Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• guess402guess402 Member Posts: 11
    I had similar problems with faults in my car as i posted earlier. The car went into the dealership three times and on the third time i left the car there for 4 days. After that there have been no more faults. They claim to have gone through the car and checked the main connections as well as replaced the battery because it wasn't holding enough of a charge. I don't understand why if your dealer could solve these same problems you didn't use the Lemon Law. Clearly there must have been a reason that I would love to find out.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Hi blair0923,
    Here's a reposting of an earlier message of mine when I looked at tire possibilities:

I have looked into some more aggressive tires for the LR3 SE.

I found the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S in th size LT275/65R18. This tire would be 32 inch diameter (2 inches bigger diameter and about 3/4 inch wider than stock). I believe it would fit underneath in the spare tire carrier if it was aired down or if the heat shields near the muffler were bent a bit, but I haven't tried it. This tire would also raise the ground clearance by an inch. I'm not sure how it would affect acceleration, but with a 6 speed I doubt it would matter much. At 3000 rpm with the original tires, these tires would drop the rpm to 2812 for the same speed. And the speedo would be off by 4 mph at 60 mph (actual speed 64 at indicated 60). I am not sure if this tire would have adequate clearance in the wheel wells.

Slightly less aggressive than the Wrangler AT/S, but still more aggressive than the stock tire is the Toyo Open Country A/T in the 285/60R18 size. This tire is 1.48 inches bigger in diameter and 1.3 inches wider than stock and might fit in the spare tire carrier without airing down with a little shoving. It would raise the ground clearance by 3/4 inch, change the 3000 rpm speed to 2859, and the speedo from an indicated 60 mph to an actual 63. I am not sure how this tire would fit in the wheel wells.

Last, a fairly aggressive looking tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler in the 285/60 R18 size. This one is 1.38 inches bigger in diameter and 1.34 inches wider than stock, raising the ground clearance by 0.7 inches, dropping the 3000 rpm speed to 2868, and the speedo indicated 60 mph to 62.7.

Note that as these tires wear, the diameters would decrease up to about 3/4 inches less than when new by the time they are worn out. Thats about half of the increased diameter over the stock size. This just shows how much the speedo and rpm might change as a tire wears out.

Any comments? Has anybody tried these tires? If you do, please post your thoughts. My local Discount Tire only sells the Goodyear ones and said they'd mount one to try it in the spare tire carrier and wheel wells without charging me if they don't fit. I don't believe Toyo are sold by Discount Tire but I think some carry the Nitto.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    My car stalled once after I bought it in April 2005. In September the fuel gauge started doing funny things as others have expereinced. The low coolant light kept coming in even if the coolant was full. I brought my LR3 into the dealer today and they returned it to me with the new fuel tank, and coolant tank by 1:00pm. That is some great service. My service reps are great. They even threw in a full tank of gas and provided a loaner car. I am extremly happy with owning my Land Rover LR3. I use to have an '03 Disco.
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    I noticed in your post you wiper blade broke and scratched the windshield. This happened to my driver's blade and it left a half-circle scratch into the windshield. The dealer replaced the blade and holder and said I must have broke it removing snow. I do not recall doing it and was wondering how yours happened and what the dealer did for you.

Thanks
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I have had this happen to three customers now with bluetooh integrated cell phones. They have phones that do not have an option to disable call waiting and so when a call comes through and they try to switch over to it their phone to car link is scrambled.

If you can't disable call waiting on your bluetooh phone then just do not pick up the incoming call it will scramble your phone and possibly do other funny things to the cars systems.

If you do happen to pick up a call by accident and things get scrambled you can probably correct the problem without bringing it to the dealer. Simply shut off the car and then disconnect the bluetooth phone from the car. On your phone somewhere there is an option to drop bluetooh connection. Once you do that it should descramble the connection and you should be able to reconnect the phone. This should also shutdown the navigation screen if it was staying on with the car off. I have seen that happen a couple of times and seems to be a side effect of trying to use call waiting with bluetooh connection.

I am reposting this on all Land Rover boards.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... do other funny things to the cars systems.

Please define "funny things."

tidester, host
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Thankfully, it's documented fairly clearly that both Call Waiting and 3-Way Calling is unsupported over Bluetooth.

It does work if you have a dockable phone with the cradle, though. Without it, the system is pretty cheesy.
    Yeah it is documented but apprently a lot of cell phones now cannot have call waiting disabled. I have had customers that have just forgoten that they can't use call waiting and tried to switch over to the call and caused problems.

