 Member Posts: 7
    After two LR3s in 10 months (the first had to be replaced because of bedeviling electrical/computer problems), I have thrown in the towel and bought an X5. My second LR3 had more squeaks and rattles and problems than any car I have ever driven. The latest: a loose bolt in the side impact airbag assembly, which was the final repair I could endure after five since I received the replacement vehicle. Switching to the X5 cost me a few thousand dollars, but, hey life is too short to spend it worrying about a car and driving to the service bay once every couple of weeks.

The LR3 is a truly remarkable truck. However, it needs too many bugs worked out for now, and the British build quality is just unacceptable for a luxury car. Do all luxury carmakers (including Lexus) have the odd problem vehicle? Sure. But I'll stick with the makes and models from here out that are not defined by their troubles. Sorry Land Rover: you have too much work yet to do.
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to problems in Prague. Parking was in a private garage provided by the apartment. Wife drove rt approx. 4000 miles. Avg was about 16mpg but she's not a conservative driver and doesn't use cruise control. I average about 19mpg.

So far only glitch was a missed nav system shutdown but don't know if it was due to entering the vehicle and missed sys boot cycle prohibiting proper shutdown. I waited approx. 5 minutes and "LR" screen wouldn't turn off. I turned ignition switch to 2nd (accessories position) and pressed the radio power button. That seemed to remedy the problem.

Incidentally, imo, nav system is maddeningly unintuitive in operation. (I've used better) Save the $2400 and buy aftermarket. One of the better ones i've used is in brethren PAG volvo. Don't know why LR didn't replicate this system with it's control stalk input instead of touch screen.
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    "After two LR3s in 10 months (the first had to be replaced because of bedeviling electrical/computer problems), I have thrown in the towel and bought an X5"

Joshua1,

I feel your pain, my LR3 is in the shop again. This time for the: fuel tank recall; suspension faults are back (compressor replaced 6 weeks ago), flickering nav screen, check engine light, rattling speakers, rear park distance control (replacing ECU)... However, I still LOVE this vehicle. Good luck with the X5, not sure if that's the best choice if you're looking for reliability as Consumer Reports lists it along with the LR3 as not reliable.....
    :sick:
  • jcastro1jcastro1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a brand new LR3 HSE 4 months ago with every option. Other than a bit of hesitation upon acceleration, had no problems. Parked it at the airport for 2 days and came back to every single warning light flashing. Message center read: "transmission failure, certain gears not available. Air suspension failure. Parking break failure. Check engine. Do not exceed 30mph. Hill Descent Control Failure. Terrain Response Failure"

I assumed it must be a fuse or a quick glitch. Had the tow truck take it to the local dealer....that was 15 days ago. I still have no car, no loaner vehicle, and no answer as to what it could be. Parts have been ordered to no avail, the dealer repair crew has no clue. An engineer from Land Rover was finally contacted and still have no idea. Worst part about it all, I can barely get anybody to call me back with a status. New York :lemon: law states the vehicle must be in the shop for 30 days within the first 2 years of ownership...looks like I'm well on my way.
    jcastro1,

I hear ya. Our Lemon law (Washington) states roughly the same or "in three plus times for the same problem". I'm on my second time for the suspension faults/compressor. My dealer has been great in their treatment of me, and I'm hopeful that'll continue and everything gets fixed. I guess it comes down to the individual dealer. I actually drive 20 miles further than another Land Rover dealer a mile away just because of the difference in level of service. Good luck..... :sick:
  • rajv1rajv1 Member Posts: 7
    PLEASE HELP
    I am confused totally by all the negative postings on this board with regards to LR3
    I have my choice narrowed down to 2006 LR3 (HSE) vs Volvo XC90 (V8)
    Would it be fair to "assume" that the LR3 problems have been fixed in 2006 models ?? I really like the truck and my heart wants to go for it but my head says Volvo is a far safer option ( no pun!) with almost $54K sunk in. LR3 is a head turner but 2-3 yrs down the road reliability and resale value with XC90(V8) will be no comparison??
    Is LR 3 really that bad? Motortrend had 1 year longterm update and so did edmunds.com ( although odometer @ edmunds only 1200 miles) and gave good marks.
    Really confused!
    rajv1,

Despite the ongoing problems that I've encountered with my LR3, I LOVE it! I had one of the first HSEs to come in (a 2005 model that I rec'd in 1/05) so it may just be that I'm paying the price for being an "early adopter". Most of the issues that I've had are identified with remedies available. I would suspect that a 2006 model will be less susceptible to these problems as they would already have the newer fuel tanks and air suspension compressors installed. Heck, I'd go for a 2006 in a heartbeat, and I just may get one if the Lemon Law eventually kicks in....
    Go read up on the transmission issues with the V8 XC90's before you buy one.

That transmission was never designed to handle all the extra weight of the SUVized Cross Country plus the V8 torque.

Get the LR3 and just check out your dealer ahead of time if you are worried about service issues. Yeah it is unfortunate if you lose your car for a few days because of parts avaliablity or diagonsis but if the dealer almost always has service loaners avaliable then you are ok.

If we run out of service loaners we always have enterprise down the street deliver us a rental.
    rajv1,

british_rover is right. I'd take the LR3 HSE over the XC90 in an instant. Dealer/Service is an important consideration just check around in your area. I actually drive to a Land Rover dealer that's a little FURTHER away from my house just because I know that the service I'll receive is top-notch, that loaners/rentals are always available, and, most importantly, that I'll be kept updated as to what's happening with my LR3 whether it be diagnosis or parts availability....
    btw, I just got mine back after taking it in for a few things and the vehicle is running flawlessly. If you're buying a 2006 you should be fine.