As for causing other funny problems. I have noticed twice now that sitching over to a incoming call with call waiting has done two things.

1. The phone number of the last incoming call is stuck on the radio message screen and you can't switch to CD or Radio functions.

2. The Navigation screen just stays on even with the car shut off completly and the key removed and you can even use the touch screen to activate different features.

Dropping the car to phone bluetooh conection seems to solve both these problems though.
    I guess someone should really open one of those Land Rover corporate "problem reports." Even if the features are not supported, you shouldn't see behavior that I'd consider a crash in any vehicle system. D'oh!
    Yeah I do not know if land rover is aware of this yet our rep will be here sometimes this week so I am going to talk to her about it.

Right now I have seen the problem twice both with the same type of phone. I would like to see a few more cases with different types of phones.
  • photodiscophotodisco Member Posts: 17
    I was out looking at LR3's as a possible replacement for my wife's Disco II. The local dealership is advertising invoice pricing on all 2005 and 2006's. I called the salesman up and he swore that a 2006 fully loaded HSE on the lot was $50,900.00 with lux package and Heavy Duty package (the only available options). I always thought and read that HSE's were rare and no deals were given on them. What is the take?
    2005 HSE's are very rare we sold our last one more then two months ago. Right now the only 2006 LR3's that are coming into the country are HSE's so I can't see why they would want to deal on either one of them. I mean there is plenty of rebates on the 05 cars now but there are so few 05 HSE's around you could take off all the rebates give a slight discount on top of that and still make a ton of money.
    On a side note... british_rover, next time your rep shows up, please ask them why the 2006 manual clearly says LR3 has power lumbar adjustment, while all new 2006 vehicles don't even have manual adjustment now. Was electric adjustment planned, but then somehow dropped? Thanks.
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    manoftaste,

Sorry for the delay in getting some pics out. Try this link, I posted a few there:

LR3 Off Roading

Took the LR3 up to about 10,500 ft for some sledding with the kids. The trail was snowpacked, with a bit of ice. It was snowing pretty hard by the time we got about 1/2 way up. Got run off the road by a Grand Cherokee that was out of control. At least the guy was nice enough to tug me back on the trail. Pretty slick coming back down. I need some real off road tires. Anyone with any suggestions yet?

Thanks!
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    I have 2006 LR3 SE and has manual lumber adjustment and I love that.
    Yes, earlier builds did... but later ones do not. :( I don't think an HSE made it before the change...
    If you tow with your LR3, the receiver, when mounted, is about 1/8 of an inch from the spare tire.

Other than that, keep us posted on this "other" rubber. I am looking for something to replace the stock shoes.

As far as speedo accuracy, mine has varied about 6 mph from new tires, to just showing wear bars (right now) based on a Stalker Gun (radar) and GPS.
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have a suggestion for cleaning the brake dust from the stock wheels?
    I think last time she was here asked her and she did not know. I will check back with her see if she has any more info yet.
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    There are many cleaners, but most are pretty harsh. I would suggest cleaning the wheels and then using a acrylic sealant wax.
    Sealing them will allow you to just wash them off with regular car shampoo. As far as which sealant, there are many different ones with a range of costs. I would recommend the Klause Sealant Glaze for the rims. I have two coats on mine and the brake dust comes right off when I wash mine.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I was surprised to see that some think that the LR does not a have a good turning radius. Does anyone have any trouble when parking the car or turning in a tight spot??
    Who said that? I only remember someone slamming the Disco 2, which wasn't very good. LR3 is quite good.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I haven't run my LR3 through a winter yet. I've had sedans in the past and always put snows on all 4 wheels Dec - March (TireRack winter wheel packages). Snows probably aren't necessary on the LR3 (although stopping this thing in icy conditions is my biggest worry), but I realize it'll make my stock tires (Goodyears) last longer. TireRack doesn't have any packages for the LR3. Anyone have experience with the Goodyears on ice & snow?
    Thanks
    Just put it in snow mode and I am sure you will be fine. If you really want to get snow tires though I have a bullentin from Land Rover some where that lists their approved winter tires. I don't know if they are the best priced but they are a place to start.
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    thanks colorado4x4, good pics.
  • tstidtstid Member Posts: 2
    picking up my first lr3 on the 19th...hope i have made the right decision...i am confident landrover continues to improve reliability...05 to 06...ie...gas tank, and electrical issues...will know in a few days...
    Hi colorado4x4,
    I liked your pictures too.
    It appears that the back upper corner of the hitch receiver could be cut off to clear a bigger spare tire but I haven't fully checked it out yet. From an engineering viewpoint I don't see why removal of this part of the receiver would reduce the towing capabiliy, but that would be a personal decision.
    Please let us know what tire model, size and supplier you end up using when you replace yours.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    Your dealer is incorrect. My blade fell apart in the middle of a rain storm and I contacted my dealer just after it happened. He advised to bring it in and they would replace the wiper. In the 15 to 20 minutes it took to get to the dealer the half peeled blade on the drivers side left an arcing scratch which I found a few days later.

The dealer advised there were some defective blades with most failures happening on the passenger side. I brought my LR3 back a few days later when I noticed the scratch which is also in my line of sight. They advised they would replace the windshield after I requested it.

My HSE has the heated windshield and an inservice date of 12/10/04. The vehicle has never been in snow here in Wilmington, NC. I have lived in colder climates and understand what your dealer said makes sense. I would bet there is a TSB regarding this based on how familiar my dealer was of the condition. I would request a new windshield.

Good luck,

Rick
    lr3maybe,

I do not think cutting the reciever will have any effect on the integrity of the unit, if it is interfering with the spare.

On the tires front,I think I am going to put a set of winter tires on to buy some time on the summer (off road) rubber issue.

Does anyone have experience with winter tires for heavy SUVs? I am considering two:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3, 265/60 QR18
    and the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow, 255/55 HR18

The Blizzaks are .5" larger (overall diameter) and the Scorpions are .8" smaller. I do not think either will be a problem on the install. Both are close on the load ratings.

Most of my winter driving is on the western plains and over the mountain passes in CO and WY. My other vehicle is a M-B ML 320. It is awesome in the snow and ice with a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revos (35k miles on those tires and they barely show any wear!)

Has anyone purchased and used the Land Rover approved snow chains?

All thoughts and comments appreciated.
    British_Rover,

Any chance of finding that list and posting it?

Thanks!
  • rmbs16rmbs16 Member Posts: 1
    I am taking the delivery of 2006 LR3 SE Tomorrow (Grey with Alpaca Interior, Third Row & Climate Pck). With limited availability of color & option choices I had to settle with the one without Lighting package. I don't really care about the other features in the whole lighting package. Is it possible to upgrade only the headlights to Xenon? I don't want to just change the bulbs. Can the entire head light housing be upgraded to Xenon?
    Hi colorado4x4,
    My current vehicle is an ML320. The LR3 will replace it. You're not from SilverJack/Montrose area are you? If you are, we've met before.
    Here is the list that Land Rover approves for snow tires.

I am sure others will work as well though.

LR3
    ----------------------------------------
    Dunlop Wintersport M3 235/65 R18
    Goodyear UltraGrip 255/55 R19
    Dunlop GrandTrek WTM3 255/50 R19

Range Rover Sport
    ---------------------------------
    Dunlop GrandTrek WTM3 255/50 R19
    Continental 4X4 Winter Contact 275/40 R20

Range Rover
    ----------------------------------------
    Dunlop Wintersport M3 235/65 R18
    Goodyear UltraGrip 255/55 R19
  • enginoneenginone Member Posts: 20
    The Nokian tires appear to have a following on the Discovery forum. Nanuq there has had good results with the Hakkapeliitas (AKA "Hakkas"). They list one size in 18" for the Hakka SUV.

http://www.nokiantires.com/
    Land Rover LR3 wins 2005 Truck Trend Ultimate 4x4 Challenge. Article here:

http://trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_0510_4x4challenge/
    lr3maybe,

I wish! Actually live just northeast of the People's Republic of Boulder. :P
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I use Hakkas on my 4Runner. Lots of grip in snow. They are fairly noisy on pavement -- noticeably more so than the all seasons I run in the summer. But I guess that's to be expected of an aggressive snow tire.
    british_rover, do you have any information regarding the availability of parts for the '06 Parking Pawl Guide Plate recall? I assume any cars that haven't been sold yet and that are within the impacted VIN range can not be sold until it's been replaced?
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    A question about the dashboard for existing owners: How does the dash look at night? Is the lighting white, red, etc. Also, what info is available on the display between the gauges.

It is very hard to tell from the on-line photos but I am curious to how it looks after dark!!

Thanks
  • thalys300thalys300 Member Posts: 4
    Hello!

I bought my lr3 hse from Anaheim Hills in Southern California. I have 4500 miles on it. I have taken my car to the dealer ship twice for the following:

1) Suspension fault - I really didn't have any major problems with it as I have seen with a lot of people in this group. Fault showed up for max 10 times. No issues with driving or anything else. Took it to the dealer and they put a new sensor and it has been fine.

2) Passanger Side door speaker has a cracking sound when high base hits on certain CDs - Took it to the dealer in August and they said they have to order the part. The part has been on order since the 2nd week of August and till today no call back or anything on the parts.

3) I just received a letter from Land Rover about the fuel tank replacement. I didn't have any issues with it, but I guess due to numerous problems they have had with this lander rover is doing this for everyone. I called the dealership during the 3rd week of October and shceduled an appointment for last Wednesday as there was an opening. When I took my car last Wednesday to the dealership the service rep told me that they sent out the letters to everyone a little early and they don't have the fuel tank in stock. I told them that one of the main reasons why I am here today is to get this fixed. Then he called someone and said now they have 2 fuel tanks in stock and gave me an ok to drop off my car. At this time I reminded him about the cracking sound on right passenger speaker and see if the part on order had arrived. Service rep had completely forgotten about this whole issue and since their computers were down they were unable to check anything further. He made a not of that. There were two other items I had to get fixed during this visit, i.e. a squeaking sound from the driver seat when I take a turn or move on the seat. Appears to be coming from loose plastic cover on the automatic seat adjustment knobs. Second item was second row left seat had leather detaching from the seat's back.

I dropped off my car and the dealer gave me a loaner.
    I didn't hear any update on the progress of the repairs or anything for a day and a half so I called and left a mesg for the service rep who took the car. He called me back saying while they were fixing the fuel tank they accidently broke something and the car will not be ready until tomorrow i.e. Monday 11/21/2005. No update on any other items as the first item was not fixed.

The dealer gives me a loaner car every time I take my car in, but it is just getting bit frustrating as it seems like they are not prepared most of the time and taking way to long to fix issues. I owned a bmw before this and really didn't have any issues with service or the car and I feel that land rover is disappointing me a little. I will appreciate any suggestion or input. I was thinking about escalating this to Land Rover and file a complain on the quality of the vehicle and service.

Thank you once again for your time and assistance

Viral
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    That sounds like you hit a bad dealership. I would consider trying another one. My wife has taken her LR3 to LR South Bay in Redondo Beach and the service was excellent. Most of the other dealerships in the area had 2-3 week waiting lists for maintenance service, but South Bay got us in and out in about an hour for the 15k service.
    You are correct any of those cars that are unsold cannot be sold till they are fixed. We don't have any of the recall vehicles in stock so I have not really kept up on parts avalibility for them. I would have to ask our parts manager if he knows anything.
  • hellpiehellpie Member Posts: 9
    Had 7500 mile maintenance scheduled oil change last week. Also had fuel tank switched out per recall notice. Been in possession of car since May and as of yet has performed flawlessly .
  • keithadkeithad Member Posts: 1
    I feel as if I got married too early, and the day after the wedding I'm starting to notice that I'm helplessly in love with a deeply flawed spouse. The spouse in this case is our beautiful Alviston Red/Alpaca LR3 HSE 2006.

I have a few things I want to ask about: 1) Delayed response to acceleration pedal; 2)Navigation system (a $2500 piece of crap); 3) How to fix certain scuffs; 4) The side mirrors auto-dip on reverse; 5) Auto seat-memory response based on which remote unlocks car. If anybody has answers, please respond.

1) Delayed response to acceleration pedal. Intermittently, I notice that when I press the pedal, particularly upon starting from stop, there is a delay. The car moves forward but not with any real power. Then, after a couple of seconds, the normal gearing kicks in. I'm almost completely ignorant about car mechanics, so I'm probably not describing this correctly. But has anybody else seen this?

2)Navigation system (a $2500 piece of crap). Where do I begin? It's needlessly complicated; has a bzillion bells and whistles yet fails to do simply even the most obvious tasks. Case in point, I chose the Land Rover category in Points of Interest, and it showed me only dealers, not the authorized service centers which I knew to be nearby. It's impossible to search on most type of stores (try finding an auto parts store). How do you get it to quickly put up on screen, say, the nearest Starbucks?

3) How to fix certain scuffs. The dark grey plastic siding around the wheels has a scuff. Is there a way of cosmetically fixing scuffs like this, or at least making them less obvious?

4) The side mirrors auto-dip on reverse. Cool feature, but if you back-up and then go straight into the Park position, they don't restore their original positions, even when you start up again and go to Drive. Anybody else noticed this?

5) Auto seat-memory response based on which remote unlocks car. I can't get this to work. I switched it on using the menu system. According to the manual, that's all that's needed. But if I unlock the car with the remote for which the memory seating is set, it doesn't do as it says it should: restore the seating position.

Cheers, Keith
    1) The automatic transmission is adaptive and will try to adjust to your driving style and maintain a decent MPG. See if behaves more to your liking as time goes on. You can also try using "Sport" mode. Remember, this is the heaviest vehicle of it's size and isn't a sports car. :)

2) You are at the mercy of the mapping provider. It's obviously not going to have every POI you want, and it'll never be up-to-date since at most the DVD will be updated yearly. Traditionally, you use street addresses to find destinations. Send LR your feedback.

3) Standard battle woulds for me. Sorry, no idea. I doubt there is much you can do.

4) Works fine for me, though I don't like it... so I have disabled it. Make sure you've programmed it correctly using the instructions.

5) Search for "Lazy Entry" in this forum and you'll find the dealer comments on what to do. This also applies to your 4th question.
    The time has come for new tires. After 42k miles the passenger front tire is showing belts.

I have been looking for the right tire for some time now. I settled on Nokian WR SUV 235/60/18XL. These are 107V rated, so they work great for the heavy beast and the lead foot. Best part, they are snow rated (have the snowflake symbol on them; no chains over the passes this winter). Also have a 50K mileage rating.

After 100 miles they are so quiet compared to the ones I just threw out, I am in love. Handling seems to be equal to the HPs (OEM) when they were new. These are 235, compared to 255 stocks (not as wide). The are also about 1" smaller in diameter.

I will test them in the snow on Friday with a trip planned on some "no winter maintenance" forest roads. I expect packed snow and loose powder to about 15" deep on these trails. I'll report performance when we return, and maybe post a few pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    I also replaced an M-class with an LR3: see http://www.mvw.net/lr3/roadtest.php

Have fun!
    Mike
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    OK, in short order:

- I received tank recall note (LR Canada). I received this note dated October at the end of November: and the dealer had not been told about it (they say), plus LR has no tanks in stock so I cannot even go in for this safetey-related recall. Great organisation!

- Last week I started and drove off: and the LR3 would only driver at 5 mph: no throttle response at all other than that. No errors until I tried the terrain response know: then I got a "system error, no programs available", and later an "engine error". Thge dealer tells me it will take 40 minutes to read out thet error memory. Why: I t should take 2 minutes (hook up computer, press a few buttons, done).

- Question.. I live in Canada. I have never had (or been willing to pay for) snowtyres (I have all-seasons). But so many people say they are a must - what do you all think?

Cheers
    Michael
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    keithad,

I, too, had the severe hesitation on acceleration (engine would roar but not much acceleration). Definitely wasn't normal as it hadn't done that before. Believe it was related to my fuel tank. I had the tank swapped out per the recall and the acceleration is flawless now. The hesitation and engine roar I had been experiencing have disappeared (it's been three weeks now since the swap). Now if I can just get rid of these intermittent suspension faults. They replaced the compressor and the faults are less frequent but still occur (unlike before they are resetable by restarting the vehicle). Good luck.
    Only about one percent of the LR3's involved in the recall have had any problems. If you have not had any problems so far, like stalling or loss of power, then you are fine and just wait till they get some more tanks. We used all of our tanks to take care of people that were having problems with their LR3. Once we took care of them we used a couple of tanks to sell LR3's with the recall.

Reading the error codes is actually a lot more complicated then just hooking up and hiting a few buttons. The little handheld devices that autozone has will read the check engine light error codes that quickly but that is it. To really get into the computer memory of the car and read specific things it takes a lot longer. You have to connect the tech's T4 machine to the car answer some questions about the car and then the two computers converse for a few minutes. Once that is done then the tech can start looking through the cars memory to see what is going on.